Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Buying for Women

12346»

Comments

• andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    I saw you few times posting about Carmax on "Carmax: What is your personal experience." And I automatically thought you work at one. Sorry
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter seeks to talk with an African-American woman who owns and loves a 2007 or 2008 model year vehicle. Please send your city and state of residence and make and model of your vehicle to jfallonedmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 27, 2007.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 68ghia68ghia Member Posts: 1
    I am just starting my adventure in buying a new car. Usually in the past I have bought older ones in private sales, however, I have just gotten a small insurance settlement and have decided to splurge on a new vehicle.
    I am, a 60 year old woman, and it is interesting to see how I am treated in various dealerships. I want to post some of my experiences.

I went to a large Mazda dealership. I have owned Mazdas in the past and liked them,and was near the dealership on some other business, so I figured it was a good place to start.

The salesman who came up to me (it seemed they had to FORCE someone to come and help me) seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. He was indifferent to the point of being rude. He was hesitant to even let me sit in the driver's seat and totally refused a test drive. When I was looking at a vehicle, he pulled out a cigarette and started smoking.

I was decently dressed (nice slacks and a sweater), my hair amf makeup looked good, and I had the money to buy. Needless to say, I walked away VERY QUICKLY. As I did, I told him, "It is obvious you do not want to sell me a car today. Good bye."

This week I am off to Honda. Will post more in my adventures later.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    That's just sad in this day and age.

In my business I sell mainly to women. While women seem to take longer to make a decision than men they also become loyal customers who make repeat purchases. Men tend to shop like they are being pursued by the police (give it to me quick, here's the money,I'm gone).

Perhaps this salesman didn't want to take the time to make you a loyal customer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    The salesman who came up to me (it seemed they had to FORCE someone to come and help me) seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. He was indifferent to the point of being rude. He was hesitant to even let me sit in the driver's seat and totally refused a test drive. When I was looking at a vehicle, he pulled out a cigarette and started smoking.

I wouldn't expect you to do business at that dealer. Keep shopping they are not all like that. it is a shame you got treated like that.
  • shifterzshifterz Member Posts: 3
    Car buying, car reading, and car information is completely and totally not in any way easy for women. Some forums (most) are so pigheaded it's ridiculous. Last couple of times I went to go get a car, if I went to the lot by myself. No one came and talked to me. No one. I remember one time I was ready to plunk down money to purchase a car, but no one came and offered me any assistance. So I walked up to the window, tapped on it (as they were behind it watching me), said, "I was going to buy that car right there (pointed to a cavalier) but you know...apparently you guys don't want my money. So...bye!" I waved and left. Screw them, they don't want to talk to me they don't get my money.

At that point I didn't know much about cars...obvious as I was going to buy a Cavalier I know :P ...but as my love of cars has grown it's been one heck of a time trying to find and join good forums and such that aren't

a) full of guys who hate the idea of a chick in their territory
    b) doesn't have naked women sprawled everywhere on top of every car
    c) don't mind talking to you like you're an intelligent human being instead of just saying "buy a minivan, get in the kitchen and gimme pics"

Almost makes one really want to quit being an enthusiast....but I tell you...I cant :shades:
    "...it's been one heck of a time trying to find and join good forums..."

I assume you are talking about non-Edmunds forums. I've been reading these forums for a little over a year now and I haven't seen any chick-haters or naked pics yet. And believe me, I've asked some VERY basic questions. I'm not a car nut and I don't pretend to know about detailed mechanical differences. Sometimes I'm sure I appear like a dope to some of the pros but they have always been friendly and helpful.

I have looked at some of the forums on other sites and found them to be just as you describe. That would not be tolerated by our hosts.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I'm officially back on track for maintenance. Got new tires, switch to synthetic oil (about three oil changes ago), 60k maintenance, new front brake pads and rotors.

All cost me 1,500's and my dealer did all my work except for new tires. They gave me one of their other Toyota techs and I was assigned to different service consultant (one of the two I was hoping for.) No pressure and paid less than what I was planning. To top it off; they still washed my car even if we were getting snow storm at the time and they also cranked up the heat so when I got into my car; I was going into warm car.

For some odd reason, I smell the "new car smell" and I haven't smelled this quite new since the day I bought my car. They didn't change my cabin air filter :confuse:
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Well come on, the suspense is killing me.
    Last couple of times I went to go get a car, if I went to the lot by myself. No one came and talked to me. No one. I remember one time I was ready to plunk down money to purchase a car,

It is fact I believe from NADA that woman make 90% of the house hold decisions. i would rather talk to a woman any day of the week over male prospect. Plus the woman are better to look at ;) and spend time with.

