Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs. Nissan Frontier

Comments

• cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    grubbs;
    Your story sounds exactly like mine, I moved into a house and decided to get a truck for all of those weekend projects my girlfriend had me do! This was around 97 I started looking, I had an old accord, I was seriously thinking about the hardbody Nissans until the frontier came out, it had a much better ride, was quieter, had more power and more convenience features, I got it. This was my first truck, I am so pleased after two years I may stay with a truck, it was not hard for me to get used to the differences bewtween the truck and a car, good luck
  • vitahawkvitahawk Member Posts: 14
    Grubbs. I think you need to look at the main function you need your vehicle for. If it is commuting to work, I would go away from a truck. I mainly use a truck for hunting/fishing which is seasonal. I usually buy a used one to justify having multiple vehicles. For me, trucks are a necessity for my hobbies as well as domestic responsibilities. Good luck with your choice.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    I bought my first pickup, a Toyota Tacoma, back in '96 and now can't imagine how I could live without one. It's a very common story: I bought a house (actually was building one at the time) and needed a pickup to haul all the odds and ends plus tools. Pickups are just so darn useful. If you had asked me about pickups back before '95, I'd tell you they are for rednecks and nobody else. :-)

I now drive a '99 Frontier 4x2 kingcab 5sp. Very nice truck for the money. Quieter and bit bigger truck than the Tacoma, but is little thirstier on gas. You need to evaluate your own needs to see which size/style truck fit you best. If 95% commuting and once in a long while light-duty hauling, then a 5sp ext. cab compact pickup is ideal. Most fall into this category.

Being used to driving hot-hatch GTIs, I had no problem adjusting to riding in a pickup other than having to respect the limited handling and traction compared to most performance cars. VNH is no worse than your ordinary compact car.

If you do decide to get one, you will appreciate it the very first time you watch some hapless chap at the Home Depot parking lot trying hopelessly to shoehorn a sheet of 4x8 plywood into a sedan. :-) I tried not to laugh everytime, but I'm sorry, I just can't help it. :-D
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Obyone (knobe?), cncman, volfy, vitahawk:

Thanks for your comments and insight regarding my post. I purchased a Salsa red Frontier 4x2 (as opposed to a 2x4, oops) king cab, 5 speed, 4 cylinder. It came with the value truck package, over rail bedliner, and matts. I required that I got the following add-ons at dealer cost (or at least they were discounted from a total of about $670 to $430): fender flairs, step rails & hood bug deflector. Total price: $15,011 + ttl-$1,000 rebate. Not bad? Also, the truck has some fancy decals along the side. They said either pay $240 more or choose another truck. I paid $30. Sorry for the lenght and detail. I will make this post my home as I couldn't find a Frontier post.
  • mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    Congrats Grubbs, hope you enjoy your new truck. Sounds like you got a good deal! :)
    Enjoy your new truck. Be sure to go easy on her during the break-in period. BTW, it's unusual to see a 4x2 come with step rails. Good deal.

Understood about not having a Frontier-specific topic. For some reason, Frontier owners don't seem to be a chatty bunch. I have been able to swap notes with other owners here from topic to topic though.
  • stloointnstloointn Member Posts: 1
    considering buying tacoma 4x4 next year have been long time nissan owner although 4x2 only .need some sound mechanical advice to convince me on the tacoma. also need some knowledgeable person to tell me about maintence schedule for toyotas bought daughter a corolla and i understand the 3000 miles for oil changes and tire rotations but what about transmission fluid and other scheduled maint. also most dealers charge 350-400 for a 30,000 mile tune-up isnt that pricey. please help!!!! stloointn.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    congrats on the new truck....once a truck owner...can't go back to driving a car... ;)

I was saddened to hear that Obiwan Kenobi had passed away this week. Sir Alec Guiness was a great actor and I'm sure will be missed by a lot of fans...

stloointn

Don't forget the replacement cycle on the timing belt/chain...on Toyotas replacement is not as critical as on Hondas...good luck.

