Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All Things Porsche

Comments

• highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I suppose when you unleash some true enthusiasts on a bunch of sports cars, it's like unleashing a bunch of guys on the Swedish swimsuit team...they love them all. ;o)

LOL....
  • balapbalap Member Posts: 12
    After some great tips and advice on this forum, have decided to take a plunge with a 2003 Boxster S (instead of the 03 Carrera or 05 Boxster). This one has 6k miles on it and is certified pre-owned, so comes with warranty till 2009/100k. The car is with foll options :Bose Sound System,Black Floor mats,Heated Seats,BiXenon Headlights,18" Carrera Wheels,CD Shelf,Colored Porsche Crest,Cruise Control,Porsche Stability Management,On Board Computer. The list price was 48k looks like I can get it to 45k pre sales tax.

Request 2 things :

1. Any insights on if the price is ballpark right or listed at the right price. Edmunds TMV ranges from 42k - 47k (without CPO). Good deal or not ?

2.Also any insights on things i need to watch out for the Boxster S specifically the 03 model.

Appreciate your inputs, thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I really have no opinion on the price as I don't follow them that closely, but I think that car is a much better choice than the 911... I like the CPO also... a warranty is never a bad thing... PSM is a desirable option..

What color combo is it?

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Sounds like a real nice car -- you should truly like it.

Price: if they['re asking 48k, you should be able to get 45k, I'd think, without blinking. The big factor is the arrival of the new Boxster which makes this one not only 3 model years old but, more importantly, perceived as "the old" model. Have you thought of offering 40k? I'd try to get it between 40-42, especially (depending on where you live) you're a good month ahead of the spring-roadster-buying sales traffic.

Once the new car hits the floors in another month or two, values on the 03 will drop like a rock, remember .... no reason you can't wait if you need to, is there?

JW
    kyfdx, it is black and black seats.

JW, I am in Seattle,WA. You bring up a good point, i had thought that the 03 and 04 boxsters were the same and the 05 was upgraded - is that correct ? And when you are saying 03 is 3 model years old notionally are you refering to the just calendar year and not so much the model itself ? Good perspective,you have made me think on the pricing very differently now.

Thanks
    Just to be clear, balap ... the 05 (which should be seeing its first deliveries any time now!) isn't really an "upgrade" but a brand new model (thus the new numbering for the chassis, 987 replacing 986). There was, indeed, an upgrade of the 986 a couple of years ago -- if designman or speeds2much or one of the other Boxster owners are around they should be able to say which year for sure ... was it 03?

Good luck. JW
    I think the body upgrade came in '03..

The engine and options have been upgraded a few times since the '97 model year.. I think the engine at least twice, if not three times.. and then glass rear window in '01.. and a bunch of other little things...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    That's right, the major facelift came in '03, and the 987 introduced this year is almost completely new.

jwilson1 - 997 vs. 987 is an interesting question, alright, with the coming coupe. I'm not sure when the coupe will be introduced...some sources say Fall '05 and others say Spring '06. I don't think I can wait until next Spring unless I buy a beater to get me through winter. Not such a bad idea, maybe, but then I have to insure it, too. I think Porsche is going to price the coupe higher than the convertible, so the spread between an S Coupe and a base 997 will be about $10k. So someone who really wants the 997 will step up a notch, so to speak. Would the S Coupe be a better drive, though? More balanced, smoother to drive? Tighter dimensions? That could be the case....I'm looking forward to reading the inevitable comparisons in Car magazine. Also will judge for myself. :o))
    HI....I am getting the bug again....and am starting to look at 928s

there is one posted at Devek that has 101,000 miles, but the AC compressor needs to be replaced....any idea how much one will cost ? it is a 1993 model...5 speed. also, he says the airbag lights and some miscellaneous lights sometimes comes on...seems to be like a usual thing for 928s.....I read on one site that it may be the connections...which tend to work loose and warning lights come and go due to this bad connection....any thoughts on this ? He is asking low $20,000...but I don't want to get caught with a lot of repairs....

otherwise OK car...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are you sure 1993? Is it a GTS? Kinda doubt it at that price, so must be a 928S-4. I thought they stopped making those in 1992. Oh well.

Hmmm...if the car is really nice (#2 condition) his price is okay if we presume the AC and airbag light would cost $2,000 to repair both those items.

So you'd be in $22K, which is about low book retail for a #2 car. If there is body damage or bad upholstery, etc. you can start deducting further.

