Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I don't understand your question.

By HSE do you mean the full size Traditonal Range Rover?
    If so then yes the Range Rover Sport drives a good bit different then the full size Range Rover. They weigh about the same, the sport is a couple of hundred pounds lighter depending on options, but the sport it much lower to the ground.

The roll center on the spot is a bit higher and the center of gravity is a bit lower. The sport drives a bit more like a very heavy sports sedan and the Range Rover well...

I can't really compare the drive of the Range Rover to any other vehicle on earth that I have ever driven. You sit up very high, higher then most trucks, but the ride, steering response and acceleration are more like a large luxury sedan.

Even a shart turn in a full sized range rover at speed does not really feel that dramatic.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I'm sorry I didn't make it clear- I meant to compare the Range Rover Sport to the Lexus RX330, which my wife has now.

Thanks anyway!

If the normal Range Rover can't be touched by other SUVs in terms of performance, there is one truck that is about as good on the inside- the Lexus LX470. The interior materials, quality and design are impeccable, and it feels much more luscious, due to the less-modernized design and softer seats.

However, my wife and I test drove an RR Sport HSE the other day- and I sat in the normal Range Rover in the showroom. Gorgeous! Can't imagine the sticker shock, though...
    Well the RX330 is probably a little quicker to accelerate because it is so much lighter even though it has less horespower.

I am not going to get into a discussion about lexus design but to me they are just boring cars. No soul at all.

For long distance highway driving I think the Sport is a much better vehicle. All that weight does have its advantages. If you are used to the RX330 though I think you might get frustrated with it in stop and go city driving. It has plenty of power and brakes to move well in city traffic but all of that weight gives you a severe gas mileage penalty in stop and go traffic.
    The RX isn't very light on gas either. Even though my wife drives as slow as she does, the RX gets a paltry 18mpg. I'd expect the Range Rover Sport HSE to deliver 16mpg- seeing as it gets 14 miles in the city and 19 on the highway.

Also, I'm the city driver- not her. And the S4 Cabriolet does bad enough in the city, thank you! I average 15mpg on a regular basis!

;)

As for the RX having no soul, I completely agree. The engine can have heart if you push it though, and the car is probably the easiest to live with I've ever owned.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • asingal1asingal1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,

New here and getting close to buying a RRS Supercharged.

The MSRP is something like 71,050 - wanted to know if there
    is ANY room for negotiation with these guys?

I live in MD.

The edmunds site shows that the "TMV" <-- what others are paying in our area is $68,500 (or something)...is that for real?

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TMV is based on real transactions, among other things:

"The TMV price takes into account a number of factors, including the vehicle's invoice price, its manufacturer's suggested retail price, the current supply and demand for the vehicle, the vehicle's relative brand strength and actual transaction price data."

How We Calculate New TMV® Prices

Steve, Host
  • heli_docheli_doc Member Posts: 3
    :surprise: I got my RRS SC on MArch 11th

within 2 weeks the car would lean to the right, dealer said it was the self levelling suspension

I changed the cars direction inthe garden and the car still listed to the right.

I drove the car back to dealer and they replaced an air-spring.

within 2 days of me geting car back, the car listed to the right again. This time i asked them to flat bed the car back to the dealer and asked them to fix it properly.

they did it and were very polite about all the interactions.

Very happy with my dealership in North Carolina.

ANyone else get a black RRS-SC- did you get lots of scratches on the car on delivery- my dealer said they could not buff them out- I really was disappointed with the finish.

BUt I love the car. waited 14yrs to get one
  • jinpowerjinpower Member Posts: 17
    I just put a deposit down on a new RRS HSE which I pick up this Saturday. I have to drive 300 miles to pick it up since my local dealer was out of stock. The local dealer told me I would lose the benefit of getting a loaner car if I ever have to bring the car in for work to be done on it. Do any of you know if this is true, or is he just trying to make me wait and purchse it locally? Do you guys think it is a bad idea to buy a car from a dealer 300 miles away? Do you think I would receive a lower level of service? How about people who move from state to state who have no choice? Isn't the sales and service department seperate? How would they even know??? Thanks for your replys.
    Warrant Work,

Do you mind me asking what you paid? Im about to get one as well and I want to know if they deal at all? Did you pay the MSRP?

Thanks
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    Loaner policy is up to each individual dealer. When service creates an RO, the salesman's name is printed on it. Also, we can go online with the last 8 numbers of the VIN and get a complete history. I personal hate it when our service department gives a loaner to someone who bought elsewhere in our market.
    To answer those with TMV on Supercharged Sport, I don't know of any dealer who is selling them below MSRP - we can't get the cars.
    We have a couple of people who bought cars out of market because we just could not get a vehicle for them. They wanted Superchaged Range Rovers and Sports in Black Black only and we could not get any.

They bought elsewhere but they both asked me to show them how the stuff worked in their cars since the Rover dealer they bought them from just shipped them to them.

They paid me a fair amount of money to basicly do a traditional style deliver for them and go over all of the cars featured.

Neither one of them has brought a car in for service yet but if they did and they needed a loaner car I would ensure that they got one.

Anyone else would be on their own unless they bought out of state and them moved into the area later. We give them loaner cars on a first come first served basis.

The only supercharged Sport we have on the ground came in a couple of weeks ago and we won't get another one till july.

Side note:

LRguy I sent you an email about your last order call a while ago to see how you did. We were pleasently suprised by what LRNA gave us how did you guys do? Shoot me an email if you don't mind.
  • msenzakimsenzaki Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2006 RRS HSE and was wondering if anyone had a set of the 20" supercharged wheels. I was going to do 22" aftermarket wheels but the car is driven by my wife and she is opposed to the big wheels. You can shoot me an email if you are interested.
    I am down to one car and needed the car now for my wife. I have no option in waiting until they get more in stock locally. I believe they should offer a free loaner car if I needed it even if I purchase it out of town. I know BMW and Mercedes would do it. I believe Land Rover should understand that all Land Rover owners are there customers no matter where it was purchased. Having a happy customer today could mean potential business for them in the future. Plus, the service department makes money off warranty work don't they?? Hopefully, I won't even have to take the car in for overnight work. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As to a discount. Yes, very little. But, my car is not a SC. Dealers seem to not want to really negotiate on these cars.

Thanks for all your replys. Much appreciated.
    Does anyone have 22" custom wheels on their RRSport? How is the ride? Any photos around to share with us? Can anyone recommend any custom 22" wheels/tires? How much can I expect to pay? What tires are the best bang for the buck? Also, does anyone know where you can get the silver side vents (like the SC's) for a HSE model? How about a white side marker (blinker)? Thanks again.
    The side vent on the Range Rover Sport is standard on the HSE model, jin.

;)

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG &#149; '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet &#149; '04 Lexus RX 330

My car:
    /Users/quattro91292/Desktop/Audi S4 Convertible - 1.JPG
    OOO man, is it a BEAUTY. The color is the rimini red (I think I spelled that right). The car is absolutely amazing. I was lucky they acually had the exact one I wanted at a local dealer...

AND the dealer gave me a small deal on it (almost $900 below MSRP).

What I really love is when I'm driving down the street and people actually point at the car and awe...haha man what a beauty.
    Yes, I too adore the looks of the Range Rover Sport- even the normal HSE version is arguably the best-looking SUV on the road (along with the Supercharged).

Did you get the standard 20s, or the optional wheels? I think the standard Supercharged rims are gorgeous enough.

How does it drive? I hope you push it! I was looking at the Range Rover Sport to replace my wife's Lexus, but she feels a bit uncomfortable driving it, so we're most likely getting a Mercedes-Benz E-Class (the updated 2007 version)- and we can't decide whether to get the E350 4Matic of the E550 4Matic.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG &#149; '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet &#149; '04 Lexus RX330
    BTW...

The only reasons we wouldn't get the E550:

1. Gets very pricey with options

2. It could be a bit too much for her- she doesn't drive fast, and it would be embarrassing to say she has more horsepower than me!

Again, any RR Sport is gorgeous... I stop and admire every time I see one- and I can't wait to see the new Audi Q7 on the road; it's supposed to be striking.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG &#149; '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet &#149; '04 Lexus RX330
    I saw a Q7 in white and it looked like Moby Dick. Seriously it looked like a beached whale.
    esf...yes I know the side vents are on all Range Rover Sport models. But, the SC versions all have silver front grills and side vents which I think look more aggressive. I just picked up my Bonatti Gray RRS and it is awesome! Everyone loves it. My wife is uncomfortable driving it as well but loves it. I'm certain she will get comfortable with it soon. You need to talk your wife in to getting one. You will be missing out. But, the Mercedes are nice too.
    Hey esf,

Yeap, great car indeed - still elated every time I step into it. To be honest, I don't think it's hit me yet that it's MINE :)

I got the standard 20s that come with the Supercharged, I wasn't even aware that there were upgrade rims for that. Those same rims are $4k for the HSE from what I understand.

As for pushing it, not yet, I was specifically told to lay off until I hit 1,500 miles to give the car a chance to "break-in." I'm at 204 miles and counting :D
    Are you British? I know how harsh you guys are, about almost everything... (not to offend)

Other people, who have gone to Audi's "Streets of Tomorrow" event (pretty sure it's only in America), have said that the Q7 (parked next to an X5 and an XC90 that Audi brought in for comparison) said that it is the best-looking SUV yet- and white isn't a very flattering color for most SUVs.

It's supposed to look quite good in black, especially with the 19" wheels and the Sport Package.

