Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " You want a big nose, look at the SLR. SLK to a lesser extent.

Portugues would actually be "Nariz".

-juice "

---end quote---

Ah, the SLK, a truly beautiful car. Excellence in design. A nose done right!
    -Loren
  • nhstevenhsteve Member Posts: 79
    The factory hitch is greeat and neatly installed into the lower part of the bumper. I will try to get a pciture posted later this week. I would get the trailer hitch and a hitch bike rack. DOn't let that stop you from owning a B9. I love mine, my 6th Subaru.

Steve
  • papahawkpapahawk Member Posts: 24
    Just wanted to give a real-life towing account, since I just completed a move from Upstate New York to the southern beaches of Rhode Island. I towed an average of 3000 to 4000 pounds across very hilly terrain without any difficulty at all during my three trips. I have the factory installed towing package and I was VERY pleased with the way the Tribeca performed. Gas mileage was consistently 16.1 MPG with that heavy load in tow! I traveled a total of 1200 miles, and I do not have a single complaint. This Subaru can definitely "work" for a living!
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    found the plate, it sorta blends with the silver paint on my car!

will have to check out some other Tribecas in the dealers lot re pink fasteners
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    bt2: You can find Karen's most recent post (#5426) on p272. Click on her underlined name in the message title and you'll view her Member Profile, which includes her webpage address.

Happy clicking! :)
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    The hitch is not the deal breaker. The rear camera or proximity sensor is.

Would be perfect if a could connect a rear camera directly to the display in the console and make it switch the rear camera automatically when in reverse.
    I have to get a solution for this before buying the Tribeca.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I have to get a solution for this before buying the Tribeca.

While all of us owners have mentioned the limited vision out the back none have gone on to find it is an issue. I have checked with my accesories shop and for abou $250.00 installed you can get sonar sensors. Someone else posted a site that has another device which can be found here. http://www.reverselogic.us/ I think to have this a deal breaker if you love everything else about the car is a shame. What else are you comparing it too? Most other vehicles I tested that are in this catagory have the same or similar issue.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I transport my bikes w/ roof rack, I bring an old milk crate to stand on ...
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi,
    Has anyone installed the hitch from Uhaul on their B9 yet ? We ordered our B9 without the hitch anticipating that the bikes would go on the roof. After much discussion on mpg the Thule trailer hitch unit makes more sense but the dealer wants a small fortune for putting them on (which they have not yet installed on a B9).

Any thoughts or ideas ? The unit is strictly a bolt on unit so it should not be a big deal.

Thanks, Steve.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    note the factory hitch includes an oil cooler to increase the tow rating...
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Can anyone tell me where to find instructions for posting photo's.

Nothing I have tried works on Edmunds

Thanks
    John - Chicago
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you want a low roof, Forester serves that need perfectly.

But I'd recommend a hitch-mounted bike rack, barely any lifting at all required. Mine could not be easier, and it tilts out of the way to open the hatch.

papahawk: 16.1mpg with a load that big is *amazing*. I got 17.3mpg in my Forester towing just 1500 pounds. Thanks for sharing that.

If you get the UHaul hitch the ratings are a lot lower, wasn't it 1500 lbs IIRC?

-juice
    Find a host, I use ImageStations but I've heard Photo Bucket is even easier. Then get the url and paste is here as a link.

If you look at the first post in the Subaru Crew - Photos thread, there are more detailed instructions.

-juice
  • wvroadswvroads Member Posts: 23
    I didn't bookmark the new thread on "problems and/or troubles" and I would like to keep up with any issues others are having.
    My airbag light went on over three weeks ago and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my dealer said it was the airbag module and that they will call when it is in. Well, I am still waiting. They said it was on backorder and that SOA didn't expect any failures so soon. At least it is still drivable, but maybe not so safe???? I am concerned that Subaru is unable to support the Tribecas that have been sold.

Anything similar happened to anyone?

Dave
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Juice,
    It's the 2000lb rated unit. Only looking to do the bikes, skis etc. Not the boats.
    That is tall! Does it telescope up?

I have the OE hitch and bike rack, it's much lower. Here are some pics.

-juice
    Goto the left on the messageboard under "Browse by Vehicle" Select Subaru then under that Select B9 :)

it should list all the B9 related messageboards
    thanks for posting. that mount stick outs farther then I thought it would. Does it have the quick locking type straps to hold the bikes to the frames?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Subaru to Build Legacy-Based Minivan (Inside Line)

Now if this rumor came to pass and there'd be a Madza5 type of minivan from Subbie, I'd have to take a good look at it. It'll probably never make it to the States though.

Steve, Host
    So Edmunds confirms it.

I expect it to be bigger than the Mazda5, which is 3 based. The Legacy is bit bigger. But a 2.5l means it probably won't be too big.

Correction to the article - it's H6, not V6! :mad:

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    "no plans to sell a minivan in US"? I wish we could get the real scoop. Is it yes, or is it no? Contradictions. Maybe they are suggesting that it isn't a "mini-van" like the Mazda 5 claims it isn't a "mini-van".

However, I disagree with Edmunds that this is an "already crowded market place" if it is an AWD vanlet 7 seater.

With a 2.5 liter NA boxer engine, this will have to be about a 3300 lb vehicle or less. If it is built on the Legacy chassis, that tends to confirm the direction being taken.

I for one would welcome a smaller minivan that gets 30 mpg. Give it a 5 speed, AWD, and rear ac with a $22k price tag and I am mostly there.

John
    It would be tough to keep it that light. The Legacy is already there, and you have to add a 3rd row. Same with price, it would have to go up.

Figure it would end up about half way between a Legacy and a Tribeca, in both weight and price.

Subaru will probably wait to see how well the Mazda5 sells. It started off very well, but volume is so low it's hard to conclude anything from that.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I know its tough to satisfy all the criteria.

But Subaru needs to set and reach lofty, hard to reach goals on this one or it will just be another in a crowd.

John
    One is a biggie - they claim premium is required, we've proven it's not (check the manual).

This just makes me shake my head...

the Outback does much of what the Tribeca can do, just a little less noticeably–and for about $6,000 less

Very, very wrong. The 2005 Outback VDC cost $1150 more than a Tribeca 5-pass Limited, which has equivalent equipment levels. :mad:

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    copycat of the Murano? nah, I do agree it is probably the closest thing to it here in America but most ppl think the Tribeca is better looking then the Murano.

Now, as someone else said if you said Alfa Romeo then their would be no arguement. In fact I brought it up earlier in the thread and posted links/pics of the Alfa Romeo 147 in particular which though hatchback car is very very similiar from the side and especially back (same tail lights) as the Tribeca.

But as that car or Alfa Romeo are not in the U.S. and they dont have any suv at all besides a concept it makes it pretty cool for the B9 to look like one and I tell ppl all the time for the first 2 months before anyone knew what it was that it was an Alfa Romeo SUV. I even took the Subaru lettering off and though about putting an Alfa badge and lettering in its place. :P
    The hitch is Saris T Rex, I just converted it to a 11/2 inch receiver which is what comes on Subarus.

The arm is quite long, I am going to cut it down so it sits closer to the bumper.

It has heavy rubber bands that hold the bikes down & a lower sections that grabs the vertical tube to keep the bike from swinging.

It a good rack but there are better one available - but since I owned it it was much cheaper to convert it than to buy a new one.
    I haven't seen hardly any Tribecas just a glimpse of one or 2 and none really in Satin White Pearl like mine and definately none with the desert beige leather and matching pin stripe plus, nav, dvd, splash guards, front bumper under guard , hood protector , rear bumper cover, moon roof air deflector and front windows tinted to match the back and the Subaru lettering removed.

Speaking black and white though, all the black accessories really look cool contrasting the satin white pearl and with the silver accents like door handles nad front grill adds a nice touch. I love the white, beige and black combo though as beige/tan goes well with both.

anyway I was driving my satin white pearl beca behind a shiny black pick up truck in traffic and just admiring the reflectionf of my satin white pearl beca in the back of the pick up truck. It was like the perfect size to see the whole car and though distorted it made beca look even lower, wider and more aggressive in the reflecton and was cool. The front bumper underguard acts as an accent underlining the front bumper and grille area and the hood protector adds a sporty and more aggressive look to the front end.
    I know how you feel. I had been waiting for the B9 Tribeca since April and preordered way in advance only to have mine not come with puddle lights and then I had to scramble around searching for one that had everything I wanted (colors and options that couldn't be added later). I almost had to give up and would have to re order and might still be waiting like you but I was lucky to find one with everything I wanted except it had dvd which I iniitialy didn't think I needed.

