Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    torque is what pulls, not horsepower.

17% more will be significant.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The v-6 with automatic also weighs about 300 lbs more than the 4-cyl w/ manual, so it has more to carry. This drops it's actual power and torque advantages even further.

FWIW the V-6 is not an option. If the Ranger is inadequate, then the Toyota 4-cyl will work (w/ 3,500lb tow rating) - just costs a little more (still less than V-6 Ranger). The extra reliability of the Toyota is offset, by the scarcity of dealers in these parts, otherwise it might have been the first choice.
  • goldrangergoldranger Member Posts: 54
    The 2.3 will be working @ 70 loaded or not. I drove my 90 2.3 5-spd @ 70mph up and down I-75 thru South Georgia (flat), and rarely got more than 19-20 at that speed. Around town got 24 MPG. My 01extended cab 4.0 5-sp auto gets 21-22 MPG @ 70 MPH.
    The '90 Range only has 100 hp - no comparison to the new 143 hp 2.3 (torque is 133 to the new 154). The V-6 from 1990 only had 140 hp and 170 lb ft of torque.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You said "FWIW the V-6 is not an option."

You've got this all figgered out. Why are you asking us about it?
    dudleyr,

you are correct, just thought I'd memtion it. Good luck with
    your decision. Keep us posted.
    The V-6 costs more, and uses much more fuel (we are using a couple of v-6 Blazers now for the job, and they get about 12 mpg), so I won't be able to convince my boss to get a new V-6 over a much cheaper used one that has similar performance. The I4 Ranger is cheap enough that it is not much more than a used vehicle, and it gets better mileage to offset a slightly higher purchase price.

Just trying to get a feel for the adequacy of the I4. I know the Toyota I4 is fine, as I have driven one with a ton of gravel in the bed, and it was no problem (Toyota used to make a 1 ton version with the same 2.4 engine used today, but with slightly less power, it had a payload capacity of 2,700 lbs - can't remember the tow capacity).

I was hoping to take advantage of the huge rebates on the Ranger, and save some money over the Toyota.

And I don't have it figgered out. I'm not comparing versions of the Ranger, I am really comparing different 4 cyl base pickups. Yes I have it figured out that it will be a new 4 cyl, or another used vehicle with a V-6, just not which 4-cyl.

Thanks for all the input so far.
  • ronmcqronmcq Member Posts: 16
    For what it's worth, I did my first fill up today with mixed driving for 294 miles on the the 2.3 liter 5 speed Mazda (Ranger clone) extra cab and got 25.49mpg. I couldn't be happier and hope as the engine breaks in I do even better. By the way, I pulled some local mountain grades yesterday and only pulled it out of overdrive (5th)once (my V10 F250 auto w/4.30 gears drops out several times on the same roads).
  • seyorniseyorni Member Posts: 9
    Evernerf, I don't believe you can get the long bed with the 4-cyl engine. I think it's only sold with the 3.0 or larger engine. As for your comment about buying a long bed -- why would anyone buy anything else? A pickup is a box on wheels, and you can always do more with a large box than a small. I can't understand the current popularity of short beds and extend cabs -- some only 4 ft long! Hell, if you want passenger room and don't need much hauling capacity buy a sedan and remove the trunk lid! A sedan is more comfortable, handles better and gets better mileage than any pickup.
    Bolivar. I couldn't agree more with your comment about torque vs hp. Why anyone but a racer who expects to be operating the vehicle at or near redline would be interested in a vehicle's hp baffles me. 99% of drivers never get anywhere neat their engine's hp rating. Hp is high RPM power, what you feel at ordinary RPMs when you step on the gas is TORQUE, not HP! Ignore hp numbers -- pay attention to torque peaks if you want to know what an engine will feel like when you drop the hammer or want to haul something!
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Are just that peak. They are not mean or net HP figures. The v6 torque curve will be much more flat compared to a 4 valved 4 cylinder motor. The 3.0l also has 25% more torque than the 4 cylinder.

Isn't the old analogy something like: Torque is how much the motor can move, and horsepower is how fast it can do it?
  • evernerfevernerf Member Posts: 5
    Well I finally did buy a ranger. Its a 98 reg. cab, longbed, 2.5, 5 speed, xlt. It has 55k on it and I plan on doing some hauling this weekend that I have been putting off for awhile since I only had an altima to use. I'm looking forward to being more "independent" in that way !

As far as the longbed vs. shortbed is concerned. When I was growing up a shortbed truck was sporty and a long bed was a "work truck". If you had a late 70's chevy shortbed it was awesome. If you had a longbed it was grandpas farm truck.

I also drove a 2001 shortbed ranger and a 99 S10 with a V6. I really loved the 2001 ranger as it was very sharp and had tilt, cruise, cd and a tach but the price was right on the 98. The ride on the 01 was noticably bouncier. I didnt like the chevy at all. The interior looked very cheap and the top rim of the steering wheel blocked the top part of the speedometer for me.

I have a question. Can you still get add on cruise for vehicles? Any idea how much the cost might be with installation? Do they work as well as a factory unit? How about a factory one from a ford dealer?

Thanks in advance.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings all:

I purchased a used 1999 Ranger XLT supercab w/3.0 6 (4x2)last Sept. and it has been a great truck. I stopped by the local Ford dealer and they had several 2002 XLT supercab's (4x4) with everything so I test drove a silver one and got it. Very nice truck - smoother, quieter and more powerful (4.0 ltr 6) than the '99 but the handling is not as precise. It may be the tires - 245/75/16 vice 225/70/15. The mileage was 21,715 and I paid 17,000 - truck has all options including Mach3 audio (what is that?).

Anyway, I hope I didn't get myself into trouble by getting a 4x4 since I've read on this forum that they have more problems than the 4x2. BTW, if the 2WD switch on the dash is engaged, will this help with getting better mileage. My '99 got 21-22 w/90% highway driving and I hope this '02 will get close to 20mpg.

Thanks - this is a great forum and I have learned alot about Rangers in general and think I made a great choice in a truck.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I'm looking at '96 XLT V6 with 40k miles or a '98 XLT V6 with 82k miles. Both are asking the same price ($7,200)and appear to be clean. Is there an obivious choice here?

From Edmunds, the only significant change I can see is a different trany implemented in '97. Does that mean the trany prior to '97 was prone to problems?

Appreciate any advice.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Many things can affect the preciseness of steering. You noted the larger tires: That's one thing. The brand of tire also has an affect. Plus, in general, a 4x4 can easily feel less precise than a 4x2. Lots more stuff involved in moving the front wheels.

The reason you may have more problems with a 4x4 than a 4x2 is just that there are many additional components in the drivetrain of a 4x4 (transfer case; front differential; front driveshaft). Also, many 4x4 owners subject their trucks to more punishment than a 4x2 owner would: off-road adventures, etc.

Yes, keep your switch in the 4x2 position at all times, UNLESS the situation requires 4x4. Better mileage and less strain on the driveline. If you forget, you will be reminded the first time you back up and turn the steering wheel at the same time. If in 4x4, the driveline will "bind up", and it will feel like the brakes are on. Plus, you may hear strange noises.

Mach 3 is Ford's top-of-the-line stereo components.

I have a 2002 XLT 4x4 that I've owned for over a year. It now has 18,000+ miles on it and I have not had a single problem with it so far (knock on wood).
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168

Greetings:

Thanks for your detailed comments regarding my concerns about the 4X4 vice the 4X2. I selected the Ranger 4X4 since I had such a good experience with the 4X2 and expect good service from the 2K2 model. The MACH audio system is quite nice - very good clarity and bass reponse - this system rocks! There is a slight vibration on the outside in the left rear mini door due to the strong bass but I will fix this pronto.

I've driven about 80 miles since I acquired the truck on Tuesday and am very pleased. The ride is a bit 'jiggly' but that may be due to the 4-wheel drivetrain even though I keep it in 2WD. This baby has lots more power than the 3.0 V-6 - passing is effortless and quick. I checked my mileage and I'm getting 19.6mpg (95%) highway. If I can keep it at an average of 18mpg overall, I'll be satisfied.

I have attached a pic of my new 'rig' - I think the silver color makes the truck look a bit 'upscale' in overall appearance.

Happy motoring to all -

M. J. McCloskey
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Not exactly the most stylish or elaborate thing around, but it provides the dry AND lockable storage Ive needed for awhile now. It's a used leer with a ladder rack. Couple questions... Anybody with the cheaper unpainted aluminum caps, how do you normally clean them? Can I run the truck through a car wash with the thing on there?

Also... anybody got a 93-97 longbed who needs a ladder rack for their cap? The fricking thing makes it look even more like a contractor's truck, and the dealer wouldn't remove it.

