Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB FUEL ECONOMY 3.9 4.7 5.9

ford250ford250 Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I would like to know what kind of fuel economy you
owners are getting with any of these engines in
your truck thanks.

Comments

• Options
    themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Check post #10 in Topic #1943...
  • Options
    ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    ford250 - My latest MPG update: 4400 miles on my QC SLT+ 4.7, 3.92, T&H package, K&N air filter, tonneau, about 75% highway, 25% moderate city, A/C on most of the time (New Orleans area..and it's been HOT!!) and the occasional lead foot to keep my ego happy with that 4.7. MPG after yesterdays fillup: 18.1 MPG no complaints here...
  • Options
    ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    Sorry.. I left this out: 2WD with the Automatic.
  • Options
    bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Check topic #1943 post #18...
    Allen-
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Just turned 1,900 miles. 4.7, 5 sp, LSD, T&H package, stock air filter and exhaust system. I'm getting 15+ to 17+ with most driving going to and from work 6-7 miles each way.
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Spike, you're doink okay, considering that your terrain is not anywhere as flat as we experience in Eastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey. Actually, you run a short distance that does not provide the opportunity for the engine to warm and stabalize along with the inertia created during longer runs.

Bookitty
  • Options
    I've burnt out a lot of mufflers this way not getting everything hot enough to be above the condensation temperature of sulfur acid. I figure I'll get to put on a Flowmaster, Gibson, etc. sooner.
  • Options
    adelucaadeluca Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting 12 in the city and about 16 to 18 on the highway. (Most of my driving is city) I am quite disappointed with the 12 MPG I am getting in the city... I try to drive it lightly..
  • Options
    Tony, your milege report does not reflect on two important aspects. 2WD or 4WD? Also, the ratio of your differential, 3.55 or 3.92. Another consideration would be the amount of miles on the odometer. For city driving, 12 MPG with 4WD and a 3.92 in Western, PA (hilly terrain) does not sound
    as if it were "out of the question." As you put more miles on your vehicle, it will tend to improve. The reason I am using the 3.92 as an example, is because many times if a dealer orders one with a towing package, they will opt for that ratio to assure maximum capacity. I would be curious to learn the other facts as regards your truck. Tony, if you have not done so, go to the owner's club section of Edmunds for Dodge Dakota and sign up as a member. There are a great number of people there to help out with information, advice, etc.

Bookitty
  • Options
    sambone1sambone1 Member Posts: 5
    I am now working on the third tank with about 600 miles on a 4.7, 2wd, 5 speed, 3.55, QC. The overhead computer is showing 15.2 average mpg. (and still climbing) Best I can figure I'm getting about 13/14 city - 19/20 hwy.

PS - I don't think the AC has been turned off yet.
  • Options
    jones27jones27 Member Posts: 42
    Just put 1500 miles on the truck during vacation driving from east central illinois to Little Rock, AR. I had two bikes mounted on a rack on the trailer hitch. I got 15 mpg on the way to Arkansas and 18.7 on the way back. It is 500 miles of flat highway, but I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock has a ton a truck traffic so you can't use your cruise. Without the bikes mounted on the trailer hitch, I averaged about 19-20mpg. Wish it was better, but I'm not complaiing too much. The truck now has 6,300 miles on it.

Bought gas for $1.40 per gallon at Sam's Club in North Little Rock. Haven't seen that price since April here in Illinois!
  • Options
    pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    I run a nightly delivery route with this vehicle configuration and get right at 13 MPG on the 35 mile route. I've never seen this truck get over 16 MPG. Really very disapointing.
  • Options
    bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    Club cab Sport with 3.92, 4.7L, 5 spd.,4x4, T+H package, 1800 lbs. package, and cruse. I can get 17+ mpg on average with both city/highway driving (empty). I can get 15+ mpg with a 1400 lbs. NothStar slide-in pop-up camper at 70 mph. on the highway. I usually tow a small boat (700 lbs.) when I have the camper on the truck. I get better mpg the slower I drive. Wind kills the mpg. with the camper on the truck. I once went up to Walden, Colo. and got 17+ mpg., but the never went over 55 mph.
  • Options
    resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    '00 Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7, 3.55, auto, lsd, tire & handling, HD service, tow package, A/C, cab height bed cap.

Took a road trip last week, 1800 miles round trip from North Carolina to Upstate New York. 2 adults, 2 kids, weeks luggage and supplies. 75 mph using cruise control most of the way. 17.9 hwy. 13-14 mpg city.

