Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• vger105vger105 Member Posts: 57
    I'm glad your Tribeca still smells new aka1. Ours is one month old and smelled new for three weeks. Then our two year old had a big meal and...well...*he* enjoyed the meal more than our Tribeca did.
  • b9ctb9ct Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the input. I'll start with the shifter. Also, have the K & N filter on order. I'm selling bottles of new car smell. ;)
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    can you share what is the K&N filter number is...

• b9erb9er Member Posts: 10
    has anyone tried aligning the headlights for the B9? or I need a pro from subaru to do this...seems like the passenger side is facing out right. thanks.
    You bet. K & N B9 air filter stock number KNE33-2304
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    And yet Motor Trend had to reviews where they liked the car and said it outhandled many other SUVs and it was the car to get if you couldn't keep the sports sedan due to family. They wrote:

"If you love driving and have to step up from a sport sedan or roadster--and if you're going to need more room for kids and stuff--the Tribeca is a great way to go."

And also:

"The B9 feels peppier around town than many of its competitors and has a surprising amount of thrust off the line."

It's funny how many reviewers simply jumped onto the lack of power bandwagon. The B9 isn't fast, but it's certainly not underpowered either. It's an SUV.

Motor Trend is really confusing, alternating reviews that contradict eachother and rarely covering important features from one car to the next. Since a Tribeca is much like a roomy (and slightly slower) 250 HP Outback, it's really hard to suddenly accept any review of the B9 that's too negative.
    If driving in bad weather and safety are key to a purchase, the B9 is still a class leader. 2.5 stars for value is rather silly since the B9's AWD system and crash ratings top the class. What's that worth? Scoring the B9 on off road ability? MT should be ashamed. The B9 inherited some off road credibility from it's outback chassis, but it's obviously not designed with off roading in mind. Fer cripes sake it's called a "Tribeca." Xterra was the winner? That SUV wouldn't even make my top 5.

Robert B
    5 Passenger B9
    http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/mvideo.jpg
    Your points are certainly well taken. We looked at the Xterra before deciding on the Tribeca, and dismissed it immediately.
    Apparently magazine reviews are written with advertising revenue in mind, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    As for off-road prowess, the boulders I must climb over, and streams I have to ford, on my way to my local Home Depot, haven't stopped our Tribeca so far. ;o)
    My wife and I absolutely LOVE our 5 passenger Limited.
    And the interior design still makes my socks go up and down.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure they assign numerical values to criteria like performance, utility, value, and then promptly choose the biggest advertiser as the winner. :D

How else could the T-bird have won? That was such a flop, too.

Having said that, to win some of these awards a vehicle has to push the envelope in the segment, and Tribeca mostly did that with styling, inside and out.

-juice
    Thanks, just did a search of K&N Parts for the B9.

K&N Part # Year Model Engine Product Notes: Price (USD)
    33-2304 2006 B9 Tribeca 3.0L H6 F/I K&N Air Filter All $43.53
    HP-1004 2006 B9 Tribeca 3.0L H6 F/I K&N Oil Filter All $9.87

not sure how good their oil filters are... Lowest I have seen the air filter is $39.57. how much did you pay?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    this little grill cover on the bumper has disappeared, my in law who drives the car swears she didn't hit anything!I suppose it could have popped off even in a little contact with a mound of snow, its only on one side, on the other side its an integral part of the bumper, why would they have a cover on one side only? Car looks asymmetrical which for OCDers like me is a big problem, wife and kids didn't even notice it.
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    Thats the tow hook cover- just to the right of the foglight... I looked at mine, and it looks pretty difficult to pry off with my hands, I would have to use a screwdriver- but I am sure Subaru would have this part for an inexpensive price. If the snow mound was hard enough- icy enough, I can see it being knocked off...

Good Luck
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    just checked with local dealer, $10.25 for the part, fortunately it doesn't need painting!
    $39.57 from Martel Brothers. Free shipping.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    What enhancement to performance or MPG does the filter provide?
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    Today, I finally received my free tow package and had it installed at the service department, because I pre-ordered prior to the cut off date. It only took 7 months to get it. Not bad for Subaru. The tow package deal is nice. The install looks factory done. However, when I was driving home, I noticed when I use the right side turn indicator, it blinks very fast now. Left side is still the same blinking speed as before. I also noticed that my right side running light was not working. When I got home, I checked my lights and the entire right side is not working. Hmmm, What could have happened?
    While wiring they may have done something incorrectly. Usually the turn signal blinks fast when one or more turn signal bulbs burn out- since nothing on the right hand side is working, I would point the finger at the dealer. No need for an appointment, take it directly to the service area and ask that it be rectified immediately...

AKA
    Makes the air intake less restrictive. A couple more hp. Anything to help at this point.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I think they must have spiced the right signal a little too deep and accidentally cut the wire. :(
    How much did the package cost including labor?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Due to the system upgrade most of today, the Subaru Chat tonight is cancelled. :sick:

Check out the blog links at the top to ease your posting anxiety while the forum is down. :shades:

Steve, Host
    I got mine for about the same price $39.97 online with free shipping and no tax... 4filters.com They shipped it the very next day... I expect it next week.

I doubt much more the 1 hp gain, but on my last SUV (Chrysler Pacifica) I gained about 2 mpg :)

plus I can clean it every 5k miles, takes like 15 mins to clean plus drying time. about 45 mins total and poof brand new air filter again :shades:
    did anyone get an invite to the "Master the Mountain" Subaru event near them? got an email with an invite for 2 free ski passes plus lessons to my local ski location :D pretty cool plus they will have a tent there with the 2006 subarus and their ski partners Swix and Nordica :shades:
    My wife just called and said a light came on in our Tribeca's dashbaord, in the shape of a horseshoe with an exclamation point in it.
    Either Subaru wants her to play a game of horseshoes, or there's a tire with low pressure.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Winter weather will do it, lowering the pressure in all tires....not just one. I had to add air to all four on my VDC two weeks ago.
    They're a sign of good luck so maybe she's the one millionth customer and won something. ;)

-juice
    Check out the review in Sunday's NY Times. Totally trashed our 'beca except for the cockpit. as usual though, the times reviewing a car 8 months after launch. Consider the source. ;)
    Tomorrow's news today:

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca: Plan B9 From Outer Space (NY Times - registration req'd).

Steve, Host
    I don't feel like registering, so I'll skip my usual routing of pointing out the 3-4 mistakes they made. LOL

-juice
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    While the Beca is nothing for Subaru to brag about, NY Times is HARDLY a publication that's an authority on automibles. Personally, if I wanted information on anything automotive, NYT would be the LAST place I'd look.
    Check the logo at the top of the page on most of their reviews sometime:

Gotta love 'em. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Steve

Can you tell us Edmunds Dummies how to navigate now that the forums software has been changed.

What happened to the return to messages button?

Also is there a way to have only the treads I want to read show in the messages?

Thanks
    John - Chicago
    It's just a name change since so many people were confused with the Subscriptions lingo. Your Message Center is now My Tracked Items and you can go there to see the list of new posts in the discussions you "subscribe" to, or you can click on Read New Posts and that'll take you to those discussions.

Threading in an individual discussion hasn't been turned on, but there's still the Search This Discussion tool if you are looking for something specific and don't want to scroll through the pages.

There's also the Outline mode (linked at the top of the discussions) that may interest you. I'm so used to the conversational style of forums from my BBS and Usenet days I haven't played with that much.

There's more in the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion.

Steve, Host
    I am interested in following only discussions regarding the Subaru Tribeca.

I have booked marked the ones I follow, but would like to know if there is any way for only those that I book marked to appear in the discussion list when I log in.

It is annoying to have scan potentially 200 topics to see if mine have any new posts.
    The way I do it is to navigate to the discussion I want to follow. Then click Track this Discussion.

When you log in you can click Read New Posts and only new posts in the discussions you are tracking will show up.

If you want an overview of what's new in your bookmarked discussions, click My Tracked Items and it'll show your discussions you are following and list how many new posts are in each. You can then navigate to the posts from there or use the Read New Posts button.

Don't forget to scan the master list now and then so that you don't miss something new of interest.

Steve, Host
    the other way is to browse by Vehicle on the left hand side of the screen, select Subaru for Make and B9 for Model will get you ONLY the the forums related to the Tribeca :)

then when that page comes up make a bookmark in IE or Firefox or what ever browser you are using... I sometimes have to hit the saved bookmark twice for it to work. the first time it sometimes only pulls Subaru but not B9. if I click my bookmark again then I get only the b9 topics.
    I bought my beca in to get the xpel film protection on the headlights and fog lights because so many people had their fog lens cracked. The installer talked me into getting the hood, fender, front bumper, side mirror done as well. Cost me $700. While they were doing it, they discovered about 3 little chips on the hood and bumper. :cry: I only drove it for 2 months and less then 2100 miles on the odom. :cry::cry::cry: .
    I will be getting the Expel on my fog and headlights tomorrow after the new fogs are installed.

However I think a more cost effective way of handling the minor chips that occur periodically is to take the car into a Carnica shop every year or so and have them repaired for about $100 a visit. If you are only keeping the car for a few years you'll save a bundle.
    Just get some touch-up paint. It happens sooner or later, not much you can do about it. Door dings especially.

-juice
    Love the square, hate the "flair"

"Everyone yelps about the snout, but for me it's the excessive "flair" — both along the sides and in the headlight shape — that hurts this Subie's appearance."

Talk back to Karl in his Blog.

Steve, Host
    It's the opposite of blending in, but when has Subaru ever blended in?

BRAT was too bold to classify in any particular segment, was it a car or a pickup?

XT was a wedge, a door stop with the lowest coefficient of drag at the time (0.29), the first to break the 0.30 Cd barrier.

SVX had the window-within-a-window canopy that you could drive in the rain with the windows wide open.

Baja is still the only crew cab that is truly a car (Ridgeline has a frame, despite what people think, I've seen photos of it).

Their square product is the Forester, before that the Loyale wagon. But those are exceptions for Subaru.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "Tribeca's interior is phenomenal, but I wonder if it would have sold better with a cheaper, basic interior, as well as a lower price? Who knows."

I wouldn't have bought one with a cheaper basic interior. I dont think the interior is actually so expensive but just well designed and modern. Someone mentioned here that the European version Tribeca was using more expensive materials for the same interior so again I dont think the us version is neccesarily so expensive but just looks luxury and again is well designed and modern.

It is one of the most important factors for the owner of the car for that is where you spend your time, not riding on the outside, so it was very important that this was one of tribecas stronger points. It helped sell me and others though I do also like the exterior and for me it came down to Murano vs. Tribeca which just edged it out for me due to some minor differences even estetic ones like puddle lights and signal mirros but definatley the interior is more appealing then Murano.

Speaking of interior, my only complaint about the climate control would actually that it just gets too hot too quickly especially when wearing sweater and coat in car etc. We have had some extremely cold weather in the philadelphia area lately and the car heats up pretty quicklly and nicely. I remove scarf and gloves but i can't strip down in car. Even when i put it to 67 it gets too hot and 66 seems to put the AC on, i dont think it goes below 65 so i just have to turn it off, only to later get cold and have to turn it on again, so in a longer drive its a lot of auto on/off and same with the heated seat, it gets too hot, though on 1 bar its bearable but usually have to turn that off too only to turn back on later.

Kind of a good problem to have i guess that it works efficiently enough that i actually get too hot. I had no complaints on the AC either in summer though i do have the rear ac.

As far as the rear view mirror back up camera @ http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RV651-NP&cpc=SCH&srm=0

wow 6.5 in. lcd and for only $179 seems great but the screen looks like it takes up the whole mirror so when you are backing up how do you use the mirror for normal purposes or stuff higher up as the camera i would think only views stuff lower. I guess if you using the camera part you dont really need to use the rearview mirror at the same time for its normal funciton plus the larger the lcd the better i think but at that size I would want to link it to the dvd player as well (for parked playback of course)
    "Also, Lexus leads the segment in the case of the RX. Hybrids, too. You only listed traditional German segments. "

Yeah, there is no denying that Infiniti and especially Lexus do almost copy or benchmark their vehicles off a BMW or Mercedes that precedes it but that is great for the consumer that they take it and make it better and more reliable.

And actually all those traditional segments he mentioned all have a Lexus counterpart that is rated higher in CR etc. in fact the Lexus LS which he says is based on teh mercedes S class is the alone at the top for years now as the #1 rated large Luxury sedan in CR.

Like them or not Lexus seems to have the most models rated at the top of their segments and they definately have the hybrid thing down better then anyone creating increased performance from their hybrid powerplant and doing away with the misconception that hybrids are econo cars in some way and changing it to actually be quite the opposite and more of a luxury feature with increased performance.

Therefore, though Toyota/Lexus is a big powerful almost monopoly like car maker who I tend to dislike and go for the smaller underdog that puts more feel and design into their cars like Nissan/Infiniti etc. I can't say it hurts to have Toyota on Subarus side now.

Mercedes E class had a little run where it was rated well by CR and even best overall car or whatever one year but it has since fell off and not been back for years. The BMW 5 series had a long run of being top rated by CR and even "the best car they ever tested" but then suddenly fell off completely and got one of the lowest reliability ratings for the 05 redesign.

Although the X5 which was never recommended since it came out suddenly is recommended by CR and in the top 4-5 mid size suvs in the issue that came out a couple months ago that reviewed the midsize segment and was commented on here as it included the Tribeca which nicely got a recommended check mark in its first year but was fairly low on the list in overall score.

So this shows that BMW did something about it without much redesign and took a model that never even got recommended check mark to getting that and being in the top 4-5 overall score but I dont think they will have done that so quickly with the 05 5 series to the 06 model but it will be interesting to see the full CR car issue that comes out in Feb./March or so to see all the vehicle segments and take another look at how the Tribeca stacks up again.
    is there a way to turn off the data entry lockout while moving?
    This has been positively annoying for many with passengers wanting to input something in the NAV. AS has been said before, if the seat can detect the weight of a person in the passenger seat to turn the air bag on notification, can't they allow that passenger to operate the nav while the car is moving. its bad enough you have to lean forward to the touch screen and no voice command.

So again does this diagnostic menu let you turn of the data entry lockout while moving? And if not what does it let you do? anything worthwhile?
    cant the passengers click OK on the screen just the same as the driver?

Never Mind - I see you want to over ride the NAV system locking out when the car is in Motion.
    My dad has two Lexus', 2000 LS400 and 2002 LX470- I am very well aware of the quality of Lexus and how they score in magazines... If you read the post- you should have noticed the point was to relate how the Germans typically lead segments in development and introduction of automotive technology- I'm pretty sure everyone knows Japanese specialize in making the technology work. Reading your post, you seem to contradict yourself in explaining the CR rating system as well.

AKA
    I agree with you regarding Germans cars have new auto tech sooner then most other cars. I have a 2000 VW Passat. There are features in that car my beca doesn't have. (windows and moonroof pinch protection, opening windows by turning the keyslot on the door from outside, residue power, auto tilting right side mirror when reversing.) I missed these features on the beca. :cry::cry:
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    I have not posted for a while and after much thought have these feelings about my Tribeca
    I am fairly disappointed with the car. It rides well and is ok to drive. However, the limitations are significant. The gas mileage is awful. 15-16 mpg is just not what I expected. You cant see out the back at all, its caused me numerous near misses. The fuses to the power outlets seem to blow easily, all i have plugged in is my xm radio, which should have been an installed option. The rear tailgate doesn't work well, and falters reguarlly The low beams are weak. The drivers seat is hard to get comfortable with. The dvd doesn't allow for up front listening of aux No rear heater, no blue tooth. The nav system is not easy to use, no able to do what a system like Hondas can.. overall I would not buy this car again.. sorry its how I feel
    wow I feel your pain, but 99% of the stuff you mention you should have known before buying the B9... other then the gas mileage and rear hatch not working well.
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    yep, thats true. I only have my self to blame
    Sorry to hear that, at least residuals values tend to be good for Subies.

Mileage should improve with age, mine only starting hitting the peak after 15k miles.

How 'bout that backup camera that uses part of the rear view mirror? Seems worth it to invest a few hundred to make your several thousand dollar purchase a happy one.

-juice
    I haven't plug anything into the outlets yet. But I think he might have a bad power adaptor. The sockets have 15 amp fuse and it shouldn't blowout like that.
    As for as nav, I bet he never used a nav from BMW or Nissan. They are worst. The nav in the is simple I think. Put in address, street name, route preference and done. How hard is that? The nav get u from point a to point b. What other things do u want? Tell you to take a leak after 2 hours of driving or what? :confuse: