Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7

Comments

• sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    It is clear from the early Audi publicity that adaptive cruise control would be available on the Q7.
    Now it seems they have backtracked.
    Can any dealer (not a speculator) state categorically the reason for this omission, and when and if it will be available.
    I notice on the U. K. Audi site, that it is already available.
    It would be a bummer to spend $65k on a car in July, only to find that the option is added in September.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The Cayenne is easily 10-12 grand more than the Q7 when you build them the same way option wise. You can build a 75-80k V8 Cayenne very quickly. Any German car/suv can get pricey with options, but Porsche takes things to a new level in that department.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    This is probably a silly question- but are the Touareg, Cayenne and Q7 all the same basic chassis, with different sheet metal on top?

The Q7's wheelbase however is about 6" longer, but the review today claimed that it weighs 5300 lbs, which is the same as the T-reg. so perhaps they're not the same?

Also- it looks like the Q7 doesn't get its siblings 4WD capability, but rather just the on-road Quattro style AWD.

So (just for fun)- the T-regg has 112" wheelbase and is $40K- so it's $357 per inch. The Q7 at 118" and $50K is $423 per inch. :)
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    We (dealers) are being told that the Q7 shares roughly 5-10% with either car. I think it will have a totally different feel. It lacks the heavy duty offroad (therefore weight saving)components from the Pepper and Egg samdwich, but adds more space and a better interior. I'm really excited. I'm headed for the training in April, and can't wait. If anyone has any questions, shoot me an email.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Better yet, if anyone has any questions let's post and answer them here - that way the information benefits all of our community now and in the future.
    At your training, check on the following:
    What happened to the adaptive cruise control.
    It is clearly available in Europe, and even Audi showed it on their US web site, but it has now disappeared from the options list.
    This was certainly one of the most progressive features.
    Without it the car seems very ordinary.
    And when will Audi get around the voice input on the nav. as with Infiniti and Acura?
    I think that less than 5% of Audi customers will pay for the adaptive cruise even if it is offered on the Q7. It's available on the current A6, but it's not that popular of an option and very few A6's have been ordered with it. The A8 has it more often, but it's also in that 80k price range.

The side assist and back up cameras are a far more usefull options to have on the Q7. I personally think that adaptive cruise is a waste of money, and there are far better options you can spend 2000-2500 on.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    So (just for fun)- the T-regg has 112" wheelbase and is $40K- so it's $357 per inch. The Q7 at 118" and $50K is $423 per inch.

That's not really a valid comparison, because you're comparing a V6 Toureg to a V8 Q7.

The Q7 3.6 will be coming out this summer, so wait until that comes out to compare cost-per-inch!

;)
    The new TT is going to be unveiled to the world in early April, and it is expected to have the next generation of MMI- without the mouse. The new system will be touch-screen, so I'm going to guess that it will also be voice-activated.

If it is, expect all new and/or refreshed Audis in the future to have voice-recognition.
  • dan339gdan339g Member Posts: 56
    I have an 2006 A6 with the adaptive cruise control, and I am pleased with the functionality and find it very useful since most of my mileage is highway driving. The controls can be set to 3 different "intervals" of distance from the vehicle in front, and the system will apply the brakes if necessary to maintain that interval should the traffic slow and then restore to the original set speed when traffic allows. I find the middle setting to the most effective, since the "farthest" setting allows a gap large enough for other vehicles to cut in, which results in the system rapidly applying the brakes to restore the distance interval. The first time this happens, it's a little disconcerting, but otherwise the system operates seamlessly. It will not, however, brake the car to a full stop as the new Mercedes does. The system shuts itself down if the speed falls below a preset limit (I think 20 mph). There is also graphic depiction of the rear view of the car in the gauge cluster display, and the brake lights on the graphic image of the car light up when the system applies the brakes. Pretty cool! I recently took a trip from Boston to New York City, and was able to use the cruise control for just about the entire trip. I think I finally had to shut it off when approaching the GW Bridge. I would agree it is an expensive option for drivers that don't typically need or use cruise control, but for frequent highway drivers it is great and does contribute to improved fuel economy.
    I believe that the updated Adaptive Cruise Control available on the Q7 in Europe does indeed work down to ZERO MPH, so it can be used in stop and go traffic, and avoid a slower speed rear-ender...
    BUT..... still no word on when it will be added for U.S. spec. cars.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Adaptive cruise control is one of those things that once you've had it, you won't get another car without it. I wouldn't buy a Q7 without it.
  • mgraviemgravie Member Posts: 1
    Adaptive Cruise Control is an OVER PRICED LAZY feature for the person who is NOT a driving enthusiast. It's for that guy who wants have the latest gadget whether it's used or not like Navigation.(although Nav is definitely cool and better priced) And for the guy who said the X5 is the top seller in the US. The RX350 outsells it by tens of thousands! Lexus outsells every luxury make out there and boy is it boring!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Adaptive Cruise Control is an OVER PRICED LAZY feature for the person who is NOT a driving enthusiast.

