Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    You don't mention anywhere in your post about contacting Subaru. I would have brought them into the picture after the second visit. Contact coporate in NJ and make them get involved - You will get results.

Charlie
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Hi Steve

What tire are you considering for an up-grade?

Do you know the brand & model of the 255/55 18s that come from the factory?

I want to up-grade my B9's tires also. I don't go offroad and want tires that will serve me well during an Chicag winter - but my primary desire is a tire that will maximize the corning and handling of the B9 and still is quite and provide a comfortable (not Soft) ride.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My e-mail is: ortsacin@yahoo.com

Thanks
    John
  • subyctsubyct Member Posts: 4
    The Subaru dealer in Branford, CT had about 4.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call SoA when you encounter a problem like that, 800-SUBARU3. That's what Patti used to do when she frequented these boards (supervise dealer relations), though now she works in a different department.

Drove an ML in the M Class Road Rally and honestly can say I'd pick a Tribeca over an ML350. Mercedes estimates 0-60 in 8.2s but it felt comparatively slow after recently sampling the Tribeca. To be honet the Benz just didn't do anything for me, especially considering the price.

The ML500 was another story, much more fun, but still didn't handle as well as the Subie due to it being much taller. Plus it's $50k plus.

-juice
    Got the print edition of the Washington Post today, and found an extremely flattering review of the Tribeca. Warren Brown compares it favorably to competitors from Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Lexus, and Land Rover.

His reviews are generally kind but he really pours praise all over this one, saying SoA has "engineered a miracle".

:)

-juice
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    As I was flying down the freeway in the Outback today, late for an appointment as usual, I glance over at my local Subie dealer (Marysville, WA.) and I spot 3 B9s! Late or not I had to take a quick look.

The exterior looked just as weird as the photo's, but I liked it, very distinctive, very Subaru like, not boring like the Pilot or some of the other boxes out there. Unlike most others the wife really liked the front end but was unsure of the back end (to busy she said). Overall she gave a thumbs up for the exterior styling (this would be her car or truck or whatever it is).

We only had a few minutes to check out the interior. Lot's of leg, elbow and head room for me in the drivers seat (I'm the one who had to modify the seat in my Outback), but for some reason the passenger side didn't have nearly as much leg room. I know I wouldn't be comfortable there for long trips, probably a good excuse to be the driver. The wife fell in love with the interior and didn't want to get out, she has always had Hondas or Acuras and felt that the B9 was a step up in quality. We didn't have time to really look at all the knobs, switch's and gizmos but everything looked logically laid out and of high quality.

So our first impression was "we like it". I know, not much of a review but I thought maybe some tall people would like to know they might fit in it. For sure will take it for a test drive soon.

Eric
  • junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    Agree with that juice. Warren Brown almost waxes poetic during this review which he does not do often. No notes however about the interior noise levels of the Tribeca. Hopefullly with the framed windows they will be lower compared to my 03 Forester.
    Ain't hard to fall in love with that, not at all.

-juice
  • irish24irish24 Member Posts: 43
    Was at the local subaru dealer on thurs. saw a new tribeca in the parking lot. Salesguy said 3 had come in 2 days before. one was sold and gone as soon as it came in. Price is getting up there. The 5 seater had a price tag of 31+ the 7 seater w nav was slightly more than 38 Looked like a cross between a Murano and some of the other SUV's coming out.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    just like they did for WRX? Seems yet another well engineered vehicle from Subaru won't enjoy the sales success it deserves due to polarizing styling.
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    The NEW Subaru B9 Tribeca website is upgraded and live! Much new specific info, including competitor comparisons, warranty info, dealer inventory, complete interior & exterior accessories, options, a few new pics, etc. Even has a section for anticipated reviews. Nice job, check it out:

link title
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Test drove both the Tribeca and Legacy GT wagon today in NJ. The Legacy lists at 97.4 cu. ft. of cabin space and the Tribeca at 141.8. The 43 or so cu. ft. of extra space seems to come mostly from the extra width of the Tribeca. How much more useful do you all think the Tribeca is from a space standpoint vs. the Legacy wagon? Back seat room is essentially the same -- do you think the width and/ or slightly larger cargo space plays out on longer trips? As the Legacy GT is more fun to drive IMO (hey, it's several hundred pounds lighter and has similar hp), I'm wondering if the Tribeca is worth it to me. Interior is nicer, but not sure I want to pay simply for a more luxurious and slightly quieter interior.