Thanks
    ed
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Hi Everyone...this is probably a really stupid question...but...

I have a 2002 Ranger XLT FX4....just bought it about 2 months ago right off the dealer lot. It had been sitting on the lot since last May, so I got a sweet deal on it. Love the truck! Anyway....it appears to have a cargo bed light on each side of the high-mounted brake light.

I have checked the vehicle book in the glove box. It refers me to page 81 of the book for info on the cargo light. There is nothing on that page about the cargo light. I have looked all over the interior looking for a switch...nothing.

Is there a cargo light there? Is there some trick to turning it on? HELP!

Thanks!

jkidd
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    On my 2001 Ranger, to activate the cargo light you "roll" the dashboard light dimmer switch to the top. This will keep the interior lights on as well. I wish there was a separate switch.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I had the same question with my 2001. The owners manual didn't say how to turn the thing on! Dmould is right - it is wired with the interior lights and there is no separate switch.
  • dchinndchinn Member Posts: 64
    Just bought a 2003 Ranger XL 5 spd 2.3L (no frills base model) for $9.6K OTD rebates and all. Yes, I test drove it and realized that it was low on power to accelerate but I'm no speed demon. The price to too good to pass up compared to a Chevy S10, Mazda B2300 or Tacoma w/ the same std features. 1st 500 miles mpg was about 26 + both city/hwy.

Only peeve is that the Ranger sits up higher than the other P/Us (higher center of gravity) which causes the truck to want to tip when rounding a curve. Besides adding suspension parts or changing to 16 inch rims and lower/wider profile tires which cost some $$$, is there any other practical or cheaper fixes to alleviate this tendency.
    There really isn't a whole lot that can be done, without affecting your vehicle in other areas. If you had a 4x4 or Edge model, it would be as simple as removing the rear blocks and un-cranking some torsion bars. You may still have some blocks on the rear axle that could be removed, but I am not sure what can be done to your front besides weaker or smaller springs. To truly lower your vehicle is beyond me as I've only considered to raise my Edge. Check out some Ranger sites that have dedicated forums as they will offer much more information than here. I can't give you a link because Edmunds will delete it.

Also, just to alleviate body roll, you could get some stiffer stocks.
    dchinn,
    If you just got a 03 2.3L check on blueovalnews.com or previous posts on this thread for the info and dates (3days)in feb or march when some bad 2.3 engines were produced and sent to dealers. the web site gives instructions on who to call with your vin # to see if you get a new engine.
    good luck
    Hey, I've got a Arizona Pebble Beige one too. States on the driver door jamb that vehicle was manufactured on May 2003. Hopefully my 2.3 was OK. But thanks for the heads up. Is yours also a base XL? How does it ride when cornering?
  • kcowboy12kcowboy12 Member Posts: 6
    have had a 2001 xlt ext cab 4x4 with all bells and whistles for almost two years now. have noticed that from time to time after starting up a loud "thunk" can be heard while still in park. not sure if this could be a motor mount or the drive train problem that has been metioned earlier. i have taken it into the dealer a few times concerning this problem but they have not been able to get the sound to come out and say they are not sure what it could be. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Probably the A/C compressor cycling. My 2003 Manual does it while in neutral and sitting at a stoplight. I only notice it then because the rest of the time the engine/exhaust is making just enough noise to cover it up.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    yes I notice on my 2003 also how loud the extahust is, I guess it is a performance exhaust - LOL
  • lfikelfike Member Posts: 38
    Right now Ford is offering 3000 back on Rangers, put 1000 down and they also match it...been in the military..another 750...my question....some dealers say it for those that are on active duty while others are saying it's for all military people active and honorable discharge.....can anyone give me a straight answer.
    ps...I notice jeep, Chrysler etc are doing it for all military people, active and honorable discharge.
    FTI: the same Ranger that can be had for about 11K in the Nort East (that is with incentives) can be bought in the south for about 8.5 - 9.5 K
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    My 2002 XLT 4x4 does the same thing. I have no clue as to the source, and it happens so infrequently, that I haven't bothered taking it in to the dealer. I assume you also have an automatic transmission. Mine gets really loud at times.
    I read that it is for those military folks on active duty and active reserve/national guard. Those off active duty for awhile >30days that do not have a military ID card would not qualify. Not all dealers know the difference between AC/RC but they would need a valid military ID card to process your rebate.
  • kcowboy12kcowboy12 Member Posts: 6
    yeah your right auto tranny. mine also is very loud at times and not so loud at other times. i know what midnight stang it talking about with the AC and this is a different sound, but thanks stang.

if you hear anything new about this let me know and ill keep you posted the same.
    Hey All, I'm the dummy who couldn't figure out how to turn on his cargo light. Another question for you....I've noticed ever since I bought my truck that when I start it, it seems like it takes a longer than normal time for the engine to turn over. Almost like its not going to start. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. If I don't step on the gas first or if I step on the gas as I'm starting, neither seems to make it "start" easier. Is this my imagination or an ominous sign of trouble?

Thanks!
  • limanliman Member Posts: 32
    My 2003 3.0 XLT starts up immediately. And as it is fuel injected, I never touch the gas pedal at all while starting. Sounds to me like you need an adjustment of some sort.
    kcowboy12,
    I have a 01 4.0 that makes the same noise and notice it when I test drove other vehicles. I vote for the A/C compressor. Quick verification.... does it do it with the A/C in the OFF or VENT position? Remember the A/C compressor is running in all positions except for OFF, VENT, HEAT on the Floor.
    My 2003 3.0l starts right up too. But jkidd2, you need to post your engine size too. I remember my old 1993 2.3l took about 2-5 seconds to start, but that was with over 140,000 miles on it. Probably just needs to build up the fuel pressure to feed the large bore cylinders.
    It has the 4.0 V6...it always turns over, it just seems like it struggles to do so...I have to hold the ignition in the "start" position for more than a few seconds, while it starts...kinda makes that noise that engines make when they are flooded....it always starts, like I said...I just find it odd...

Thanks!

Jkidd
    Maybe wait a few seconds with the key in the on position before cranking, could be a bad/slow fuel pump ???? just aguess
  • shov6shov6 Member Posts: 177
    Howdy, folks.

I'm considering getting a pickup for the first time in my life, and I have a few questions that I would like some semi-definitive answers to.

The models I am considering are the Edge, FX4, and FX4 Level II, and 4wd only (part of the reason for getting a truck in the first place). I haven't actually driven any Rangers yet, and before I do, I would like a little help winnowing down the choices. Keep in mind that I don't presently have any off-roading adventures in mind, just basic day-to-day driving, so I am interested mostly in how this drastic shift away from cars would affect me and whether or not I should abandon this idea entirely.

The questions are as follows...

1- Which of the above would be most "carlike"? I am referring mostly to handling here... I would have thought that the FX4s would be the rougher-riding of the choices, but I read in a review somewhere that the stiffer suspension and the Bilsteins actually IMPROVE the ride. Doesn't make sense to me....?

2- I have read on this board that the manual-shift models are much louder than those with automatics because of the extra holes in the floor, is this accurate?

3- How do the 4wd mechanisms differ between the autos and the manuals? I know the sticks have a floor-mounted shifter, does this indicate a different mechanism or only a different actuation mechanism?

4- Anyone have any trouble with the 4.0/manual shift combination?

5- Should I just get a used Explorer? :)

Any input would be appreciated.

-SHOV6
    The question about military rebates earlier. I finally had the time to call Ford Motor Customer Relations. They do have a rebate for military members which will expire within the next two weeks. They notify all dealers. The rebate $$$ comes from Ford and not from the dealership which does not hurt the dealer's bottom line but help bring in more potential customers. When I bought my Ranger from the dealer this past June, the salesperson and the assistant sales manager knew nothing about it and said it was a GM thing. As I investigated further with Ford, they gave me the scoop. Not all dealers sign up for it as it's more paperwork??? Anyways, I called the dealership up again 5 weeks after and asked for the sales manager to check into it for me and he was surprised (after he checked into it 30 minutes later) that they were participating in the program. All he needed was my military ID which I faxed to him to get the paper processed. I believe the rebate is $500 but I'll be happy in getting something back. BTW, this info is not on the Ford website (they just have the overseas Military Purchase Program).
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    As the owner of a 2001 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4 with a manual transmission, I will try to help you out.
    1. While I have not driven it, I am pretty sure the FX4 has the same springs as the other models, just better shocks, which probably do improve the ride. Please note that only a 2wd regular height XLT will provide car-like handling - 4wd models will not. My advice is to think about if really need 4wd. You will only use it about 3% of the miles you drive, but will use about 3mpg more gas all the time, and pay a handling and ride penalty. In my case, we get lots of snow where I live, and it has proven worthwhile when launching my water craft.
    2. My truck is very quiet, more so than my wife's SVT Focus. The manuals are not louder than the automatics.
    3. Same transfer case with either manual or electronic 4wd engagement. I have the electronic, and I like it. No Problems, easier to use on the fly when you hit snowy roads.
    4. If you are coming for a car, you will notice the manual transmission in the truck does not like to be shifted quickly. All the rotating mass of the transfer case prevents lightning quick shifts. If you try to rush gear changes, the syncros will grind, even when brand new. The 4.0L does work well with manual, quicker than the automatic. Shifts at high RPM are hard to get smooth though.
    5. After 2 years and 34,000 miles, I still enjoy driving my Ranger. It's size makes it more enjoyable to drive than a full-size truck in the city and in parking lots. It has the same payload as a 1/2 ton full size - nobody believes this until they check the specs. I have a slide-in truck camper for mine, and it hauls that 1100+ pounds just fine, even towing a watercraft on a trailer. The 4.0L manual is quicker than the full-size extended cab trucks (0-60 about 8 seconds, 16.0 in the quarter mile). Get a FX4 in Sonic Blue or Black.
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    I too am a long time car owner looking at a truck. You may want to consider an Explorer Sport Trac. Ride was very good for a truck.

I have not driven the Ranger since I need a real back seat.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member open chat!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Pop in for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    That bed is a joke. Looks like less cubic feet than the trunks of some big cars. what's that, 4 and a half feet?
    Does anyone ever care about these chat things that get posted on every forum? Sound like a market research ploy to me.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The chats are just a chance for Town Hall users to get together "live" and get into the issues they normally do at a faster pace than here on the boards.

As close as it gets to "market research" would be keeping track of how many people show up.

The Thursday Subaru Crew chat is pretty much a bunch of folks that love talking Subaru, but the monthly memeber to member chat is wide open. If a group of you Pickups board enthusiasts want to show up and use the time to talk trucks, you'd certainly be welcome!

Heck, if there was enough interest, a separate Pickups chat could be born.

But for now, stop in at one of the chats and see what it's all about!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    I have a '03 Long bed Ranger. The long beds come with a an obligatory "suspension package", and I find my truck seems several inches higher than a "normal" Ranger and has a very stiff ride. Does anyone know what this suspension package consists of and weather it can be modified? Are there blocks that can be removed? Can I crank off the springs/shocks a little? Thanx.
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. Just a note/question to Seyroni. I was just over at the Ford dealer the other day and they had two Ranger regular cabs/long bed, one had the 3.0V6 the other had the 4.0. How do you like your truck so far despite the firm ride? Didn't take either one for a test drive, but if have more time will try to get back there. Really don't see to many Ranger LB on the street anymore, but I like the idea of a 7ft. box in a small truck. Does the cab feel cramped? I'm 5"11 so leg room may be an issue. I currently own a '97 F-150 RC/LB, and my wife and I may want to downsize to a smaller pickup, just don't need the bulk anymore. Please let me know what you think, any info. appreciated.

Thanking in advance,
    Paul
    Campout.
       Thus far the truck seems OK. The engine growls a little over 3 grand, the ignition key release tab is clumsily placed, the torque peak is too high, and, of course, there's that rocklike quality to the ride. The acceleration is adequate but won't pin you to your seat. I'm installing an aftermarket ignition system once I've broken 'er in, so I expect that'll improve.
       No, I don't find it cramped, but, then, I'm claustrophilic, so I'm probably not the one to ask. Actually, I took a tape measure and compared the interior cab width with a friend's 5 or 6 year old Dakota -- not a quarter inch difference!
    Yeah, I found it hard to believe too, so I remeasured. Same result.
       I agree with your observation about the rarity of long beds. 20 years ago everybody made long beds and they were common. Today a lot of people buy pickups as fashion statements, and most prefer a long cab to a long bed. Some vehicles out there today have beds only 4 feet long! Hell, you could buy a sedan, remove the trunk lid, and have a "pickup" that actually handled well, rode quietly and comfortably, and got good gas mileage!
       The way I see it a pickup is a utility vehicle; a box on wheels, and you will always get more utility out of a big box than a small one. If you buy a box you don't need just to be cool you're a poseur.
    For some reason my '03 Ranger 4 cyl 5 SPD runs much better with high test gasoline, which it should not require. More power, lower enfine noisevibration and lower shift points, the difference is very noticable. Any one else in the same situation?
This discussion has been closed.