Personally I don't think you should buy it until the electrical glitches are worked out.
    "....I'm looking forward to reading the inevitable comparisons in Car magazine. Also will judge for myself. :o)) "

Now that sounds like fun! And I certainly agree that there will be significant differences in the driving dynamics between the 987 and 997, no matter what the configuration. Of course we're not even talking about power differences, or even weight differences ... you still can't get around the fact that one is mid-engine and the other is rear engine. My guess however is that those differences in dynamics won't be dramatically different from the differences you see/feel now.

I'll bet you're right on pricing, too ... but just to get false hopes going, let's try this logic -- the 997 cabrio costs $10000 more than the 997 coupe ($69300 vs. $79100) ... or about 12.6% less .... would that mean that a Boxster S really "should" sell at, say, 88% of the $53100 tag for an "S", or about $46700?

I think this proves ... it's Friday.

Enjoying my fantasies. JW
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    As I considered your thoughts on the dry sump and RMS, one thing keeps coming to mind. 987 and 997 are said to be "interim" models. As you may know, Enzo Ferrari once said something like "You pay for my engine, the rest of the car is free." The current engines are the same as the previous ones albeit tweaked. It costs a ton of money to develop completely new engines. Could it be that the next generation, which may come as early as 07, will have the newly developed engines sans RMS concerns and with a return to the dry sump? Corvette has it. Not sure if it is both C06 and Z06 or just the latter.

Now, is it our birthright to have a car that doubles as ultimate street and track car? Or is this just a case of Porsches always seeming be out of our financial reach? Maybe the GT3 is the Porsche you knew 10 years ago? Wow, that's expensive! Weren't they always?

I think Porsche did a pretty good job of putting their genes into a car that is available to mere mortals like myself. That said, I can appreciate your lament. If I tracked my car, I would not want the specter of a blown engine due to oil starvation looming in my head. But maybe the hardcore purists will have to start seeing the 911 Carrera as the mid-level Porsche.
    Hey, designman, good to hear from you!

And thanks for the thoughtful reply and disagreement.

Sure, I'm one of those who are hopeful that the next gen 911/Boxster designs eliminate the RMS boondoggle ... there's no reason that can't be engineered out, afaik, and (as I've argued) should have been corrected in this iteration. As a purchaser, development costs aren't really of interest.

I am much more doubtful about seeing a return to a dry sump ... just a matter of cost, I believe, but much smarter engineer types than I have also argued that the wet version is actually preferable in a water-cooled. Couldn't prove it by me, I'm afraid. The focus of my argument was on the insistence on cost-cutting and then the marketing dept.'s pervarication in trying to find a way to describe the system according to its traditional design .... seems dishonest to me still.

Just an fyi: my car listed for $53,900 in '93 ... certainly, given inflation, that reflects a similar current cost to a 997, at least I'm guessing. What is now the GT-3 or GT-3RS would be equivalent to the RS models of the past. The only car that is equivalent to what I'm driving now is the current Carrera 2 .... which has the problems I'm complaining about.

But I think your argument still has validity. I'm not sure I'm a hardcore purist, but just as we currently have the Boxster and the std. C-2, C-4 at one end of the pecking order, so in the past we had such cars as the 914, the 928, 944, 968, etc., all of which were described as "not real" Porsches by the 'purist' types. They are quite good cars, very fast, but some were water cooled, some had 4 cyl. engines, some were very small 'scooters' but all were good cars and quite fast. Just like we have now.

So your argument, I think, is valid even if we want to quibble over whether one of the cars is a valid analogy for another.

But the days of the 911, and its engine, being the ultimate at Porsche are truly over. Now the operation is more like US automakers have been, producing one car for the track, then providing a cosmetic package for a watered down version to be marketed to the great unwashed (that's us). So Porsche will continue to put out great cars, with even more extravagant prices than (I think) are required, but will market watered down packages that have similar names and cosmetics as the track cars, but cost less and certainly can't be used the same way. Very un-Porsche.

But a moot point for almost everyone else, I'll bet.

Thanks again. JW
    Hi shifty:

the guy just drove it over the Bay Bridge tonight (Sunday)....kinda dark to see it...

I drove it...the clutch kinda engages and releases high....lots of play in the first few inches....

it did say 1993 GTS....but no cold air...and airbag light was on . Needed new tires too...the Bridgestones were worn...but the guy said he just got alignment....so just need tires... upholstery looks OK...but the vents in the rear had some missing vanes....no cracks on dash...but some stone chips on hood, front end, and some minor chips on windshield. It had 101,000 miles. KInda high...and I don't think he changed all the timing belts , hoses, etc....