Just had kid #2, am moving up from the Forester and trying to figure my next move.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Unless I made some serious error in the math - those 255/55 tires have a side wall height of about 5.6 inches.

It that still considered low profile?

John, that would be 5.6 cm, not 5.6 inches! Translates to about 2.25 inches which is not a lot of rubber. Factor in squat (as the aspect ratio is a no-load measurement), and it gets even smaller.

Steve
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Actually no, that's 5.6" not cm.

255 * .55 = 140.25 mm = 5.52"
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    check out the OB XT, they have good deals on 2005 now. I just bought one & is nice !!!!
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    and... well...mixed feelings , i'm about to get a new car (currently own classic '98 forester :) )

it's roomier overall (than forester) --> except for headroom, it's hard to beat forester in that respect...interior is really good-looking, honestly, i liked cloth (dark one) better than leather. from short time i drove it i think: it would benefit greatly from slightly stronger engine, it basically performed the same as my 7 ys old forester (plus ugly engine noise as it struggled to accelerate, went over 5000 prm very quickly, and i didn't really step on the gas that hard, just regular hwy merger)...very small sunroof, and yes, it's not that quiet...nothing exceptional....wel i'll be looking at more different cars (X90, tuareg, new saab ect) but still don't exclude Tribeca, overall a pretty good car.
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    Still waiting in Tucson for the first Tribeca to arrive. It seems the distribution is not equally allocated.
    I do not need a third row of seats but I am wondering, if I order a Tribeca with the third row of seats and keep them folded, will it help to reduce the road noise in the back of the vehicle??
  • shirtshirt Member Posts: 1
    I'm quite interested in this car but have a few space requirements and am wondering if anyone who's got one can give me a feeling if they'll be met.

IF I get the 7-passenger, and IF I fold down half of the third row and the second row seat in front of it, can I fit a road bike in length-wise with only the front wheel removed? I have yet to find reliable interior space specs.

IF one has the 5-passenger, how feasible are three car seats in a row? If the answer is "not very," how happy would a normal length/width 10 year-old be in the 3rd row of the 7-passenger?

IF you have the 7-passenger with all seats at attention, how laughable is the storage space in the back?

My wife has a Sienna which has room up the wazoo, and I currently drive a Protege-5 which is gutless but still very fun to drive. We recently moved to a *very* snowy, steep place and the Protege-5 was worthless for about 2 months this winter. I can only really fit two kids in my car and need something bigger but would like to do something a little smaller than a minivan and with all-wheel drive a little more advanced than the unit that comes with the Sienna.

And yes, the road bikes ride inside with me to the races...

Thanks!

/shirt39
    I found the engine very noisy as well when i test drove. my wife & i were very surprised. The same H6 engine in OB, i didn;t find noisy. is it the extra weight ?

I am finding it hard to tell my wife to sell her MPV (whose interior space is excellent). Tribeca's cargo is less than sedan's when seated 7 ?
    "NO ONE DOES UGLY MORE BEAUTIFULLY THAN SUBARU". THE BEST QUOTE I HAVE EVER HEARD ON SUBARU.

SWAMPY, YOU GOT ANYTHING BETTER THAN THIS ?
    I found the Tribeca to be extremely quiet on my drive, more so that the Legacy GT which I drove right after. Both are noticeably quieter than the '03 Forester I own. Just haven't decided yet whether the Tribeca is worth the extra $$$ to me over a Legacy wagon given that there doesn't seem to be that much more space. Probably have to go to a minivan to make a real jump in space, but don't think I ready or willing to go there yet.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    try OB XT, you will love it.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I can't say for sure about the Tribeca fitting the bicycles, but I don't see why not. Before I picked up a hitch rack, I was able to fit 2 mountain bikes (with tires on) inside my OBW with back seat folded down. Since the Tribeca is a bit bigger, you should have no problem. I take it a hitch rack is not an option?

