Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've wonder the same. I suspect it has to do more with image than anything. As good as the 2.5 turbo is, it's still a 4-cylinder engine. Most upscale customers want 6 (or 8) cylinder engines.

Bob
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Remember those who usually buy BMWs are not likely to even think of Subarus, free loaner or not.

So since I drive a BMW I shouldn't even consider a Subaru?

Remember I said "usually" and "not likely", not "all of them". ;) Surely most BMW owners I met don't even like the mention of Subaru name.
    Of couse, every Subaru ('96 and later models) has this feature. It is right next to door lock button. However, when engaged, not even the driver can operate rear and passenger windows.
    Most upscale customers want 6 (or 8) cylinder engines.

That and the fact that 3.0 H-6 is more smooth than 2.5T H-4 in power delivery because all turbo charged cars have turbo lags. You step on gas, not all the power are available in first couple seconds. The car feels very slow then suddenly, turbo kicks in, the car surges ahead. It's fine for a sports car but not ideal for the class Tribeca tries to be in.

Besides, you will need to put an ugly scope on the hood for IC cooling. Not that I'll complain ;) I DO hope SOA put in something like 3.0 Turbo H-6 in the near future. But forget about it ever happening in MY 2006.
    Turbo lag on the 2.5 XT? It's almost a non-issue, as it is so slight. There is far more power down low than there is with the current H-6.

Bob
    That might be the case with Legacy/OB because of light weight compared to Tribeca. The off-boost 2.5 Engine has enough low end torque to propell the weight on Legacy/OB so that you don't really feel the turbo lag. However, I suspect when applied to Tribeca it will not be the case. It could be similar to the 2.0 Turbo on my WRX.
    I doubt it. The power is either there or it isn't. That's no the case with the 2.0 WRX. There is just no power below 3000 rpm with the 2.0 engine, and that's not the case with the 2.5 turbo.

Sure, the 500 or so pounds extra weight will have some impact, just as it does with the 3.0 H-6.

Bob
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    "Evil coproration" was a figurative speach, of course. I didn't mean literally you said that. I just bent your point that if somebody sells warranties, they must be making on them, therefore it must be a scam.

Again, one guy collecting with five paying still may be worth it, if say the car is one year out of warranty (still running allright) and out of the blue the transmission blows up. Or turbo, or engine, or AC system or all of them within say 12 month period. Now we talking not $1000, but more like $5000 plus. Unlikeley to happen? Sure. Impossible? I think not. Some people (you I presume) would rather save money, others would rather pay upfront. Remember that most of people can't save a penny, but have enough responsibility to pay their bills on time, therefore rolling the warranty into the car loan, as much as ripoff it may be, still makes sense for some.

Those risk management products are a tricky business - we buy them and actually hope we won't collect (i.e. nothing bad happens). On the other hand, if nothing bad happens, we lost the money and feel like suckers, because the other guy (and the facilitator, of course) collected, not us. And we wish we had that money. Looks like lose-lose. Of course, until the engine blows up at 50K miles...

I think it all boils up to two things: probability and price.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    A 3.0 H6 turbo would be NICE :shades: even a stage 1 would be good to boost up the torque. Just imagine how much more u can have with 3.0L!

Turbo lag.... well, I have a 1.6L turboPassat. Turbo kicks in at about 1700 rpm, and of course, higher rpm, more presure :) . I don't really notice the lag unless I m at a standstill. If VW can do it, Subaru can it too.
    Turbo lag.... well, I have a 1.6L turboPassat. Turbo kicks in at about 1700 rpm, and of course, higher rpm, more presure . I don't really notice the lag unless I m at a standstill. If VW can do it, Subaru can it too.

For low PSI turbo, the lag is less noticeable. Of course, the lag I'm talking about is from stand still.
  • richhinghamrichhingham Member Posts: 1
    As a new Massachusetts resident, I am faced with the additional responsibilty of bringing my trash to the transfer station. As I have zero desire to put it inside our new Tribeca, or in my Outback, are there any trailer manufacturers that anyone can suggest?

It should be ultra-light duty (200 or 300 lbs at most) and could be as small as 3' x 4', and as large as 4' x 6.

I already have had the 1.25" trailer hitch kit put on our Tribeca.-

Thanks
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    All the recent Subarus provide a switch on the driver's door that allows you to turn off window power to the passenger door and rear doors. On my OB XT, it even turns off the little light on the power window button of those doors! I am sure the Tribeca is the same way. Even my 2000 Outback had this feature.

Craig
    Since the 2.5 H4 turbo has virtually no lag, it would seem like a better choice for a larger vehicle given the copious amounts of torque at low RPM. But I think the frenetic behavior under boost would be out of place for a vehicle like the Tribeca. The H6 is probably more suited to this kind of vehicle due to its relaxed, predictable, linear power delivery. That said, a Tribeca XT would undoubtedly be a lot more fun :-).

It's the same difference in the Outback models -- the H6 models are smooth and linear, with decent power -- certainly not slouches. But the turbo models are hot rods!

Craig
    My dad used to sell utlility trailers when he had a boat shop many years ago in NW Connecticut. There were a few companies in that area that made trailers locally, and sold in the CT / Western Mass area. Two I remember were Eagle and TrailFlite. Back in the early 90s, you could get decent utility trailers for $300-500. I am sure the prices have gone up. If I remember right, there was not much cost savings with smaller trailers (ie, same axles, lights, and other gear, same number of welds, just a little more material), so the popular model was a 4x8. We sold dozens of them every year, in red and green!

I have seen utility trailers at Lowes and Home Depot recently (live in Virginia now) and they are in the $700-900 range and higher. Unfortunately, they are not made as well as I remember from the old days.

I would look around for a local dealer, who is likely to carry regional-made trailers. Also, ask around amongst neighbors/friends and see what other people have.

Craig
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    well I guess you will read those tags before you remove them next time ;) (unless the dealer removed them!) the tag that was on the back or my seats told you how to move the seat all the way back with a little diagram.

at least its not like matresses and removing the tag ...
    My reason I buy them is 1. on resale I have something to give with the used vehicle to the private buyer. its a marketing tool. they get a vehicle with a 10k warranty zero deductible. so if anything is majorly wrong :sick: they can get it fixed.

2. I dont sweat the small stuff when I am out of the 36k factory warranty. I don't care what the details of the repair bill and if I am over charged... as I have a zero deductible warranty. I just drop off and pick up fixed :D

I bought the 4 yr / 60k mileage zero deductible for $600 ($800 was the MSRP). that is the GOLD bumper to bumper warranty.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    aren't most of these for Euro cars 1 oil change per year or whenever the change oil light shows up, which is frequently over 10K these days, dunno about BMW but MB will not pay for a 3K or even 5K oil change unless your light is on or its been a year!
  • drjochen1drjochen1 Member Posts: 5
    Well, we have a BMW 545i and a B9 Tribeca...
    Subaru has reached a point where I like to drive them.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    The BMW program covers all maintenence and repairs. That includes brakes, batteries, wiper blades and anything else that brakes on the vehicle.

Tires are not included
  • newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    I too own a VW Passat and am planning on getting a champagne B9 sometime next year. After my service(?) experience today at the VW dealer, I'm hoping to bump up that purchase sooner (7:30am appt for 70K mile svc, still not started at noon, told techs were going to lunch, picked it up unserviced) :(
    I can't wait to hear how you like your Tribeca once it's delivered.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    So since I drive a BMW I shouldn't even consider a Subaru?

Certianly not. I think that comment from foxbat was a gross generalization. In general I think he is right. Subaru is not a brand that BMW drivers are likely to look at although the B9 seems to have finally drawn thier attention. I've come out of a 3 Saabs to the B9 and am very happy I did.
    So there I was crusin on the highway and noticed I was getting 24 MGP again on this trip and my range indicator said 40 miles. I got on the cell phone (hands free of course) and before I knew it I had gone at least 40 miles and had forgotten to keep an eye on the guages. Next thing I see is three dashes and no numbers on the range indicator... :blush: Not a station in sight! I travel 20 more miles praying the whole way till I see a sign for gas. I pull in and fill er up. It took 15.1 gallons. The moral of the story is that even when the range indicator is at zero you still have about 40 miles or so left. Good to know. Glad I did not run out!
    As former BMW M5 owner I have found that Bimmer owners fall into 2 general categories: First their are those like me that love good handling fun to drive cars - then there are those that buy them because they are status symbol and having one make you cool & hip. That second group are most likely to ever consider a Subaru of any kind.

First first group (the drivers) I believe would consider a B9 especially if SOA could get them to drive a Becca. Anyone who knows cars will see that compared to the X3 & X5 3.0 - the Becca is a real competitor.
  • oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    I know I can put a fish-eye lens on the rear windshield or install sonar backup sensors to help seeing or detecting the car behind while backing up the Tribeca. Does anyone know whether there is any video monitoring system available aftermarket that can be installed in a Tribeca? I heard that some minivans have video monitoring systems to help the drivers see what is behind better. The rear view is the main reason I am leaning toward buying a Highlander rather than Tribeca.
    did the gas meter change color? I noticed that the very very last marker block next to Empty on the gas gauge is clear. why isn't it RED like all other cars?
    did the gas meter change color? I noticed that the very very last marker block next to Empty on the gas gauge is clear. why isn't it RED like all other cars?

No not that I remember.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Unless you really need a utility trailer for other reasons, you may be better off with a hitch hauler - a metal platform that fits into your receiver. You can find them for under $100 pretty easily. No license or registration hassles and storage is easy.
    When you are down to to about 2 gallons of gas, a warning message about LOW FUEL appears on the display.
    There were several posts about this subject some 5 weeks ago.

As some one who has had both sonar & video systems in past cars, I found the sonar to be much better and more accurate and safer than video.

If you live in the snow belt as I do, there are times when the video is useless because of snow or ice blocking the camera's view. Sonar is imperious to weather.

Also, with sonar, you do not have to watch the screen and are free to watch the sides and front end when parallel parking.
    Yeah I have witness that before ;) and then the yellow fuel warning light in the central area of the dash (the area around the trip odometer reset button).

just did not get it low enough to hit the bottom of the fuel guage... was strange that the last notch on the fuel guage is clear.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ... was strange that the last notch on the fuel guage is clear.

Just like the space in the gas tank where the fuel shoul be!!
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    Why is subaru's new car warranty much shorter in duration than other manufacturers?
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Why is subaru's new car warranty much shorter in duration than other manufacturers?

You mean 3 years like Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Mercury, Toyota, Nissan etc.,etc.? The extra years (usually one to make 4) are on makes that charge for the extra year in the price OR are desperate to improve their reputations like Hyundai was at one time.

If you intend to keep your Subaru a long time, you can get the excellent Subaru Gold warranty to double the coverage period as I did. The price of the warranty plus the Subaru is still less than competing all wheel drive vehicles.
    Dave,

how much did you pay for your Gold Ext Warranty (I know this probably should go in the prices paid forum)... and which deductable/mileage/years did you pick?
    When you are down to to about 2 gallons of gas, a warning message about LOW FUEL appears on the display.

Yup, saw it... then forgot about it! :surprise:
    I can't wait either..... I guess the only thing I can do now is cleaning out the garage in the mean time. :cry: Not fun :cry::cry:
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    I cant believe it, but its true. Was sitting at a light when a suv driven by a kid on a cell phone side swiped a car and pushed that car into me. Smashed my entire drivers side, broke out the glass, but no air bags?! To make a long story short towed the car by aaa to body shop, where the guy was great. Already had parts on the way tonight..but not a very good day. oh and by the way, when the officer spoke to the kid about his driving he would not say he was sorry, would not say he was on the phone, just said "wow that was intense" Think i win the title for first damaged car..
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    oh no? I had nightmares about crashing my Satin White Pearl beca.

Really sorry to hear about it and it is a shame. How did she hold up in the crash?
    One commercial run over and over for the past month does not consitute a television advertising campaign. Please spend a little money and create a second ad - without "Dust in the Wind".

Thank You.
    Please spend a little money and create a second ad - without "Dust in the Wind".

How about using the song, "another one bites the dust" by Queen :P
    So sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you are okay.
    How about using the song, "another one bites the dust" by Queen

It would work for me.
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for your concerns! Im ok, a little sore is all. The car is a wreck, but repairable. But you know what happens when your car is wrecked..its never the same.....
    Thanks you to whoever placed a post recently that there are great prices to be had on line for Becca accessories.

Here is a copy of my recent order from SubaruPartsForYou

Order Receipt
    Please print or save this as your receipt.
    Order date: 8/18/2005. EmailOrder_
    Thank you for your order.

Product Name Qty Item# Ship Method Unit Price
    CARGO TRAY FOR
    TRIBECA REAR 5
    PASSENGER VEHICLES I
    N GRAY 1 J501SXA000MW UPS Ground $59.00

ENGINE BLOCK
    HEATER WITH
    INSTRUCTIONS 1 A0910AS100 UPS Ground $22.00

SPLASH GUARD
    SET OF 4 IN BLACK
    PLASTIC FOR
    TRIBECA B9 1 J101SXA000 UPS $79.00
    Shipping & Handling: $13.02

Grand Total: $173.02

I estimate that I saved about $60 plus compared to my dealer & my savings is based on my dealer giving me a 10% discount. The savings without the discount would have been closer to $75 or $80. I paid $13.00 for shipping but that is less than Chicago's 9% sales tax.

Thanks again whoever you are:-)
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    . . . to see my first Tribeca on the road. And believe me, I'm looking hard for them, almost to the point of distraction, and I've driven about 200 mi/week the last couple months.

I'm especially surprised because there are absolutely tons of Subarus where I live (NYC). You can't go half a block on the Upper West Side or brownstone Brooklyn or SW CT w/o running into multiple Foresters and Outbacks. I know it's a new product and expectations are low and dealers are probably easing into it, but still . . . not one?

Take it for what it's worth.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Subaru warranty is 3/36 bumper to bumper but 5/60 on powertrain. i think its a toss up as to whether thats worse or better than a 4/48 bumper to bumper.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I took a 6 year warranty and believe the miles are 100k, but for me the miles would never reach that. If I remember correctly, I paid $900 in November of 2004. The minimum premium for a much smaller Audi A4 quattro over the H6 3.0R wagon with similar equipment was at least $5k.
    There are over a million of Legacies sold in USA. But only around 5,000 Tribecas sold nation wide so far. You do the math.
    So you want to see 1 on the road.... Til til Sept when my arrives from Ind. :shades: