Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for unlurking Newto. My personal preference would be to avoid the interstate altogether, but every time I head down your way, I see a big ol' lake and mountains, and not much choice in roads going north/south.

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Already? Sounds like fun. Nav should let you relax a bit more and enjoy the sites.

At this point I've seen about 3 Tribecas on the road that were not company/program cars, so they're out there now.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    B-9 TRIBECA M.S.R.P $30,040- Sign and Drive $387- * 48

OUTBACK WAGON 2.5i M.S.R.P $25,375- Sign and Drive $277- * 48.

FORESTER 2.5 X M.S.R.P$23,058- Sign and Drive $287- * 48.

LEGACY SEDAN 2.5i M.S.R.P $22,470- Sign and Drive $287- * 48.

IMPREZA 2.5RS SEDAN M.S.R.P $19,095- Sign and Drive $227- * 48.

Please note that the prices mentioned above include all rebates and the monthly payments are based on a Subaru Financial option buy with $0- Down payment $0 Security and $0 first payment. Taxes and tags are not included.
    Good deal on that Outback, looks like they are gambling on high residuals.

-juice
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    Beautiful vehicle, Karen. Love the color! I'm seamist green with envy!!

I spotted a satin white pearl Tribeca yesterday on my way home from work and it is just gorgeous on the road! I didn't think I would like the light colors on this vehicle but I really do. It didn't have temp tags so the woman driving it must've had it for at least a month, but it's the first I've seen on the road in Florence, Kentucky.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I don't like soup... :) Too hot for soup... :)
  • grdh20grdh20 Member Posts: 46
    Just wondering if anyone's pre-order LL Bean gift has come yet?
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    CAUTION !!!! The dealer instructed us a few weeks ago when we picked up the car to put the headphones in the middle compartment in the car which my wife dutifully did. Problem is that it is such a tight fit that the door jams when opening and has torn two of the foam headphone covers. Clearly not a cost disaster but annoying as was the dealer response which was to "wait for a call from the parts department". Seem's like this is a problem which Subaru could not have forseen but should do something about.

Since we payed $1000 over dealer invoice (and most folks here have payed only $500 or less) and not happy about this.
    :P then no soup for you
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Thx for all the great tips! much appreciated!

-Karen in AZ-
  • krusty_krusty_ Member Posts: 11
    After reading some 3000 posts i can see the tone has changed dramaticly from the Autoshow Premier back in Jan to the end of May when the TriB hit dealers, to today.
    Its nice to see all the happy owners posting their comments. We have been trying to sell Our 2003 Honda Pilot to get a TriB. Not too much interest in the pilot so we are still waiting. We do not want to give it Carmax and take a hit, If i can sell it myself i get the Nav... So i have a vested interest in selling private. If all else fails i have a Garmin 2910, but from the looks of the TriB there is not a good place to mount it... Anyone have an idea on this?

Questions:
    We are in Northern Ca and from i see the sales have been slow. The same 9 are at my local dealer that were Delivered at the end of May, Now mind you this is a Small town dealer - but its in a Mountain area- Would this be a concern, ?

I see people saying they are waiting weeks and weeks to get theirs, yet here they seem to be sitting on the lots.. Where is the Add campain?

Any incentives in the near future? We get VIP through my work but every little helps.

Nav...I hear its outdated... any idea when the updates are coming? and at what cost. To buy a product that is 3 years old for 2K and then have to update it at a cost seems silly. We are in a new area that has been built up over the past 3-5 years- all new roads are on the garmin, i would hope on the Trib as well.

2006.5 and on.....

Any chance to get HID, Memory Seats..? would love to see these as well as a Grill upgrade, i do agree that in person its much better then the pics suggest. Still needs some tweaks, I would go full black out honey comb like on the WRX, on the center. with the "wings" having a thin chrome strip in the middle with the honey mesh behind..No Chome on the surrounds,. thats my 2 cents.
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    FLORENCE Y'ALL!!! (written in huge letters on water tower right off I-75 in Florence - not making fun of southerners').

