Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.
    The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.>>
    Make sure the fresh-recirc lever (bottom lever) is in the fresh (far right) position.
  • hirobynhirobyn Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

This is my first post here. On 12/21/01 I bought my first new car. :-) A beautiful 2001 Crystal Blue (base) Miata. This weekend I had a lot of fun driving around with the top down. I was very excited since this was the first weekend with warm enough weather to do so. (I live in SW Florida.) I did have a good laugh when my boyfriend squeezed into the passengers seat. He's 6'4" and looks straight into the sunvisor/window frame of the car.

That aside, I'm looking for some help on installing tweeters in the doors. The dealer said the car is pre-wired for the tweeters. It's just a matter of me buying a pair and installing them, he said. I thought it would be an easy modification. Just pop off the grill and wire the new tweeters. However, I have tried to take the grill off and have not been able to do so. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using enough force or if the grills just aren't meant to be popped out. It looks like I may be able to take the molding off the door that incorporates the speaker grill, yet when I tried this I was also unsuccessful. Again, I may not be using enough force. It is a new car and I am afraid of breaking something.

So, if anyone out there has installed after market tweeters can you please share your expertise.
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Congrats! Although I don't know anything about putting tweeters in an M2 Miata, I'm sure that someone here ... http://www.miata.net does!

Check out the forums, they cover everything and I'll bet that this exact topic has been discussed in the audio forum before. Here is a direct link to the Audio forum.... http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=18

• freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Thanks, it seems to have helped. I didn't even realize it had been switched.
    Thanks for the advice. I checked the web sites you gave and it appears that my salesman was wrong. It's not simple. You can't just pop off the grill and install the speakers. You have to remove the door panel! Figures!!

Tomorrow I am bringing the car in for an after market cruise control installation. I'll ask the guy again how easy it is to install the speakers.
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Well, sorry I was the bearer of bad news... Glad you found out though...
  • mdean47mdean47 Member Posts: 5
    Asking $8900, original owner, 36K, bare options--AT, PS, PB. Digital pics look to be in excellent condition.

I would like to test drive and schedule for diagnostics, but would like to have a reasonable/fair price to negotiate with before plunking $$ for tests.

This car is alternative to a '99 GS Sable, 47K, 24 valve Duratec engine, power steering/doors/windows, rear defroster, ABS brakes, tilt/cruise control for $7700. This car passed AAMCO transmission diagnostics easily, and is scheduled for AAA diagnostics.

I was all set to pay $7700 provided it passed, but the owner rescheduled for next week.

Now, I had time to shop for a Miata.

I'd driven a Sable stationwagon for 14 years; kids are grown and out of the car. Don't need all that room anymore.

If I can get the Miata close to the Sable (up to $8K), I'll opt for the sports car with one original owner. The Sable was a rental sold at auction, then bought by the owner from the dealer.

Can really use some help re what's the better car/deal. My '88 Sable wagon is on it's last legs--may not last the month.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Buying that Sable Wagon that used to be a rental probably isn't the best move you could make. The Miata is definitely a better choice, even if it is equipped with a slushbox.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    $8900 seems high to me. Have you checked autotrader.com and the used car pricing here?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I abuse rentals, and I bet lots of other peope do too.

But never mind that, Sable or Miata? Not a very tough choice! :-)

-juice
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    should be in pretty good condition, however the auto KILLS its market value. in my estimation, based on demand for the auto, low miles, and the middle of winter, the selling price should be in the low to mid $7K's. just my seat of the pants guess, but i really doubt that anyone is lining up to buy the vehicle.

no one says that you have to pay asking price. and PLEASE do not go by what edmunds or kbb.com say about the market value of this car. they ADD value for the AT instead of deducting heavily for it.

ace
    Low mileage like that adds a lot of value. That might offset the automatic tranny. A '96 should have 60-75k miles or so.

-juice
    Thanks for the tips, fellas. All good things to know for a Miata fan newbie.

