Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I saw the design on one of the other Subaru sites either here or elsewhere. There was a picture of the front end which made the Beca seem just like any other SUV out there - just Ho Hum.
  • amy10amy10 Member Posts: 26
    Hi, I'm interested in seeing what the '08 Tribeca looks like...does anyone have a link? Thanks.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not yet Amy. It will be introduced next month at the NY Auto show.

Bob
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Hi Amy

I believe this is where the story and a spy photo were as recently as two weeks ago. Now both the article and "spy photo" are gone. We should still start to see spy photos, however briefly, fairly soon. The new design is not offensive, just pedestrian.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:MZm-M4DEiCgJ:en.redtram.com/go/52118854/+200- 8+SUBARU+TRIBECA&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12&gl=us
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    :shades: Randy
    I have 06 in Conn.
    24k on the thing
    what did you buy
    and how much for set of 4?
    thanks
    I went through tiresdirect.com
    would love more traction
    but not looking to spend a fortune on leased car
    (ct2bgd@yahoo.com)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    NY Auto Show starts April 6, so that's the big day.

I heard yet another rumor, that the engine would go to 3.4l (before it was 3.6l) and that it would be happy with 87 octane, which seems to be a sticking point with many potential buyers, even though premium is merely recommended.

He also told me something interesting - now that they gave one of the assembly lines at SoA to Toyota, they are actually short on supply of Tribecas. My dealer has just 6 of them, not even a full variety of models.

So I guess Subaru could not sell enough cars to keep 2 assembly lines busy, but 1 assembly line isn't enough, either.

They were also short on the spec.B, and got only one the entire 2007 model year. It wasn't even a limited production model!

-juice
    Hi Juice, What is the spec. B? Thanks, Amy
    Sorry, I meant the 2008 Subaru Legacy GT spec.B.

It's basically the flagship model, black/blue leather, NAV, loaded to the gills, 6 speed manual hotness.

-juice

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    08 spec B is shipping already?

-mike
    I'm having one of those days, I guess. :sick:

Model year 2007, I meant.

-juice
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    "So I guess Subaru could not sell enough cars to keep 2 assembly lines busy, but 1 assembly line isn't enough, either.

They were also short on the spec.B, and got only one the entire 2007 model year. It wasn't even a limited production model!"

Well actually I think Toyota took over the old Isuzu section of the plant....I doubt they cut Tribeca production. I would guess that some Tribeca production may be going to feed the overseas market which I seem to remember being relatively new. Either that or they are reducing production while getting ready to into the revised 08.

Will the new engine be on all model Tribecas or only the Limited?
    Actually, Subaru was using the old Isuzu space. Tribeca had its own assembly line IIRC.

Perhaps mayberryguy can confirm, he works for a supplier and has been to the factory several times.

So yeah, I believe Toyota kicked them out.

You mentioned the other factor - some 2007s are being sent to Europe, though probably not many.

Most seem to think all Tribecas will get the new engine.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    got to do an online opinion survey of a new Subaru advert for the tribeca, dunno if what I saw in the advert is going to be the real thing but the grille of the tribeca in the advert looks awfully like the present Imprezas!
    advert was stupid, nothing at all about safety , which I think Subaru should push!
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Impreza front end?!?! The same wing design....I would think Subaru would want to get away from that design given the punishment they took over it.

I kinda like being unique..

Found a nice long term site on the Tribeca: motorweek">

I think this would be fairly typical for a Tribeca driver...it does grow on you.
    On-line? Still have that link? ;)

Do you know the printscreen trick? Then go to Paint and paste, crop it, voila you have the image.

Man, you're way too honest. :D

I think an Impreza nose could look good. That plus the cleaner rear end of that Saab prototype that we saw pics of.

In fact I'm afraid they go too bland with it.

-juice
    I've seen those reviews on TV, that's basically the text from each show they include it in.

Nice that mileage keeps creeping up, pretty soon their average will break 20mpg.

Funny thing is a friend of mine (our kids go to school and brownies together) is high up at MPT and we're close, and talk about the Tribeca a lot, so I think he's the one pushing for all these updates. Note they don't talk about other long-term vehicles as often (5 times, vs. just twice for the Audi A3).

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    >On-line? Still have that link?
    unfortunately once you have done the survey you can't get back in.
    Same friend got me a 2007 Subaru press kit. :shades:

What I really want is 2008 Tribeca info, though.

-juice
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    I was very excited to find out on this message board that Subaru is revising the Tribeca for an early release 2008.

My wife and I have owned a 2006 Tribeca since August, 2005 and like it, but I always thought it could be a little better.

They added the convenience/comfort items for 2007 (memory seats, aux audio input) that we desired. Now it needs low end torque, more high end horsepower, a new front nose and smaller blind spots (a pillars, c pillars, rear window).
    Early hints are that those are exactly the things they're trying to address. A bigger engine (that's also tuned for regular fuel), better visibility (no idea how, maybe a bigger rear glass?), and a new grille.

The visibility is a big issue for me, I'd want a backup cam or at least the sonar sensors.

Subaru updated the Forester for MY2003 and it got that new rear hatch with the bigger window, made it easier to back up. Maybe they could do the same with the 'beca. It should change the whole rear's styling, though, so let's see how it looks.

-juice
  • bt2bt2 Member Posts: 11
    The Tribeca maintenance schedule calls for CHANGING THE BRAKE FLUID at 30,000. I've had cars for 250,000 miles and NEVER changed the brake fluid.

Is there some good reason why I should do this? Are any of you doing this? If yes, what did they charge?
    Wow, at 250k miles those pedals must've felt mighty spongy! :surprise:

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water. Sealed hydraulic systems really on pressure to operate what is probably the most important safety feature on your car - the brakes.

The problem? Water compresses. Brake fluid is specifically formulated so that it doesn't compress. This keeps the pedal firm, with linear feedback. Compression throws that feel off.

It depends on how well sealed the system is, and how much water and contamination make their way in, but it's a risk not worth taking, as bleeding the brakes is a relatively simple task.

From my experience?

I bled the hydraulic system for my Miata's clutch, and the fluid was filthy, black and totally contaminated. It actually caused my clutch slave cylinder to slowly fail. I was lucky, the pedal just slowly sank to the floor.

Even today my Miata has only 64k miles, though it is older, a 1993 model.

Any how, imagine if that happened to your brakes! Pedal sinking to the floor.

Yes, absolutely, have the fluid changed.

-juice
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    juice- you got it all right except the part about water compressing. The problem with getting water in the brake lines is two-fold. Firstly- it leads to corrosion. Water is an excellent solvent and absorbs nearly everything- carrying contaminants through your system.

Secondly- DOT3 or DOT4 (our type) will absorb water. That in itself doesn't make the fluid compressible- but it then lowers the fluid's boiling point. Brakes get hot. If your fluid turns to gas... brakes will get spongy. So- you were half right. It's not the water that's compressible- but the water/fluid mixture is more likely going to turn into gas... which is very compressible.

DOT5 fluid does not absorb water- but that's not what our system takes.

So- have the fluids changed every few years. It's preventative maintenance. You don't need to go to the dealer for this. I figure any decent brake shop would do the job cheaper and more conveniently.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yep, the water won't compress, however heating up the brake fluid will cause the water that you have absorbed to vaporize, which will compress.

Believe it or not it's not a 30k thing really, it's a change it every 2 years thing for the brakes, but it's easier for manufacturers to tell you to do it at the 30k service. It's an often over-looked item that can be dangerous. Most dealers when you get a 30k service don't include it or if they do they merely bleed the system, rather than actually flush it.

What we do at our shop is alternate between ATE Superblue Race fluid that comes in Blue and Yellow, and we alternate so that we know when all the old fluid is through the system.