Also woman in my experience are not afraid to pay profit. Doesn't mean they want to be taken advantage of but if treated right they will pay profit. :)

GP
    Also woman in my experience are not afraid to pay profit. Doesn't mean they want to be taken advantage of but if treated right they will pay profit.

How funny you said that. Cause my personal sales consultant (I guess you can call her personal; since we have done two deals together. Probably more to come) treated me like she would treat a daughter. I gave her respect cause I knew I was getting respect back. So it kind of gave us trust on both ends. I offered to take 530 month car payment with different company but she explained to me I could go with brand new Tahoe for about that much and it would of been crazy to just buy a Scion tC with those loan terms. So she got me better terms with Toyota Financial and I accepted with smile.

She also explained I could finance any accessories with the loan. So I picked over 2,000's worth. Then I made comment about me carrying spare car key during work hours so on cold days I could start the car & run it while it's locked. She quickly said "You should get remote starter! I can get you one installed." I kind of hesitated since I heard remote starters could screw up starters and alternators. She kept pressuring and I finally said "Okay." Turns out, it was very helpful specially on those 10 degrees days when I leave for work. No problems yet. Then again, I also don't use it everyday; only on those very cold nights. I found out long idle really does kill gas.

Who knew a car saleswoman sucker sales pitch would be helpful? lol
    "... explained I could finance any accessories with the loan..."

What kind of interest rate did you get from your saleswoman? Was it lower than the other company and was it for the same or longer term?

Sounds like you had an enjoyable car buying experience.

If I can remember correctly, American Credit Union wanted 17% or 16% for 72 while Toyota Financial wanted 8.5% for 72. I originally wanted to buy my tC as second car and she agreed at first. We did credit application and every requirements for each loan stated "Must trade in current TFS loan." She explained to me "I know you can probably do this. But you will be paying double everything. Here at Carmax, we don't want to see our customers get into serious problems down the road. If you went to another dealership, you would of left with the keys long time ago. I rather see you trade in the xA that's if you want the tC that bad?" I told her back, "Let me think about it and see if there's any other options." Following Monday, she called me on my cell phone (I don't know how she got my number? But she got it.) I think the call last least five minutes and out of those minutes I think only minute and half was about the car. We were talking more about each other's days and jobs. lol

The woman I bought it from; she's been employed at Carmax for almost 10 years. She was one of the few who was able to keep her job when Carmax bought out the auto mall. The woman sure knows what she is talking about and that's why I trust her all the way. She was flattered when I bought in all of the paperwork, did my homework, knew finance offers, my Dad sat far, far away from us so I can do everything on my own when I bought my first car. This was my first ever loan car; I knew 315 month car loan was too much for minimal wage job so I deeply thought and asked if 72 month loan could be option right on the spot.

She has told me that many customers come back and buy cars from her again and again. In fact she has one customer who comes in every five months and trades in the car she sold him the last time for another one. He will only deal with her.
    Andeet,

It is nice to hear a story like that, a good one at a car dealer froma consumer ;)

On the reomte starter... Don't worry too much every once in awhile they need to be adjusted and it ussualy takes a day. The company we use will do it for free for life of the car as long as it is the original owner.

GP
    I guess you could say I had rare buying experience compared to other car buyers. Don't worry I told Carmax during the survey "She did excellent job. I'll probably buy from her again." But she actually tried convincing me about saying "Oh yeah, Christine sure knows her sh**" Just to see what her manager would say during review time. Unfortunately , they called me about 9:00 am and I was dead sleep. Kind of forgot to say it but I think "excellent" could easily equal to "Knows her sh**"

I know this might sound corny but I actually admire her alot. It's something I learned from being on here and reading through all posts. Seeing most female salespeople usually doesn't stick around that often unless they are successful and they go through alot of crap from colleagues & male customers.

But then on the other hand; I've been admiring lot of female professionals like my employer's owner. She's 60 something and started her company in the basement of her house while she came from a family with money. Company started booming while making even more millions and owning the same old Ford Town Car for 15 years. I never met this woman yet...I heard she is witch but I heard if you work in a warehouse and woman. You're already on her good side.

I think it could be caused by not having a mother to look up to through my teens and the women around me like certain family members aren't really good examples except for two (my older sisters.)
    "...most female salespeople usually doesn't stick around that often unless they are sucessful and they go through alot of crap from colleagues & male customers..."

That's the same as for male salespeople. ;)

• norcal182norcal182 Member Posts: 6
    I went into San Rafeal Chevrolet in San Rafeal, Ca to purchase three cars. One brand new Hyundai Santa Fe, one used 03 Chevy Tahoe and a used 05 Dodge Ram.

First Issue: We first purchased a 03 Chevrolet Tahoe for the price of 20K. Everything was fine until I went home and happened to stumble on the dealerships webpage. Out of curiosity I had looked up my SUV I had just purchased. To my surprise I found my vehicle priced for 19495. Immediately, I phoned the dealership and spoke with the manager about the situation. They took care of it and said that they would fix the price and send a check to the financial institute my vehicle was financed through. TWO MONTHS later the bank has not seen the check. I have called several times to the dealership and have had no responses. Even a couple of visits with assurance someone would call me back but everytime leaving empty handed because so and so isn't in today.

Second Issue:
    We also purchased a used 05 Dodge Ram. As a condition of the sale they were suppose to install a bed liner. My first gripe about this deal is that I had purchased this vehicle in early November, but the deal with the bank did not close until late December. In the meantime of them closing the deal they took it upon themselves to sell my trade in before the deal was even funded. Not only did it take until late December for the deal to even get funded but I was not able to get my bed liner for the entire month. Now that they have received their money from the bank, I have yet to get any money for my bed liner to be installed. I have also made several attempts to contact them regarding this issue and have received no responses. I am now out 1000 dollars because of this situation.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do now? Do I have a leg to stand on in court? Should I take them to court??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I can think of a couple of things you might try. Talk to them face to face and ask them to resolve the issues and, while you're at it, very politely mention that you are considering taking it to the Better Business Bureau. Don't do it in a threatening manner and stay calm and friendly; just mention it with no additional comment. At that point a respectable dealer will make a good faith effort to fix the problems.

If that fails, follow through with the BBB. Beyond that, there is always small claims court. Just be sure that you can document everything! The court will almost certainly rule in your favor given what you've said here.

Anyone else have ideas to help norcal?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Legally I don't think you have a leg to stand on in the first issue. You agreed to buy the Tahoe for 20k.

In the second issue, if you don't have any documentation, or a contract, saying the dealership owes you a bed liner... then you are S.O.L on that one too.

I don't think this sleazy dealership will give you anything unless you have proof of an agreement.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Does anyone have any advice on what I should do now? Do I have a leg to stand on in court? Should I take them to court??

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! :mad:

Your first issue about the price of the Tahoe. State law in Mass. says you have to sell a vehicle for what it is advertised for. I would download the screen if possible still or maybe you still have it downloaded somewhere in your computer.

For them to say they will send $505 to the bank is [non-permissible content removed]. That won't change your payments at all. It will just take it off the remaining balance at the end. And ... I don't know maybe they think you will forget about it at that time. You should have had them cut you a check for $505. for the differance of the advertised price. Like I said it is a law in Mass. and have seen dealers give the money back after trying to pull a fast one. Good luck getting your money back. You may want to contact your District Attorney's office and ask them about your laws in California. You will just need your paper work and there add.

Secondly on the bed liner :mad:

This is the part that sucks. If you didn't get it on the Purchase and Sales contract or a " We Owe " form than your S.O.L. . Unless you can go in there and speak to the General Manager of the store. Keep calling, emailing, and stopping by the store until you get what is owed to you \. You do have some leverage that you just bought 3 vehicles and did intend on servicing these vehicles at there store but if this doesn't get resolved than you will sue( as long as you have paper work to back up what yopu are saying) or just take your business elsewhere and you will contact the BBB and tell everyone that not to do business there. Tell them you will take a $25 add in the paper to tell everyone in that area what sleazy dealer they are. You might get some attention than.

Please come back and let us know how you made out!

Good Luck :)

GP
    I agree with the previous poster who said you may be SOL.. If you have nothing in writing then all you have is a contract that says in the fine print that the contract is final unless noted other wise.

As far as the law that says you have to sell the car what it is advertised for. I don't think it would hold much water, if it did you could sue people every day that beat you down below the advertised price. Even if the law was tight who has a copy of the truck being advertised for the $19495.

BTW I would have ran when they said they were charging $495 for a bed liner. We sell them all day for $235, cost is $170, and those are Ford Liners not cheap aftermarket crap.
    As far as the law that says you have to sell the car what it is advertised for. I don't think it would hold much water, if it did you could sue people every day that beat you down below the advertised price. Even if the law was tight who has a copy of the truck being advertised for the $19495.

If you have a stock number or vin that was shown you have all the power in the world. It is at least the reason in Mass. that you have stock numbers attatched to any addvertised price.

GP
    Understood, but I was just wondering if the poster printed the advertised price they found. If the car is sold I am sure it is not on the web site anymore, especially if it has been brought into question.

If he didn't print it who does the burden of proof fall on, the customer to prove it was actually advertised at that price, or the dealer to prove it wasn't?

Was there a trade in involved that the dealer over allowed on the trade and showed retail to retail figures on?