I was glas i had to take one with dvd becaue it has been great especially for the audio inputs which I use every single day and are worth it for that alone.

I had to find it at a dealer that was pretty far away and wasn't easy to negotiate getting it or getting them to cooperate in a dealer trade but it finally worked out and it ended up coming with a pin strip to my pleaseant surprise.

Of course that is why I probably didn't get one of the best prices at only $1000 off msrp still about or over 2000 above invoice with everything mine had, and i was lucky to get that as supposedly noone else was even on ones on their lot at that time, but if you really can't stand to wait thats my only suggestion, do an online search of dealers first closest ones to you then make your way out further till you find the tribeca with colors options you want or as close to it and then prepar to pay full msrp price and be lucky they aren't charging above msrp.
    I knew of an outfit called OEM rims i think that would chrome factory wheels but i think you had to send them back your non chromed wheels when they sent you the chromed factory wheels.

I know you can usually get the center cap chromed separately as well which is what I wanted to do to add a little interest and since full chrome wheels would not be good for Philadelphia area winters and it even says that on oemrims.com site. So I figured just the center cap would be fine and wouldn't get as messed up but even with those I might want to have a spare set of non chromed ones for really bad snow/salt.

either way they never got back to me on getting some chromed factory center caps for the Tribeca and now its probably too late in the summer to be worth it. I may still get them though again as long as i cna keep my non chromed center caps.

I feel like just the chromed center cap will go fine with the rest of the non chromed wheel and will get rid of the of the blue of the subie logo on the center cap as it will stil be there but all chrome.. no blue.

we'll see. I guess noone here got chromed factory wheels yet?
    so you are a 14 pump chump. Beca likes you to give it to her at least 20 times before she stops chiming. don't be a captain quick nut.
    OK well got my B9 back with the accessories mounted. I have two questions:

1. Aero Rails - does the rails move up and down the roof line? it looks like there are rails that it could slide along on the roof. My Pacifica had full rails that you could move the cross bars forward or backward along the roof.

2. Tow Hitch - did they really put a Class 1 size tow hitch on the B9! I was shocked that they put a car sized tow hitch instead of the Class 3 hitch I had on my Pacifica and Jeep uses on theirs. not sure whats on the MDX or others. My question is what is the Rating on a Class 1 Hitch? with the oil cooler you should be able to tow 3500 lbs.. correct? but I thought a class 1 Hitch is not rated for 3500. the standard rating is 2000 lbs with no oil cooler.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I spoke with two separate salesmen regarding whether the roof rails move. They both independently told me that they were nearly positive that they did not move. These guys were pretty knowledgable about the vehicle, and both had been with this dealer for many years- so they weren't your normal inexperienced salesmen.

So- things don't look good regarding movable rails. Looks like they're fixed to the spot. It sure seems like they would be able to move tho'.

don't know about your trailer hitch question.
    Thanks for the pictures subienewbie2. That gives me a good idea how it looks with a bike mount in place.

How discrete is the hitch mount when the bike rack is not attached?
    How's the cutout finish at the bumper for the hitch? Is the gap between the hitch and the cutout apparent?
    I'm Tribeca comparing against Murano and Pilot.

In my opinion Pilot has much better visibility. But the interior doesn't look good.

The Murano has the same visibility problem as the Tribeca (if not worst) and a unattractive console and gauges, but it has memory seats and better gas mileage, things I see as important.

Reverselogic device seems interesting, especially because it is hidden behind the bumper cover. However I found a short post elsewhere stating it only works if the car is in movement at least 1/4 mph because of the doppler effect. I think a sonar is more reliable, but it is visible and requires drilling the bumper.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Jerry, I was told $99 (retail) but I have seen them somewhere for $75 (one of the discount parts places). Installation was supposed to be 45 minutes' labor, but the puddle light complicated the tech's efforts. He wasn't sure if their was an issue with the puddle light wiring, so he pulled all of the fenders just in case...plus the fact that the tech had a very bad attitude that day and literally hung up on the young service manager....I complained to the head SM and ended up paying no labor...long story short, it cost me $99 total.

Keep at the seat belt thing...I'm not sure what to tell you, but it must be something obvious you are not quite doing...it DOES work, and I can usually do it on the first try. I'm sure it's my directions that are confusing...others ahhavelso initially had problems but most seem to get it to work eventually (and the peace and quiet is well worth the efforts, IMHO!!!).

-Karen in AZ-
    I inherited my father's nose, and even he admits it's not good...quite long and sharp. But I am also told I look like my mom on occasion, so that's a good thing :-)

So when you select a color for your Tribeca, is that calling "picking" your nose?

:-)

-Karen-
    I agree with other posters that initially this was an issue, but I am getting used to it. I find myself much more conscious of my surroundings as well as where the neighbor's kids are BEFORE I put the car in gear. Maybe this is a good lesson for all of us, as I took much of this for granted before. Still, all it takes is one lapse of judgment... The rear sensors make a lot of sense (no pun intended)...many luxury cars have them pre-installed.

-Karen in AZ-
    note the factory hitch includes an oil cooler to increase the tow rating...

I have seen the factory hitch listed seseparatelyrom the oil cooler on some web sites. So if you just want it for the bike hitch rack, this would save you some $$$.

I have a hitch rack, and it is great. No way could I lift my bike to the roof, even on the Forester I originally owned. Mine is a Subaru rack from about 5 or 6 years ago, and it has a release to allow you to drop the whole rack down and have access to the rear hatch without actually removing the bike(s).

-Karen in AZ-
    There are specific slots in the rails that the crossbars must fit in...has something to so with the placement of the moon roof. So, no, there is no adjusting of the crossbars inon the Tribeca.

-Karne-
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    So when you select a color for your Tribeca, is that calling "picking" your nose?

Ummm, YES! Good one Karen!
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That's one of the bad things about those racks, and it makes them nearly useless -- very narrow crossbar spacing means no long loads like canoes, lumber, etc... I had to mentally cross the Tribeca off my list after seeing that (not that I was actually making a list!).

Craig
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    The roof rail does NOT move. I will double check when I get my B9 this weekend. If I remember correctly, the rails are screw into the roof. I remember not seeing any tracks the rail could slide forward/backward on.....

Forgot the rating on hitch...
    I am pretty shure the factory 11/2 inch receiver on the beca is a Class II with a capacity of 3500 pounds if the tranny cooler is installed.
    Here is a tight shot of the hitch.

The install is very clean, does not protrude & looks like a factory install

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/subienewbie2/IMG_0217.jpg
    Looks great, perfectly integrated. Very clean.

-juice
    Thanks everyone on the response. I did find a bag of little plastic pieces in my rear hatch area from the tech. I guess it covered the holes where the roof aero rail supports were installed. Bummer on the roof aero rails. just thought the track was hidden in the roof line.

the trailer hitch is small type typically you find on a car tow package not an SUV. I didnt know there was a class 2 in hitches. but found this site:
    Tow Hitch Info the nice thing about class 3 is the increase from 200 lb to 500 lb tongue rating. its not always the total weight your pulling that counts. Also the 4 wire flat connector lose fitting is not as nice as all the other vehicles I have seen. the best is the round small 7 plug on explorers which are permanently mounted in the tow hitch bracket next to the hitch receiver. looks better then the wire and plug hanging lose.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Karen your directions were perfect, once I followed them it worked fine! I am so happy I am going to let the DRL burn for a while. Next "project" is to get the splash guards. Thanks for your help.

Jerry :)
  • aixaix Member Posts: 30
    I just debadged the rear trunk lid of the Subaru and B9 Tribeca lettering. I must say, that the rear is much cleaner looking without it. Anyone perform any mods to their Tribeca yet, either cosmetic or performance-wise? I know we're talking first model year here. Doesn't seem to be much out there.

My next mod...baby car seat. Is anyone putting the baby car seat in the middle? I know that generally this is considered the safest spot. But the Subaru manual doesn't recommend the center seat for some reason, perhaps due to the seat belt system for that particular center seat? Any thoughts here? Thanks... :P