Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    If Toyota ever built another Supra, I think there would just be one version, with the new 3.5 V6 developing 320hp, the same hp as the old TT model. I don't think Toyota would continue with a turbo engine anymore since they're costly and because it's more difficult to make them reliable. So what would be Toyota's motivations of building another twin-turbo engine for its Supra? I'm still searching... A V8 engine sounds good, but it would take some sales from Lexus and its IS500 (if it ever goes out) or from the SC (I know they're not in the same category but anyway...) Toyota could surely offer the 3.0 (let's say at 260hp) for the base model, but if they want a real competitive car against Z, it has to have at least the same hp or performances.
  • jza80jza80 Member Posts: 2
    i'm not too happy with the new toyota supra, Why because the 4 gen supra aka(mkiv) are at 320hp with an easy 400-800 hp stock block. now that 07 supra coming out i know forsure that mkiv will still rule. Best thing is to turbocharge that 07 V-block and gain some juice.
    What i'm trying to say is that i hope toyota turbocharge the supra so that way import could come up.
  • jza80jza80 Member Posts: 2
    well the 3rd gen supra (7mgte 0r 7mge) are bad (worse)
    because #1 reason head gasket
    #2 turbo seal
    after those 7m's toyota came out with 1jz and the mkiv 2jzgte toyota did an excellant job. i love those engines, never had any problems with them. I"ve own 6mge,7mgte,1jzgte,2jzgte,and 3sgte. and i dislike the 7mgte even tho it threw out massive hp.
    hopefuly we can change toyota way of builting supra N/A and V-block. i mean if you take a minute and look at the skyline, honda s-2000,Type R,Evo,and others inlines.
    Nissan and Hondas manufacturers are pretty successful with inline turbos so i think toyota should stick with inline turbo.

Trying to sale a na supra is one thing but if you think twice and try saleing a turbo supra more people would be interested in it. People now are looking for fast and the furious cars not vans. In 1993-98 toyota supra were unknow due to lack of advertise. Thats why supra weren't selling, but look at it know toyota supra turbo are sky rocketing.Nobody knew these cars existed unless you where a toyota guy.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Toyotas turbo days are over. The experiment has failed, as great as the experiment was.

TRD would have a turbo ready within a year for 400HP.

DrFill
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    [from ModernRacer.com]
    "2008 Toyota Supra
    On Sale : Unconfirmed
    These photos were Japanese interpretations of the next-gen Supra. Toyota is currently testing a supercar in the $100,000 range. Technology from this car may pass down to a future Supra, which may receive anything from a boosted V6 to a V8, or even a hybrid in its top form. Toyota has no comment, but the Supra nameplate will be back."

Modern Racer
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that Toyota knows that they need a halo. Ford has one in the GT (well, it's kind of broken, though :P ) Chevy has the Corvette, Dodge has the Viper, and I think that those cars kind of spice up the lineup. I would definitely approve of a Supra.
  • bimmer328ibimmer328i Member Posts: 1
    Just last week, driving down the highway, I saw what looked like a souped up Celica in the next lane. It looked really sharp, so when I pulled up to get a closer look of the tail end, on the trunk lid, it said Supra! I thought they had been discontinued, so that looked like good news.

So today, when I was looking at Edmunds for information on this Toyota model, it wasn't listed. Now after finding this forum, I understand why.. but what I don't understand is how did I see what I saw last week? Could it have been some Car and Driver editor who got to take a prototype for a test spin or something?

I'm bewildered..
    :confuse:
    That's amazing! Do you live around L.A? Because that's where C&D do their stuff, I believe. However, it might have just been some moron kid who souped up his Celica and put a Supra badge on it.

I hope not, though
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    C&D occasionally takes pre-production items out. Sometimes they can get their hands on prototypes/mules but these are generally for use ONLY on test tracks. These cars are generally very rough around the edges and are not for public roads (in additional, their replacement value is astronomical since they are essentially handmade).

Since Toyota has a history of keeping upcoming models under close wraps (literally; even preproduction models don't hit public roads without a large amount of camoflauge wrap disguising the bodywork), virtually nothing is on the show car circuit that one could point at and say it is DEFINITELY the new Supra, and they are not expecting to release anything until '07, I have a hard time believing that a future generation Supra is running around on the streets. Besides, why would Toyota let a prototype wander around with "Supra" on the deck lid for all the world to see?

I'd be willing to bet that either you saw a previous generation Supra, or some kid stuck a Supra badge on the back of his Celica.
    ""I'd be willing to bet that either you saw a previous generation Supra"

Proabably. I've seen some Supras that have had the bejeezus modded out of them.

", or some kid stuck a Supra badge on the back of his Celica."

Dumb kids
  • matvweymatvwey Member Posts: 1
    As you all know, Supra will not be comming back, however, it will be replaced by something better :shades: . Below is an article, with some spy shots that you might want to check out.
    link title
    This car is worth the wait, I didnt go for the 350z, I will get this one instead.
    For it. The 350Z is getting old.
    The LF-A, and new Supra, will be out within two years. Bank on it!

The Z was 'Yota's kick in the pants. Selling 40k mediocre sports cars will get 'Yota thinking $$!

They know they could EASILY build a better Z, they're worried about costs if the model fizzles after 2 years, like sports cars do. With the 3.5 built and ready to rock more than 300HP, the expensive engine is amortized by it's prolific use, as Nissan spreads it around like fertilizer. Nissan gave them the blueprint, now they will perfect the formula! A-la Lexus!

A juiced 5.0 V8 will power the LF-A (forget a V10), and can produce up to 500Hp with i-VVTi+L. That will also see duty in the GS and maybe the IS, in less powerful forms.

I HOPE the picture in this months SPEED Magazine (R&T) is close to what we will git! That was a pretty sweet ride! :D

DrFill
  • jasonvsujasonvsu Member Posts: 6
    There are several pics of the next Supra going around. The first one that I like was on autospies.com, then there were several that I didn't, but in the current issue of Speed, there is a good photo of a Supa I think that everyone would be happy with and Toyota wouldn't get sued for. This is really a sweet design. I think that as long as its performs it could kill.
    It doesn't have to be a Corvette but it shouldn't be significantly better than the 350Z. That is the Supra that I want. As a nice round number I think that there should be at least a 340hp V8 and then TRD that to 400hp. I'd be satisfied. The V8 engine could get use in some of the trucks, the Avalon, and the Lexus's.
  • jasonvsujasonvsu Member Posts: 6
    If nothing else, this car should be a ble to keep up with a Lancer Evo. I would rather have a quick car than a fast car because I am never going to get to drive 155 MPH. If I wanted to go faster I'd buy a Porsche or a Benz.
    they should have the 3.5L in the base Supra making about 300 hp to squash the 350Z. They should also have a large V8 making about 350-375 hp.

""and then TRD that to 400hp.""

Yeah! (If not higher :) )
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Well, Toyota already has the new 3.5L (from Avalon) that could be easily tuned to 300+ hp. All they need is to mate it to a smooth 6-spd MT and I'm a happy camper.
    They could probably take the one from the IS and beef it up, shorten throws, etc.

I also liked the SMT in the MR2. It was a lot better than BMW's *#&% SMG.
  • joseaya5joseaya5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Toyota Supra TT and it has about 455 hp. And I have a Aston Martin V12 Vanquish with 500 hp are more its a very nice car. The new 2007 supras will look similar to the 98 version but not exactly the same if you look at the 2007 Supra and a 98 Supra if you can till the head lights are in the same place but not exactly the same shape and the tail lights are almost the same shape and have a similar style the body style is a more aerodynamic then the 98 version but if you notice the body style is similar in some ways.

And if you want to see my cars E-mail me.
  • riboflavin0687riboflavin0687 Member Posts: 1
    all this talk about the 07 supra having so much power is sweet, but sales can't be that great with a toyota going for $40,000. that reminds me... why did the last supra cease? i'm just sayin.
  • prguy77prguy77 Member Posts: 14
    Anyone heard any recent news on the new Supra? I heard it's gonna debut in Tokyo in October, i can't wait to see it!
    "I heard it's gonna debut in Tokyo in October....."

Well, it doesn't look good. Edmunds posted part 3 of their Tokyo Auto Show preview today featuring the offerings from Toyota.

All I see are a bunch of weird transportation module/podmobile concepts featuring a bunch of hybrid/fuel cell powertrains. And slight mention of the Lexus LF-A with a 500hp V10 (and likely near $100k pricetag).

And absolutely no mention of a new Supra.

So, it doesn't look like a new Supra will be shown at the Show (at least, not as a 'concept'). I have no idea if Toyota will show us a production version or not once the show officially opens. But I'm getting antsy.....
    I'm getting ansty too. Do you know if the 2007 Supra is even a definite "go" or not? I've heard both answers but don't know for sure. The most common rumor is that it's coming, and that it's targeted straight at the 350Z, RX-8, GTO price/performance category.

Thanks!
    I haven't heard a word. Nothing.

I'm getting more than a bit perturbed........right now, it looks like my next car purchase will be either a Mustang or RX-8.

Oh, but thank God Toyota will release the $100k V10 powered Lexus LF-A. That's JUST what they need...... :confuse:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    with that LF-A? A CL55 fighter? Will it even have a back seat? I forget.

Haven't heard a word on Supra since the 'net went wild with unfounded rumors a while back. I don't think it is happening. An '07 model would be arriving in 12 months or less from right now. Still who knows, car show season is coming up...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yup, unless we hear of a new Supra soon i'm down to the RX-8 or the GTO myself. I'm amazed Toyota would concede the sports car category to their competitors. Especially with how well the Mustang is doing.

Way to go Toyota, talk about wanting to bring in a "younger" buyer and then abandon the MR2, the Celica, and the Supra!
  • khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    Toyota has been building boring sport cars, period. Either that or overpriced.
    "Toyota has been building boring sport cars, period. Either that or overpriced."

Ummm, okay. Which is one reason why we want a new Supra......
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Well i guess they are all overpriced then, as i could hardly call a Supra, MR-2 turbo, MR-S, Celica all trac or Celica GT-S, boring....

Dr.Fill..... its official now that the LF-A has a V10...can we still bank that we'd be getting a supra within the next 2yrs :P

If we do see a supra, my guesses are:
    1) Based on the same IS/GS platform
    2) IS 350's engine tuned to about 330hp
    3) 2000GT styling (hopefully w/ MKIV style taillights)
    4) 1300kg-1400kg kerbweight
    5) between 26k and 30k

in addition to that, how about it coming as a targa top? that'd be sweet
    Jes!

Targa Tops add weight, but are very pretty.

A 2000GT update would be most sweet!! ;)

I'm gonna fire up the Etch-A-Sketch right now!!

DrFill
    any forthcoming Supra would be heavily based on the IS, which leads to the guess that therewould be a Supra250 and a Supra350, just the way there used to be an NA model and a TT as well. That would almost exactly match the Mustang hp for hp, the only question is whether Toyota would want to bring out a low-$20Ks model, or would want to stick to the over-$30K market.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Any Supra very much over 30k would intrude on a Lexus IS coupe.
    but bear in mind that BMW charges more for its coupe than for its four-door, no reason Lexus couldn't do so as well. Which would mean maybe $32K for an IS250 coupe, $38K for an IS350 coupe. Whereas I was thinking of a $22K Supra 2.5 and perhaps $30K Supra 3.5. All the best options would be reserved for the Lexus cars, of course, with the Supra more of a purpose-built sport coupe without trying to be everything to all people, the way the 350Z tries to be. It would also match the IS coupes up well, pricewise, to the G35 coupe, while undercutting the 330Ci.

