Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The lease deals aren't that great, plus you should never put that much money down on a lease...

I vote for writing the check for $19K and buying the car... Especially, if you have the financial ability to do that...

You've never leased before, and you aren't sure about it.... No reason to start leasing now...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wgmacwgmac Member Posts: 5
    Hey, go for it! $40,888 sounds like a very good deal. I just bought a new one with 13 miles on it and payed $2,500 more. I think that would pay for a car wash! Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide.
  • wgmacwgmac Member Posts: 5
    I would buy. That way they only have one shot at skinning you. If you lease they have additional opportunities in the future. There are so many ways for them get you with a lease -- at the end of the contract, or if you want to trade before the lease is up.
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    I went to Paragon Acura dealer yesterday to check it out. It is a bait-and-switch. Don't fall for it. This dealership is no good. I am thinking getting mine from Valley Stream Acura. They are offering $45,xxx.
  • ravipennravipenn Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to you all for your valuable comments.
    I finally leased one today & I guess its a very good rate ;-)

36m/15k
    $610.79
    $1500+ down (incl all + first month payment)
    The wonderful Sales Mgr got me some goodies for free --> floor mats, wheel locks & a great smile!

Happy 4th of July!
  • bobby423bobby423 Member Posts: 8
    What is the significance of a vin that is > than 2000? See message below which is why I'm wondering. R. Koch

#346 of 366 RL purchase details by rlsteve Jun 23, 2005 (4:56 pm)
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum. The information saved me a ton of money by letting me know what "real" deals were being done.

I bought my new Opulent Blue Pearl RL last night from Tustin Acura in SoCal for $43,000, + $601 for the wood steering wheel and +151 for wheel locks & trunk tray. I was able to get a VIN number > 20000 with only 4 miles on it, it had just arrived this week!

BTW, I had three dealers at this price (Tustin Acura, Cerritos Acura, and Power Acura of South Bay). Gosh, it's good to live in an area with so many competing dealers!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    RLs are not moving, dealers are on the hook, an 05 RL is a bargain in the SF bay area. If you wait until 06 the deals will be gone. Tested an RL, and it is a very quick, nice car. :)
  • ysbakysbak Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in buying a new RL in the Atlanta area. There are basically 4 major Acura dealers that I could work with. Is anyone negotiating currently or recently bought a new RL. At what price are you guys hearing?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
  • t94920t94920 Member Posts: 3
    frisconick,

I am in the bay area and unable to find anything below invoice. By any chance, were you be able to find below invoice? If so, how much?

Thanks for your help.

Robin
  • radar88radar88 Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a '05 RL for 36 months withr 25K miles/year for $700 per month including NJ sales tax with $1,450 down (bank fee, first month, etc.). At 18K, would have been $635.
  • rlsteverlsteve Member Posts: 3
    There were 3-4 factory updates that needed to be applied to RLs with lower VIN numbers ( < 8000 or so). I had one dealer trying to sell me VIN #123 and another dealer with a VIN #20060, so I figured it was safer to choose a car manufactured later since any updates, fixes, etc, would have been applied at the factory. Perhaps a little superstititious, but....
  • rlsteverlsteve Member Posts: 3
    In the Southern California area, I was able to get 4 dealers at the $43,000 price. Invoice is $44,284 (incl/ destination), but there is a $1473 manuf-to-dealer holdback currently in effect, for a true dealer price of $42,811. At $43K, that's a profit of only $189. I had several dealerships that grudgingly agreed to match that price, saying it was a "push" for them, just moving the inventory off the lot basically breaking even. I had heard that there might have been an additional $2500 manuf-to-dealer rebate through July 5th, but I am starting to doubt that was accurate given that no dealer was willing to go below $43000. I did call a dealership in Bakersfield (because they had a color combo I was interested in), and they were not willing to go below $45K since they were the only dealer within 100+ miles of their area.

