Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• roverguyinazroverguyinaz Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone has any luck with this phone with the bluetooth? I have a deposit down on a Black/Apaca HSE Sport with lux package, bluetooth, sirius and the 20" wheels. MSRP is $64,400. It is due in anyday as I was quoted December 2nd. I am becoming very concerned that I was excited about bluetooth and now Verizon phones are not working fully. Very frustrating. Also, has anyone else besides the gentleman from the UK found out where we can get chrome tips? I have searched ebay and the web and nothing. BTW, I bought mine from the North Scottsdale dealership here in Arizona. The anticipation of this vehicle is killing me as this is my dream car at the tender age of 27.
  • 06givgrnrrs06givgrnrrs Member Posts: 3
    I have been using that Motorola E815 from verizon with my RRS HSE for about two months with no problem. It does not utilize the cradle and therefore does not have an automatic download of the phone's contact list, but it is actually preferable to me to leave the phone in my pocket and have it automatically connected when I get in range.

You can make a voice activated phone book within the car, but there is a bit of a learning curve. Look at the manual, and enter your phone book numbers via the keypad rather than by voice as there is much frustration in repeating the numbers so that they are properly understood. There is a potential problem when you get a call as you are walking away from your car as you can not access through your handset until out of range and disconnected.

Also if it seems to not recognize your phone (happened once), try turning your phone off and then on again--this fixed it for me.
  • lookingloulookinglou Member Posts: 1
    I also have had the same negative experience especially when attempting to work Anaheim Hills Land Rover. They just weren't interested in my business for a RR Sport. Rrwest, please email me the information you're speaking of as I too would like to prove them wrong.
  • p993p993 Member Posts: 1
    Curious as to what kind of dealer markups people are seeing around the country on the supercharged models. San Jose dealer tacked on an extra 25k on the orange one, market adjustment... Pretty much turns me off from even buying there if they are willing to gouge like this.
  • brianf2brianf2 Member Posts: 1
    rrwest- any chance of getting your contact? Looking to purchase in the next week and any lead would be greatly appreciated. Talk offline?
    The voice is kind of frustrating when trying to "store phone name". Is there a way of actually adding a number and name manually? I have a motorola phone that will not allow a cradle, very annoying. Also, what does one need to purchase to make the IPOD work with the Aux input on the back of the center console?

FYI:

Had a flickering NAV screen and had it replaced 2 days after i took possession of the car. They said there could be a problem with them. If you see the flcikering, bring it in. Great truck and feels like a rock. Very please.
  • umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    Adding names and phone numbers to the voice directory is only possible via voice. It is not a fast process, I agree. However I did not find it frustrating. The system understood my numbers well enough, as long as I did not try saying the whole number, area code and all, at one time. Then it would often misunderstand and I would have to start from scratch. If you break them up in 2 it usually gets it right. I set up my 50 or so contact numbers over a couple of long commutes to/from work...

Don't hold your breath for cradles becoming available in the future, unless you happen to own a Nokia phone (the manufacturer of the PTI system.)

For the iPod - or any other MP3 player with a regular 3.5 mm headphone receptacle - you need an audio cable with 3.5 mm jacks on each end. You will connect one end to the headphone out of your MP3 player, the other end to the AUX IN on the back of the center console. Crank the volume all the way on the iPod, as you will probably still find the output from AUX to be much lower than from other sources (although I am not using an iPod, I hear that is a common issue with other people using this hookup.)
    You have to use the voice command system to give a name to the number for recognition later, but you can add the number manually using the keyboard. I found it very frustrating to try entering the number verbally, until I discovered this short cut.
    06givgrnrrs, can you explain how the shortcut works? I did not think it was possible to add numbers to the voice recognition directory via keyboard. I did try (entering the number via keyboard after storing the name) but it did not work, so obviously I am not doing it right.
    Thanks guys for the input. I would also be very interested in knowing how to enter them manually. Just another question for anyone...do you guys use another board to chat? I cant seem too find one that has consistent posts. Also, has anyone found their navigation screen to flash on occasion? I really cant believe how incredible one can feel when driving a car. I am in love with my truck. lol. Only problem is keeping the black clean in the Desert here in Arizona. :)
  • silverrrsportsilverrrsport Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone aware of how to get the main display to show the DVD video feed? I'm aware that this functionality works on non-US models, and I would love to be able to get it to work on mine too! ---
    I assume you have the RSE system in your Sport. The only solution proven to work so far is a hack available from a US company named Nav-TV. Their system restores the ability to enjoy DVD playback on the front monitor while parked, like in European spec Sports. In addition, the hack also allows front video playback while in motion. Unfortunately, the hack is fairly expensive (prices range from $1500 to 2500 and up depending on the dealer, so it really pays to shop around.)