nice idea, but i'd prefer my supra in one flavour, thats 3.5 for $26-30k base price thank you. Furthermore, I dont think toyota would want to sell a Supra at a 22k price point...sports car image is important and at 22k would make it 'just another cheap toy'. And i doubt lexus would make both a 250 and a 350 coupe...if they have more than one model coupe, one would likely be an IS460 or something like that. The supra would never be all things to all people and i certainly dont think the 350z is that either. Why rob the supra of what it is just to accomodate a lower end lexus? from their history, seems like toyota/lexus thinks up, not down
    No Supra for me and the rest of the Supra devotees. Without an inline-6, it's not a Supra; so please, nothing based on the IS V6.
    If you get 306HP, a 6MT, and evolutionary sports car styling, for $30k, it's a great buy!

Not gonna hold my breath for a $22k Supra, but with the traffic Toyota is now commanding, a well-made, cheaper Supra would sell and have legs, like a Z.

Mazda doesn't have traffic so it's RX-8 sales are falling fast as the car ages.

Toyota has grown greatly over the last 10 years, and spreading the cost with the IS, along with a viable sports car market at $30k, will make a good business case.

DrFill
    So by that formula, i should assume the new GT-R is no skyline........oh wait.......its not isnt it? :P
    Deal with it....the only company sticking to I6 engines is BMW, and their inline 6's will be phased out soon too.
    If u want turbos, go aftermarket, cause a supra turbo will be more expensive than an NA v6 and the same thing will happen all over again, like in the late 90's.

fill... exactly what i'm talking about u see where i'm coming from :shades:
    Celica is gone, Scion covers the lower end sport coupe, a $22K 204 hp Supra would fit the line perfectly. Maybe $23 or 24K. And with RWD, it would be in a class of one at the lower price! It would eat up RX-8 and bottom end 350Z sales despite the power deficit, I am sure, if it were a couple/few thousand $$ less. At least, until the BMW 2-series with the 325's engine shows up.

And I am sure a $30K 306 hp Supra would kill in the market. Just please, Toyota, don't get too out of hand with the options and packages. Give it superlative handling and a great stereo at the base price, and keep most of the high-end options for the Lexus version.

Nissan does FANTASTICALLY well selling both 350Z's in FOUR DIFFERENT trims AND a G35 coupe, and BMW sells plenty of coupes and four-doors with two different engines. I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic about Toyota's odds of being able to sell so many variants of the IS platform, some labelled Supra, some labelled IS. Toyota engineering is every bit the equal of these other companies, IMO, even if their days of the most sporting models for the street ARE a few years behind them now.

Well the market can only support that many sport cars.......
    And you dont want to imagine the uproar a 204hp supra would cause. Doesnt matter if there is another higher powered version.......no new supra should be less powerful than the last generation one. Marketing suicide.
    And the 350z's 4 different trims are all based around the SAME engine and power rating in a braket of about 30hp. An RX-8 bases at about 25k.... toyota isnt gonna get a weak [non-permissible content removed] supra sold a 22-24k, but a 350z stomping behemoth at 26-32k would do just fine. Its about image really.............a 204hp Supra would do nothing but weaken the little respect they have left for building a competent sport car.
    how about a version of the 3.0, making 250 hp or so? The IS rides on a shortened version of the GS platform right? So engineering costs would probably be low to pop the 3.0 from the GS into an IS-based Supra. Selling at $25K. With superlative handling at base price. And yes, a great stereo.

I am sure that in a couple of years, this is where the IS is going anyway. IS 300 and IS460. I like that for the Supra. 250 and 350 hp variants, selling at $25K and $32K base price, respectively. With IS coupe variants of each, selling at about a $8K premium over the Supra with the same powertrain, and of course packing a whole lot more of that Lexus panache and standard equipment.

You just want a cheap car that has the supra name on the back dont you? Being based on the IS/GS platform, this car CANT get any lighter that 1300kg, and that would be using aluminium body panels. 250hp, is not gonna cut it. yes the base price should be as low as 26k, but fully loaded, it shouldnt really be any higher than 32-34k. Toyota/ Lexus wont offer a similiar number of variants across their line, because they are trying to diffentiate their lines as they go global. * They did say we would not get any more lexuses that are redisigned toyotas, but that does not meant they wont share platforms across the whole range.*
    I personally think (and would like to see that) the GS and IS make a swap...the IS gets the 255hp 3.0l to make an IS300 to replace the IS250, while the GS gets the IS350's 3.5 L to make a GS350.... then the GS430 would be dropped and replaced by the GS450h. Any version of either the IS or GS carrying the future LS 4.6L v8 would be in the vein of a performance oriented version......i'm not convinced that a GS460 is a given upgrade for next year, (and its not been confirmed, have no idea where the rumor came from) and I dont think it makes sense either if its not something akin to an 'M' or 'AMG' version as it would have pretty much similar output to the 450 hybrid.
    ....................................... sorry for the off topic rant , anyway,
    What i'm saying is toyota is capable of making a 3.5L n/a Supra, that comes stock well equipped and with a good stero and with options to be in the price range of 26-35k...and thats the only verion that would mke sense..business wise, marketing wise, REPUTATION wise and of course to satisfy the legion of aspiring supra owners (at least those sensible enough to realise the 2JZ turbo aint coming back).
    the only company sticking to I6 engines is BMW

Hmm ... 3-series is still the one to beat, or isn't it :P

BTW, the turbo is the only reason why the 93+ Supra is special, worth as much today as if they were new.
    Maybe in terms of sport sedans, but not really anywhere else now is it? :P

And no, the turbo isn't the only thing that made the car special......maybe it makes it more valuable than the NA version, but here are a lot of things about the supra that make it special and desireable.
  • rb1rb1 Member Posts: 11
    Great discussions on this board, considering this forum has been dead for a while. With that said, is the Supra dead? I mean I've seen all of the rumors of the Supra coming back for quite some time, but is there any definitive information confirming the Supra's revival in 07. If so, it may coincide with the IS coupe being released in 07 as well. For a new release to be coming out in basically a year, I would assume to have some solid facts to rely on. Anybody out there got anything?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I hope Toyota brings the Supra for their sake. It could go a long way towards boosting their image. As it is Toyota has a reputation for making well built, luxurious vehicles that are however bland and lacking style and personality. This car could boost that image.

Not like Toyota needs a homerun, they already have many, but this car is more about making a statement.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    As far as I know, the last Supra rumors with any hint of reality date back a year or two. Artist renderings were floating around, there were supposed spyshots, people said that Toyota said a concept would come out at a certain motor show (which passed without any mention of a future Supra at all)...

No one knew what kind of sports car the rumored Supra would be, but apparently we were all fooled and everything led to the Lexus LF-A.

Toyota hasn't said anything about a new Supra for a long time, basically.
    Danny Clements being asked, point blank, about the Supra, and, to paraphrase, he said the Supra had some internal discussions, but reviving the Land Cruiser into this FJ back-to-basics Land Cruiser won out, and that a budget for both would not be made available.

That is why I created the current FL Cruiser forum, initially named "Why I Hate The 2007 FJ Cruiser!" The fun police made the title more appealing to kids, so it is now just "2007 FJ Cruiser 4X4".

I think Toyota needs another truck/SUV like GM needs another OHV engine, but Toyota and I will agree to disagree on that one....

I don't see why Nissan can make money on the Z, but Toyota can't.

DrFill
    "I think Toyota needs another truck/SUV like GM needs another OHV engine, but Toyota and I will agree to disagree on that one...."

Personally, I think that 90% of the sales for the new FJ cruiser will come at the expense of other Toyota SUV's. I just don't see it attracting much non-Toyota traffic. Is it just my perception or is the small, entry Sport/cute-ute market getting to be a bit crowded?

On the other hand how many $25k-35k RWD sport coupes are there on the market?
    Mustang gt
    Mazda rx 8 & mx5 (grand touring)
    Nissan 350z
    Honda S2000
    Chrystler crossfire (non roadster/non srt version)
This discussion has been closed.