Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maohaomaohao Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote from the dealer, a new one with wood steering, shift know, trunk mat, wheel nut for 48000, and one with 2k mile with same thing, but with extended 5yr/7yr powertrain warrenty for 48000, are those fair price. should I wait for it to go down little more, seems the dealer had a lot of RL in stock that is not moving. Also, I really like the back up camera and laser cruise control the RL doesn't offer. Thanks.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    In my opinion a used RL (2000 miles) for $48K is NOT a good price at all. I have rec'd quotes here in Houston for mid to upper $44K and I KNOW I can get one for less. Other forums are reporting sales in the upper $43s for a new one.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Also, I really like the back up camera and laser cruise control the RL doesn't offer. Thanks.

I've commented before, but while the back-up camera is nice, the back-up sensors I had installed are perfectly adequate for me. Also, in theory, the laser cruise control sounds nice. However, a friend has one and has quit using it since whenever another car changes lanes with inadequate clearance, it feels like the brakes are being stomped. As a result, he only uses it in light traffic situations where it really isn't necessary anyway.
  • dphidphi Member Posts: 3
    For nebraskguy:
    Can you tell me how the dealer installed backup sensor system gives you information? Is it audible? Is it integrated into the Nav display? I just test drove a new LS430 with the B/U camera and was completely underwhelmed by the camera's abilities. I think the Lexus Parktronic sensor system alone would have been enough. That said, I hope it to be true for the RL as well.
    Can you tell me how the dealer installed backup sensor system gives you information? Is it audible?

Yes, it's audible. As you back towards an object, you hear a series of beeps that grow more rapid as you get closer. When you're about one foot from the object, the beeps become one long sound. If you keep going, you get another series of beeps that are louder than the first set. In the second series of beeps, you get one long sound when you're about 1" from the object - makes parallel parking a snap. It works quite well, actually, though I wish the beeps were a little louder. It also beeps if an object is sligthly to the side and the rear. This is nice in parking garages where there are columns and other objects.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    How much did they charge to install this option? Can you shut if off or is it always on?
    How much did they charge to install this option? Can you shut if off or is it always on?

I'm not sure how much I paid, but it was somewhere around $500. I'm sure it's negotiable, especially now that RLs are apparently not moving as fast as dealers would like. No, you can't shut it off, it's always on.
  • robertashrobertash Member Posts: 13
    I calculate that to $48,866. Plus $800 in extras and approx $200 for tags. This sounds like a few hundred less than $50K
    Also, I really like the back up camera and laser cruise control the RL doesn't offer.

I was talking to a coworker this morning and remembered he'd had both - backup sensors on his last BMW and backup camera on his FX. I asked him which he preferred. He said no contest - backup sensors. He said there are several problems with a backup camera:

1. You have to focus your attention on the screen instead of looking all around
    2. If you're parallel parking with a small, low car behind you, it's hard to tell when you get too close
    3. When it's raining, if your camera lens gets spattered, everything gets distorted

As a result, he said the only time he really depends on it is in our awful parking garage at work with all its pillars and other obstructions.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Msu78gt82 shared : "" Other forums are reporting sales in the upper $43s for a new one. "" What other forums? I agree paying 48K is nuts and BAD deal.

Let me know..

Mike
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    PS.. This forum has been slow of late, does that show lack of interest in the RL :confuse:
    Both here and on acurazine :shades:
  • wgmacwgmac Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the 2005 Acura RL for $43,268, this past weekend, with splash guards and wheel locks. The weekend before they wanted $45,700 for the same car. One of the salesmen said in passing that "the factory is offering support to help clear the 2005 RLs". I hope this cheers some of you out there. I couldn't wait any longer. I chose the Lakeshore Silver with the taupe interior.
    I just bought the 2005 Acura RL for $43,268

Contgrats on the purchase of a great car at a fantastic price! You'll love the car.
    Thanks! I'm still getting use to the looks. It's so different from my old 1998 RL! Mainly the front hood area, it's so abbreviated. My wifes a sweetheart,.... she took over the 1998, and I drive the 2005 most of the time.
    I'm still getting use to the looks. It's so different from my old 1998 RL! Mainly the front hood area, it's so abbreviated.

Yes, it is. I went from a 99RL to the 05. The only thing I don't like is that you can't see either the front end or the back end which makes parallel parking a challenge. I had the backup sensors installed which really helps.
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    Wow, that's about $1k below invoice! What part of the country do you live? I was quoted invoice about a week ago. I'm not sure that's such a great deal now. . . The "special support" you're talking about - - do you think the factory raised the dealer hold-back amount? I think dealer hold-back was about 2%.
  • jfine1jfine1 Member Posts: 3
    acura 05 rl
    1400 down, also take care of last saab payment of 450
    36month /12miles/yr
    615 +tax/month
  • bluzzzzmanbluzzzzman Member Posts: 21
    Just saw an ad from a local Acura dealer. (D.C. Area) '05 RL's...$41,900!!
  • mightyomightyo Member Posts: 21
    I just saw my local Acura dealer. He said that they have a new incentive program that just started on Saturday, June 11th, 2005 through Honda Finance. It's about $ 3,500 down and $ 599 / month for 48 months. Unfortunately, you add 7 % Cook County, IL tax and doc. fee etc.... it jumps to about $ 725 / month. Or, I could put down $ 7,000 or $ 7,500 / month (I forget) to get the payments back down to
    $ 599.

My company budget is $ 550 / month inclusive. Does anyone think that the 2006's coming on board will get the lease down to the $ 550 / month inclusive? Maybe on a used 2005? Or am I smoking Crack?
    Bluzzzman - Would you mind revealing the dealer in DC that advertised that price??? I'm looking for one in the DC area. . . thx.

"Just saw an ad from a local Acura dealer. (D.C. Area) '05 RL's...$41,900!! "
    Sure. It was Pohanka Acura. They are in Chantilly, VA. I'm sure other dealers in the area would have to match or come close to that price. All seem to have a lot of stock and need to clear out the '05's as '06's will be on their way in a few short months.

http://www.pohankaacura.com/en_US/
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    That is no deal... that is the advertised lease that they've had for months..

Leasing in Illinois is not advantageous from a sales tax standpoint... I'd concentrate on getting a low selling price (below invoice?), and finance the purchase...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"Sure. It was Pohanka Acura. They are in Chantilly, VA."

I was working with Pohanka last week - they gave me an offer at invoice. Can you tell me where you saw the ad., Washington Post, local paper, TV, etc?
    The ad was on either ABC7 or 9 5PM local news..not sure which. Was last evening. Could have been a "from 41,900" with "one at this price" deal...did not see the fine print as it went by quickly. I thought I had heard that the factory was giving the dealers a new incentive as of a few days ago to move em though.
  • mightyomightyo Member Posts: 21
    My company has given me a budget to lease a car for $ 550. Do any of you see that number in the future for a 2005 RL? This includes tax etc...
    Not really... A really strong lease deal on any car with a $50K MSRP would be $600/mo. tax included..

That is about as low as I ever see the RL going..... not even sure it will get down that low....

If the budget is $550, you should probably be looking at cars with an MSRP of $35K-$45K at most..

regards,
    kyfdx

PS.. I'm assuming 3yr/45K...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Was at the dealership during lunch and basically offered an RL for $100 over Invoice.
    Just saw the ad again. This time I was waiting for it and got all the info. Seems it's for '05 certified pre-owned RL's..maybe demos or such. Sorry for the false alarm.
    i got an offer
    1400 down and they pay my last payment on my old car.(450)
    615month+tax for 36month , 12/yr
    i think this is good how do you figure what they are seeling it for then
  • cartalk1cartalk1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm not a lease calculation expert, but if the Cap Cost (or selling price) of an RL is about $43,300, as appears elsewhere on this forum, and the cost of money is around 5% or money factor .00208, and the residual is 60% on a 36 month 12K/yr. lease, then with sales tax at 6%, my calculations indicate that $550 is possible. Again, I'm not a lease expert, but based on my assumptions above there's a chance. Of course, the sun and the moon and the stars may all have to be perfectly aligned. Has anyone gotten a $550/mo. lease on an RL?
    Hmmm.. I haven't looked up the numbers... But, I'd guess that the money factor from AHFC is probably .0024

If I use your assumptions, but a selling price of $44,300, which is invoice (and realistic, I think)... I get a price of $557/mo + tax.. But, of course, if you roll in the acquistion fee, and just pay 1st payment and security deposit upfront, then the payment becomes $578/mo + tax or $613/mo. including tax..

$613/mo. including tax..... I think that is realistically the best deal you could get... for 3yr/36K..

Assuming our assumptions are correct.... That might be a tough deal to get, though...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cartalk1cartalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Agree. I was only using a selling price that I saw elsewhere on the forum. Clearly that depends on the dealer, geography, inventory, etc.

But here's a curious question, if (and this is just a hypothetical) AHFC was offering 2.9% interest on a purchase, why do they insist on a 5.76%(.0024 MF) on a lease. Is there a financial reason other than taking advantage of the leasing customer because they have fewer leasing options?
    IMO, it just comes down to marketing.. And, perhaps the mix of purchases/leases.. I'm guessing if 80% of the people are leasing, then AHFC may want to incentivize purchases, to minimize the number of RLs they might have to sell in three years...

For some reason, I think that RL drivers tend to be buyers, rather than leasers... Just my unscientific opinion.... And, APRs are a lot easier for the consumer to grasp than a low money factor... Most people don't have an extensive knowledge of how leasing works.. They only know the payment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

For some reason, I think that RL drivers tend to be buyers, rather than leasers...