Started trip with 1800 miles on the truck, ended with 3600. Three weeks ago took a 1000 mile round trip from North Carolina to Atlanta Ga. Got two more 500 mile round trips scheduled for next week. 5000 miles in six weeks. Tough first month for the new truck. Hope to settle down soon to a much more common 1000-1200 miles a month.
  • Options
    bfergbferg Member Posts: 2
    '99 2WD reg. cab, 3.9, 3.55 gears, auto. tranny, A/C 95% of the time, no cruise control, 75% highway driving (16 miles each way to work), 26,000 miles. Averaging 17.5-20.7 MPG.
  • Options
    bfergbferg Member Posts: 2
    The MPG has gone up about .5-.75 MPG with the Continental Mark V high wedge fiberglass cap over what I was getting with the tonneau cover I put on when I bought it new 10/1/98.
  • Options
    dbranch1dbranch1 Member Posts: 1
    '00 4WD QC, 4.7, 3.55, Auto, LSD, 4000 miles, mostly city driving, 12 mpg. I am very disappointed in my gas mileage. The sticker said 15 city - 19 hwy. I thought I would do better than that. Houston is flat, no hills. Put K&N filter and Flowmaster exhaust. Little or no effect on mpg. Took hwy trip this weekend for 170 miles at 70 mph got 17.5 mpg on computer but I usually like to drive 75 or 80 mph on hwy. RPM at 70 over 2100(?). My wife's '00 Suburban, 2WD, 3.73 does about 1800 or 1900 RPM at 70 mph. I don't get it. I had '95 GMC Z71, 4WD, 5.7, 3.73, LSD (much heavier) and got 2-3 mpg better in city and hwy. I like the truck but don't understand 12 mpg in the city. I usually ease along with no quick accel.
  • Options
    Have the 4.7 L, 5 sp, 3.55 rear end, T&H group (31x10.5 15's), soft tonneau cover, and routinely drive 8 miles to and 8 miles from work in south central PA. Took delivery on May 4 and just recently passed the 3,000 mile mark running on 87 octane stuff. First oil change was around 2,800. Plan to go to Mobil 1 (oil and filter) with next change at about the 6,000 mark.

My most frequent mpg's are between 15.3 to 15.8. My range to date has been from a low of 15.3 to 17.9 mpg.
  • Options
    snowedinsnowedin Member Posts: 58
    in my 4.7L, 5 sp, 3.55 lsd, T&H group, 4x4 with 5,500 mi. was after a 300 (highway) mile trip consistently staying below 70mph earning me 18.5mpg.
  • Options
    I guess I forgot to also say that I have a 4x4 Quad.
  • Options
    pamaro1pamaro1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a Dakota quad cab V6 automatic, but I'm really concerned about the gas mileage.
    For every bad review I also see a good one. What is the real deal? I live in Houston. I will not be towing. What are your comments? and are you happy about the mileage your getting?
    Please advise.....Thanks
  • Options
    pamaro1pamaro1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a Dakota quad cab V6 automatic. The perception I have from reading all these comments is the transmission is suspect to problems and failures.
    Should this stop me from buying? Should I be worried?
    What has been your experience?
  • Options
    You note that you're thinking about the V-6. Besides being an "old design" engine (a cut down version of the 318 cu. in), the V-6 is mated to an "old design" automatic transmission (or a manual trans). The only V-6/Auto problems I've seen in these forums has been due to towing while in overdrive (4th gear). The gas mileage being the same or less than the new 4.7L V-8 has also been noted probably because with less horsepower many have gone with the 3.92 rear end rather than the 3.55.

All of the commotion has been about the new "multi-speed" computer controlled automatic that can be mated to the 4.7L V-8. Both the 4.7L and the Multi-speed's computer modules "learn" your driving style and this seems to have been a source of "new-owner anxiety" where its not acting like you think it should and the slipping does eat into the gas mileage. Also, there have been some serious problems where the transmissions have failed or are starting to sound like they will.

I have a 4x4 Quad with the 4.7L and a 5 sp. manual transmission. The window sticker stated that the gas mileage is better than the V-6 set-up but this all depends on how heavy one's foot is. I can't remember seeing anyone posting about manual transmission problems and to date mine (trans and clutch) has performed well. I figure I've gotten the best engine and the best transmission in the best truck.

