Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Looks like no one replied to you yet, so... TCC is "The Car Connection".

Excellent collection of B9 Tribeca links on your site, by the way. Here's another good link: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2006.html
    I plug this guy's site all the time 'cause he knows his Subaru stuff pretty well, obviously has tons of detailed info, and he's an outstanding no-pressure salesman.
  • papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    Everything was going along just fine.... I was out alone in the driveway, cold Moosehead in hand, admiring the glass-like shine of the fresh wax job on the black beauty, when out of nowhere comes my wife.... hands on hips.... with a look fifteen years of marriage has taught me means just one thing.... the week-long honeymoon between me and my Subie was over! So just as I had done a hundred times before, I begin gathering up my detailing kit and pretend that I am not nearly as interested in the SUV as she thinks I am. These awkward moments usually last 30 mins. or less in my house, so I begin the countdown in my head...... but she is staring me down, hard.... with the pain and heartache that only six years in a Ford Winstar can inflict. And then she drops the bomb: "I want the Tribeca!" My heart began to pound as if it intended to leap clear out of my chest. Sweat poured down my face, and my knees began to buckle. That was over two hours ago (I assume I simply passed-out!), and I am just coming in the house now. Tell me my friends.... what do I do now???? :D

Randy
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    put ur wife up for sale on ebay
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    This is just to freaky... I just brought home a limited 7 passenger/NAV/DVD today... My wife drives a 5 year old Winstar... she is telling me tonight that she LOVES the Tribeca and wants it! So Randy I feel your pain! Maybe we can put our wives on eBay together? :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey, guys, I think your wives beat you to it. I just saw ebay ads for the two of you! There are no bids yet, in case you're wondering. :)

tidester, host
    In the for what it's worth column... I've figured out that if you want the MP3 to be recognized so it will display the Artist - Album - Title you need to burn your disc as a DATA disc in the Joilet format. I have NAV and it is nice to have the folders and other info displayed, cool. Now if only the raido stations displayed song and station info... I find in this day not having that feature with the NAV system display for the raido to be dissapointing. I'm hoping somone will tell me I've missed something..

Oh and I've decided to keep my wife and let her use the Beca once in awhile.. :P
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    When I purchase the Tribeca I think I will be slightly ahead of your pace ... it will be my 4th in 10 years 2 Outbacks (one of which my daughter now drives) and a '02 Forester which I plan to trade. How much over invoice did you pay?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    This will be my 4th Subie in 13 years. I think we should win a prize from Subaru, or a discount, or SOMEthing!

BTW, mine was $750 over invoice, but I got every cent out of my trade-in (top KBB), which was an '05 OB wagon.

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Some FM stations do broadcast artist & title info. But apparently the Subie radio does not have the capability to decode & display the info.

I have the capability on my Q45 - and frankly it is not that important to me in a radio, because so few stations send the info.

I do appreciate your info about the MP3 encodeing, With a CD that is cool since you or a rider can preview what is on the disc and go to a cut without having to lessen to it to determine what it is. That is especially handy if you burn MP3 compilation discs.

Thanks for the info.
    Well ... I think I may get a good deal $150 over invoice PLUS replacement tires for life. Several local dealers (various makes) currently offer tire thing . Deal maker/breaker will be trade allowance for my '02 Forester ltd. S+. Kelly indicates about $13k.

Jerry
    When you say $150 over invoice - which invoice?

Where do live? I may want to contact that dealer.

However, I live by the old adage -If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. It sounded like it was possible until I read the tires for life. With other makes - it might be possible since like your Forrester you only had it for 3 years or less.

But from what have seen - most Subie onwners keep them a very long time and would consume many sets of tires.

Four tires comparable to those on a B9 retail for about $800 - even at dealer cost - they must pay at least $300 to $400 a set. No way they can do it. Better get that in clear written English.
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    Placed my order for a 7 pas ltd with NAV on Monday... still getting that the dealer is optomistic that I can take delivery by 7/15 for my vacation... and not getting any firm inbformation as to when i will even get firm information.

My vacation will include pulling a pop-up trailer, 2200 lbs. The dealer tells me there is no break-in period on the engine and that I can pull this trailer right away, with the factoruy installed hitch/tran cooler installed. Anyone seen anything different on the engine break-in period? Any comment on delivery/production?

Waiting in NH...
    Steve">
    Invoice = the price the dealers pays. This can be verified w/ Edmunds TMV,and dealers should provide same info. Keep in mind dealer gets holdback (2% I think) from Subaru a few months after the sale.

I have never paid more than $300 over with my 3 previous Subaru purchases. Now keep in mind unless I get full Kelley Book ( I am optomistic I will based on my past purchases with this dealer) the over doesn't mean much, I will get this finalized by Monday. Perhaps I am getting special price because of my purchase history ( family has also purchased with same sales person). I will ask if they will quote a similar deal for you once I get mine finalized.

With respect to tire deal this is legit as far as I can determine ... local competition, however I will review the fine print.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might want to find out which version of the book is being looked at - dealers will keep various books in various drawers and whip out the one that's most favorable to them at the time of sale, especially if you have a trade-in. Kelley for example, has a used version just for dealers.

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve, Host
    I contacted SOA regarding an estimated delivery date for my B9 ordered with the dealer on 5/19, Here is thier response:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your recent order for a B9 Tribeca. We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Subaru family! At this time, we are sorry that we not in a position to give you an approximate delivery date for your new Subaru. Your excitement is understandable!

The normal delivery time for a factory-ordered Subaru is anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. This 6 to 8 weeks is dependent upon when the customer orders the vehicle through an authorized Subaru dealer. Subaru dealers can only process 'sold order' requests, like your B9 Tribeca, within the first 10 days of the month. As your order was placed later in the month of May, your dealership would not have been able to order your B9 Tribeca from Subaru of America until the beginning of June. Therefore, the delivery of your B9 Tribeca would take approximately 8 weeks from the time the order is placed until it is delivered to your dealership.

At this early stage of the ordering, manufacturing and delivery process for your B9 Tribeca, a VIN is not yet available. Once a VIN is available for your B9 Tribeca, your dealer will have knowledge of it. They are in the best position to know their allocation schedules, too. Our Regional Representatives are in frequent communication with each dealership to ensure that each 'sold order' vehicle is delivered as soon as possible. With the Tribeca being a brand new model, the initial number of vehicles forecasted and produced might not be as significant as when there is a better understanding of the demands for this exciting model. Orders such as yours are helpful in determining the interests of our customers.

Again, Subaru of America is sincerely sorry that more information on your B9 Tribeca is not yet available. We understand your excitement about getting your new Subaru in preparation for a vacation! Please do not hesitate to contact your dealer or us again to check on any updated information on your B9 Tribeca order.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.

Maybe the they have a unit fitting yuor needs in a pending order that is already in process.

Hope this helps.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Jerry - you do have me beat, but only because I kept my first one seven years. It was still going strong, but I was ready for a change.

I am lucky enough to work for a company that supplies parts to Subaru, so I get to participate in their VIP pricing program. This isn't quite the same as an employee discount, but it's pretty good. I didn't think they'd include the Tribeca in this program right away, but they did.

I did visit various area dealers over the past two weeks and looked at the models they had in stock, but I never brought up pricing. Nevertheless, one salesman volunteered that they might be willing to let me have the one I was looking at for MSRP, even though other dealers were adding as much as $1,000 to the sticker and still selling them as fast as they came in. I told him I would just wait awhile until they were ready to deal. I'd be very surprised if he was telling me the truth. I think he was just trying to up his commission.

Anyway, we just got back home with our new car - Champagne Gold. It wasn't my first choice of color, but I really like it now that I've got it. Besides, when I put it in the garage next to my black F150, I've got the Steelers colors going on. I am even more impressed with this car than I thought I would be. The power blows away the 2003 L. L. Bean I traded in. It had the 212 HP H6. Creature comforts, performance and styling are all top notch. This may be another seven-year Subaru.
    Champagne Gold ... that is the color we are considering, lets see next to my Maroon Saab I could become a Redskins fan I suppose, but then I would have to remove my Patroits bumper sticker . Oh well we haven't made a deal yet but I am off to see about it right now. Good luck with the new Subaru, it sounds great!

Jerry
  • papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    My wife and I loaded up our daughter and the triplet boys for a day-long adventure in the Tribeca today, and we had the time of our lives. The children were blown away with the quality of the DVD screen, and the wireless headphones. Entry and exit into the third row was a snap (our nine-year-old daughter set the boys up routinely), and the ride was incredible. We spent much of the day trying to decide if there was anything else that my wife could be happy in that was larger than the Tribeca, but even the local Lexus dealer could not get us to bite on the GX 470 or the LX 470. Both felt far too boxy after sprinting around in the luxury of the Subaru. The B9 just has an inviting feel to it, and the total package spoils you quickly! We have decided to order another 7-passenger loaded Tribeca right away. I truly believe the rumors that the price will increase by as much $10,000 in the 2007 model year, so we want to get into another one as quickly as possible. As an aside, for those of you who have not seen the vehicle at night with the puddle lamps, brace yourselves.... the look is dramatic!

Randy
  • djc1djc1 Member Posts: 13
    I am going to order a New Tribeca on Monday. Has anyone been able to purchase at or near invoice price? I am going to offer $300. over invoice for a 5 pass. LTD. and try my best to get a deal. I have never paid much over invoice for a Subaru. What are some of the deals coming in at?
    Just closed the deal for 5 pass. Ltd for $150 over invoice, plus received full Kelley (and TMV) trade allow for my '02 Forester. Expect delivery in about 4 weeks. E mail me if you want info. regarding Western Mass. dealer contact.

Jerry
    I think I have you guys covered... 6th Subaru in 19 years... I remember when they were known for bad brakes and exhaust. Still driving my 96 OB (original model year) with 215K miles on it. I call it the little car that could Replacing a 2002 Jeep GC Ltd :lemon: with a B9. I refuse to call it a Tri...what-ever, it's B9.

Steve in NH, waiting on delivery of my new B9 with Nav :)
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    where r u ? if you are in NE, best bet is Premier subaru in Conn or Singer Subaru in NH
    They would have to sell below invoice ( plus give TMV for trade) to make it worth my while ... doesn't seem likely at this point in the model year ...
    Steve, I hate to spoil your vacation, but that doesn't sound accurate. The owner's manual clearly states (section 8-17): "Under no circumstances should a trailer be towed with a new vehicle or vehicle with any new powertrain component...for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of driving." The "New vehicle break-in" section (8-2) also says for the first 1000 miles NOT to race the engine, NOT to exceed 4000 rpm (except in emergencies), NOT to drive at constant speeds NOR brake hard. All of these will no doubt be factors with pulling a trailer.

That's just irresponsible of your dealer to tell you this. Go back and ask them to show you an owner's manual and point it out to them.

Karen:

Thanks for the info. I did question them specifically again on this and was told no problem again. I suspect that they will not even have it delivered by the time I leave for my trip. After reading one of the other replies to my post, I guess they do not have any info since my order was placed after the 10th of the month. I am not getting straight answers from this dealer and may in fact cancel the order and buy from another dealer. Thanks for the quote from the manual.

Steve
    On Saturday my family (mom, dad, and 95-yr-old grandma) and I took an all-day road trip to northern Arizona. It was a fabulous ride that included mostly interstate driving but several side trips through parts of Flagstaff and the surrounding areas. We drove up through the Coconino Nat'l Forest to see some of the lakes (most of which haven't had much water in the past six years or so until this spring), and then took off on a couple of graded frorest service dirt roads (12 miles) cutting back over to the freeway. The FS road was very tolerable by all of us, and the scenery was breathtaking (green pastures, wildflowers, mountains, deer, elk, and a golden eagle) and worth every little bump and rut (which we barely noticed). The rear AC in the 7-pass is worth its weight in gold! All in all, with the extreme elevations changes from Phoenix to Flagstaff (1200 ft vs. 6800ft ), we averaged 21.0 mpg on the 320-mile trip. Not bad on a new, unbroken-in engine with a variety of driving conditions. Now, off to the car wash :-)

• mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Karen - That sounds like a great trip! I was in Phoenix about 20 years ago on business and managed to take a car trip to Flagstaff by way of the Sedona Red Rock area. The scenery is just magnificent out there. I envy you!
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Here on long Island, its only a couple hundred dollars off retail. Never had a Subaru before. Seems they have a lot of satisfied customers. Never had any problems? Here on long island, I'm looking for a reliable car, especially in the snow. Was looking at 4runners and pathfinders and freestyles and tributes, and cherokees, but all seem to have a lot of unhappy people. Hope I can make a wise decision.
    Well I figured out how to use my Ipod with the stereo system in the car. It appears that when you get the DVD system you also get a rear (behind the second row on the driver side) auxilary port which is a standard RCA type connection. For $29.00 you can purchase a monster cable 7 feel long that plugs into that jack and then into the Ipod. I've run the cable under the second row seat and will now snake it to where I can bring it into the center console. I've got the belkin charger adapter plugged into the center console and that cable comes out of that box and sits where the cup holders are. It makes for a very tidy neat look where you can actually leave the ipod in the center storage if you want and no one will even see the hook up! You simply push the aux button and away you go! I did notice that you do get more volume if you go though the belkin (or monster) adapter/charger versus direct connection to the Ipod.... Now if only I could control the ipod from the steering wheel!! Oh well can't have everthing... All said I am jazzed that I can now have 40 gig of tunes at my finger tips! Sure beats scanning through MP3 disc trying to find what you want!

I can post pictures after I get it all final if anyone would like.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I drove one yesterday and coming from a 2002 LL Bean, they have come a long way. There is a lot of useable space and more room up front. Visibility is not as good as I would like but this is a solid ride.
    I would like to see the pictures and the model numbers of the cable and power adaptor. I do not have a iPod but a 20GB Rio Kharma. Do you have to get the DVD to get the extra AUX port?

Still waiting on my B9. :cry:

Steve
    I would like to know if the wiring harness might be in place on a non-DVD system (or at least access to it). I, too , have the 40 GB iPod, but cuurently have a DLO FM transmitter, adapter and charger that barely fit in the cup holder portion of the console. I can actually close the cover (barely) but would rather have a direct hook up for better sound quality.

FWIW, the sound quality in the Tribeca is MUCH better than in the "old" 05 OB, and is especially noticably with the iPod. I'm not sure if it's better FM reception, the better sound system, or a combination of both (probably the latter).

I have noticed the visibility issue, too. I wish Subaru had lowered or expanded the bottom portion of the back window by an inch or two, and I would feel much safer backing up. Better yet, add a backup camera or sensor as an option! Are there any such aftermarket gadgets?

If you look at the Subaru Site it specifically says "Wireless remote and auxiliary input for game console or portable MP3 player" for vehicles with DVD option. It is simply a standard RCA (yellow, Red, White) connection next to a power outlet just behind the second row driver side. You might ask your service folk if it is there in the NON DVD vehicle. I'm thinking you need the stereo with the RSE/AUX button as that is what switcheds between the RSE (Rear seat entertainment IE: DVD) and the AUX outlet.

I am tickled with the sound quality in my B9 with this arangement. I am also happy not to have to use the FM transmitter as I never liked it for the mess and quality. Direct connection to the RCA jack is wonderful! :)
    Steve,

When I get a small extension for the Monster cable I'm using tomorrow so I can make everything work neatly I'll note everthing I've used and take some digital images of the set up. I'm sure any MP3 will work fine as long as you can connect a standard mini stereo 1/8 male connector into it.
  • djc1djc1 Member Posts: 13
    Jerry
    I am in South Carolina but would take a trip up north to pick up a great deal on a Tribeca. Have you any info on Primier Subaru? What kind of price are they looking for on a Tribeca? Are they a good dealership to buy from?

Dennis
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I was very impressed with my test drive of the Tribeca but there were two things that seemed unusual. First, no matter which model you choose, if you prefer leather, you must order the dark gray to get perforated leather. The beige leather does not have perforations. I went to the brochure to verify this and, sure enough, the leather samples in the brochure show perforated gray and solid beige.
    The other item that really surprised me was that the cargo cover is nothing more than a loose piece of vinyl that has to be attached at four corners. Not an easy installation. The vinyl is not attached to a spring roller or anything that makes it seem like a deluxe installation. So, you must deal with having to store a large piece of vinyl (leather?) when you are not using it. Surely this will be corrected in a later model. How does Subaru deal with cargo covers in Outbacks and Foresters?
    Dennis

I don't know anything about Primier, but I am very pleased with the deal I got in Western Massachusetts. Dealer will quote over net.or phone. Key of course is trade allowance, if you don't have one that makes situation perfectly clear. If you would like contact info. send me an e-mail ... I'll send it back.
    Enjoyed SC this spring, in fact bid on house in Sun City, love your taxes vs Mass.

Jerry
    My friends Outback has a more traditional spring loaded device that is very nice. No doubt this is a very poor design and one of the few serious mistakes I feel they made with this vehicle. That said I still LOVE my B9.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    singer subaru in NH was giving me at 500 over invoice. Premier in CT, see their website.

you can try fitzmall.com at fixed prices.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I thought most SUVs didn't need them since they sit higher and have dark tinted windows.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Karen,

I agree on the back up system. Check the forum discussion "Reverse Warning Systems" here on Edmunds. (Sorry - don't know how to link it.) There are a lot out there, it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Nice to hear about your road trip. Any problems on the dirt roads?

Mark
  • dbjonesdbjones Member Posts: 5
    Well after 2 months of hard core research, driving the following, Explorer Limited V8, Freestyle Limited AWD, Jeep GC Hemi, Pathfinder LE, Murano, 4Runner, Sienna, Highlander, Pilot, Odyssey, Volvo V50 T9, Volvo XC90... I am probably missing some... we just picked up our B9 this weekend.

It was close between the B9 and the V50, but in the end it was obvious which was a better car for us. (We need room, and love Subaru's)

Black w/DVD, 7 seater, w/leather.

We got it for $400 over invoice with out much haggling from Albany Subaru in Albany California (Albany is next to Berkeley geographically)

In my neck of the woods it is a good time to get one, Albany has 6 on lot, Oakland 7, and Marin about 6. With the reviews about to come out sales may pick up and the *real* price may get back to MSRP. I think that once people start seeing these they are going to get way popular. Many of my buddies when they saw the car in person were blown away. They look very cool in real life, have fit and finish equal to Volvo/BMW/Audi (the kings of FF IMHO) and drive amazingly well.

The one thing I wish mine had come with was NAVI, but we really wanted the Black, and none of the above mentioned dealers had black w/dvd/navi and I could not stand ordering and waiting and figure after market NAVI will just get better. (e.g. Garmin c330, TomTom 700, etc) BTW, I have to ding Subaru here, from the demo I got their NAVI is not on par with the majority of the NAVI system in the cars mentioned above. (The king is the Honda Odyssey, it is off the hook in features, look, image quality of the maps, and the rear camera is very sweet)

So far I am COMPLETELY satisfied, but there is a flaw with the car IMHO. Visibly when reversing is not optimal, we knew this going in, and for us it is fine, but anyone looking at this car should do some backing up to make sure they are comfortable with this. I am sure Subaru will introduce rear sensors, and a reverse camera for future versions.

Oh and this is our fourth Subaru, our first one was a 1986 GL Hatchback (I think that was it), our last one was a 1994 Impreza Wagon that we still have w/190,000 mile, no problems with it at all, and it still drives fine.
    I was very disappointed with the cargo cover, too...I even told the salesman it was a piece of junk (he agreed :-). Hopefully they can come up with a better system, as I do place valuables back there frequently, and I expect a more secure and stylish fit for this $$.

No problems at all...unless you count the dirt on the back window, which does get covered up and limits rear visibility...but who cares where you've been! We weren't on a very rugged road, but still AWD eats it up. I've had two of my last three Subies on that same forest service road (and many, many other roads), and it's just too much fun!

• tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    I'm so envious of you who already own a Tribeca!!! ;) Anyway, will they really raise the price of them that much ($10,000) as one poster thinks? I mean I guess it depends on what, if any, features they add, but I hope it doesn't end up costing as much as a Lexus! Good Lord! I want one in the worst way but need to pay down my husband's truck a little more. Planning on getting one next year. Maybe I could get a demo or something used but I'm sort of doubting it. What do you think?
    Thanks
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    The dark tinted windows on the two sets of back windows are a real help in disguising what is inside but if you put your face very close to the windows it is still possible to see the interior so the cargo cover is definitely useful. Is there any possibility that Subaru will come up with a better cargo cover system before next year's model that can be installed by dealers?
    Subaru's pricing structures have been pretty consistent in the past, and generally I have only seen minor adjustments from year to year (sometimes none at all). I think this may simply be a rumor that's already out of control (IMHO).

-Karen in AZ-
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats to the flood of new owners joining this thread, to mikejl, photoguy2, and dbjones specifically. Did I miss anyone else?

Mods - if you do any custom work, please take PHOTOS, I will host and post them for you. Info sharing like this is extremely useful and the whole purpose of a Forum like this.

So snap a pic of that iPod mount/wiring and I'll post it for you, OK?

bigelm: sorry to see the dealer dropped the ball, can't say I blame you for souring the deal.

Keep something in mind, though, if you buy something else, he didn't really lose a sale. If you buy a Tribeca from ANOTHER dealer, he did.

I say go buy one and drive it over there to show them, here's your shiny new Tribeca that a different dealer sold to you (at a higher price - lie even if it's not!) since they were just not interested in making profits off your business.

LOL - that would be the ultimate revenge.

-juice
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks, Karen. I didn't think that sounded like something Subaru would do but not being familiar wasn't sure.

I hope they add some of the items people want as optional equipment or keep the price down close to where it is somehow. I think the camera or backup sensor would be a nice feature to have on this particular vehicle but everyone might not want it for the money it would cost. That's about the only thing it doesn't have that maybe would be nice to have IMHO except a keypad entry which would detract from the appearance maybe.

Some of the creature comforts people want are not all that practical and I believe that's a quality of Subarus in general. Well, anyway congratulations on your brand new Tribeca!