Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    FYI - I'm not ricochet. I'm just posting what I saw at b9xclub.

Sorry for the confusion.

DaveM
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    B9 Tribeca, wow. They even dropped the X.

Good news about the 2nd row seats sliding. I still hope they fold flat. I don't like the ones that tumble.

$37k could kill it, I agree there, but I doubt that'll be the price. If it is, I hope they come out with a Sport model later, for less.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Just got back from the DC car show and I ran into the Subie rep Omar, who some of us met at Philly at the WRX intro, and the following year again at the NY show. After exchanging some "How ya doings," we started talking about the Tribeca, and he showed me a preliminary spec sheet on the car.

Sorry, no pics, but here is some hard info:

• 108" wheelbase.

• Curb weight between 4250 and 4350, IIRC, depending on trim packages.

• Same H6 specs as found on Outback.

• 2000 towing standard, but optional tow package raises that to 3500. Still not good if the BMW X5 was used as the benchmark (all X5s are rated at 5000).

• 255/55x18 tires standard (same as X5).

•18x8 rims standard.

• 189" length (I think, but am not sure)

Trim levels:

5 passenger base (bottom)

7 passenger base

7 passenger premium

7 passenger Nav

7 passenger DVD

7 passenger Nav/DVD (top)

There may be an additional 7-passenger model, but I don't remember

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Power-to-weight might be a sore spot. That's a little heavier than we thought, and no more powerful.

Wheelbase is about average for the class, right? Still, aren't some around 112"? They went kinda small.

-juice
    that next year when the optional engine (turbo?) shows up, the tow rating will be raised. I'm really disappointed in that tow rating. It matches the Highlander and Murano; heck even the Pilot/MDX are better at 4500 max.

Curb weight is actually lighter than I expected. Wheelbase is very close to the Pilot/MDX. Also width is almost 74".

Oh! I forgot this: 20/29 gas mileage!

Bob
    Trim levels:

5 passenger base (bottom)

7 passenger base

7 passenger base DVD

7 passenger premium

7 passenger Nav

7 passenger DVD

7 passenger Nav/DVD (top)

I think this may be more correct. I seem to recall 6 levels for the 7-passenger model.

Bob
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    20/29 gas mileage? No way.
    Took me by surprise too, but that's what it said.

Bob
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    hybrid?
    No, not this year.

Bob
    I thought I had seen that mentioned, but that weight and that engine just don't add up to those mileage numbers no matter what they've done with regards to AVCS etc.

Jim
    I agree. It's a mystery for sure. Maybe H6 Outbacks have also gotten a mpg boost for '06?

Bob
    But they weigh a thousand pounds less. Mystery for sure if those numbers were right.

Jim
    lists the LL Bean H6 at 3600 pounds, so the difference is closer to 600 – 700 pounds. Still, it "is" quite a bit heavier, for sure.

Bob
    Towing:

Subaru has been targeting the European carmakers, such as BMW and Volvo. Both the X5 and XC90 are rated at 5000 pounds for towing. Regardless of how the tow ratings are achieved, what is "advertised" is what counts, and here the B9 Tribeca falls short.

I find it unbelievable that the "standard" tow rating on the B9 (2000) is less than any Outback (2700 H4/3000 H6) or Forester (2400). I think this will be a huge marketing mistake if this proves to be true. Yes, the Tribeca can tow a maximum of 3500, but only with the optional tow package. I was hoping for a standard 3500 tow rating, with 5000 being available as an option.

As I and others have said many times, the Tribeca is the last to the party, and it had better be best dressed. To me this is Subaru's equivalent to a "wardrobe malfunction."

Bob
    Another question that I tried posting last night, but Edmunds was 'temporarily unavailable' when I clicked 'post my message'....

If you take the official Subaru rendering of the B9 as pretty much correct, why does it have an air intake back by the tail lights? To cool batteries or electric motors? Random observations.

I agree with all your observations above, Bob. It's nothing more than a tall Outback from what I've seen so far.

Jim

Jim
    I wouldn't take that rendering to be correct. Yes, it gives you a sense about what the vehicle will look like—but that's all.

Bob
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    At that price they are heading for almost certain failure. I would not buy a Subaru at that price unless there was a significant up-tick in quality, comfort and refinement. 37K puts this car firmly into MDX and RX-330 territory. Both are very well built, very luxurious, and have great V6 engines.

Also, this car will be a dog with the H6, and that towing capacity is ridiculous. Those mileage figures are hard to believe: I can't even do that in my OBXT.

They are going to get killed in the marketplace. Given that Subaru must be investing huge amounts of money into this car, this doesn't bode well for them.
    I knew more about those mileage ratings. I too did a double-take when I saw them, but that's what was printed on that sheet.

As to towing, I started to get a bad feeling about this a few months back when that spy photo showed a small Class II hitch receiver. After seeing that I was hoping for an Explorer-like situation, whereas the base model comes standard with a Class II receiver, but a larger Class III receiver is available as part of the optional tow package; but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Hopefully all the negative speculation is wrong and Subaru drops a surprise or two on us in 2 weeks. Yup, only 2 more weeks. :-)

DaveM
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101493

that's quite a shnozola. I dunno about that.
    :-D by 60 seconds, no less.

I hate the new front end.
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I see a lot of Toyota Sienna in the front of the Tribeca...the shape of the headlights and the narrow bulge in the center of the hood in particular. It'll be interesting to see this one in person as I suspect the pics just don't do it justice (I hope).

