Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bluetooth Technology

Comments

• confusedontlconfusedontl Member Posts: 15
    Hey you know what that just might work. We have been having some problems down here (southern louisiana) after the hurricanes with Cingular service. The least they can do is replace my battery. Thanks for the info. I never thought of that.
  • gleil99gleil99 Member Posts: 1
    Just got an 815 for my 05 TL. Does the HFL recognize your contact list? When ever I say a contact from my contact list it dial #1 to verizon. Any ideas?
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    The TL cannot read from your phones contact list. The car has it's own phone book that you must enter names and numbers in separately.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My 7100 model fried when I jumped into a pool to save a little kid from drowning...

So now I'm using a 7290, the bulkier one with the full keyboard. Better for typing, but boy does it feel big. My wife says I'm talking into a calculator!

At least it still has Bluetooth.

I may get the new 8700 in a couple of weeks when that comes out for T-Mobile. Anyone use that yet?

-juice
  • tnanatnana Member Posts: 10
    Both our phone are registred and tested fine.

But in Autoconnect mode it will only connect to the last phone that was connected even if both phones are in car before starting. If autoconnect is turned off, one has to go through menus to connect to a specific phone.

Why cann't they offer a choice at startup if bluetooth is in autoconnect mode?

Do other Bluetooth car work same way ?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    All Toyotas work this way. I think the point is to automatically connect to your phone. If they put up a prompt, I think that would annoy a lot of people like the I-Agree button does.
  • dan4125dan4125 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a Verizon Razr V3c which is compatible, I followed setup and everything worked fine. The next morning I start my car and turn on phone and I get message no device found. I then drove out to dealer and asked them if I had missed something in the setup and one of the sales people came out to my car to help and when I started the car I had a connection which remained on the rest of the day. Today again I start the car and phone and no connection. When I go into the phones setup hit find me the connection is made and the connection stays all day no matter how many times I leave the car. Has anyone else had this issue.I would appreciate any input because Verizon says it is an Acura problem and Acura says they have never heard of this.
  • dougjdougj Member Posts: 4
    I've been test driving MDX's with a 8700 blackberry and it works fine in all the vehicles that I've ridden in.
  • csubiz22csubiz22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Motorola V551 cell phone with blue tooth, and sometimes when I receive a call or call out, using the TL's bluetooth feature, The car will "ring" normally through the speakers and when I press the button on the steering wheel (to accept the call), it doesn't come over the speakers. Instead, it makes the sound that you hear when you press the button on the steering wheel to hang-up a call. The interesting part with this is that although it doesn't come over the speakers, my phone shows that I am still on the line with the person, at the same time my display still shows how many bars of signal strength i currently have. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, and what they did to fix it. I obviously dont know if its the phone or the bluetooth technology that came with the car. I can imagine who the dealer will blame. Please help
  • kasey52701kasey52701 Member Posts: 3
    I checked acura.com/handsfree and this list of sprint approved phones is very select. Either you pay 350-500 for a crazy big phone or you get an older model.

No flip phones on the list! :confuse:

Anyone experienced a Sprint phone that works great for the 06TL? Thanks.
  • mageshmagesh Member Posts: 33
    I just got my Acura NAVI TL & hooked up my Treo 650 (Sprint) and my wife's Sony Ericcson T616 (AT&T/Cingular). Works great on both.

M
  • jeswinjeswin Member Posts: 3
    would you please let us know where u received this info from? And when you say compatible, currently Acura HFL is able to pick up calls using the A900. However, its not able to end calls, or push other info such as signal strength, battery life etc. Any of these features to become available?
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    I have a V551 thru Cingular. I have NEVER had a moments trouble with mine. I have an 04. The only inconvenience I have is the fact that when I am at Highway speeds I have to say "hello" 2 or three times before the person on the other end responds.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone know if Blackberry's work with the Lexus GS bluetooth? I just looked at Lexus's web site and it doesn't seem to have any Blackberry's listed. The Infiniti M has a bunch listed. Thanks.
  • geffgeff Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2005 prius and a Motorola V710 phone with Verizon. It will make and send calls, however, if I get a call waiting there is a 80% chance that both calls will be dumped. Also, I cannot transfer me contact list. I want to get another phone, any suggestions?
    Thank you, Geff
  • marcom56marcom56 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this will help, but I have a Motorola v710 from Verizon. Mt TL kept dropping incoming calls although the caller was still connected. I found a reply on here about the 8i5 phone

"Whenever I press the HFL talk button to answer an incoming call, the system picks up the call but then immediately switches back to the audio system mode. The caller tells me it feels like I've placed them on hold. To "re-answer" the call, I'd have to press the talk button again, then press the end button. This will alow me to stay on the call. Quite an annoyance, really. I contacted Acura, and they indicated the voice-prompt mode doesn't work with the E815. The HFL system only works properly in the ringer mode, which is what I've done. I rather like the sexy female voice, though."

I tried both fixes and they both work. If course having the car set to ring rather than voice prompt is much simpler.

Hope it helps!
  • marcom56marcom56 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for posting this. I have the V710 and it would drop calls too when paired with my 05 TL. once I set the ring prompt instead of the voice prompt, I could pick up the calls.

Thanks!
  • animalsrushanimalsrush Member Posts: 62
    Has anyone enabled this phone with Acura. The acura list shows only K700i . The only diffrence between 700 and 750 is memory and phone. So i can't seem to get this phone recognized by the system. Any help?? :confuse:
  • jssasimpjssasimp Member Posts: 1
    It will connnect, but drops almost immediately.

Sometimes it will just start working and pick up a call that comes in, but that is very rare.

Any help is appreciated in terms of other people's expereince or where to go to talk with someone that would know how to fix the problem if it can be fixed.

On a related note, where can a find a list of supported phones and services for the Sienna. I tried Letstalk.com but did not see anything too obvious.

Thank you.
    John Simpson
  • pchandlerpchandler Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the new LX350 from sprint works with the handsfreelink?
  • raywinn1raywinn1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how to connect the 8700c to a Bentley Flying Spur? '06 model.
    HELP
    I have the 8700g model, but they should be similar.

I have a Bluetooth headset but have not set it up with this device yet, because I just got it and the backlight it defective so I'm replacing it.

Any how, I just looked and on the BBerry it's under Options, Bluetooth, click the Thumbwheel and then Enable Bluetooth. Click again, and choose Add Device.

That's as far as I can help you. At that point it looks for devices to pair up to, but mine isn't with me. Get your Bentley to the same state, i.e. looking for devices to pair up to.

For my headset, the PIN was 0000 from the factory, not sure about the Bentley, a dealer could probably tell you or maybe you can look it up. I'm wondering if they use Audi's MMI system? I'm not familiar with that, either.

Good luck.

-juice
  • oroscoorosco Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2007 camary with Bluetooth capability, but from the reviews I found out that only Motorola and singular are the recommended phone that a compatible for full capability usage. I have a sprint phone and I understand that I will not be able to have voice command capability. I wondering if any sprint user have had full user compatibility with their bluetooth system. I really don't want to change my carrier. Please respond if you can help.
  • djpdx1djpdx1 Member Posts: 30
    I use the Camry's voice command feature to dial on my Sprint phone. Seems to work just fine--
  • nachalniknachalnik Member Posts: 4
    Pairing of my PEBL and MDX went very smoothly. The problem is, it doesn't look that I can call from my phone when I'm in the car. Do I have to use Bluetooth? I don't have any problems with incoming calls but when I try to place a call I run into all sorts of problems. The phone doesn't ring but I can't hang up either. Any advice?
    I suspect that yes, you'd have to use Bluetooth to pair them up completely. Give it a shot. Check the instruction manual that came with the PEBL.

I set up a headset for someone that has a PEBL, the headset's default password was 0000, the PEBL found it right away, and it worked.

-juice
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone been able to transfer his/her phonebook from a Verizon Motorola E815 to a Toyota or Lexus? We just took delivery of a '07 Camry; I am having no luck, would like to know it is possible. Anyone?
  • vdocvdoc Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know how to temporarily mute the bluetooth system in the 400H so that someone riding with me can't hear the other party?
  • jherbstjherbst Member Posts: 19
    I have an '05 Grand Cherokee with Uconnect and a V3 Razr via Cingular. The problem: Whenever I am on the phone and a call comes in via call waiting, if I do not answer the 2nd call (let the call go to voicemail), when the 2nd caller disconnects, both calls disconnect. I called Uconnect and they said to disable call waiting because the Razr phone software is not compatible with Uconnect/Call waiting. I asked for a list of phones that works and he said to call the cell provider. I won't bore you with the rest of the not so pleasant conversation.
    Has anyone ever heard of this? Specific phones not being full featured with Uconnect?
  • tori9788tori9788 Member Posts: 1
    I have been working for month's to get my dad's bluetooth to function correctly. I have gone to several dealerships and contacted Siemens to see what the problem is. The phone works fine until you try to send a call directly from the phone- the cars system never picks it up. My moms Razr however, picks it up after a few second overlay. Is there any way to fix this or to disable the phone function so he can dial while the car is moving?
  • ddeloysddeloys Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same issues with a V3 Razr and our Volvo XC90 with Volvo For Life. Volvo has stated the exact same solution. Cingular is clueless. Have you come up with any other solutions/work arounds since you originally posted this note?
  • domenickamarcdomenickamarc Member Posts: 53
    Don't know about Sprint, but today I paired my Verizon Wireless Treo 650 via bluetooth with my 2005 Audi A6. Did it all from the phone. Went to set up devices, nearby devices, waited for Audi MMI to show up, selected it, entered the four digit code. I tried a few, since no one on earth can actually tell you what code to use. For me, the code 1234 unlocked it and paired it up. Still playing with how to sync and so forth, but if you're the kind of person who can learn by doing, that worked for me. So far, this post is the only place on the Internet where you can read how to pair the A6 with the TREO 650. I know 'cause I looked everywhere! Good luck.

With my 2006 Audi A6, there is a good explanation of setting up Bluetooth cellphones, starting on page 85 of the "Infortainment/MMI" manual -- including (top of page 86): "The Bluetooth PIN is 1234".

I just upgraded to Verizon Treo 700p (from 2+ year-old Treo 600). Here are steps I went through to "pair" the phone and the car:

Tapped "Bluetooth" on phone's "Favorite List" (shows up on phone's opening screen) but could also have gone through "Applications" to get to "Bluetooth".

Selected "on"

Left name of device as it was (my initials) designated by Palm software when I downloaded old info from computer to new phone.

Left "visibility" set to "hidden" (that appears to have nothing to do with Audi being able to detect phone; it seems to only mean that other bluetoothers in the vicinity won't pick up my phone's presence).

Tapped "Setup Devices" and on screen which then appears I tapped "Hands-free Setup".

On "Add Device" screen (after a few seconds) the Audi appeared and I tapped it's name. ("Show pick list" and the "Nearby devices" might have had to be tapped first).

Entered same passkey (1234).

"OK"

Car kept asking for "SIM Card," but phone had none. Gave up. Drive home.

Put in SIM Card I had at home. This might not have been necessary. I was making initial attempt in area where my cell phone is not at its best.

Next day, once I was in decent phone reception area, I turned on Treo 700p. I pressed Telephone button on Audi. Car MMI screen showed that the car system was picking up presence of "Verizon" phone.

First tried voice entry of my home phone (digit by digit) and successfully called home.

Didn't notice if "Phonebook" from Treo had downloaded to car and was a lighted-up selectable from "Memory" menu on car screen. Later, did notice it was and that it had my list of "Favorite" phone numbers. Selected one and called it and talked without problem. Received calls fine all day.

Noticed that I have to turn Treo on (you know, if you have one, it's sort of "on" but screen is blank. Turned it on, hit middle button to keep it on.

This seems critical. Treo, as you know, turns off, if not used. So, it was turned on and car showed "Phonebook" was lit up and available to be selected. But I didn't do anything and Treo turned off and car said it didn't find any phone. Turned Treo on, hit telephone button on car and again car and phone said hello.

Made a call. Now Treo stayed on because it was doing something (connecting with car bluetooth system).

Happiness
  • tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    Can anyone help me? I have the Leux es350 with navigation.I'm able to send and receive calls fine. I can't get the navigation system to give me the choice to not answer the call. It always answers on the first ring. I went into the bluetooth and phone settings,then screen and told it to not answer automatically. It ignores the setting and still answers it.
    Thanks.
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Has anyone tried using the Verizon LG Chocolate phone in a 2006 Infiniti G35? Is the phone fully compatible with the car's Bluetooth interface? Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This Saturday, AutoScoop will be talking about cell phones while driving. As you know, we have a busy discussion on this "Should Cell Phone Users be Singled Out" http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f6321

Tune-in to your local station - http://www.autoscoop.com/index_map.php or go to the AutoScoop site or listen live on the web https://www.radiomat.com/register.php?action=register&station=KLSXFM

The show is from 8am-1pm EST. Call-in toll-free at 1-877-444-1994 to sound-off about this issue on the radio. Be sure and mention your Forums username!
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    My wife has a nokia 6102i that she uses in her 2007 Acura MDX with blue tooth. The main problem is that she can’t use the actual cell phone once it is paired with the car’s hands free link. She can only use the phone through the car. When she tries to make a call using the phone (instead of the hands free link) she just gets dead air, no dial tone, and usually the call doesn’t even go through. Additionally, once it disconnects with the hands free link, she can not connect it again without turning off the car and starting it up again. Anybody have any thoughts? Dealer and Cingular Wireless are WORTHLESS. Thanks.
    That's a shame. I bet the dealer uses BT as a selling point when a purchase is being considered. :mad:

Google "MDX Nokia 6120i" and see if any tips come up. Hopefully someone else has that exact combination. Did anyone in the Acura threads speak up?
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Ateixeira-
    No reply on Acura yet. Good thought on the Google. Will go try that now. You are SOOOOO right that they use BT as a selling point. Once you are done buying they tell you it doesn't work with every BT enabled cell phone AND, as we have learned, it doesn't work perfectly at all. For example, with Acura BT one can NOT dial from their phone. You have to use the Acura BT voice command. Try doing that with a 2 and 4 year old in the car. Not easy! Oh well... live and learn. Thanks!
  • cyberkeithcyberkeith Member Posts: 1
    Would someone please explain how a SIM Card can be put in a Treo 700p with Verizon service? I've nearly pulled out all of my hair trying to find a FIX for the bluetooth connection between the Treo 700p (Verizon) and the Audi Q7 with the MMI - I can get it to work, but it constantly repeats soft resets, rendering the phone nearly useless. I have learned that Palm is supposed to provide a Maintenance Release for the Treo 700p during the week of May 28, 2007, which will be the first MR since the phone was originally introduced. Message 337 describes inserting a SIM Card, but, for the life of me, one of the reasons I switched from Cingular to Verizon was to get away from Sim Cards. Therefore, I'd have to conclude that the author of message 337 was having a brain fart when he described the insertion of a Sim Card, OR, it is I who just simply doesn't understand.
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Member Posts: 36
    It is my understanding that the voice dial feature of the 2007 Audi Q7 BT does not allow you to dial a number via voice. In other words, one cannot say "Dial 212 569 9004" Does anyone know if this is true?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    On an LS460 using a Motorola Razr thru AT&T -- How do you set up the phone book so that the incoming caller's name and phone number appear on the nav screen when they call you. I have downloaded all my names and numbers from my phone, set up my speed dial etc. If I make the call, the name & number apppear--but if that same person calls me from that same phone, His name and number do not appear on my screen. I have had an 04 LS 430 with Nav and an 06LX 470, set them up the same way and could see the name and number on the screen when one of my contacts called me. I also remember reading something about a "1+" set up, but can't find it. Help, Please!
  • mannaciomannacio Member Posts: 1
    From the messages I've seen on this site, and other forums, it's as though people have forgotten or didn't know Bluetooth is a trademark for intellectual property licensed to the auto industry, phone manufacturers and others with the explicit understanding that Bluetooth devices be interoperable. When auto manufacturers post "supported phones" on their website they are, in my opinion, in violation of their agreement with the Bluetooth Organization. I have become something of an activist on this issue after an unbelievable experience with my 2007 Infiniti M35. After 4 months of ownership, with no problems, my entire console froze up on a trip back from Ashland OR to the SF Bay Area. This meant I had no radio, no CD player, no navigation system, no ability to change the temperature or the fan speed. I immediately went to my dealer when I got back and they had to consult with their engineers who said it was my AT&T 8525 that caused the problem. This phone was not on their list of supported phones. They did offer to buy me a new phone but there are no phones I could have gotten with Bluetooth, MS Office Mobile, a full slide out keyboard, Wi-Fi and a camera. So I adamantly refused and escalated the problem to senior management at Nissan. Suddenly, when faced with the potential for bad press, they agreed to fix the freeze up. An engineer had a CD on his desk which would change the programming of my console and avoid another freeze up. BUT they still wouldn't guarantee the continued operation of the phone. I since learned that many carmakers have websites which tell you what phones they "support". Some, such as Toyota even have legal disclaimers that imply that, should you use any other phones, they will bear no responsibility for whether the phone works or not. You'll have to call your phone maker. This is not only hostile to the users of Bluetooth phones it puts many of us in the position of having to choose between a car and a phone. And it is all being done despite the agreements these companies have signed with the Bluetooth Organization. My view is encapsulated in a movie quote: "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more". I would ask anyone who has had compatibility issues between a Bluetooth Certified Hands Free phone and their car, especially those the carmaker refused to resolve, to contact the Bluetooth Organization. There is a complaint form that can be found at: https://programs.bluetooth.org/apps/contactus/default.aspx