I am right up the road south of Dayton here - haven't seen one Tribeca on the road except mine. Of course this is big GM country here and everyone is tripping all over themselves to buy while the employee discount is still going on.
  • shane850shane850 Member Posts: 36
    I also put the headphones there and had problems with them. It is not a Subaru problem, more of a dealer problem as the owner's manual tells you to put one in the pocket of each of the rear doors. They fit good but the problem is if you want to use the drink holder in the door you have to move the headphones. I guess the dealers are not educated yet on everything, which is understandable.

It seems the drawer was designed for the DVD's or CD's as they fit great there.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    so you decide who gets soup and who doesn't?

soup [non-permissible content removed] !!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try some cold soup - great for the summer! :)

tidester, host
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    AKA ... vichyssoise , at least in the East! :)
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "Most folks have paid $500 or less over invoice"? I doubt that. I came armed with invoice price on the car and all options and on a 7 passenger limited with leather with dvd and nav and puddle lights and some other options, MSRP amounted to a little over 3,000 more then invoice. I got a 1000 discount due to some delay and missing options on my original pre-order that they said noone else has gotten. I was dealing with the owner's son of the dealership so I don't think he'd lie and guess I believe him when he said we can't do any better on the price. I was disappointed but then he calculated it out that I was really only paying 1500 above invoice. I did get $500 more for my trade in to a friend with dealership then they were going to give me but that was no thanks to the Subaru dealership of course.

I would have been stubborn and walked out on the deal but the guy I was working with was very helpful and nice all along the way doing everything he could to get the exact vehicle I wanted with the right options and ultimately had to get it from a dealership 2 hrs away. Interesting story on that was that that dealership tried to get me to drive up to them to get the B9 and when the guy i was working with at my local dealership called them they told him it was sold and would not cooperate on doing a dealer trade. I actually had to call that dealership and tell them it was not good for their reputation to other dealers nor customers and that it was not right to make me drive all the way up there just so they could get the sale which they even admitted was why at one point. After I talked to a manager they agreed to cooperate and trade it to my local dealer.

So after all that I guess I couldn't walk out on the deal after all the trouble I and the dealer went through. I might not have found the exact car with options I was looking for (mostly the nav and puddle lights as the rest are dealer installable) for some time and possible that even then I might not do as good as the $1000 off MSRP. I imagine if you are super patient and wait a long time and shop around many dealerships you could find one that will sell you one for as low as $400 over invoice as one poster said was the deal he got but I question if he is telling the truth or if it was like his friends dealership or something. I dont think anyone has been getting anything off MSRP for the most part and definitely not as low as $400 over invoice.

Also, I originally didn't want DVD, figuring I wont use it on a regular basis when driving to work etc. obviously as you are in the front seat but this was the closest I could find to having everything I wanted believe it or not at the time and it just had one option I didn't need in the DVD. So, basically this was also an excuse for me to get the dvd which I now love and am glad I did especially with the audio inputs for mp3 player and the pleasant surprise of dvd playing on the nav screen when in park. With these features and others the car has been great for tailgating especially concerts. If I had walked out on the deal and started over I might not have gotten the dvd. Besides you figure I got it for 800 instead of 1800 if you count my discount and I just wanted to justify the DVD option especially to my dad who thought I was crazy and didn't need it by covering it with even just another 800 off let alone the 2000 more to invoice but no go.

The most he would do was thrown in 2 other options for free which amount to $100 msrp and $64 or something invoice so we'll see what else he can do as I am a little disappointed on price still and looking to just see some effort on their part even on the little things.

In fact, they better come through on my pre-order gift of the portable XM sat radio. He said he would look into it and I feel strongly that I should not miss out on that just because my original pre-ordered vehicle didn't come with the options I ordered. Also, especially since the Tribeca doesn't have a sat radio option of its own which was a major disappointment. I hope to try out the portable which can be used in the car to see if that would be sufficient for now and the dealer said you can have sirius or xm installed but I imagine that is an expensive "aftermarket" endeavor and would do away with the current system and mess up the look of the dash etc.

