Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!

Comments

• dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    I get what your saying, but I don't think it will sell. If Jeep wants back in the truck biz then they need to bring back the Commanche with the Eliminator package. Now that was a truck!
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I have been shocked and disappointed for years that Jeep has stood by while the Hummer H2 (SUV and SUT), and now the H3, has come out. Jeep should have owned the tough military inspired SUV/SUT market, period. Instead, we got the bloated H2, and now the underpowered H3 with the baggage of the ruined Hummer name. Hummers are charicatures now. You don't need to be a card carrying Sierra Club member to roll your eyes at one of those things as they lumber by.
    I hope Jeep does comes out with the Gladiator (with a useful extended cab or a double cab), and the Rescue for that matter. In the meantime, I will be looking forward to the Toyota FJ, which for reliability reasons may yet be the best of the bunch.
  • davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    I'm apparently on an emailing list for Morpace Marketing. Back before Jeep had the diesel in the Liberty, Morpace emailed me and asked questions (survey form) about how much I would want one/ would pay, etc.
    They recently did the same asking questions about the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Well, in a drop down box asking what cars I was interested in buying, under Jeep, were the following cars: Commander, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Liberty, and.... Scrambler.

The fact that they used Commander implies knowledge of what is forthcoming. Is the Scrambler name on its way? I have to admit, it's less unwieldy than Gladiator, and Scrambler matches well with Wrangler. But Gladiator matches well with Commander... We'll see what happens, but it looks like besides Commander, another Jeep model is forthcoming. Here's hoping it's the current Gladiator.

BTW, the open air option is a must! without that, it's just another pickup.. (I can't understand why Nissan dropped the "open sky" edition of the Frontier.)
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    It's a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand.
  • togloondatogloonda Member Posts: 16
    cool
  • kosmoskosmos Member Posts: 18
    The Glady was shown yesterday on Speed Channel. It was a feature on the Chicago Auto Show. If anyone else saw it you no doubt will have seen some pretty awesome footage of this beast! Look for a repeat show to see it again.
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    OUTSTANDING TRUCK!!! PLEASE put it into production! As a former J10 and Comanche owner, I love this truck. Build it with a hard top and scrap the "adjustable bed" thing for a few more inches in the rear seatand accomodate (supported) 8' load lengths with the tailgate down. Diesel is a good thig, but offer an automatic trans option. Like so many have said before me, "If you build it we will buy it!".
  • tenthplanettenthplanet Member Posts: 2
    I've owned 13 jeeps since 1986 and have never even considered buying one new from a dealer but when the gladiator shows up on the dealer floor I'll be there. I dont like the 18 in rims ( anything bigger than 16 in. is a fad for suckers) or the moveable bulkhead. but the truck as a whole seems to be everything I have with my lifted wrangler and everything I need in a pick-up. DCC, you build, I'll buy!
    Chrysler is not building that butt ugly thing. Plus with gas prices going thru the roof I doubt they'll be in any hurry to build another truck.
  • brdhntr1brdhntr1 Member Posts: 19
    It is a Jeep thing! You do not understand. It is not ugly in the Jeep enthusiast world.
    I beg to differ, I love Jeep's. I almost bought a Commanche with the Eliminator package. THAT was a truck! This Gladiator thing.... pass!
    I guess "almost bought" is the operative word here. Another "wanna-be". BTW the Comacnhe was an OK truck, as long as it was the only truck Jeep built. I traded a J-10 for mine. Once I understood that I had to make two trips to haul the same load that the full size took in one trip, we got along fine. It really wasn't more than a yuppie play-toy with a tiny load capacity. But then it was the only "truck" they made at the time.
    Uhhhh no! Almost bought as in I was young and stupid. Got turned down by my bank and didn't realize I had other options, so I just let it go. To this day I wish I had bought that truck. Oh yeah I had NO plans to haul anything but some woofers. I also would have slammed it and put on bigger wheels and low profile tires. Haul stuff in it..... are you nuts? That truck was built for cruzin not haulin.
  • jpyjfrdmstngjpyjfrdmstng Member Posts: 1
    im actually selling my 91 wrangler this year, i dont like the fact that the hardtop takes up so much room in my garage and the wrangler has almost no storage so i feel as if it isnt very practical, people in my family call it a hotrod, im going to buy a pickup and this is perfect, the fact that you dont actually have to take the top off to go topless is awesome, i love that idea, the small door on the driver side seems to be a waste of money to me, making the front seat tilt forward like my yj is just fine for getting boots or equipment out, the diesel engine is where its at, offroading is usually a slow pace and thats where u need the torque, im glad they didnt put a v8 deisel into this vehicle because that isnt very practical at all, 160hp is enough, this isnt a sports car, its an offroad vehicle, id like to see a roll bar in it or atleast know that the roof is reinforced, and somewhere to put the doors when i take them off!! i hate leaving stuff at home only to need it later, if the gladiator makes production, i will for sure buy one, this is exactly what im looking for aslong as they can keep the price down. thanx for reading
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I'm not sure if Jeep will build this thing, but I'd love it if they would. Jeep has a very limited lineup, and only this year are they getting a large SUV, the Commander.

