Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hey, have some cool news. I was up visiting the in-laws in CT, and we made our way to a junk yard to get parts for my brother-in-law's Trans Am. Any how, I decided to look around for a rear view mirrors with lights, and I found one in a Lumina, of all places. Plenty of those in the 2 junkyards we visited. ;-)

Any how, I have not had time to hook it up yet, but I should be able to get the map lights working in no time. I'm pleased because it was just $10! I saw the same thing in a catalog for $90! Not a bad deal, eh?

When I do the install I'll get photos and share them with you guys.

-juice
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    So far, for the entire month of December, I have had the top down. Actually, I put it down on Saturday morning and have not had it up since. Weather in Memphis has been unbelievable, with today projected for 72 or 73.

To all those people who told me it was the wrong time of year to buy a convertible (I bought on Oct 30.) I say "Nyanyanya." (BMIG)*

Peter

* Big Miata Induced Grin
    Me too, it should hit 70 this week in DC. The top is folded and will remain that way.

-juice
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    ...I've had my top down at least one day in every month (I'm in NC). I debated getting a hard top for the first few months of ownership, but my "streak" has proven to me that I don't need one :O)
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    Just washed Crystal Blue and it sure looks good.
    I leave the house at 5;00am tomorrow and it is supposed to be in the high 50's in the morning so will cruise up I 270 with the top down on December 5th..WOW. The heater may be on a bit but certainly will be a pleasure.
    It hadn't been washed for about 2 weeks or so.
    After I washed it today I put some RAinx on all the windows in preperation for the upcoming,,,,,sooner or later... rain or slush.
    Glad to hear all the goodnews for us in the midwest.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    It's nice, but it won't last forever. That hard top will be handy either way! I'm just hoping Winter doesn't go into June!!
  • eddiesvr4eddiesvr4 Member Posts: 41
    I was pissed. I put the hardtop on too early ... then I missed a few fantastic convertible weekends. Now the hardtop is off again. I'll put it back on after the weekend.

You know what's the funnest part of the Miata? Parking the car on the street corner, turn up the radio, kick off your shoes, and sit on the rear ledge chillin' ta tunes while the girlies walk by. I lots of smiles and waves. It's a riot.

I'm gonna need to change the rear window soon ... probably right after the weather improves. I've been thinking about glass instead of the plastic. Do you guys think it's worth it?

Eddie
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I recall there being an SE Miata with this color, possibly a 2001. Does anyone know? I'm hoping I can find one of those.
    Depends, Eddie. If you have a garage at work and at home (so you can leave the top down), and use the hardtop during the cold season, it seems like you wouldn't use the rear window much.

I think the glass is also a bit smaller, and it's definitely a bit more expensive.

-juice
    First the quick answer to the BRG - there are two SE's produced with the BRG color - 1991 and 2001.

Now the glass window. I replaced my entire top when I replaced the rear window. The top wasn't completely gone, but was showing wear. Also, the price of a glass window replacement wasn't much cheaper than the whole top, so I put the little extra in. The glass window is a little smaller, but I wouldn't trade it for the minimal size advantage of the plastic window - it's advantages greatly outweigh the size difference. Easier to clean, clearer, "scratch-proof", ice scraper proof, doesn't become opaque over time, etc. Mazda apparently "sees" it the same way since they've been using glass since the 1999 refresh. And BTW, the OEM tonneau and boot cover still work with the glass top - they're just a little tighter (not a bad thing in my opinion).
    BTW, I agree a glass window is better, and wish I had one myself. I was just offering a counter point for someone who didn't seem to use it much.

-juice
    Thanx for the input guys. Merry Christmas.

The hardtop is on right now, though I'll tell you ... the weather here in NYC for Christmas has been wonderful. A nice jacket, a skully, and the heat up ... I think I can still go around town with the top down.

I'll probably change the top and rear window in the spring. I'll price it out. Don't want to spend a ton of loot. The car's a 92 ... still probably has another 10 years in it though. Ha, ha. I can dig it.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. To all those Miata owners in Buffalo, NY, I hope you have your cars safely garaged ... or you can use it as a sled.

Eddie
    Happy New Year folks. Too bad the only icicles here are the ones on my nose! ;-)

-juice
  • ncphishermanncphisherman Member Posts: 18
    I'm short (5'5"), but a pretty stocky 200 lbs. I'm a powerlifter, so I have very thick and wide shoulders. Would I fit in a Miata? How is shoulder room in this car? Can two fit comfortably?
    I'm 5'11" and about 220 or so, and width isn't much of an issue, though leg room is. I added spacers under the front of the seat track for more thigh support, which helped.

In your case, I'd be concerned about having enough room for your right leg, between the center tunnel and the steering wheel, which is not tilt adjustable.

So try it on for size, and pay close attention to where you right leg sits, and if it can rest comfortably on a long trip.

-juice
  • landscaperjoelandscaperjoe Member Posts: 15
    Happy New Year to all Miata owners. I have stored my 2001 ls for the winter but am thinking about the spring. Anyone out there have a recommendation for sheep skin seat covers. I really like the leather seats except in the very hot weather. I'm sure they would come in handy for the early spring and late fall. Hoping for an early break in the weather in Chicago to get my girl out.
    Costco had some a while back, but they would not be a custom fit. They were real wool in the seat back, but the fake stuff around the perimeter. I forget the price, but $50 seems to ring a bell.

Man, I took the top down in the cold, and boy was that a mistake. I couldn't get it to close! Had to zip up the window, crank the heat, and wait a while until it was flexible enough to muscle back into place.

That top isn't going down again until it's at least 40 degrees.

-juice
    Happy New Years guys. The weather has been really nice in NYC and I've been cruzin' in the Miata. It's not as fun with the hardtop on, but it's still nice to get around town in.

Two more months and it's convertible weather again. (OK, two and a half months... ha, ha).

5-oh pulled my azz over for having a headlight out. What a pain!

I think I'm gonna change the top and rear window when the weather improves. Are there options in colors for the top other than black and tan? My Miata is Mica Blue and I wonder what other colors would add alittle pizzaz to the vehicle. I'm sure the upholsteror should have other color options ... I hope.

Eddie
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I received mine as a present, it was purchased in Costco for under $40. Juice, I'm not sure what you mean about the fake stuff, it seems to be the same material all around. Anyway, I love mine, but it is a universal fit sort of thing, which is never great, don't know how good it would be for a Miata.
    Blue on blue would look cool. But so does the stock tan color.

If you have the old barn doors (pop-up headlights), now is the time to consider E-codes with H4 bulbs instead of the sealed beams. Lighting improves by about 500%, it's amazing.

Hmm, maybe it was all wool, then. Maybe I'm mixing it up with something I saw somewhere else. I do recall they were high quality. My wife bought some cheap ones somewhere else and does not even use them any more.

-juice
  • nectalovernectalover Member Posts: 15
    How are the 95 models. Are they pretty good? I have seen one for 9,900.00 and am wondering if this is a good deal or should it be less. Guy says it is clean and that it has never had any body or paint work. Has only 30k original miles or so and looks pretty good. Has some gold looking M rims or something from that model year. I think those will be the first thing to go, but is there anything that i should know about this model year? I just like the mod ability of the miata and the write up in the june compact car mag made my mouth water. Anyway thanks and oh are there any specific miata chat sites etc i should check out? Thanks fellas and great board. Late
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    The ONLY Miata web-site is http://www.miata.net . Everything else is just garbage. Seriously though, there is a ton of good info there and some very addictive forums. One thing you should know though, having a Miata means autocrossing! See picture... http://images.cardomain.com/installs/123000-123999/123155_15_full.jpg
  • nectalovernectalover Member Posts: 15
    Thanks and yes i know a bit about autocrossing.lol thanks for the quick info.
    95 models are good. 1.8l, 128hp, 23/27 mpg, bigger brakes than the 90-93. I think they started using the dummy oil pressure gauge by then, and it may have OBD.

Read up on miata.net, there is everything you'd ever want to know.

-juice
  • travisawtravisaw Member Posts: 2
    Hello to the group. I'm new here, but will try not to make too much noise. My wife bought me a 1997 Miata on e-bay in October, 2000. Strange, but true. The winning bid was $10,300, and it cost about $700 to have it shipped from New Orleans to Los Angeles. It came with 19,300 miles on it, and it was previously a leased vehicle in New York City. Oh, one other thing: it's an automatic. Now before you berate me for choosing an auto instead of a manual, I'll let it be known that I'm 53 years old and have chronic bursitis in my right shoulder, which makes manual shifting downright painful. In addition, my wife and daughter--who also enjoy driving it--have never driven a stick and have no desire to learn. Plus, driving a stick in the metropolitan Los Angeles area can be a royal pain. So I'm quite comfortable with the automatic, and it certainly doesn't detract from the vehicle's appearance. Any other automatic Miata owners out there?
    I think I heard an echo. ;-)

Congrats. Price seems good. An auto will handle just as well as a 5 speed.

-juice
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    As many sports car enthusiasts are, I'm a big fan of the Miata. I'm 25 and when the lease is up on my Saab next December I'm definitely thinking of picking up a Miata and keeping it for a long, long time. I've got a few gripes with the way the car comes.

1. The base model comes with Black Cloth/Black top which I would want. I love leather seats, but could convince myself to live without them. ABS should at least be an option on ther base model. I will NEVER buy a car without ABS (They've saved my hyde one too many times).

So I know what most of you are thinking, "Well if you want ABS and Leather, just cough up the extra dough for the Miata LS." Those of you who say that make a valid point, except that I live in NYC . The Miata LS only comes with a Tan Top/Tan Leather interior. I like the way these look, convertible tops/interiors get dirty way too quickly here.

Is there any way to get ABS on a Base model or Black top/Leather on the LS model?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I usually either see them loaded or stripped, one or the other.

I'd prefer to have ABS as well, but at least you do have 4 easy-to-modulate discs and very little weight to halt.

-juice
    Thought I wanted it too, but in 8 yrs of Miata ownership I've never missed it. Juice is right, modulating is a cinch in the Miata.

Of course if you have to have ABS, you can buy the black and tan and replace the top, carpet and seats with black replacements. You'll still have the tan dash and door panels though :O)
  • knhillknhill Member Posts: 33
    I've been lurking for awhile and I figure now is a good time to join the fray. My 99 with ~27k miles just went out of warranty and I wanted to post an update.

I've had a recall on the fuel filler. The original center caps turned yellow. I've seen plenty of people with these troubles.

I'm on my third top! The top frame chewed holes in the top just behind the door glass on each side. The dealer replaced the top. A year later the holes were back. The dealer replaced the top and frame, both under warranty. I hope that gets it. I haven't heard of anyone else having this trouble.

A few weeks after the warranty ran out the CD player started stopping playing after about ten minutes - possibly due to overheating. The wonderful dealer here in Cary, NC offered to replace it under "goodwill" for free. They have definitely been my best dealer experience. However, that was three months ago and the dealer says the CD player is on nationwide backorder.

Over Xmas the cruise control started freaking out - back and forth between pedal-to-the-metal and coast.

The Michelin Pilot SX-GTs gave out at about 26500 miles. I liked them, they were very sticky and good in the rain. They were too expensive, though, so I replaced them with Kumhos.

Overall, my experience hasn't impressed me with regards to quality. It would be easy to blame Ford, but it does sound like my 99 has been worse than most. I still LOVE this car. It is SO much fun to drive, it never fails to put a smile on my face. If I had it to do over again I would buy another, but I would wait until 2000 (first year rule).

The question is: has this soured me on Ford/Mazda reliability? We will need a family car next and the upcoming Mazda 6 Wagon and MPV look like the best choice in their fields. I'll keep lurking those groups.
    3rd top - wow! My '93 is on it's second but that's due to the plastic rear window clouding, not holes in the top. Strange.

I will say that I've been VERY pleased with Capital Mazda of Cary too. I bought from the other local dealer and they didn't give me any problems but they weren't extremely helpful or convenient either. We bought a 2001 MPV from Capital in July and they were wonderful to deal with. Without ANY haggling, they gave us more than True Market Value for our trade-in (by about $2K), $2000 cash back, 4.9% financing for 48 months, and $0.01 (yes one cent) over dealer invoice. Needless to say I paid less for the MPV than I did for my Miata back in 1993!

That said, Ford has nothing to do with the current Miata - it's all Mazda. The next generation may see some Ford content, but you can't blame your particular troubles on the Blue Oval. The Cruise Control and the CD player are not built by Mazda (though they are sourced by them unless your dealer installed either). The CC sounds like an adjustment issue.

We've loved the MPV so far and it hasn't given us a problem in 6700 miles (one should expect so). I had my first "failure" in the Miata last month after 116,000 miles - had to replace the heater core. Not fun, but it took a lot of old rattles out! Overall, I've heard of a lemon here and there with Mazda, but they're rare.
    Ford has not (yet) had any influence on the Miata, fortunately. There's a bad apple in every batch, I guess.

My '93 still has the original top, and in the 1.5 years I've owned it not a single thing has gone wrong with it.

MPV has been reliable, it beats the Odyssey there. The 626 is pretty good, just avoid the 4 cylinder auto (Ford CD4E tranny is bad). The good news is the Mazda 6 may get the Jatco 5 speed auto from the MPV (i.e. non-Ford).

-juice
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    '92, with the original top still in very good shape. We've only had her 10 months, and she spent her formative years as a Garage Queen. But no more. :))
    The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.
    I finally got to drive it in some snow and I found that while the car is more slippery, it is much easier to control then any of the front drive cars I've had. As long as the roads are plowed regularly where you live, and the snow doesn't pile up too high, the Miata seems fine in the winter, and actually quite fun. At the first snowfall I brought the car to a parking lot to throw it around on fresh snow and get used to the handling.

Anyone driving this car in snow should defenitly get ABS, it makes a huge difference.

Black vs Tan:
    After more then two years and two winters on the road the tan interior of my car is still spotless. With regular cleaning and maintenance the Tan top and interior will stay clean, it's just a bit more work. I would be cleaning the black just as often because I don't like the dirt whether I see it or not!
    Freddy: I agree that with the right tires with Miata would be fine. By my concern is all the other folks out there, on slippery snow and ice, especially the overconfident ones in those hulking SUVs.

Here's a question: what do you clean your top with? Mine is filthy, more brown than tan right now. Simple Green? Regular car wash soap? A specific cleaner?

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    and a toothbrush. Seems to get out most stains.
    Thanks, I need to try something. I saw another tan top and it put mine to shame in the looks department. At least mine doesn't leak or anything.

-juice
    I've found a foam spray called Tannery leather and vinyl cleaner that works well to maintain the leather and plastic inside as well as the top, but it won't do much on a top already stained from neglect. I still have some permanent stains I haven't been able to remove. Maybe I'll try that Mothers in the spring, when I remove the hard top.
    The previous owner garaged it, but probably never cleaned the top itself.

-juice
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    How much should I offer this person for his 95 Miata AE with BBS wheels? It is in average condition with no accidents. The car is fully loaded with every options available, except spoiler. The car has 60,000 mi and is a 6sp in case any of you don't know. I am thinking about $6000. Is that a good deal? That's probably how much he is going to get if he were to trade it in.

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Didn't know they made a 6spd Miata before 2000. I guess we do learn something new every day.
    Yes it is a 6sp. It was only avail. on the anniversary edition at that time. It also has
    ABS standard.

• ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    dating back to 1993. never, ever heard of an '95 AE, just a '95 M edition in merlot, with BBS wheels. it's a nice color, the merlot, that is. 60K miles, average condition with the 5 speed, should be in the $8 to $9K range. the six speed wasn't introduced until the'00 10AE model.

not to sound demeaning, but.. are your counting reverse as a sixth gear? i can't think of a single automobile, including the fussy italians, that had a more than five forward gear ratios. except maybe the 'vette with that wacky second to fourth lockout feature.

could this be some sort of an import (gray market) or a perhaps a frankenstein bolted together with a different tranny and some bogus badges.

just a thought or two.

ace
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    If it is a real 1995 Anniv Ed then you better offer him $100,000.00 because that's the only one around...
    I've checked again. It is a M edition and only
    5sp, not counting reverse. Sorry for not being so sure and good things you guys corrected me. I feel so stupid now..heeheee. I plan to offer him dealer trade in value.

$6k sounds low, I doubt he'll accept if it's a private sale. But try.

-juice
    That means I didn't learn anything yesterday.

Quick, somebody feed me some mindless fact to make up for it!
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    If your Miata is VIN 209447 or higher you don't have to worry about the crankshaft issue.

Is that good, maltb?
  • travisawtravisaw Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have tried, without success, to locate the Valet switch and semi-permanently disable the alarm on our Miata. The alarm is a Viper 300. We've looked everywhere around the cockpit without success. Using the remote Valet function from the transmitter doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts on where the switch might be hidden?