Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• atx_hybridatx_hybrid Member Posts: 9
    I own new a 2005 HCH too. I have driven around 1000 miles.
    But when my very first tank of gas got fully empty (which is 13.2 gallons)
    I had around 580 miles on it.Not close to the 47mpg or 48 Honda claims, but
    not 29 like you got. Here is what I Think:
    1) Driving style is a major factor- means not sudden speeding, sudden
    braking, stepping on the gas peddle to zoom etc will give a lower mpg.
    2) route with lots of uphill will have lower mpg too.
    3) Try to use "autostop" in a traffic jam - meaning, although it
    comes ON automatically, if the traffic inches slowly forward, autostop
    doesnot come on after that. so this results in gas loss. hence lower mpg.
    avoid inchiing forward as much as possible (if possible! :) ).

Otherwise, the people I know and I talk to about mpg and stuff get above 40mpg.
    Hope this helps!..
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    But when my gas tank indicator reaches half empty

I don't think you can trust that to be 100% accurate. The only true MPG indicator is dividing your miles by the gallons of gas when you fill the tank. Remember you need to fill to the same level on each fillup. The trip mileage indicators are not perfectly accurate. They are a tool to help you optimize your driving skills.
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    ATX_:
    You're absolutely right about learning to drive for efficiency and this applies to all vehicles. I used to think that my car's MPG just does what it does and it really doesn't matter that much how I drive. One real benefit to your new car is a real eye opener regarding this. If you decide to develop good efficiency skills with your HCH as a trainer, you can transfer that skill to any vehicle you drive be it a 4WD ATV, mid-size car or truck, SUV, H2 or what have you.
    We've improved our Grand Caravan's MPG by about 7MPG but the MPG swing by the hybrids are much greater than the conventional auto depending on your driving skills.
    For example I could drive like a maniac in my '04HCH and get mid 30's tank averages. Personally I enjoy maximizing my efficiency skills and my last 4 tank MPG's have been 61.8, 62.1, 60.4 and 59.3MPG. Last winters average was about 58.
    Most people are averaging about 46-47MPG in their HCH.
    That's about a 30MPG swing depending on driving skills vs our Grand Caravan's ~10MPG swing.

Gary is right in that the trip meters are not 100% accurate, although they are vastly more accurate than any other car I've personally owned.
    Mine are routinely off by (+-) 0-3MPG and very occasionally off by up to 6.
    As pointed out fill till it clicks off and manual calculation is recommended, unless you just require a fairly accurate figure.
  • mwsmws Member Posts: 5
    I own a '05 HCH with the manual transmission. It has 2500 miles or so. "Working" the car for it's maximun efficiency at first was a real challange, but soon became an easy transition, if you allow the car to help dictate how you drive it. Most of us are "on" the gas right up to stop signs, braking moderately hard, only to blast off when we resume our drive.
    My car has also taught me to coast long distances, "clutch in" whenever I approach a stop sign. The car seems to coast effortlessly for a 1/4 mile or longer. I also make sure at the end of a long coast to be in gear and braking to charge the car's batteriers. I am still learning to drive the car, but my lifetime MPG is 50.7 . I would exspect this to only increase as I improve these skills and the car "breaks in."
    The other issue I have noticed is that where you buy your gas also can affect your mileage. I have noticed as much as a 10% reduction in MPG { regular unleaded} based on where my gas was bought. It seems that gas with the 10% alcohol is a negative on the mpg. it might be 3-4 cents cheaper, but a 10% loss of MPG makes this no bargain at all.
    I have found my trip meter to be fairly accurate, but +- 2-3 MPG seems to be the true measure.
    Because of the added control, I would recommend the manual transmission to anyone seriously considering purchasing one of these cars.
  • atx_hybridatx_hybrid Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    On the 2005 HCH, like we know, there is a IMA dial which has Fuel gauge
    to show digitally the amount of gas spent.
    my questions (2 of them:)

#1) Does FULL tank (13.2 gallons) means it is till "F" in the gauge or all
    blue stripes ONLY?. I am wondering about this because, after the "F white stripe",
    there is a blank or a "gap" after which we see some 20 odd blue stripes.

so what does that gap mean?.
    (The reason is: I am trying to determine how much mileage I get per blue-stripe.).
    Do we take a FULL gas tank as it starts from "F" in the fuel gauage?.

#2) Do we take the "red" stripe near the "E" (empty) end of the gauage
    as one stripe of fuel just like the blue stripes?.

(I guess then there are totally 24 stripes in all.?.)