I agree 100%, if the poster has money due then he should get it. If he is owed a bed liner then he needs to go park the truck in the service and tell them he will move once the bed liner is installed. That is if he does in fact have paper work stating he is owed a bed liner. Better yet demand a check for the $495 bed liner then go to a truck accessories store and buy one for $235. Hell you can put a Rhino Liner in for $495. But as you and I both know there is always two stories and we always just get one of them.

Advice to all consumers. If the deal is not completed never leave the dealer with out a "We Owe".
    Thank you all for the responses!

I actually do have a buyers order for the bedliner for the Dodge. I have made several attempts to call them and ask them for my check. I have even shown up and gotten nowhere because so and so isn't in. I have contacted the BBB and have filed a claim but I haven't gotten any responses from that yet.

I did print out the page from their website listing the vehicle being priced at $19495 and it even has the VIN number on it.

So can I go to small claims court and win?
    Also, it isn't just as easy as going down to their service area. I have to go to a place that can install the liner. The dealership doesn't have anyone who can install the liner there.
    Thank you all for the responses!

I actually do have a buyers order for the bedliner for the Dodge. I have made several attempts to call them and ask them for my check. I have even shown up and gotten nowhere because so and so isn't in. I have contacted the BBB and have filed a claim but I haven't gotten any responses from that yet.

I did print out the page from their website listing the vehicle being priced at $19495 and it even has the VIN number on it.

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    is there any fine print at the bottom of the ad-adding on additional fees to that price. there are ads that advertise a certain price such as the $19,495 but with additional fees the actual price is higher.
    Also, it isn't just as easy as going down to their service area. I have to go to a place that can install the liner. The dealership doesn't have anyone who can install the liner there.

The dealer must have a company that does it for them that they work with. All you will need is a PO# from the delaer and make sure the sales person or a manager calls them in front of you so you know everything is all set. Drop the Dodge off for a day and bang your bedliner is installed.

You could bring them to small claims court I guess.

The thing I can't get is why all the trouble :sick:

GP
    Yeah, it does seem like alot of trouble. It's not necessarily about the money anymore it's the principle. If they can take advantage of me, then how many people have they and can they do this to?
    I do understand that after taxes and all the other stuff that the price does go up. It's the fact that the base price was priced online for less than what they sold it to me for.

I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

At this point I would contact an attorney and ask him to draft a letter stating you want a check for $495 for the Bed Liner plus the difference in what you paid and what the truck was advertised for.
  • termicotermico Member Posts: 3
    I haven't seen a discussion on the board about using brokers or someone to do the legwork in finding a vehicle.
    I'm a single female who works long hours and I don't have the time to do the legwork involved in finding the truck I want. Plus, the experiences I have had in every dealership is enough to put me off the idea of visiting them again.

Does anyone know a reputable place to find a broker (if that is the right term) or someone who will take the specifications I have and for a fee, find the truck I'm looking for?

Thanks
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Try the yellow pages. Or do you have any car nut friends? A lot of people enjoy the car buying and negotiation process, even if doing for someone else, and would do it for nothing.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Here's another thought - if you know precisely what truck you want (trim level, options, color, etc.) and have done some pricing research, call two or three stores that carry the brand and have them locate it for you. It takes just a few minutes for them to check their system and they will do so knowing that you are a serious buyer.

Once they say they have found one (or more), have them send you documentation on the vehicle(s) so you can be sure everything is right. Then do your negotiations (which shouldn't take very long). They'll do a dealer trade and you'll have exactly what you want.

You can also do the same thing with email but it can sometimes (depends on the manufacturer) be a bit more cumbersome because of built-in limitations on initial contact.
    "...and would do it for nothing..."

Gee Jipster, you don't even know if she lives near you!

That's not a bad idea though.

Failing that termico, I would just Google for the information. It's hard to recommend anything specific, not knowing what area you live in.

I would be sure to get written information on what they are providing for the money.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. if nothing else we can offer moral support. :)

• termicotermico Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestions. The last time I was truck shopping, I had emailed several dealerships with exactly the truck I wanted. I got a ton of return emails, zero of them about the truck I was interested in. The salesmen did not seem motivated to find the truck I wanted, although maybe that won't be the case this time around.

I do know all the specs I want, I just don't want to go through the stress of negotiations again. I'd truly rather have a root canal done than deal with the salesman/manager at any dealership. Each time I've bought a car, it's been such a unpleasant experience.

I'm in North Texas, btw. Thanks again, I will try the yellow pages!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to interview women who are their family's car buyer and men who gave up the role to a female partner. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, September 2, 2011 with your daytime contact information to be interviewed.
This discussion has been closed.