Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kstrandkstrand Member Posts: 3
    Our 03 was the same. At around 2000 miles you should see improvement, perhaps due to engine breakin (and/or better driving habits). I should point out that at 20,000 miles I can get around 55 MPG (at 65-70 MPH) on the flatter highway trips, however when my daughter drives around town it seems to average about 38 MPG, so terrain and "heavy foot syndrome" all contribute to the overall fuel economy.
  • hipfliphipflip Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 civiv hybrid with mostly hwy miles- and I'm at 105 miles on the car. I complained of the "lurching" prob coming from a stop and have now been told I need a new transmission. The problem: the cost of the transmission 6,000.00- yup 6 grand for the part alone and another grand- yup- one thousdand dollars for labor. Is this right or am I getting ripped off?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum. $7000 is a big hit on a vehicle that is not worth much more than that in trade. I am assuming you have 105,000 miles on this car. Until hybrids become more popular the dealers will have you by the throat after the warranty is up. If you are in CA you may be able to get the State Attorney General to look at the case from an emissions standpoint. I doubt you have much recourse other than bite the bullet and take a big loss. You are not alone getting big bills to repair out of warranty hybrids. Take it to another Honda dealer and try to get a quick trade.
  • grandpaarizonagrandpaarizona Member Posts: 1
    You should have your service tech check the EGR valve. Many of us who have had "Bucking Civic Hybrids" have had it replaced and it stopped the bucking at low speed acceleration. I had it done on my 03 hybrid and it cured the problem. I would have thought they would have this in a technical bulletin by now
  • sachybridsachybrid Member Posts: 1
    As I was driving down the highway this weekend, I apparently ran over something with my rear tire and not only blew out my tire, but punctured the alloy rim. The dealership told me that a new rim would cost about $400. I have looked all over the net for Civic Hybrid rims, but have found nothing. Does anyone know where I can find a Civic Hybrid rim for less than $400? I'm looking for a legitimate dealer, not 'my cousin Fred knows some guy...'. Thanks for your help!
    Your comprehensive insurance should cover that. Depending on your deductible. I know my deductible is $120. That is better than $400 plus the tire.
  • dons2dons2 Member Posts: 1
    MY SON GAVE ME A CALL ABOUT HIS 2000 HONDA CIVIC THAT DIED ON HIM WHILE GOING DOWN THE INTERSTATE. HE FOUND THAT THE 40 AMP IGNITION FUSE WAS BLOWN. HE REPLACED IT TWICE AND BLEW TWO MORE FUSES BLEW BEFORE HE COULD GET THE KEY TO THE START POSITION. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN. IF YOU COULD HELP I WOULD SURE BE THANKFUL.
  • greenhondagreenhonda Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Honda Civic is having a problem with the A/C. It seems to run fine at times (compressor cycling and cold air blowing), but at other times the A/C compressor clutch does not engage at all. I originally thought it was low on R134A and that the low pressure switch was preventing compressor engagement. However, I bought a recharge kit with a pressure gauge and the gauge states that the charge is fine.

Has anyone else had this sporadic problem?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Greenhonda, please see this link for where to look for your answer: :D

pf_flyer, "Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions" #166, 28 Jun 2005 7:08 am
  • hybrid_brihybrid_bri Member Posts: 15
    My wife and I have driven three different HCH's from two dealership in the last few days. I think the car looks and drives great. My only concern is with the front seats. The side bolsters seem too tight against my ribs. Now I am an average sized person, 5' 10" and 190 pounds. I have spoken to several people about this seat issue, one of them suggests that within the first 5-6 thousand miles the seat foam will stretch and the problem will go away. The tight seat pressing on my rib cage is the only point holding me back from signing the deal. I have had thoughts of bringing the car to an automotive seat repair store to have them remove the seat fabric and shave a 1\2 inch of foam away from both sides of the seat so I don't feel like I'm driving a fuel efficient corset. After reading many of the owner messages posted here I have not seen one similar comment about the seat. I would like to hear some opinions and solutions from those who currently own a HCH.
  • polymorphapolymorpha Member Posts: 16
    larsb,
    Toyota may well have reported zero battery failures in its Prius's, but I would not believe it. I ran into a Prius owner at a campground in northern New England in the summer of 2003 and was asking him about his vehicle. It was one of the earlier model years, but I forget which. He said his battery pack failed during the warranty period and was replaced without charge by Toyota. It may be a rarity, but there are at least some failures.

polymorpha
    Those Prius batteries are "modular" meaning individual battery modules can be replaced as required. There are other components involved too that the consumer might classify as "the battery." The control units and such, some of which might be attached to the main battery unit.

