Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!

Comments

• bigskyguy12000bigskyguy12000 Member Posts: 5
    First thing I did when the Toytoa FJ came out this year was run down to the dealership to see if I could get it in Diesel. I was hardly surprised when they said no.

Haven't seen that Bronco concept yet. Looks interesting.

I suppose one of these days someone will have to make the plunge and just build one. They're all over the rest of the world!
  • suds4mesuds4me Member Posts: 3
    I too am waiting for this truck to be built.But 2009? Just shoot me and get it over with!Let me know if you hear any good news about this truck.Maybe by the time they build it,they will have the problems with the diesel engine worked out so it can be sold in Calif.I believe that same diesel engine is already in the Jeep Liberty which can't be sold new in Calif.In the mean time,I'll just sit in my garage and pour myself another draft. Hollister,Ca.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Philly Auto Show 2006 Jeep Gladiator
    I was told that this is going to be a production model for 2007 / 2008 model year after the Compass and Patriot are released.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace Garage
    Thanks.I just hope that the diesel is an option in Calif.I drive a 99 dodge w the cummins,170k mi.I have a buyer just waiting for me to put it up for sale.So he is also keeping his fingers crossed about this Jeep. Keep me in the loop,and thanks again. Charlie
  • 10thplanet10thplanet Member Posts: 6
    "I was told that this is going to be a production model for 2007 / 2008 model year after the Compass and Patriot are released. "

AGAIN, The big question is 'WHO. Who told you that?!!'
    "AGAIN, The big question is 'WHO. Who told you that?!!"

I was told that by the Sales Manager and Dealership owner who had returned from Jeep Corperate Headquarters a few days earlier. So esentially I got it straight from the horse's mouth. :P

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    If I had the extra money,and the Gladiator was already on the market, I would buy it today. Chrysler is at the top of the heap (with a few others) in having the coolest looking vehicles on the road.
  • brdhntr01brdhntr01 Member Posts: 7
    Sales from the Big 3 American manufacturers are down. Maybe if Jeep had some different vehicle from what the others offered would someone would buy it? Or maybe Jeep should just continue to introduce models like the Compass that is ugly as sin and coming to the market late? Well we would not want them to innovate now would we? It is better to cannibalize their other products rather than create excitement.
    "AGAIN, The big question is 'WHO. Who told you that?!!"

""I was told that by the Sales Manager and Dealership owner who had returned from Jeep Corperate Headquarters a few days earlier. So esentially I got it straight from the horse's mouth.""

Great.... More info from salesmen. You sure about wich end of the horse you were dealing with?

DCC, You should be ashaimed... COMANDER!?...COMPASS? USELESS!!! WHY DONT YOU SELL JEEP DIV. OFF. Or is it like a sand castle to you?... Your gonna ruin it so theres nothing left worth having.
  • mhleithmhleith Member Posts: 2
    OK I just want to know if they really do plan on building this or not. I can wait til 09, really don't want to. But I do want to know if they actually are or are not going to build it?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Rumors about Allpar.com have the JK 31 to join the JK family in 2009. JK 31 is a certain pickup truck.

Add this up.

This from a friend who has contacts inside DC and who has access to Allpar, but I'm trying to confirm it as well.

-Paul
  • italianwaiteitalianwaite Member Posts: 1
    In the latest print version of Automobile Magazine (August Issue) they have a section of new cars coming to market in the next few years. And in this section they show that the Gladitor will come to market in 2007. The prob is that it is only a very small paragraph giving this info, so there isn't much info there. But they do have '2007' printed next to the gladiator.
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    This thread is getting buried too far in the weeds! If we don't maintain interest DC will start to think we don't want it.
    Come on, DC. A small/mid-sized diesel pickup is EXACTLY what this country needs!
    That is exactly what I am waiting for,a mid-sized diesel PU.I have got the 4-sale sign ready to go onto my '99 2500 Dodge diesel. I have been reading in allpar.com that DC is going to call this pickup a Scrambler. Anyone heard or read anything about that?
    Scrambler, huh? Jeep had a Scrambler in the early-mid 80's (pre-Chrysler years) when it was AMC Jeep. It was essentially a CJ with a 4' pickup bed on it. But I guess it's a closer resemblance than the old Gladiator J-series full size pickups.
    It is too bad that Jeep will not think with their heads and produce something exciting like the Gladiator to improve sales. The Compass is very ho hum and really does not meet the loyal constituents of the Jeep Brand. The Gladiator will certainly give people a reason to double take and generate excitement.

Continuing to deny those of us that need this vehicle will not generate desire only loathing.

So Jeep can either appeal to the group that consistantly purchases their products. Attend the events. Generate buzz with their family and friends or they can get lost in the crowd with the Compass.
  • kentuckydavekentuckydave Member Posts: 2
    My thoughts exactly. Nice post.
    "So Jeep can either appeal to the group that consistantly purchases their products. Attend the events. Generate buzz with their family and friends or they can get lost in the crowd with the Compass"
    have you seen the compass ad on TV? ... BOBBLE HEADS! How about DR Z. or the HEMI REDNECK? Other auto makers use people in their ads that other people might relate to, creating appeal, DCC uses clowns in thier ads because thats who they think will buy their products. OR, thats what they think of the "group that consistantly purchases their products" OR, thats the current management style at DCC and they want their ads and products to reflect it.
    I dont think we'll be able to shame them into producing the Gladiator. They'll have enough shame to deal with when the the splash made by the belly flop of the Comander is matched by the soft shelled squish of the Compass.

Bobble heads...nice work
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    Now that was a good post.

Dave Becker
  • crazycarmancrazycarman Member Posts: 2
    Does the Gladiator look a little to much like the j10 from the 1980's??? See article below.

www.4wd4sale.com
  • stlhookedstlhooked Member Posts: 6
    Yea aint it great!!! Words come to mind like beautifull and stunning...
    "Does the Gladiator look a little to much like the j10 from the 1980's???"

So what? At least it looks like a Jeep! Incidently, the referenced article (post #225)is about an Aussie Jeep called a CJ10, something a lot closer to the Scrambler than to the full-sise J10/J20 pickups sold from the mid-70's thru the late-80's .
    We all know there was an aussie pick up version. Do you have one for sale? have you seen one for sale? how about a 1960s forward control jeep? A company in India, (Mahindra), was still making FCs until just recently, (they may still)but good luck getting one shipped here. This thread's not about the glory days of Jeep. Its about DCC producing a vehicle that is currently usefull and practical. C'mon DCC do you need a tap on the forehead to get that brain rattlin' around in there.
  • smilezsmilez Member Posts: 4
    If you need a Scrambler now, check out American Expedition Vehicles. Their BRUTE is a very nice, modern day Scrambler.
    They're the company that did the HEMI swap in the Wrangler.
    link title
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The AEV Brute's are generally cost prohibitive for a LOT of people who want a Scrambler. Basically you take your brand new Jeep and add several thousands (over 10,000) and let them do their work.

While I love their products, I'm not willing to fork over a brand new Jeep to them to hack up, do their work to it, then give it to me. While it should still be warrantable, I wouldn't want to try and make a warranty claim with it.

Besides, most of their stuff they put on it is available elsewhere or from them. AEV rockers and wheels can be bought through Quadratec. Even the pickup idea is done by other manufacturers, but I can't remember their name.

Having a factory produced version is a MUCH better way to go and ups DCX's credibility and marketability.

-Paul
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Link

Guess that shuts down this thread.....
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    This shows how little DCX actually listens to its customers. There has been a lot of favorable reaction to the Gladiator concept, and Chrysler is ignoring it.

A reason given for not producing the truck was that it would be "too expensive." How expensive can it be to to build an 07 Wrangler as a pickup? After all, everything from the front seats forward is same as the Wrangler. The expandable pickup bed is a concept feature which could have been left off of production models, saving some moeny.

Another excuse from DCX was, "We have the Dakota." Well, the Dakota is a midsize truck, not a compact like the Gladiator would have been. In a world of $3 gas, the Gladiator with a diesel powerplant makes sense. The thirsty 3.7 in a Dakota doesn't.

There hasn't been a Jeep pickup since Mopar took over Jeep and killed the excellent Commanche pickup. Chrysler was concerned then that the Commanche, which was a much better truck than the Dakota, would cannibalize sales away from the Dakota. Looks like that kind of thinking still prevails at DCX twenty years later.