Call/email the internet departments of a few dealers in your area, say you have a $43000 quote from another dealer, will they match it, you want to buy this weekend. FYI, the dealers in my area at $43000 were Tustin Acura, Power Acura of South Bay, Cerritos Acura, Weir Canyon Acura.
    Acura of Marin is where I went at the end of the month, and they were willing to deal. Get CR's car buying kit and find exactly what they paid for the car wholesale, hold back invoice etc. Then you can bargain. Also make sure you pretend you have other cars in mind.
  • melenciomelencio Member Posts: 2
    RLSteve, Did you end up getting the car? What did you do, lease or purchase?
  • pds1pds1 Member Posts: 24
    I'm in North Jersey - Essex County - shopping for an RL lease with a bit more mileage. Where did you get that deal? Thanks. Mickey
  • radar88radar88 Member Posts: 2
    Mickey, I got it from Acura of Clinton with a bit of work. I negotiated with other dealers in the area, but this was the best I could do with the high miles. The staff was great. Bill Vince came close in the end, but it was a lot of work and I had even bought an MDX from them.
    How is Bill doing anyway? :P
  • pheynenpheynen Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy an 05 RL in the Carolinas, but would travel to Atlanta if needed. What is the going "deal" right now? ysbak posted on July 7th that was looking for RL in Atlanta-hope you are still reading so you can share your experiences!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • pds1pds1 Member Posts: 24
    I've decided to buy the RL for a lot of reasons. Primarily due to the fact that, dollar for dollar, it may be the best bargain in cars today.

I'm trying to wait until the 2006 models arrive and then negotiate hard for a leftover 2005.

Does anyone know when the 2006 model will hit the showroom?

Thanks
  • tiger93tiger93 Member Posts: 57
    We should start seeing 06 models in September. Good plan and good luck!
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Just stopped in at my dealer, they've offered to buy my 2004 TL (13K miles, in great condition) for $25,500, and lease me a 2005 RL (48 months, 12K miles per year) for $585/month including tax. Because I seem to trade my cars every three or four years, and generally don't drive more than 10-12K per year, I think it's a better idea to lease than to continue to buy and take a bath every couple of years on the trade.

Does this seem like a decent deal to you? I'm very interested in the RL, although I have loved the TL thus far as well.
    shs111....you should run this scenario by Car_man HOST in the "Lease Questions - Ask Here" Forum. Give him the following info:

Year/Make/Model
    MSRP
    Your negotiated Purchase Price
    Monthly payment dealer has quoted you
    Lease term
    Miles per year
    Down Payment

Car_man will verify that the info above the dealer has given you jive with what American Honda Finance is currently offering.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I have a reliable source who works as a purchaser for Honda Norh America; she is under the impression the '06 RL should be in showrooms in early Oct (first week).
    thanks for the comments and advice. Closed the deal today, but purchased rather than leased the 2005 RL. I guess at the end of the day I'm just not a lease kind of guy. Very excited about the new RL, will take delivery on Tuesday.
    Congrats on your new ride shs111.....do you mind posting what your final selling price was? Also, what area of the US are you in?
    $44,585 was the final selling price, plus tax and doc prep. I bought it at Boston Acura, where I'd bought my previous 2004 TL. Great team there.
  • gmaygmay Member Posts: 5
    We are likely going to buy an RL in the next few months. I am trying to decide if we should wait for the 2006 version. Does anyone know what features the 2006 will have over the 2005?

Also, can anyone give suggestions for dealerships with good prices in Northern New Jersey?

Thanks!
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    We are likely going to buy an RL in the next few months. I am trying to decide if we should wait for the 2006 version. Does anyone know what features the 2006 will have over the 2005?

I do not think there is any authoritative list of '06 changes. Most are speculating minor tweaks and '05 issue corrections. I do have a very reliable source that says expect the '06 to be in dealer showrooms the first week in October.
  • canacana Member Posts: 1
    I have waited to the end of the month to purchase my new RL but the best price I have been able to get in the Chicago area is $44,500. Does anyone know of a dealer who can do better? Thanks.
  • mebanedogmebanedog Member Posts: 1
    Just played the phone/email game with three large dealers in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. Able to ratchet price down simply by going back and forth. Final deal:

2005 Black/black RL with 15 miles ODO (no trade)
    36 mo lease, 18K mi/yr
    payment 569 + tax (620 total)
    due at signing: 1673 (includes 1st payment)

Wound up purchasing at Ardmore Acura - nicest buying experience I've ever had. No 'mistakes', totally satisfying experience. In and out.

