Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• awaretekawaretek Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses. Concerning very short, trips, I understand that [non-permissible content removed] will really hurt mileage. I commute maybe 5 minutes each morning and evening in CT. But, my next question is, will such daily ultra-short commutes be bad for the long term reliability of the Honda Civic Hybrid? Even in winter, I doubt I will be willing to start car and wait while it warms up, in other words, it will be parked in a garage and I will just start it up and go, even in winter. I don’t mind that hurts mileage, but is it bad for the car?

I also drive extensively on weekends, and occasionally on long (200-300) mile business trips.

My option , I think, is a Honda Civic non-hybrid. Does it have the same transmission as a hybrid, or a more conventional one?

Ron
  • ny_cajunny_cajun Member Posts: 4
    In a previous post on a different discussion thread I mentioned that I was getting 44.7 mpg average on my 06 HCH with only 1200 miles on the vehicle. I bought the vehicle about 5 weeks ago in upstate NY area, (Albany / Saratoga region). Even in the cold weather the vehicle is averaging 44.7 mpg (18 miles one way to work, mostly rural)and the vehicle is still somewhat in the break in period. I do think driving in the cold weather may affect your mpg somewhat, but WILL NOT hurt the overall mechanical condition of the vehicle. The IMA portion may be affected by the engine NOT shutting down at stops, but this only slightly reduces the overall MPG of the vehicle. The 06 HCH DOES NOT have a coventional tranny. Honda calls it a CVT (continueous variable transmission) with IMA (intermittent motor assist) where as the non-hybrid Civics are advertised as having either a manual or automatic (link below). I believe the jury is still out regarding the CVT tranny. I am not quite sure if it is a proven performer just yet. Overall, you simply cannot go wrong with the Honda Civic Hybrid. If putting your money in a vehicle is more important than giving your money to the gas stations then a hybrid is for you. This way at least you have something to show for your money. Also, short trips should not be a problem with regard to wear and tear on the vehicle. If anything, it may only affect your mpg (mostly in the winter due to the cold, and how the IMA performs in the cold, especially the auto stop feature of the engine). Even though Honda states that the 06 HCH gets 50mpg city, and 49mpg hwy, I have read some post that suggest otherwise and that the city MPG is not as good as Honda says it is, and is not better than HWY MPG.

I also park my 06 HCH in the garage and that helps some.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/civic/100660627/researchlanding.html

">link title
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Heh.. born in Troy and grew up in Scotia/Schenectady. Cold now aye? Snowing sideways yet?

If putting your money in a vehicle is more important than giving your money to the gas stations then a hybrid is for you

Seconded.

To the original poster the short trips in a conventional ICE Civic will have the same effect as the HCH because hybrids are essentially ICE vehicles. Where you will save is in the longer trips you make. In your daily commute you will suffer with either vehicle.
  • pungohybridpungohybrid Member Posts: 2
    Just took delivery of 2006 Civic Hybrid today. I start my commute next week 60 miles round trip. I will let everyone know in a week or so how the MPG turn out. Very happy person tonight. I get to park my Grand Cherokee in the driveway and put some gas dollars back in my pocket and get a tax break to boot.
  • jonallenjonallen Member Posts: 30
    Jack rabbit takeoffs, heaving stops, excessive speeds are all favorite American passtimes. If you are concerned enough to buy a hybrid, take it a little further: drive gently. It can add up to 15% to the efficiency of a hybrid, even more on a regular car, and there's a bonus: fewer fender-benders and fatalities.
  • brentbridgebrentbridge Member Posts: 11
    I was looking back at my records yesterday, and I had forgotten, but I ALREADY had to replace the catalytic converter once in this car at 80,000 miles. Now it has gone out again at 140,000? This stinks. I'm really getting tired of throwing money at this stupid car. Between the transmission, catalytic converter, and battery pack, I'm starting to think :lemon:.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Coupla questions:

1. When you fill up the car, do you stop at the first click?

2. Did you buy the extended warranty?

Comments:

Catalytic converters fail in ANY kind of car. That's not a "hybrid" issue. CVT transmissions also fail in all cars, and they are used in other cars besides Hybrids.

If you've gotten 140,000 miles out of the car, that automagically eliminates it as a "lemon" because no :lemon: would make it to 140,000 miles.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    eliminates it as a "lemon" because no would make it to 140,000 miles.