Speaking of options: Does anyone have the moonroof air deflector or splash guards which are listed in the brochure as delayed availability. Neither are listed on the website under options when you build a vehicle last I checked and I am interested in getting both.

Also listed in the brochure under options also is 'Subwoofer/Amplifier'. Is this something you can get in addition to the 160 watt premium sound system with 6 disc in dash you get with the Limited which already supposedly has a subwoofer. Or is that just an available option for vehicles with the lower sound system that just want to add the subwoofer/amplifier that the limited has?

Because i have the premium sound system of the limited and while sufficient so far in car, it wasn't quite loud enough even at max when tailgating and playing through an mp3 player also at max volume. It is significantly lower volume going through an mp3 player then radio or CD, but i have a decent quality Y cable connecting form the audio inputs in the rear of the car to the line out of the mp3 player and can't imagine a better connection. is there any way to get better volume out of it?
    Ahhh what a terrific idea! I love a good Hearty Gazpacho.... mmmmm I may have to make some tonight! Thanks for the idea.
    I think Subaru is a very regional brand. I've seen a few here in Eastern PA. I'd not worry to much about sales in your area.

Nav - it is outdated but works well. I too am concerned about the cost to upgrade. I would encourage you to negotiate that into your deal. Say the first two or three upgrades at no charge or something like that. I too wanted to get a Garmin or the likes but settled on the factory NAV because of the mounting issue. Glad I did. It is much cleaner looking which is worth something.

Interesting ideas for the grill but it has grown in me and I kind of like it now.

Not stop thinking and go get one for yourself and be the first to drive one in your area. You will surly get some stares!
    There are some great recipies there! Thanks for the link. I've printed out two Gazpacoh recipies to try! UMMMMM :P
    Thanks Photoguy... We have 2 calls on the Pilot today, i lowered the price on Autotrader , so crossing fingers. Funny people dont call even if they think the price is high. i guess folks never heard of negotiation ..

My wife is chewing at the bit to get the Sub, we still miss our 98 Outback we gave up for the bigger SUV with 2 kids.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    check out cars.com
    it is better than autotrader these days
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Fitzmall is doing from $300 under invoice to $700 over invoice on Tribecas depending on the model, options, and how long it's been on their lot. I bet in another month, they will be down to invoice and lower.

CRaig
    The GM thing is surely getting a lot of the bargain hunters, so price pressures on Subaru are pretty severe.

Acura timed the MDX a lot better, they got MSRP for a very long time. Not any more, though, the market is just too competitive.

-juice
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I am paying $150 over invoice AND I received full TMV for my trade ( 2002 Forester S+) Deal also includes free tires for life. Expect delivery of 5 pass ltd. in about a month.
    Man tires for life, thats a first...... On these Goodyears that aint such a bad thing, the Ones that came with my 02 Pilot ( Buy me please) lasted 20K, replaced with Michelins , ive got 22 on them and they still look new.

I suppose the dealer assumes you will grow tired of the front and sell before Tires are needed......;) JK...