On the race car we may bleed them every other Race weekend, sometimes we'll do it once a weekend if the brakes feel mushy.

-mike
    Great idea to use the blue fluid, and I'll probably do that next time.

If it hasn't been that long, it's hard to tell when the old fluid is all flushed out. The color swap makes it a no-brainer.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    my dealership is ordering the 07 inside panels that work with the retractable cargo cover. Its just a matter if they will fit into the place where the current 06 rear cargo area panels are removed.

$150 each panel plus the cost of the retractable rear cargo cover itself. why didn't they get this right on the 06. yet they offer the inferior 06 cargo cover as an option for the 07.

I'm still thinking about just getting an 07 (as I know I'm not going to like the 08 just from early pictures and assumptions of the generic boring styling) and starting over with all I've done but its just not worth it. I ould just get a different vehicle at that point like the 08 mdx.

finally got the minor touch up on the back fixed and for cheap. just have to order the AWD lettering.

found a nice after market chrome bar/handle for the rear hatch to better open and close it with plus it looks nice so prob getting that. as well as some aftermarket side molding which I'm up in the air about.

service dept. is checking and tightening the front strut bar which will hopefully stop the minor rattling I sometimes get that others did as well and was diagnosed and remedied as the front strut bar.

I should tell them to check the one side bushing? is it. this was something that was known to be weak on the 06's and crack and I already had one replaced.

what ever happened to cobbs supercharged tribeca kit that they were trying to make compatible with both the b9 and legacy?

I dunno, I'm a little out of it on tribeca news and keeping up with mine. I guess I'm just over it, gave up on it, and ready for a new car.

I still like the looks etc and know I won't like the 08. its just costing too much to add to it what I want especially on the 06 just getting a few things that the 07 has.

and the lack of engine power isn't even fixable right now until and if cobb ever releases their solution and a fairly hefty cost I'm sure.

meanwhile what I've spent and put into my tribeca, I could have got a porsche cayenne by now.
    Get the 08 and then move yours rims to the new one.

What's not to like? It should have a 3.6l engine designed for regular, better visibility, and better access to the 2nd and 3rd rows.

I'm not sure what it'll look like, but the 08 Outback looks OK, it can't be that bad.

The Cayenne starts at $46k, and the way Porsche prices options, you'd pass out. My buddy paid $750 for "footwell lighting" on his Boxster.

It's basically one dinky bulb, smaller than a night light. $750! :surprise:

-juice
  • bt2bt2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 Tribeca. When the weather warms up, I get a "popping" noise that comes from the vicinity of the radio. It happens more at highway speed. Really annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?
    "Get the 08 and then move yours rims to the new one.

What's not to like? It should have a 3.6l engine designed for regular, better visibility, and better access to the 2nd and 3rd rows.

I'm not sure what it'll look like, but the 08 Outback looks OK, it can't be that bad.

The Cayenne starts at $46k, and the way Porsche prices options, you'd pass out. My buddy paid $750 for "footwell lighting" on his Boxster.

It's basically one dinky bulb, smaller than a night light. $750!

-juice"

I really should have just waited for the 07 but I didn't know there would be a couple decent improvements that I would be interested in and I was anxious for a new car though not needing one for end of lease purposes or anything so its a shame i didn't wait. You can't put a price on the enjoyment I got though for a whole year or so before the 07 came out that I would have still been suffering with my old car (if you consider an 01 Pathfinder suffering, heh).

And you can't say having a new vehicle the first model year and right when it came out was worth it for the reason of having one of the only ones on the road, because I'm still one of the only B9's on the road, heh, so for that factor I could have still waited for the 07 and its not that important. But with something like the MDX (which I am interested in the new redesign MDX that came out) its a little more worth having early before a ton are on the road, but to me that still isn't worth paying more what you usually do until prices come down.

Anyway, as far as the 08, that is how I helped myself get over the disappointment in getting an 06 only to see improvements that were important to me introduced on the 07 and nothing down for early adapters of the 06 at all without whom there might not have been an 07.

But now hearing (and seeing a few spy pics or expected look pics etc, though could use a link to any 08 B9 pics) i think I am not liking the style so not interested in the 08. At least I really higly think I wont be and to go through the trouble to get a new car and lose money (I paid a measly $1000 under MSRP and therefore a couple thousand at least above invoice for my 06) I mine as well get a different model altogether (ie. 08 Acura MDX)

There just isn't much case for the 08 for me. None of the things you mentioned about the 08 are important to me besides the engine which could have been remedied on the 06/07 with the Cobb supercharge kit which they never mass produced for release.

And ok, maybe I exagerated about the Cayenne but i did spend close to 40k on my B9 and easily over that after all the official options/accessories plus the wheels/tires etc. i could have definitely got an MDX for the same price.

In other Tribeca news, the rattling i had emanating from the front of my B9 that i thought might be the front sway bar as some ppl mentioned turned out to be the Engine Pitch stopper, just so ppl know. I had to sit at the dealership all day while they check/tightened one thing at a time and test drove the car over and over until finally finding and realizing what it was.

Now have to make a separate appointment for them to send it to body shop and be without car for 4-5 days because body shop has to drill to get to the engine pitch stopper. At least if anyone else gets this they can maybe check that sooner to verify where the rattling is coming from but i haven't seen anyone else mention it, just that most ppls rattling in the front turned out to be the sway bar i think.

meanwhile whatever they did, stopped it for now i think as i havent' heard it but i'm sure it will come back if they said thats what it was and they weren't able to fix it.

Also, the cargo area interior side panels of the 07 with the grooves etc. in them to fit the 07 retractable cargo cover came in so i can take it in to see if they will fit. If they do though, its 150 for each side so 300 plus whatever the retractable cargo cover costs.

That alone is almost worth trading in my 06 for an 07 that already can take the retractable cargo cover not to mention the other improvements that i would like.

I dont know what i'm going to do, but for now likely going to just pay up to make the retractable cargo cover work. At least everyone will know it is actually possible on the 06 where as previously thought not, just for a price.

and then just try and keep the 06 B9 for 4 year total if i can to get better moneys worth and there is always going to be newer better cars. At least going to wait until Acura releases the 08 MDX being the 2nd year of the new redesign so i can get a deal on the previous year like my wife did on her previous year TL. She has better NAV, tech and features, and paid below invoice for a car that already has a cheaper msrp while i paid well over invoivce and just below msrp for an inferior yet higher msrp car. granted its a differnt type and size but you get the drift, between the price and updates i missed out on, i'm still miffed.

Never the less and despite all that I do still like my B9 and it still drives well, and looks good etc.
    A loaded B9 will certainly approach MDX price territory, but a $40k MDX isn't loaded, that's the base model.

I like the new MDX a lot, even the tacky grille doesn't bother me too much, but the price just takes it out of the mainstream.

-juice
    I heard it came out

"t comes in a standard DVD case (that holds 2 dvds).

You load it in and the screen says "loading software, don't turn off power". Then it is good to go. Under the info screen it says Ver. 2 2006."

"The old DVD ver 1.1 said (c) 2004 Denso Corporation data by infoUSA(c) 2003

The new DVD ver 2.0 says (c) 2006 Denso Corporation data by infoUSA(c) 2005

Not sure which date is more important but we seem to have moved up 2 years from ver 1.1. "

So does anyone know the price and who online has the best price or will it be same price from an online subaru parts merchant as it is at your local dealer?
    I've only seen the one price so far, direct from the Kenwood web site. I wonder if dealers will mark it up.

At least you can use Subaru Bucks.

-juice
    Hi Juice, can you post the link for the NAV update on Kenwood website? Thank you, Amy
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Here is the link for the DVD Nav updates at the Kenwood Web Store: http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=3298885

-Karen-
    Thanks Karen! :)
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    $238!!! Good Lord!!!

Updates should be free or a heck of a lot less ($100) considering the cost of the Nav system.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    They listed the Kenwood version like $400...
    So $200 something isn't that bad...
    Subaru makes a margin selling the Kenwood hardware, but the maps are sold by Kenwood directly. They probably don't make much up front for the hardware (Subaru does), plus they have to pay the map makers, and keep a margin for themselves.

Sounds like Subaru isn't involved in the update process, though, even the Subaru.com link sends you direct to the Kenwood web site.

-juice
  • lipanjlipanj Member Posts: 5
    Hi, just found this forum and it has a great info. I'm interested in purchasing a Tribeca. Have received a quote for an '07 Limited w/Nav for $31,700. Just wondering if this is a good deal? Since my husband has stated I should do my own negotiations, I'm looking for help.

Thanks,
    --Lipanj
  • schow1schow1 Member Posts: 12
    Bought mine beginning of this year, 07 limit 5 pass. w/ nav for total of $ 33500 out of the door (include taxes, licensing fee etc), it also comes with the cross bar, all weather floor mats. I believe they also have an incentive going on right now, you can definitely get a better price than mine.

If the new model is coming out soon, then you should get a good deal on the old model.

Good luck
    schow1
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    you may want to check the forum on here for pricing and post there...

link to the B9 Pricing Forum
    Hello, a couple of months ago I was in the same situation that you are in...looking for a Tribeca and doing the price negotiating on my own. I received great advice from this board...particularly posting #544 from "morey000" in the B9Tribeca discussion "Prices Paid & Buying Experience." (I found the website carsdirect to be very helpful.) Ended up purchasing my B9 for $475 below invoice (and more than $5,500 below MSRP). Subaru is currently offering $2,000 customer finance cash on 07 Tribecas. Best of luck to you! :)
    Oops, in my previous posting, I meant to say $2,475 below invoice and $475 below carsdirect "target price." :blush:
    Is there a way to make the two front reading lights stay on as long as a door is opened on the B9. too lazy to read the manual and hoping there is a simple way to set it so as long as the door is open the FRONT two reading lights stay on.

Currently they only stay on for about 5 mins. The light cluster in the middle (next to the DVD screen) stays on the whole time the doors are opened but the front lights go out automatically after about 5 mins even if the doors are still open.
  • ptoellneptoellne Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2006 Subaru Tribeca in a number of times to address some noises.
    1. When driving at highway speeds there is a "hollow" bottle like sound coming from what sounds like under the hood/in the dash? Seems to be a combined speed and wind issue?
    2. When starting out from a complete stop there is a buzzing/electrical type sound coming from the driver's side seating area. Assuming something underneath the car?

Please help?!?

Thank you.
  • lipanjlipanj Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I will check out carsdirect. After reading, I'm debating whether to buy now or wait for the '08s. Probably better deals are on the '07s, but it would be nice to see what enhancments/changes will be.
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    heh...got a $16k base model VW rabbit few days ago, as i need 2nd commuter car... over these few days, i've got a chance to listen to a lot of CDs/radio, what a difference in a sound quality! clarity and dynamics... it's a shame that this basic 8 speaker system easily beats the "premium" sound system /w a subwoofer in a car that costs twice as much.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I have a 00 passat... The sound in it does sound better then the b9...
    I thought about swapping the speakers one time but who has time.....
    the MP3 Player works tremendously better then the CD or Radio in the B9 Prem system. Not sure why but if you burn a CDR with MP3 and play them the base is noticeably improved!

try it! I have the system loaded with 6 CDRs with about 5 albums on each CDR so I drive around with 30 or more albums of music in MP3 Format. only downside is you can not rewind or ff an MP3. only skip forward or backward a song.