Your topic should be Brand and Trademark violations, because that is what this is all about: No interoperability or support for it and you should not get the trademark. Please feel free to pass this along to others who may have complaints too as well as any media that have an interest in the story.
    Can you answer the question I posed in my posting #346?
    Does it matter if you're moving or not? I notice some Toyota vehicles restrict the display when you're moving.
    Moving or not--still no display of both name & number. I have had 2 prior Lexus with Nav & Bluetooth--they would/did display name & number on anyone who was in my phonebook (both my car and my cell have the same phonebook).
    > When auto manufacturers post "supported phones" on their website they are, in my opinion, in violation of their agreement with the Bluetooth Organization.

What is your reasoning here? Many phones are not properly compliant with Bluetooth standards or have bugs in their software. If they don't work, they don't work. Also, there are different versions of Bluetooth and even the standard itself has various gray areas that leads to implementation differences.

It's not "hostile" to users of Bluetooth phones. It's trying to deal with the real world. Some phones work and some phones don't.

Now, your particular problem of the whole system freezing up is not a Bluetooth issue. A non-supported phone no matter what it does should not cause your entire system to freeze up. That's a software quality issue.
  • kpanekkpanek Member Posts: 2
    Hello Mannacio. I'd like to ask you for help.
    Have the same experience with Mercedes-Benz. We bought 3 luxury SUVs from them. They list "recommended phones" for their "Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth(R) (SAP) Telephone Module, Version 2" in official materials for the Czech Republic: 13 of 20 are NOKIAs, remaining 7 models just to cover-up Mercedes' NOKIA preference as those are out of reality: "VERTU" not sold at all in CZE afaik and, "SIEMENS" which is terminated brand as everybody in the biz knows.
    Mercedes representatives end up with indistinct statements or irrelevant excuses and I suspect them that they've explicitly (per-customer) blocked SONY ERICSSONs specificaly (car I've tested doesn't operate with any high-end SE model, including Z610i, P990i, etc.)
    It is likely that Mercedes is manipulating its customers and limits their "Bluetooth(R)" support artificially.
    I've found the form before your article and sent complaint there. But I wonder if you have identified particular article in Bluetooth member agreements / materials ? Do you have some further tips or experience?
    I'm attaching corresponding Mercedes-Benz material in English: http://resource.empyreum.net/temporary/Cradles_1207_en.pdf
    I'm about to become an activist in this as well :-) Any message from you to my e-mail karel.panek vortex empyreum.com will be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Karel
  • kpanekkpanek Member Posts: 2
    mdchachi, your opinion is incorrect. The problem stands in the fact, that vehicle manufacturer artificially limits its "Bluetooth(R)" support not due to technology (e. g. bluetooth device type or version), but based on its specific mobile phone brand preference. This could imply great harm to Bluetooth(R) brand itself according to my opinion. In my way of thinking such behavior of car manufacturer is manipulative, inadequate, unacceptable and perhaps illegal.
    You are stating conjecture, not fact. Do you have any evidence to support your conjectures?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who are always looking for the latest car technologies. If you always looking for the newest car gadgets, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Monday, October 6.
This discussion has been closed.