Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Snowplowing-1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

andoc90andoc90 Member Posts: 1
can someone please give me a little advice? I am
fairly new to the snowplowing world and not quite
sure which model would be best for my needs. I am
planning on ordering a 2001 Silverado this fall
and will be doing a little plowing (a couple short
driveways-no commercial stuff). What would be the
best model to choose and any other optional
equipment that would be of benefit? I currently am
using an old style Chevy 1/2 ton with a Western
plow. I plan to keep the new truck about six years
and can't stand it when things break down.
Also, does anyone out there have any experience
with the Curtis snowplows??
Thanks to anyone offering advice!
Tagged:

Comments

• swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    if your putting one of those designed for a Blazer or Sport Ute the 1/2 ton will do, but I wouldn't put a full size plow on a 1/2 ton. You can get a 3/4 ton with a snow plow prep package not offered on 1/2 tons (last time I checked). Plus you can get a 5.3L engine (2wd), but I suspect you'd opt for the 4X4. 3/4 ton suspension, brakes, etc., handle it better...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    A dealer told me that a Ext cab Z71 is the only 1/2 ton you should plow with. Something about with how its built the shocks and such. I see many 1/2 chevy ext cab Z71 with plows around here and many do just small plowing nothing major

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..Ryan..do you even know what Z71 is?

Has nothing to do with how it's built..it's the same as a 4x4 non Z71.

Throw a decal,46MM shocks,and skid plates on for a Z71!

Personally If I plowed snow...I'd get a 3/4 ton...and not because I have one...because it's more apt to handle the heavy abuse plowing takes on.

Every serious plower, or anyone doing it for years with the same truck around here have a 3/4 or 1 ton.

- Tim
    I dont remember offhand something about the bigger shocks. Also its a heavier truck than a reg cab that plays into it too. For all i know the guy could have and probably was throwing BS my way but i do see an awful lot of 1/2 Z71 ext cabs with plows. Cant say id do it.

Tim i do know what the Z71 PKG is. The skid plates themselves were well worth the $365. They saved the underneath of my truck the day it got scratched. I have a nice mark on it to prove it.

Ryan
    - Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Subtract that from Z71, then add the skid plate. Don't forget, oversize air cleaner too.
    The nicer looking decal

TIm just out of curiosity all jokes aside did u remove your 4x4 sticker??? I was just wondering today. I dont think you did but im not sure

Ryan
    oops, different vehicles...
    I got the Z85. 36 instead of 46 shocks..but I got a better ride (although Quad disagrees based on ...well...based on he has not owned one!)..and stiffer suspension than a Z71...so who cares!
    ..Already has S.bars. Heavier suspension than Z71. HD air cleaner was free. Skids were about $80?
    So..walahh!
    I have a 2500 Z71..only better..
    4x4 sticker looks not as good as Z71...but it grows on you..(no..I did not take it off)..
    ..So I have all that a Z71 has and more...except the sticker...and If you think that sticker will give you any advantage Ryan...well...I will take your 1500 on any day..

LOL

- Tim
    Is this a challenge? I know your truck is "stronger" with the haevier suspension it can tow and haul more. Oh bigger engine too more power.
    But there is really not many more advantages or disadvantages between the 2. Oh i do have 1 advantage i have the locking rear and better looking rims

Ryan

haha
    ..the rims give you an off road advantage!

LOL

The big bad Z71 Off Road...is really not much more capable of any off roading than any other 4x4 of any brand...

But they do sell..that's for sure

People even call the trucka Z71 instead of a Silverado..

95% of buyers have no clue what is different...they just think...hey!..it's for off road!

- Tim
    The sticker says offroad. So it must be capable.

Ryan

haha
    Maybe the sticker can serve a dual purpose...uhh...It comes off...and sticks to a tree...and stretches and connects to the truck..and catapults it out of the mud....then slaps itself back on to the truck and waits for the next mud hole...

LOL

- Tim
    Tim, stop your pusillanimous mewl.
    Them damn stickers only cost $8.94 each?

Ryan
    ...that sticker makes it go thru anything!

LOL

- Tim
    Mine goes through water just like a boat. It really did go through alot of water all this damn rain. Even the ducks thought the roads were a river today they were swimming down a major stretch of road this morning it was a very nice traffic jam.

Ill try a brickwall tonight ill let u know how that went.

Ryan
    Isn't this about snowplows though? Tim and Ryan should have their own room - but what would we name it??? Good luck on this one now...
    "F3"

....(the fender flare forum)

LOL

- Tim
    pusiwilimus mewl or however it is. That could be just for you two. LOL - just kidding.

Seriously though, I'd like to get a four wheeler with a plow on it. New Yamaha Kodiak 4X4 would be nice. Anybody want to donate to this worthwild fund???
    I know someone who just bought that new Kodiak. It's really sharp.
    has push button 4 wheel drive, liquid cooled motor, automatic, your right - very sharp. Haven't been able to convince the old lady yet...
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    If you want to do anymore than plow your own driveway get the 3/4 ton with the plow pkg ... One only has to think of the added weight of the plow and then look at the size difference of front suspension componets 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 -1 ton and the choice is obvious. The heavier front spring of the plow package will also keep the front end from being pulled down while driving with the plow attached
  • mainebowtiemainebowtie Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000, 1500 reg cab short bed that I have a plow on and it's fine. It's all in how you use it. I ordered it with the 5.3, plow package ( yes it's available on the 1500) and locking rear. I have a 7.5 foot Fisher minute mount electric hydraulic plow. All the headgear removes with the plow so everything is off the truck when removed. Also, the plow package has nothing to do with the springs, BTW the 4x4's have torsion bars, not springs. The plow package gives you an engine oil cooler, trans cooler, and HO alternator. I only do my yard and a couple other friends. This didn't strain the truck at all. If you're carefull you won't have any problem with a 1500. You can check out the Fisher site at Fisherplows.com .

Ray
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.