Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I guess it's good to know you have excees capability at legal speeds, given how they behave at super-legal speeds.

To be honest I think 85 is plenty for US roads, there's no autobahn here.

-juice
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    I guess it's good to know you have excees capability at legal speeds, given how they behave at super-legal speeds. >>

Exactly. If the B9 is stable at 120 MPH, she's like a rock at normal speeds.

Robert B
    NY
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    When I bought my 05 OB last May (2004) the insurance company had to "guess" at the rate because it was so new. But after all the crash tests came out several months later, I got a rebate check from Met Life (a whopping $15.00, if I remember right). Not sure if it was because of the safe vehicle status, or other factors. Maybe the Tribeca's will have a similar rebate later, down the road...

Every little bit helps :D

-Karen in AZ-
    My last battery was an unselaed one, as well. Mechanics forgot to check it for several months until I inquired...guess the just assumed all are sealed, but not so.

-Karen-
    I chose the grey perforated leather because when you wear shorts, you don't stick to it as much when it's hot and humid (you still stick to it, but not as much :-)

In Arizona, it's pretty muggy and miserable from July until mid-September or so. My parents Park Avenue has the solid leather seats, and I have seriously lost a few layers of skin off the backs of my legs in their car more than once. Also, the AC vents on the Tribeca can point close to the thigh areas and help some.

I have seen the blue with the beige, and it is very attractive, as well, but very light in color, in my opinion. However, I decided I was tired of beige because it's harder to keep clean, and also since my last two vehicles had beige upholstery, and my new house has beige everything, too.

For comparison, I went to two different dealers...one had the grey leather in a silver (I think?), and I sat in it for a while in the heat just to see. Then I tried a black one with beige interior, and decided I thought it might be cooler, and I just liked it better with the blue...my 2-cents' worth only.

-Karen in AZ-
    I'm sitting here howling to myself, too...very funny, Robert!

-Karen-
    any other bulbs worth changing?

I mentioned a while back that I would like to have blue or white lights for the ambient floor lighting inside the vehicle. The amber just doesn't put out much light, and I think the blue or white (low wattage?) would be more helpful without being distracting.

Also, my dad thinks he read somewhere that flashing blue is reserved for police in most states (he is a retired law enforcement officer). I would check with your local police agency first before doing something that drastic (anything seen from the exterior, that is).

-Karen-
    There are two power outlets in the front console (one has my cell phone, one for my iPod). I have the fuzz buster in the dash up front that's connected with a 10-foot extension cord running under the floor mats to the third row rear outlet. Still have one more outlet free in the very back for a compressor, cooler, whatever.

Also, I had a champagne gold 05 OB (same exact color). It's a chameleon, turning silvery in overcast daylight, greenish under mercury or flourescent lighting at night, but is definitely a gorgeous light gold in bright sunlight. If you're on a budget, think "light beer" instead of "champagne" :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    The B9 does blow away the X5 3.0 but not the other models/engines (4.4, 4.6)

And what do you mean it doesnt blow away the Murano? in what aspect? because it did beat it pretty convincingly in handling tests.
    Spfotey, you came to the right place to research this vehicle, because you'll find lots of honest opinions and first-hand impressions. Take a few hours and persue through the past posts and you'll find TONS of stuff...too much to summarize briefly.

Also, check out the reviews links I have posted for some of the professional opinions not already found here. For the most part, you're gonna find that those of us here really, REALLY like this vehicle, but don't just take our word for it...do your homework first!

Best wishes...Karen
    I chose the grey perforated leather because when you wear shorts, you don't stick to it as much when it's hot and humid (you still stick to it, but not as much>>>

We went with the blue/tan combo. Today it hit 92 in NY and I was driving with AC off for a change, enjoying a blast of hot air and loud Pink Ployd.
    But....
    I was sweating....
    And wearing shorts.....
    I'm typing his message from my wireless because I'm unable to get out of the car.

Robert B
    NY
    I've only read that the B9 outhandled the Murano in R&T through the slalom. But I really don't think there's a giant difference with these smaller SUVs. The X5, Murano, Lexus RX330. Even the semi AWD MDX is a very good car in real world driving.
    I don't think any one car has a truly big advantage. It's become pretty subtle. Subaru will need a B9 STI for a bigger leap. That's not to say I don't prefer the B9. I bought one because the others bored me to tears.
    No will someone come over here and spray some Pam on my non-preforated tan seats so I can get some dinner?!

Robert B
    NY
    LOL

Let's not put Karen on the color naming panel. ;)

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    thats some estate! with roads long enough to hit 120 mph! must be nice area. I could see driving a 100 mph on the thruway for a short period of time to pass a bunch of trucks throwing rocks ect.... or to get some distance between a tailgaiter and you ;)

so a B9XT would be a great addition it sounds like. I am guessing the 18in wheels help in the stability. but the mpg probably dropped pretty quick at 100+ mph.
    I could see driving a 100 mph on the thruway for a short period of time to pass a bunch of trucks throwing rocks ect.... or to get some distance between a tailgaiter and you >>

True, but we're not allowed to discuss the B9's abilities in real world driving here. Violation of Edmund's charter. Naturally there are situations where exceeding the speed limit can save your life. I know it's saved mine. Just recently a 18 wheel truck started to slide into my lane and didn't see me. I was doing around 70 and was well boxed in. If I'd obeyed the law I'd be dead. If a car is capable of higher speeds and handling at thoise speeds I see it as a major safety factor. The faster, better handling car in skilled hands is the safer car because of what it can avoid.
    I don't want to test a crash rating, which is the very last line of defense.

Robert B
    NY
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    hmm....you guys serious about sticking to the seat? :)

In my case, we already have 2 silver cars both with black interior. The suv will be our third car. We do have to consider the fact that the perforated seats will probably absorb spilled liquids by kids.

I test drove a silver/grey tribeca 5 seater, and I did like the interior. But most likely we will go with the beige as a change and for child-proofness.

thx for the feedback....
    For all the owners out there, can you post what you think are the must haves as far as options go and why?

Definitely getting a limited version, and leaning towards 7 seater right now.

as far as the nav and dvd go, can you guys post what the main difference would be if I just get after market units? which is the way I am leaning right now to save $.

I have nav on my Infiniti G35, so I'd appreciate any comparison between the stock nav and Inifinit's system.
    How much are dealer maintenance visits for the Tribeca?
    -Let's not put Karen on the color naming panel.

My dad always said he had champagne taste on a beer budget :-)

-Karen
    as far as the nav and dvd go, can you guys post what the main difference would be if I just get after market units? which is the way I am leaning right now to save $.>>>

You'll get more for your money with an aftermarket DVD system for certain. The stock unit is worth about 700 dollars. If you need the nav, get it because it's integrated and well done.
    Here's an example of what you can do with aftermarket DVD in the Tribeca...

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/mvideo.jpg

Robert B
    5 Pass. Limited
    NY
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    sorry it took me until tonight to get back to you the unit is xpower by xantrex it is the pocket inverter 100...and as I said it powered the x box for a long long time w/o fail
  • philhedmundsphilhedmunds Member Posts: 14
    We have a Tribeca for a 24 hour test drive today. Driving it last night I already noticed a problem that I hadn't noticed on my initial quick test drive...the visibility problems backing up. I don't think I ever had to back up at all on my first test drive, and as soon as I started backing up I was immediately reminded about people's concerns here.

Oh, I still don't know which issue of R&T you guys are referring to that had a comparison test with a Tribeca, Murano, X5 etc. I subscribe to R&T and I don't see it. :confuse:
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=106768#11

Nothing really new here. They say pretty much what everyone has been saying all along.

Bob
    coming from driving a Pacifica, last night I had to parallel park the B9 in the city and it was a piece of cake. with the pac, I had to go on instinct and the fish eye mirrors I put on and sometimes even get out and look...