Whether they build the Gladiator or not, I think Jeep needs a pickup truck or two in it's lineup. They could be built on the Ram and Dakota platforms, and HEMI engines should be used. Jeep can then restyle the interior and exteriors and make them look like real Jeeps. They should retain their legendary off road abilities.

If they do build the Gladiator, I think it should be priced between 35-40K. Anything higher and I'd say it's pricing itself out of it's league.

With regards to post 61, I agree gas prices are soaring. However, here in the Middle East gas is dirt cheap, like 20 US cents. No wonder the most common SUV's here are Suburbans, Yukons and H2s. The Gladiator would have a good market share here, as many people want trucks with real off road abilites. That's why Range Rovers and Land Cruisers are also very popular here.

Daimler-Chrysler, please build the Gladiator! There are so many of us who would love owning, or even seeing these vehicles.
  • rad3rad3 Member Posts: 2
    Used to have a jeep and had to get rid of it with the family now. I do miss that vehicle. I need another truck now and nothing really appeals to me. The Gladiator looks to be what I've been waiting for. They need to make it a double cab with open air capabilities. Kind of like the Hummer but at least most of us will be able to afford the Jeep. I have a boat that weighs 3500 pounds so I hope they make it with a good bit of towing and stopping power. The only problem I see with the Toyota FJ is that it doesn't look like the top will come off. Does anyone have any info on that? As for the look of the Gladiator I think the guy who says you have to have been a Jeep owner to appreciate it... He's right, it's a look that other trucks don't have, it has character. If they decide to build it how long before it will be on the market?
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I like the Jeep Gladiator a lot. It is a unique vehicle that Jeep needs.
    "If they do build the Gladiator, I think it should be priced between 35-40K. Anything higher and I'd say it's pricing itself out of it's league."
    Another one with more money than common sense! At 35-40K it's already priced out of MY market. I won't pay that no matter how much I like it. No pickup truck is worth 40K, regardless of what they sticker at. Anything over high 20's to 30K and I guess I'll just have to wait for a used one.
  • liltommyliltommy Member Posts: 2
    A little research.
    The top of the line Grand Cherokee (with the Hemi) is about 42 K MSRP.
    The Liberty with a Common Rail Diesel Has an MSRP of about 26K.
    A full Up Dakota 1500 regular cab is Still inder 35 K
    A top of the line 2500 Dakota can get almost to 45K.
    A Wrangler Rubicon Sahara Unlimited with everything is about 35K

IMHO, If the Gladiator does get to market, it will most likley go for under 40K
    Since it looks like the Chassis is about the same as the Commander (A Grand Cherokee Chassis with truck appointments) I cannot see DC tring to get too much of a permium. In any case, I will vote with my wallet if DC releases a truck with the diesel, I will be driving one.
  • chrispagchrispag Member Posts: 2
    It is truly a wise marketing move by jeep to come out with a truck. i can't tell you how many times i have had to rent a truck for something because it wouldnt fit in the back of my Cherokee. in the south, where i live, one in three cars is a pick up so its a big market.
    Read the account of driving the Gladiator on the INSIDE LINE - DRIVING THE JEEP CONCEPTS. AWESOME!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rickvhrickvh Member Posts: 28
    Hopefully they will have a lot of options on it. I notice in the concept picture it has a dana 35c. That side view in another picture looks pretty skimpy on rear leg room though. Only two things I dont like about it... Then again, the rear is an easy swap for a Ford 8.8 and I never have to sit in the back anyway. I'm sold!
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Um, I'm sure nobody here is going to pay $40k for a compact pickup... :confuse: I've seen this thing in person.
  • mjeephickmjeephick Member Posts: 1
    if they make this truck i would prefer a real bed with a spray on liner not that plastic looking expendable thing. Also they need to offer the straight 6 (its bullet proof) and a V8. They also need to make sure it has a solid front an rear, preferably the dana 44's( make lifting it a few more inches easier) they should put 15-16 in rims and stuff no smaller than 31's id like to see 33's stock. The big thing is it cant be a unibody frame. my 95 xj is and its the only down side to it. I still would buy a comanche if they made them but i ran out of time. If they did this i would buy the day it hits the floor. I would also prefer a new scrambler. Im looking for one now but the all wave 100000+ plus miles and over 20 years of use in them. If one of theses was brought back with the current wrangler theme id get one
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    I sent the email to Jeep expressing interest in the Gladiator. In the quotations below is what I wrote to them.