I'm almost afraid to say, but I never learned to drive cars with manual; does that mean the Miata is not for me?

Thirty years ago, I started out to drive a stick, but I had to move here from overseas. Just never picked up the skill.
    Not necessarily. The handling is still the same.

It's just the world's best shifter. Throws are short and smooth. The base of the shift lever actually rests in a turret full of gear oil. That's why you'll read magazines describing very good shifters as "Miata-like".

-juice
    Don't be afraid to learn, I learnt how when I bought my first 5 sp. It's amazing how quickly you pick it up when you have no choice, and when you're driving all the time. The Miata will be a great choice no matter what, but I guarantee that short of health reasons you would never look back once you switched to manual!
  • bhb1bhb1 Member Posts: 6
    will somebody 6'2" and 240lbs fit in a 1999 +
    miata
    Ooooh, it's gonna be a tight fit.

I'm 5'11' and 220lbs, and I feel cramped. I put spacers under the front of the seat track, to raise the front of the seat for thigh support. That bends my knees, and helps with legroom a little.

Some go further and remove some of the seat padding. I don't know a seamstress, so I haven't been that bold. But I bet you could buy another inch, tops.

Try it, and I'm rooting for you, but my guess would be no, not comfortably. :-(

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    ...everybody has different proportions (leg length). Some taller people over 6 ft can fit but in this case, I bet he couldn't.
    I've had a couple of taller people try out the car. the tallest, about 6' had his head brushing top of the roof, and his found himself sitting a bit to close when the seat was all the way back. The biggest problem wider people will have is having their left arm crunched up against the door, with very little room, if any, for movement. Unless you plan to do most of your driving with the top down I would give it a lot of consideration and careful testing before buying such a tiny car.
    This car has really made me appretiate being only 5'6, I have lots of room, including some behind the seat to store my CD cases.
    I'm a short guy (5 7") and it's such a disadvantage in life. It's hard to buy clothes off the shelf and get stuff that fits. For once, I'm so glad I'm short cause I fit in the Miata like it was made for me. What goes around, comes around I guess!

There are a lot of people that will never get to appreciate the joys of Miata until Mazda makes the car more roomy and adds tilt steering (unfortunately)
    Are you serious? Room behind the seats? Can you spare some of that for me?

I swear if the seat could move back another 2 inches, it would be perfect.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    5'10" and 180 I like the way the Miata fits. Once you begin to throw the car around you appreciate the fact that there is nowhere to go inside it and your steering wheel stays firmly planted at your fingertips.

However, I think if you are big it makes a good second car.
  • nativetex44nativetex44 Member Posts: 15
    Is anyone obsessed with their Miata? I love to drive this car. Before I purchased this car, I dreaded driving. My husband thinks I have lost my mind. While I was on a Miata site last night, he made a comment, "Why do you like that car so much?" I don't understand how he could not know the answer to that question since he has driven it a couple of times. This question comes from someone that drives a Mazda 626.

I am 5'5" and this car fits me perfectly. I wouldn't recommend it to my tall friends however.

By the way, I can get $200.00 worth of groceries in my Miata. That is, of course, with no one in the passenger seat.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Just got some info from Mazda dealer meeting...

Sorry if ya'll already know..

Two special editions for 2002....a black and special tan leather model in Feb and a Yellow pearl with black leather in march. Both 6 speeds.

Also Mazda will produce a Mazda speed Miata (mazda speed is like ford SVT) with a turbo sometime this year

zoom~zoom
    rich
    Go ahead and obsess! I've put nearly twice as much mileage on My miata in the given time then on my last car, yet I am the same distance from work and haven't gone on any road trips.
    I also drive the car like I hate it, which really wrings out the fun of the car.
    Yes, the Miata is still the only car that makes me want to drive hours on end searching for nice roads without a destination in mind.