While I agree that the cruise is a lazy man’s feature…the highways are hardly an enthusiast’s ideal situation. One of the reason’s I hardly use cruise control is the traffic; you always come upon someone slower so you then need to turn it off…then on again. The Adaptive Cruise Control would seem ideal in this lazy sort of cruising situation

Plus…even though the Q7 IS an Audi, I usually don’t consider a 7 passenger SUV an enthusiasts machine.

Seems like a neat feature for someone willing to spend the bucks.
    I regret this...

My wife will most likely not be getting the Q7. My son and I test drove the Porsche Cayenne S, Benz E350 4Matic, and Range Rover Sport today. I expected the Cayenne V6 to be ample, but it was simply the most sluggish midsized SUV I have ever driven (what a disgrace of a Porsche!). I was very surprised to see the excellent acceleration and handling of the E-Class, and although I am a Range Rover-shunner, the RR Sport greatly exceeded my expectations. It not only drove better than the Cayenne S (which is too powerful for my wife), but cradled you in creature comforts such as a beverage cooler, double-screen six-disk DVD player, heated and cooled seats, etc.

I would now be very happy to buy a Range Rover Sport, something I thought I'd never say.

I have yet to test the Q7 (it's out at the end of April), but my wife still wants to test it. The main reason we probably won't get it is because she doesn't want three Audis- it's a bit of a headache to walk in and out of the same type of car. She wants something different- think brand-name prestige.

So... E350 4Matic or Range Rover Sport? Since my wife wasn't with us today, we have yet to see. My son is rooting for the Range Rover (just slightly more than the E), because he thinks we still need an SUV, and it's a more "special" car.

However, I will still post in the Q7 room.
    Why hasn't anyone said anything since I posted this? It's been two days.

:confuse:
    I'll chime in.

The RR Sport is a very small SUV when compared to the upcoming Q7. The Q7 is 200 inches long and has 7 passenger seating standard. The RR sport is quite tight on the inside. But it all depends on your needs and what your looking for. I think very few people will cross shop the smaller RR Sport with a Q7. Maybe the larger Range Rover.

And as for the "prestige" factor, buying a Benz ain't what it use to be interms of quality, reliablity, and any sort of prestige. Many people will smurk more than anything at the benzes of the last half-decadae, as they seem to look more like chryslers and cadillacs than anything else.
    And as for the "prestige" factor, buying a Benz ain't what it use to be interms of quality, reliablity, and any sort of prestige.

I too thought that this was true, until I actually drove the E350.

I know they have reliability problems, I know that they've had quality issues. I also know that they have good styling details, wonderful interiors (except for the ML), sporty engines (except for the C230/C240), and great handling. (You can't say a good thing about the prices, though :P)

But I still think I like the Range Rover Sport better. It really isn't that small (especially if you have three people in the house), and my son didn't find the interior cramped. The Q7 will probably be a bit huge next to having the Camry-based RX330. That's one of the main reasons we probably won't get it.

;)
    Why does this always happen???

Now it's been three days since the last post here.

• tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I guess no one has any new info until the Q7 actually arrives...when exactly again? I heard late April and early June
  • hcanterhcanter Member Posts: 9
    I just received my May issue of Motor Trend and it has a First Test of the Q7. The SUV looks good and it says that a DVD entertainment system will be available in the fall.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    I've had e-mail correspondence with an Atlanta dealership and he stated the Q7 is due in the showroom at the end of May. At this time they would accept advance orders. Delivery is expected at the end of August or beginning of September. Hope to test drive car in May/June.
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    Im just asking for advice. Do you guys think that the 07 Audi Q7 is better than the 07 BMW X5? Well, can you please give me some advice. I really like the X5 and all but I just bought an 06 750 Li and I have another 530i so im really leaning towards the Audi Q7
    Yet another road test (Motor Trend) and a Q7 equipped with Adaptive Cruise Control.
    When will Audi come clean on when this important option will really be available.
    It would be a bummer to order now, and find out a few months later that one of the most significant options becomes available afterwards.
    We're having the same dilemma, but with three Audis, not three BMWs.

I say get the Q7- it's a fantastic SUV, and it's less than a comparably equipped X5 4.4i or ML500, neither of which have a third row of seats.

And I plead you to never, ever, EVER look at the horrific R-Class! That is the ugliest car this side of an Aztek!

You've already read about my problem... We're getting rid of a Lexus, and we already have an S4 Cabriolet and A3 2.0T. My wife doesn't want another Lexus, and we don't want another Audi (they're fantastic- but we don't need three). So we're checking out different companies. Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche are our top three so far.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    Just got a shinny Q7 brochure in the mail today. I used to own a TT so I guess they still remember me.

Like most Audi's it looks very nice, but I'm guessing it's got to be $50k.

anyone care to enlighten me what Audi is asking for this car?
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    forget about it

just ran the numbers here on Edmunds.
    after choosing a few options the base model of this car
    will run me $60k + tax

just how many of these cars does Audi plan on making?
    I'm guessing not many.
    Audi already has 16,000 advance orders for the Q7.

And 60k is for premium 350hp V8 version with all the navigation, technology, back-up cameras, side assist and most options.

A small ranager rover sport is 60 grand, so is the Mercedes R class with a few options. BMW's 4.8 X5 is 65 + grand. A V8 Porches Cayenne is 60-80k. Don't know what you're expecting Audi to sell a high end V8 7 passenger vehicle for. Heck, the old 4.2 Allroad was low 50's with navigation.

The less expensive 3.6 Q7 will be here in the late summer/early fall, and it will be around 40k to start, 50k loaded up.
    I totally agree with you but did you happen to see the 2007 BMW X5, it looks ok but I really want to try other cars so ill get an Audi Q7, my only concern is the size of it, i heard it was going to be 200 inches in length. Im not worrying about the length because im used to driving the bMW 750 li so thats like 204 inches in length but the Q7 will also be taller and wider so do you think size will be an issue?
    Oh and one more thing, do you think I can get a loaded one out the door for about $57000 with everything?
    First of all, the car you priced was NOT the base model. The Q7 4.2 V8 model is the only Q7 that you can preorder right now, and the Q7 3.6 (V6) will come here in fall or summer.

The Q7 3.6, which is the base model, will start at about $40K.

Audi plans on selling 30,000 a year- and half of those have already been bought, so their production will increase.
    Nope...

The Q7 4.2 Premium is the loaded model, and even that has about three options. I'd say it would be about $62K loaded.

Sorry to dissappoint. However, $57K will bring you a lot on that car.
    The X5 4.8is is even worse than what you said.

Saw it online today- $72,000! That is far too much money. It has 30hp more than the Q7 4.2, which is not only bigger but more than $20K less.

Thank god I'm not the only informed one...
    The Q7 is really not that tall or wide... saw it at the Auto Show.

I know for sure that it's not as tall or wide as a Lexus GX.

By the way, why is your name "lexus460l"? Are you planning on selling your (new) 750li for an LS460?

It's because I got my name last December and that was when I really wanted the lexus Lexus LS 460L. But after I knew that it was coming out in September 2006, I changed my mind because I didnt want to wait that long, and plus, I knew that I couldnt get a Ls460L in September because of how many people that are on the waiting list so I got a BMW 750Li instead and Im really liking the ride and the car. But if the Lexus LS460L is also very good, I might even consider getting one of that too while not selling any of my cars.
    You'd get both luxury sedans? Wow! That would be a dramatic move!

Plus, you would be able to compare them side-by-side!

The LS460L will actually be quicker than the 750li, due to its lower weight and higher power output (380>360).

Another (completely off-topic) comment:
    The 2009 (or shock 2008) Audi A4 was predicted by Automobile magazine in the May 2006 issue. They featured gorgeous artist's impressions, revolutionary features the A4 will have, and engines:

3.2 litre V6- 265hp
    2.0T i4- 210hp
    S4- 350hp 4.2 litre FSI V8

However, I believe Audi will be more aggressive than this:

2.0T i4- 220hp (to beat the 325xi)
    3.6 litre V6- 290hp (from the Passat)
    S4- 360+hp FSI 4.2 litre V8
    RS4- 435hp FSI 4.2 litre V8
    Well actually to tell you the truth, I am aiming to sell my 530i because of how many BMWs I drove. I am planning on trading in my 530i for the 2007 G35. I will get a G35 keep my 750Li because its an excellent drive trade in my SUV for the Audi Q7, get a LS 600hL instead of the LS 460L. Ill just stick with 4 cars
    I need four cars because I have a big family.
    My dad will drive the LS600hL when we get it but he drives the 530 right now, my mom drives the SUV right now and shell drive the Q7 my sister currently has a 2007 Camry XLE V6 and shes going to get the 2007 Infiniti G35 and Im driving the BMW 750Li.
    Okay, your post that was directly before that was very confusing!

The 530i is an executive midsize sedan (albeit not my favorite), and the G35 is a small near-luxury sedan. I don't understand the step down, even if you have another BMW?

By the way, the G35's interior is not appealing at all- nor the new Lexus ES. Neither seem to have much inspiration or beauty inside and out.

Maybe another midsize saloon (Audi A6, Infiniti M, Mercedes-Benz E) would be a more proper replacement.
    Im sorry if it was confusing, let me make it a little bit more simple.

2006 BMW 750 Li
    2005 BMW 530i for a 2007 LS 600hL
    2007 Toyota Camry for a 2007 Infiniti G35
    2005 Toyota Highlander for an Audi Q7
    And by the way, I was talking about the 2007 G35 and I dont know if you feel the same way about it. But I thought that both the exterior and the interior was very appealing. And I dont really care much about the size since Im going to have two extra long ultra luxury sedans, especially the 750Li.
    Well, I've never actually seen the new G in person, so once you test drive it tell me of the interior quality. The exterior isn't too offensive, it's just not very different- Lexus went in a totally different direction with the new IS. I realize, however, that Infiniti must be cautious to maintain their momentum in the market; Lexus is already an established player in America.

It is really the headlights that turn me off- they're not really integrated into the bodywork. IMO, the interior plastics look like rubber, but there hopefully will be a luxury package with better-looking wood.

It's funny to me... five years into its life, the A4 still seems to have the best interior in its class; in my eyes it's also the best-looking. Audi was smart with the update, the more I see it the more I like it. The rear looks almost Italian.

The 3 is striking, and much better-looking than the 5, but the 7 still has a presence neither can possess. I applaud your decision to get a 750li- BMW really did a nice job with the update.

Also, before you decide on the LS, you simply must look at the A8L (W12 if you'd like). It has timeless beauty, a flawless interior, easy-to-use interface and a wonderful V8 engine (never been in the W12, but I have the same V8 in my S4 Cabriolet).

However, this is a Q7 forum. It's a very, very nice SUV.
    I decided that i didnt want to wait that long for the new G even though its really good so I got a 2006 Lexus ES330 yesterday. I got it at a very very good price so thats why i bought it
    I see that you are very taken with Audi huh? you are getting one Audi after another. Just wondering if you would like to try another brand instead of Audi. Something like a BMW or Lexus or Mercedes
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice, if you happen to live near one of the tour stops.

Audi Kicks Off Ambitious Consumer Test-Drive Event (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    Please... let's focus on the Audi Q7 as this is the designated forum. If you want to talk about other cars or all the cars you own, do so on personal e-mail. Thanks in advance!
    My wife is looking for a new car to replace her LEXUS RX330. We were originally looking at the E350 4Matic, but she decided she wants to still have an SUV.

Our top choices:

Range Rover Sport HSE

Porsche Cayenne S

A possibility is also the '08 BMW X5. We think the Q7 is too big, and we don't want three Audis in the house.

Side note: The Mercedes-Benz ML is not a car we trust. It's also not very attractive inside/out, and the GL/R/G are all too big. My wife doesn't want another Lexus, oddly, even though we've had a flawless experience with both RXs. My son recommended the GS450h, but she doesn't want a sedan anymore.

Sorry chaddy75 for going off topic. This is the last time!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since the Audi isn't on your list, try one of these discussions instead:

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Porsche Cayenne

2007 BMW X5 (that one will carry over into '08).

Steve, Host
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    You are too funny and clearly a car enthusiast!
    Thanks- but I'm already in the Land Rover Range Rover Sport forum.

I'm not really interested in the other forums, to tell you the truth. I'm a die-hard Audi fan, and am still interested in seeing the Q7 close-up and personal at the dealership.

It looks like a fabulous vehicle, and almost every article has said something like "It's the best SUV in its class- for now."

;)