Located one today, so if the pilot sells, someone coming tomorrow, I hope to be in a Silver TriB by next week.
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    I recently had to have the tire sensor replaced because it was not functioning properly. I had to wait for the sensor to arrive and it did after about two weeks of waiting. After it was installed, the tire pressure was set within a 100th of the recommended pressure in every tire. Everything seemed to be going okay until yesterday when I ran over some debris that was in the middle of the road on 264 west. Later in the evening my tire pressure monitor came on. I stopped to get some air in the tires and it was the last one that I checked. It had around 15 pounds of air at the time. When I went to work this morning I had the same light back on letting me know I had a low tire. I stopped to put air in it and it was running about 10 pounds if I was lucky. I just bee lined to the service department and had them fix the tire. It cost me a whooping 18 dollars, to get back on the road. I also went over to the dealer and ask about getting my after market DVD player. He called the vendors to see when they could do it and to my great luck, today was the day. My dealer told me that I would get the same model from the factory, so he put me in a 02 Forester and off the work I went. That was my first experience in the Forester. I came out of a Grand Vitara Suzuki and into the Tribeca. I can say that the Forester doesn't even compare to the Tribeca in any way, shape, or form. But it does show up the Grand Vitara in comfort. I just love how Subaru mastered the placement of the arm rests. I also like the placement of the clock and the outside temp reading. After I made it to work, I received a call from the dealer telling me that the factory model DVD would not fit because of my sunroof. I ended up getting two head rest monitors installed and the unit was placed under the passengers front seat. It looks like the brand is Audiovox LCM5620PKG 5.6" monitors with two Audio/Video Input Capability. I have the understanding that I can watch a movie on one side and have a play station plugged into the AUX in the back of the unit and play at the same time on the other screen or watch the same movie from both screens. The wireless headsets and remote control units were also part of the package. I will more than likely store them in the back seat side door compartments. The only thing I have left is my tow package and it will arrive with my original pre-order sometime this month.

popa_sez
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    Any word on the chrome wheels yet?

Steve
  • mickmacmickmac Member Posts: 1
    I've had my B9 5 passenger since June18 and am really impressed, however this week in Georgia we have had a lot of rain. My wife parks in an open parking lot during the work day and yesterday lightning set off the car alarm. When she started driving home the shifting was erratic not smooth jumping between gears for the whole 15 mile trip. It was ok on the way to work this AM after being in the garage all night.

Tonight we took it out to dinner and it rained pretty much the whole time we were in the restaurant. When we came out all the doors unlocked except the front passenger door. We worked the remote and the lock switch on the driver door panel and the front door would not open.

I'm wondering, since all controls in the car are optical "drive by wire" could the close lightning strike or the wet wether have an effect like we are experiencing? Has anyone else had similar happenings?
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    I wouldn't waste time asking and take your B9 to the dealer. That definitely shouldn't be happening, even if, God forbid, your B9 get struck by lightning.
    Sales in Phoenix area have been brisk...what few these dealers are getting seem to be selling very quickly. Mine is gettings LOTS of second and third looks (it's almost predictable, and quite comical). We're not a "mountain" town per se, but there are lots of mountains and 4WD trails on the outskirts. And while there's not much snow to be found right here :-) you can drive to it in less than a couple hours during about 6 months out of the year.

Don't look for any incentives until next summer (same as they did with the new 05 OBs and Leg's)...my $.02's worth only...

Nav is a bit outdated, but quite handy and accurate in my experimenting. I am assuming Subaru will contact new owners when there is an update. I wasn't going to buy it, but am very glad I did now!

I looked seriously at the Pilot (among others) a year ago, and decided it was just too big and clunky for my personal needs, but a very nice vehicle. Good luck selling her!

-Karen in AZ-
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    I was talking to one of the service people at the dealership about getting new tires and rims, while I was getting my tire fixed. This service person was top shelf. He told me some of the tires that would work for now. One that he mentioned was P265/50/R18. He also said that I would not be able to change my rims because of the tire sensors. If I do change the rims, the tire sensors will not work properly and I will start having problems.

popa_sez
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    Man, I love this car, BUT.....I think Subaru and other companies are really blowing it with stereos that have no hookups for Sat. Radio, Ipods and other items. FM transmitter sound quality is always too big a compromise.
    The Tribeca has a great stereo and there's an AUX on the radio for the DVD system, which we don't have on our 5 passenger version. Does anyone have any info on the radio and what's in back to hook it up properly to an Ipod or Sat. Radio? I have to believe that the AUX should be hackable on some level.

Comments, info?

Robert B
    2006 Tribeca
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Tires for life - IMHO, I'd pass.

