Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    "Without the 3rd row, the back seat is supposed to slide back a lot more for leg room in addition to reclining."

I called Subaru and asked about this. I was told that 34.3" was the maximum second row leg room with the seats slid all the way back. You can slide the seats forward to create additional third row legroom by giving up second row legroom. I personally would not put my kids in the third row. It's too close to the glass and offers little protection in a rear-end collision. With two kids, a 5-seat automobile meets our needs anyway.

On another note, I asked about downsizing to 17" rims for snow tires. I believe that the equivalent size to 255/55/18 is 235/65/17. This is want Tire Rack recommends for the X5. The stock tires rather wide and low profile for winter driving for those of us who live in snow country. I don't think that the rep understood why I would want to have a narrower, taller tire and anyway I couldn't do this because the Tribeca is a premium vehicle, she's seen it and it's nothing like Subaru has sold before. :confuse:

I also found out that the tire sensors are over $90 a piece. So much for a winter tire and wheel package :mad: Of course, I could put winter tires and wheels on without the sensors and have the low-pressure warning light on all winter">. These tire pressure sensors are more trouble than they're worth. The system also has to be reprogrammed by the dealer. On my sister's RAV4 the TPMS is reset by pushing a button on the dash!
  • teamjdteamjd Member Posts: 40
    "I was told that 34.3" was the maximum second row leg room with the seats slid all the way back"

I don't know what that is as far as actual sitting space, but when I rode in the back seat for the test drive with the seat all the way back it was quite comfortable...more so than the back of the Murano for me. I'm a wide-ish 6' footer. I don't know how it would be on a long trip though.
  • cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    Are you saying that the changing of a flat tire would require me to pay the dealer an additional 75/hr to reset the sensor??? What if I'm on vacation or need new tires. You or your local mechanic should be able to reset.

What other technology have they put into this car that wasn't thought through properly?

Charlie
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Boy, I turn my back for a minute and you folks talk up a storm. :)

We are definitely buying a vehicle. One of the problems with the B9 is the timing. My wife expected to be driving a new vehicle before the end of May, based on the fact that she is selling her Forester to family and that is their timeframe.

Now, since I have 2 vehicles my wife could use My Forester for a short time if necessary. :sick: This is just not the first choice.

The complications pile on. Haven't seen or touched it, let alone driven one, and now a price attitude that I should feel honored to pay MSRP for one of the few cars they will have available, maybe.

Bigelm, Juice and others have helped me believe that size will be ok, and graciously offered suggestions on going south to buy for a better deal. It is still more complicated than writing a check for $30 something K should be.

When dealers have $2300 markup and they want me to beg for an opportunity to buy one at MSRP, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am still getting e-mails today telling me to not miss the pre-order "deals", which is only the Subaru gift. I have personally brought over $100K in business to 1 of the places. :mad:

Frank
    Capitol is one of the places that is offering me the "opportunity" to pre-order at MSRP.

Frank
    My wife drove a Highlander a while back and liked it but thought it was a bit "vanilla", appliance -like, so we agree on the boring. However, owning a Highlander is not a bad business decision, if bought at a good price, and it has reliability at least as good as our beloved Foresters.

My wife is a bean-counter by profession, so the business part is important. Buying a vehicle at or near MSRP today is a bad business decision for all the reasons you mentioned earlier. Someday down the road they will have a bunch of them they want to get rid of and the deals and incentives will flow, dropping the used value.

Timing is everything.

Frank
    Sly, I agree. We have no use for 7-passenger and don't want to pay for it. That is one of the sticking points with the Highlander.

My wife really liked the Murano, which may be the best comparison to the B9, for what she is looking for, but Nissan quality is a step down, and they don't have "real" AWD.

Frank
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Frank, I'm sure you know there are also 5-passenger models too, without the 3rd-row seat. That's only a problem if you want NAV and/or DVD, as those features are not available on the 5-passenger versions.

Bob
    Hi Bob. Thanks, the 5 is what I have been asking the dealers for. I am concerned that with initial availability being tight that most of what might be around might be 7s.

I think that is part of what eats us. On paper, except for the premium fuel, the 5 passenger Tribeca Limited is exactly what we need/want. We love Subaru and would love to have VDC, but it doesn't seem "in the cards" this time around.