Brian
    I hate the new front end.

I love the new front end.

So the legacy of thought-provoking styling lives on at Subaru... :)

Bob
    this whole corporate nose thing is going too far. Audi has been hit with the ugly stick, and now Subaru. Too much chrome too. Oh well. It's what Americans want these days, look at all the massively unatractive H2s, Titans, and the poor poor 4Runner..my god, what did Toyota do to it?
    I'll probably buy it anyway, IF it comes as a hybrid. I figure 3-4 years is when we'll need one.
    Loosh, this new front is not exactly a surprise. I bet when you see it in person, your feelings will change—hopefully for the better. :)

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Lots of Sienna in the headlights.

Plenty of X3/X5/RX/Murano in the profile - but then again how many shapes can there be?

The wings on the nose are very reminiscent of the old Saab logo - they push the aircraft heritage as well.

It's not ugly - it'll grow on folks I think.
    It's not ugly - it'll grow on folks I think.

I have no doubt about that.

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    imo. I like visibility over style any day. In fact I prefer the older generation Forester because of it.

John
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    good news. It is "good" but I don't think it is unrealistic. We just returned from a 340 mile trip in our '02 Mazda MPV, which has a 3.0 V6. In the rain, 3 adults and two kids, we had 27.2 mpg averaging 70 mph.

It seems that lots of minivans are doing upper 20's these days. 29 is really good for a car of this weight, size, and AWD, but not out of the ballpark.

Look at how Subaru has crept up the mpg on the Forester, from mid 20's to upper 20's, and now at 30 mpg.

I would think that the H6 Outback will come in with about 30 mpg on the next revision, using the same technology in the B9.

John
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Those horizontal chrome lines at the center remind me of Kia Sedona. Yikes.
    I think the nose is absolutely gross. The rest of it is fine but doesn't stand out in any way.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    While I understand Subaru wanting to establish a corporate identity, (I thought they already had one) but I question the wisdom of making a complete break with what you have already been doing with a fair amount of success. Besides the nose (which seems odd for the sake of being odd), the B9 might be from any Japanese automaker. There is nothing about this vehicle that tells me it is a Subaru. If anything, I would have much preferred Subaru stick to its utilitarian roots by building a bigger Forester. You got to love a box that goes like stink.

I think Subaru is rolling the dice big time and taking a dive into the unknown. Unfortunately, the competition has gotten really good and I am not sure the B9 is bringing to the market what it takes to really play in the premium class. I know the B9 will be good, but its going to have to be great to make inroads against Honda / Acura and Toyota / Lexus. I know I sound negative and I hope I am proved wrong, because I was really growing to like Subaru as a brand.
    nabisco from a Subie dealer who has seen the car:

All i can say is...the marketing director of the B9 Tribeca was here yesterday...that said...I can tell you...this pic is showing a disguised front end...the fact that it has "B9X" on the back instead of "B9 Tribeca" should have been a dead give away that these pic sare both not current and not production.

Even if this is true, I wouldn't expect much change. perhaps a different grille insert?

Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Gee, I am not impressed with the styling at all -- what exactly were they hiding in the earlier spy shots with a heavily camoflaged car??? Aside from the nose, the styling is very bland and generic.

The front end troubles me a lot. I can't believe that is the best they came up with. I do like the idea and theme of the airplane fuselage/wings, and many of the concept sketches pull it off quite well. The implementation on the Tribeca is just not good. The wings look OK, but the fuselage portion is too prominent and sticks out too much. It totally dominates the look of the car, unfortunately.

I smell Aztek all over again...

Craig
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    We should be skeptical about that nabisco post. Why would they be filming a commercial with a disguised front end???

Craig
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    While over at nabisco, I found this link to another sketch from November: http://www.freebmw.net/achilles/B11I/B9x_R1.jpg

That sketch looks very near to identical to the recent spy pics. I don't find the drawing version that bad. Perhaps it's just the light color (sand metallic?) in the spy pic?

Maybe someone can photochop a darker color like metallic blue or grey or black

-Brian
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I've done just some quickie Photoshop work to make blue, red and black versions, but have nowhere to post them! Suggestions?
    oh... and also made one that I think is close to my favorite Subaru color... Atlantic Blue Pearl.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Here's a free hosting site for photos: http://www.imageshack.us/

They even generate the code needed to include a clickable thumbnail in your post.

-Brian
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    sad....sad......sad...........saab! (maybe there's hope!)
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Okay so the front may be a forgetable face . . . How about the steering wheel - any word on whether it telescopes or not?

(I feel like a one issue car buyer here!)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    'Okay so the front may be a forgetable face'

god i wish i could forget this face, i had nightmares about it.
    OK... here's the Tribeca in other colors (looks better than in the metallic sand color, I think):

Thanks to http://www.imageshack.us for Free Image Hosting and thanks to Brian for recommending them.

Please note my monitor is calibrated for CMYK printing, so the colors you see are probably a little off from what I intended. I've also assumed the grill inserts are chrome, not body color, but it was hard to tell from the original Autoweek photo.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I sort of like it in the red or the black ... but I have to agree that it has a weird 'look' to it ...
    to tweak this front, and get an amazing improvement. This image is from a nabisco guy playing around in Photoshop. The headlights are different, and the grille has been reduced in size, as well as adding a black mesh grille insert.

http://members.shaw.ca/anon123/tribecachop.jpg

Bob
    I wonder how they fit the H6 in that stubby nose. The engine compartment must protrude into the passenger compartment...