With the B9, I put it within 6 inches of the curve easy in one try :) True, you can't see whats bellow the back end but the B9 is a smaller SUV so its pretty manuverable. All you need to know is a feel for how far the tail end actually is when viewing stuff in your rear view mirrors. I think you will have this problem in all mid or large SUVs with being able to see with the back window.
    a couple of the gripes they had in the review were incorrect. This just points out that the B9 takes some getting used to the ergonomics of the system display. its not the most user friendly system. makes me wonder what user testing they did before approving the NAV and Information Screen layouts.

they said no fuel range is seen on the trip screen. it is available but it is shown on the fuel pump screen ...

also they say they dont see the radio when changing stations, I see mine on the screen. not sure what page they were on. but one thing would be nice is they had the type of radio that reads the id info broadcast. *(ie. the mopar systems show the song playing and the radio station name if it broadcast - which most of the stations do in Pittsburgh).
    They should move those two items out of the NAVI screen, and on to the panel that surrounds that screen. With the map being displayed, you don't get the temp gauge. Besides, even when both items are displayed they are hard to see because they are buried among all the other stuff that's being displayed. That's bad design, no ifs-ands-or-buts about it. :(

Bob
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Just back from a trip from PA to Syracuse... Drove into my driveway late last night having driven 210 miles on the current tank of mid grade 89 octane, getting 24 MPG displayed on the INFO screen with 170 left on the range calculation on the same screen. If only I had disconnected that LED I'll bet I could have gotten 25! :)
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    1.without the NAV do you still get a temp gauge and compass ?? is the auto dimming mirror like the one in the WRX- has a compass?

2.anyone with a portable GPS have problems with signal reception in the Tribeca?? I don;t want to have to use an external antenna like I do in some of my other cars if I decide not to get the NAV and use my magellan in it.

3. the tire pressure monitor system, does that mean if you mount a new tire it needs adjusting and does that mean only the dealer can do it?? I tend to use winter tires on all my cars (and for all those who say why on an AWD, let me just say that when I had two AWD 92 legacies and one had regular all seasons and the other winter tires, you could definitely tell the difference and I have had winter tires for all my subarus since) , can you use wheels without the monitor or will they mess something up besides setting off some dash light?

have called IMBA for my VIP letter and will get an atlantic blue with the grey seats, only issues remaining are NAV (and Ltd - I hate leather - memories of my dads car in hawaii are forever burned into the bottoms of my thighs and just visiting him in FL recently, leather still gets too hot in the sun for my delicate skin!!!)
    Here's a few comments from the first 12 hours of our 24 hour test drive...

The road to the dealership is a nice curvy back road and I had a nice time cruising back on it. I like the smooth power of the 6 cylinder, even if it does seem to rev higher than what you'd expect from an "SUV" powerplant.

I love the size of the Tribeca more than anything. It's big enough to squeeze in a useful third row (useful for kids mostly, but still useful as I happen to have two kids), but small enough to be manageable to drive on a daily basis. I parked in our two car garage last night and was somewhat suprised how easily it fit. There was even room to open all the doors without worrying about door dings on my car.

My biggest job last night was strapping in the two car seats so my wife could tote around the kids today. The only problem was that after I strapped them in to the two outboard positions in the second row, there's no real way to get to the third row. My wife is driving my parents around with the kids today and it would have been nice to have access to the third row.

You can slide the 40% section forward without tilting the backrest, but that only gives you about 8" of room to try and squeeze into the third row. My 6 year old could do it, I guess, but her carseat is already in the second row. I suppose if you were planning on using the third row more often and you have two car seats, it may be a good idea to put one carseat in the third row to free up the tilt/slide mechanism on the second row seat. Any thoughts on this? (other than...if we want to use the third row a lot, that we should buy a minivan)

Oh, is the seatbelt for the middle position in the second row really in the ceiling? That thing seems to be a pain to use!

My wife was impressed with the interior of the Tribeca Limited and thought it was luxurious. However, she felt the leather with her hand and said, "is this real leather? it feels like the leatherette in your 3 Series". Well, IMO that's more of a comment on the quality of the leatherette in BMWs than a strike against Subaru, but whatever...

She looked at the headlight detail when walking around the car and thought all the chrome / bright accents were "a bit much". For some reason, she hasn't even mentioned the grille yet, and we both generally agree the Tribeca is a good looking car.

She kept comparing the silver interior trim with our stainless steel appliances. I take that to be a good sign. She likes her stainless steel appliances. :)

We really wish it came with memory seats and mirrors. She is 5'1" and I'm 6'0" and it's a pain to have to adjust everything manually every time we switch cars (which is almost every other day).

From my impressions so far, there's no way I'm going to me more impressed with the Acura MDX I plan to test drive on Saturday. I think it will feel like a bigger SUV than we need and the styling is nowhere near as interesting at this point. Even though we were planning on waiting until early 2006 to buy, I'm feeling like I want to start negotiating with Subaru dealers now!
    "without the NAV do you still get a temp gauge and compass ?? is the auto dimming mirror like the one in the WRX- has a compass?"

The Tribeca we have for our 24 hour test drive does not have nav, and it shows the outside temp on the central display. It also has an autodimming mirror that has a compass in it.
    1.without the NAV do you still get a temp gauge and compass ??

You get the temp gauge. I believe the rearview mirror compass is an option on all Tribecas.

Bob
    I think it's OK even with kids, you should use a towel or some sort of liner under the child safety seat anyway.

Backing up - make you make use of those big side mirrors. Also consider one of those stick-on fish-eye lens things that help you see behind the car. Our shuttle here at work has one and you can see directly behind it, it's pretty neat. CR even tested one and found it was effective.

I think a backup camera or sonar sensor should be the first thing they add for MY2007.

Having said that I still managed to parallel park it a couple of times, no problem. I'm tall though, and I used to valet park for a couple of years in college so I got pretty good at parking big cars in tight spots. ;)

-juice
    C'mon Edmunds, you know better!

short legroom of the second row was disappointing. It seems the second row was shoved a few inches forward to make room for the basically useless third row

They missed the release latch as well, just like Motorweek.

The seat goes all the way back, another 4", if you hit the release. The 2nd row basically comes in contact with the 3rd row. 2nd row legroom is plentiful!

Ugh.

-juice
    doesn't have a fuel-range feature

Is that right? I don't recall specifically but there are several screens for fuel matters and I'm sure this is on one of them. Can someone check that?

map screen never displays a clock or the radio station you're listening to

False. I proved that earlier and even provided a photo.

Here is their back seat pic - this seat is *NOT* all the way back.

Navigation system works well, but the system talks to you with a male British accent. Most systems have a more soothing female voice.

Wrong again. How could they miss Becky? She's awesome!

Disappointing inaccuracies, they're usually a lot better than this. :cry:

-juice
    I just got a call from my wife who took her first shopping trip in the Tribeca on our 24 hour test drive. Two different men who were unloading a truck at a Dunkin Donuts came up to her and asked her about it. They said wanted to know how much it cost, if it really was a Subaru (since it looked like a Lexus to them) and they seemed disappointed when they heard it was a little over $30k.

She also said she likes it and doesn't want to give it back. Sounds like a good start. ;)
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=106768#11

Nothing really new here. They say pretty much what everyone has been saying all along.

I think we owe it to Subaru and to Edmunds to write/email the author(s) of this review with our corrections. It's not that I don't agree with most of what was said, but they certainly missed a couple of important facts (the sliding seat is NOT that hard to figure out, people! Plainly visible bright orange handle? Now THAT'S ugly!).

There were a couple of typos, too, which is pretty inexcusable, IMO. (Can you tell I'm a teacher?)

-Karen in AZ-
    I just got a call from my wife who took her first shopping trip in the Tribeca on our 24 hour test drive. Two different men who were unloading a truck at a Dunkin Donuts came up to her and asked her about it.

Hmmm......maybe Subaru could strike a deal with Dunkin Donuts....free food for buyers for the length of the warranty? And maybe then Starbucks? Target? Discount Tire? Oh, the possibilities!

Good luck, Phil! Sounds like a winner!

-Karen-
    Just heard from a Subie dealer over at nabisco, that SOA may be releasing a 5-passenger Tribeca with NAVI in a few months. He heard it from a district rep. Hope this is true.

Quote:

Well, they made mention to the very good possiblility when I we went to the initial training session for the Tribeca's, but now that the Tribeca is selling well, they've decided to add the Navigation to the 5-Passengers as well, however not the DVD or 3rd Row, A/C.... Anyways, the boss and a couple people from SOA were having a conversation here a few weeks ago (I guess to discuss the new dealership) and I happened to be demo-ing a Tribeca in front of them to a customer who had asked about whether or not they could get the navigation in a 5-Passenger and I, at the time said no. Needless to say, one of the guys from the office turned to us and said that it would be available in the 5-Passenger in a few months if she absolutely wanted a 5-Passenger Tribeca..... So that's my experience.....

Now, my sales rep also says the same thing, but we all know that's hearsay sometimes, but I don't see them lying or making up a story, especially in front of a customer, like that....

Bob
  • onestaronestar Member Posts: 14
    $2000 (approx.) for the stock NAV???? NOT WORTH IT.

Buy yourselves the magellan 760 (I think) for $1200 (approx.) and have the ability to transfer it from auto to auto. The new magellan even has a feature that detects traffic jams and re-routes you around it.
    Good point, but to be honest the corrections would require a re-write. The text and even the photo captions contain the mistakes.

NAV: OE systems will mute the stereo during commands, there are advantages to a built-in system (like not being a target for thieves).

I went portable, but there are trade-offs either way.

Panasonic makes some double-DIN models that would fit some cars in the dash, but not the Tribeca. The one that handles traffic data is $1600 plus install is $250 IIRC. So price becomes a wash.

One nice thing is you can add a rear view camera to the Panasonic systems for $200 more plus labor.

-juice
    Did you get your portable NAVI yet? And if so, are you happy with it?

Bob
    She's looking for someone that bought a car because they liked its style, anyone here interested in getting quoted in a major magazine/newspaper?

prlady1, "Talk to the Press" #919, 11 Aug 2005 5:26 pm

It's how my family ended up on the front page of the Cars section of the NY Times. Jeannine is awesome. :D

-juice
    Not yet. I'm really hoping it arrives today or early tomorrow, because we go on a road trip (beach again) Sat. night.

There is a bypass around a small town that is brand new, I'm curious to see how up-to-date the Garmin data is. That's one thing the Tribeca's NAV did not catch, though it did send us on an alternate route that worked fine.

I want it soon so I can compare results, basically. I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

-juice
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Is that right? I don't recall specifically but there are several screens for fuel matters and I'm sure this is on one of them. Can someone check that?

If you have NAV it is on the info screen when you choose the first display option that shows average MPG and above that a constantly moving bar displaying real time MPG. Below those two bars is the range indicator.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Right on Bob.

I never felt safer than when I was in my 2001 BMW M5. There were many situations where I avoided trouble because of the cars unbelievable power and handling.

Also by pushing a vehicle to its limits - as I believe you stated - your learn what the car can and more importantly can not do in emergency situations.

Whenever I get a new car, I take it out a shopping mall or other area with a large parking lot after the first real snow of the season. I go late at night or very early when the lot is empty, and deliberately throw it into sides and skids so I can safely learn what to expect in the real world.

Years ago when I purchased my fist SUV (Grand Cherokee) I learned an important lesson that was invaluable. Never having had a 4X4 before I thought they could do almost anything well on snow and ice.

The lesson learned was that a good one can accelerate so much better than a sedan but was quite surprised when I found that they can not stop any faster. Knowing that saved my life once. Those lessons should not be learned on the street.
    Thanks, I thought I saw that somewhere.

The review seemed fair and balanced but it had too many factual errors. I'm surprised, too, because I pointed out at least one mistake to Karl about a month ago.

-juice
    Regarding temperature display, I would prefer a ice message light up on either side of the display with a one time chime to alert the driver.

Knowing what the temp is in real time is of no real real value - but the driver needs to know if the roads are possibly icing up.

There is enough clutter on the screen as it is.

Need to know info is more important than "hey look at all the unnecessary crap on my screen".
    At least it has a VDC indicator when that comes on.

-juice
    That's certainly true - but when the VDC indicator comes on you are already driving past the safe limits of the vehicle or road conditions.

VDC can not save you on black ice if you go flying into it (and I do not mean speeding) on say a turn. No grip is no grip. Subarus may be great but they can not deploy cleats or spikes when they encounter ice. The tire is the wink link there and if it can not grip the ice - thats it - game over - you crash.
    A chime is a good idea, but I still want the temp readout too.

Bob