I'm still thinking about talking my wife into getting the Range Rover Sport... I love it, my son loves it, and my daughter loves it; my wife just feels uncomfortable. She will be, however, taking it for a 24-hour test drive later in the year to see if she will like it.

Just to let you guys know: the 2007 E, at least to me, is a significant improvement in terms of looks. The old one was getting tired and mundane, but the new bodykit/lights/rims really freshen it up- and the Sport Package on the new one looks absolutely fantastic!!! (polished 10-spoke rims, AMG-style rear bumper and large chrome exhausts, classier front end)
    I've seen more Range Rover Sports lately- but I never get tired of them. Those cars have an air of elegance, athleticism, superiority even- and I can't get over it. I'm pretty sure the E, with options, is a bit more money than the Range Rover Sport, which makes the Mercedes look like a bad deal (as usual).

I think the Range Rover Sport looks best at both ends of the spectrum- in lighter colors, such as Giverny Green and Arctic Frost, and darker colors like that gorgeous gray, and of course, black.
  • tpacar79tpacar79 Member Posts: 23
    I just recently this month took delivery of my RRS HSE. I currently live in Tampa and Atlanta (mostly). If you live in Atlanta you will know that Hennesey owns all three nearby dealerships. I had my list of color combos but the top choice (after alot of thought) was Giverny Green with Ivory lthr w/the LUX pkg, rear TV's, SAT, and the phone. I figured I wanted to get exactly what I wanted since I am spending a large sum of cash. I also qualified for X plan (if you work for a "vendor" of Ford and on the RRS that means a $3600 discount off of MSRP). I ended up buying the car from Reeves in Tampa as they had the exact color combo in stock! Very rare. I flew down and then drove back to Atlanta. (It was actually cheaper to do that then have it shipped)

I will tell you that this color combo is perhaps the most elegant, richest, custom looking of the line. It looks as though it was designed to get oooo's and aahh's. Nothing pops more than the green dash and bottom door panels and white interior, roof and door sides which are tastefully done but extremly hard to keep clean.

I did have a few things wrong with the car however at the day of delivery. One of the rear seat TVs had a pixel out and required replacement, the alignment was way off, and the car vibrated at 50mph. They aligned the wheels, fixed that problem. The TV was replaced at the local dealer once I got back to Atlanta but the vibration still exists...Reeves balanced all four wheels and Henessey has done the same but to no avail...I called up Continental and they referred me to the nearest dealer. They said although nothing is physically wrong with the tire itself, they are crummy tires and you will always have this problem (he said he gets alot of Land Rovers as most dont notice until after many miles and then Land Rover takes no fault). But i have had this problem since delivery so I am requesting new brand of tires as I just paid $65k, my car shouldnt vibrate. Do others have this problem???? Not getting a loaner is true unless you buy the car from that dealer. Once this is fixed and resolved I have no issues as the car is a joy to drive otherwise but I warn you a guy named Darryl at Land Rover CS was saying I would be repsonsible for milage on the tires and I argued not if its been like this since delivery and I am not. Avoid him, he is pompass. Hopefully Land Rover will move to Michelins and ditch Continental, they are cheap.
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    Does Rover offer one that I am not aware of? or have you ever hard of talks to put one in place??

I've done European Delivery thru BMW and its what keeps me going back for more. Euro Delv programs were basically pioneered to introduce brands to the US market and then I believe, evolved into a loyalty program which certainly has me hooked.
    They don't but I am sure they will offer one in the future. Volvo has one so no reason why one for Land Rover could not be developed.
  • samphoebe1samphoebe1 Member Posts: 13
    I live in the Atlanta area and use Verizon Wireless as my cell phone provider. I am getting a Range Rover Sport with bluetooth and wondered what type/model of cell phone do people recommend buying. I do realize that I will not be able to dock my phone in the car however. Thanks.
  • samphoebe1samphoebe1 Member Posts: 13
    What is the difference in the side vents on the SC and the HSE Range Rover Sport? Thanks.
  • plisken1plisken1 Member Posts: 13
    Verizon Wireless is my carrier as well. I have a Motorola Razr and it works great with my Bluetooth system in my Range Rover Sport Supercharged. No dock is needed. The only problem I've encountered is call waiting - I keep getting disconnected when trying to pick-up incoming calls when talking to someone. Others on the forum have mentioned a similar problem. Other than that, it's great.
  • rnzrangernzrange Member Posts: 3
    I have the same car, same phone. When I pick up call waiting, I always use my actual phone rather than the car feature and don't have a problem. :)
    Just an FYI for all you Range Rover Sport owners. My hooptie has been in the shop over a month, had a bad oil leak (it is 4 months old) so I took it in. I was told on "some" models they are seeing this problem, a crack in something in the engine (sorry guys I'm a girl so...). Anyways, my car has been in the shop for 32 days and counting, had to get a new engine. Love the car, but this blows. If anyone else has this problem it is more common than not in this new model. :lemon:
  • uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    http://www.cecwheels.com/search/results_media_library.sd?keyword=range+rover+spo- rt
    They have a lot of wheels for the RRS. I'm gonna be getting some 22's in a few weeks from them. Talk to John Iskarous, he is my contact thier always gives me good deals when I purchase wheels from him.
    Also check out www.projectkahn.com I'm not sure where there shops are located I think in the U.K. somewhere but there RRS looks amazing,
  • uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    I dont have them yet, but should be getting some soon. I road in a supercharged on 22's ride was smooth. Becouse of the air-suspension the larger wheels dont effect the ride much.
  • plisken1plisken1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the tip mzrange.
  • twigglesworthtwigglesworth Member Posts: 3
    We purchased our RR Sport over a month ago. I noticed immediately some strange noises coming from under the hood. Sounds as if the metal is heating up and expanding, but continues to get loader and loader when driving or stopped at a light. I've noticed it on other cars but it's typically after been driving a while and just turned the car off - sort of settling. Not sure if this makes sense but wondering if this is normal.
  • rrscrrsc Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Range Rover Sport SC for about 3 months. I too have heard the noises you describe but attribute it to the heat shields around the exhaust expanding/contracting. I only hear these noises after turning the car off. Love this vehicle!
  • rastacanerastacane Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to go about hooking up an ipod to the RRS? What cables are necessary in order to connect the iPod to the auxillary output in the rear seat area?

Thanks. :confuse:
    I completely LOVE those colors- those are the ones my wife wants if she gets this vehicle.

But, we are also seriously considering that mystical burnt red color, over a normal beige interior. That is also a looker.

What I love about this car is that it even looks amazing in black and silver- and always catches my eye.

The only option you have that we wouldn't get would be the rear DVD Player. We already have a portable one, so I don't see the point.

Also, for anyone here who has a Lexus, or had a Lexus- is the reliability on the Range Rover Sport HSE much worse than on an avg Lexus? This is the big worry for me right now. I love the way the SUV looks- even nicer looking than the timeless X5. But, if it breaks down or a large malfunction appears in the first few months, I'm buying a Cayenne S.

BTW- We're not getting a new car until January, so I'm still thinking about colors on all the cars we're looking at. Don't need advice now.
    Let me know what wheels and tire package you go with. Does anyone know if putting on after market 20"-22" wheels effects the warranty? Has anyone with a regular RRS HSE put chrome exhaust tips on their car? If yes, where did you purchase them? I love the look of the RRS SC's rear exhaust tips, they look very aggressive. Thanks.
    I've had mine for about a month and have the same noises coming from the car when I shut it off. It seems to be going away a little quicker than before. I always thought it was just the car cooling down. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal and that it should stop after about 3 months or 3k miles.
  • btdylanbtdylan Member Posts: 3
    Have been an owner of a RRSS for five months. Must say, with all my reluctancy to buy a RR, after 5K no problems, not even a squeek. GOD BLESS!!!! I must be lucky (so far) or they are actually building a better car.
    JT
    Pa
  • yooper57yooper57 Member Posts: 2
    What modifications are coming in 2007? Is it worth the wait? Will dealers deal at year-end on '06's? Thanks-I live in OC/LA area.
  • mhuynh78mhuynh78 Member Posts: 1
    All you need is a double male 1/8" audio cable, plug one end into the Aux in the center console and plug the other in the earphone jack on your ipod. set the radio to aux and you're set.
    The reliability is very poor. Ask anyone who has one for more than a year. I have a new engine after 4 months and the computer always goes out. I guess if we lived in africa or some jungle the ride great and last forever, I think they are built for that only. Please don't buy one unless you have a lot of extra time for service and a lot of extra cash when that warranty runs out. :lemon:
  • rdnycrdnyc Member Posts: 7
    I've seen two HSE's with SC exhaust tips and was wondering where they got them?

I finally got my replacement Sport HSE after the collapse of the suspension in my first car. So far (3k miles) and no problems except an occasional slipping in first gear with the auto box.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!
    There were a couple of thousand HSE sports built with SC exhaust tips when they ran out of regular exhaust at the factory or because of a mistake I am not sure what.

We got a bulletion on that a few months ago.
  • rdnycrdnyc Member Posts: 7
    can they be retro fitted?
    Don't know probably as they are just tips. Just cut off the factory exhaust and weld the tips on.
  • vigneronvigneron Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if this issue has been resolved. My RRS is at the dealer for the same steering wheel vibration/shimmy. This is now the 4th time in for service with no resolution. Any-one else with this problem?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    if you are not working, on speed channel show 'unique whips', thy are going to modify a 'RR Sport' for a major league pitcher.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert