Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• neo_gregneo_greg Member Posts: 5
    Wow! I thought I might be the only one experiencing this. Did you ever get a response here or an answer from your dealership. My brake pedal vibration didn't show up until about 8,000 miles.
  • cdub1cdub1 Member Posts: 3
    I was just at the 07 Tribeca web page and noticed it mentions 245 HP instead of the current 250. Does anyone know if this is due to the new SAE guidelines or is Subaru retuning the engine? Less horsepower with more torque possibly?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you see anything about fuel requirements? I thought someone recently posted that premium is no longer required for the new B9 and that could account for five horses.

Steve, Host
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    premium is no longer required

Premium was never required - it was recommended.

If the recommendation has been withdrawn I can not say.

HP & Torque

When I was at the Chicago show a SOA rep said that both the HP & Torque ratings were lowered. But he did not know the reason.
    Someone better tell that to our data people then.

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca: Reviews & Specs

The '06 "recommended fuel" notation is buried in Suburu.com's pdf file. I hate those. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Subaru.com still shows the '06 and the 250hp rating. MSN autos shows 250hp and premium fuel still (again listing the '06).

-Brian
    Well, Juice heard it from one of the engineers that regular was now ok. I suspect that since Subaru recommends premium the car sites like Edmunds go with that and people think it's "required."

The Subaru Press Release back in February doesn't say anything about the fuel, but does talk about the hp.

Steve, Host
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice and I posed that very question to Dave Sullivan, the Tribeca Brand Manager, last year at the SOA Tribeca Ride-and-Drive at Valley Forge, PA. Dave's response (and the fella he was with) indicated that premium was recommended, but that you could use regular.

From a marketing standpoint, making the H-6 a regular-gas engine (no mention of premium) would be a very smart move. A lot of customers are turned off to using premium gas, and I bet it has cost Subaru more than a few sales having the H-6 use premium gas.

Bob
    Certainly is plausible. You'd think if they were using the new SAE rating that you'd see them referring to it to make it known they're using it (and to account for the difference).

I'd have to guess the HP diff is due to the lower octane.

-Brian
    It is actually humorus about all the hoop la over Premium vs regular.

Based on my 12,000 miles expeience ,nthe operating cost is the same. Premium gets you better MPG but Regular cost less. When I compute the cost per mile it come out almost the same. So I use premium on long trips were it counts and regular in the city.
    You may be right, but that's not the point. The word "premium" is a real barrier for many customers, my wife being one. Another being a friend of ours, who recently bought a new Volvo because Acura (their trade-in) requires premium gas. That was a big selling point for her.

You can debate this till the cows come home, but the fact is it is costing SOA sales.

If I was calling the shots at FHI, the only engines "required" to use premium would be the turbos, as those customers are clearly performance-oriented, and are far less likely to object to use premium.

Bob
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Well said Bob. I know I grumble every time I go to the pump and pay that 20 cent differential. Martin
    new SAE rating

That has me curious too Brian. The B9 is so new, you'd think they'd be using the new SAE ratings out of the box.

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think it could be both, i.e. that the 245 hp rating is under the new SAE guidelines and that it might also be because regular fuel is used in the test. Isn't that how it works? They only use premium if the manufacturer says it's required?

-juice
    I filled my loaner up with Amoco Ultimate, and I'll admit, I did cringe a bit. It was the most I had ever spent on a tank of gas, since we've always owned smaller cars.

There definitely is a psychological barrier, and as Colin often mentions it really makes no sense to whine about $150 per year difference when the vehicle costs $38,000. But still, people do.

Here's the thing, Subaru has always been the antidote to luxury cars. People that could afford luxury cars choose Subarus instead. They are sensible shoes, a way that owners can get a nice car but not show off too much.

So that mentality jibes with using regular fuel, i.e. they didn't buy a luxury (premium) car so they don't want to pay a premium for the fuel used.

-juice
    B9 is so new

The B9 is new but not the engine. They probably just used the specs from previous tested 6 cyl engines. The proof will be if they now rate all other 6cyl engines @ 245 HP for 07.
    You may be right, but that's not the point

I agree that SOA should not have said Premium Recommended and that maybe it cost them sales.

In the manual maybe they could mention that under certain conditions (highway driving for example) the use use of higher octane fuels may increase power, performance and MPG.

What I do not understand is when a current owner who knows regular is OK, still gets their panties in a knot. That just seems like silly behavior.
    Try reverse marketing, they should say that regular fuel is OK, maybe.

-juice
    Lots of stations around here charge 20 cents more for 92 or 93 octane. But, there are a few around town that charge 12 - 15 cents more for 92. Today in fact, I filled up the XT with Speedway/SuperAmerica's 92 octane at 12 cents more than 87.

-Brian
    Basd on what Ihave experienced - Premium 20 cents over regular is a break even on operating costs for my B9.

If I could buy premium for just 12 cents more - then it would be cost effective to run premium all the time.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    From a marketing standpoint, making the H-6 a regular-gas engine (no mention of premium) would be a very smart move. A lot of customers are turned off to using premium gas, and I bet it has cost Subaru more than a few sales having the H-6 use premium gas.

Bingo! Subaru needs to tune the engine for regular. My '96 Legacy GT has a premium requirement and I do notice a significant difference in performance even with mid-grade.
    Yeah, I remember Subaru re-tuned the engine in 1997 and dropped that requirement. It didn't lose any HP, either, still 165hp.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    Isn't the Special Edition 07 B9 Tribeca still 250 hp? Its just the non SE that is now 245 I thought but saw no mention of that in the discussion.

Getting my 10,500 mi. maintenance tomorrow which is probably mostly just oil change basically but also getting the rear hatch struts finally (now that its warming back up and they wont be as much of an issue though) wondering if I should get my AC "recharged" or "filled" as someone mentioned in a previous post that some 06's needed. I guess not really as I haven't noticed it being weak or a problem really but something to keep in mind i guess when it gets hot if its not enough.

Still wanted to inquire about 3m film or similiar for the fog lights but luckily i haven't had any problem but why wait till its too late.

Prob going to inquire about the 07's at dealer but dont think I want to deal with them about a trade in deal for my 06 in which I will prob lose a lot.

Though I want some of the other features, the main thing at this point is the retractable cargo cover which I hear will not be able to be added to an 06 with the inferior cargo cover.

Will make more sense to wait till 08 and hope for more changes including possibly engine as has been discussed int he forum, but another year with that horrid cargo cover i dunno. By then I may look at the Acura RDX but figure it will ultimately be too small to consider being it is X3 size.

My 20" Toyo Proxes S/T tires and black wheels have been great handling and looking (lots of stares) on my Satin White Pearl beca with front windows tinted to match the back ones, but I still am wondering why tire rack recommends 255/45-20 for 20" tires and at the auto show they had one with 265/50-20's which look a little larger.

The stock 255/55-18's have that second measurement of 55 instead of the /45 of the 20's as well so in that aspect the 20's could look smaller and probably why overall they just dont look that big somehow or much of an upgrade. In fact they look somewhat stock which I guess is a good thing that they blend very well but not when you were going for an upgraded look and feel.

I now wish I had spent the extra on the tirerack recommended 265/35-22 with Pirrelli Scorpion zero assimetrico tires and 22" wheels (which the merchant i got the wheels from had both whereas i had the get the right size 20" tires from local shop). Nobody else dared go that big yet with a tribeca in here but if I am able to sell my 20's (tires and wheels) with my 06 B9 if and when i do trade it in and actually got another beca I would get that size this time but that would have to be private sale as dealer prob wont take or give you credit for the upgraded wheels and tires.

Does look really nice though and might show well for private sale though it would have to be a sign in window when I"m driving it because i dont have an extra car really to use to be able to leave the B9 on display somehwere with a lot of traffic, i dunno. You mostly see ppl do that who live on busy streets, these days an ad or online listing is prob best. Doesnt' vehix.com or one of those assist in ad for private sale of vehicle?