I think you missed his point. He has had trouble starting around 80k miles. He is not the only one with CVT problems. It is not a great transmission. Many catalytic convertors go bad with non CARB gas. It has a very high sulfur content. The key is how much they cost to replace. The Prius Catalytic Convertor is over $2000 to replace. Not sure what the gouge is on the HCH. By comparison the Catalytic Convertor for a Camry is about $200.
  • karenh1karenh1 Member Posts: 1
    YES! I started hearing a change in the sound of the car at about 30,000 miles, but when the mechanic rode with me neither of us could hear it. The sound continued to become more prominent until they flushed the transmission fluid three times and checked for metal pieces. They found them - the transmission was indeed failing. Now the extended warranty company wants to replace it with an aftermarket rebuilt transmission, but I think that they should put in a new one. I certainly expect a Honda to last more than 60,000 miles!

How do I get a new transmission instead of re manufactured? I am especially furious that I have been lied to by people at both the warranty company and Honda corporation. (They both told me initially that Honda re manufactured transmissions had completely new insides - that only the outside case was re used.)

I like my Civic Hybrid in every other regard, but I am loosing the critical sense of trust.

Any suggestions?
  • angveaangvea Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new hybrid owner. Actually, I'm a new Honda owner as well. I recently gave up my Chevy Impala LS of six years that I loved to buy a hybrid. I've been averaging about 40-45mpg but this last tank full seems to be going faster than usual. In this post you asked:
    1. When you fill up the car, do you stop at the first click?
    What is the significance of this question? Should I stop at the first click or keep going?

I drive about 75 miles a day, mostly in rural areas with a few stop lights and slow downs on my 33 mile commute to work (one way). Getting used to the tranny has been interesting. It almost feels like a standard tranny when it starts from a stop or goes from Park to drive. Kind of like it "free wheels" for the lack of a better term. I've also noticed it seems to "lurch" when "down shifting" when coming to a stop (usually when the engine is cold). Anyone else notice anything like this?

Since I've never driven a Honda before, I don't know what is normal or what should be looked at.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Happy Honda Hybrid owner so far at approx 1200 miles.
    :)
  • davem7davem7 Member Posts: 35
    As the owner of a 2006 HCH i'm averaging 49MPG combined at just under 9000 miles. I'm not knowledgeable on transmission issues and i'm not certain of the significance of the question "Do you stop at the first click" in the context of the post but i'll give you my take on it.

The only certain way to determine the exact gas mileage is to fill the tank to the same exact level on each fill up. At most pumps after the automatic shutoff first activates it is possible to squeeze another 1-2 gallons into the tank.

The method I often use is to fill the pipe literally to the brim is time consuming and tedious especially when its cold outside but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing my mpg computations are accurate.

If you fill the tank with 10 gallons on a 500 mile trip that will come to 50mpg. But if you squeeze in another l/2 gallon it will compute to 47.6 mpg, if you squeze in 11 gallons it will be 45.4. This assumes the tank was filled to the exact same level on the previous fill up.

The main point is filling the tank to the same exact level on each fill up, if you can establish a correlation between the pump shut off and the "capping" level that would be ideal but it would be difficult to do.
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    Well I'm making some progress on my transmission problem. At least the dealer has heard the noise now and felt the weird performance. Problem is they don't know what to do about it.

It still runs but it makes the wierd noise and is jerky. I'm afraid it wil fail while I'm on the road.

For those with the same problem, whats the status of your CVT situation?
  • denhchdenhch Member Posts: 8
    I had the same question about how to tell when your 06 HCH
    is in "golfcart mode". It does it but its subtle. First
    the MPG pegs and stays there, the assist gauge will show
    assisting intermittently no charging at all in this mode.
    Its not a very powerful electric motor, you have to be going slightly down hill or level and forget about
    accelerating, the ice kicks in as soon as you breathe
    on the gas pedal. Honda says it only works up to 35 MPH
    but I've had it do it at over 50.
    With the radio off and you pay extreme attention you will actually sense a slight "kick" as the ice starts and stops, like I said its very subtle. This car really needs more bells and whistles like the Prius has.
    P.S. its does work better with cruise control on.
  • skp04skp04 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having the same problem. The dealer suggested taking the headrest out and inserting it backward, which relieves the stress on my neck/head but completely negates it as a safety function. Don't want to go that far (yet).

Do you know what the part # was for the 06 Accord head restraint? There are several options out there depending on the accord trim level (ie. EX, LX).
  • pojamanpojaman Member Posts: 25
    Hi
    I have noticed it too, I have driven the car a couple days since I bought it and it does lurch when coming to a stop .I'm not sure what it is yet,it feels like the motor assist is just about to kick in to help the engine. I'm sure someone has the answer to this.I will find out. I do have an Impala that I am passing to my son in college.
    See you later :)
    Chris
  • love2scubalove2scuba Member Posts: 34
    Well if it makes you feel a little better, mine does the same thing. I just make sure I have the break on a little more when coming to a stop when the engine is cold. I also have a 400h and it will do it as well, but not quite as much. I'm only at 700 miles so it's still breaking in. Hopefully it will stop with time, if not, I'll have it checked at it's first oil change...along with my MPG readout that does not work (resets every 62 miles).
    My 06 HCH lurch's too when coming to a stop, so it seems they all do it and not just your car. I'd love to know
    exactly what it is. I traded in an 05 HCH which didn't do it so its new to the 06 model. Other then that I really
    do like the CVT. It feels like it maximizes the torque at
    any speed without too high RPM's.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I wouldn't recommend trying to defeat the safety measures designed into your vehicle's head restraint system to save the lives of you and your front seat passengers. Here's a recent news release that points that out, albeit with other brands and models:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news/2006/pr010806.html

I would reconsider getting more used to my vehicle before risking preventable damage to my spinal column.
  • jjm22jjm22 Member Posts: 3
    Hi

My 2006 HCH with 265 miles on the odometer does the same lurch at the tail end of a stop. I noticed it coincides with the charging generator's reduction in power generation. When the bars go from 6 to 4 to 1 to none - the car seems to lurch forward.

My theory is that when the generator no longer provides resistance at the tail end of a stop and the brakes are left to their own power the car no longer decelerates as quickly and so it feels as though the car lurches forward.

Just a theory.

Jon
  • pungohybridpungohybrid Member Posts: 2
    My commute in my new 06 HCH this week turned into a trip away from home for work. Yesterday I made a 210 mile trip from Virginia Beach to Southern Maryland traveling rual Rt 17. I filled the tank before leaving home and the trip mpg computer said 50.7 mpg when I arrived last night. I was driving 60 to 65 mph all the way. After driving around town today for short trips the mpg has dropped to 37 mpg. I would think that with most of this tank highway miles the mpg would have not dropped so much. That concerns me. I will return home tomorrow and will fill up once I get back into Virginia where gas is much cheaper and report the actual mpg tomorrow night.
    I enjoyed the trip up yesterday. This car has comfortable seats and is very quite inside. I recall reading somewhere that the road noise from the interior was an issue. I guess after driving Jeep GC and F150s for the past 7 years this car is quite to me.
    I have noticed the IMA gage can be in the assist mode as late as 50 mph during slow acceleration before it cuts out completely. I have decided one thing after my trip yesterday I will not watch the IMA and MPG gages as I did on my trip yesterday. That will make your brain hurt watching all the information.
    So far I feel this is a great car and enjoy driving it. Sorry for any spelling errors.

Rather be in Pungo
    Patrick
    Wow! I think your theory is right for a couple of reasons.
    First the 06 HCH captures alot more regen braking then the 05 meaning more resistance, and the more I think about it
    its not like a boost from the electric motor but more
    like the cars suddenly not being held back as hard
    like suddenly less brake pedal pressure.
    If you are right why don't they keep the regen active
    until the car is stopped?
    OK, a new strange development. The surging problem had been diminishing, until it was pretty much gone just before Christmas. However, I had started to detect a bit of the old "rumble" upon takeoff in the last week or so. This was what was happening right before I had the transmission replaced the last time, although it was much more pronounced then. So, I had the transmission fluid changed at the dealer two days ago, and although the rumble seems to be gone, it started doing the surge thing as soon as I got it out on the highway that night. And it seems to do it at lower speeds now too, anywhere above 50 MPH, where it used to happen only above about 60 MPH.

Here is a little timeline of my "fun" with this car:
    36,000 miles - Surging problem rears it's ugly head. Seems to eventually decrease and go away.
    79,820 miles - Catalytic converter replaced (no charge)
    80,540 miles - Started to detect 'rumble' and reported it
    91,949 miles - 'Rumble' much heavier, reported it. Needed new transmission. Put it on order.
    92,925 miles - Transmission replaced (paid $490 labor)
    112,194 miles- Transmission fluid changed
    130,366 miles- Transmission fluid changed
    135,838 miles- Surging returned. EGR valve changed ($380). No change in surging. Surging gradually decreases and goes away around 140,000 miles.
    139,000 miles- IMA light comes on. Honda says the battery is dying and needs to be replaced. Still charging and operating fine. Light goes off and eventually comes back on and then goes back off. Currently is off.
    140,000 miles- 'Maintenance Required' Idiot light comes on. Diagnosed as catalytic converter needs replacement for $900 + labor. Holding off.
    146,964 miles- Slight 'rumble' on takeoff. Transmission fluid changed. Surging returns immediately!!!

I have serious doubts whether this CVT transmission is durable enough for constant interstate driving. I have a 70 mile commute, 60 miles of which is driving at 65-80 mph.

Regarding filling the tank. I usually round up to the nearest 25 cents.

I bought the 75,000 mile extended warranty.
    Guys,
    The Regen (as you call it) is simply the engagement of the motor at as high a gear ratio as can be used to safely slow the vehicle while generating current to charge the battery. Since the engine and motor are differentially coupled to the CVT so that who ever spins faster couples through, as the rear axle slows to a stop, there has to be a disengagement, or the engine will be brought to a standstill by the bakes.
    I agree if there was a "solid" transmission-engine-
    motor coupling it would stop the engine when you
    came to a complete stop. I really don't fully
    understand how it works when regen braking.
    The thing is all the 2006's lurch and my 05 HCH never
    lurched once, what's the difference?
    Interesting new development in the catalytic converter situation. I was looking for info on the Hybrid and its CC and was reminded about the ECM update letter we got in 2005 that read:
    The engine control module (ECM) software in certain 2003-05 Civic Hybrids is improperly programmed, making the engine run slightly lean. Eventually, this can cause the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the instrument panel to come on and lead to failure of an important part
    of the vehicle's emission system, the catalytic converter. Also the ECM could misinterpret normal oil pressure rise during the first engine start after an oil change.

Additionally, we will update your IMA battery management system to meet the current specifications

Since I've already had one CC fail (June of '04), this seems like a very likely culprit in my book. This sounds like it's Honda's problem. I've e-mailed my service manager with this tidbit.
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    I don't know what the part number was. I think the restraints on the different accords are the same with the exception of the color and fabric. It's probably just a matter of matching your interior color as closely as possible. You also have to specify the side (driver or passanger). I have the grey interior and therefore got the grey headrest.

I would NOT turn the headrest around. Remember they are angled forward and designed to move forward in the case of an accident. What would happen in this case. The headrest would be angled away from your head and it could possibly move backward further in the event of an accident.

Just as a note, the accord headrest is collecting dust in my closet. I got used to the Civic headrests. I suggest trying your best to do the same. It really is the safest option and best looking :) The accord swap would be the next best thing probably.

Best,
    Marc
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    If you are in the NYC area, you can feel free to post an email. I would be happy to let you try it out.

mcap
  • hchownerhchowner Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 HCH in November by December the hybrid engine light (IMA), battery light and the check engine indicators went on. The hybrid engine shuts down and will only work with the gas engine. The car has been at the dealership and they still don't know what is wrong. Anyone else experience similar or other problems with there 2006 HCH?
    I recently had an engine block heater installed on my 2006 HCH by a Honda dealer. My observations thus far: the maximum it will heat is to 4 bars as shown on the engine temp gauge, the auto stop engages sooner where without the heater it took an average of 2 l/2 miles in cold weather it now takes about 3/4 of a mile.

The heater did not come with any directions so I can't say how much electricity it consumes, I will try to obtain this info from Honda.

Hopefully it will improve gas mileage slightly but at least I can say i'm making a contribution to cleaner air. I agree with a previous post that the writer didn't mind paying a little more to the electric company and less to the gasoline producer.
  • jjm22jjm22 Member Posts: 3
    Living in the land of meaningless Stop Signs placed every half mile or so (Connecticut) I found it a bit frustrating to come to a near stop (Originally from Boston) at every sign and have the engine turn itself off for about 2 seconds and then back on again.

Solution: By droppings the transmission down to 2 just before stopping causes the engine to stay on and thus eliminates the delay upon departure.

:)
    On reading the Prius forums, it seems tha tthe Prius is nearly unuseable in snow and ice conditons, largely becuase of the tires but in addtion the electric motor cuts off when the wheels slip.

Is the Civic hybrid any better? I understand the tires are a problem in slippery conditions?
    I am close to a buying decision, and I lean towards getting a Civic Hybrid. Reading these boards, I see that see that the CVT is not as robust, in terms of long lasting duty, as a normal transmission. Now, one normally hears more from the folks who have problems. I am glad to hear from more of you, but I also wonder, who (if anyone) has had good luck with the CVT? What's the longest lasting CVT we can hear from? Anyone over 100,000 miles? 150,000? Perhpas we could have an online contest ;-))

All replies *will* be greatly appreciated, so that I can make an informed decision, not the least about extended warranties.

Ron Stephens
  • greengenesgreengenes Member Posts: 1
    I just had this same problem yesterday with my '05 Civic Hybrid (the can't reverse up hill problem posted by sshybridgirl a while back)...I did a little test and it rolls if I'm headed up hill in drive OR down hill in reverse--it will roll all day until I either hit the brakes or punch the gas and get the car moving in the right direction. Did anyone ever find out why this is?
  • joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    The Prius being unusable in snow and ice conditions has nothing to do with the hybrid concept. Any car will be nearly unusable if you do not use proper winter tires.

The electric motor cutting off when the wheels slip is caused by the computer trying to keep as much grip on the road as possible, although on summer tires there is not much it can do.

I have driven the Prius in very icy conditions (glazed frost) a few weeks ago. I had to pick up my son, who was stuck in a train station some 100 km from where I live, because of the weather. I found the Prius extremely stable, in a sense even more stable than my Volvo XC/70. Both cars are on winter tires.

I don't know how the Honda would do in icy conditions, I have never driven one, but once again, the fact that it is a hybrid shouldn't make any difference.
    Well, joebeatt, I haven't had to change tires for the winter since the 60's. Most cars run just fine with one set of good all-season tires. I am not going to change tires every year. What I want to know is, how does the Honda Civic do with the ORIGINAL tires in winter conditions? Is it as bad as the Prius or not, is what I want to know.

Ron

From your tone, it sounds lke you think changing tires for winter is a common occurance. I would never even consider doing this. Do all Civic hybrid users in cold weather territory change tires for winter? If so, that's pretty awful. I was leaning towards a hybrid,help anyone?
  • joebeattjoebeatt Member Posts: 50
    Hi awaretek,

I think you have been quite lucky. Just read the following article:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/tires/

All-season tires are just a compromise, nothing more that that.

Changing tires twice a year is not such a big deal. If you buy summer tires and winter tires, each on their own set of rims, it will take you 2 x 20 minutes per year to change them. It won't cost you more. Two sets of tires will last twice as long as one set, so in total you spend the same amount of money. On the other hand, if once in your lifetime you get involved in an accident on slippery roads because of your all-season tires, you loose everything "gained" by not using proper tires.

Even if you insist on sticking to all-season tires only, then I still do not fully understand why you concentrate on the Prius or the Honda on their ORIGINAL tires. Nobody will force you to stick to these tires for the rest of your life. Just buy better ones. You could even ask for a deal where your new car would be delivered with proper tires.

I would just concentrate on the cars and there, as I said before, the hybrid concept has nothing to do with stability in winter conditions. I would even say that the Prius seems to be a little bit more stable than a "normal" car, maybe because the way CVT transfers the driving forces to the road? Or maybe the relative long wheel base? I don't know, but I would certainly not refrain from buying a hybrid because of the tires.
  • pojamanpojaman Member Posts: 25
    If your car is rear wheel drive studded snow tires are a good idea in the north east, I have them on my Crown Vic, on the Civic it's not needed, front wheel drive handle snow a lot better than rear wheel drive, of course to a point. In 5 inches of snow you need a four-wheel drive if you live in the hills.
    All weather tires a good enough on a front wheel driven car, and the Civic handles great in rain and snow. Some all weather tires are better than others, just do some searching online. Remember you loose comfort, fuel efficiency and quiet ride with knobby tires. I’m not changing the OEM (factory installed) tires that came with the Civic.
    Have a good safe ride.
    Hey, congrats on the engine block heater. That was me (I think) who said I'd rather pay the local Elec than Big oil, and I'm happy to see that the block heater is doing such a good job for you.

Questions:

1. What climate are you in? I.E., what have been your night-time temps lately?
    2. How long are you leaving it plugged in at night?

Comment:

You can buy a device that plugs into your wall outlet that will measure "killowatt hours used" of any devide plugged into it. I've seen them at Lowes/Home Depot locations and from that you can calculate how much the block heater is costing you for electricity. It's definitely saving you gas if the AutoStop is coming on earlier in your morning commutes.

Good luck and thanks for posting the info !!
  • hlozikhlozik Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, the CVT transmission on my 2004 Civic Hybrid had to be completely replaced at 13,000 miles. It was covered under warrantee, though. I don't regret my decision to purchase the car, I still love it and would recommend it as dependable with consistently excellent mileage.

jht
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    my 2004 Civic Hybrid had to be completely replaced at 13,000 miles.

First welcome to the Forum. How many miles do you have on the new CVT? There are owners that have had the CVT go out twice or more. Do you think the new CVT will last a long time?
  • badorbbadorb Member Posts: 1
    First time owner of a hybrid vehicle (06 civic) and I'm wondering what the battery behavior should act like. For example should the IMA battery be fully charged when new or will it fluctuate a lot from the get go. My vehicle has yet to reach a full charge and bounces around half charge to 3/4. Also, I noticed that the battery will read charging when I let off the gas pedal to coast. Is that normal? Any comments on battery behavior would be appreciated.
  • nikic80nikic80 Member Posts: 5
    My 06 HCH (Just got it last week) seems to be acting the same as you described.
  • nikic80nikic80 Member Posts: 5
    I drove mine on snow last week (less than an inch, but very slick) and I found that my 06 HCH performed beautifully. So far, since I have had it (a week of crazy Indiana January weather) I have averaged 43 MPG.
    My location is in the Buffalo-NY area, typical winter nighttime temps range between 15-35 degrees+F, the car is garaged.

So far I haven't left it on charge for more than 4 hours as I read somewhere that charging for a longer period won't make any difference, i'll probably get a timer.

It seems like if you plug the heater in while the engine is still warm from driving the dashboard temp gauge will show a max of 4 bars, if plugged in while cold a max of 2 bars. But it definitely results in the auto stop engaging sooner.

I checked at Lowe's and they weren't aware of any gauge showing "kw hours used". I'm still researching it but if you can come up with a manufacter's name i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks for the info. If you get 4 bars from 4 hours, I would try using it only two hours and see if you still get 4 bars.

Found this kwh measuring device by Googling "measure kwh"

http://www.hoytmeter.com/pluglogger/plug.html

Manage Your Usage

For commercial, industrial or residential devices that plug into a 110V outlet, nothing could be simpler for analyzing electrical usage than the PLUGloggertm. Not only does this instrument measure kWh, it also calculates the real cost, based on your utility rates. Eight additional functions put the right answers at your fingertips. It's a favorite of the utility industry where the PLUGlogger answers consumer's questions at the touch of a button!"
  • happyhybridhappyhybrid Member Posts: 4
    This is normal. The battery is used during acceleration and charged during coasting and stopping. It's rare that the battery will show fully charged, and even more rare (in my experience) that it will show very low; mine usually averages around 1/2 t0 3/4, though I've been able to get it up to full a couple times. One thing I've noticed is that the car seems to adjust its behavior to try to keep the battery charge from getting too low; a couple of times when I've had it down pretty low the car seems to engage the charge function even during acceleration.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)
    Thanks for the information, I found the device on some other web sites as well, they are in the $40.00 range.

I hope to have one within the week and i'll publish the kilowatt usage results.
  • nilesboynilesboy Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2006 Civic Hybrid on Jan 23,2006.
    I find that the drivers seat bottom makes my bottom sore.
    I had a Pontiac Sunfire coupe and never felt a sore behind.
    My wifes car is an Olds Alero-leather- comfortable seat.
    This is the only thing that I don't enjoy about the car. Does anyone else experience this problem? Anyone have a suggestion?
    I would go back to the dealer and ask to try out another Civic with the same seats. You have nothing to loose but your own discomfort. My hybrid is very comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.