There are some people who will never understand though. The Miata is not for everyone (some people will always see a car as just "transportation even if it's a Miata)
    native: there are Point A to Point B people, and then there's us.

Black and tan? Oh, you mean it's not a beer? ;-)

Those are gorgeous. I almost bought a '93 SE.

The turbo sounds interesting, since it would likely be covered by warranty.

-juice
  • knhillknhill Member Posts: 33
    6', 180 lbs, no problems. In fact, I fit in the Miata much better than in my wife's Mustang, which requires me to recline the seat back to an uncomfortable angle to keep off the ceiling. The Miata may have less volume than the Mustang, but it is the difference between "snug" and "cramped."
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    I'm 5'11" and 175 so I agree with knhill, snug but not cramped. I've got a few friends who are taller that still fit. I think it was said before though, every person is shaped a little differently. The only way to truly know if the car will fit you is to try it out.
    ... of a pristine, '96 white Miata w/ scant 36K miles. It's parked front and center on the 1st level of my office parking garage.

I used to park my previous (old and ugly) vehicle in the deepest recess of the garage. Not so with this baby!

Everything comes to those who wait--and I've waited a lot of decades. Never really thought I'd ever get one of these.

Just goes to say, you can do almost everything you set your mind to.

Anyway, I'm happy to join the ranks--and can't wait to get one of those things that curve up and down behind the driver's seat. Um ... roll bars! They are so much sexier that those that go straight across. Where does one go for info on these?

By the way, I never would have gotten this gem of a car without the generous aid and help of people here and at Miata.net.

Much thanks, everyone!
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    mdean47 - I love the look of those bars, too but I hope you realize that they are purely cosmetic and offer no real rollover protection. I would think you could find them on Miata.net. The only real roll bars that I know of are "Hard Dogs" which are the ones that go straight across.
    Get a Hard Dog with a diagonal brace if you're going to autocross. I've seen photos of cars rolled over where the windshield and A-pillar collapse but the roll bar is intact (and hopefully the driver).

If it's purely for cosmetics, there are bolt-on ones that fit with the soft top and are easy to install.

Go to miata.net and check the vendors page. At least a few of them offer them.

-juice
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    6 ft 282. Very good comfort.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I just went for a test drive in a left-over 2001 Black LS with a "gold package". They had a silver one with a 6-spd but I drove the black one with the 5-spd. I was inpressed with the room, I'm 6'2", 190 lbs and I fit in fine. I was impressed most with the clutch, very smooth. The shifter was a bit stiffer than I thought but the car had been sitting on the lot for 3 months and has only 39 miles so I am probably about the only one that has driven it. It also started up a bit slow (no surprise really). I liked the tan leather, hated the gold package crap, and was a bit shocked by the sticker (over $25,000 MSRP). Edmunds says that a 2001 should go for only about $15,000, so I may hold out for a used one but I'm not in any hurry. I think a crystal blue used one is worth waiting for.
    $15k sounds low, but they a base model with no options can be had for under $20k.

A quick search on FitzMall.com reveals 11 Miatas in stock from $21,114 to $24,059 including freight. Interestingly, they have both 2001s and 2002s, but the cheapest and the most expensive ones are both 2002s.

I bet that was a dealer package you saw.

-juice
    Thel, were you looking at the NEW or USED pricing on Edmunds? I bought a '01 Crystal Blue, one month ago and was able to get it for $500 below invoice. That with the 0% financing they were offering at the time was enough to make me jump at the deal. You should be able to get a bit more then $500 off of invoice by now. But $15K for a NEW '01 Miata, I doubt it.
    That price seems low. Typically, a used LS Miata would go for around $17K+. Don't be that surprised about the LS you drove. If it had a lot of options, you would indeed push $25K. Keep in mind you can do a lot better than that when you haggle it. (Say $22K)
    The TMV for a stripped MR2 is $24,720, so a fully loaded Miata for that price still seems like a good value.

And while the MR2 is mid-engined, it has 4 struts and a transverse engine layout.

-juice
    Obviously the $15,000 figure is referring to a used car with the expected mileage and wear. The actual value is $15,600 for the stripped base model and $17,700 for the LS. My point is that these cars seem to have a large depreciation compared to what I'm used to (I own a 2001 CRV EX and a 2002 Accord EX).

As for a $25,000 Miata being a good value, when I compare it to an Acura RSX, I'm not so sure. I know the Acura isn't a roadster so the comparison isn't completely fair, but it is the alternative I'm looking at.
    The thing is people aren't paying anywhere near list price for a new one. Some ad cars fall into the $18k range, and that hurts resale of 1- and 2-year old models.

On one hand, the RSX is based on a FWD economy car (Civic), lost its front wishbones, has an unmanaged front axle (open differential), and a transverse engine layout. The Miata has a dedicated platform, RWD, 4 wheel multilink suspension, a longitudinal engine layout, and an optional torsen limited slip differential.

On the other hand, Acura offers a longer warranty, and crams lots of technology into the powerplant. It also has more room, even if it is a 2+2.

You may want to check out a WRX if you want to go the practical route (4 doors, AWD, more room, etc).

-juice
    Miata and RSX are definetly different means to different ends. Many people miss the point of the Miata. Value in the Miata means something different then Value in the RSX, which means something different then Value in the Toyota Solara. etc..

Just thought I'd share a quick story.
    Yesterday I was running through an intersection (no, the light was not red) and a left turner kept going, not looking anywhere apparently. There was no time to brake so instead I tried to veer around her. I almost made it but she hit my rear wheel. my car spun around 180° and I slid backward into the door of a Fiero turning right. Despite her desperate plea of innocence the cop gave her a ticket for an improper left turn.
    The car handled the damage very well. Despite being hit in the wheel the axle seems fine. The body damage is mostly relatively minor dents and lots of scrapes, with the rear light broken where it hit the fiero. The problem is all of the pieces needing to be fixed or replaced. The drivers door, rear fender, rear bumper, rear passenger light, trunk, and rim and tire were all damaged, but the car is driving fine until I can take it in this weekend. What a bummer, but I am very pleased with how this little car took it. Unfortunately my baby is scarred for a couple of days now!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Glad to hear that you are ok and the little car will live.
    Yeah, buddy, the important thing is that you walked away. Ask for an alignment, too, when you get the damage repaired (hopefully paid for by her insurance).

-juice
    May your baby get well soon and revel in the twisties once again.
    You can't compare the Miata to other cars for value!!!! The Miata is a dedicated roadster. You should only compare its value to other roadsters. It's got true sports cars features not offered in other sporty coupes. (RWD, 50/50 weight distrution, double wishbone independent suspension, light curb weight less than 2400 lbs, high feedback controls) Since you are a Honda fan, I would say the Miata LS at around $22K out the door is a better value than the Honda S2000 at almost 50% more cost. And still better value than the Toyota MR2-Spyder. The VW Cabrio is not sporty and the Mustang Convertible is a heavy awkward handling car. See? The Miata *is* good value. The RSX does not give you that roadster driving experience, it's just another FWD sporty coupe based on the mass produced cost-effective Civic chassis. If you can live with another conventional fixed roof FWD car, then buy that RSX, but it's no Miata.

I own a Subaru WRX and a Miata which both have exactly the same new MSRP (both $35K Canadian). The WRX is an amazing car, it does everything. Carries four people, swallows up a bunch of luggage, has standard AWD to handle any road condition, and still does a mid 14 second quarter mile, has a 6 CD changer, and reaches 60mph in around 5.7 seconds and handles as well as any sports sedan out there. It is winning accolades/awards all over the place. It is far better value than any RSX IMHO. Looking at it this way, the Miata should be embarrased for costing as much. But you know what? The Miata is still a more fun car. Nothing beats the feeling of a low slung roadster. Once the top is down, driving the car in the twisties with the wind in your hair going nowhere in particular is one of the basic pleasures of life.

BTW: The Miata got the title of best sports car under $40K in Automobile magazine
    I test drove a black one that didn't even have ABS and the invoice price is well over $22,000. Taking into account that it had been rotting on the lot for over 3 months with no one taking it for a test drive, I still don't see the dealer selling it for $700+ under invoice.

For a 2002, if you throw in ABS and a 6-disc changer, the invoice price climbs to over $23,600. An RSX-S can be had for this kind of money. Granted, it isn't a roadster but it is 200HP with a good warranty and a backseat (kind of inportant with a 1 yr old and all).

Having a WRX and a Miata in the driveway does sound like a good set up. You've got the AWD for the bad weather and carrying stuff, and the Miata for fun. How is the highway ride in that WRX by the way?
    There are regional incentives and stuff like that.

Take a close look at the RSX's back shelf (not really a seat). You will run, not walk, to a Subaru dealer to buy a WRX.

I have both a Forester and a Miata, and they are the perfect match. Sunny day? Quick errand? Miata, easy. Snow or rain? Hauling kids or running to Home Depot? Forester. I guess the WRX wagon would be a good compromise if you go the one-car-only route.

-juice
    As juice says, getting under invoice if you take into account that the dealer may get holdbacks and cashback incentives also (this will vary with regionsal and seasonal incentives and which dealer you go to) I believe some regions have an extra $500 incentive right now.

Before you do any more RSX vs Miata comparisons, decide on the kind of car you want first. If you want a roadster, the FWD coupe RSX is a poor substitute and vice versa. Even with exception sporty cars like the WRX, it will never substitute for a Miata. If they brought the 220HP RSX Type R over here and sold it for $20K, I still would rather buy a Miata. You should be comparing it to the Toyota Spyder which is the Miata's only real competition (a really great choice BTW if you don't mind near zero storage space)

One more point, IMO getting a loaded Miata is kind of defeating the purpose. You don't need a CD changer because frankly, you can barely hear the stereo (I rather listen to the sweet sounding engine most of the time anyway). I have all the goodies in my 10th Anniversary model, but frankly I would have been just as happy with a base model. The more stuff you add, the more weight, which goes against the design mission of a Miata. Sports car = low weight = crisp handling. The base Miata with the sports package is the best value. All the other stuff is just icing. A sub $20K base model Miata drives every bit as nice as the loaded LS models.

The WRX rides better than the RSX in my opinion. It's more than quiet enough at highway cruising speed also. It is just a superior car to the RSX-S in every way I consider important (I agree the RSX-S looks "cleaner" and has a nicer interior, but I don't care about that). It took me about 2 minutes into the RSX test drive to decide the WRX was a superior value. And I still chose the WRX considering it costs $4000 Cdn more than the RSX-S in Canada.

So IMO, you should be looking at the WRX if you want a practical sporty car, OR a true roadster Miata. The RSX just seems like a compromise in between; besting neither in any significant way (unless you're stuck on buying the nameplate and the "fine looking" interior).
    ...it's up to you to walk through it.

Either you understand the value of the Miata or not.

If you're not sure, one of the best things to do is to buy a nice prime 94-97 model. You can sell it with not much penalty if you turn out not to be a roadster type of person.

One thing I should also say: I bought my Miata three years ago. All I can say now: why the heck did I wait so long! Also, owning a roadster is something every car fan should do in their life. Driving takes a completely different meaning in a roadster. It ceases to be just a mode of transportation. How's that for a sermon? The religion of the Miata runs deep! If you have a Miata, you might end up even joining a local Miata club like I did. Now I have a blast doing autocrossing (it's very rewarding because the Miata handles just like a go-kart with tail out RWD behavior) and weekend organized tours carving the backroads.
    Check this out. Doesn't it look like I'm having fun?????

My favorite picture (65kb picture)