Mark
  • lesholesho Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am planning on test driving a Tribeca tonight. I am currently driving a Volvo 850 Glt Wagon w/ 5 speed, and am looking for something that is more comfortable, larger, and has decent gas mileage. So far I've looked at a Highlander, which my husband and I like, but find a bit boring, and a Prius, which is very intriguing but not worth the premium cost as I have an almost non-existent commute. We want something that is a comfortable traveling car - again, with good mileage.

Here's my problem - my husband is opposed (and I am too somewhat) to buying a vehicle that requires premium fuel. The Tribeca appears to fall in the category as does the Murano, which would also be on our list were this not the case.

I realize premium fuel is required for engines designed in a certain fashion, but in a mid-priced vehicle, given current gas prices, this seems frankly stupid. The Toyota Highlander is probably going to win-out over the Tribeca (or Murano) with us because of the fact that regular fuel is fine to use (as it is in all Toyotas). Does anyone have any insight about this? I've never owned a Subaru, but given it's rep as a very practical car, it surprises me that premium fuel is required. I would also think that most car companies should be considering this element in their design of cars, given the cost of gas today.
    Outback XT -- thanks for the rec. Why this vs. the Legacy GT wagon? thx
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    I really like the Tribeca and have one on order but is anyone else disappointed in the size of the fuel tank? The specs say 16.9 gallons, that seems small to me and if you compare to other competitors Tribeca is the smallest. Wish they had a option for a extended fuel tank...
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Let me start by saying that the best way to 'measure' the interior is by sitting in one. Numbers written on paper is just that...
    I've never understood how auto manufacturers measure the interior because my experience has always been unrelated to the 'numbers'.

Take the B9 for instance, many of you say that the B9 doesn't have that much space than the Legacy. Meanwhile a 6'5" person like myself sits in it and says there's a world of difference. The interior has alot of space for the driver. Maybe the co-driver space has been sacrificed alittle, but it's still more than the Legacy offers. The 2nd row's advantage is the ability to slide forward or back (to increase space). Sliding all the way back makes it comfortable even for my height. Yes, you sacrifice 3rd row space but show me a vehicle who has ample 3rd row space and I'll show you a Twin Scroll Turbo B9 :p

IMO, interior space numbers don't mean anything. Everyone's body torsoe is different, so the best way is to sit your butt in one. Heck, even edmunds says the SRX has ample room, and quite honestly, it felt cramped to me.

With that said, I'm still waiting for (my wife's) B9.
  • cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    This is a never ending question regarding the Tribeca and many other cars. The consensus seems to be that turbocharged cars need premium. Otherwise, the use of regular reduces gas mileage slightly and results in a little less power. If one type of fuel is used from the beginning, usually the car's computer can adjust to the octane used. I think the Tribeca and Murano are borderline cases where premium is recommended but not definitely required. My friend has an Audi 4 turbocharged four cylinder and he has used regular gas since the outset. At 20,000 miles he has absolutely no problems and no pinging.
    So, I would not let the recommended type of fuel be an overriding factor, especially in a car that does not have a turbocharged engine.
    Before ordering my Tribeca I raised the premium fuel issue with a Subaru Regional Manager and a sales rep. Both informed me that Premium is recommended not required.

Lets say they were wrong.

If you drive 15000 miles a year and 20 MPG (the Tribeca will most likely do better) you will use 750 gallons in a year. At 20 cent up-charge for premium that means you will spend an extra $150 per year or $2.60 a week more on gas.

That is a small price to pay for such a great vehicle.
    How many hours do you want to drive with out a break? On the road a B9 should go a least 5 to 6 hours. Around town maybe you will fuel it once every 7 to 10 days.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I also calculated that it's costing me $125 to $150/year max for premium fuel. Just figure it into your total cost of ownership: it adds up to $500 to $1000 over the life of the car, depending how long you keep it. If you add that to the price of the Tribeca, is it still an attractive vehicle?

Sly
    Sat/drove both the Tribeca and Legacy GT Wagon, and at 6' 2", I'm not exactly a pygmy. Anyway, rear leg room was about the same w/the seat all the way back on the Tribeca, a bit more shoulder room though. Was expecting it to feel significantly bigger than the GT, but it did not to me.
  • gt2b9gt2b9 Member Posts: 16
    Picked up our 7 pass LTD/w NAV yesterday from Carter Subaru in Seattle....Since I've now put about 200 miles on it here are a few observations.

Ride...Great road feel. Tighter than an MDX and comparable, if not any improvement on the X5

Comfort... My wife and I are both short, 5'0 and 5'6 respectively, both of us feel very comfortable with the visibility and accessability of all the controls. Layout is very easy to work with although the NAV touch screen does require a slight lean forward as I'm negative on the monkey index (short arms).

Fuel Economy, after 200 miles it says 18 MPG...this is about 50/50 city and 75 mph on the freeway.

Overall positive impression on the verge of ecstatic with our purchase. My wife, who drives an Audi A4 likes the drive better than her car.

Negatives - Haven't figured out how to set the Northwest Region for the GPS points of interest and also, when entering an address, the NAV allows only for an alpha entry, not numeric, which is troublesome if your looking for something on a numbered street....Awaiting to here from Subaru on an answer on that question. Any insights?
  • shadowlightshadowlight Member Posts: 9
    Bigelm,

Similar request to cpp788x. My email address is shad0wlightus@yahoo.com (that is an zero in shadow, just in case it does not come across correctly).

Thanks
  • mattamemattame Member Posts: 20
    Not so sure I would say the back seat room is essentially the same between the B9 and the Legacy. We had specific width criteria in order to fit 2 car seats and a booster across the second row and we could not do that in ANY other Subaru models--only the Tribeca. What if kid number 3 comes along.....?? I would say it would be nicer to be safe than sorry. The car seats barely fit---but we have rather large Alpha Omega seats with the armrests attached (can detach for extra room).
    Anyway....just wanted to point out that the space on hip room is notable and makes all the difference between fitting 2 or 3 children across the second row.
    Good Luck!
    Amy :D
    I just posted a similar reply...but i can be a bit more specific in hopes of helping. I've actually tested out this car seat situation in the beca already (in the showroom). 2 toddler (front facing) Alpha Omega seats and one booster seat do seem to fit in the Tribeca. What we searched for when looking at all vehicles (regardless of make and model) was a 2 row hip room of at least 54.5 inches and then we would actually physically test out the fit in the car. I would recommend doing that if you are considering the B9 as every car seat can fit differently. Not too many mid sized SUV's met the width criteria (i think the murano did and also the kia sorento, and sportage, no on the nissan pathfinder, though. The pilot and highlander: yes...i could go on...but you get the idea) I ramble on....I'm sorry.... Hope this helps. I'm not really sure how a child will fare in the 3rd row in a car seat or booster. With the younger ones...i imagine their feet would have nowhere to go when they stick out from the car seat. Also, remember that third row sits very low to the ground---seems like only 4-5 inches from floor to top of seat. I''m sure the guys have specs on that??
    Good Luck!
    Bob and I just got back tonight from Valley Forge, we piggy-backed along with an event for SoA staff and got to test several Tribecas and (bonus!) a 2006 Forester as well. Here's my summary:

SoA hosted us for the "Tribeca Experience" today and we got to drive them on the road for a good while (90 minutes, though we alternated drivers). We also got to test them in a parking lot against competitors.

On public roads they drove really nicely. We had 4 people per car and I only got to drive once, but I was a passenger in every other seating position. We even got to go in a Pilot for one of the rotations, though we struggled in it because we could not keep up with the Tribeca in front of us.

