Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I have to admit the more I look at the pictures, the more I like the profile and the rear. But I still can't get used to that ugly nose, and unless it looks significantly better in real life, I probably never will.

Sly
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    "And I again ask - why didn't they start with the Legacy/Outback? Why bring out a new corporate face when your sales leader is less than one year old? "

"Easy. There's less risk (for Subaru) with an all-new car than with one that's already established."

By the time Zap was hired, FHI was already working on the new Legacy design.

"...putting the 3.0 in that heavy car???? "

I have a friend that will be in the market for a new crossover this summer. He wants something that can tow and I showed him the drawings of the B9X. He said if it gets a turbo H6 and can tow, he might consider it. Looks like he might have to shop other brands. He hasn't seen the newest spy pics. He currently has a 99 OB.

-Dennis
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm almost certain we will see other engine options, probably a year after its debut.

Bob
    By the time Zap was hired, FHI was already working on the new Legacy design.

Good point, and most likely true. That vehicle was probably too far along in design and engineering to be drastically altered.

Bob
    "I'm almost certain we will see other engine options, probably a year after its debut. "

I'm certain of that too, Subaru will have no choice...

Sly
    I'm certain of that too, Subaru will have no choice...

I'm sure that was the plan from the beginning.

Bob
    http://www.lafayettejc.com/news20041231/200412310local_business11- - - 04469329.shtml

Also confirmed by a Subie dealer over at nabisco.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I just got C&D in the mail - there it is on Page 32. IMHO, it looks better in silver and from the left front quarter angle. They also have a shot of the dash with a nav system - very organic design. Looks like no place for any aftermarket audio.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    "For a while, I never looked at Subaru, but they're coming out with some really nice looking cars."

:-D

DaveM
    Yeah, but the B9 wasn't there, otherwise she might have had a diffrent reaction! :D

Sly
    Rob, same grille insert with horizontal bars?

Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Don't you think Subaru has weighed all the issues involved? Don't you think they have internally asked all the same questions everyone has been asking here? Don't you think they have wrestled with this decision to move upmarket, and what's involved, and all the risks entailed?

Anytime you change, there is risk involved. Don't you think Subaru knows this?

I don't think Subaru has learned their lesson from past failures, and that bothers me. Other companies have been humbled by past mistakes, yet Subaru seems to repeat them.

The Tribeca will probably be a decent vehicle, but we already know it will be a bit underpowered. They went out on a limb with the styling and that seems like an unecessary risk to take. I know with a little more work they could have come up with a design that more people like (for instance, the great styling of the Legacy comes to mind). Why they chose to potentially "hobble" the new vehicle with risky styling escapes me.

Craig
    Like it or not the Cayenne is Porsches biggest seller.

That's not saying much -- we're talking about a company that normally sells a few hundred or couple thousand (tops) of each model!

Craig
    That's not saying much -- we're talking about a company that normally sells a few hundred or couple thousand (tops) of each model!

It may be the difference between a good year or bad year in terms of profits and loses.

Bob
    Rob, same grille insert with horizontal bars?

Yes. The center grille looks like it is an egg crate design but only the main horizontal bars are chrome. Also, the autoweek pic makes it look like there is a big chrome ring around the center grille spilling out onto the bumper. The C&D pic shows that to be bumper color - not grille. There is only a small chrome ring around the grille inset.

But you can see that the headlights stick up above the hood. They could've made them smoothly intergrate into the hood ala 911. IMHO, that would've looked great. But then again I like the CTS!!

As I said from that angle, it's not as homely as in the autoweek pics.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nice looking Suzuki! Certainly better looking than the dull Daewoo it was based on.

Note, however, that it has the Alfa grille, i.e. it's upside down in relation to Subaru's, which is A shaped.

Looks like the grille insert is still TBD. I hope it's mesh, that would look great.

Is the RX radical? The original was, a bit, sort of the Jetsons vehicle of choice at a time when all the SUVs were 2 box designs. The designer look is how it took the segment lead in sales, and like Bob said mechanically it's no big deal, really.

So yes, the RX was pretty radical, a trend-setter.

The MDX was less so, because it looked too much like a minivan.

Thought of something, though - anyone have pics of the Maserati Kubang? That's the SUV (concept) that the B9 Tribeca resembles most.

Check it out.

-juice
    As with current Legacys, Outbacks and Bajas, I think you can expect to see a variety of grille inserts, all using the same basic shell.

Bob
    I bet you're right. I had a JDM catalog for a '99 Legacy and in that catalog alone I spotted 7 variations of the Legacy grille.

I don't like the chrome strips in the spy shots from Autoweek. I prefer the blacked-out grille from the sketch.

-juice
    http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/skinkmania/subarub9x28largeimagef- ile293.jpg

I'm feeling better all the time about this. :)

Bob
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    It is growing on me. Dare I hope for power pedals and / or tilt and telescoping wheel, or other tall guy friendly freatures? :-)
    That's the picture I mentioned.
    that the B9 Tribeca may have a foot-operated emergency brake. :( I prefer a hand brake myself, but I guess if it's auto-only, it will be okay.

