Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW the 4 days or so that I had it I was getting plenty of looks. Neighbors and on-lookers all gave it the thumbs up, even when I said it wasn't mine so don't spare my feelings. It gets noticed.

photoguy2: say that phrase fast 5 times. :D

-juice
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    LoL! Mine is Silver Wagon.

Both bug-eyed WRX and Tribeca have some elegancy in them when you see them in person. It is different than many other cars like Camery, Corolla, Accord etc. That's why, I'm guessing, many ppl hate it. They'd rather drive a bland looking cars that is invisible among millions other cars on the road.
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    Both bug-eyed WRX and Tribeca have some elegancy in them when you see them in person. It is different than many other cars like Camery, Corolla, Accord etc. That's why, I'm guessing, many ppl hate it. They'd rather drive a bland looking cars that is invisible among millions other cars on the road. >>

Exactly! 99% of the cars out there look pretty much the same and the car buying public is brainwashed. Plug some personality into a design and some part of the public will start yelling. PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, Nissan FX 35, Subaru Tribeca, and even the boxy Scion...all cars some folks will call ugly. With a look back on the generic looks of cars over 20 years I welcome those designs! I love the front end of the Tribeca. It's a fantastic effort that will surely be even more refined in future models. Subaru won't go quietly into the night with dull designs like BMW, Lexus and the rest.

Robert B
    NY
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Very interesting... I remember when I lusted after the Lexus 330 because it was a Lexus. I just could not get myself to pull the trigger. When the Tribeca came out and my sales guy called to say I think we just might have a vehicle that meets your needs. (we had been looking for over a year to find a vehicle that I fit in (6'6"), had reasonable gas mileage, was comfortable and fun to drive on the highway (I spend most of my miles in sales so lots of road warrior miles) but would get me to photo opportunities that a car could not) I went down to see and drive it and I was blown away with the styling. It was unique but refined. Elegant but fun and now I realize different from all the rest... Now when I see the Lexus I yawn...

So happy I chose mybeca...
    The RX is actually pretty modern looking, but the rest of the lineup is pretty dull.

In this class I find the Highlander and Pilot boring, but I like the RX, Murano, and Tribeca's styling. The Endeavor is just weird. :)

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Went to the dealer today for flashing security light and free oil change (more to come) and I asked if they had any Tribecas..they had 2 acroos the road ready for delivery today; so I took my life in my hands and crossed Federal Hwy(US Rt 1) in Pompano and saw a white one(5 pass) and Atlantic Blue(7 pass). Me Likee...the nose had hardly any protrusion to it (as opposed to my nose!) and I was very pleasantly surprised. I will probably be doing a 24 hr thing.

As to the dealer, Eddie Accardi, these people should not be selling cars! When we first went shopping for Susan's Legacy back in 2001, we sat there for 40 minutes before anybody even spoke to us. When we reached the pricing section, there was a $569 charge on their estimate; when asked what it was, the salesman said it was for Accardi's son's college fund! (at least he was honest). Today, when I went to the cashier, they charged me $7, listed as oil..when I mentioned the free oil change, she fiddled w/ the computer and said it was for the reprogramming of the security light...seems reasonable. When I got home, the phone rings...it's the cashier saying she made a mistake and it should have been almost $48 for labor and could I come back...after basically cursing in a few languages (I know curses in Italian, French, and Arabic!) ,I said..1) I'm not taking a another 20 mile drive 2) it's her mistake, and 3) I'm not paying any more for 1 - 2 minutes of fiddling with the key fob buttons. Finally, the head cashier got on and said I didn't have to pay.....what a poor operation there (SoA, are you reading this?). A fun time was had by all.

As for Swampy (my favorite heckler, BTW), I found the perfect t-shirt for you...$5.83 at Walmart.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    go for it! It also fits my sensibilities
    Could it be? Is it real? OR... Do I detect a note of SARCASM in your response
    Love it, Serge.

Now that's what Swampy will look like in my mind, at least until we meet in person or I see a real photo.