Seriously. We had it floored and the Tribeca just kept pulling away. So if you want more power try an MDX maybe.

After that we went to the parking lot for some courses they had laid out.

First course I took was Tribeca vs. Murano in a moose avoidance style test. Hard left, then hard right at 25mph. I went in the Tribeca first and it was uneventful. Then the Murano, and boy, I hardly made it, with lots of tire squeel and much more body roll. I was surprised, I really thought the Murano would be sportier. Maybe they leave that up to the FX.

One of the drivers actually got the Murano up on 3 wheels, though they might have been going faster.

Next we tested the Tribeca against the Pilot in a ride control test, basically driving over sand bags on alternate sides. The NVH of the bump itself was similar, but the Pilot rebounded more, like there was an echo after you hit the bump.

Finally I drove the XC90 and Tribeca around a slow speed slalom, and this was a massacre. The Tribeca drove around nicely while the Volvo struggled, it was like wrestling an reluctant Elephant.

It's impressive that a spacious vehicle inside can drive like this, it will really give competitors a run for their money.

-juice
    We got absolute confirmation that premium fuel is recommended not required, and regular fuel is completely acceptable. This from the Product Planner for the Tribeca. It's his baby and he knows best.

Let's put that issue to bed, please.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice and I just got back from the B9 Tribeca at Valley Forge. We drove up last night, so that we would be ready at 9:00 am this morning. This event was limited to SOA employees from the Cherry Hill headquarters. Besides juice and myself, I think there was one other invited guest, but I'm not sure where he was from.

I have to say this morning got off to a rocky start, as I went to take a picture of juice in front of the hotel, only to find that my son had removed the memory card from my digital camera! Grrrrrr! So all photos will be coming from juice. I think he said he will be posting them up on image station.

Gosh, there must have been 20 or more Tribecas there, all different versions, some cloth, some leather, some with NAV, some with NAV/DVD, some with trunk covers and other options, and some without any of that stuff.

We spent 1.5 hours driving around the historic grounds of Valley Forge, over all sorts of roads ranging from the national park to back roads to highway. Each car had 3 – 4 people, and we rotated driving every few miles. We also rotated cars. In addition, there was a Pilot, Murano, and XC90 in the group so that we could get to sample some of the competition. In theory, this was a great plan. In reality I actually only got to drive once :( as they need way more time to do this properly. As it turned out, I only got to drive the Tribeca once, and didn't get to drive the competition at all on the open road drive.

So did I learn anything new about the Tribeca? A little, but it mostly confirmed some of my earlier suspicions. If you recall, I drove one last week for a short drive, so I had a pretty good inkling of what to expect.

First, the car handles extremely well; this is not a surprise as the boxer engine affords a low center of gravity, it has meaty 255/55x18 tires, and Subaru has historically put a great deal of emphasis on handling.

Second, it has a rev-happy engine that doesn't produce a great deal of torque down low. You could feel this with 4 passengers, and especially while going up hills. This results in a lot of downshifting when more power is demanded, and frankly that can be a bit annoying. I wasn't the only one who felt that way, as everyone in the car I was in also commented on that aspect; same at lunch, when I was with a group of other people. I'm hoping that Subaru will address this issue in the not too distant future, with either a larger more torque-friendly engine, a low-boost turbo, or something... When I was driving it, I kept it in the manual SportShift mode, and I had no problems. In fact, I found this to be the most enjoyable way of driving the Tribeca.

Third, the Tribeca is sprightly. It's not "FAST," but it definitely is not slow. I had mentioned to Dave Sullivan (the Tribeca Brand Manager) that I would love to see the 6-speed manual from the Legacy 3.0R Spec B made available. The answer I got back was not likely, as the market is too small for such a vehicle. I'm not so sure ... if it were "packaged/marketed" properly... Can you say: "B9 Tribeca 3.0R Spec B?"

