Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing capacity

beach12beach12 Member Posts: 1
I'm a new member and have been trying to get a
question into the Town Hall discussion with no
apparent success. My question is: What kind of
tow vehicle do I need to comfortably tow a fifth
wheel travel trailer with a 15,600 pound GVWR ?? I
would like to avoid diesel and dual rear wheels if
possible. Hope this gets posted OK.
Tagged:

Comments

• truck96truck96 Member Posts: 22
    15,600 pounds is alot of weight, if you tow this frequently the smallest truck i would recommend is the Dodge Cummins diesel with manual transmission. A 3/4 ton with the heavy duty springs might be sufficient with the tailer brakes and such. The reason i recomend the dodge diesel is my grandaddy has one to pull fifth wheel trailer and cattle trailers, it is a awesome truck and will pull almost as if there is no weight behind it. This truck gets 20 mpg mt and about 12 when loaded to max and will last forever. He had a automatic dodge diesel before this one and it had what seemed to be a slipage at take off pulling alot of weight, i don't like a auto for pulling.
    keep us posted on what you get and how it works for you.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    beach12,
    I guess truck96 didn't read your post. If you want a SRW to haul that weight without a diesel--there is only one option. The F-350 with the V-10 gas engine will do it. Dodge doesn't have one-tonners with single rear wheels and Chevy? Ahh Who cares. LOL!
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..as much as I don't like diesels and DRW's....I would have to say get them...

Maybe not the DRW...but the diesel for sure..

Since Roc won't tell you the Chevy options....the new Duramax diesel with the Allison tranny will be a good combo in the new Chevy HD line..

The 8.1 gas they have coming may do the trick also?

You said comfortable....so the bigger the better...aka 1 ton if available in what you want?...but I think Diesel is the way to go for comfort...in any of the big 3.

....(how come no Tundra is mentioned here??),,,,geez.....but it's so awesome!!
    ..yeah right...

Good Luck

- Tim
    Tim,
    Unfortunately for Dodge, they only have DRW. Unfortunately for GM, they don't have a good diesel. All Ford baby! LOL! 8.1? Yeah.....sure...over the V-10? Hmmm
    I know the 6.5 sux....That's why I said the Duramax..

- Tim
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if you wait for the Duramax, you'll get the most powerful diesel on the market. More importantly, you can get the best automatic tranny on the market, hands-down, the Allison 1000. It will be the only tranny on the market that can handle those loads, AND outlast the rest of the truck. my uncle works at an Allison-D/D shop, and he's seen several versions of the tranny. The trany is used very frequently in large motorhome applications now, and owners love absolutely love the tranny. (My uncle has already put his name in at the local dealers for ordering one.) The Duramax/Allison combo in the new HD GM trucks would be perfect, if you want to wait.

if you don't want to wait, the best choice would be the F350, single wheel with Powerstroke. It will pull just as well. for that load, i would recommend the manual transmission.

If you really don't like the diesel, the Ford V10 can easily handle the load, as well as the new GM 8.1 (when it gets here). but I think if you are doing long trips with that type of load, fuel mileage with the gasoline would be a major concern, and the diesel really would be optimal.
    cdean,

There is an Aerosmith song for you: Dream on.

LOL!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    about what...you're saying that the 230/500 Powerstroke and NV tranny will be a better combo than the 300/510 Duramax and Allison this fall?

I do like Aerosmith. Time for you to sing!!
    Ok Roc....if you think the Ford will be a better combo than the chevy....I must have your head inspected for too many Miller Lite intakes..

When it comes out...another Aerosmith song can be played....get a leash for the Ford to wear...and the Chevy can hold it....while singing:

.."I'll show you how to walk the dog"

- Tim

LOL
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The Ford is here and now, the Chevy is still just out there.

Tim, nice of you to take time out from those protests going on in Detroit and Ontario to post with your truck buddies!
    I am multi-talented you know....

- Tim
    Ahhh...beer.....
    .....Less filling??
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    .... Tastes great!
    can remember when those lines first came out.....or the "start" of comic beer ads..(and the whole beer craze)...you know you are old.

You know you are old when you remember watching the first "in the front Row" commercial

LOL

- Tim
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    You mention a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for the trailer... But not the actual GVW (Gross Vehicle Rate)...

My suggestion would be to get an accurate number on the ACTUAL weight (GVW) of the trailer you're hauling, including luggage, equipment, etc. (it's likely to be FAR less than the GVWR).

Then, get to a dealership, get someone who knows how to reference a trailersing guide, and come up with a truck that has a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) which exceeds the GVWR plus GVW of your trailer.
  • remington5remington5 Member Posts: 4
    I pull a 5th that weighs in at 14000 loaded. triple axle, Yellowstone with a 99 F-350 diesel 6 speed manual, SRW. I have to tell you that I have towed this trailer from NJ to FL and as far west as Ohio. The truck flattens out the longest hill pulls in western PA. I rarely have to pull it out of OD. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Look up rvusa.com for more towing info and look in the bulletin board nad/or chat
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.