Did you see it in a female version for my wife? ;)

-juice
  • anewdadanewdad Member Posts: 4
    Really really love the Tribeca and on the fence about buying........question to all to B9 owners out there???

We have found the small back window(and back cargo area window) a difficult back up and safety issue. Do you owners that have driven the B9 for a while find you get used to this??? We now have a Pathfinder and Forrester and obviously are not used to a small back window and smaller side mirrors. Also we have a new born in the car seat in the back and other concerns here for smooth rides, etc...........

thks for any and all advice.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Well, I'm not an owner, but I have had one for a couple of days, and have put around 300 miles on a Tribeca, so I hope that allows me to comment. ;)

Yes, I agree 100% that there is a blind spot there. I noticed it especially when looking over my right rear shoulder, and frankly found it a bit disconcerting on the highway when changing lanes. I think you need to rely more on the passenger-side outside mirror. I guess you do get used to it, but that is definitely feature I do not like.

Bob
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I love my Beca but hate parallel parking it. I have almost 2500 miles on it and though it is getting a bit easier to park it - it is still awkward. I will be getting parking sensors installed soon. Unfortunately nothing can be done about the lack of tilt down side view mirrors when in reverse. If it had tilt downs and the sensors parking would be a snap.

As to safety issues regarding your baby, I am not sure what you are asking. The B9 should prove to be a very safe vehicle overall.
  • labradorimlabradorim Member Posts: 4
    I have a similar question plus a couple observations. I own a 2001 Forester and am considering stepping up to the Tribeca. I've had 3 days of test drives and am interested in the 5-seater ltd. One observation is that the big screen on the dash that is for navigation is pretty silly if one doesn't get the navigation program, as I don't intend to do. So much wasted space!

Next is the lack of storage compared to my forester (not counting the compartments under the cargo area.

Thirdly and most important is the issue of blind spots as mentioned by the original poster. I have felt it was almost dangerous to back up, change lanes, etc with the large headrest, small mirrors, and small back and side windows all seeming to block the view.

But otherwise I love the car! Love the looks, love the steering, the road feel, the interior options, and I absolutely love Subaru. I would really like to hear from Tribeca owners on these points, as I would like to make a decision this month about the purchase. Thank you!
    These are all valid concerns. However, I'm sure you will get used to it after a few days of driving (as I was). I really hope Subaru offers backup camera soon. But I do backup daily. Paraller parking a few times. Change lane is not a big issue as long as you prepare before hand (notice who is behind or beside you). After all, all the big trucks on the road don't have rear window and nor side windows. Adjust your side mirrors properly also helps.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Haven't posted in Town Hall for over a year, but I've come back with a question. I'm trying to decide between a B9 Tribeca Limited 7-passenger with NAV & RES, and an MDX Touring with NAV & RES. Considering it's Acura's clearance time, I got a deal of $38,200 for a fully-loaded MDX Touring. The B9, equipped with auto-dim mirror/compass, crossbars, alarm shock sensor upgrade, and rear bumper cover (to make it like the MDX), comes out at about $38,800. We currently have a 2004 Acura MDX Premium but the deal we got for the 05 Touring made it seem like this wasn't a time to pass on this deal and thus we are in the market for a new SUV, this time with a navigation system and RES. So far, here's what I have gathered about the B9 compared to the MDX

B9 pros:
    -more stylish wheels, 1" larger in diameter
    -more attractive interior
    -active front headrests
    -more nimble and less body roll
    -manual mode
    -front dual-zone automatic climate control
    -rear headrest positioning allows slightly more view to rear window
    -LED turn signals in side mirrors
    -RES screen is 2" larger
    -front cupholder cover is of higher quality, and opens in a more fluid way
    -full-sweep gauge needles
    -MP3 stereo capability
    -windshield wiper de-icer
    -standard rear spoiler

B9 cons:
    -gets "wheezy" and struggles over 50MPH with 5 adults (3 family members, salesman, and I)
    -despite a design that stands out, it doesn't look as if it will age as well as MDX
    -dealerships and service aren't luxury-oriented (our Acura dealer offers Starbucks coffee, fridge with water, sodas, and energy drinks, donuts, tea, chocolates, and cookies)
    -side-curtain airbags don't extend to 3rd-row
    -side impact test of Legacy by IIHS didn't come out as good as TL's
    -smaller interior with less space (less "airy" feeling)
    -rear air system has no heat function, nor ability to seperate head/leg ventilation
    -navigation system is too recessed (requires me to move a little forward to comfortably touch the screen)
    -no XM, Bluetooth, OnStar, voice command for navigation system, mirror tiltdown in reverse, rearview camera, rear sonar system, leather door inserts/center armrest, brake assist, 8-way power passenger's seat, power lumbar, memory system for 2 drivers, nor driver's auto-up window
    -smaller gas tank

I really like the B9 and am really impressed. It also seems as if Subaru targeted only the MDX and no other competitor (they both have blue ambient lighting in the footwells and over the center console). Now some people are saying that the MDX isn't worth $6,000 over the B9, but I doubt they ever went to the Acura dealer in the first place, especially when everybody over at Acuramdx.org is getting theirs for this price too. I'm most likely going to go for the MDX, unless somebody here can convince me. After-all, I really did like the B9's interior.
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    I was told that the MDX AWD system was not up to the level of the Subaru's. Something about it being only part time AWD and loss of anti-lock in certain situations. Same for the Pilot. You might want to check on that.
    I think the best choices along with the B9 are the BMW X5 and the RX 300.

Robert B
    2006 Tribeca
    NY
  • philhedmundsphilhedmunds Member Posts: 14
    Good comparison between the MDX and Tribeca...

In fact, my wife's favorite is the MDX and she wonders why we should pay $35k for a "Subaru". However, I like the smaller dimensions of the Tribeca, and feel it would be easier for her to drive on a daily basis.

I just test drove the Tribeca today for the first time, and overall I liked it. The engine seemed to rev a lot more than I expected, but it was smooth and generally powerful enough for me.

The salesman was trying to convince me that it has the "space of an SUV with the handling of a sports car". Um...I'm not buying that line. The Tribeca has a bit more body roll and nose dive under braking than my wife's current Passat wagon, let alone a sports car.

We're planning on doing a 24 hour test drive within the next couple weeks so that my wife can drive it for a full day to see what she thinks of it.
    Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. The MDX is certianly an excellent choice. Subaru does have a very good reputation for quality and reliability. To be clear... I'm assuming your price of $38,800 on the B9 is MSRP thus you would be able to get it for about $36,000 so roughly a $2,200 difference.

Maybe it's time to try a new brand!

Good luck with your decision!
    First of all, TL and Legacy crash tests are irrelevant to the MDX/Tribeca comparison -- you should drop that point. The Tribeca handles infinitely better than the MDX (my opinion) which would be an overall safety advantage.

Also, be sure you are pricing the Tribeca at about invoice to $700 over invoice, which is the going range. Check www.fitzmall.com to get some real world prices. If you are comparing based on MSRP, that puts the Tribeca a couple grand higher than it should be.

I agree with the earlier post that the Subaru AWD is superior, but this doesn't matter to most people (enthusiasts like me appreciate it though, and it's one reason the Tribeca handles so well).

My main concern about the MDX is that the current generation is about to be replaced with an all-new, totally revised 06 model. The current generation is dated at this point (still a good vehicle though). Anyway, I would not be surprised if the 05 last-gen MDX depreciates faster than the 06 new-gen Tribeca. Something to keep in mind.

In every other respect, I think you have the basics pretty well defined. If you are really set on the MDX, then wait a few months -- perhaps the 06 model will be even more compelling. If not, the deals on leftover 05 models will be even better.

Craig
  • jandj94jandj94 Member Posts: 17
    A few points:

Smaller gas tank yes, but the best mileage in this class. May be a wash.

You're comparing a traditional luxury brand to Subaru- who while they've come a long way from "Inexpensive and built to stay that way"- is not known for their luxury, but rather dependability and utility.

I was offered a rear sonar by my dealer- obviously aftermarket, but covered under the warranty.