I think the repairs and miscellaneous items

AC, paint fix, vents, tires, hoses, belts, etc...will run over $5000...

so I am going to think about it ,....and may offfer a lower price to compensate for the condition ...

thanks for your advice....

I liked the chrome wheels....and the bypass exhaust....may consider bringing it to DEVEK to have all checked out...but Susan there said it will cost about $200 for the check...

the car does feel a little heavy with the manual transmission.....kinda hoped it would be auto...?!

I'll make a decision this week... :-)
    You could also check with Hi-Tec Automotive in San Rafael. Very well schooled shop in 928s. # is 415 258 9619, talk to Deven. Would be cheaper than Devek.

If they aligned the car with bad tires, they'll just have to do the alignment over again. Not many shops know how to align 928s, they are very tricky to get right. A good shop is Dependable Tire and Brake, also in San Rafael. They know that you align, drive the car, let it settle and re-align it. If you don't do that, your 928 will never be right.

GTS is a very desirable car, and worth more than an S4. REALLY fast, too, even by 2005 standards. Not much more than a Corvette or Viper to challenge you out there.

• billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    I've heard that the '964' edition of the 911 is undesirable compared to the '993'. Market pricing seems to bear that out, because low mileage 993's seem to be in the mid-$40Ks and up. But, I have a chance to buy a very mint '93 911/964 cabriolet C2 (5spd, 18,000 original miles) and - to be blunt - I think it's a gorgeous car, kind of the perfect blend of the old design with the first decent interior. Subjective, I know, but somehow it works for me.

I'm going to check it out this week, and will get a PPI at the local Porsche dealer before closing the deal.

Questions for this group:

Did Porsche get the flywheel and oil leak issues sorted out by the 1993 model year?

Ditto for the self-destructing distributor belts?

Are there other black marks against the 964 I should know about?

Looking for some guidance here. The car's not cheap, and I don't want to buy "the bad one" just 'cause it looks nearly perfect. I'm looking to use it as a weekend car, not a daily driver, here in San Diego.

Thanks all!
    You hit me right where it hurts! I own a '93 -- now as to which car is better, you'll find as many different opinions as you will owners. The big charm of the 993 -- everyone will admit -- is cosmetics and horsepower; lots of folk prefer the slanted-back headlights of the 993, and of course it has 20-40 more horsepower, depending on the year. Obviously, I agree with your assessment on looks.

1) Flywheel and leaking seal were fixed by redesign for '92. That said, many (most?) Porsches have oil leaks -- the factory manual for the air-cooleds will suggest you should be able to lose a quart/liter every 1000 mi. or so and still be within norms. (Mine loses 1/3 qt. every 1500 miles.)But with over 14 quarts to work with, none of that is catastrophic.

2) The distributor vent kit likewise was added for '92. If it isn't on the car for some stupid reason, you can do it yourself for under $10. Changing out the belt so that you have a fresh one there is a good idea in a car that is over 10 years old, however, and that will be more expensive.

3) No other specific 964 problems. But all the air-cooleds need to be within precise valve adjustment specs so if it hasn't been tuned recently, I'd budget for that. About the time you get it up to 70-100k for mileage you will have to look at replacing valve guides, etc.

You don't say anything about paper. A car with 18000 miles should have every speck of paper with it. MIssing paper and/or maintenance records are worth a hefty deduction from value in most people's book.

You do mention going to the Porsche dealer for a PPI. The PPI is essential, of course, and I'm glad you're planning to do that ... but I urge you to not take it to a dealer. Dealer mechanics haven't had to work on air cooled machinery since 1999 and very many of them are clueless about diagnostic work. Instead, seek out a good independent Porsche mechanic (check with the local PCA members .... easily found on the national website) and let him tell you what you really have ... even if all the paper is there.

Though you don't mention options, etc., Bruce Anderson lists the present retail value of a 93 C2 Cab in Excellent condition (i.e., top notch, all paper, no mechanical work needed, etc.) at $36588. The extremely low mileage would allow for an additional 10%.

