Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jbrew7jbrew7 Member Posts: 17
    Well, the financial numbers came out from Ford and they look...well, just bad. Does anyone think this will transfer to the showroom? Ford needs to bring back employee pricing with a little 0% financing if they want to start moving cars.
  • poconosms1poconosms1 Member Posts: 9
    good, I'm waiting. I almost made a deal and I mean almost, but it was July 29th and I had a feeling the deals were going to change. August 1st they added another 1,000 in incentives, so now I'm waiting till September - maybe even October. Last I check, the the local dealer hasn't moved any of their 500s.
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    Got a check in the mail last Thursday $1000.00, picked up tags tonight and first payment due 9-1-06. Bought a hundred dollar suit, matching shoes, and no tie! THE 07'S ARE NOT SELLING IN SE VIRGINIA.
  • ansaransar Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 Ford FiveHundred SE last week. Here are my numbers.

$22,930 Sticker price

21,998 Selling price
    +1,006.80 Tax
    +148.00 Some weird dealer crap
    ============
    -500.00 Ford Incentive
    ============
    $22,752.80 out the door with special incentive financing

I qualified for the 0% APR for 60 months and the 1.9% APR for 72 months. I went with the 1.9%APR for 72 months and my monthly note is $334 and some change.

Note, the dealer tried to jack the monthly notes up on me twice. Once on the phone while going over the numbers, and again when I sat down to do the paper work. When I sat down to do the paper work, they had the wrong base monthly note $10 higher a month even though the selling price of the car was the same. He blamed it on the guy that did the paper work... go figure.

So far I love the car. I am not sure I got a good deal, but the notes are right where I wanted them.
  • jimbo7890jimbo7890 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited (FWD)last week at a SC dealership. Here the options on the car and numbers. This car has the 18-inch aluminum wheels

Options:
    Safety package (side curtain airbags, etc)
    Reverse sensors
    Memory pedals
    Traction control
    Navigation system

$30,505 sticker price

27,571 selling price
    -1,000 cash rebate
    -2,006 ford credit incentive
    =======
    $24,565 price before taxes and tag fees
    300 sales tax
    150 tag fee, etc
    =======
    $25,015 out the door with special incentive financing

We love the car. I did not really want the navigation system, but they gave a good deal so I treated myself to a gadget.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a Ford Fusion, Milan, Five Hundred or waiting to purchase the Ford Edge. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • foxhound7foxhound7 Member Posts: 1
    They got a 06 Ford 500 at a dealership in town here and the sticker is 31,060. What do you think is the best price I could get for it?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Got an internet quote from my local dealer on a 2007 Five Hundred, wondering how good it is, and am open to opinions.

It is an SEL model with Power Package, Leather, 6CD stereo, and Convenience Package...

He is quoting me invoice price, and telling me he can get me out the door for $23,945 (after tax, title, fees, and minus the rebate). What do you think?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hello? Anybody home?
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Did you get it?? Sounds like a deal to me.
  • seafireseafire Member Posts: 1
    For anybody's reference.

I bought a 2006 Mercury Montego Premier last month in October near New Orleans area dealership for $23,000 out the door which included Tax, Title, and License. The only option was reverse sensing. After I brought the car, a few weeks later, I've notice an additional $1,000 cash discount incentive on Mercury website in Nov. So maybe, the dealer may take out another grand. Their selling price depends on market demand and if they want to sell it high or low. Check out www.myford500.com for what others had paid. Lowest off MSRP average around $6800 to $8000. Pay anymore than $6800 off msrp would be a ripp off in my opinion. After driving a few weeks, the ride was about average. Not like a scale of number 7 given by Consumer Reports rated. It would be more like a 5.5 for ride quality. While I'm at it, the top rated washing machine on Consumer Reports went out on me after 2 years. The ride quality was just a little better than an SUV but my knees would still shake while driving. And more noise in the back seat(give a 5 for quietness). I can even hear the gasoline shake in the gas tank while sitting in the back seat and the noise from the rear suspension frame when it hits a minor bump. It has very Poor sound insulation. Somewhat annoying for ride quality back seats more bumpy than front seats. I can feel all expansion joints on Louisiana roads and at unlevel bumps, my body would jolt up and down. The car's springs and shocks should me made smoother, but I have to live with it for now. If I had to spend $28,000, it would be on another car. Reason for the buy was the $5,000 difference. The expected quality seems not to be their though. And it should have the 100,000 mile warranty like GM.

Options:
    Reverse sensors

$27,875 sticker price

selling price
    -1,500 rebate
    -5,365 dealership hidden rebates and whatever discounts
    =======
    $21,010 price before taxes and tag fees
    1840 sales tax (~ 9 percent)
    150 tag fee, etc
    =======
    $23,000 out the door without incentive financing
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    OK, this month you can get about $6000 off MSRP with the combo of incentives on the 500/Montego. Or you can wait til summer and pay approx. sticker for a 2008. What am i losing out on by buying now? I know about the engine but what about the tranny and the AWD. Is giving up the CVT and the Haldex AWD for the new unproven 3.5 a good tradeoff? Just wondering...
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I'd go for the 2007 with AWD and the CVT.

Test drive one with the CVT and one without, and see what you think.

I don't think you'd have to pay sticker for a 2008, though. Probably closer to invoice.
  • americanamerican Member Posts: 16
    hi barnstormer,I'm counting on you are right on the money on the'o8's.Ive tested a lot of cars(avy,lucern,azero,cts,mk whatever)but the montga has the room i want and you don't have to buy the moon roof which I believe is a big waste of money.the engine noise was the only thing that bothered me but from what I have read meerc has improved on this problem.I'm no youngester o the horsepower is no problem.wish me luck .If I can get close to invoice I hope to be driving the new "SABLE" this summer. :D
  • mexcarmexcar Member Posts: 21
    I'm thinking about going the other route -- getting a 500 now to take advantage of the incentives. Am a bit concerned about the engine noise you mention. Is this something restricted to periods of acceleration (not so bad to me) or is it always with you on long highway trips (more of a concern)?
    I haven't tried the new 3.5L

However, the 3.0L is very quiet at modest rpm's.

Any complaints of noisy engines would be reserved for when the rpm's get up to 4k or higher.

Most of the time on a long highway trip, you'll be down around 2k rpm's. Without much engine noise at all.
    I have to take another test drive to check out what barnstormer observed. He's right about the tempting incentives
    show me the money. that's where it's at. :)
    Thanks Barnstormer64 and American. Yes; it was the incentives that got my attention at first. After sitting in the car though I was pleasantly surprised. Am now negotiating price on one. Always interesting. If Ford plans to rebadge, at least that expresses some general satisfaction on their part with the design itself.
    i too was caught by the incentives on the 2007s. Basically 6-7k off MSRP. Then i read some horror stories on the other forum about the undersized brakes and people having their rear rotors replaced at 20k. That is not a good design if it is the case (you never know what to believe on these forums). The 2008 will have a new more powerful engine and a new different transmission. I'd wait a year before jumping on that...
    Your brake info should be the norm at 15k. I wonder why the disparity on the other models. Perhaps overly aggressive drivers? what year is your 500 and what is a freestyle?
    Then i read some horror stories on the other forum about the undersized brakes and people having their rear rotors replaced at 20k

I haven't had my Five Hundred checked yet. But my Freestyle, at 15k miles, still had 80% on the fronts and 90% on the rears remaining.

I suspect that my Five Hundred will be the same.
    I wonder why the disparity on the other models. Perhaps overly aggressive drivers? what year is your 500 and what is a freestyle?

My Freestyle was manufactured in December, 2004. My Five Hundred was manufactured in March, 2005.

The Freestyle is basically a Five Hundred wagon.