Replacing an "entire battery" is an extremely rare event. That would mean NOT that the individual battery modules have failed and CERTAINLY NOT that ALL of them had failed, but that at least one other component which is physically attached to the main battery unit has failed.

It's like when "any other battery powered device" fails - do you throw away your flashlight, or do you just replace the batteries? Cell phones? Batteries in the Prius are similar to that - modular.

It's not like it's "one big battery" and when that "fails" it gets replaced. :D
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It's like when "any other battery powered device" fails - do you throw away your flashlight, or do you just replace the batteries? Cell phones? Batteries in the Prius are similar to that - modular."

Follow your analogy to the logicial end. When you replace any battery pack (like two or four AAA in a remote), the instructions say to replace all batteries. The Prius pack is modular because that is how the batteries are produced. I very much doubt that Toyota would recommend replacing individual modules, even assuming one could figure out which battery modules are bad. I think that the battery modules run in series, which tends to hide specific module failure.
    The diff here is this:

One or Five "dead individual modules" in a Prius battery chassis is not likely to lead to a "declared failed battery" situation, because that situation is not likely to occur ( multiple individual modules failing, I mean.) These modules are rated for 200K miles !!

I have seen the number of modules that are in there, and there are a lot of them.

I'd bet the house that almost ALL of the Prius battery chassis replacements (all 5 or 10 of them out of 300,000 Priuses sold worldwide since 1997) have NOT BEEN because of "battery components" dying but another piece of the system that has needed replacement and they had to pull the battery chassis because of it....

We can never know that for sure, so it's pure speculation, but it's LOGICAL and EDUCATED speculation at least !!! ;)
  • likehybridlikehybrid Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who helped - I posted the problem and it is the ERG valve. I'm over warranty but got Honda to fix it for free (otherwise about $475). Alerted national Customer Service that a lot of postings showed trend in cars around 50K miles - I think they may deal with this globally. My dealer's service department seemed prepped for it. No more lurching. I'll see if my mileage goes back up (fell from around 45mpg to 42 mpg around same time).
    One or Five "dead individual modules" in a Prius battery chassis is not likely to lead to a "declared failed battery" situation

Others have mentioned this exchanging individual cells in the battery. It would not be difficult to do that. However my experience with all types of batteries is that when one cell fails the others are soon to follow. If Toyota is changing just failed cells they are setting the car owner up for a big fall after the warranty is over. ALL types of battery cells deteriorate with age and use. If it was my hybrid and I had access to the battery, I would make some distinguishing mark on each cell. I would not trust Toyota, Honda or GM dealers to rebuild a failing battery string.
    quote gagrice-"ALL types of battery cells deteriorate with age and use." -end quote

Yes, that is true. But there have NEVER been any reports of Prius battery replacements due to "battery old age" as far as I have read, and you know I have read a lot of data.

Any "hearsay" replacements of batteries I have heard about were not due to old age but to Toyota deciding to replace the module or the entire unit because of other types of problems.

Even that Canadian cab chap had no Old Battery issues after 160,000 miles.... :D
    Like was mentioned, Toyota, Honda or none of the other manufacturers are going to give out information on what has failed in any car. They only do it when forced by a recall or outcry from owners. You keep mentioning old age. Most of the batteries in Prius are less than 2 years old. They did not sell very well until the Prius II came on the scene less than 2 years ago. None of the Prius in the US have reached the 8 year warranty. Though a few are past the 100k mark.

Speaking of Civic Hybrids. How would you know in your car if the battery was deteriorating?
    In the HCH, it would be indicated by the battery not charging fast enough or full enough based on past experience of knowing how fast and full the battery charges under normal circumstances. Driver/Owner experience. For example, I know that under normal circumstances, the battery will fully charge at highway speeds within 5-7 miles.

It would only be logical to assume also that the Honda Techies at the dealerships would have a way to test the battery charge capability.

Remember - there have been 300,000 Prius cars sold worldwide in the last 8 years. Batteries ARE deteriorating, and we have not heard hue and cry of upset owners. So I think all the "sky is falling" paranoia about the battery being a big issue is just that - PARANOIA....... :D
    sold worldwide in the last 8 years.

We do not have ANY data on those early Prius sold in Japan. The Prius has been in this country less than 5 years. Only a handful were sold prior to the 2004 MY. If the batteries were replaced under warranty on one would scream. It is the stuff that is not covered under warranty that we hear about. And being stranded on the highway when the car stalls. I don't think the battery is a big issue in CA where it has 10 years and 150k miles. That is a fair warranty. I would like to get a 10 year comprehensive warranty on my hybrid GMC. All they offer is 6 years.
    Gary in today's world of instant worldwide communication, you would be remiss to not think that if the 1997-2000 Japanese Prius cars were having "old age" battery failures left and right that the USA Prius owners would not have gotten wind of it !! :D

There is NO questioning the fact that had that been happening WE would know about it. There are Prius groups around the World on the web who frequent the Japanese Prius forums and keep up with any and all news.

The old age thing is NOT happening - I personally would know about it with all the Prius stuff I have read and so would you..... :shades:

Just because Japan does not have a Consumer Reports company which you can disregard does not mean that this data would not have made the news... :D
  • kstrandkstrand Member Posts: 3
    My dealership found the solution to be the same. Replace the EGR valve. After injector, transmission, they tested the EGR (primarily because of the postings here that I took with me) and found it out of spec. The low speed lurch has gone...finally! Yeh, so where is the technical bulletin? Would save everyone alot of time and money.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....I had to check the title to make sure I was in Honda Civic Hybrid: P&S. It you want to discuss Prius issues, please do so in the appropriate topic.
  • youpiyoupi Member Posts: 1
    Since 107,000 km I am having dealer do an oil consumption. I check the dipstick and there is no indication on stick to what is the oil level. Most times when there is no indication it means that there is no oil. Eg. 2000 km used approx. 1.5 litres of oil. Is this common with Honda Civics? The year of the car is 2000.

Mike
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I have an 05 HCH and am 5 10 1/2, and 212 lbs. The seat fits perfectly. I do not slide back and forth from side to side like other cars (non Honda). I do delaer transfers and drive many different new cars and none are better that the Honda seats.
  • markdelmarkdel Member Posts: 56
    I am a HCH owner (2005 CVT) and I love the feel of the seat holding me in place. I have a back problem and in a regular seat I find it most uncomfortable. In the HCH I can drive 300 miles at a time and not hurt nearly as bad. :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Sorry, I accidentally said "Toyota" replacing batteries, and off they went. FWIW, I meant "Honda" replacing batteries.. :surprise:
  • magnusnirellmagnusnirell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Hybrid and my transmission has been acting up lately. I have 2 problems:
    1. The car "lurches" (jumps forward with high RPM) sometimes when I'm acceleration from standing still.

2. The transmission all of a sudden automatically downshift to the lowest gear possible with REALLY bad consequences. This has not yet happened on the freeway thank god, but if it did, I guess the transmission will come flying out of the car.

Anyone else having these issues? :lemon:
    Time for a trip to the dealer to get that fixed under warranty........ :D
  • magnusnirellmagnusnirell Member Posts: 2
    I did bring it in but they said that they never heard of such problems. They were going to test drive it today, but they said that if it doesn't happen while they drive it they can't do anything. Didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I was hoping to get some help through this list to "help" the Honda service station I'm using.
  • ldtldt Member Posts: 1
    My father purchased a HCH last march and for the first few months it ran perfectly. However about three months ago I was driving the car, pulled to the side of the road to drop someone off and when I pulled back on to the street I no longer had control of the breaks. I was on a hill and thankfully the steering was still working and i was able to stop the car using the ebrake. After turning the power to the car off and on again everything worked fine and there were no further problems until this morning while my father was driving the car the breaks cut out again. My Honda dealership does not seem to think this is a serious problem and suggested I make an appointment to bring the car in on monday but I am concerned about having anyone drive this car. Does anyone know what could have caused these break failures? Also do you believe the car is safe to drive?
    Thanks
    That sounds dangerous to me. There are two injury accidents reported due to faulty brakes on the 2005 Civic. I would drop the car off at the dealer and tell them fix or give your money back. Brakes are too important to be failing. Also you should file a complaint with the NHTSA, link below.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

PS
    document all your visits to the dealer.
  • licivicguylicivicguy Member Posts: 1
    i am having the exact same problem with my 2001 civic. i have about 80,000 miles and the a/c started acting up last summer. this summer started out fine, but now the a/c compressor will not come on at all. when it did come on, the air was ice cold. it must be a relay of some sort, i just dont want to dump a ton of money into fixing the problem.
  • nanodelle2nanodelle2 Member Posts: 9
    So, the (service dept) at the Honda dealership told you that brake-failing is NOT a serious problem? Whoever told you that has no business dealing with cars and driver safety, and should be reprimanded, if not, fired.
    I agree with what "Gagrice" told you: go back to that dealer and get the issue solved (and write everything down; if you don't write it down "it didn't happen"). If this dealership is not competent, see if there's another Honda dealer in your area. You don't want those brakes failing on you or your dad. Good luck with everything, and remember: don't take "Geez, sorry, but :shades: :shades: we can't fix it" for an answer.
    P.S. You might wanna file a complaint against that dealership thru your state atty. gen's office.
  • motherwearymotherweary Member Posts: 38
    Finding this forum has been a godsend -- I thought I was the only HCH driver out there with Shaken Driver Syndrome. When I took the car into my local dealership (Petaluma CA), they said "we can't make it do that, it didn't do that, they all do that" and charged me $93.00. I now have an appointment with the dealership in Oakland, where they presumably have more experience with hybrids, and have printed out this discussion to wave at them. Thanks for the info and the ammo.
  • leannleann Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Hybrid and a few days ago I noticed the battery charge gauge was only at about half when driving around town. I thought it odd, but a fluke... maybe I hadn't been watching the way I was driving etc. Normally it runs more like 80-90% around town and I get 44 MPG. Then I started noticing the MPG's dropping. and paid more attention to the charge meter and it was definitely not charging fully... ever. Took it in to the dealer and they charged me $45 and said they could get a full charge driving about 7 miles without AC so everything is fine and it's just because I'm using the AC. I've been driving the car for 3 years and know what's normal. I still have the problem and have also occasionally had the transmission lurch problem other people have described. I'm about to leave on a trip and KNOW it's not acting normal but don't know if it's going to strand me. Seems to run fine otherwise. It normally never goes under 1/2 unless I'm pulling a big hill and is now always at or below 1/2 and losing 10-12 MPG. I'm taking off to drive 700 mi on freeways in the heat. I'm pretty frustrated that the dealer is trying to tell me it's normal... like I have no idea how the car works. Mostly worried about being stranded since I don't know what would happen if the charging system just flat out failed instead of acting funny. Maybe I should take the truck and forget about getting decent mileage? Anyone know what happens if the charging system fails? Do you just lose the IMA capability or does the car quit?
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    You need to get the Honda district rep to look at your car and talk with you. Sounds like a weak battery or charging problem. I have a 2005, but do wonder at what point they will say a battery is defective. I know that these digital camera and drill rechargeable batteries get weaker after several years and figure these car batteries will do the same. What we need to know is at what point is the battery defective!
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    Turn your headlights on for the next few trips and see if the SOC returns to normal.
  • polandpoland Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 57,000 miles. Recently, the car will not start on the first turn of the key. Saturday night, it took 4 attempts before the car started. The automatic door locks worked fine and the dash lights came on just like normal. The battery pack had sufficient charge.

The dealer told us that the car needed a new conventional battery. I thought the conventional battery was only a back-up and that the car is started by the battery pack.

Has anyone had this problem or have any knowledge of whether the dealer is being honest in telling me that the conventional battery starts the car?
  • polandpoland Member Posts: 2
    I need to clarify my prior message. The dealer informed me that the conventional batter does not start the car but runs several systems necessary for the car to operate, such as the fuel injection and computer. He also informed me that the batteries normally last a little more that three years.
  • wvhybridwvhybrid Member Posts: 1
    2003 HCH CVT with almost 50,000 and never a serious problem.

I just changed the oil in my car today, and the strangest thing happened.
    After I filled up the oil, I started the car, as usual, however this time it acted very odd.

First it would only run for about 4 seconds then it would shut off. :sick: This happened about 5 times. Finally, I started it and gave it some gas and it ran fine - but the "CHECK ENGINE" light (not the maintaince required light) came on and stayed on.

This was a routine oil change - something I have done numerous times on this car.
    What could possibly be the issue here?
    I found two pieces of info that may help you:

"When you change the oil and filter in the Civic, you MUST add fresh
    oil to the new filter before you screw it it. The pressure is too
    low if not and the engine will likely not start the first time. I
    found this out the hard way and ended up going back to the
    dealer thinking I had screwed something up. Since this wasn't
    documented in the owners manual (yes, I actually read it!) I was
    surpised when the svc manager told me "oh yeah, little known fact,
    you must add oil to the filter..."

So, don't forget next time. fortunately, it's not a messy process
    to replace the filter since it's oriented fairly perpendicular to
    the floor, meaning you don't have to install it at some awkward
    angle to where all the fresh oil will pour out.

Besides that, changing oil is a breeze. the tricky part is getting
    the car onto ramps since it's so low to the ground and finding a
    suitable place to attach my floor jack - I rotate tires at the same
    interval as my oil changes (every 5K miles for convenience of
    remembering)"

"Wow, you are a life saver. I decided to try my hand at changing my own
    Hybrid oil this weekend (now that my dealer no longer does them for
    free) and with everything in place I started my car and freaked out
    when I noticed the "check engine light" (Malfunction light).

I used the 0w20 from honda and I actually purchased a FRAM oil filter
    (probably should have purchased a honda oil filter instead?) Anyhow,
    everything looked great and I double and triple checked the oil level
    dip stick (halfway between low and high). So, when I turned on my car
    and it sorta lurched a bit, I was freaking out.

Here is my description of what happened after I finished my work and
    started the engine for the first time: The oil light blinked a few
    times and then went out and then the malfunction (check engine) light
    came on and wouldn't turn off. I freaked and turned off the car after
    that. Then I read in the manual a bit more and started to worry that I
    had damaged the engine permanently or something. All I could think
    was "not covered by warranty!".

Anyhow, all is well and I went ahead and pulled Fuse 6 - 15a - F1 ECU.
    The Malfunction light disappeared and the engine is running like a
    champ. I double checked the oil level a few more times (cause I was
    really worried) but all seems normal.

So, how many out there have had this same issue? If I had not known
    about this yahoo group (life saver), I would have brought my car to the
    Honda dealer and they would probably have told me that I did something
    wrong while changing the oil. If they were really dishonest they would
    have charged me to fix it because I "caused" the problem.

Thanks again to everyone. Keep posting those comments and keeping us
    informed (Honda doesn't seem to be doing very well at it)."
    I took my HCH to the Oakland dealership this morning, waved the print-out of this conversation at them, and said EGR valve many times. They just called to say that indeed the EGR valve is faulty, that they have ordered another one, and that they are researching whether this is covered by my extended warranty.

So, first, thanks to all you EGR pioneers out there. Second, does anyone have good advice on how to get Honda to cover the cost of this? The problem has been going on for more than a year and I do have a record at the Petaluma dealership to show that.
    Just a note: when I went to pick up the car yesterday afternoon, the service manager told me that fixing the EGR problem is entirely covered by my extended warranty, with a zero deductible, so the fix will cost me nothing. I didn't even have to glower. :)

I bought the car in October of 2002, if this is useful info for any of you having extended warranty issues in addition to EGR issues.

So here's a separate issue: has anybody figured out how to attach a satellite radio receiver (not the antenna, but the heavy little receiver gizmo) to the dashboard such that it doesn't fall off and doesn't get in the way?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    motherweary;

While I drive an Accord with OEM XM Radio, I added a SKYFi2 XM Radio receiver to my wife's vehicle. I mounted the SKYFi2's vehicle adapter kit to a gooseneck that I attached to the forward bolt of the left passenger seat track.

Here's a link to one brand:

http://search.ebay.com/SR088_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

If I end up with a 2006 Civic Hybrid, and it doesn't come with factory XM, I'll probably do the same installation.
  • grothybridgrothybrid Member Posts: 1
    You didn't say if yours is auotmatic or manual.
    I've had mine stall twice now, about a month apart. Both
    times I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd, going maybe 25-30mph.
    When I hit the gas to speed up nothing happened and I noticed
    the ignition light had come on. Both times I just kept letting
    the clutch out and the engine caught and I continued. Neither
    instance was scary but not what I'd like in a car either. I haven't
    had time to touch base with the dealer about it.
    Mine's a 2005.
  • markdelmarkdel Member Posts: 56
    You can get a mounting "Stalk" that bolts to the passengers front seat mount. It is about 12 to 18 inches tall an has a universal swivil mount at the top. I found mine on ebay, searching under XM radio accessories. :blush:
    My thanks to you and to markdel, too. I've ordered the gooseneck (which I think must be the "stalk" that markdel talks about) and hope to have it shortly.
  • heinztheinzt Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I bought a 2004 Honda Hybrid and she recently had a lurch right in to a 7/11 store here in Southern CA. She was hurt but not badly. The store window went down but nobody was near where the car charged in to. Honda is not answering the phones, we are waiting to hear what they have to say about this. We do have all of it on a tape the store owner had on the outside area and the sound of the car roaring into the store. My wife did NOT have her foot on the gas, there are brake marks where she tried to brake. She had no more control of the car and it's awful for her. She doesn't want the car anymore. If anyone has any ideas as to what we can do about this, we would really like to hear from you. Honda is not being very friendly about the whole thing. The insuance company is going to pay to get the car fixed when it's really Honda's problem. I think we all need to get together and get a class action suite against the company. Thanks, Heinz
This discussion has been closed.