Dean
    Are all the Toyotas free-spinnig motors? My friend had a MR-2 and it was, so he was ok when it broke the car just wouldn't run. I know that Mitsu's aren't a friend of mine was going 70 when hers broke...car was done! He should make sure that Corolla motor is, I think all of Toyotas are.
  • iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    Sounds like grubbs1 got a good deal on the Frontier. Personally, I think that Toyota & Nissan both make great trucks with a great history of reliability. For me, it was just personal preference. I've had several vehicles up to now (cars & trucks) - several Toyotas, 1 Honda, 1 Chevy, and 2 Dodges, and I have just always had excellent luck with Toyotas. I've always been able to just do the regular maintenance and never worry about breaking down.

The Honda needed warranty work at 11,000 miles, and endless adjustments at the dealer. I'm sure they're good, but it wasn't my experience. I've never had a Nissan anything, but I've know lots of people who have and most have never had any problems with them.

After 3 1/2 months and 5500 miles on my 2000 Tacoma 4x2 reg cab, I've had no problems at all, and the mpg has been increasing (gotta love that!). First 3000 miles, I averaged around 23 mpg (70% city 30% hwy). Ever since then, I'm getting about 24-25 mpg (again, mostly city driving - commuting to and from work). I use it for weekend projects a lot, and it's great! It handles a pretty good load very well, with a nice ride, too. I won't be going back to a car anytime soon, that's for sure!
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    but not so much because of the Frontier itself. The last time I bought new was 1989 so I've got the little doubt in my mind thinking I should have gone with a car. However, after test driving about six cars, nothing made me feel the way the truck did. Sorry, I'm turning this into a psycology post.

The truck itself is great. Though I'm still getting used to the ride, I like the general feel of the toughness, the ride height and the utility of the bed (it's been used twice already).

Lets liven this post up a bit! I'm disappointed that there are only a trickle of posts once in a while. Tell me, Tacoma owners, what are your likes and dislikes of your trucks, like iwphill's post? Volfy, our Frontiers are the same...what have been your experiences with your ride?
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Why does Toyo force you use a locker instead of giving you limited slip? Who out there actually stops (and you do have to stop) to engage their lcokers? I personally can't see having a locker unless you head out to Moab and do some boulder crawling. That's about the only place it's uselful. I like the LSD much better personally.
  • bigyotabigyota Member Posts: 2
    i have an 86 22r 4x4 and it runs like a bear. its got 200,500 miles on it. now i'm a jerk to her sometimes and run it without oil(has a small leak i'm trying to find), but she forgives me and i can't keep her down. When I buy another truck, I'm going Toyota..
    I don't think that the engines of today are as strong as the 22R. I had an '81 myself. sweet little engine. they don't make the, like that anymore.
  • donglaidonglai Member Posts: 2
    The Frontier and Tacoma are two different trucks. It really depends on your taste I own a Tacoma 4x4 and let me tell you I love driving that truck. It is definitely not an elegant, smooth riding, quiet and luxurious vehicle. If you are into all that, the Frontier is probably a better truck for you, people have said that the Frontier is a smoother and more refined truck.
    However, if you are into driving for fun, having a powerful engine, and best in the class off-road capability, then by all means go get the Tacoma. It's more fun than the Frontier in my opinion.

Make no mistake that even though the Tacoma is more truckish than the Frontier, it's perfectly livable. I live in NJ and 99.99% of the road here is paved. If I lived in Arizona I'd go offroading every week and definitly go with 4x4.

My friends and I took a 700 mile trip once from New Mexico to the Grand Canyon. We did the round trip in three days in a Geo Tracker (95 hp engine, soft top). A quarter of that trip was offroad...and it was the best trip I have ever had. There was no question for me that when it's time to get my own car I want the most rugged, reliable, offroad capable vehicle out there. Tacoma it was and there was no competition (I can't afford a Humvee or a Defender and Jeep isn't reliable enough...don't want to be stranded at the rim of the Canyon 60 miles from the closest road).
  • donglaidonglai Member Posts: 2
    I agree that for most people driving on the road, limited slip is probably more useful than the locker. However, the locker on the Tacoma is not made for these situations. It's made for emergency offroad situations when you are REALLY stuck. Most people who offroad on a regular basis prefer the locker over limited slip diff and they consider it one of the most valuable features.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    I too had a 22re engine on an old Toyota. Put around 200,000 miles on it. A sweet little engine, durable as could be. BULLETPROOF.
    Soory about the long thread but since your're an avid Toyota fan I thought I would share my 'love ' with you. In fact part of the reason I now own a Nissan is because of my Toyota. I first should tell you I owned the following truck from '92-'94. I have always liked the truck from '80-'83 the best of any of Toyota's years because of body style(which I think that the Tacoma closely resembles)and the solid axle. I traded a co worker my '86 Samuri 4x4 for it(I made out on this deal). Now the Toyota was in much worse condition than my Samuri by far alot of work went into it.
    Yeah, I loved mine and it worked awesome. While I was attending FSU I needed the timing chain replaced. Since I didn't have alot of $$$ I went to the cheapest guy in Tallahasse to replace it but, he didn't replace the oil pump gears and he couldn't seal the cover correctly so the motor was not only leaking alot of oil but it wasn't getting the oil around the engine properly. I must have driven around on that motor for about six months, reving it up at stop lights and stop signs to get the oil to the top of the motor. I finally saved up $600 to buy an '83 Celica engine to replace mine. I went this route because it was about $400 cheaper than a rebuild and I just wanted it to get me through college so after I graduated I could really do it right. I planned on keeping this '81 4x4 longbed forever. I had completely redone the interior new carpet, new dash, Mazda seats that flipped forward so I could get behind the seats. Anyway, I did the trnsplant of both engines: air cleaners, flipping the oil pan and so on. I really good friend of mine who happened to be one of the best mechanics in town let me use the back of his shop. He actually did the installation of the engine and I paid him about $200. But anyways I loved that truck. I even had new decals on order, they were coming from Japan. I had 33" tire with 15x10 rims and a 3" suspension lift. The only complaint I had with the truck, and it was my fault because I didn't do the gear swap yet, was as 'bulletproof' as that engine was it was really weak after I put the big tires on it. Engine mods were soon to come. But, now she's gone and I never got to finish her. Maybe one day I'll take on another it'll have to be an '83 though I like the grills better and the transmission doesn't have welded gears on the input shaft(the '81 was the only year they did that, figures right? a you can tell I had the tranny rebuild after bearing failure)but these little guys are hard to find in stock condition. I used to love shopping for it. Every now and then I break out the pictures :)
  • jim4040jim4040 Member Posts: 1
    Hola Amigos - I have an '87 Nissan SE V6 with 270,000 on it. Change the oil every 4,000 and the silly rubber timing belt every 80,000 and it just goes on and on. When I bought my first Nissan P/U the dealer said 'drive it, don't baby it, its a P/U'. Boy was he ever right. But I've heard that Nissan's redoing the Frontier cause its not manly enough - sales and comments seem to back this up. I'm thinking Toyo Taco, but your posted comments have me rethinking this.
  • jessejamesjessejames Member Posts: 2
    I have just read this thread, and now I don't feel so lonely in the world. ;-)

I too am trying to make that switch from car to truck for the reasons of getting into a house which will mean I will need to carry things.

In my case, the car I have is a last generation Mazda RX7 twin-turbo...my baby!