I've owned three Jeep Cherokees and one Grand cherokee. Now those of us who want a compact truck have only the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-series to turn to. It's just as well, because DCX will never see another dime of my money.
  • upiorupior Member Posts: 10
    tell you what, I was ready to buy this truck wether it costs
    twenty or hundred thousand, not that I'm a milioner, just would sell something or get an extra job to pay for it...
    Well... in that case, there is no sense to live anymore.
    good bay may friends ;-(((((((
  • migzmigz Member Posts: 2
    I hope that this is one of those reverse psychology things where they say, " Oh now we are not going to build it." and then see it come out in a year or 2. Man it pisses me off I been holding out on buying a truck hoping to see if this one comes out. Hay maybe is we start a letter writing campaign to DCC telling how stupid they are buys passing on this truck maybe we can change their mind.
    "It's just as well, because DCX will never see another dime of my money."

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

DCX says the dacota is "sufficient" , its a passing grade, a C-, its enough to get by.
    I wouldn't brush up against one in a parking lot for fear of getting that junk on me!
    Hey DCX, your the best sale staff your competition could ask for! I'll take the Frontier in red. Thanks for making that decision easier.
  • tweak123tweak123 Member Posts: 1
    This is going to be a great loss to DC... I have been the owner of Jeep vehicles since I started driving my first car, and I have been waiting for the Gladiator.

With the comments I have seen floating around the press, DC will be sure not to see a penny of my money. I have been looking at upgrading from my 83 cj-7 as I would like to use that as more of a 4x4 play vehicle... Guess its time to start looking at Toyota or Chevy.
    My immediate family and myself own 5 Jeep vehicles. I am on my 3rd personal Jeep. Based upon the Jeep/DC current position in regard to the Gladiator, this is my last. My current Wrangler Rubicon no longer meets my needs. I had been holding off on a truck purchase but will not be waiting any longer. After attending the Jamboree that I have scheduled this fall the Wrangler is up for sale and a trip to buy a truck is in order. My visit will not be to Dodge dealer; most likely a Toyota or a Ford is in my future. Good bye Jeep. :sick:
    Yea this news really sucks. I am currently doing a conversion. (I'm putting a VW 1.6 diesel engine into a 86 Samurai), the diesel's economy is really attractive. There aren't any economic trucks out there right now. A small truck with pulling power and economy would be sweet. I guess DC is sleeping with the Oil people.
  • unityroadunityroad Member Posts: 1
    Love the Gladiator. Hope DC builds it. They built the prowler.I would buy if they build it. But please build it in this country. Will buy new tundra soon if DC waffles on this one (Gladiator) that is. A current owner, I hope your listening DC.
    yeah, they built the prowler and it had NO power and was overly expensive. If DCX had originally put a v6 with a turbo, or shoehorned a small v8 into it, it would have done better. But then that leaves the price, they started the prowler at $40k, and then Ford turned around and did the same thing with the T-bird, but at least it had the power under the hood, just was WAY too expensive. If both cars had been started about $22-$24k they would have flown (err- driven) off the lots. But what do I know I'm only a little Peaon that would like to spend my money, just not that much money. So you know even if DCX had decided to build the Gladiator, they would have more than likely started it closer to $40k, or they would have rebadged it to look like a Dodge and called it the Power Wagon.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Sorry to say it but I told you guys there was no way this butt ugly truck was going to be built. There just isn't any need for it. DC already has more than enough truck models and in this age of rising fuel costs it just doesn't make any sense. :shades:
  • bigskyguy12000bigskyguy12000 Member Posts: 5
    so nobody...I mean nobody from dealers to people at diamler and yes, folk in this forum don't seem to have a FOR SURE answer. Will they or wont they? Seems the overall feeling in no, the gladiator wont be built. I shake my head in disapointment of diamler. Go ahead, sell the company see if I care. you guys are a disapointment.
  • fortunetellerfortuneteller Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I do believe they will build the Gladiator or whatever they call the Wrangler based pickup. The success of the Wrangler 2 & 4 door will make them want to plumb the depths for profit and a pickup would be an easy cost effective money maker. I will buy one but don't want a diesel or V6 gas. The natural for me is the available 4.7 V8. Keep the weight below 4,500 lbs add a rubicon version with 9500lb winch and here is my 05 Power Wagon in trade. It will do all I need it to do and save me 5 mpg. Quit wasting time and produce it now. We want it, we will buy it. I predict more success for the Galdiator than the GM H3T.
  • jmorrowjmorrow Member Posts: 2
    Yes they are going to build it. I think we will see it for a 2009 line up it will feature a 3.8 v6 same as wrangler; We might see a small diesel 2.8. the price range from 22,000 to 29,000. with the new owners of chrysler we will see a lot of the new stuff built. I would like to see the Jeep Hurricane that would be to cool. Go to this web site and you will belive like i do "IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME."

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-jeep-gladiator.htm
  • stpatrickstpatrick Member Posts: 1
    Is there somewhere we can sign something saying we want this thing built. Maybe if there are enough names. If this thing is priced right and wrapped around something that gets average to better-than-average gas mileage, I cannot see it not selling. Just can't see it not flying out the door of the dealerships; you might think Jeep had built a plane it'd be flying out the door so fast.
  • vagabumvagabum Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to order a Jeep Gladiator sight unseen. I've been right 2 out of 3 times ordering new concept vehicles sight unseen in the past: Short Suburban (in production known as Yukon or Tahoe); the short version Plymouth Voyager (also know as Dodge Caravan) and a big mistake on the Chevy Vega. All I need to know to place my order for the Jeep Gladiaror is delivery date and available colors and I'll sell my Chevy 1500 pick-up and Jeep Wrangler.
    I'm waiting also.........!!
    I've had a picture of the Gladiator on the homescreen of my phone and everyone I show it to loves it...
    American car makers are going to loose the battle against the imports if they don't get their heads out of their A$$es and start selling economic gas friendly vehicles that people want instead of the same old gas guzzling junk they've been trying force-feed down our throats.
    I wish VW would bring back the diesel rabbit truck.....
    I don't own a construction buisness, so I don't need to haul two tons of bricks everyday.
    But I would like to haul a new couch etc.....
    It woud be nice not have to rent a Uhaul to do so......
  • otispevansotispevans Member Posts: 2
    What's the hold up on this deal?
    I've emailed Jeep for the past 3 years since the concept 1st hit the car show.
    I'm just hoping it doesn't end up hitting the skids.
    A utilitarian pickup with a full bed and actual off road capability???
    What's the hold up??
    I've personally spoken with 1/2 a dozen people that would trade in their trucks, wrangles, boats and dogs to get the Gladiator in hand.
    What's the hold up???
  • otispevansotispevans Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your email regarding the Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle.

Chrysler LLC would like to thank you for your interest in the Jeep Gladiator. Though the decision has been made to forego production of the Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle, it does not mean that the Jeep Gladiator will not be considered for production at a future date. With constantly shifting market trends I would hesitate to discount the possibility of new products on the horizon, specifically designed to suit your needs.

We genuinely value consumer feedback, and encourage you to keep in touch for future updates regarding Jeep brand and its exciting product line up.
    Ok I've created a minor stir in my circle of who I know in the "middle class" sector and I'm still waiting for this truck to be built.

Maybe after the goverment "bailout" DC will be willing to take a "chance". Maybe they'll just keep doing what has been working for them.............. WONDER WHY YOU CAN'T SELL YOUR CURRENT JUNK???????????? SACK UP AND TAKE A RISK!!!!!

after all if you're going to drive around in a jeep that gets bad mileage and sure the hell isn't fast, WHY NOT PUT A BED ON IT?
    I'd never buy a Wrangler or a Dakota (Especially not the ugly [non-permissible content removed] 2008 Dakota). Are you trying to go bankrupt??????
  • chiropterchiropter Member Posts: 1
    They should put a kickass diesel in it (not some afterthought diesel option)...Like they did with the BMW 335d, which gets like 35 mpg highway and does 0-60 in like 5 or 6 seconds. I'm a sports car fan but even this gets me excited! I would buy it..
  • tommy1978tommy1978 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys. I agree. We need a decent ute down here with some serious 4wd capabilities to go hunting in.

I asked our guys in Sydney Australia and the jeep sales men didn't even know what I was talking about. I had to tell him to look on the net.

I'd be the first to trade in my car for one in Australia.

Count me in to sign a petition to get this thing going.
  • killerbee32killerbee32 Member Posts: 2
    I will buy one if you build it. To the extent that you can give us more room in the back seat. I prefer a V6 gas engine not a diesel but if all i can get is a diesel i'll make due.

America doesn't have a smaller pickup. They are all Ford F150 size...thats too big for a lot of people.
    Please do not make it to look like the hummer. Keep the original jeep wrangler front end appearance.
  • killerbee32killerbee32 Member Posts: 2
    I'm just curious to know if there is anyone from Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat listening in on thois blog. Can we get some official feedback please? You have a lot of faithful Jeep customers here saying build the Gladiator. How about a company statement on its status please.
This discussion has been closed.