The few times I've seen this offered, you had to have all service done at the dealership to their service requirements. To top it off, they don't guarantee you the same OEM tire or even an equivalant aftermarket. They only installed what they felt was an adequate replacement.
    I have emailed Subaru several times recently about this. Turns out the audio system is the same one on the 05 OB -- Panasonic P-136, according to Subaru (no reference to it on Panasonic's site, though). There are apparently no input options on this system. I asked specifically how the CD changer hooks in, and where the AUX on the DVD taps in, and they could not tell me. Short of pulling the whole thing apart, I can only guess there has to be SOME way to hook into that AUX. I haven't emailed Panasonic, but maybe that's the next logical step. Since there are several iPod docking adapters and CD changer adapters out on the market now, surely we can make one of them work for our needs. Anyone game?

-Karen in AZ-
    Let's see who will be the first to crack open the center console and dash. You know someone will do it. ;-)

Forester is easy to take apart, Legacy somewhat harder, but still doable. I bet the 'beca is not easy, though.

-juice
    And where is Fitzmall? I guess it depends on the state, area, and dealership etc. One guy is saying don't expect any discounts untill next summer and then someone else saying $300 under invoice to $700 over depending on model options etc. Would that be a better price on a more expensive model with more options? Also, how do they make money then if they sell as low as $300 below invoice. I thought invoice is what they pay?

On a differenet note, has anyone succesfully used the defeat seat belt chime method that worked on the outback and listed on kmartins site? Neither one time or eliminate chime forever method works in my B9.

anyone get their preorder gift of the portable XM sat radio? how does it work in the car? I guess same as hooking up portable mp3 player. That will suck that you can't have both then and would have to go to the back to switch between XM to mp3 player. How was the dealershihp saying it would work in the Tribeca then even if it didn't have the DVD with aux inputs. Maybe they knew something we dont that would help ppl without dvd trying to connect an ipod/mp3 player etc.

Speaking of portable mp3. I had a Y cable for connection but was too short. Instead of buying an extension I bought a 6ft Y cable so i could still use my shorter one in house/elsewhere etc where I dont' need as long a cord. The 6ft just reaches the front seat coming across the back but just barley to armrest and to fit in between that and seatbelt connector which holds in place good but i need some slack especially to hide the cord and not have it stretched across back seat. Radio shack doesn't have bigger then 6ft Y cable at least that i went to so i will need the extension after all i guess. Volume sounded the same through the headphone input and the line out input that my player has. Line in input doens't get sound. I do recommend the iriver H320 portable mp3 player though for the handy line in and out inputs.

Also, does anyone have moonroof air deflector or splash guards? I think the latter would really help as I've noticed a lot fo splash up from the wheels. They still seem to be not listed on the subaru website yet are in the brochure and dealer has info on both.
    Add a www. and .com to fitzmall and you'll find out!!

Most cars have something called a holdback, usually a few %, that the dealer gets when they sell the vehicle. Many places use this as their profit. It's normally $900-1500 on cars in this price range, but can be more. When you're haggling, it's good to take this into account..... I have paid invoice to $500-$700 under invoice on most Subarus I bought. Even more on a WRX I bought when they were trying to move them off the lot. In all cases, the dealer still made a fair profit.

Craig
    There is a holdback of 2 % that the dealers get back after the sale. on 30K thats $600. So @ $300 under they make $300. Plus invoice will include fees for advertising as such... so that too is misleading.

CR
    Look for my earlier post #4011 that explains how the CD changer is connected, and gives other details. As I said, it's been done for the 05 Legacy/OB models, and there is plenty of discussion about it on other enthusiast sites. Don't waste your time reinventing the wheel!! None of the current adapters will work, since they all require an *external* CD changer jack on the radio. In this regard, some of the older Subaru radios were better off, since they were made to work with a separate changer.

The best bet would be to get the upgraded stereo (in Ltd models) and hope that you can tap into the aux capability that is there to support the DVD option.