Feel like I could have driven price even lower if I had the time - was in a rush.

Good luck out there!
  • steve2914steve2914 Member Posts: 1
    What dealers did you get prices from?
  • apex99apex99 Member Posts: 3
    I'm calling around to try and get the best deal on an '05 RL lease. I'm trying to get as close to $600 as possible (or lower :-)). Perhaps we can share notes and see if we can leverage a better deal if there's more than one of us going in on these??
  • kmbaerkmbaer Member Posts: 20
    I was at my in-law's last weekend (they just bought an '05 TL back in March) and I was reading the latest issue of Acura magazine that features the TL factory in it. There also was an article about the '06 RL in there that mentioned that Acura will be introducing a Technology Package for '06 that will include laser guided cruise control. No mention of pricing though. Guess we'll have to wait for the September/October intro for that.

I'm planning on going to take a test drive this weekend, but not really ready to buy at this time.
  • flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    I just happen to be searching for a RL in the DC area and discovered that Pohanka Acura Chantilly, VA (http://www.pohankaacura.com/en_US/) are offering a lease deal for $391.00. Don't know the details. Check it out and let the rest of us know. Good luck. :)
  • vas2vas2 Member Posts: 5
    check out the payment due on signing and you will know why it is $391 per month
  • vas2vas2 Member Posts: 5
    got a quote in north bay, CA for $42782 + tax
  • flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    That quote is GREAT! What's the name of the dealership? I'm ready to buy.
  • vistavista Member Posts: 9
    The Car: 2005 Lakeshore Silver Metallic,/Taupe
    Mileage: 14
    VIN over 14k
    Wheel locks
    Coming Off: 1993 Lexus SC300 (156k miles)
    Considered: Lexus GS300AWD, Audi A6 3.2Q, and Infiniti M35X
    Dealer: Rosenthal Acura (cross-shopped: Tischer and Chevy Chase)
    Deal: 36 month / 15k miles ($.15/mile over)
    MSRP: 49670
    Price: 41684 ($100 under invoice after taking all $2500 July mfr. to dealer cash)
    Acq fee: 595
    "Doc Fee:" 95
    Gov't Fees (in MD): 236
    Taxes (5%): 2088.95
    All fees and taxes rolled into leasehold. No cap cost reductions.
    Money Factor: .00245 (.00235 if pay security deposit)
    Residual %: 57
    Lease Payment: $634.22
    First Payment: $634.22

Since there were 7 Lakeshore/Taupes on the lot at Rosenthal, I imagine excellent deals can be made in the next 4-6 weeks prior to introduction of 2006 model. Good luck, and thanks to other posters!
  • jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    Based on the post above, there was a July manufacturer cash incentive of approx $2500. Does anybody know if there is an August incentive and what amount? Any dealers out west dealing? Thanks!
  • jsakabuckjsakabuck Member Posts: 11
    I've been reading this forum for the past month and I finally decided to take the plunge into a new RL. After I read yesterday's posts about the 2006 model changes I decided I'm not interested in the new technology package so I'm looking for a good deal on an '05. I've sent out internet requests to various dealers in Eastern PA, Northern NJ, and DC metro area (where I travel to on business regularly). Lowest number is coming from Pohanka in DC of $44,900. I know I've seen lower numbers posted here. I don't mind driving a few hours from home (northeastern PA) to pick up the best deal. Any suggestions or thoughts on deals for less than Pohanka's offer? My next step is to use Pohanka's number to get some inter-dealership bidding going to see if a truly lower price is available out there.

TIA
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    As posted earlier, both Marin & Sonoma county Acura dealers are offering leases in the $495 to $559 range. Total off the lot is gonna run between $4,500 to $5,000. Given their inventory, me thinks you might be able to improve these figures a little.
  • taitandotaitando Member Posts: 17
    Just wanted to share this with everyone here.