If I can get right price on my 06, i'd get an 07. Wont need the 3rd row this time or dvd now that aux input is upfront and without dvd option so could save a little.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    10,500 maintainence? No such thing, they've oversold you on service.
    Isn't the Special Edition 07 B9 Tribeca still 250 hp?

Thats what I was told by an SOA rep at the Chicago show. He did not know why the SE was different :confuse: only that it was. I have not tried to confirm it.
    I think all '07 H6s will be rated at 245 HP.

Bob
    22" rims? Yowsah!

Just make sure they're not too heavy. Adding a lot of unsprung weight can have an adverse effect on ride and handling.

-juice
    Well they put a little sticker on saying next service appt. by a certain date or # of miles which I reached first thats all. They admitted its just an oil change which I know is something I could do myself.

The main thing is that I waited till I had something else to take it in for to get the rear hatch struts as they got them right after my last service. So I'll get the new rear hatch struts and mine as well have them change the oil and i can ask them about some other stuff i have written down. Also will get my portable xm player antenna installed hopefully by the outfit down the street they use and are doing for free so it will be a worthwhile service trip in general.

I know my last car had an outline of recommended maintenance and at what miles. Does the B9 have anything like this and if so where can I review it.
    Might be in the back of the owner's manual?

There are two schedules, though. I believe one is every 7500 miles, the other 3750. So this dealer might be suggesting the shorter schedule.

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    the 20 inch wheels that I posted about earlier weighed a few pounds more then stock. basically the same weight. so 22" wheels might weigh more.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    You can also get a maintenance schedule from the link at the bottom of this page on the subaru.com website, or you can also find this and other model-specific info when you sign up for free on the official mysubaru.com website. Mysubaru.com also allows you to view a history of your vehicle's maintenance online, which can be handy, and gives you reminders for your upcoming maintenance needs based on your annual mileage estimate. There are also printable coupons for discounts on services at your dealer.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Some dealers/service providers place a reminder sticker in the top left corner of the windshield showing the next service is due at 3,000 miles past the mileage you have on the current visit. I guess you could call it a gimmick to shorten the service schedule, or it might be based on a widely-held belief that cars ought to get an oil change every 3,000 miles, no matter what the mfg service schedule says. My dealer does this, but I think 4,000 is more reasonable, so I go in when I'm 1,000 miles past the sticker.
    I use the stickers too, even though I change my own oil. It's a good reminder when you have a fleet of 3 cars all on different mileage schedules.

-juice
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    can I hook the bluetooth phone through the car for speaker free via the NAV system
    I have been in BMW X-5 and other's
    Is there a way after market to get verizon phone through NAV system so you have speaker free phone
    through car

thanks
    Also anyone have any luck (man I am not technologically adapt)
    TO HOOK THOSE REAR SENSOR'S AND REAR CAMERA

THANK YOU :shades:
    just got the new hatch struts and they are a big difference better. now as you open the rear hatch it goes all the way up and stays in place. it is much firmer and therefore harder to pull down to close which is probably why they made it weak in the first place (old ppl etc) but I def prefer it this way.

I got the mini brochure for 07 tribeca and it says that "every B9 is prewired for satellite radio, while he SE provides installed equipment that lets you access xm with touch of a button. pic shows the button under fm/am and to the left of rse/aux button.

dealer told me the mesh grille would be switchable to the 06 but didn't know or think the cargo cover could be which remains the feature I want most.
    The Motorola bluetooth I had installed has the ability to be tied into the car sound system (not the Nav system)and mute the speakers when a call comes in or when you dial out.

Unfortunately the shop I used could not figure out how to do it so we used the external speaker that is part of the kit. It is mounted under the dash on the passenger side and can not be seen. It has excellent sound quality.
  • cubs1957cubs1957 Member Posts: 3
    I mean that they were able to have the sound coming in through the car speakers but the caller was not able to hear them in reply.
  • cubs1957cubs1957 Member Posts: 3
    Which diagram as there is one for all different types of subsystems (entertainment, front-end, back-end, navigation, etc.)
  • tsportytsporty Member Posts: 13
    Got back from a 300 mile round trip to Palm Springs from San Diego this weekend. We went back up through the very steep and curvy "Palms to Pines" highway (a road that brings out anything from angst to outright terror to most suburban drivers-but joy to those of us who actually enjoy driving) Getting out of Auto mode was exactly the way to take a mountain road like this. The sometimes irritating shifting of the transmission and engine mapping doing what is its job was much more enjoyable and efficient keeping the power band sweet manually. The transmission is very responsive in this mode and really a bit smoother I think.
    I was following fast on the heels of a Porsche Cayenne and really never had any problems at all keeping up. Not as fast or glued down as our WRX of course but I think this is a responsive and even fun large car to drive.
    We averaged a solid 24 mpg for the 300 miles in mixed freeway and mountainous driving in our still green <5000 miles Tribeca so even if the city mpg is low the car is pretty efficient for trips.
    No real point here but happy with our Tribeca.
    Go Padres! Opening night was a blast.
    Sweet, sounds like a fun trip.

Glad to hear you liked the SportShift feature, too, because our next trip/family car will probably have that. I hope they add it to the Forester (not to mention an 5th ratio).

-juice
  • cruiser59cruiser59 Member Posts: 3
    Howdy! Once the B9, 5 pass unlimited becomes available for '07, my bride and I will grab one. The question is (could'nt locate any discussions with search)this. Has anyone had experience with the synethic oils in this model. I've had Mobil One in my previous cars and I experienced improved mpg (2to4 miles)and longer oil change periods.
    I appreciate any input and thanks.
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for response about Bluetooth(R)
    i was hoping their might be some Uconnect(TM) Hands-Free Communication-that allows callers to hear us talking
    and really makes it a smooth operation while driving

I was also trying to find out about an Electronic Parking Aid

thank you :shades:
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    We picked up a Black w/Beige, 7 passenger, Nav/DVD, and splashguards last week. We love it. Took a road trip to the Iwo Jima Memorial the next day and promptly got lost in SE DC. Not pretty. Learn to use the nav before venturing out.

I'm in the process of installing Sirius satellite radio. Would be nice if I could pigtail it off the RES from behind the dash. Has anybody had any sucess with that?
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Changed to Mobil One at 1,000 miles, changed at 5K, will do so at every 5-7k depending on conditions. Getting 19.2 around town , mostly suburban driving and 22+ highway at 75-80 MPH. Use 92 or 93 octane fuel. May change if it hits
    $3 per gallon.

Jerry
    I mean that they were able to have the sound coming in through the car speakers but the caller was not able to hear them in reply.

The in car Motorola unit I have does that,if it uses the external speaker or if tied into the car sound system.

There is a mute button on the small control panel attached to the dash. When on a call, just press mute and it kills the mike. Press it again and the goes active again.
    Awesome, congrats!

I know enough about SE that I'd want to avoid most parts as well! If you think you heard the Tribeca back-firing, trust me, it was gun fire! :D

-juice
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Checked out and drove the Tribeca for the first time yesterday. I loved it! What a tight machine. I think the grill's fine too. Too bad it's front end looks don't attract consumers, cause once you're up close and personal, this vehicle is sublime!
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    When a friend who owned a Murano was ready for a new one last week he tried out a Tribeca and gave me a report on the experience.

Nice seats
    Dislikes:
    Underpowered compared to his Murano
    "Less responsive transmission"
    No way to transport 4 foot wide building material
    Less knee room for his oversized person
    No rear camera available for tight parking

He bought another Murano, but with a backup camera this time. I rode in his new Murano and found its ride less objectionable than previous ones, but still not nearly as smooth as my VDC wagon...which he agreed.
  • iloveallioiloveallio Member Posts: 13
    I agree! I love the front grill. I dont like the back! But either way... I love my tribeca =)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Underpowered compared to his Murano
    Must be mostly perception: these vehicles have nearly identical HP-to-weight. Maybe it's the "less responsive transmission" that makes it feel like it has less power? I also wonder if he bothered setting the transmission to Sport Mode?

No way to transport 4 foot wide building material
    Roof rack?

No rear camera available...
    This one's solved in a month, when the 2007s come out. Rear sonar will also be an option. There's always aftermarket, too.