Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gearheadedgearheaded Member Posts: 19
    I think you're confusing Nav and base models. The base can be had for this figure or maybe $500 to $1,000 less but haven't seen these numbers on the Nav model.
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    Yes, RL with Tech can be bought for around $42K. The RL base can be had for under $4oK.
  • vikinghwhvikinghwh Member Posts: 2
    Am in the market for an 07 RL with the Pro-Pack and not the Tech Package. I am aware of the $3500 rebate. What should be my opening offer??? I reside in the Tampa,Sarasota,Fort Myers area. Any info about dealers in this area would be helpful.
    Just took delivery of my base 2007 on Tuesday and paid $38,450 (including freight but no options)+TTL in MD. I would think you should be able to come in near this figure and add propack cost. Best way to start is using Edmunds buying service. That way they know you've done your homework and are bidding against multiple offers that you will receive. It's a great car and screaming deal at this price. Good Luck!
  • egraboregrabor Member Posts: 6
    e-mail me at bob-elaine@comcast.net for info on new RL with no Nav, but has other options. (1,000 miles) Beautiful
  • veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    I was told that the $3500 rebate was only applicable to certain regions. Is this true?
    Sounds like B.S. Go to Edmunds incentives and put in your zip. I'm 99.9% sure they're national. If a dealer is telling you this and it's not true don't walk, run.
  • veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    Thx. That's what I thought. The incentive that comes up doesn't stipulate that it's region-specific.
  • cowboyatthiswacowboyatthiswa Member Posts: 20
    Got offered a '06 RL with tech/CMBS/pax and pro pack for $39K....is this a good deal??? any advice/help would be appreciated....
  • carlikecarlike Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased, or in the process of purchasing this vehicle in the NYC metro-area? I must look like Bill Gates because I'm only getting high quotes. Or perhaps this is just a regional hotspot for prices? I'm not quite ready to move out of state yet :<). Thanks.
  • johnston4johnston4 Member Posts: 1
    When I went to a dealership towards the end of 2006, they had 4 2006 RLs which all had a discount of $9000!, yes, that's 9 thousand dollars! My question is, is this a common clearance price? They told me they need to make room for the 07s and these $50K 06 RLs need to go and nothing is wrong with them. Would anyone with experience tell me if I should also wait til the end of 07 to try to find this price again, or was I just lucky to find those price that time. Thanks! By the way, this dealership is in Tustin, CA.
  • tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Member Posts: 10
    In NJ $44,900 for 07 w/Tech Pkg.
  • valueboyvalueboy Member Posts: 7
    As a valuebuyer and Edmunds user, I had to decide between an Infiniti M and the RL when both were new models in 2006. The Canadian exchange was down (i.e., a strong Canadian dollar), yet Honda Canada priced the 'come-out' on RLs at about $10,000 more than the US exchange warranted, compared to US pricing. Something smelled bad. So I bought the 2006M although I really liked the RL as a vehicle. NEWSFLASH - LAST WEEK HONDA CANADA ANNOUNCES A $6.5K PRICE CUT TO THE NEW RLs!. Boy, I'd hate to be someone who bought a 2005 or 2006 RL in Canada - isn't this just another way for Honda to announce: "Remember when we tried to cover the price gouge with some feeble BS about wanting to keep the sales numbers 'exclusive' in Canada? Well, what we really meant was: "Let's see how many people will pay CAD$72K for a US$48K car, so that our profit number is constant, only the buyer gets ripped off, then let everyone else in on the joke". Bad business, bad marketing, just plain bad. I can't imagine anyone who bought the vehicle in the first 2-3 years would ever buy another Honda product again. A shame. The RL is no Infiniti M (the best car on the road in its class), but it didn't deserve to be treated that way by someone who should be fired at Honda Canada.
  • dasachsdasachs Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 RL w/tech pkge in Boston area for $ 40,736 exclusive of taxes, documentation and registration fees. Price was negotiated after mentioning dealer incentives posted here on Edmunds.com plus discounts offered by other dealers contacted over internet (via Edmunds links). Lessons learned: know the available incentives/rebates, other buyers' experience, other vendors' internet offers, and buy at the end of the month, especially after a period of bad weather when customers don't show up at the dealership. April might also be a good month because buyers have just paid their taxes.
  • rpram1rpram1 Member Posts: 18
    Lets just say that I am not in a position to buy the RL - Tech by April 30 (dealer incentive goes away). What does everyone think is going to happen in the next 30-60-90 days to pricing?
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I am considering the RL, but I'm going to wait a few months. I am not concerned about losing any current rebates and I actually expect the rebates and incentives to increase as we move in to the summer months.

The incentives are there because, in this case, RL sales have not done well at all. Acura needs to continue to move the RL's from inventory, especially given the 2008 model year is not too far way.

A gamble to wait? Perhaps! However, I just don't see the current inventory of RL's being sold if the incentives don't continue or even increase after April 30.

Regards: Dan
  • acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    That is a screaming deal if you are talking about a new car, non-demo. The 2006 has OnStar but no backup camera; the 2007 has the backup camera but no OnStar. Otherwise the 2006 and 2007 Tech (CMBS/PAX) are the exact same car. No significant changes are planned for 2008 according to a source at another reliable website.

Realize that you will take a hit on paper for an extra year's depreciation, yet when you sell it will be a lower-mileage car compared with other 2006s since it has sat for some months on the dealer's lot.

The dead cost on that vehicle (invoice + destination + Propack - incentive - holdback) is somewhere around $42,500 + TTL so the dealer is taking a $3500 loss to move it. You are getting around a $15,000 discount from MSRP. Unbelievable, that's $3500 less than I paid in December 2006 for the same exact vehicle. Grab it. This car is GREAT!!
  • acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    You're right that RL sales have been slow--IMHO almost entirely due to the absence of any discernible marketing strategy at Acura. The RL is magnificent in every way--perhaps lacking slightly in driving dynamics compared with BMW--but otherwise demonstrably superior to the competition and at a much lower cost. People just don't think of it as being in the same league as Lexus or Mercedes. (Car buyers don't recognize that a Lexus is simply a gilded Toyota and that Mercedes has become a nice-looking but poorly built Chrysler. Acura, OTOH, is a particularly well-engineered, stylish and well-priced species of Honda.)

You should know that Acura has slowed production of RLs for the US in order to balance supply with demand, so I wouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger. The incentive probably won't go away, but the selection might. Many of the deals being posted here are outstanding.

P.S. I'm obviously a big fan, now on my second Acura, but I don't work in the auto industry. ;)
  • yobiyobi Member Posts: 4
    Looks like the $3500 Market Support dollars are back through July 2nd. I am offered a 2006 with NAV, ground effects, I-pod, and rear spoiler for $43,495. Car was driven by the dealership's GM and has 4500 miles on it. I have seen an 06 with only 2273 miles on it listed for $38,791 and think almost 5K for the accessories a little steep.

I also have an offer for an 07 RL with Tech package for $44,386, no extras or negotiation on the market support dollars (yet), so the 07 is looking better all the time.

Am I right in thinking the 06 is a bit high given it will be 2 years old in a couple of months, and the 07 needs to come down a bit due to the market support dollars?

Yobi
    What State are you in?

The 07 RL TECH can be had for about $42K in most areas. Poke around in this thread and you'll see what people are paying.

The '06 with all the extras sounds too high too.
    I'm in Indianapolis.

Now have 2 quotes on 2007 with Tech. Both are without the $1400 in accessories I want. One is $44,386 and the other is $43,465 locally.