My father in law, Rick, has an MDX. While it's nice, I enjoy spending time in my Tribeca much more. Maybe it's the Feng Shui I mentioned in a previous posting.

I think with the accessory subwoofer, the stereo is better than the premium system Rick got in his MDX- and he's jealous of the fuller sound in my Tribeca (as he was in my Legacy). He's also jealous of the 'sport {manual] mode' my car.

Regardless- Acura makes a superb product; and you can't go wrong. But you're not really comparing apples to apples. I agree that since the 2006's are just around the corner, it may be a good idea to wait and see. Good luck either way.
    interior is very nicely done. the curved dash is nice.

however that nose still made me cringe in person. so my yucks at the photos translated to yucks in real life. i did not find the rear objectionable like some others. the side view was good.
    I got some really good replies, and thanks for that.

The smaller gas tank is a small issue, but an issue nonetheless. The B9 only gets 1MPG better in the city and the same highway MPG as the MDX. Since we do a lot of roadtrips, a larger gas tank is an advantage, but certainly not a breaking-point.

I could also care less that the Subaru's AWD system is better than the MDX's 4WD system since I live in Dallas and our weather is usually sunny. If I were up North, however, it would be a concern.

The Bose stereo in the MDX isn't at all great, just like many automobile Bose systems (Envoy comes to mind). However, adding a set of 4 for $99 Infinity Reference speakers really clears it up, making it better than the Murano's Bose, SRX's Bose, and Highlander's JBL - yet it's not at all as nice as a Harman-Kardon system. The Bose in the Touring is up-to-par with the 160-watt B9 stereo.

I'm also doubtful that the MDX will lose a lot of value when the 2006 model comes out. From what I've read, the 2006 refreshed MDX will get Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), upgraded stereo and NAV system, new interior, and refreshed exterior with 18" wheels. To me, all that is nice, but I like the 05s too and the price seems to be unbeatable.

While I'm slightly leaning towards the MDX, I'm still up-in-the-air when it comes to choosing between the two. I love the B9's slightly sportier handling, but I like the MDX's feature list more.
    I could also care less that the Subaru's AWD system is better than the MDX's 4WD system since I live in Dallas and our weather is usually sunny. If I were up North, however, it would be a concern.

See that's the problem -- most consumers miss the point. The real issue is that the MDX is a front-drive platform with a transverse engine and a part time AWD system. It's essentially the Odyssey platform beefed up for SUV duty. In contrast, Subaru uses a symmetrical AWD system with a longitudinal engine/drivetrain and a low center-of-gravity engine architecture. The overall system is elegant, lightweight, compact, and very efficient in terms of packaging and driving dynamics. You get that benefit 100% of the time, regardless of the weather. Now, this probably doesn't matter to a lot of people, but if you are appreciating the Tribeca's handling (despite the excellent ground clearance) then you understand the benefit.

Last time I drove an MDX was back in the fall of 2001, but I really noticed body lean and a tippy feeling when cornering. One thing that really impressed me when I test drove the Tribeca a few weeks ago was how flatly it cornered for a minivan-ish SUV.

I guess my question -- is there an SUV that has it all?? The features/amenities of the MDX (which are top notch) along with the handling and driving dynamics of the Tribeca? That would be something to look for.

BTW, the 06 MDX is not a refresh -- it's a major redesign. Following Honda's typical cycle, this will be all new. And knowing Honda, it will be a major improvement -- they have a heritage of one-upping themselves in some remarkable ways. Variable displacement alone would make me wait for the new one! Think about how much better the new Odyssey is than the last one -- that's essentialyl the basis for the upcoming MDX.

Craig
    Thanks for explaining it to me - the B9 sounds to be much better in the traction department.