Craig
    http://home.sprynet.com/~mklphoto/SUBARU1.HTM

what is the truth behind this? There is no way Consumer Reports would recommend every subaru model year after year if this were true.
    It's funny you know that's how everyone remembers where Florence is located. It's really kind of good for the city probably. We even have a Florence Y'all Festival Labor Day weekend to commemorate the establishment of Florence.

Yea, no offense to any GM owners but it isn't a brand I'm in the least interested in owning! I think they're expensive for what you get so the employee discount is probably a good idea.

Anyway, do you just love your new Sube and where did you buy? What experience did you have?
    Karen, you are so funny about the GM note!!! It's partly the area that gwilson was talking about I think since there is a Delphi plant or something there. I think it is partly why there are so many Toyotas around Northern KY since one of the plants is 45 min. south in Georgetown, KY and the headquarters and another location are in the area where I live.

Anyway, I hope what you say about the incentives is right because that'll probably be about the time I'll be ready to purchase!! ;)
    Regarding the direct connect to the back of the radio. We are all assuming that as it has the AUX feature even is you don't have the DVD that there must be a connection on the back. None of us has wanted to tear up the dash quite yet. Another poster I think said it best... give it a month or two and someone surly will do it and will let us know. Or of course you could be the first and let us know... :P
    Regarding the MP3... does the iriver have a single stereo input/output or is it also a left right or two place input. If it is one... do what I did and run a short "y" from the RCA jack and then just a single wire (from radio shack) extension under the trim along the doors up under the dash and then under the center console into the box. Again it took them all of 20 minutes to get it done. Any good stereo install place will have no problem at all. It's what they do. Then you can have the device in the console and it is tidy, neat and no one will know that you have the connection.

Splash guards and deflector.... I got an accessories brochure in the mail yesterday from SOA and it even said if I purchase splash guards or other items I would get a FREE travel mug!! WOW a free MUG!! Okay, I sent in my receipt with the letter to get mine... I'll admit it! Just what I need another travel mug to go along with my 10 Eddie Bauer ones!

I'm sure they will have all accessories shortly.

The thing I like about my iPod set up is that I plug it into the Belkin charger/adapter which has an amplifier built in... I was concerned that the Belkin unit would introduce noise but it does not! It really helps in getting the sound level up to where it is very close to playing a CD...

I know iriver makes a nice product but I'm an iPod guy as they seem to have the market and accessories...
    Um, I have the Ltd (no DVD)...that's what I was asking. I am wondering if the AUX is a direct connect from the changer or radio (doubt it), or if it's just a bypass button for the DVD (more likely). Still, if the DVD inevitably runs through the audio system, there's GOT to be a way to rig up an iPod/Mp3 and use the AUX.

I won't be the first to rip into it, but I might be the second :-)

-Karen in AZ-
    I shouldn't poke fun at GM, as I grew up in north central Indiana, the heartland of GM/Chrysler/Delco/Delphi. However, after a few GM and Chrysler :lemon: s, I switched to Subaru in 1992 and have been blessed ever since.

-km-
  • andreakatandreakat Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading this message board for a week or so. I'm contemplating buying a B9 in the next year or so. I currently have a Forester Turbo and have been wondering if I'll feel lagging in the power department. I came from a 98 Honda CR-V and have had my Forester for a little over a year. There are a few comfort type items that look like I'll be able to achieve in the B9 that are missing in the Forester plus the ability for more passengers is appealing to me with a blended family of 6.

I'd like to know if anyone had tried towing with the B9 and what kind of handling you've found? I've also read with interest the ability to hook up an ipod since I've become very attached to mine in the last few months.

Thanks for all the info.
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    What a bunch of crap. The website author posts six random complaints for 1996 - 1998 vehicles. There was no pattern of failure nor any supporting documentation. Sounds like a cheapskate with an old car trying to get free fixes after the warranty expired.