I tested a 1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 (auto) with 36K miles. The dealership here in Austin, TX was originally asking $20K...now were talking around $18.5K. What do you think? I haven't yet tried a Frontier, but I had heard some of the same comments posted here from a co-worker earlier wrt to bang for buck coupled with reliability giving the nod to the Frontier. Of course that Tacoma has puppy dog eyes now, and I want to take it home. Help me out! Thanks!
    jim4040,
    I my opinion the Taco has the best looks for 2000 but, 2001 it's the worst(it looks like a catfish). I love my Nissan CC 4x4. It doesn't look bad at all either.

jessejames,
    I think that even at 18.5 no matter what options that truck has is too much for a 3 yr 4x4. For 23K you could get a fully loaded(every option)2000 Frontier CC 4x4. BUt you probably don't want the CC so a King Cab would be even less. Full warranty and only driven by you...who knows where a 4x4 has been.
  • 4xfun4xfun Member Posts: 1
    Hey Jessie, I have to say that the Taco is a great vehicle. I recently bought a 2000 Taco 4x4 Ext Cab V6 with TRD off road package for $22,500.
    Yes, BRAND NEW FOR $22,500! The price of the 97 Taco you are looking at is about average, a little high for my taste, but is average re-sell price for used Tacos.
    You are in the same boat I was in last month...I looked around for a 97-99 Taco, all around $18k PLUS...well for only $2k more you can have new. That's why I bought new.
    Understand this, Toyota Trucks ARE THE BEST. HANDS DOWN.
    My last car was a '93 Toyota 4x4 std cab 4Cyl and I got $5300 for it on trade in. The '93 had 160k miles on it with no AC! Fact of the matter is, Toyota Trucks are extremely dependable. On my '93 I replaced the brakes 1 time, battery 1 time, and a couple of head lights. Along with oil changed every 4k miles.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to let you know that I was in your position and bought new and that Toyota builds the better truck.
    Just got back from taking my Tacoma on a trip from NC through New England and back (1800 miles total), and I'm very impressed with the ride and mpg. The sticker that came with the truck rates the mpg at 22 city 26 hwy, but for the whole trip, I averaged 28.3 overall!!! In fact, on one tank (all hwy), I averaged 30.1 mpg! Not too much behind The Honda Civic I traded for this truck. I averaged around 35 on the hwy with that car.

Needless to say, I was very happy. I used to own a '93, and it was a great truck, but this one by far has the best ride. It was very comfortable to drive - no problems whatsoever. And for a truck, it was a very nice ride. Toyota makes a great truck. I haven't seen any photos of the 2001's, but I can say that the 2000's are outstanding!
    Well in my opinion the Nissan Frontier is the better of the two. Although I like both trucks and I think they are very very similar(I know that stings the Tacoma owners)You get the reliablility and similiar features for a fraction of the cost, plus I got a Crew Cab without the 'catfish' look!
    I just got back from a trip from Tampa to Miami and found the truck to perform flawless. It was great through the FL thunderstorms, I passed while all the tourists sat on the shoulder(something they do here because we do get some heavy downpours). I averaged 85mph the whole trip there and back and it rode so smooth the seat's position is actually more comfortable than my Legend's was :).
    Iwphill,
    If you do see the new Taco get you fishing rod ready and hide the cat food because they look just like a catfish! I think that 2001 is going to be a bad style year for Nissan and Toyota. Thank god for the 2000's. Do you have the 2wd?
    having owned both Taco and Frontier, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. I loved the smooth power delivery and efficiency of my 4cyl 5sp 4x2 Tacoma but didn't care much for the spartan cabin and smallish size. I like the interior amenities and the larger size of the Frontier but wish for more power and a better gas mileage. The steering on both trucks are overboosted.

I don't like either the 'catfish' look (great description, btw :-) of the new Tacoma, nor the 'boxer glove' front fascia and WAYYY-oversized fender flares of the '01 Frontier. May be I'll get used to the new styles in time, but for now i feel somewhat old-fashioned and prefer the old if not stodgy looks. I just think pickups ought to look like a work truck, not a plastic panel laden show car.
  • jessejamesjessejames Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. However, I wanted to give the used car market one last try. Instead of working with the local Toyota dealership (they po'ed me with their trade-in "offer" anyway), I found a couple selling a pristine red '99 PreRunner SR5 with 21500 miles. We have agreed on $16,900, and they should be dropping the truck off today! Of course, I'll be selling my RX7 soon. I'm still a little sad about that, but maybe I will buy a Jet Ski and/or dirt bike to make up for it ;-).