I chose the Quad because it had more internal room for stuff I want to lock up and being a boy scout leader I'm also hauling kids somewhere. Although the bed is smaller than the Club Cab, I'm only hauling stone, bushes, etc. for around the house and a dead deer if I'm lucky during the hunting seasons.
  • Options
    themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    If I were you in Houston (I'm in Midland - similar flat terrain, but arid climate) and were simply worrying about ecaonomy or the new autos, I'd opt for the manual tranny with the V-6; the auto or the manual w/ the 4.7 engine. Why? The V-6 auto tranny in the 01's and up will have the same multi-spd unit that the 00's had with the 4.7's. So unless you get a leftover 00, you'll get the same auto I got w/ my 00 4.7. And it seems you're overly concerned about reliablilty, which is simply NOT the case. Personally, I can't imagine buying the V-6, and I was facing your same dilemma back in Oct. I chose the auto/4.7 combo because I've driven Porsches for about 15 years, and as good as they are (the very best on Earth), I'm SICK of shifting. Especially ANY vehicle that costs over 20k. And I still want some decent power, and in my extensive vehicle testing the 4.7 beat everything (and I mean everything) on the market. Plus, I've found manuals hurt resale a bunch out here. Nobody, it seems, wants to shift any more than they have to; and for 20k+, they just don't seem to have to.

The power contest 'isn't,' as the 4.7 is the best of the best. As for mpg penalties, just keep your foot out of it and the 4.7 (even w/ auto) will get high teens - maybe 20-21 at 65mph or less. The low-end mpg should be in the mid-teens around town. I'd guess you'd average about 16.5-18 in Houston with that combo; with the V-6 manual you'd probably beat that by 1-2 mpg, and simply not have as much fun, AND have a real resale monster on your hands in a few years. So it's probably a false economy over time.

Get the 4.7 with a manual or the auto - there's a a very good reason most of us do/did. ;-)

I've got 22k HARD miles on mine now - no problems except a blown relay - the 4.7/auto tranny is an exceptional combo I'd not hesitate to buy again. my mpg keeps creeping upwards - now about 16 city / 19 hwy average. My window sticker says 15/ 20. Not bad, and it gets better as I learn to stay out of the throttle, letting my powerband stay 'rich.'
  • Options
    I have the 4.7 with auto, lsd, t&h, hd service group. Took a 500 mile road trip one week ago. 17.9 mpg @ 70-75 mph. Yesterday took the same trip, same roads, same load, similar weather. Only difference was I installed a K&N drop in air filter (33-2084) on Thursday. Yesterdays milage was 18.4 mpg @ 70-75 mph. .5 mpg increase by changing air filters.

Hit 5000 miles on the vehicle yesterday. Milage has been creeping up with every tankfull. Hope that never ends.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I have noted that too. My 4.7 would NEVER get to 200 miles at 1/2 a tank for the first 4-6K miles. Now with 12K miles on it, I ALWAYS hit 200 miles by 1/2 tank.

My last fillup was after 320 miles on ONE TANK of fuel. (I have the smaller tank)

PS: I realize thes numbers are not the 'standard' MPG readings but they are my 'seat of the pants' measurements I can perform on-the-fly. My RELATIVE readings at each fillup keep getting better.
  • Options
    mcbike57mcbike57 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking real hard at a new dodge Dakota(4X4,AUTO,oh heck pretty much all the options) Any advice or pointers from current owners would be appreciated. Thanks much.
  • Options
    Tim,I own a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Quad Cab with the 4.7 and a 5 speed. My truck has the 3.55 limited differential (rear), skid plates, block heater, tow package,Heavy Duty Service, 6X9 power mirrors, SLT, SLT+, tire and handling group, overhead convenience group, ad infinitum. I recommend the 4.7, especially with an automatic. If you are not going to be towing a heavy trailer constantly, I would opt for the 3.55 ratio rears with LSD. Skid plates are nice to have especially if you off-road and in deep snow or mud. I don't personally care for all wheel ABS, power or bucket seats, and a radio upgrade would be a waste of money for me in particular. It is a great truck and you would do well to join in at the Dakota Owners Club, listed under conferences. There is a window on the left margin labeled conferences, click on the scroll arrow, and then on "Owners Clubs" and scroll down to Dakota. We welcome you, and you will find friendly, unchallenging and knowledgeable people there who are willing to answer questions and offer advice. Did you know, that there is a $500.00 discount available to Farm Bureau members, and we can show you how to join. Hope to see you there.

Bookitty
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    My 01 is getting better with each fillup. 15.0 first tank, 15.6 second tank and 16.2 last fill. $.7 w/A & 3.92 lsd. The engine and transmssion are as smooth as silk.
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    We just got back from a 350 mile trip, first half was steady 55mph with the windows open, got a high of 21.7 mpg on the computer display. Drove 50 miles or so in city stop and go, return trip was on the interstate. Steady 65mph with the air conditioning on. Overall mileage for trip turned out to be 20.5 mpg. 4.7L 2wd 5 speed 3.55 rear. Rick.
    P.S. first time it broke 20 mpg, now has 4,200 miles.
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    I've had my Dakota for 3 weeks now and some interesting numbers are beginning to emerge. I have a '00 SLT 4X4 4.7L 5-speed with a 3.92 axle and LSD. My last tank full got 17.2 MPG in what I call all-purpose driving around the Tucson area. This is a mix of city and hiway with the A/C blasting nearly full time. I haven't taken any real lengthy road trips yet, so I don't have any numbers to share for strictly hiway driving.
    What has become interesting is that my fuel costs between my Dakota and my previous truck ('99 Mazda B3000 4X4 5-speed) is only $5.00 (or less) per week. The Mazda got a solid 20.x MPG during an average week of driving. But I had to run hi-test in the darn thing because of a severe pinging problem with the 3.0L V6. Shoot, for 5 bucks (or less) per week, I'll drive that sweet V8 and just keep smiling!
    I really like this truck. Unique looking, great drive train, roomy and comfortable. The Dakota is a real keeper. I was holding out for a 2001 Ranger or Mazda with the 4.0L SOHC V6. But I test drove the Dakota on a whim and was smitten. I'm glad I gave it a try. Great truck...
  • Options
    fat_fendersfat_fenders Member Posts: 96
    I just finished my first tank of gas in my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab, 4X4, P265/70R/16 tires, 3.55 LSD rear-end. Mixed driving, 16 mpg on 336 miles, a/c on 75% of the time and I've "tested" acceleration more than I should have. I love the sound this truck makes when you get on it, not to mention the kick in the pants!

The computer indicated 17.3 mpg but I didn't reset the computer when I picked the Quad up from the dealer this week. (I didn't know how at the time...)

I also noted that the Low Fuel warning light (and chime) came on just as I was exiting the Interstate to stop for gas. It took exactly 20 gallons to fill the tank, indicating a 4 gallon "reserve" at least when MY light comes on.

The taller tires will increase mpg so I'll be interested where it levels off in 2-3000 miles. I'm very happy with my initial mileage as the window sticker indicated 13/18.

fat_fenders
  • Options
    craiginct1craiginct1 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the comments about performance and mileage on your Dakota trucks! This is VERY helpful. We are looking to replace my wife's 13 year old (faithful) Ford Ranger S. We are interested in the Dakota Quad Cab because it seems to blend four door accessibility with power, elbow room, options, and mileage... a combination that appears rare in today's truck market. We looked at one last Saturday but did not drive it, yet.

As we get ready for retirement and the unpredictable winters here in CT, we figured that a 4wd would be handy. We are a bit unsure about the choice between the 3.9 and the 4.7. We aren't into road rage or road racing, but with the occasional New England winters and all the hills, my guess is that the 4.7 would be better to power the 4wd. Yes? Yet, we don't do off-road stuff so we'd want the best rear gears for highway driving. Any comments and recommendations based on your experiences? sounds like ABS is a plus since I don't like the rear swinging around on me. LSD rear? who knows? Definitely manual shift for both of us for mileage boost and we like the control.

Any quirks about fuel tank size or placement? or anything else? and what about front seat sizes for us bigger guys on a long haul? I'm 6'1" and 220lbs, used to driving a Grand Marquis... what do you think? will I be able to stand long hours on the road in the Dakota Quad Cab? May the Lord Jesus bless you all for any thoughts and help you may offer. Thanks. direct emails are welcome also: cmarsz@erols.com
  • Options
    Check the Dakota Owners conference FAQ for more information about LSD. Nearly everyone seems to think it is a good idea for on-road use, regardless of 4x2 or 4x4.