Vehicle: 2005 RL
    Nighthawk Black/Parchment Interior
    Dealer demo w/ 4880 miles
    Rear Spoiler
    Wood Shift Knob
    All Season Mats
    Chrome Wheels

MSRP $49,470
    Purchase $41500
    Acquisition/Bank fee $595
    City Tax $3.26
    Title/License $332.00
    CA Tire Tax $8.75
    Doc Fee $45.00
    1st Month $608.89
    No Security deposit

Total Drive Off $997.90
    Monthly Payments $608.89 (includes tax)

I was initially concerned since the car had almost 5k miles on it. But after factoring all the options with this car (i.e. chrome wheels), I thought, oh what the heck?!? Especially since this is a lease and not a purchase. Other than that, I've asked for a thorough inspection and updates for the latest technical service bulletins. Money factor came to .00245 with no security deposit. I think it would have been .00235 if I paid one. Residual is $27,823.5 (56%). I haven't signed anything yet, what do you guys think?
    Great site for comps: http://leaseguide.com/calc.htm

So, you are rolling just the Acq/Bank fee into the lease? So your cap cost is technically $41,500 + $595 ($42,095)? What tax rate are you using?

I dont mind a few miles on a vehicle, provided its checked out and is in great shape. It probably allowed for the original owner/dealer to take care of some of the misc. issues already and the car is probably good to go at this point.

Personally, I've just started to search for my vehicle. I'm comparing BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Acura and Lexus models---trying to wait until October but the itch seems to be getting the best of me. I'm leaning for the deal on the RL since it has some great features and is sorta "under the radar." It's a little much when you pull up to a client site in a Mercedes...so pulling up in an Acura is less in the face, but still right there in quality and features etc...

In any case, I am seeking to lease an RL out the door at $600 or less tax included---with no more than $1500 out of pocket to get going (which would include the first payment and some misc. items). Your deal seems fine to me, do you think my deal is realistic? If so, then you have to weigh that against what you are offered and make a decision between them.

Either way, $600 or so, for a flagship vehicle with all the bells and whistles is good by my estimatation, provided that little money out of pocket up front, enough miles are included and the little intangible items are covered.

Let me know your thoughts on my question/comments above...I'll check the posts. Everyone else please chime in with insight.
    Jeremy
    Update from PA. I have the DC dealership down to $44,000. Dealer closer to home has bottomed out at $44,500. Now, is it worth a 4 hour drive to DC to save the $500? Trying to factor into the decision the higher per hour service cost the local dealership charges if you didn't buy the car from them. I'm getting close here and I can smell the new car aroma now. Thanks again for your trusted input.
    One of the lower deals I was quoted during my search was from Ryan's Open Road Acura in East Brunswick, NJ. ($44,750) Their internet rep was very courteous and prompt in responding to my requests. Hope this helps.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    The best offer out my way on leasing a new RL seems to be something like 599.00 per month, 2,600 down, 12,000 miles per year, closed end lease. All costs like licensing, etc. included. Doesn't sound too bad, do ya think? But I must ad that this is just talk and is not based on an actual deal or anything that's firm. Does anyone think waiting 'till October will make much of a difference and how much difference?
    As per the purchasing a vehicle from a different city, I recently did that for my Lexus GX470 and service locally is no different from if I bought it there. I think the dealerships dont even communicate between the service and sales departments; and that they are happy to be making the $$ from the services. Just my opinion and experience on that, but it could be different in other cities.

I wonder if that $599 includes tax? From the previous posts that Acura had a $2500 incentive through July I am guessing that the dealers were just pocketing that and selling the vehicle at the lowest price that I've seen around $44,500.

I really just want to lease, but know that October and the new models are around the corner so am keeping my fingers crossed that either Acura will offer another incentive, with spice up their current incentive or that the dealers will want to move their cars in late August September. A lot of people say that there will be less selection the closer you get to the new model...I agree to a point, but that seems to also be the best deals and I've had really good luck in finding my exact model then too.

Does anybody know exactly when the 2006 RL's are supposed to arrive? That would be great information to know.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    I am amazed at how low the leases some people are reporting for 2005 RL. Especially the large number of miles included. Is it dealer or manufacturer that foots the bill for mileage?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It looks dirt cheap to me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator