Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Thanks for the pic. I do think the Tribeca will not be quite so bad in this respect. I will be test driving to make sure though.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Picture that 3rd row with the middle row moved forward 8", and you'll paint a different picture.

I'm all photo-happy today so let me try to find one that shows that...found one, with the seat all the way back there is no space for your legs, but the left side slides up 8" and room isn't as bas as some are saying.

-juice
    The scale is a little off on that thumbnail, click it to see the full picture.

The funny thing is that photo (scaled that way) seems to support swampy's theory. LOL

-juice
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    The third row would be purely for overflow (kid's friends) for us, and even then for short trips. If anybody needs a third row for daily use, you will most likely be happiest in a minivan.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    my point is not about the leg room, but the lack of window space for the 3rd row passengers. it may have been you that said something about the murano/fx people trading it in cuz people were getting sick back there cuz of the small windows?

when driving the hills of nj where i live, a good sized window seem to offset the nausea of being tossed around. you put people in with no window, i better supply the barf bags
    If the window were big, you'd be complaining that it would not be safe since the side curtain air bags do not reach the 3rd row. :P

I hadn't heard about any car sickness complaints, so that must've been someone else. I did mention the blind spots on the FX, however.

-juice
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    If the window were big, you'd be complaining that it would not be safe since the side curtain air bags do not reach the 3rd row.

Yes, this is the reason for the 3rd qtr windows. i read it in one of the places.
    That's the one thing I liked about the XC90 - nice big window plus SAC to protect that row. The seats themselves are not as good, there is scant leg room.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    found the fx kids gettting sick post...

Subaru did a good job pricing the Tribeca. It's a good alternative to stretching for an Acura/Lexus/Infiniti SUV. Given the great interior - sat in 2 different B9's at the NY car show Subaru pre-show - I'm wondering where they cut corners?

Just have to wait for a test drive...

Someone mentioned 28 mpg highway. NO WAY! My LLBan was stickered at 20 city /28 highway and I haven't gotten over 20 in a long time. Just did a fuel induction service - waiting to see if it improves. 28? NO WAY!

Also, comparison to FX is all wrong. It's a bouncy sports car, not a family hauler. I have yet to see an FX with anyone in the back - especially kids. Test drove the FX 4 times before buying an MDX - hoping it would soften up. My 8 yr. old daughter asked for me to stop her test drive so she could get out after my wife bounced over on top of her! Also read Edmunds posts of people who sold the FX after their kids kept getting sick. No joke...but it is really fun to drive if you are holding on to the steering wheel!

Ralph
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    The window sticker on the B9 I drove Saturday said 18 city, 23 highway.
    That's not very good, I hope that's wrong.

So Ralph said the kids were getting car sick in the second row of the FX. But that's also due to the stiff ride. Some of those come with 20" rims!

-juice
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    The demo I saw a couple weeks ago had about 8000 miles on it, basically being driven from one dealer to another, hwy / cty mix. The average mileage showing on the info screen was 19.3.
    Those get beat up pretty bad. I'm sure everyone that got behind the wheel wanted to do 0-60 sprints to see how it would measure up. Even the folks here that have had a chance have been pushing it (wives telling them to slow down). :)

-juice
  • mayberryguymayberryguy Member Posts: 145
    18/23 isn't that bad for this size SUV. The BMW X3 3.0 is rated at 17/24. So right in line with the competition.
    Subaru will be building right hand drive Tribecas starting with the 2007 MY.
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    The computer in the Demo unit we drove said 18.1 mpg with 312 miles driven.
    Was that the Blue/wGrey interior ?
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Blue is only offered with the Beige interior. Grey interior only on silver & white. Wife wants blue & grey, so this may kill the deal. We'll see.
    The demo unit we drove was blue/w grey interior. Very nice. If i could figure out how to load jpgs would be happy to show pics. This link shows color config.
    http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/BuildYourCar.asp
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    According to a link that was posted over at nabisco awhile back, Subaru's executive claimed that the B9 would have better MPG than the BMW X5 NOT the X3.

So, I expect this to be better or there are going to be some serious disappointments!!!
    Mission accomplished against the X5 3.0 rated at 16/21. The Tribeca seems to be pretty competitive with their targets so far. I can't wait to see a comparison test to see how well it fairs in the real world. My predication is that it will do just fine, especially when you factor in price.
    Is the X5 really that bad? Guess so.

Pilot is 17/22, for some reason I thought it was 18/24.

Just looked up the Highlander, and 18/24 are the Highlander's numbers. That's why they seemed familiar.

Highlander is geared tall, though. That's why in Edmunds' tests the old Outback H6 (212hp) outran it even with the old 4 speed auto. I'm sure the Tribeca will outrun the new Highlander, but maybe not the Hybrid.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Well, as long as the targets are a hit and there is TRUE competition, then we'll have a winner ;-)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    rmanke, blue w/grey is available on all 7-passenger models. 7-pass is not too much $$ more than 5-pass and should have better resale/trade-in value. You lose a small under-floor storage area but gain extra seating capacity. Not a bad trade-off, even if you only unfold that 3rd row a couple times.
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    The "Be First" contest to win a free Tribeca has concluded and the winners have been announced at http://www.b9tribeca.com/befirst.

Anyone here win anything?

I would have put the odds of a Mississippi resident winning the grand prize near zero. Last month, while SOA was setting its all-time April sales record, exactly one Subaru was sold in Mississippi.
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    ateixeira, in message ateixeira, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #2770, 3 May 2005 10:28 am you were able to enclose a GIF with your message and even got an inline thumbnail image created.

How did you do that?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    darn, nope. bummer. would have liked the driving gloves ;)

-Brian
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Hmmm...funny you should mention that. I had already been there, done that, and am quite familiar with the forum (I haven't been gone at all...I have been lurking for months). Let's see, I initially searched "seat height", "entry exit", "leg room", and didn't find at all what I was curious about. Perhaps I wasn't clear...I literally want to know how far it is from the ground to the bottom of the back seat cushion. Thx :-) Karen in AZ
    Do you mean the top of the backseat cushion, not the bottom? That's where you'd sit... on the top of the cushion. If that's not it, I'm missing what you're asking about. Hope I'm not being obtuse. :confuse:
    Ancient chinese secret. ;)

I can't say, but just know that our hosts are adding some enhancements soon. :D

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Well, since you're in the know: where did the emotorcons go??
    I still have them. :confuse:

-juice
    Hmm - I don't have them. Instead of the little cutsie icon all I see is:

colon confuse colon

Off the the software questions topic.
    It does work for me. They did ask me to beta test some new features. I'm sure it has to do with this rollout.

-juice
    They're back - I had to select to display emotorcons in my preferences. See:

:):D;) :shades:
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    I signed up for the "be first" contest, and have been getting pretty regular email from Subaru. It's nice of them to stay in touch, but I wonder who in their right mind would actually purchase a new car with an email, at MSRP, without even so much as a tire kick!? No offense to anyone who has done this, but it might just save you a couple grand or more by actually discussing with a person. What could be the advantage? Am I missing something here?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    and, if you got one at a great price, many would follow suit and Subaru would undermine its dealer network.

Having only bought 2 new cars and probably neither one at the best possible price, I can look my salespeople in the face and we can enjoy and even respect each other. That is really more important than squeezing the last dollar out of a deal.

On the other hand I want to buy my citrus juicer from Amazon.com and not hassle with 1 hour at Target and 1 hour at Walmart trying to figure out what I want.

For me it is a matter of deciding when a relationship behind the product is essential.

John
  • ms121269ms121269 Member Posts: 9
    What kind of prices are you getting offered and interest rates for the Tribeca? Also, did you get to test drive it we did not get to, the regional sales rep said no one drove it but her so we got a test ride not a drive, kind of a let down.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    My bean-counter wife couldn't pull the trigger on the Highlander, too much Soob withdrawal. While the relative dollars were great (the deal), she started thinking about the absolute dollars she was spending for a non-Subaru.

She has really loved "all things" about her 01 Forester Premium and pondered why she wanted something different, except newer. She ended up buying a Bean Forester (blue), at well *below* invoice. There are enough differences, including leather, for it to feel like a different car. She has finally weaned herself from black, even though there was a black Bean sitting there.

She is happy, and counting the thousands of sheckles she saved, while still owning a Subaru. I am happy because she is happy. Dealer is happy to retain a customer.

Win-win-win. :D

We are still planning to go to the Tribeca "great unveiling party" to check it out. There is always next time, after things calm down, including the "selling process", and availability. We prefer things when dealers beg us to buy, and throw money at us. ;)

Maybe my 02 Forester would like to turn into a B9. :surprise:

Frank
    So B9X cutting corners here:

1. Simple 3yr warranty & sch maintenance. not in par with luxury

2. one-touch driver side window ?
    Some people just have to be the first, and are willing to pay for the privilege.

Remember one of the early New Beetles sold on E-bay for $25 grand. And that was with the 2.slow engine. I think a PT Cruiser hit the same amount. Mini Coopers, too. And that's if you could find one - supply is the real problem with hot cars early on.

I don't imagine the Tribeca will be the industry's "it" car, not will it suffer from the car-of-the-moment syndrome, it's here then it's old news.

Subaru will not undermine its dealer network, they will actually refer you to the closest dealer. In the US, dealers have a *lot* of lobbying power and won't let that happen.

Frank: wow, kind of a shocker, but congrats!

I guess it's a known quantity, if she was happy with the old one, she'll probably be even happier with the better equipped new one.

Keep in mind luxury brands charge about $7 grand higher prices (retail) for that free schedule maintenance and longer basic warranty. You could pre-pay for both and still save about $5 grand with the Tribeca.

-juiced
  • grdh20grdh20 Member Posts: 46
    Whwre are you getting that from?
  • teamjdteamjd Member Posts: 40
    I believe I saw both driver and passenger one touch windows when I drove it.
    Pre-ordered last week...can't wait till it gets here. :)
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    I have been thinking about the pre-order and wonder if there is any kind of commitment. I won't buy a car until I've had the chance to drive one. I did that with my '99 Odyssey and wasn't the happiest camper. I'd like to see one in the blue with tan interior.

Paul in MN.
    Milwaukee, WI, newspaper review of B9 Tribeca:
    http://www.jsonline.com/wheels/test/apr05/319728.asp

Mississauga, Ontario, newspaper review. Lots of mistakes in this one... author calls it a Saab at least 3 times, says "H6" is the alpha-numeric code for Outback, says the 3rd row is 40/20/40 split, calls it a Variable Valve "Life" System rather than "Lift". Author also says something I've not heard before - there's an embargo on driving impressions until June 1.
    http://www.mississauga.com/mi/insidenews/story/2742206p-3174288c.html
  • teamjdteamjd Member Posts: 40
    I'm pretty confused about the pre-order process myself. From what I understand, your not commited unless you agree to buy it after they get it in, and you inspect it first. That is what I was told by the sales manager of the dealership.Your commiting to buy a car at a specific price granted, but if you haven't been givien the VIN# to the vehicle (which hasn't been built yet) just what is your commitment?...to buy a nonexistent vehicle? How about this -you pre-order a blue with tan Tribeca at a really cheap price. The next guy behind you orders an identical blue with tan Tribeca at MSRP. The dealership only gets one blue with tan Tribeca in. There next alotment won't come in for 2-3 more months. Whose Tribeca just came in? Your $500 profit one or the other guys $2000 profit one?
    yes, the color etc is to suject to what dealer gets.
    you better preorder with a big dealer to have some choices
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    :shades: I'm more than willing to drive out for a tour of the plant. We talked about this last year, just before the 05 Legacy/OB came out; maybe now is the time?

Mark
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    So I am late to this forum but has anyone driven this car yet? I have a 2005 MDX which has been just awful, and I am thinking of trading it for a Tribeca, any thoughts? Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    Test drove the blue with grey interior around Easter here in Ct. Was looking for the instructions to post a pic. The jpg's are huge. Am looking at linking to another site to post the pics. Anyhow the car we want to order today is the blue but with the beige interior. Better for cleaning and from what everyone says is just incredible. Also, was very serious about the Ody 05 but with no AWD and hills and snow in ct that killed the deal.
    Please be warned !!!! If you drive it you will be hooked, total shock etc. Have owned only sub's since 87 and this is a dramatic change. Mileage is not bad for a SUV.

Steve.