I am not sure what kind of quirks one would have with a fuel tank. Unless you are talking about the old chevies with side tanks that blow up. Anyway the Quad fuel tank is located in between the rails. The Quad has a 24 gallon tank that signals at 1/8 tank that you are low on fuel. That normally means you still have 4 gallons of fuel left. I have not been able to overfill the tank. Put in the nozzle and dispense till it automatically shuts off. Try to put more fuel in and the nozzle refuses. It is full.

I am 6' - 6'1" and 235. Depending on where your height is, it is remarkably comfortable. There is gobs of leg room so if you are tall in the legs and short in the body, No problem. Conversely, if you are tall in the body, your head will rub the re-enforcement bar in the ceiling of the cab. The buckets seats are high on the sides to hold you in so if you have large thighs, it may seem cramped.

I have 4000 miles of highway trips in the last 8 weeks. I was comfy. Mine tends to pull to the right so I spend more time than I want fighting the pull so I had some shoulder strain as a result of that. We had 2 adults and 2 kids for all those miles. Rode very smooth on the highway. Tracker trailers passing by do not cause the vehicle to sway. Low road noise, nice stereo. The wheel base for the Quad is probably pretty similar to your Grand Marquis. Long wheel base smooths out bumps but remember this is a truck and not a sedan. It will ride stiffer.

Check out the owners conference for the Quad. Lots of stuff about what people like/don't like. Good reviews of accessories.
  • Options
    This is NOT right and will wear your tires prematurely. (You are going sideways down the road!)

Make CERTAIN that you lodge a complaint with your dealer.

I had a new Honda with bad alignment from factory. The dealer agreed to do an alignment for free. I pointed out that the front tires were PERMANENTLY damaged so they put 4 NEW Nokia tires on it.!!! (I would expect this kind of service from my Dodge dealer too!)
  • Options
    Pertinant to this forum.... poor alignment will reduce MPG.
  • Options
    lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Interesting, though, that this was one of the things Edmunds observed in their review of the QC.
  • Options
    I agree that pull is not normal. Took the vehicle in two weeks after I bought it and had the front end aligned by the dealer. They gave me a receipt from the alignment computer listing the before and after. I have also had the front bumper aligned by the dealer since it sagged on the same side.

I still have minor pull and the front tires are cupping on the outside edges. I have 5850 miles so it is due for its 6000 mile alignment, tire rotation, and balance next week. I am hoping that clears up the pull.

Thanks for the concern. Around town milage is 12.3 with 4.7, auto, lsd, t&h. Maybe this is part of the poor milage. Someone else posted the new window stickers say 13/18 instead of 15/20. 13/18 is more what I am getting.
  • Options
    blubelleblubelle Member Posts: 23
    It is possible that the pull is being cause by the rack and pinion steering mechanism not being hydraulicly centered. Not real common but it used to occur on Volvo rack and pinion drives. It can simply be checked by having the dealer jacking up the front end and seeing if the steering drifts right or left while the engine is running and the steering wheel is netural. Don't ask me how to correct it. For what it's worth. Be careful!
  • Options
    quad_cab_manquad_cab_man Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 1st tank of fuel mpg came out to be 23-mpg most of it was highway not bad for the V-8 thanks DODGE.
  • Options
    schnestschnest Member Posts: 1
    There must be something wrong with my quad cab. I have the 4x4 3.9 V6 with auto transmission, I took two trips (mostly highway), truck was loaded with standard camping gear and I only got under 14 mpg both times. Truck has 7600 miles on it. Are you guys claiming 23 mpg trying to hide something?
  • Options
    (schnest) You must have forgottin to read the window-stickers. That old 1960's based V6 is rated with LOWER MPG than the new 4.7LV8 Hemi.

I was surprized by this too when I first read the window stickers. You have a BIG truck being powerd by an ineffecient engine....

THe $$ you saved in not getting the 4.7L will be spent in fuel over the life of the vehicle.
  • Options
    450hpcam450hpcam Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of buying a 4.7 crew cab Dakota.what is your experiences with the two different trannies? like gas milege and power?
  • Options
    I have the Dakota Quad cab with the 4.7 and the manual five speed transmission. I bought the five speed for the following reasons.
    1- Preference
    2- Affords me a bit better control when driving on ice, snow and in other less than optimal conditions.