Let me offer a personal opinion. I'd be hesitant to buy a car with such low mileage. If it has been well-maintained, the problems with it should not be discouraging. But the depreciation would drive me nuts -- I mean at that low mileage you are probably paying a premium of around $5000 for the car. Unless it is going to be a garage queen, every time you drive it you're going to be flushing a lot more money than you need to. When I searched for mine two years ago, that was why I looked for a car with about 30000 miles. Now, I would be looking in the 40000 range.

Hope this helps. Be sure to keep us posted -- it'd be nice to have another air-cooled fan on site!

Best wishes, JW
  • billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    Thanks for this - sounds like '93 is the best of the 964s. Yeah, the engine sounds like an actual engine, and the wind tunnel hadn't eroded what was left of the original concept. I was never a fan of the earlier 'accordion'-style bumpers, either, so the 964's always looked nicely sculpted to me.

Good points about the paperwork and PPI. Yes, I had thought to get it done at a local dealer, because the car is out of town. The seller didn't mention that all the paperwork was available but, if the original owner was that obsessive about it, you would think it would be.

The mileage is kind of low. But it is documented. Question is whether the car sat for years at time without being run. That's usually bad news for seals and rubber parts.

Price: He's asking $44K, which is - um - optimistic. I can get a 2001 996 cabrio in the mid $40K's with low mileage -- not the same kind of car, but 8 years newer. If he's willing to drop down a bit, I could see it. I called about the car 2 weeks ago. It's near Denver, and frankly February isn't convertible season.

I'm OK with the distributor belt replacement, etc. If I didn't want to take care of the car I'd be over on the Lexus forum ;-) But I'll find out about the distributor kit. Unless I see paperwork for a valve adjustment, I'll assume it needs one.

I think all 911's leak, maybe the one thing the Germans learned from the British auto industry. I remember asking a mechanic about the chronic dripping from my ex-'76 MGB and he said sometimes they leaked in the showroom.

Anyway jwilson, thanks the advice!
    I really wasn't disagreeing with you. Perhaps I have a different tolerance level as I am not into the track scene—yet. As this is my first Porsche, and having loved them for a real long time, I guess I am foraging for reasons to remain optimistic while enjoying what I have now. However, I will consider disagreeing with you more in the future… hey, I got another great missive out of you didn't I?

Have you been following the story of the guy who went to lemon arbitration against Porsche and to his surprise found out that they had a complete record of his track activities? Also, Porsche can apparently document the way a car is driven—missed downshifts, rev patterns etc—by way of on-board computers. Talk about torqueing off the track rats. This is getting interesting.
    And for my part I sure don't intend to discourage anyone! I still believe that, if you want a sports car, Porsche is the best there is ... any model, any year. Yeah, I'm over the top with the comment, but isn't that why we buy, and dote on, the marque we chase?

The guy with the arbitration issues is brand new to me! Link? I'm curious about it, because I know they've also been willing to replace engines and those $12k PCCB brakes for people with much track use. Otoh, I've heard that the computers do that sort of record-keeping, too.

OT: a friend of mine who is big on his Ferraris tells me that Ferrari's computers track usage also, but in their case the original owner (of, say, the Enzo) has had to sign a statement promising to drive the car the way it was "intended." He said Ferrari has indicated they have the right to take a car back if it is not driven hard enough! Don't know if that's ever been done, but I love the attitude.

JW
    thanks shifty...

I'lll give them a call...and make an offer on the GTS. San Rafael is only across the Richmond bridge from me...probable closer than Redwood City from where I am.

I heard that the alignment was tricky and the tires had to settle in....

I'll keep you up to date...thanks

:-)
    For the arbitration thread I mentioned, look for my post in the "What else do you drive" thread in which you recently posted. Posting the link here is against the rules and I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention the site. Would like to hear your response. Thanks.
    I seriously doubt Ferrari would give anyone their money back willingly, but it's a nice story.

If your car is a GTS and it's in good shape, you could be getting a good deal. A GTS sells for considerably more than an S4.

Hi-Tec is a great shop for 911s and 928s. You couldn't be in better hands.
    Re: C7S (Porsche Boxster Coupe)

There's finally some decent rumor material making its way onto the internet. First of all, the artists' renditions of the coupe make it look stunning...reminds my vaguely of the new Ferrari 612 GT, but with a shorter wheelbase. What gets me about this car the most, really, is that it almost seems to muscle the 997 right out of the lineup....

First of all, rumor says the C7S is beating the 997 in lap times, although it will be priced about GBP 8,000 less than the 997. It would have a 300 hp engine, putting it squarely between the 987 S and the 997 in terms of HP, plus a low center of gravity and the mid engine. Brakes might be standard ceramic, wheels may be 19" standard. It would be pitched as a pure driver's car, whereas the 997 and 987 would be more GT-oriented. A lower-priced version with a lesser engine may follow. With a fixed roof, though, the car would be a good GT car, as well.

So why would someone buy a 997 over the coupe? Definately not performance. 19" wheels may make for a punishing ride. That's about all I can say in favor of a 997, according to this information. Backseat? How many people really care? Maybe the coupe will be more cramped and have a stiffer ride, or have less insulation. If the 997 does not have a noticable edge in terms of comfort and refinement (i.e., more GT-oriented), then the 997 is going to whither on the vine. It's almost as if Porsche is pushing the 997 out, slowly....

Any other thoughts?
    "It's almost as if Porsche is pushing the 997 out, slowly...."

What an interesting concept! Boy, would that move ever make the you-know-what hit the rotating air-movement blades!

Your suggestion is, then, that the "C7S" would replace the 911 as we know it, and the "new" 911 would be limited to the GT3, the Turbo, GT2, etc.?

This assumes they're willing to kill of the cash cow they've got. Seems to me they're too profit-oriented for that move, but if the Boxster becomes popular enough .......... who knows?

JW
    "Your suggestion is, then, that the "C7S" would replace the 911 as we know it, and the "new" 911 would be limited to the GT3, the Turbo, GT2, etc.?"

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. The 911 goes upmarket back to the track-ready platforms and the mid-engine C7S moves up a notch with bigger engines, etc. I wonder whether a 997 engine would fit into the C7S platform? But as you say, the 911 is such a cash cow, we'd have to see 997 sales crash in favor of the C7S before this would come to pass....maybe they do it in the NEXT generation of models.

...but it still begs the question: why buy the 997 if the C7S can out-track it, has a longer wheelbase and great styling? Only if the 997 is suitably more refined would the price be justified, no?
    As long as Porsche still calls it the "911", it will sell... Regardless of whatever else they sell that might perform better, etc... I don't think it will happen the way you describe, IMHO..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

hi
    I have a quote from the Porsche dealership in Seattle, WA. A 2005 Boxster (Basalt black Metallic color), heated front seats, sound package plus, windstop deflector, automatic climate control, 18" boxster S Wheel, The MSRP was 48930 (incl destination charge). It is the showroom car used for test drives et al and has about 200 miles on it. The deal on lease we were quoted was as follows for 12k/yr for 36 months :

Sale price - $47000
    Downpayment - $1413(incl first instalment)
    Monthly $818(pre tax)
    They claim the residual would be 56%.

Does this deal look good ? Also since it was used for test drives, is there anything I should ask them to cover like brake pads/clutch in the first year or so for free.
    Thanks
    You can borrow $47K for just $880/mo for 60 months at 4.65% (which I've seen advertised).

At a 56% residual, that lease payment seems awfully high.. If that is the best they can do, you'd be much better off purchasing it..

After 36 months on the purchase, you would owe $20,117.. add back the extra $2232 in payments ($880 - $818 = 62 X 36 = $2232).. And after three years your outstanding balance is $22,349.

56% of $48,930 is $27,400, the residual value of the lease.

In effect, the lease cost is $5050 more than financing.. So, either the lease program is really crappy, or the dealer is trying to screw you somewhere.. I think it may be a combination of both...

A decent lease payment, with current interest rates, shouldn't be more than $15 per thousand of MSRP...and that is including tax.. ($15 X 48.930 = $734 including tax)

Anything over that, and you are definitely better off purchasing... or shopping at a different dealer..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks a lot for your feedback kyfdx. appreciate your inputs.
    Hey, next time I shop, will you come along? Wow.

JW
    Sure.. as long as I get to drive the Porsche on weekends!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hot off the press...Porsche's web site has a video for the upcoming Boxster Coupe. They're not showing the product yet but the video's slick.

It's going to be positioned between the Boxster S and 997, 295 hp, as jwilson1 and I were saying. I do think this will hurt 997 sales. If the car looks as great as Porsche is hinting in its press releases, many who are not necessarily 911 purists will be hard-pressed to justify the extra $$$ for the 997. (Like me...) However, someone who goes for a Cayman S who was previously considering a 997 may feel "rich" and pile on more custom options, so it may be more profitable for Porsche than the 997.

designman...what would you say about spending an extra $3k for Dark Olive Metallic instead of taking the free Black?
    Did you see the article and pic in Inline? You were right about price, too, speeds2much.

I'm glad it's a little bigger than the Boxster as I had trouble finding a comfortable position in the 986.

JW
    Yep, sometimes I get lucky. :o)

Missed the Inline article, but I did check out GermanCarFans and a few UK sites. The car looks fantastic and I like the concept behind the name (fast reptilian predator), but it's too bad some people are already bashing the name because it can be, how to say this, twisted around. ...Of course, the 997 has an "overweight" rap of its own. I always say buy what you like, period.
  • indyeindye Member Posts: 2
    hello all.
    Being that Porsche has launched their teaser campaign to stall out buyers and turn their heads "this way", has anyone read anything as deliveriy of the C7S to dealerships?
    I am one who, (as someone wrote), is not a 911 purist, but WAS a week from buying a 997. And this comes along. Crap. Almost feel that I have to now wait and see this Cayman. From what I've seen It's beautiful.
    -indye
    You have good taste. Love the dark olive. Works with black and all of the earth-tone interiors. You probably know this but look at the cylindrical samples at the dealer in sunlight. The small swatches in the brochure can be misleading and the olive in the catalog looks almost black. I could see myself with an olive Boxster, deep tan ragtop and custom brown leather. I never cared for monochromatic matches.

Is it worth the extra dough? Your call. I assume you are leasing because I can practically guarantee that color will not be popular. I’ve come to the conclusion that most people are chicken when it comes to color and they run from anything with green in it. Except money of course ;-)

There was time when Porsche made a color called Granite Green, a very sophisticated color IMO. Calling it green was quite stretch. If memory serves me correctly it was actually a medium gray metallic with an ever-so-subtle hint of olive. Would have bought it in a fingersnap. However to this day I have yet to see one on the road. Not sure if they even sold one.
    You got right to the heart of my question. In the Porsche brochure, the olive green looks practically black. Then I'd also worry more about paint matching after any unfortunate event.

Wow, olive Boxster with deep tan ragtop and custom brown...has a hint of British sportscar, but richer and more sophisticated. The Terracota interior with dark olive...that would be at the top of list, too, money permitting.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    death of the 911. Let's face it, a rear-engined-car is a bad idea. The once-wild 911 Turbo can be driven by a pimple-face 15-year-old with an automatic transmission! Notice how many racecars besides the 911 have a rear-mounted engines.

The 2005 911 is still suffering from RMS leaks (rear main seal). This has been going on with water-cooled Porsche sports cars since the 1997 Boxster and Porsche won't fix it!

It is bad enough that they had to sell out and make an SUV but to not fix the RMS leak?
    xkss… I agree that Cayman could be the seed of this possibility. The market is demanding increases in power. For the 911 this would seem to require bringing the engine forward. They just can't keep adding weight back there. And a 911 without a rear engine is not a 911.

The more I think about the Cayman configuration, the more I think it is a test for the future "911". I can't see Cayman conquering new markets. I believe it may be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Cayman should get a piece of both Boxster and 911 markets, and depending on how it is received may determine the future of the 911.

A base-Boxster Cayman would probably bring in new low-end buyers, but one that transcends the Boxster S at $60+K could only sell to existing enthusiasts IMO, especially since drop-tops account for the majority of their non-SUV sales. I have to believe Porsche knows this and is calculating its moves accordingly. I don't think for one minute that Cayman is a market-expansion vehicle. However, corporate spin will probably suggest otherwise.

The death of the 911 sounds like heresy but somewhere down the road a 400+ hp mid-engine 911-priced Porsche would not be such a shabby proposition. Indeed, the eye of the tiger may be focused on a certain crocodile.

"Let's face it, a rear-engined-car is a bad idea."

Well, riding bulls in a rodeo is a bad idea too ;-)

"The 2005 911 is still suffering from RMS leaks (rear main seal). This has been going on with water-cooled Porsche sports cars since the 1997 Boxster and Porsche won't fix it!"

Not all RMS Porsches have the RMS problem. As a matter of fact, 911s and Boxsters have done quite well with reliability. I try to stay optimistic. There aren't many alternatives to a Porsche. You have to play with the cards you are dealt.

"You have been reading about the bad break I got.
    Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

I wonder what that was about. Did Lou Gehrig hit the RMS lotto or something?

;-)
    Something else I'll throw into this discussion. Reuters reported that the Cayman will be 3x as profitable as the Boxster. I wonder how profit per car will compare to that of the 997.
  • visorvisor Member Posts: 8
    This is my first experience with buying a porsche. I have got 3 options below from a WA dealer. Since the prices are in the same range, I am leaning towards the boxster S.
    1) Appreciate if someone could help me with which is the best of the 3 options?
    2) Is there anything specific I need to check?
    3) And how much can I negotiate down from the quoted price?

2004 Brand new Seal Grey Boxster
    Black Top
    Graphite Grey Standard Leather
    Bose (Digital) with Wind stop
    Xenon Headlights
    18" Lt Alloy Carrerra Wheels
    CD Shelf Center Console
    Wheel Caps with Colored Crests
    Cruise Control
    Remote Control Alarm System
    Graphite Grey Floor Mats
    MSRP of $51805
    Sale Price of $45177

2004 Atlas grey boxster
    Certified Preowned
    17-inch Boxster S II wheel
    Automatic air conditioning
    BOSE® (Digital) with Windstop
    CD Shelf Center Console
    Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Litronic Headlights with Washer
    Remote Control Alarm
    Wheel Caps with Color Crest
    Sale Price of $44995
    Negoed down to 42995

2003 Black Boxster S
    Certified Preowned
    18" Carrera Wheel
    Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Hi-Fi Sound Package (Digital)
    Litronic Headlights with Washer
    On Board Computer
    Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
    Remote Control Alarm
    Wheel Caps with Color Crest
    Wind Deflector
    Sale Price of $44995
    May come down to 42995

Hope this is the right forum for this query. Thanks.
    I thought the best of the three was actually a combination of them :)

I like the idea of a new car but I also prefer 17" wheels.

I'm no help am I?
    #1 would probably be the best buy.. Something tells me you could get $8K off MSRP on a leftover '04...

I agree with shifty.. 17" wheels are a lot less hassle and the tires are 2/3 the price of the 18". But, the price on #2 might be the worst deal of the three.

Only buy the Boxster S, if you absolutely have to have the power.. You don't give the mileage on the used units, but I'd say the '03 Boxster S should sell for closer to $40K.

I'd pick option #1, if I could get it around $44K.. Plus, that is my favorite color... as if that matters.. Maybe they'd even knock off a thousand and swap for those 17" wheels on the CPO unit.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• visorvisor Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Shiftright and kyfdx. thatz a good point on the wheels which actually got me excited initially, but i see the point. spoke to them but looks like the price is not gonna come down much. will explore the option to swap wheels when meeting them tomorrow. i was looking forward to driving a speed yellow:) but what the heck, seal grey looks cool too. thanks again.
    I just got the Porsche email about the Cayman also....

but I was disappointed that its not going to be a 4 door, 4 seater..GT tourer....a 928 replacement... :-(

any one know how it looks ? I could not get any pictures of the Cayman . Just got the new Chrisotphorus issue....and it did not even talk about the Cayman....

what's with Porsche naming the cars with "Cay" prefixes ? Cayenne, Cayman, .. ? ;-)

wouldn't numbers ala 911 be better...or are they really not the sports cars that Porsche wanted them to be ... ?
    I offered $16,000 for the 928...1993 GTS. considering it had some electrical issues, needed AC pump, paint repair, glass repair, and had 110,000 miles...

he wanted $20,000....which would be OK if it did not have all those issues...which may not be minor....

saw some nice ones on ebay....but got outbid... :-(

still looking.. .....
    Why don't you call Hi-Tec and have them build you up a car? They have a white 928 automatic that needs a transmission. Clean car otherwise.

A very clean GTS with no problems and decent miles should be worth $30K.

If you are buying an older 928, an automatic is way better than any 928 with a dual-disk clutch system. (up to 1987 I think).
    OK...I'll give them a call...

I really want a automatic...because
    1- according to many people, the auto is better in the 928....due to weight
    2- I am not really comfortable with the layout shift pattern of the 928...where 1st gear is bottom left, instead of top left .
    Yes, it's called the LeMans transmission I believe. The shift pattern...well, you get used to it, but you can get confused sometime when downshifting, that's true. The stickshift 928s up to 1987 are a bear to drive...not because of the transmission but because of that 2-disk clutch. It hangs up on you, and doesn't release very quickly. You 'll have some clutch problem or another every 10,000 miles, I guarantee it.