How does that price sound? Be brutally honest...I can take it, and it will make me a better buyer in the future.

Thanks again!
    Yes, I got a 2000 Tacoma 2wd reg cab (5 spd, alloys, a/c, etc.). I've only had it a little over 4 months (8000 miles and counting), but I love this truck! And judging from the catfish comparison (lol!), I'm glad I got the 2000!

Sounds like your crew cab is a fine machine. How's the room in the back? There's a guy at my work that has a Frontier crew cab - a 4x2 base model 5-speed, and he seems to love it. The only thing he's added to it is a roof rack, so far. It looks like a lot of room inside.

I like Nissans because I think they're great vehicles. I just went with the Toyota because it was the best deal I could get for what I wanted. I priced a similarly equipped Frontier (checked 3 different dealerships in my area and the internet), and they wanted more money. Maybe Toyotas are more expensive on the 4x4's, extended cabs, etc., but my reg cab 4x2 was cheaper than the Frontier at the time.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    You CANNOT legally cut and paste entire articles....

from other publications to THIS forum. It is illegal, exceeds the "Fair Use" doctrine, and we are required to delete it. You may post links to the article on other forums, you may NOT cut and paste.

I have tried to say this nicely several times, since that doesn't seem to WORK, I'll just have to get heavy on the SCRIBBLE key for a while. Sigh....

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
    Thanks, I'm really enjoying my Crew Cab. The room in the back is like a small sedan(civic). Being that Nissan offered a crew cab is one of the reasons that I went with the Nissan. I looked at the Tacoma love the styling and think it's a good truck, but no crew cab...yet :) I think that both the Nissan and the Toyotas have about the same reliability(at least in my experience). Hope you are enjoying your new truck. I'm glad you got a good deal, some of these dealers don't really want to 'deal' on their trucks.

One thing I seem to notice is this topic is the most civilized that either of these two vehicles are involved with. I mean the frontier v. ranger is crazy, the ranger v. tacoma certainly has it's moments but, after seeing this room the above common denominator could be proof of why those topics are so crazy.
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Am looking for used King Cab Nissan 4X4 in the 1992 to 1994 years.
    Is the 4 cyl enough power? Will be travelling throughout Mexico in mountainous terrain, not much off road.
    How is the gas mileage?
    And what should I pay for one with about 80,000 miles or so?
    Thanks,
    Looks like I am more in the $7,500 to $9,000 range for 1993 or 1994, so will move down to 1990 to 1992.
    How about power, mpg?
    Any options to look for that owners really like, especially for long trips?
    What major things go wrong with Nissan 4X4 from 120,000 to 180,000 miles so I can do some preventive maintenance before heading to Mexico?
    thanks,
    The reason is because Dodge, Ford, and Chevy owners aren't in the discussion......;)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    denominator was the ranger fans...LOL
    I think you both are right!!!!!! hehehehe
    Boy I really ask some dumb questions. No wonder nobody answers.
    So here is another one.
    Which year(s) were the best for Toyota pickups?
    1990 through 1996.
    Thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I used to try to answer more questions, but since almost nobody thanked me, I quit.

Best Toyota pickups--from reading this board, I think the '89-'94 generation (before the Tacoma) wins the most points. But I have no personal experience; I own a Frontier.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    If going with a used toyo truck, go with a late 80's model if you can find one in decent shape. Those things still run like a swiss watch, and are also easier to modify if/when you decide to do any mods. That's what I'd do anyway. Or....just buy a Frontier :-)
    Thanks for input: it all helps to make decision.
    Started search: '90, '92, '85, seen so far.
    '92 v6 only one so far that drives like a dream, though could be too small a sample.
    Seems like I can get a 92 or 93 in good shape for mid 8k.
    ??? How is AT on v6 of 89-94 models, still enough power??? Anybody?
    Thanks again.
    I had a 91 Toyota pickup 4x4. Put 200,000 miles on it and it still ran like most other trucks with 50k.