------"Within the next 3-4 years I'll finally be in the market for a new vehicle. I am leaning toward a truck for their utility, 4x4, and higher seating position on the road. After seeing this concept I immediately fell in love. I had always wanted a Wrangler although never bought one. The lack of storange/hauling space is what kept me from purchasing. This Gladiator looks to keep all the good things that are offered in a Wrangler as well as adding storage/hauling. Should this vehicle be built close to its concept in styling, utility and dimensions, you will have a new Jeep customer. The diesel engine option is a must! Thank you."------

Open top, check. Diesel engine(improved mpg?), check. Jeep styling, check. Jeep offroad capability(i'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume it will have it), check. A truck bed that gives you the ability to haul/store items, check. The Gladiator is everything I could want in a Jeep product. Price a base model with the manaul tranny, diesel, and decent interior room for near 25k or less and i'm sold!

While I'm here I would also like to make a plea that if this beauty is built that it has a telescoping steering wheel. I am a tall, lanky fella who usually has to drive with the seat all the way back because of legroom issues. This puts strain on my arms while driving. :( I would imagine that a telescoping steering wheel would make driving more comfortable for not only tall people, but short or average people as well.

->SiK99
    Just an update. The EPA mpg ratings for the Jeep Liberty diesel is 22 city/ 27 highway. I have read that the Gladiator concept has the same(or was it similar) diesel engine. With gas prices in the states these days...this would definately be a bright spot! Please build this truck!

->SiK99
  • liltommyliltommy Member Posts: 2
    I went to A Jeep Dealership in Scottsdale over the weekend to do a little fishing. I asked to drive a Liberty with a Diesel motor.
    I was VERY unimpressed with the sales staff talking about the Common Rail Diesel as though it were unsuited for off-road use. I was told that "You really want a Hemi for off-road."
    I pointed out the the most common G-wagen setup in Europe was a Common Rail Diesel, and the G was respectable as on off-roader. The salesman informed me that they did not have a diesel on the lot that was ready to be test driven, but I was welcome to take the Grand Cherokee with the leather and a Hemi out. With the sales staff like that, who knows what DC is hearing from the dealerships.
    I recently bought a left over 2004 Rubicon. I had to go to two dealerships. Both of the formerly exclusive Jeep dealers that have now been injected with Chrysler products had severe impairments on the Jeep models and options. The second dealership brought in some guys that could answer some pointed questions and gave me the warm fuzzy. The first and second string guys at the first dealership never did come up to speed. I am afraid that "real" Jeep guys are going to become scarce. A hemi under the hood for every application is not the answer.
  • hdctjhdctj Member Posts: 5
    I was really interested in the CRD Liberty when Jeep announced it. Apparently the things can't meet CARB's requirements though so no CRD KJ's here in CA. And as far as I know, they are not available in New York as well. Those are HUGE markets given the populations therein, so I have to wonder how seriously Jeep is still pushing the diesel engines here in the US. Maybe the CRD is an experiment to see how the market buys in to diesel?

Hopefully Jeep can meet CARB's numbers eventually with these engines....Having a full-size Gladiator like truck available when I'm in the market again for another car in a few years that could run on soy/corn based diesel would be nice. :P on you Big Oil!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    but you have to buy it out of state. :) In my years in Cali, I learned that they have a very hostile attitude towards diesels, especially 18 wheelers.