I am asking these questions just to be sure I can monitor my mileage per stripe
    if possible and extrpolate it to correct my driving skills for max mpg!. :)

-Thanks
  • editswlonghaireditswlonghair Member Posts: 1
    Approaching the 1 year anniversary of getting my '04 HCH. Like it a lot (esp. since gas is well over $2/gal!)

My one complaint- within a couple of months of owning the car, I discovered one morning I had a flat that could not be repaired because it was a crack in sidewall. I hadn't hit a curb or run over a nail or anything though. And I was not near a Honda dealer to get a warranty repair so I got the tire replaced with something from a Pep Boys.

Then, a couple of months later, and within 3 weeks of each other, I had TWO more tires go flat and be un-patchable. The 3rd time I had the NTB store I took it to replace the last original 'good' tire too.

Now, driving on these new (I assume normal/heavier tires), my max mpg is 42, averages 39-40 now that the weather is warmer (during the winter I was lucky to get 36!) I can live with this reduced fuel economy since I didn't have a spontaneous flat tire all winter, I hope my luck holds!

So, has anybody else encountered this- the tires being not so reliable? I know the hybrids come with some kind of new tire design to optimise fuel efficiency- are these tires thinner or something, making them wear easier?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I own a 2004 with the OEM Bridgestone tires. I ran over a board and got two sidewall punctures a couple of months after new, and my tire warranty I had purchased at the dealer covered the tires. I have had no other problems.

I also frequent other website forums, and no one I have heard about has had any recurring type problems with the Bridgestone B381 tires.

I think you just ran into a string of bad tire luck, with no reflection on the quality of the tires.... :D
  • cavendashcavendash Member Posts: 2
    For the past few weeks, we've been having problems with our 2003 Civic Hybrid's conventional battery. For no apparent reason, it will stop working, and require a jump from our other car. With the jump, it will work fine for a while.

We've taken it into the dealership several times, and they can find nothing wrong with it when they have it. Once we bring it back home, the battery will die again. The guys at the shop claim not to know what's going on, and say they need to get the car while it's battery is dead, otherwise they can't do anything. This is extremely frustrating, and inconvenient for everyone involved. If anyone else has had this problem, it would be helpful if they could share their experience here (or via e-mail).

Thanks in advance.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Here is better so everyone can benefit - thanks!
  • solar_dadsolar_dad Member Posts: 22
    I had this happen on both our 03 and 04 HCH. The dealer could find nothing wrong with the electrical system. They replaced the 12-volt battery under warranty and the problem went away.

Mike
  • cavendashcavendash Member Posts: 2
    They actually did replace the 12-volt on our car, too, but the problem has kept happening. That's probably one of the most frustrating pieces of this story.
  • heavyfootheavyfoot Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used Civic Ex Automatic (94) and I am experiencing a huge problem. I just had the transmission fluid and filter changed but it seems to have a little (minute) trouble when shifting from 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd. I also found that by lifting up on the gas pedal a half second it shifts automatically. I am wondering what to do about the problem. Will I need a new transmission? Or how long can I hold out - meaning at what point do I have to do something about it? Any advice anyone can provide on the issue is deeply appreciated as I am a novice and trying to save money.
    Thank you.
    Matt
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum. You may want to take this post to the Honda Civic thread. This is just problems with the Hybrid Civic. It does not have the same transmission as your car does. Good luck, hope you find your answers.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Yep... not quite the right topic. here's a link to where you want to be:

bill11770, "Honda Civic Owners: Problems & Solutions" #21, 18 Mar 2000 10:29 pm
  • nanodelle2nanodelle2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi There:
    I recently (2 mos ago) bought a pre-owned 2004 Civic Hybrid. Nothing's wrong w/ it; the previous owner wanted a larger vehicle. It's an automatic, and I do get fairly decent gas mileage (38-48, depending on load, like full gas tank vs. half-full). I bought it cuz it was like finding a hen's tooth, and new it'd be gone in a heartbeat....it's a certified vehicle.
    The thing is: I miss driving a manual transmission, so I test drove a manual transmission '05 Civic Hybrid today. It had maybe a bit better pickup, and was certainly more fun to drive than an automatic. However, when I asked about trading in my '04 Civic, which I spent $18.5 K on, 2 local dealerships told me that I'd maybe get $15.5 K (plus a reimbursement of my $1200 warrantee). I said "Nope....I've got a nice car, thank you!"
    Question to you guys: might it be worth trading my '04 Civic Hyb. in for a pre-owned manual T Civic Hyb? Do you really save that much more gas w/ a manual T? In any case, getting another decent "pre-owned" hybrid may be like finding another "hen's tooth!"
    Nanodelle2
    My advice is to wait until late fall and trade it for a 2006 Civic Hybrid manual tranny - completely new re-design coming out, new engine, promising BOTH "more power and greater fuel efficiency" than the current generation HCH.

You will be happier with that engine, more pep, and the stick shift, I think.... :D
  • tlancitlanci Member Posts: 2
    I have had similar problems since around 40,000 miles in my 03 Civic Hybrid CVT (bought new, now with 63K), usually when passing at highway speeds. Of course it has never done it with the mechanics on board, and has never left me stranded. If anyone knows why they do this, or what to tell my Honda mechanics to get it fixed, please let me know. Despite that and the less-than-promised mileage, I really like my hybrid.
    Thanks....that makes sense.
    I'll see if I can afford an 'O6 Civic Hyb. I told a friend of mine what happened w/ the dealerships (no surprise), and he said that he might want to buy my '04 hybrid for his family. That might be a better deal, but I'm not doing ANYTHING until the '06 babies come out.
  • skippy91skippy91 Member Posts: 5
    how do i disable the seat belt warning buzzer on the 2005 honda civic hybrid/manual trans? I wear the seat belts but am opposed to having a car reminding me. thanks.
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    You just have to decide if it is worth it to you to get what you want. I would wait on the new 06 models. As far as you trading, that is the nature of the business. Those dealers dont stay open without making money..you get wholesale trade in and they sell it for as near to retail as they can. $3k is about right on a $15k amount. I work with dealers and the overhead is astronomical these days. I have a 05 HCH cvt Civic and really like the smooth automatic transmission. I personally did not really like the stick shift, one reason being the motor would not shut off at a stop unless you put it in neutral. This caused some rolling backwards on a hill. I guess I could have learned to operate it the way it was designed, but passed on that.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    ???

If you wear your seatbelt, the car won't "remind" you!
  • balletraiballetrai Member Posts: 1
    Hey all....I just recently purchased my 2003 HCH, i've only been driving it a couple of weeks now. But just this morning as i was driving it on the freeway, the IMA light came on and stayed on. My question is what does that mean and should i be driving it? :confuse:

Thanks!
    It may correct itself, but if your IMA light continues to come on, can this mean that your engine's not cutting off as it should after battery's recharged at a stop? (Also, when you lift your foot from the brake, the IMA's supposed to get your engine going again.)
    Whether or not your car's still under warrantee, I'd check w/ the dealer. There aren't too many auto shops that have a lot of experience w/ hybrids (that will change, I'm sure, but for now I'd stick w/ Honda dealership).
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    There is something wrong with the electric portion of the drive system. Take it to a dealer when you can...
  • gruchygruchy Member Posts: 3
    I am averaging 39 mpg in my '05 civic manual transmition. does anyone know were I can get information on how to increase my milage? :D
  • lessgas1lessgas1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello MisterMe! I would be greatly appreciative if you could tell me the information in regards to the individual that had their HCH's CVT replaced. My HCH also has the trans slip problem. Sometimes, when you take your foot off the gas @ about 20-35 mph it feels like the trans downshifts quite abruptly. Also, when cruising at about 70-80 mph on the expressway it has a problem w/ hills. It isn't that the power isn't there, but that the engine continually revs (up and down, up and down...) when you're increasing the amount of pressure on the gas pedal to try and stay at a constant speed. This isn't always a problem. However, it does make me wonder if I should use my warranty to get a new CVT. Anyway, the info would certainly be appreciated greatly! Thanks!
  • lessgas1lessgas1 Member Posts: 3
    You simply have to make sure that you're driving w/ that horizontal gage between 40 and 80. Personally, I strive to keep it as close to 60 as possible. I also coast whenever I can, and never let the engine get above 2500 (3000 MAX) RPMs when I'm accelerating. Also, on hills... you must never gas the car too much. Let the car slow down a bit if you have to. The assist will help a bit... saving on gas. It is all about strategy! I know that this sounds like it is SLOW... and it is true that during acceleration you're not exactly feeling g forces or anything... however I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting 55 mpg. I cannot describe the feeling w/ words, however I can tell you that driving properly, inflating the tire air pressure to the Max (per specs) and using premium gas will DEFINITELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Do it. Drive it how I told you to... and you WILL notice a difference!
  • gruchygruchy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I was wonder should I accelerate quickley, or slowly and letting the car bring you up a hill is good advise, I did not think of low rpms, i'll give it a try, and higher octane then 87 gas...ok I'll give it a try, thanks
    " i'll give it a try, and higher octane then 87 gas...ok I'll give it a try, thanks"

Better check the owners manual. I realize it is a different engine, but the ICE only Civic says to use only regular unleaded. It is not just a recommendation - the engine is designed for that grade, and may not last well if you continually use a higher grade. The Honda 3.5 engine will use different fuel grades and adjust timing to compensate, but I don't think the HCH engine is in that category.
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    Stevedebi has some wise advice, and you don't need to buy the expensive premium gas to get outstanding (+60) MPG.

Lessgas,
    Thanks for the reply but the info came from a member on a different website which I can not post.

If your CVT is slipping then perhaps you may need a fluid change.
    Mine was beginning to be a little jerky just before the 30K maintenance window.
    Fluid change fixed mine.
  • jenmike95jenmike95 Member Posts: 1
    We have a similar problem. The dealer just called, said the battery will be replaced but the replacement, labor, and towing charge isn't covered under warrantee. However, the new battery will be warrantied under its own [new] program. So, how hard do we push to get the original, 2003 battery replaced under warranty? Is it common for the smaller battery to go so quickly? Any references are welcome.
    Jennifer
    I heard from the dealer (Crown Honda at Southpoint, Durham, NC) that Civic hybrids run best on 87 octane gas, and 20W motor oil. He said that if you use 10W 30, your mileage can drop into the 30's in a heartbeat. ;) ">
  • leezerleezer Member Posts: 2
    hello fellow hybrid fans. here's my question: I took my hybrid in for the 20k service, and ever since, my manual transmission is ultra-stiff (like they put molasses into the transmission fluid line). took it to the dealer and they claim everything checks out and that "hybrids are just like that"... in other words, I'm imagining it. has anyone else had trouble with the hybrid manual transmission stiffening up?
    There is something wrong with the car. Take it back and insist they drain and replace the fluid. They might have put in the wrong kind, or too much or too little fluid.

I once had a service department put 8 quarts of oil into a 4 quart engine. Mistakes happen.

It's ABSOLUTELY NOT a case of "hybrids are like that" and that's a ridiculous thing for them to tell you.
    Help!
    My 2004 civic hybrid "stalled" immediately after rolling thru a busy intersection. The ignition light came on, and the engine and battery powered down. I turned everything off, restarted the ignition, nothing. I repeated that process, et voila....success.
    Has this ever happened to anyone, and what should I do?
    I will contact the dealer, too.
    :lemon:
  • arunsterarunster Member Posts: 1
    Love my 2003 used HCH--getting 44-46 mpg with long (>1200 mile trip) and local commuting combined.

I have one concern. When I apply my brake and the autostop feature kicks in, occassionaly I hear/feel a bumping/knocking sound--knock, knock, knock, silence. At first I thought it was brake related, but it doesn't happen when the autostop is off (e.g. if air con is on and econ is off). Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
  • likehybridlikehybrid Member Posts: 3
    My 03 HCH just had a successful 60K mile checkup but the Honda service people don't have a clue what might be causing a lurching action when I gently accelerate (under 2000rpm). Especially annoying when I touch the gas pedal partway through a turn or in commuter traffic when I need to move forward at 5-15 mph. Doesn't seem related to cold or heat, to how much gas. If I accelerate strongly, no lurch. I wonder if the fuel line is the problem, or if it might be a computer error. I searched this forum and only found one other 'lurch' but it was not related to giving gas to the car. The problem is getting more noticible.
  • leezerleezer Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I'd let you know that after a bit of hollering the dealer admitted something was wrong. It seems the cable that connects the gear shift to the transmission (?) was binding on something. They replaced the cable and now it works fine. Thanks for the advice.
  • hysandhysand Member Posts: 3
    I have begun to have the same exact problem that you describe at 52,000 miles on the same model '03 HCH. Please let me know if you find out what the problem is! I have been to the shop today and will go again tomorrow. Will let you know if I find an answer!
  • dteskadteska Member Posts: 12
    I am considering the purchase of a new '05 HCH, but have several reservations:

1. I've heard that the battery pack eventually loses its' effectiveness after 100,000 miles or so, and it would cost about $2,000 to replace it. Has anyone found this to be the case?

2. Because of the complexity of the hybrid drivetrain, does the dealer charge more for regular maintenance than a normal Civic LX?

3. I've read about the problems experienced with the CVT, and was wondering if Honda is extending the warranty to cover these problems.

Thanks for any feedback.

David
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I recently asked the guys in our shop how many battery packs they have replaced in hybrids. The answer - ZERO!

We have Insights coming in with over 100,000 miles without replacing any batteries.
    David,

A quick search on a VERY popular "cars for sale" website shows this:

Total of 45 Honda Civic Hybrids with more than 50,000 miles and less than 80,000 miles for sale nationwide on that site.

Asking Prices are from $12,989 to $18,999. Many are "Honda Certified."

I think that speaks well of the longevity.

The battery worry issue is overdone. Toyota just recently surpassed 340,000 Prius cars sold worldwide and up until a few months ago had NEVER replaced a battery. The total battery failure information is almost impossible to find, but we can be sure it is VERY VERY LOW. (in fact I just found a page which says as of September 2004 Toyota had ZERO battery failures reported, and the 1997 Japanese Prius went on sale in late 1996.)
  • dalwhinniedalwhinnie Member Posts: 1
    My hyrid is at 53K mile now and I have noticed the lurching when accelerating from stop. The dealer told me it was the start up clutch in the transmission that is failing. I was quoted $1600 to fix the problem. The service dept told me its not covered under warranty.

Did anyone in the forum get a similar diagnosis from the service dept? Isnt this covered under warranty?
    I also posted last week about the "lurching" problem when accelerating from a stop. I have the '03 Civic Hybrid automatic CVT and I am currently at 52K miles. I took a while, but they finally pulled the transmission code from the computer and it stated that my ERG valve was not working properly. Thankfully, this is covered under the emissions warranty, so I will only have to pay $75 for the labor. I hope this solves my problem for good. I would make sure you are at a Honda-specific shop and I would ask them to run the diagnostic codes while they have Honda techs on the phone. My service guy said that most places haven't been trained on this particular transmission yet, b/c they haven't had anything go wrong with them yet. I was the first case at my shop. If they can't at least run the codes for you, then I would find a different shop. Hope this helps!
    " Thankfully, this is covered under the emissions warranty, so I will only have to pay $75 for the labor"

Huh? If an item is covered by warranty, it should include parts and labor...
  • likehybridlikehybrid Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the information. I intend to take that to the dealer next week and will report back in case anyone else still has this problem. Much appreciated!
    From what I can tell (from the owner's manual and talking to service dept), the ERG valve is no longer covered after the 3yr/36,000 period. However, my guess is that Honda has issued a technical service bulletin about this problem and they are helping with costs. I'm not sure that there is a TSB out on this particular subject, although I did find a tsb issued in Jan '05. You have to pay to find out what the TSB is about, and that's not an add'l cost I'm willing to pay, if it's not about my particular issue. I hope that clarifies the 'warranty' issue, and thanks for asking b/c I was able to learn about TSBs in the process of my research. :-)
  • igandalf2igandalf2 Member Posts: 5
    I have an '04 CivicHybrid (55k) with the exact opposite issue. I get lurching, or stuttering when accelerating in high gear, at higher speeds. If I ease of the peddle it stops. It's very noticable, and can see the changes in RPMs on the tach. I've tried to re-create it for the Dealer, but I can't go fast enough long enough, since they're not near an Interstate. They had me disconnect the EGR valve to see if this would cause it to stop, but this made no difference. I've had this for about 15k so far.
  • igandalf2igandalf2 Member Posts: 5
    Also, my mpg's have fallen from 45 to 43.5. Not a lot, but clearly is not running as efficiently.
  • kstrandkstrand Member Posts: 3
    Interesting. I have the same problem, but at only 20,000 miles on the same model. Originally I and the shop thought it was the result of a tank of the bad ConocoPhilips gas that circulated on the west coast about a month ago. After the "three stage program": cleaning the injectors, cleaning injectors and flushing the fuel lines, and finally replacing the injectors, the problem persists. They even thought that it might be a problem with the CV transmission and flushed it three times and replaced it with fresh fluid. Yet the problem persists. It occurs as others have described it, at low speed and RPM (about 5-10MPH and 1500-1700RPM) with slight throttle pressure and is a "lurching" sensation. By shifting to "2" and increasing RPM it goes away, or by simply accelerating it also goes away. Also notice that when the engine is not warm the problem is not there. The dealership is as frustrated as I am, and will be more so when I take it in again. Are any of you common sufferers located on the west coast and by chance pumped in a tank or two of ConocoPhilips gas (also sold at 76 stations)?
This discussion has been closed.