Some have claimed that restoring the ability to play video out front while parked may simply be a matter to running a video cable from the rear RSE module to the front monitor, since obviously European vehicles that have not been "crippled" like those coming to the US can do that right out of the factory. That may be true, although I am not aware of anyone trying and/or succeeding in doing that yet. The only proven method right now is the Nav-TV system and, as one of the early adopters, I can tell you it works and - at least for me - it was well worth the $1.5K it cost to get it installed.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    use another board

Management sort of frowns on free advertising of other automotive message boards; please try a net search instead. Thanks.

Steve, Host
    It has been a while since I did it last, but I think it goes like this (page 120, RRS Navigation & Telephone Systems Manual)--STORING A TELEPHONE NAME/NUMBER:

you say "Phone store name"
    they say "name please"
    respond with "(the name of person)"
    they say "number please"
    you type in the number with keyboard, and (this is the part I am a bit uncertain about) hit either the number sign or enter (power) button next to keypad or say "store"

afterward you say "phone dial name" when you want to call a stored number then give name stored when asked.

Hope this helps.
    Actually, someone from a different forum (thank you djsaad1) pointed me to the settings submenu allowing you to enter phone numbers via touchscreen and then record the matching name to store in the car's voice recognition system:

From the touchscreen main menu (press the right hard button under the monitor to reach it) select Settings, then "Voice Settings". Choose "Voice Add Name", a soft keypad will be displayed on the monitor (don't use the one next to the radio display, it will not work). Touch the phone # you want to memorize, then press "Add". The system voice will prompt "Name, please?" Say the name that matches the number you just entered.
  • gkhaldigkhaldi Member Posts: 1
    Hello fellow RRS / LR3 enthusiasts. I recently (2 weeks ago) acquired as RRS SC black on black LTD ed. It comes with gorgeous 20" rims. My problem: There's not a single decent off-road tire for a 20".

I'd like to know if anyone out there has tried putting the 19" standard HSE rims on the RRS SC. I need to be sure before buying them. Landrover seems to be unable to help me.

I want thise 19" with Goodyear 255/55 R19 Muds

Appreciate any help.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The problem is clearing the massive brembo brakes. The stock 19 inch wheels are supposed to clear the brembos since we can order Range Rover Sport HSE's with dynamic response without ordering the 20 inch wheels. I would talk to your service manager or if he is unresponsive call around to find one that is. See if they will put your SC Sport up on the lift and test fit the stock 19 inch wheels to check for cleareance.
  • fcevallosfcevallos Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem..... Could you fix it.... how
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    Now that the first winter season is here for the RRS has anyone put chains on theirs? I'm thinking of the Go Claws (flextrax.com) since they're easy to use and the LR3 people seem happy with them. But there is conflicting info at their site on whether they'll fit the standard 255/50/R19 tires. The fit page says they don't have a size that works while their strap length page says use size #2.

I'm still waiting for them to get back to me to confirm one way or the other. Has anyone bought them for their Sport?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Since they sold two previous Vesuvious models for $20K-25K over MSRP already... I'd say their pricing is correct for the market. :surprise: Yes, unbelievable. I bet the one you saw is already gone by now...

Welcome to basic supply/demand.
  • sundarsvssundarsvs Member Posts: 2
    I bought a RR Sport in Sept with the Luxury package and it has less than 3 k miles on it. When it slows down the parking sensor keeps ringing even if there are no cars around and often disengages the transmission. The only fix is to put it into reverse go some distance and then try drive again. The dealer said the s/w showed low battery where there was none and has not been able to get to the bottom of this. Any one else have this issue?