One quick question, however: Does the B9 deploy the airbags during a rollover? The MDX states it does, as do other midsize utes, but I can't find it listed for the B9.
  • ejb1ejb1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Europe and I am considering importing Tribeca from the U.S.A. I have already read a lot of usefull info here, thanks folks. However, I do not know what exactly puddle lights are and how they look. I would be very thankfull for any photo or at least description. Thanks a lot.
  • dorrdorr Member Posts: 4
    I thought I would chime in and say that last Thursday I joined the Tribeca elite and took delivery of my Mahogany Red 7 Passenger Limited. Having traded in a '99 Odyssey with 156,000 miles I must say that I absolutely love the Tribeca. This is my first Subaru experience so in about 6-7 years I'll chime back in and let you know how it was.

I very much like the fact that the Tribeca is different and this is one of the reasons why I choose the Mahogany Red as it appears that there are not as many of them available. The nose/grill is distinctive, the interior is just plain cool, the ride is outstanding, the handling is superb, and the fit and finish is excellent. In all I am extremely pleased with my purchase and am looking forward to a long future with my Tribeca.

-David
    Welcome aboard David! Looking forward to your contributions on this site. ENJOY! :)
    While most have been discussed above, here are my 2 cents (I got to sit in a MDX almost daily):

(1) Mid console A/C vent, aka 'ball cooler', for send row only on MDX vs 4 roof vents for both 2dn and 3rd row seats on Tribeca

(2) Very boring interior design in MDX

(3) Questionable reliabilty. I have seen rear A/C being problematic. My friend already spent $1k to fix it. On top of that, Acura seems still have no clue about the brake clunking noise after 5 years.

(4) No dual zone front A/C control.

(5) 3rd row heat rest needs to be assembled and stored in separate places everytime you use it or flip it down.
    There were pictures posted in this thread a few pages back.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Hi, ejb1. I have a few puddle light pictures at this link (others here have posted some as well):

http://members.cox.net/kamartin/new%20car%20pix.html

Scroll to near the bottom...they are essentially additional exterior nightlights that shine on the ground below each of the four doors. They come on when you disengage the alarm or first turn off the ignition (and all the interior lights come on). They are bluish in color, and add additional visibility, just in case you might step in a puddle or on rough pavement, etc. Very cool-looking but quite functional. They are a factory-installed option ONLY (can't add them later).

-Karen in AZ-
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    This is my first subie so I can not speak to comparisons with other models.

Regarding blind spots, As I stated backing up and parallel parking in particular is an issue. But is basically addressed for $100 to $300 (if you are a DIYer or not) by getting a rear park assist installed as I will.

When you are in DRIVE and going forward - I have not found any visibility issuses, if you have properly set your side view mirrors. From my observations over the years most drivers do not know how to set the mirrors to maximize viewing what coming uo on you or next to you in the other lanes.

Most drivers seem to keep thier mirrors tucked in far too much, to the point that they can see the sides or rear corner of their car. That is totally wrong & IMHP quite dangerous.

If your 3 mirrors are set correctly you should see a vehicle in both lanes on either side of you . When cars a quite a distance back your rear view mirror will allow you to see all that is going on behind you.

As a car closes in on you, your side mirrors should be set far enough out so they pick up the car before you can no longer see it in your rear view mirror. I try to set mine so I can see the car about 8 to 10 car lengths before I lose it in the rear view.

If the side mirror is totally set correctly you should be able to see the car that is closing on you until it almost next to you and you can see it with your peripheral vision before the side mirror loses it.

With properly set mirrors a driver should see almost everything he or she needs to by glancing into the mirrors. Hopes his helps.
    Hmm, nobody answered my question! Well, maybe bold can help me out. Does the Tribeca deploy the side-curtains during a rollover and is there a link on the internet to show me? I've tried the Subaru website, but it says nothing about that. Please answer, we're planning to purchase one or an MDX by Wednesday.

-Thanks
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    I am not sure at the moment, but I will try rolling mine over tonight,
    and let you know what the outcome is.

popa_sez
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Patience Grasshopper, weekends are sometimes slow around here. bold is just like shouting (ALL CAPS), it's not necessary. You'll likely get a reply before your purchase Wednesday.

-Brian
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for an answer specific to the B9 you may be interested in this article which discusses airbag protection in rollovers.

tidester, host
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I agree that the MDX awd is not as good as the B9's nor does it handle nearly as well. And I would add that the reason it is the same for the Pilot is because the MDX is a Pilot with an A on it and the Pilot is Minivan (Honda Odyssey?) with 4 doors. So I would never see that in the running with the Tribeca.

Also, I would not say the best choices along with teh B9 are the BMW X5. That is not a Consumer Reports recommended model at all so no. The Lexus Rx 300/330/400h yes as that is the #1 pick and to contradict myself a little bit after saying they were the same but ironically the Pilot is #2 overall in recommended mid size suv models, Highlander 3 and Murano at 4.

The MDX is recommended along with the Infinity FX but further down in overall rating.

But would just have to reiterate that the X5 would not be best choice along the B9. Don't get me wrong I do like some BMW despite my nick name here. The 3 series and 5 series were consistently top rated models year after year until recently with redesign etc. and which point there really is no good bmw models right now. And I do want to clarify about nick that It really mostly pertains to the BMW 3.0 model which I think the B9 kills while I understand that the 4.4 and 4.6 models with gas guzzling v8 engines would probably smoke a B9 in a race they are not well rated models any of them so no still not a best choice along Tribeca.

Also, I would say over of those top 4 rated mid size suv models I mentioned that the B9 is most similiar to the Nissan Murano and why I feel that is its main competition. So maybe my nick should be the Murano killer though even those 2 being most similar to me are diff enough that I dont know that the B9 is taking away a lot of Murano sales but maybe.

I would say definately though that the Tribeca is the killer of all other suvs (besides maybe the FX) in handling.

I really wish they would make it with a better, faster, more hp and tourque engine though and better yet hybrid. Any chance of putting in a RX 400h gas electric hybrid v6 engine with 280 or whatever hp that performs like a V8 and gets 30mpg. Now thats what you should be going for but its 50,000.

Speaking of hybrids I am worried that I will actually like the new Highlander redesign in 2007 as it will be available in a hybrid that will prob also get great speed,hp, tourque etc. so i just hope the B9 retains its value till then even though i bought I would trade sooner then normal for a reasonably priced hybrid with styling and options etc. that I like.

I am worried that I will like the new MDX redesign that I am hearing about. But while i'm sure it will be nice, i dont think it will be available in a hybrid model as there is no Acura yet and only 1? honda model. Plus its still based on a minivan so I'll keep my B9
    I'd really like to get a base FX35 RWD, but the B9 and MDX offer so much more for less money with the added security of using all the wheels for traction.

And I keep hearing these complaints of how the MDX is based on a minivan platform. It's actually based on an enlarged Accord platform, which conincidentally is the basis of the Odyssey. One could even say the B9 is based on a station wagon, but it's actually an enlarged sedan platform.

Anyways, 2006 MDX changes are listed on vtec.net and it looks like no VCM nor big changes. I figure that I might, MIGHT get the MDX considering the good deal I'm getting. But I'll be heading over tomorrow to both the Subaru and Acura dealers to renegotiate and look over the cars again.

Wish me luck!
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I know what you mean by people thinking the Tribeca is a Lexus or similiar to the RX as I was parked behind an RX 400h and someone thought it was the same car which would be a real compliment and I only wish it had the same high performance 30mpg hybrid engine with more hp then the b9.

I must say though that that is only ppl who really dont have much of a clue or take only a quick glance.

The bottom line is though is that the Tribeca looks almost exactly like the Alfa Romeo 147 from the rear and sides. Look up the 147. Yes sadly it is a hatchback car but I have to disagree with you on the rear looking like a toyota matrix or vibe. That was just the front end to me that had a low feeling. The back and side despite looking exactly like afore mentioned Alfa Romeo model look very much modern day car like suv ie. RX, Murano etc.

The side and rear looking exactly like a certain Alfa model is especially funny since most ppl said Alfa of the front grille which really besides the center grille nothing else in the front is like any other Alfa models. Also, the Tribeca does not look much at all like the pictures of the Alfa suv concept.

Regardless again of it looking exactly like a certain alfa car model from rear and sides I think it looks very much suv from both and I like them both and think of it as a plus with the alfa styling.

I did notice though that the RX's fog lights are set much higher then the Tribecas and feel like though it would have been copying and then making it just like 2 other vehicles out there that Subaru should have set those open "wings" under neath the whole front end like the Cayenne and Touareg instead of on either side of the grille and just set the front bumper overall with a higher and more agressive substantial for lack of a better word front end while maintaining the sporty feel to it.
    In fact If I could request a side by side picture of the front end of the Touareg and especially the Cayenne which is more similar to the B9's headlight shape and placement. Though you prob wont be able to tell how the Cayennes front end is so much higher off the ground then the B9 but you will see what I mean with placement of the open air intakes.

And my stance on the front while thinking it is actually less Alfa besides the center grille i guess, I just felt like it was a little low thats all and that why i mentioned those wagon models but that was being a a little harsh as the b9 is way better then those and I am mostly over the whole front bumper is too low phase anyway and have always liked from the start pictures to in person like the front end and also have all onlookers, freinds fam and strangers like the front end and not one single dislike of it.

Oh and just to clear up what you said overall as you seemed to act like you were agreeing with me in some way and taking it one step further. In no way do i htink the B9 is as lame as the Matrix or Vibe overall and looks way better and is just way better and way more suv like overall and yes worth the price. If you really think those models are similiar for so much less then get one but noone else will think so. I was talking specifically about the very front bottom end being low thats all.

Also, I mentioned it in another post I believe but.... THERE WILL BE NO SAAB VERSION OF THE B9 TRIBECA!
    not meaning to yell but just to get the point across once and for all. Saab is now using a diff platfrom for that model and speaking of Pontiac its one of theres and i'm sure you can look it up. So good look waiting for the saab as I wouldn't want the Chevy Trailblazer based saab suv or the new one based on pontiac plat.
    The B9 is safe as a completely unique and original model... at least for now.
  • ejb1ejb1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Karen and others! Thanks a lot for the info and of course great pictures. Everything is clear now and puddle lights seem to be a nice option. Good luck with your Tribecas. Hope to join you soon.

EJB.
    the trifecta nose is not a deal breaker unlike the persons who should be shot for that mitsubshi nose. i have never seen an uglier lineup, that nose needs to be broken and reset.
    This has been on-again off-again, but the latest decision is that it will happen.

Craig
    The question is whether or not Saab can survive long enough for it to happen. The WRX rebadging didn't do well.
    You are quite welcome, EJB...that's what we are all here for.

Now for the hard part...picking out the right color :) Good luck!

-Karen in AZ-
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi,
    We ordered the optional roof rack with the B9 but now have decided to add the bike rack and was wondering how others have made out with the bike rack on the B9 ?
    Hope it does not add too much height to the car as we need to get it under the garage door.
    Is this a big or little deal to install for the dealer ?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

p.s. We are FINALLY up to 21.6mpg.
    First off, both are fine choices so ignore what anyone says and buy the one that quickens your pulse the most. Period.

The differences above are minor IMO. You can save a couple grand up front, but my guess is in teh $36-38k range that's not the top priority for you.

You can use regular fuel, I think the MDX requires premium. You might do a little better on mileage.

Tribeca is a bit lighter, MDX is carrying about one football player's worth of ballast. IMO the Tribeca handles better for that reason.

VDC AWD is rear-biased. MDX is primarily FWD, while the Subie is tuned more like the German SUVs. I think you will feel the difference, and yes, even in Dallas.

Side impacts will be fine. Outback aces this and the Tribeca is 5" higher in the seating position. This test is all about height compatibility. Tribeca will ace it, I'd bet on that.

Subaru Bucks - get a Chase Subaru credit card and start piling up the Subaru Bucks. We've already spent $400 worth. Use it for free service, someone got new tires with them, whatever. It adds up.

Like I said, though, those are all minor in the big picture.

I think the real difference is that the Tribeca is new and unique. Everyone has an MDX and noone even notices them any more. That's fine if you want anonymity, depends on what you want. Tribeca will get more attention and responses, both positive and negative, but it will get you noticed.

-juice