-Paul
    Just thought I ought to post here again since the thread seems to have died out. If DC really does check the consumer pulse in these forums, we need to maintain interest in the Gladiator concept. Come on DC, even if we aren't talking, we still want a Jeep pickup. It's been too many years!
    Any car mag i've read recently that has covered the Jeep Gladiator Concept has said they would like to see this truck in production. I agree 100%.
    THIS TOPIC IS FAR FROM DYING OUT. I'VE BEEN QUIETLY GATHERING INFO ON THIS VEHICLE AND DRUMMING UP SUPPORT FOR QUITE A WHILE. DC NEEDS THIS PRODUCTION MODEL ASAP. DIETER ZEITSCH (I THINK THATS HOW HE SPELLS IT), CAN CONTACT ME PERSONALLY IF HE NEEDS TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE JEEP BUYER WANTS.
  • upiorupior Member Posts: 10
    Gladiator is a dream truck for me. 4x4, small diesel, 6 speed... just the way it is.
    And if I see it on the dealer lot today, I'm buying it NOW!!!
    BTW I bet there would be lots of Hammers traded off :-)
  • dbachdbach Member Posts: 1
    Hmm let me get this straight. Cars account for 45.5% of sales and trucks make up 54.5% (Suv's=26.2, pickups=19.2, vans=8.6) and Jeep has 0 pickups. I don't get it. I'll be in the market for a new truck in a couple years and the Gladiator is exactly what I'm looking. Please build this truck DC.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Just from the standpoint of Jeep diversifying its lineup and gaining sales, the Gladiator would be a godsend. Also, it's time for an affordable diesel pickup with a good six speed. I don't need a Ram 3500 or a King Ranch!
    I wholeheartedly agree! Having to but a 3/4 ton or 1-ton rig just to get a diesel is B.S. A diesel-powered half-ton pickup should sell like hotcakes.
    the utility of a pickup but something a bit smaller that would be perhaps a bit more efficient. With the fuel problems of the 70's and 80's, the small pickups were born - S10 and Dakota come to mind. That small utility pickup is a potential good market IF the right product is put there. The small pickups are growing in size. The Gladiator seems to return to a somewhat smaller size, yet still be effective in multiple roles.

Putting a small diesel like the Liberty's in the Gladiator will give people:

- a fairly compact utility pickup for hauling stuff
    - a reasonably fuel efficient diesel that doesn't use near as much gas as a full-size pickup
    - a capable offroader with the wonderful Jeep heritage

DC has an incredible opportunity to cash in on Jeep's heritage as an American icon and a workhorse that can handle tough stuff. By putting a green CRD diesel in it, they can promote how they are trying to promote fuel conservation. If it has good torque and offroading abilities AND be fun to drive like a Wrangler, all the better.

Even if they don't use the Liberty's CRD, there is ample knowledge in the Mercedes section of DC to take advantage of MB's diesel knowledge and put SOMETHING like that in the Gladiator. The 3.2L in the E320 CDI would be great. And it is an INLINE 6!

The only wrong move DC could make with this would be to not make it.

-Paul
    "The only wrong move DC could make with this would be to not make it. "

Amen!!!

However, DC also showed their penchant for wrong moves in the late 80's when they discontinued Jeep's pickup line after taking over AMC. What, Dodge couldn't stand the competition? My first Jeep was a 79 J-10 that I bought from my Father when he traded up. My second was a 87 Comanche that, in spite of training (3) teenagers to drive, lasted me 190K miles. These trucks are/were awsome! The access to my deer hunting cabin is more often than not axle-deep mud for a good half mile after climbing the side of the mountain on a logging track. Both trucks negotiated that with the standard GSA's ... no problem. My current Silvarado had problems making the steep slope with an inch of thawed mud on the surface!

Come on DC, there's a lot of us out here that sorely miss a Jeep pickup. Build this thing!
  • moochorbbmoochorbb Member Posts: 16
    The Gladiator is what ive been hoping for. Ive owned 2 ford rangers and a s10. Im just waiting for this amazing looking thing. im glad for the diesel engine, good mpg is very important. Put this beast into production!!!! ill buy one when i get out of college which should be about the time that they would be made so please do.
  • upiorupior Member Posts: 10
    DC better hurry up with Gladiator production, because there is a Honda pickup coming up with the diesel engine and I don't wanna wait any
    longer and will grab whatever available first ;-/
    Come on DC make a decision. It looks as if they are going to analyze and discuss the decision to build until they are outside of a reasonable window of time for production. Lead the field do not follow!
    LOL! I can't believe people are so passionate about this butt ugly truck. Seriously I don't think it'll be in the pipeline anytime soon. But good luck... I thought the Razor was a no brainer but we see what happen there.
    While I will be the first to admit that the Gladiator has the aerodynamics of a brick, the styling is hardly what I'd call ugly. It has somewhat of a retro look with the spare to the side, but the front end screams Wrangler to me. But it looks a bit cleaner than the current Wranglers without being a serious departure from it.

I was given an article from thecarconnection that shows the long wheelbase jeep (including the RESCUE).

Why is this important? The article mentions, and I quote here, "A four-door addition to the Wrangler family, the Rescue will ride atop a new architecture that will also spawn a new Wrangler two-door and possibly a pickup truck as well."

Could this be the Gladiator platform we've been waiting for? I sure hope so. I love the Wrangler, but storage is an issue. I like the Unlimited a bit, but the pickup styling REALLY works for me on this.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Since I already have a Wrangler, I can see that this is beautiful, close relative.

Full text and larger photos from the article can be found link here (CLICKY).

-Paul
    "I can't believe people are so passionate about this butt ugly truck."

It's a Jeep thing! If you've never owned one, you'll never understand!
  • savageurgesavageurge Member Posts: 2
    I owned a '99 Dodge Ram, and now own an '03 Jeep Liberty. The Gladiator would fit perfectly between what I miss about the ride height, overall durability, storage and stowage of the Ram, but the ride, mileage and general "Jeepability" of the Liberty. I am an avid camper and it gets a bit tight in the Liberty with the wife, gear, and 2 German Shepherds, but with the Gladiator my space issues would be solved, and I could remain a loyal Jeep Owner! Not to mention I miss my bed (that never needs to be made) that I could use as a portable front porch to the world. I have 2 enthusiastic words for Daimler Chrysler: BUILD IT!!!! (and I will come, heehee)
  • pugnaxpugnax Member Posts: 2
    I too would like to own a Jeep Gladiator style pickup (p/u).

I am a Jeep fan who drives a Tacoma 4x4 because the Wrangler in particular or the SUV in general does not have carrying capacity and/or utility of a pickup (Try putting an Elk in the back of anything other than a p/u). I never cared for the Ranger or S-10, and was considering buying a Dakota as my next p/u, but have decided that Tacoma is the better 4x4. I bring this up because if Dodge wishes to block the Gladiator as I read in the press, I think they will loose potential customers as opposed to protect the Dodge p/u line.

It seems as if Jeep is content with coming up with really cool concepts that never see the light of day. The Dakar, Rescue, and Gladiator all vehicles that would make fine editions to the Jeep brand, in my opinion. That said, what does Jeep come out with? An oversized Jeep Cherokee in a market where gas prices are though the roof, and large SUV sales are down. The commander is arguably 36-48 months late to market. This does not make me think too highly of Jeeps product line decisions, which makes me think that the wrong decision will likely be applied to producing a Jeep p/u. Mainly, to not build one.

I really liked and miss my ’87 Comanche, and would buy a Jeep pickup in a heartbeat if they came out with one.
    You're absolutely right, pugnax. I said at the time and I still say that protecting Dodge was the real truth behind Chrysler dropping Jeep trucks in the first place.
    I too had a '87 Comanche that I traded a J10 for. Great little truck, and with the "Metric Ton" suspension package it hauled some pretty good loads, too. Taught three teenagers to drive in it and got over 190K miles before I finally traded it off eleven years later.
  • ajlangajlang Member Posts: 2
    My first new car was a 92 Jeep Commanche. Only got rid of it after 250,000+ miles for a Jeep Cherokee. It looks like rumors are swirling about the Gladiator going into production. This news article talks about a proposed assembly plant for a new Jeep truck in 2008 (near the bottom of the article):
    http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=3038849
    Autoweek states in a June article that the Gladiator won top honors in Detroit for future/concept pickup. An August article in Autoweek reports that DC will give a thumbs up or down on the Gladiator in the next 6-8 months.
    I hope it comes to pass. I will buy this truck.
This discussion has been closed.