I'm not certain as to the power and mileage, and the latter if based on highway driving could actually show improvement over the manual by the automatic. Then there are the various factors such as rear end ratio and 2WD versus 4WD. From the postings in this forum, I am certain that whichever you choose, if it meets your personal and particular needs, it will more than satisfy you as it is a great truck. It will be more difficult to locate a manual transmission "on the ground" and you would most likely have to order the vehicle. This is the best answer I could come up with based on the limited input of the query and restricted by my personal experience.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Just took a 400 round trip Labor Day weekend with my 01 Quad, 4X4, 4.7L, Auto, 3.55 LSD, leather, HD pkgs, factory tow pkg, 3 adults and two children in the cab.

I pulled a 1700 lb, 12' Starcraft pop-up @ 70-75 mph for entire trip, averaging 16.3 mpg. The Quad had about 1100 miles on it when we left. I'm happy with that and would expect a slight improvement in mpg with more miles on it.

Thoughts -

Power - This truck's power is impressive. No problem passing semi's going 70 mph and accelerating to get around, all while towing. Could barely tell I was pulling a 1700lb load. Gives a sense of confidence not available with my '94 V6 EX-plorer. Power was also noted when leaving stoplights or pulling onto highway. No problem when needing to get up to highway speed quickly!

Transmission - in a word; SMOOTH. O/D worked just fine. On hilly stretches, I disengaged O/D when trans started to "hunt". Seems to be an entirely different set of gearing with O/D disengaged. My guess is that w/out O/D, gearing puts trans closer to power-band of motor. Acceleration w/out O/D was effortless, even uphill. Engine did tend to wind out a bit more when accelerating in O/D. Engine speed @70mph; w/OD about 2200rpm, w/out OD about 2900rpm. Difference in mileage indicated by overhead computer, about 2 mpg. (RPMs estimated due to limited markings on tach.)

Comfort - Drove about 200 miles in around 3 hours without stopping. My back wouldn't have lasted that long in my '94 EX-plorer. Adult passenger in back felt seat was extremely comfortable. Could use a bit more leg room to keep legs from cramping. A periodic leg stretch over the center console helped...

Towing - Pulls my camper straight and steady. My EX-plorer tended to fish-tail a bit when changing lanes. Quad's wheel base and stiffer suspension is probably the difference. I had it going 80mph for a couple minutes and even at that speed, the Quad was smooth and could have done more but...not while towing and with family on board.

Suspension - Very nice ride. However, this IS a truck and over rougher roads, you do tend to get bounced around a little. Maybe more weight in the box would help as I only had two coolers of priorities in there (food, beer). Rear suspension barely moved with tongue weight of trailer added.

Sorry for long post as most of this is outside of topic, but rather than post twice, I put it all here.

fat_fenders
  • Options
    lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Which Starcraft do you have? (I have the Meteorite.)
  • Options
    want1badwant1bad Member Posts: 15
    '00 Quad 4WD 4.7L 5spd 3.92 T&H Tow LSD

Vehicle had 350 miles on it when I took delivery.
    Trip odometer said 297 miles.

filled up 17.95 gal (topped off)

driving style:
    about 1/3 highway (65-80mph), 2/3 city

Occasional loss of self-restraint (ie havin' fun)
    OK, fairly often.

BTW, gas gauge read 1/8 tank, and gas lite just
    came on.
  • Options
    I have a 1995 (I think???) Nova, sleeps 6, A/C, Furnace, 12V/LP Fridge, awning w/screened enclosure. Unlike vehicles, I didn't really pay much attention to the year once I bought it. :-)Nice camper. Bought used this Spring in excellent condition. I believe at the time it was sold new, it was top of the line in Starcraft pop-ups.

The 1700 lbs was loaded. It's about 1480 empty.

fat_fenders
  • Options
    Like bookitty, I also have the 5sp on a 4.7L with LSD, 3.55 rear, T&H package. boo forgot to add that the 5sp is about $1,000 less expensive.

Another criteria to judge by is if you're married or not. Auto if not, 5sp if you are - have to keep your hands busy doing somethin'.
  • Options
    ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    OK, 11,832 miles, but close enough.
    Note: 2K 2wd Quad 4.7 5spd 3.55lsd
    I have purchased 562 gallons of gas ($852.00) for a truck:
    Average 21.1 MPG
    Best 23.6 MPG
    Worst 15.3 MPG (pulling a popup camper)
    I love this 5spd. It's so close to my old 5.0 5spd Mustang, that I can get carried away. I agree with Boo on the winter driving. In Michigan I would much rather have a stick than an auto in the snow.
This discussion has been closed.