I can't explain why so many are reporting needing brake jobs (specifically, REAR brake jobs) when I'm seeing the results that I'm seeing. I guess I'd have to attribute it to people who either ride their brakes, have the parking brake engaged, or who wait until the last second to do their braking and brake HARD.
    Interesting. In this age of instant information on the internet I wonder whether there's some source of statistics on that kind of thing. I tend to be easy on brakes, as a driver, but definitely agree that's something to look out for. Still, if I can get closer to that $7000 off MSRP figure (which is what I'm shooting for) it will be hard to resist. Apart from the brakes issue -- which I definitely agree is a red flag -- the two main objections I read about, that it's underpowered and has bland styling, don't bother me. I actually like the styling, and after twenty years of car ownership it will be the fastest zero to sixty I've ever had.
    Believe me, it's NOT underpowered, regardless of WHAT the magazines say.

And the styling is fine . . at least for me, and apparently you.
    I agree with b64 about the styling and the power. Neither is an issue for me. What I am shooting for is a large sedan with all-wheel drive and a V-6 for under 25k. I look forward to hearing how you do on your purchase. Remember that the current incentives may expire at any time. FYI, I noticed the marketing support(dealer incentive) went from 2750 to only 1500. Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?styleid=100726861&popuppage=o- n
    Thanks to All for the encouraging words. I went ahead and got the SEL today -- with Power pkg., Convenience Pkg, Traction control and Satellite radio -- for $19,150 plus TTL. $20,347 out the door. I think I could have done better, although the dealer mentioned that it was a very unusual day in the sense that they sold four 500s during the single day.

So far the car seems very nice. It feels like what it surely is: a highly evolved product and consequence of years of a large middle class able to stoke heated competition for more and more quality for less money. I'm sure there are better engines and more reliable models, but in some ways the point may be that the good people here and elsewhere who highlight these differences are a big part of what results: a lot of great options in the marketplace.
    Well said. Enjoy your new ride. BTW, what was MSRP?
    $24,955 including destination.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    It is not that uncommon for Apples and Oranges to have different prices.
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    Hi Guys,

I've been checking this forum looking at what people had to say about the 500s. Other than some people thinking the car was bland looking, or slightly underpowered, it looks mostly positive. We were looking to get rid of our 2002 Sedona EX (poor reliability and sucked gas like a 70s Muscle Car). I was able to trade it in on a pre-owned 2006 500 SE with 22,000 miles. I got the 500 for 13,900 and was able to get almost 7,000 for my Sedona trade-in. I'm picking up the car tomorrow and looking forward to driving something more reliable that doesn't go through as much gas. Around town, we could not really go more than 270 miles on a tank, and maybe a little over 300 on the highway with the Sedona. I would have liked to go with the SEL, but the dealer wanted $4000 more for a pre-owned version of that. Overall, very happy with the $13,900 price. I played the Taurus rename into the depreciation of the 500 to work the price down a little more. I'll keep you posted on how things work out.
    Sounds like a good deal. I'm still enjoying mine (it's been a week now since I got it.) The mileage seems to be in the mid twenties for a mix of city and highway driving. It's very sensitive to the exact mix though, and in particular to the frequency of needing to accelerate up to speed from a stop. But the car is comfortable and quiet and roomy.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi,
    Please name the city or dealer where you purchased the vehicle. Thanks.
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    The dealer is in Norwich, NY (which isn't really near anything). Here is the URL for the dealer and the URL for their pre-owned vehicles.

http://www.sfllc.com/
    http://www.sfllc.com/preowned_cars/

Good Luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are considering purchasing a Ford vehicle. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 20, 2007 with your daytime contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• newcarformenewcarforme Member Posts: 35
    Soooo my question is, do I try to buy an 07 or wait for the 08? That new engine is tempting but am I going to have to pay much more $$$?? :(
  • hoosierdaddy2hoosierdaddy2 Member Posts: 3
    Recently an Indpls dealer advertised Five Hundred SEL with options for $8K under MSRP. They still have plenty left. Anyone know how low Ford will go to move 'em out, and when will the '08 Taurus arrive to compare?
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The pricing of the Taurus and Sable is available. You will notice that it is very competitive considering the new ones will be greatly improved . Well worth the wait in my opinion.
    I just received an offer for a Charcoal colored 07 with Black leather interior - MSRP - $33,000 fully loaded. Navigation, Covenience package, back up sensors etc.

For $22,250. Brand new, before taxes TTL.

I wanted to wait for an 08 mainly for the engine and improved suspension, should I take this screaming deal?
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    The '08 Taurus is now available for purchase; in fact Ford sold some in May, according to the monthly sales report. So, the '07 500 can be considered a 'left over' from the previous model year. If you don't want the more powerful V-6, and other upgrades, maybe you should get an '07 500. Did your price of $22,250 include a factory rebate? How much off list price is the dealer offering?
    Yeah, it did include the factory rebate, and I believe I have made my decision and will pick the vehicle up this week. The msrp is $33,000.
    I am awaiting a quote on a 2008 Taurus lease tommorrow. If I supply you with the negotiated price, monthly payment, lease months and mileage can you help me figure out whether or not it's a good deal? :confuse:
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If you look up your vehicle for the 06 model year used it wholesales for about 19000 or so. The price you're paying is about what it should be.

I wouldn't buy it as if you are getting an unbelieveable deal but because its pretty much what you want, and need a car now. The Crown Victoria and Marquis are selling for 10000-13000 off list frequently.

--Good Luck
    --jjf

Yeah, it did include the factory rebate, and I believe I have made my decision and will pick the vehicle up this week. The msrp is $33,000.
    I just test drove the new 2008 sable and there is a big improvement in the engine noise level. Not quite as good as the lucerne but more than acceptable. The power has been noticeably improved but was not a concern for me. NOW ,HOW MUCH? the dealer only had a black premier with a sun roof (which I have no need )So I won't talk turkey till they have what i'm looking for( red prem. - no sun roof)otherwise the car looked pretty good.
  • brigglemanbriggleman Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up mine, however my deal was not as great as yours. My MSRP was at 28,795 and sold to me for 21,700. I still feel it was a great deal for the amount of car you get. Imagine an AWD large sedan with leather for that price!! I have owned AWD Subaru Outbacks and the GLX Passat Wagon with 4motion before this one. The Passat drove the best but maintenance and repairs were expensive. The subarus are just too small.
  • imacreativeimacreative Member Posts: 1
    North Park Lincoln/Mercury, San Antonio, TX.

2007 Montego Premiere Alloy/gray leather interior with SIRIUS for 3 years free- no navigation. $23,700 out the door.
  • sonny65sonny65 Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get a new '07 Grand Marquis for $13,000.00 off list ?????? Tell me so that I can run there tomorrow and buy one. Or where can I get an '08 Grand Marquis for $10,000.00 off list ?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    10000 off list is fairly common for the 25000 model. I've actually seen a teaser ad for the 32000 model for 1/2 off. Email 10 dealers end of month for quotes and work the top 2. You should get a good deal. Same for the 08s a few months after they've been sitting on the lot. These things move like mud.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Where can I get a new '07 Grand Marquis for $13,000.00 off list ?????? Tell me so that I can run there tomorrow and buy one. Or where can I get an '08 Grand Marquis for $10,000.00 off list ?
    Hi Newcar,I tried for the same deal as yours but could not get the dealer under 25,500 from a 33,600 msrp.Just as well it wasn't the exact color I wanted. I think I'll wait a few months and get a 2008.Maybe they'll offer some incentives for the08's by then I hope,I hope ,I hope. :) enjoy your car and safe driving.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Absolutely, newcarforme, I would be happy to help you out. In addition to the numbers that you mentioned, make sure to tell me the MSRP as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
This discussion has been closed.