Frank
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    My wife and I took a new B9 for a good test drive this morning. Although I hate SUVs, my wife likes the higher seating position and insists on one for her. We liked the interior look and the driving dynamics. For an SUV, is was very good. On rough roads the ride was compliant and quiet. Cruised the interstate at 80 for awhile and felt more solid than any SUV we've driven, short of the BMW X5. I was concerned the 3.0 litre motor would lack the low end torque to do the job, but it was close to our Pilot. Finally, took it on a road with some twisties and the only problem was my wife kept telling me to slow down. On the downside, I still think the front end is bad news, it doesn't have nearly as much cargo space as our Pilot and I'm concerned about resale. Overall, my wife said to go ahead and get her either the B9, or if I want to wait for the Pilot refresh in the fall, that was OK too. I may actually buy the B9 through the VIP program and the dealer is willing to give me a great trade in price on the Pilot. It's going to be a tough choice. On the other hand, I called my sister and brother-in-law to get over the dealer before this vehicle left the dealership at noon. They drove it and will probably order one.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I hate paying MSRP for any car and don't like feeling forced to drive 100s of miles to get a better deal, but that being said, and I mentioned this in my post a couple of days ago, vanbortelsubaru near Rochester NY lists selling prices on their website for the B9 a couple of thousand below MSRP. I have no ties to that dealer, but they have a super reputation for sales and service and claim to be the #1 Subaru dealer in sales in the US. They are also selling California emission cars in NY and don't you need one of those in MA? When I posted this reference a couple of days ago, I believe it was sweet subie who suggested these prices were too high and that his dealer in Wakefield had a better price. Now, there's a long line of posts suggesting that the NE dealers are in lockstep offering to sell B9's at MSRP only, and no more mention that the dealer in Wakefield is offering to sell cars at a lower price than I found posted at vanbortel. I haven't had to drive a couple of hours to buy a subaru, as I certainly would to save a few hundred dollars. My local dealer has matched vb's prices to keep my business. Rochester should be about 5-7 hours from Boston. Martin
    Martin,

Did you notice that what Van Bortel is claiming as invoice is $500 higher than the number that edmunds and cars101.com is showing? Van Bortel invoice is higher on the Outback as well. Of course they're still selling below MSRP...

Being from Rochester, how do you think the 255/55/18 tires would handle in the snow? I'm from Syracuse, so like you I see a fair amount of snow...
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I noticed the $500 difference the other day, too and was curious. I don't know enough about tires to figure out how a larger diameter and a lower profile will change handling in the snow. But, I gather larger diameter snow tire will cost much more, if you go that route. I put Nokian WRs on my 02 OB as I found the 16" Potenzas slipped and slid in the snow after one year on the road. I'm actually in the Syracuse area, but have found the local dealer will matched Rochester prices on a couple ofOBs we bought.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I'm not sure why everyone makes such a big deal of the premium fuel thing.

That's only about $100-$150 per year. Compared to the overall cost of owning and operating a $40K car, it's peanuts.

Sly
  • toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    Do a google search for Subaru VIP program, join one of the groups (memberships start at $20) wait for six months and pay invoice.
    This is what a Subaru salesman from Seattle says on his site (cars101.com) about the TPMS:

Replace a wheel or use the spare? When you replace the wheel or use the spare tire without the original pressure sensor/transmitter being transferred, the low tire pressure warning light will flash. It needs all 4 sensors feeding it information.

Rotation? The system is programmed so it knows which sensor is at which wheel. But the dashboard light only indicates a low tire, it does not indicate which tire is low!
    Thus a correct tire rotation would involve re-programming each wheel so the receiver module knows where that sensor is after the rotation.
    In my opinion only, re-programming the system after each rotation is expensive and might not be necessary unless you are trying to track down a slow leak that can't be found with a normal pressure gauge.
    Hi Martin. Thanks, I saw your note the other day. I guess if we had the opportunity to have driven one, and knew it was exactly what we wanted, I would be more willing to travel. As it is some of the dealers I have inquired with are over an hour away. If I bought one it would require multiple trips since the pre-orders are "on approval", and I wouldn't want to pressure myself into just taking it because of all the trouble I went through. It is still a timing thing. I know in short order they will be dealing, they will have to.

Frank
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi Martin !
    Many many thanks for your informative post !!!! For the New Englanders in the group we now have an option. A fun 5 hour road trip for a $2000 savings + $500 pre-order bonus is a perfect weekend maker. Most of the "at-cost" discounts offered by Subaru to groups i.e. International Mountain biking require a 6 month wait and in our case the 93 legacy wagon is on it's last legs.

Steve.
    In my case premium is not a big deal but it is a difference. Every $100 in my pocket is better than someone elses. If you save enough peanuts pretty soon you have a whole bag.

You have to admit that needing premium is not a selling point. The ad will never say, "Come see the new Tribeca, it runs on premium".

Here in MA we have crappy gas and before the prices went through the roof we would routinely use higher octane than the 87 called for, even if it was just to get a mix every 2nd or 3rd tank. It is nice to have choices.

Frank
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    Family outgrowing the VW bus (I'm "kidding"). 2 yr old and one one the way. Campers, Canoeists, Travelers, Musicians...with good jobs (aging Deadheads!)

Have sat in, but not yet driven the Tribeca; scheduled next week. Interior made me feel like a safe egg. Am cautiously exuberent. Have looked at Murano, Pathfinder, MDX, Pilot, X90, Toyota, VW, etc. My soul has decided Tribeca.
    $ permit used MDX or new Pilot....or maybe a B9, at invoice or close.

Premium fuel requirement had me shook at first, until recent post with calculation.

Innovative design vs. repugnent exterior can be easily solved with a bold Grateful Dead sticker. This is a very cool SUV / Crossover / Subaru!, "face it" or move on.

Looked at Murano last night again and seasoned salesman was speachless when I mentioned Tribeca. Explained AWD and side curtains and, and, and he had no comeback. Stuck to his guns, but seemed kinda sad. Murano dash is too "chunky" IMO, ...Oh, and that front end... looks like big teeth; both price and reliability questionable, compared to Tribeca, even right off the line.

I get the sense, being so new, noone yet knows what to make of this Progessive SUV. From my experience last night, competition is wary. Subu dealers and potential customers are hopeful, yet trying to find common ground. We've read everything from over msrp (c'mon) to 550 over invoice, to invoice pricing. Everyone who really wants one will get one, eventually, at the right price. It sounds like those in NE have a solvable situation, and "dealing" with it! Go for it, good luck!

A friend last night, a smart one, who just bought a new Porche Cayenne, seemed to be actually experiencing buyer's remorse in not further considering this new Subaru after showing him some web info & pics. Impulse buy, and regret?
    And, remarkably, about $30,000 difference. Can this vehicle really be appealing to everyone from the Highlander buyer to the Cayenne buyer? Or was I just being entertained while my friend was just being nice.

Two questions for this thread: Can anyone suggest a durable car top carrier for camping equipment for the B9? And...Can any Milwaukee, Chicago, lower Michgan folks provide the best "invoice" dealer. As said, I will travel!
  • cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the info

Do you know how the system is reset?

This could be a major problem if the dealer is the only one who can reset the system!
    I'm hoping that Subaru is reading this!!

I can't pre-order not knowing about this TPMS

Charlie
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    For any PacNW'ers or others willing to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to central Oregon (city of Bend) May 7th, here's a unique Subaru-sponsored event where you can win a B9 Tribeca:
    http://www.raceandace.com/prizes.asp
    It's slalom skiing in the morning followed by an 18-hole golf scramble in the afternoon. A hole-in-one on the 16th hole wins a Tribeca. :shades: Been there once... Bend is a beautiful area - outdoor-lover's paradise for those willing to take the trip.

Also regarding the tire-pressure monitoring system... isn't this a government-mandated feature on vehicles by 2007? We'd better get used to paying more for tire-related stuff.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Here's a new "review" from the Globe and Mail newspaper. They didn't drive one, but it's still a good read. Keep in mind those prices are Canadian dollars. For those who can deal with the metric system, there's a good comparison chart at the bottom of the story... Tribeca vs. MDX, Murano, RX330, Highlander, and Pilot. Looks good on paper (or in the paper).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050428.wxwhtribeca28/BNStory/specialM- egawheels/
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    How many of members in the forum complained about Tribeca's looks & there is no way they would buy one.

Today, as Juice & I predicted, every single one of us is ready to buy. This SUV does have an amazing impact. It is innovative & a great setback for RX330 & MDX.

I still don't see this as a $40k car. Fully loaded + tax etc comes to 40k, Hopefully i get 3k off MSRP by Dec less my 2K of Subaru bucks, it is only $35k...same as an OB VDC.

But i will have a car that is equally as good/looking even better than RX/MDX at a highlander price.
    knowing only kids can sit in 3rd row & no side airbags. How may other SUVs have side air bag for 3rd row ?
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    newsubu - you must be in 'my' neck of the woods .. I'm in South Bend IN
  • klrskirklrskir Member Posts: 5
    My family has long been Subie owners, and I am looking forward to trading my ‘03Benz ML500 on the new B9 (I pre-ordered). Yes, the Benz is nice, HOWEVER at a cost of about $1700 per year in tires, rotors and pads, I’ve reached “that” point…This is ridiculous!!! Imagine AFTER the warranty expires in 5,000 miles. The new B9 has everything (except Xenon lamps, integrated phone and rain-sensing wipers) that my ML500 has. I will miss the xenon headlights, there is NO comparison. Anyway, I have a great dealer (Stocker) here in State College, PA that has sold the family about 12 Subies over the years. :) I'm excited, it's a Sube!
  • webgopherwebgopher Member Posts: 3
    I agree. Lafayette is the place to meet, but why not make the meeting place be inside SIA. Does anyone know how to arrange plant tours? We could watch them build the model we want. A while back I was working for an inspection company on the painted body storage line at SIA and saw the first two Tribeca bodies come up the ramp from the oven. Odd-looking at first glance. Now that I work for the company making the IPs and other inside parts I'm wanting one. How much freight can they tack on for a drive of less than two miles from the plant? :D
    What color combo did you go with ?
  • klrskirklrskir Member Posts: 5
    Silver with the grey interior. It's so easy to keep clean ;)
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    to a tour in Lafayette ....
    At least you will know what color to get, "A Touch of Gray". ;)

Frank
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    Touch of Grey interior, definitely! Trying to decide on Mohogany Red or Black. Wife likes the Seacrest Green, but i'd rather it be darker. Of course, I've seen none of these colors in person.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, on a weekend no less.

Group Buy: while I did make the suggestion, I'll admit I'm not certain about the timing of our purchase, plus I might wait and buy one used. But please proceed, seems like there would be 3-5 parties interested just here in this thread.

The 3rd row is roomier than the Highlander and about the same as the MDX. Only the Pilot and LR3 are roomier. My 5 year old is 99th percentile in size for her age and fit comfortably with the middle seat 4" forward.

Considering you have another 4" of leg room if you need it, I imagine all but large adults would fit there just fine.

Here's the thing, it's not a bus. You're not going to go on a 7 hour road trip with 7 people, where would the luggage even fit?

Even if you did get the bigger Pilot, the "hump" position is not comfortable, 2nd or 3rd row, so only 6 people would fit. 8 is very, very optimistic. For current Pilot owners, be honest, have you ever sat 8 people in your car? I doubt it.

Face it - if you want to travel long distances with 7 people you need a van, period.

The point is this - when you have 2 kids and you car pool, you some times need to carry 6-7 passengers for short distances. I can imagine taking the 2 kids, the nanny, and maybe one of my daughters' friends to the apple orchard, where you need AWD to get to the best trees.

Or to the beach, about 3 hour trip. I think sitting 2/2/2 would be reasonable with Finding Nemo playing on the huge 9" DVD screen, don't you? You really think a 5 (or 8) year old is going to complain when she can sit next to her best friend and watch her favorite movie?

Heck no! Ask your kid, seriously, if she'd rather have 2" more legroom or 2" bigger DVD screen! LOL

I bet every kid picks the bigger movie screen.

-juice
    Sticker idea, that is. Cracked me up! :)

For your bean counter wife: remember you can get Subaru Bucks if you get their Chase Master Card.

Shall we do some, err, bean counting?

OK. Fitz let me put $2000 worth of my down payment on my credit card. Ka-ching, $60 in Subaru bucks right there.

If you're like us, you put everything on your credit card, if only for the protection it gives you.

My wife adds her reimbursed business expenses on top of that.

For us, that adds up to about $30 worth of Subaru bucks per month.

Over the long haul that means you can get free service or accessories, never mind the possibility of accumulating your next down payment.

The only catch? You have to spend $100 at a time. But you can get an oil change for $22, and then spend $78 on a cargo liner or ski rack, or even Subaru logo'd T-shirts. Or you could use 3 $100 coupons to pay for the full 30,000 mile service, so it ends up being free.

Now compare to the competition. For free service, you're talking a much more expensive BMW X5 or the upcoming Audi Q7. SUVs in the Tribeca's price range don't offer free service or a rewards program like Subaru's. ML350 is nice, but I think Mercedes discontinued the free service program and for $40,500 you do not get leather, DVD, Nav, heated seats, or a moonroof.

Count those beans. ;)

We used ours to buy a tune-up kit, since I do my own service, cabin air filters, oil filters, etc. Still have a few hundred accumulated, too.

-juice
    My wife's version is that I do all the service so it costs her nothing. :cry:

We do use CCs for the protection, but put big purchases on a card that pays back cash, so it can be spent anywhere. The card used has a longer grace period than the Subaru card, so we get to use "their" money longer, for free, and then they pay us. What a country! :D

Frank
    But how much do you get, 1%?

We had a Toys R Us card with the same bank, but I convinced my wife that three times the amount of Subaru bucks was better than a few free diapers.

I could buy a tune-up kit, tow hitch, tranny cooler, extra wireless headphones, etc. Stuff like that. Even on-line wholesalers accept Subaru bucks - I just spent some at 1stSubarupart.com.

Just noticed something - the Baja thread has only 1985 posts, and that vehicle has been out for 3 model years now.

The Tribeca thread has a lot more already and it's not even out yet, may not be for more than a month!

That's a very unscientific way to conclude there is a lot more interest in this SUV, which is nice considering the price points are a lot higher.

-juice
    Not sure, but it changes with amount. That is the bean counter's department, I am the engineer. It is more than 1% though. Besides, the wife spends "her" rebate check that resulted from "our" purchases, anywhere "she" wants, so "she" is way ahead. :(

I don't like store specific "credits" because it forces me to get things I don't really need, even if a good deal. We have a lot of "stuff", and the vehicles have a lot of "stuff", so we don't need more.

Perhaps there would be more Baja discussion if they had put an Alfa nose on it, and didn't have any around to drive. ;)

Frank
    Yeah, that or make the Greatful Dead sticker standard. :D

-juice
    Funny but the dealer said the opposite as he also had a 10 year old in the back seat. Due to the perforations he was confident the beige would come clean (at least with some magic cleaning solution). The grey had the downside of drinking in any soda, chewing gum etc. that his "little terrorist" in the backseat (as he put it)chose to dispose of.
    We are torn between the Blue/beige and Mahogany/beige. Having seen the Blue/grey in person, it's a gorgeous exterior. Wife did not like the gold exterior.
    Better sooner than later. Just found one dealer selling closer to invoice. Not as good as the NY price (they claim to pay $300 more in New England for cars) but here is the info.

http://www.premiersubaru.com/

B9 Tribeca 7 Passenger Limited
    (with Rear Seat DVD system and Navigation system) will cost $36,574

Prices include everything except sales tax, registration and dealer conveyance.
    Conveyance is $200.

Not as good as the http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/BuildYourCar.asp price which is at $36,150 but close.

Steve.
    Road trip ! Count us in.
    wow ! this tells me i can get 3-4k off by December.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    as the prices will be 6-7k lower
    Actually, my ideal price is "free". Yes, that's right zero.

Strangely Subaru does not return my calls. ;)

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    With a license plate/username like mine, who deserves a free Subie? ME! ;)

DW would like one, but she's mentioned that she also would like to move to a new house within a few years. So, her mind is on not picking up another car payment...for now.

-Brian
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Sorry to break in on this love fest, but I'm wondering about the following:

1) will the Tribeca gas milage be even worse than the combined 18 MPG CR gets in their Outback 6-cyl?

2) Just how bad is the visibility with the "style over functionality" design of the rear side windows?

It's funny how the Infiniti FX got slammed by Forester owners for having comparatively worse rearward visibility, but now that the Tribeca has a similar design to the FX, the Subaru faithful are in awe of the awesome design!

I'm not here to slam the Tribeca, in fact it's on my consideration list for this fall. I am concerned about the gas milage though, due to the weight and Subaru's traditionally poor milage figures.

It will be interesting in a year when the redesigned MDX is out with possibly a 40-50% real world gas milage advantage over the Tribeca.
    We don't know even what the EPA estimates are for mileage right now, so any answer would just be speculation.

I was one of the people that slammed the FX, so I plead guilty as charged.

However, the FX is much, much worse. The window tapers away more towards the front, and the small windows are completely blocked by the head rests.

The Murano is a little better. The Tribeca is slightly better than the Murano, and not nearly as bad as the FX. That's because the window tapers up near the D-pillar, but it's much farther back than in the FX.

That plus the Tribeca's rear head rests tuck down into the seat nicely, you can even fold the 2nd row flat without removing them.

Visibility will not be a strong point, however. At least the side mirrors are oversized to compensate.

-juice
    Check it out, it's not that bad. I'll see if I can find one of the FX. Imagine having no rear quarter window at all, and you get the idea. ;)

This photo was taken from the perspective of the driver seat. Notice how the head rests are not in the way.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    with that tiny window. do they have a hurling car icon?