Fourth, the more I learn about this vehicle, the more impressed I am. When it was first introduced I was concerned about it not being "outdoorsy," like the Outback and Forester. It definitely is a very nice "road" vehicle, and it should prove to be very useful. I never had any doubts about the styling direction, but I'm now coming slowly around to see what Subaru had in mind with is vehicle. As with all Subarus, you get a lot of content for what you pay. A lot of people were concerned that it was going to be overpriced, and not competitive in the marketplace. I don't think that will be the case at all. I would not be a bit surprised if Subaru has been a bit conservative with their first-year sales projections, which I think were around 17K.

Bob
    Thanks Juice for that head to head review! One of the salesman in our area (MD) who apparently went to the same road test said almost the same exact thing about the competition....very odd!! (are you a salesperson in MD? just kidding! :P)
    So what is your overall impression? Still loving it??
    What juice said. For the record: Subaru "requires" premium gas in turbos, but "recommends" premium in the H-6 models. Got that right from Dave Sullivan, the Tribeca Brand manager.

Bob
    Half of that is true, I am in MD! :)

Yes I am still loving it. Lemme get my finances in order first, though.

Bob and I drove in different groups, so our impressions vary slightly. Like I mentioned above we rode in a Pilot for one leg of the trip, and that vehicle struggled to keep up with the Tribecas.

The H6 is quiet and maybe it's just that you don't hear it kick in until higher rpms, but the Tribeca pulls away from the Pilot right off the line, from a dead stop. Both cars had 4 people in it, but the Tribeca is much ligher and they use a shorter final drive ratio than the H6 Outbacks so that seems to compensate enough that it was the quicker of the two.

Compared directly, Pilot is bigger, in fact it's the box that the Tribeca would come in. The NAV screen is tiny, though, and the 3rd row doesn't split fold. No SAC and you can't combine both DVD and NAV, so it has room for improvement.

Honda will surely address these issues with a soon-to-come redesign, so the question is how will the Tribeca compare against ever-improving competitors?

Right now my $30 grand would buy a Tribeca.

-juice
    • I loved the NAV! It's very easy to read at a glance. The only problem I had was I kept watching the NAV—and not watching the road. ;)

• The middle row seat has a 2-stage sliding feature. This so you don't accidentally crush the legs of 3rd-row passengers. Smart thinking!

• No one in my group ever considered sitting in the 3rd-row while doing the Ride-and-drive, not even to see what it would be like to ride back there. Hmmm...

• One more comment about the "rev-happy" 3.0 engine: I suspect that if the Tribeca had a larger (and more relaxed) 3.5 engine, that it would get as good if not better gas mileage than the smaller (and harder working) 3.0 engine.

• I did cross-compare the XC90 with the Tribeca in a slalom course. Verdict: The Volvo is a plodding tackle, and the Tribeca is a fleet-footed running back. This comparison test really pointed out just how cumbersome the Volvo is.

Bob
    guess who's now driving a "Black Beca?"

Well, Patti of course! Yep, Patti was there too, and it was great to see her again! As usual, she introduced us to some interesting Subie employess. Thanks again Patti! Love ya!

Bob
    • The flip-down, ceiling-mounted DVD does interfere somewhat with the rearview mirror. It limits your rear vision by perhaps 30% or more.

• The secondary gauges (fuel and temp) are a tad hard to read, as the steering wheel is borderline in the way.

• I mentioned with my first write up a few days ago that the gear indicator is sitting a bit low on the tach face, and sometimes gets obscured by the steering wheel.

These are not major issues, or concerns, but I hope Subaru does address them for the '07 model year.

Bob
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Similar request to cpp788x. My email address is shad0wlightus@yahoo.com (that is an zero in shadow, just in case it does not come across correctly).

Sent you the email.

Hmmm.. I'm thinking... I should get some kind of incentive or make some extra money on this huh? ;)
    1. Didn;t you find interior room not so good ? My current MPV is much better in space with the smaller exterior dimensions.

2. What do you think of the cargo space when seated seven There is space only for one stroller ? where is the space for the rest of items esp. when 7 people are travelling ?

these 2 are keeping me second guessing about Tribeca.