Wonder if it has steering wheel shift buttons? My guess is no.

Bob
    Better still, the NAV unit is up nice and high on the center stack, right in your line of vision for quick and easy glances. This is a very well laid out dash from what I can see.

Bob
    That looks a heck of a lot better in silver! I think it has to do with the way the grille stands out from the body. With silver paint, we see much more of the "blackness" of the grille.

Now, if they can get rid of those chrome stripes in the center section, ala my artwork below, I may actually like it....

Craig
    No comment. :)

Well actually one comment: The darker the body color, the more the grille will disappear into the body; the lighter the color, the more it will stand out. So if you don't like the grille, check it out in black, or some other dark color.

Bob
    Now, if they can get rid of those chrome stripes in the center section, ala my artwork below, I may actually like it....

I'm sure you will see that kind of grille treatment at some point, if not on this car, certainly on some other Subie. Another solution would be to change those chrome strips to a satin silver, gunmetal gray or even body colored. The net effect would be to make the oval logo "pop" a bit more. As it currently stands, the oval logo somewhat "competes" with the horizontal grille strips. By knocking those strips back a bit, the logo and strips would then "compliment one another, rather than "fight" one another for attention.

Also, you just made my point: A very subtle change like that can have an enormous (visual) impact.

Bob
    Wonder if it has steering wheel shift buttons? My guess is no.

The C&D picture shows two buttons on each horizontal spoke. My guess would be audio and climate controls. Although it's possible they could be nav controls.

DaveM
    "Is the RX radical? The original was, a bit, sort of the Jetsons vehicle of choice at a time when all the SUVs were 2 box designs. The designer look is how it took the segment lead in sales, and like Bob said mechanically it's no big deal, really."

The designer look was certainly part of it, but I think the main reason for it's success is that it is very luxurious, comfortable, has a very smooth engine and ride, is whisper quiet, and is VERY well built.

Sly
    That does look significantly better then what we saw before. The previous pics made the nose look very awkward, this is not bad. Not sure I'd want to see that nose treatment on all new Subies, but it does work on this minivan.

Sly
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    my what a big nose you have grandma. great now all i see is nose.
    Silver looks better, it makes the chrome contrast less and therefore stand out less.

Interior looks gorgeous, sort of like a tall Acura TL stack. 3 spoke wheel, even.

Thanks for the Kubang links, Colin.

Now check out that large-mouth bass! And it's a beauty!

It's squat and muscular, obviously a lot smaller than the Tribeca but it seems like that's the design that inspired the B9.

-juice
    Looks like 2 chrome rings around the speedo and odo. Generally feels like a cockpit, it seems, with swoopy style.

Vents, audio, and ACC looks integrated. I hope HAL left the building and the integrated stereo is good (aux input, for instance).

Wonder what's under that split cover in the center console, prolly cup holders.

Inside looks great, no complaints from here. Well, it could have less of that silver stuff.

-juice
    Silver looks better, it makes the chrome contrast less and therefore stand out less.

That's true, but because it's a light color, it makes the large black grille openings stand out, so you take your choice: more chrome, or more black. You can't have both, it's either one or the other. :)

Bob
    Silver, then I'd shop for a black mesh grille, or have Pat build me a custom one. :-)

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Thanks for the Kubang links, Colin.

umm, that was me, not Colin, that posted the Kubang links: subearu, "Subaru B9X (Future Vehicles)" #485, 2 Jan 2005 12:02 am

You're welcome though! ;-)

-Brian
    In Portuguese, "Colin" actually means Papa Bear. Naturally. ;-)

-juice
    Judging by his enthusiasm, I think Subaru will definitely need to build a B9 Juice Edition. :)

Sly
    Silver, then I'd shop for a black mesh grille, or have Pat build me a custom one. :-)

I was thinking the same exact thing... and maybe add a can of Krylon to the list of options.

Craig
    No, it's actually a B-nivan!
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    anyone check out http://www.sevenseats.com lately? Looks like there's been several new entries.

-Brian
    nice comparison list

i know u included the murano, fx35 clone but the fx35 ( given ) the upscale desire might be swapped in?
    i know u included the murano, fx35 clone

The Murano and FX35 are not clones. They are based on totally different platforms.

Murano = Altima (FWD based)

FX35 (and FX45) = G35 (RWD based)

DaveM
    i sit corrected
    http://TheCarConnection.com/index.asp?article=7871&sid=178&am- p;am- p;n=158

or as Loosh might call them: "AutoEeek." :) However, if you click on them, they're larger.

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I am still of the opinion that the Chevy Equinox will be part of this mix, at least until I see the B9 in person.

John
    Equinox, nah, that'll compete with roomy compact SUVs like the Escape and CR-V. It's way too downscale to break into the $30s.

Just drove a Brazilian minivan, the Citroen Xsara Picasso, you want to talk about ugly...

-juice
    Just drove a Brazilian minivan, the Citroen Xsara Picasso, you want to talk about ugly...

Actually it's modern impressionistic.