Thanks
    The front PDC sensors sometimes seem to have a "life of their own" and can be triggered at low speed or while stationary by a passing truck, a stray leaf, a bit of mud on one of the sensors, even some flying dust. However, they definitely would not "disengage the transmission", regardless of how close to a wall they think you may be. I also don't see the alleged relation between a low battery and your transmission problem, although anything is possible with today's electronics... Check the obvious stuff by yourself first (transmission fluid level in particular), and then take the car back to the dealer for a more accurate diagnosis. It is definitely not a common issue in this car.
  • mrblackmrblack Member Posts: 2
    I need help guys. I have been offered a RRS S/C at a good price. The catch is however that it is a used vehicle and when I mean used it has been used as a test machine for journalists in Europe. I have seen all the pictures of these mud tracks and the like and it does not look good. Am I crazy to think about a machine that has been abused in that manner. It is however under full warranty.
    I am about 95% sure that the sport does not have a dipstick to check the tranny level. I am at home right now so I can't go pop the hood and check.

The transmission does shift into neutral whenever you come to a complete stop, for more then so many seconds, to save gas though. I wonder if maybe for some reason your transmission is not goign back into drive when you hit the gas.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    I have the "sensors with a life of their own problem," but it does not disengage the transmission. I called to have the fault serviced, but my dealer has about a month wait on service appointments. I hope that is a reflection of problems with past models and not ours! Anyway, I do seem to recall that one of the GTR site service bulletins talks about reprogramming the sensors to get around a known problem with them.

Good luck!
    Your RRS is probably already "reprogrammed" -- the new PDC activation trigger is more speed based, the original was triggered by you stopping and didn't always work. I don't think any RRS that made it to North America has the "old" logic... but I could be wrong.
  • tallwoodstallwoods Member Posts: 11
    Anaheim Hills (Southern California) Land Rover has a somewhat tricked out RRS Supercharged in that Orange color, that's listed over $100k, including a $20k dealer markup.

It's shameful.
    I think yes, it has been abused, but at the same time, it's probably also received excellent attention from LL factory mechanics while it was a test mule. Personally, I would jump at the opportunity, but that's because I can't afford one of these right now, though I am desperate to find a way!
    I'm told that in the next few months a few dealer demo RRS models might start hitting the "pre-owned" inventory.

I would love to find one of these. Anyone have any leads or suggestions?

While I'm at it, my ideal version of the RRS is one without a sunroof, and quite possibly even the V6 model, with any exterior color (they are all beautiful), but no black interiors (too hot in Southern California for black leather!).

Is there is a "Wanted" classified section?

Regards,

NW
    Forbes Test Drive: 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE

Link:
    http://www.forbes.com/2005/12/30/rangerover-sport-review-cx_dl_0103test_ls.html
    Err they do not make the RRS with a V6 in the US. The only V6 models are diesel models sold in europe. I think you can also get one without a sunroof there as well. The car you want does not exist in the US.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a Free Price Quote link on the main Edmunds.com page you could use to try to track down a demo.

Steve, Host
  • mrblackmrblack Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I am in the same boat as you. I need to find a way to get them a bit cheaper but that is also because I am located in Europe and they are much more expensive here than in the US. The truck is scheduled to arrive next week. I hope it looks as good as the dealer has indicated. I just received note that it is a fully loaded 1st edition.
    Perhaps you can bag one of these after the Prince is done with his holiday:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108683
  • sundarsvssundarsvs Member Posts: 2
    Just got the car back from the dealer and its now working well.. apparently the problem was that the s/w was corrupted when new parameters were automatically entered during the auto- customization and was sending error messages . Apparently its very rare but the good news is the car is better than when I first got it.

Thanks for all your input
    FYI. The GoClaws company said that the 255/50/19 size is in-between their two sized offerings and wouldn't fit so I ended up going with Z-Chains. After ordering and trying the recommended Z-571 size for the 255/50/19 I found that they were one size too small and exchanged for the R-575's. They fit just fine on the back tires.

I talked to the manufacturer of the Z-Chains and they said tire companies in general are pushing their +4%/-3% allowed limits of leeway in sizing more & more. They're getting more complaints about chains not fitting according to their guidelines now than they use to. This and the originally recommended Z-Chain not fitting makes me wonder if the larger GoClaws might have fit after all. :D
    Ouch. They really didn't like it much did they? They didn't say it, but having owned both a 2003 RR and now a Sport the one thing aesthetically that really sets them apart is how much dead tree there is inside. The knobs are just as plastic in the big RR, but the Sport & LR3 have more of them because the radio is in a separate unit as opposed to the all-in-one touch screen of the RR.

In the end I figure Forbes just likes dead tree over the smarter handling of the Sport. :)

On a seperate issue. Did anyone catch the MotorWeek (PBS) review of the new Rovers? http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2505b.shtml

The 20 foot extra stopping distance the RRS (145') had over the big RR (125') was a bit surprising. And the RRS they tested was the Supercharged with the Brembo's.
    They must have screwed up something or perhaps that particular car had brakes that were shot.

Edmunds recorded 114 feet and that is in line with other magazines publications as well.
  • surftillsunrissurftillsunris Member Posts: 1
    I've got a supercharged limited and i've looked everywhere for a dog guard to keep the pups in the back, but i can only find the giant one from land rover that forces you to put the seats down to use. Then yesterday i saw one that just hooked over the back seats but didn't have the silly looking bars that you screw to fit against the roof, does anyone know where this guy found his?
  • deanna529deanna529 Member Posts: 1
    you should be able to go to a land rover dealership or maybe online for vehicle kits through land rover northamerica ...
    there is a dog guard that clips to the top right behind the seats and screws to the side to adjust pressure to hold it in. You can take it out pretty easily.

let me know if you find it ...i will look on land rover web site...i work at a dealership and have installed a few ..
    i think it is like $600 dollars..
    good luck

deanna
  • lcrosselcrosse Member Posts: 1
    I love my RRS. Traded in an XC90 fot it(awful turbo lag) and what a difference! Complete pleasure to drive. But I am having problems with some of the electrics. Dipping side mirrors often don't come back up automatically; warning lights come on for no reasons and all dials on the dash have previously stopped working. Any one having similar problems
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    My blade split. Of course, I have to go to the dealer to replace it.

Has anyone had trouble with the blades wearing early?
  • irfansirfans Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased a RRS 2006 and i love it so far. The only weird thing is that once in a while, while driving a single ring tone will sound. Sometimes I think it is associated with the snowflake appearing on the temp screen, sometimes it is just random... I dont think it is the park distance control b/c it will happen while I am moving.

Any ideas?
    Could be the air suspension auto lowering or raising if you had it in access or off road mode. Could be the PDC going off randomly if you are moving slow enough.
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    I get a tone every time the outside temperature drops below 40, 30, or 20. Is this it?
  • plisken1plisken1 Member Posts: 13
    I recently purchased a RRS Supercharged. I love everything about it. However, I was debating on whether to install a back-up camera within the nav. system. Any recommendations on brands to go with? Thank you.
  • ontariordontariord Member Posts: 3
    I turned on the engine of my supercharged RRS and "temperature error...shutting down" message showed up on my nav screen. It remains there (even after I've turned the engine on and off)and the touch screen controls don't work.

Any idea what it means and how to get rid of it?

Thanks.
    Andrew
  • twigglesworthtwigglesworth Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I are in the market for a new vehicle and like the RR Sport or LR3. However, many of the reviews have been mixed. In reading the discussions here, there is talk of suspension problems and electrical. We even had a chance to speak with the service folks and a gentleman was not complimentary to the RR Sport. Same issues. We presently own a 4 Runner and Mercedes - been extremely pleased with the quality and workmanship. Looking for feedback as to whether others are experiencing similar problems with either vehicles since their purchase. Don’t want to be stuck with a high end vehicle that is constantly in the shop.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem (though nothing on the screen, just erratic tones). Turned out to be a loose park distance control sensor.
  • doctrixdoctrix Member Posts: 30
    I've had my RRS SC for about 8K miles without any problems. Best vehicle I have ever owned...