If my research is correct, I am looking at about $44,900 invoice. Add the accessories and subtract the $3500 Market Support dollars and I should get in around $41,300 to $41,900. I agree on the $42K from the other threads on this forum.
  • konskons Member Posts: 2
    I am in the Boston Area as well. Which dealership did you purchase this from?
    Thanks
    Yes, $41.3K to $42K would be e great price.
    You were right. Found the 2007 w/Tech for $42,100. Got the wood wheel and knob, rear spoiler, trunk mat, all weather mats, and the side emblems rolled into it for a total of $43,500. They did very well by me on the trade (2003 Lexus ES in mint condition) so I pulled the trigger.
  • egraboregrabor Member Posts: 6
    We have a new 07 RL with just1400 miles on it. We have the wood steering wheel and knob, wheel flaps, wind visors on doors, spoiler on trunk and wind protective on moonroof, full matsand more. We made a life changing decision, and we are going full time RVing in a Motorhome. What do you think I should get for it? We are in Spokane, and it is gorgeous of course. It is the Blue Gray Pearl color. We chose without nav because we wanted the other options. can e-mail me at bob-elaine@comcast.net
    Thank you in advance
    Congrats!

You should go over to www.acurazine.com and post with other RL owners.
    HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM............

The thing is that they have the $3500 marketing incentive going on right now. $41.7k is the invoice price including the destination fees. This means that brand new your car is selling for $38.2K to $39K in many markets due to the marketing incentive. Maybe you can get $35K to $36K for it.
    Thanks. Already posted the info on Acurazine, which is a great forum and source of information on the RL too.
  • amkleeramkleer Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone guide me as to what a good/reasonable deal would be (monthly) for leasing an Acura RL w/Tech package (36 or 39 months, $2K out of pocket)? Thanks!
  • dickbraddockdickbraddock Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if there are new incentives to Dealers replacing the $3500 for the RL?
  • kenji4861kenji4861 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone know how much 07 RLs are going for?
  • amkleeramkleer Member Posts: 2
    Deals can be had for around $42K with Tech package
  • hockeytapehockeytape Member Posts: 3
    Valueboy,

In reference to your post #941:

1. "....Honda Canada priced the 'come-out' on RLs at about $10,000 more than the US exchange warranted, compared to US pricing. Something smelled bad. So I bought the [Infiniti] 2006 M although I really liked the RL as a vehicle."

It is a well known fact in Canada that pretty much all foreign car manufacturers price their Canadian cars thousands of dollars more than the US exchange rate warrants. This is well documented in the recent spate of newspaper and magazine articles. Acura is no different. As an exercise, I created a spreadsheet comparing this price delta for ten different car manufacturers. Turns out Nissan and Infiniti have one of the biggest price inflations in Canada vs the equivalent USD price. For example, a fully-loaded Infiniti M45 is over $15k more in Canada than in the U.S. after adjusting for exchange rate.

2. "....LAST WEEK HONDA CANADA ANNOUNCES A $6.5K PRICE CUT TO THE NEW RLs!"

In 2007, Acura Canada rolled out a base model w/o CMBS, active cruise control and other electronic features for $6.5k less, realizing that some customers did not want those features. However, equally optioned, the 2007 RL costs the same as the 2006 RL.

I have no affiliation with honda or acura, and I do not even own an RL. However, I rarely come across a post as misinformed as yours, and I felt I should correct your errors as a public service to the forum.
  • hondav6hondav6 Member Posts: 8
    I am trying to buy '02 Acura RL with 50,000 miles on it. What is the best price I can offer for this? is this a good car to buy?
  • mboyzmboyz Member Posts: 1
    Dealer offered one for $46,000 plus tax and lic.

I was shopping for one with tech package but they had only CMBS/PAX one.

Is this a good price? What's the 08 Tech price?

thanks
    I priced the 2007 RL w/Tech package in June and could have had it for $42300. I think based on sticker it would approximately $3500 more for the Pax model. Seems ok. I ended up buying the base model for $39000, I really enjoy it. Should have bought my options rubber winter mats and trunk tray on ebay (can save $$$).
  • soxfan21soxfan21 Member Posts: 1
    I have read the previous posts about 2007 RLs with Tech and it seems as though the selling prices are around $42k. Any idea what a good deal on an '08 RL with Tech should be?
  • jbm28145jbm28145 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 RL with the tech package at the end of August for $43,100, no trade-in.
  • newacurabuynewacurabuy Member Posts: 4
    I've got a quote for $750 over factory invoice for 2008 with tech package. I can't seem to find any incentives right now. Is this price too high?
  • cowboyatthiswacowboyatthiswa Member Posts: 20
    way too high....wait little longer and watch the rebates come roaring back....
    I agree with that answer. I tracked prices for the past two years and ultimately Acura provided the dealer $3500 dollar relief most of which can go the bottom line.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I also agree. This is a wonderful car, but even at current street prices, the RL lacks several inches of wheelbase, and two badly-needed cylinders. I test-drove one recently, thinking I could get a great deal on a 'sleeper' sedan, but no such luck. Dealers--in my area, at least-- think they're gold. I'm not interested in leasing. And buying--even at invoice price--the RL is too small and too slow. In my opinion, a (new) base RL should be a $36-37K car in the current market. Honda may soon be forced to offer a V-8, whether they like it or not.
  • vnh84vnh84 Member Posts: 10
    I will also agree that the RL is a very nice car. I recently test drove a '08 RL rather aggressively on local and country roads and highways. Two things that stood out: wind noise (something I expect from Honda/Acura) and the lack of power. It is not a slow car, but not exactly quick either given the size, which is smaller compared to its competitors.

The one thing that impresses me the most was the fit and finish. The fact that it is made in Japan is an important selling point. Unfortunately, the dealer wants a price that I thought was unreasonable. My sale person said that Acura is cutting production, so they only receive about 1-2 cars a month. At the time when I was there, they had 2 cars on the lot.
  • jimboforlifejimboforlife Member Posts: 1
    I'm simply waiting for the big discount to comeback. Considering how badly the RL is doing (it's really a very well rounded car). It's got solid interior room, not great and has very few flaws. Sure it's not an amazing car but considering that dealers will easily give invoice right now for this car which is somewhere around say 44900 if I'm not mistaken, I don't think offering say 40900 in a couple months is unreasonable. In fact I think they might up the discount as well to a 4000-5000 discount.

An RL at 40 flat with an extended warranty at cost sounds like a good price to me. Basically 10-11k for a much better looking car than the new Accord, gold glove treatment in the service department, better handling, a quieter car, interior quality, and seats plus a myriad of other features sounds good to me.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    An 08 RL w/ tech package at 40k-41k would be a steal!! But that won't happen for a while ... not until Sep or Oct of 08. So wait if you can, and hope Acura will give hefty discounts then.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Only 365 RLs were sold last month :surprise: . Dealers must have this thing sitting on their lots forever. If i was in the market for one, i would be aiming to pay in the high 30s!
  • jaybee85jaybee85 Member Posts: 25
    According to Edmunds, there is now $2000 cash available from Acura to dealers on the 2008 RL - effective 11/1 through year-end. Wonder if that amount will rise, considering the very slow sales, the possible total upgrade for 2009, and competition from the new 2008 Accord.
  • ribossi1ribossi1 Member Posts: 8
    Just wanted to clear up your locking concerns on the RL, this is for all Acura's except the TSX.

You have a Security Relock Timer on the car, that if you unlock the doors using a remote transmitter but do not open a door, the vehicle will automatically relock in either 30, 60, or 90 seconds (your choice when you choose it). If you actually open the door, it will remain unlocked...this is a safety feature so you can't lock your keys in the car.

My salesman has his own website, www.acurasearch.com he explains a lot on there.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Wow....we are in the market for a new luxury sedan. Drove 535i, GS350, E350, CTS...but I skipped the RL. Sounds like it we should check them out. I saw a lease special going on now also...see if I can lease this puppy with zero down <$500.

If we like it, who cares if they are coming out with a new one.

Lets see if I get this correct.

The RL is not in high demand...Acura is offering $4000 cash to dealer incentive to sell...RL with tech pkg lists for $50615, invoice at $45520. If I get the dealer to price at invoice - $4000 for the cash, this comes to $41520. Is this not reasonable? (well, reasonable to buyers, not the dealer).

Using their current 53% residual for 3 yr, 10k miles and MF of 0.00129. Lease is $481+tax. So $515 for me.

Seems too good to be true.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    That deal is doable with an 07 (if here are 07s left), but probably not with an 08. Since there is no significant difference btn 07 and 08, get the deal if it is available.