I now have a Tacoma, and I must say there I some things I like about the Tacoma better, and some things I like about the 85-95 pickups better.

The Tacoma's have more goodies, and don't feel as sparse. The factory 4 wheeeling options are better, better suspensions, lockers, ect.

However, so far, the 85-95 Toyota's feel a little more solid to me, in terms of taking abuse and overall seals, quietness, and toughness.

The 85-95 Toyota pickups are PURE machines with no frills fine tuned and honed from the finest auto parts ever crafted. They are bulletproof, and no truck ever made could ever even HOPE of living up to the durability and reliabilty of those trucks.
  • kramskydkramskyd Member Posts: 1
    I'm from the LA/SD cali. I own a 99 frontier xe king cab 2.4 auto. I want a 2000 desert runner, 5 spd. with out lossing that much $$$. If any one has an idea please e-mail me at kramskyd@aol.com
    I would appreciate it very much.
  • thehitcherthehitcher Member Posts: 56
    I have a 99 Tacoma and it runs great. The engine seems to get better with more mileage on the odometer. I had the F150 before the Taco, but it was definitely not a reliable truck. I did consider the Frontier, but the price at the time was about the same as the Tacoma.
  • ccpackinccpackin Member Posts: 2
    Gringo01,
    I have a Nissan 1993 King Cab for sale. Automatic O/D. It is not 4x4, but it has only 67300 mls. It is extra clean and in excellent condition. Chrome wheels, wider Michelin tires, chrome bumpers, A/C, AM/FM+Cass, bed liner. Will take fair price between high/low Blue book.
    I live in a city and don't use it for loading, etc, which makes no sence for me to keep it. So, I decided to sell it and get a midsize car. Maybe Altima, or so.
    Since, you're mentioning Mexico, I live in Southern California. So, no rain (meaning rust) here.
  • ccpackinccpackin Member Posts: 2
    Gringo 01,

just posted a message for you, #94
  • y2ktrdy2ktrd Member Posts: 81
    Is this not the ugliest thing you have ever seen?
    Go nissan.......keep building ugly,chinsy trucks that will NEVER compare to a tacoma!
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I have to agree that the 01 Frontier is ugly.I did not care for the loss of ride height either.
    I do disagree that the Frontier will never compare to a Tacoma.Any truck will compare with any other truck.The features each individual finds important will determine which truck is best suited for that person.
    y2ktrd,
    Have you seen the new 2001 tacoma? Now that's an ugly vehicle...looks like a catfish! Don't worry though, Tacoma will win two awards for 2001...THE UGLIEST TRUCK and THE TRUCK WITH THE SMALLEST INTERIOR(they always win this catagory.hahaha)
  • y2ktrdy2ktrd Member Posts: 81
    Not only have i seen one but i will shortly be getting one!...at least thay don't look like the front end was made from a erector set!Take a good look underneath the nissan and see how much wimpyer it is built than the yota..the front end
    is sooooo cheezy!they are the same old crappy truck with a new body.Oh and the 170 horse engine,
    what a powerhouse...lol
  • goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    Here we go again.

You of course are entitled to your opinion.Enjoy your new Toyota when you get it and we will enjoy our Frontiers.
  • soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    Sounds like vince of old in taco clothes. Gooba, what do you mean about the loss of ride in the 2001 frontier? the overall height is still 65.9". Head room is also the same. The only difference that i know of on the CC is tire size. the 2000 has 255/65R16 and my 2001 SE came with 265/70R16 tires.
    y2ktrd,
    It's really sad that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to style or your knowledge of the Nissan. It's not the same truck as the Hardbody, it's obvious you don't have a clue. I challenge you to tell me how much "better" the toyo is..give me metal thickness or diameter. Anything more than just shallow comments like look underneath the front end, c'mon tell me you can support your weak comments better than that...because that won't fly here sport! Nice plastic bumper by the way...real heavy duty. Oh when you get your new truck stay away from the bush hooks!
This discussion has been closed.