Maybe it's because many of us buy our Acuras to keep for long periods, instead of trading them off every three years, or so. I personally know six Acura owners, including myself. Only one of us tends to keep our cars less than five years. My history is 8 1/2 years, 5 1/2 years, and my new RL, which I intend to keep for a long time. I personally don't think leasing makes any sense unless you trade often.
  • rlsteverlsteve Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum. The information saved me a ton of money by letting me know what "real" deals were being done.

I bought my new Opulent Blue Pearl RL last night from Tustin Acura in SoCal for $43,000, + $601 for the wood steering wheel and +151 for wheel locks & trunk tray. I was able to get a VIN number > 20000 with only 4 miles on it, it had just arrived this week!

BTW, I had three dealers at this price (Tustin Acura, Cerritos Acura, and Power Acura of South Bay). Gosh, it's good to live in an area with so many competing dealers!
  • acura4acura4 Member Posts: 4
    I was requested and was offered the following deal on a new RL - just off the truck - not a demo. 36 month lease, no money down, inception (first month, bank fee, motor vehicle, no doc fee) - 625 per month (including taxes) for 36 months, 18,000 miles per year. Any opinion on if you think this is a good deal?
    Yes... Cheapest deal we've seen on these boards..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

great deal better then mine, what state
    That deal is for New Jersey, and it includes NJ tax. I was very happy with the deal but had to work to get it.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    With 15 RLs on the front lot and "more" on the side lot, Prestige Acura of Santa Rosa, CA is offering a lease at $495 per month with $3,300 down + title/license for 48 months.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Sorry, forgot to mention that.
  • njdriver3njdriver3 Member Posts: 1
    which dealer did you go to?
    I bought my RL for $43,268 plus another $499 in dealer fees, so the total was actually $43,767. This is in Jacksonville Florida.

It had a problem with the door locks which they fixed in one visit. The problem was a loose cable connection to the right front door lock. The Door wouldn't open from the inside and the doors would sometimes auto-unlock when you stop at a light. There is also still a soft rattle from inside the right side of the dash. They worked on it but it's still there. I'll have them check it the next time I'm in.

All in all the car has been great. Here's some good news: At a steady 63-65 mph, with the air on, the trip computer will show 32 mpg! Of course you need the cruise control on to hold it there. :shades:
    Orignially was quoted the deal by Springfield Acura but actually picked up the car at Clinton Acura. I also checked out Denville Acura and they probably would have been in the same price range. Bridgewater Acura wouldn't touch that deal, they wanted something like $640 with an additional $1000 down. Those are the four (4) dealers that I talked to. I liked Clinton and Denville best for the sales and sales managers - good people.
  • bobby423bobby423 Member Posts: 8
    here is the lease deal. seems straightforward. what else do I need to know or be wary of?

2005 RL AHFC STANDARD FEATURED LEASE Terms
    Lease rates available on all new 2005 RL models. FEATURED LEASE*: Available in all states except Alaska and Hawaii on 2005 RL with Automatic Transmission (Model KB1655KW) for $599.00 per month for 48 months with a $2,500.00 capitalized cost reduction. $3,694.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month’s payment, capitalized cost reduction and AHFC upfront acquisition fee. Security deposit waived); total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, registration, options and the like). Not all buyers may qualify. SUBJECT TO LIMITED AVAILABILITY. Offer valid from 06/11/2005 through 07/05/2005. *The specific featured lease listed is not available to New York residents. New York residents should contact their dealer for New York featured lease. Terms and conditions vary for New York Residents. In addition, AHFC limits leasing terms to 39 months or less to residents and dealers in the state of Rhode Island.
  • melenciomelencio Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from Metro Acura in Montclair, Ca. The lease deal is for $499.00 per month for 48 months with a downpayment of $3500.00. They say offer is good through July 5th.
    Is this a good deal? Please let me know. I've never leased a car before and the last car I bought was in 1992.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    6/26 NY Times, Paragon Acura, NYC

2005 RL, $40,888. "Pre-owned with less than 80 miles"

Is this some kind of customer satisfaction return? Two listed, one with 33 miles, one with 41. Still my last new car had this many miles at delivery (but had never been titled). For $9K off MSRP (and $3K off best prices here), might be interesting. Thoughts?
    1) Do you want to lease a vehicle for 48 months?

2) This is the standard advertised deal... you should be able to negotiate a better deal than this..

3) You shouldn't put that much money upfront on a lease.. You should aim to get out the door for under $1500. Of course, that will make your payment higher..

4) That deal doesn't include sales tax, licensing, etc.. all those charges will add to the cost.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• terbearterbear Member Posts: 2
    Please if someone could help. I have never leased before and I am not sure what to do.The dealership has offered the RL for 44,340 whether we buy or lease. Here is the deal: I have a 2004 TL for trade-in which they are offering 26,500. If we lease, they will apply 12,500 to the 48 month lease and cut us a check for 14,000.The payoff will be around 23,868 atthe end of the 4 years. Payments will be around 368 (which includes 6.5 sales tax). If we buy, we write them a check for 19,000 and the trade-in. The 19,000 will include any fees, sales tax etc. Please help. We were going to close this deal today!