Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I agree, that Marks experience is VERY unique. First of all, it's not common to think someone would buy 27 cars of the same make (VW/Audi), especially from the same dealer/Owner. It sounds like you have a great relationship that has benefited both the customer AND the dealership.

From my experience, the relationship you state you have with the owner/dealer is very RARE. I would imagine 98% of consumers never ever see the owner (let alone the manager) of a dealership during their purchasing experience. AND, if a customer attempts to be loyal to one dealership, that always doesn't mandate you are getting the best price in town.

Unfortunately, it only takes one bad experience to sour someone on car buying experience.

I recently went shopping with my In-Laws to purchase a new '06 Equinox. We went into the dealer on a Fri and talked with the internet sales Mgr. We told him what we were looking for as far as price, options and time frame. After "discussing" the details with the Sales Manager (and actually him coming in and introducing himself to us) the sales rep came back and said he could do the deal we were looking for, he shook our hands and he said he would find the exact car my Mother-in-law was looking for. The next Tues we went into the dealer, drove the car they found for her and all was PERFECT! In-Laws filled out some paperwork and we waited for the Finance Manager (for over an hour - the place was EMPTY). I asked about the delay and the sales guy said the county that my in laws are from was not in their system (this wa as complete LIE-their county was within 10 miles of there dealership).

Finally, we get into the finance mgrs office and the amount per month we agreed upon mysteriously increased over $225 and the price of the car increased by $4K. When asked about the increase, he asked what we were looking for and I told him the story. He shrugged his shoulders (VERY RUDE) and said that the deal was not doable and he would get the sales Mgr who we spoke with earlier to come in. The mgr came in and started his double speak routine. I asked him to slow down and explain why our agreement was not doable as was promised. He had no valid answer. I told him I appreciated that they couldn't get to the numbers we were looking for, but it was inexcusable for them to come back and completely LIE to use and WASTE our time when they knew, from the beginning, that they could never get to the numbers we were aiming for. He said, "then I guess we are done here". We left and I was FURIOUS about the entire situation...... I was shaking. :blush: :mad:

My point about this lengthy post is, unfortunately, this experience will make me very "on guard" when I am buying my next car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I understand now :)
  • chindia76chindia76 Member Posts: 9
    It is situations like Fish has described above that have led me to always pay cash if possible. I am not a wealthy person and saving to buy a car outright is tough, but after a few bad experiences I just can't be bothered to go through the BS that most dealers try to get away with. I think back to the very first brand new car I bought at 18. I had no credit, not bad credit, just no credit. My ex-friend worked at a car dealership. I purchased a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire (first mistake). I wanted black, but former salesman ex-friend talked me in to this horrible purple color which I paid extra for (2nd mistake)! I can't remember what the interest rate was all I know was the sticker price was $15,000 and after all the interest payments were made I would have paid a total of over $28,000! I had another friend at the same dealership who later informed me I had been approved for a much lower interest rate, but the ex-friend didn't disclose this to me because the higher the rate the more money he would make from Chrysler Financial for arranging the financing. My car payment was close to$500 a month. If the other rate had been disclosed to me my payment would have been slightly under $300 which when you are 18 and in college is a huge difference. I blame myself for being uneducated and naive in the process however it became apparent to me with this experience that car dealers and salesmen are not people to be trusted unless on the rare occasion like Mark they have repeatedly been treated well. I just think when you go into a dealership and let them start figuring out financing the ball is alot more in their court because they know if you have sat down to arrange financing the chances of you leaving because you aren't liking the deal grow slimmer. People don't want the hassle of going through the finance process more then once. I have described just one of many instances where I have been treated poorly by salesmen, but I think you will get the point on why I have been so soured by the process.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .should do what they are comfortable with.

As I said, there is a better than even chance the price will be lower when the car is financed.

These days, below market rate financing seems to encourage (and even reward) those who do NOT pay cash.

This, however, does not cancel out the first point.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    A friend of mine told me about his BIL's experience. He was young and wanted to buy a Corvette. He went to the local dealer and told them he wanted to buy the car and because of his age they blew him off thinking he couldn't possibly be serious. Well he was serious, so he went to another dealer in another town, bought the car and drove it directly back to the dealership here, handed them the keys and said, "I'd like an oil change." :P
  • larmenlarmen Member Posts: 22
    with inflation looming and upward pressure on interest rates and when non-american badges such as Subara and VW offer subsidized financing for 100% of the sale price [Subaru in 2005 for 2.9 and VW in '06 for 5.9] you have to wonder, even if you can afford to, if paying cash is worth it.
    This could open up a debate -- or just plain contradiction.

I, however, agree with your point/question.

The most wealthy folks I know buy their cars with the longest term, lowest interest rate possible (often 0%.)

Even when they have paid 1.9% or even a bit more, they have always managed to figure the benefit of financing and have often said "I can't afford to pay cash, it just costs so much more."

Of course my CPA friend says, "buy what appreciates and rent what depreciates" -- which is the opposite of The American Way.

One more thing -- do what makes you feel "at peace"
  • kzamelkzamel Member Posts: 11
    I just test drove both the 2.0T & 3.6 2006 Passat. It's a relatively warm day here and I visited the dealership in the early afternoon. I loved the car but was concerned that it took the air condition a long while to start getting comfortable. I was surprised when the sales rep stated that VW passat's air condition is weak compared to most other comparable cars. Should I be concerned? Thanks
    in the past couple of weeks I've spent a fair amount of time driving my '06 in Indiana, Ohio, and PA. the weather has been sultry: 80-90s with high humidity. I've spent hours driving interstates averaging 65-80 mph and in so doing I've been averaging 28-32 mpg with the AC on. While it does take a little while to get the ac up to where you want it for my taste it is NOT weak; rather, it is perfectly acceptable. so i don't see the passat ac as a deal-breaker.
    Salesrep: open mouth, insert foot.

What in the wide wide world of sports was he thinking?

I must assume the VW Passat uses something that is very similar to Audis AC units. And, this is the warmest summer (and I think the muggiest) in recorded history.

So, what does this mean?

The AC units in these German cars are wicked powerful.

I guess it is technically possible that the Passat is under AC'd.

I just don't believe it is probable.

My 2005 A6's climate control is set on full auto, center vent +1 or +2 cold, and I leave the recirc set on full auto too. All vents -- front and rear -- are in full open.

I keep the temp set at 67F year round.

Due to the extreme humidity, I have been forced to raise the temp to 70 from time to time, because it gets so cold inside the car that all the plastic, metal and glass get condensation on them from the ultra high OHIO humidity.

Most of the time, though, the AC takes care of everything and this is the first car that I have had that they must have figured out what to do to eliminate the AC odor upon start up. Somehow the mold in the pipes that causes this odor has been discouraged.

Same is true of my wife's 2005 BMW X3.

VW's, in my experience, have great AC.

Somebody put that VW rep in the time out chair.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    I have been driving the 2.0T is 90-100 F temps in NYC. I have found the system to be fine after I discovered that the vents in the glove compartment box, center console and rear seat console were taking away from the front power. When I closed them all was so much better. Also, FYI I discovered that I could move the dial between upper vent and lower vents and have the air come out from both upper and lower.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I agree totally with Mark about the VW rep. But I'd go a step further and fire him if I were his GM and found out he said something so stupid to a customer. You always brag on your product, and when it comes to cars you only berate a model to get the customer to step up to the next higher priced model.

As far as the A/C goes, our car is black with black interior and we live in South Mississippi, and the A/C works GREAT! Our afternoon highs have been in the upper 90's to low 100's lately and if you leave the sunroof or a window cracked to let some of the heat out, it hasn't been a problem. AND, if the car has been sitting in the shade the air is cool the instant you turn it on.
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    Glad to hear that the B-6 Passat AC is good. The weak AC in my B-5 Passat was one of the very few things I did not like about that car.
  • prasannprasann Member Posts: 6
    While I'm generally satistifed with my 06 Passat 2.0T performance, I'm terribly disappointed with the cabin noise. I hear squeaks/clicks/rattles from every corner (dashboard/controls/doors/passenger side seat...) when I hit smallest of the rough patches. Even on a very smooth surface, I can hear this wind noise coming out of the driver side window (above 60/65 mph) which tells me something isn't sealed properly. Anyone having similar issues?
    While fit and finish are visually excellent VW needs to improve noise-suppression. While overall my O6 is certainly not as tight or as quiet as a Lexus it is not objectionably annoying.
  • asefasef Member Posts: 12
    I have a very similar wind noise at freeway speeds on my 07 Wagon 2.0T -- passenger side only, like you said. And I also have various random squeaks (like the "cricket" noise mentioned elsewhere that seemed to have something to do with the backseats). They're subtle, mostly, but the perfectionist in me can't help but notice them!
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    The much noisier ride is one of the principal reasons I did not replace my 2000 Passat wagon with an 06/07 wagon.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    I hope the CEO of VW of America and VW Worldwide reads my post and all the other posts from unhappy Passat owners. My wife and I purchased a 2007 VW Passat Wagon 3.6 4-Motion with Luxury Package 2.

I only have 600 miles on the car and it has been in the shop for almost a total of 14 days. If anyone has read my earlier post, it becomes quite obvious what kind of vehicle I'm dealing with. The car is unsafe to put it frankly.

My "ride" started off with the following:
    1. creaks and rattles from the B-Pillar in the driver's side door. OUTCOME: After 4 attempts to fix and locate the problem the Dealer removed and reinstalled rear door panels and lubricated door seals.

2. Slow air leak from front right tire. Dealer patched tire. Dealer pointed finger at me. The tech who serviced the car found a screw from a AUTOMOBILE DEALERSHIP license plate bracket. In addition, all other tires were overinflated.

3. The car at 350 miles was difficult to start. The refused to crank over on various occassions. A warning light and message appeared on the dash display. MY wife and I looked for the warning in the auto literature but nowhere to be found. OUTCOME: Dealer replaced battery.

4. Car leaked oil at approx 250-300 miles. Car spent 7 days in dealership before dealer and VW could diagnose and fix problem.
    Outcome: Oil leaking from high pressure fuel pump. Replaced Cam Roller and Fuel Pump.

5. Car has delayed acceleration/pause when starting at standstill and when rolling. Outcome: Service technician experienced acceleration delay during test drive. No codes detected per dealer service department. Dealer placed call to VW to try and solve this issue.

6. Drum roll please....Car stalled on freeway today. Attempted to restart car for fifteen minutes on side of road. Restarted car after 15 minutes. This is very scary. Called dealer to make appt.

I need a full time job just to take care of this car. I have kept very detailed documentation from day one regarding the poor customer service from my local dealer and poor quality from VW.
    Why don't you write them directly with your complaints?
  • gruaud54gruaud54 Member Posts: 4
    My new Passat Wagon (Luxpak#2, Dynaudio) has the intermitent interior squeaks and rattles described by others. Dynaudio has "surged" a time or two (become very loud for a couple of seconds; AC "surges" on occasion also. Has the minor hesitation on acceleration (I guess it's the turbo). I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow. That being said, the vehicle rides and handles excellently with enough power for my driving habits. I also have a 2005 GTi and a 2005 Passat (both 1.8T tiptronic) -- both vehicles tight and not troublesome. I hope the new wagon is not an ongoing aggravation/recall-in-waiting.
  • carcurious2carcurious2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I am looking to lease a 2006 VW Passat ~ msrp $24,655, doing 48 months to keep my payments low. mileage 15,000. I was given the following from my dealer: dealer cost: 23,128. They said the money factor would be .00153 which translate to 3.67 interest. first they said it would be $333 per month, then down to $322 ~ i'm looking to go down even more. Don't need the extras. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm not the best negotiator. So any thoughts would be awesome. thank you for being available! i am planning to meet with a dealer tomorrow. i just learned about you guys last night!
    I bought my passat for dealer invoice. with the new model year lurking in the shadows I would find out what invoice is for the car you're looking at and negotiate down from that price. use the edmunds site to find out invoice and any tips regarding leasing. also, certainly there are others who post at this site who have been successful leasing and will advise you as well. good luck!
  • fbaroja1fbaroja1 Member Posts: 4
    Looking at same car; Edmunds test drives say they averaged 16 mpg, you say 32. Any thoughts or guidance. I LOVE the car, but am concerned with problems, etc.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should also ask this here: Volkswagen Passat: Lease Questions. Good luck - let us know how it goes!
  • jpi2jpi2 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if the 6th gear is activated in the "Sport" (not "D"...Drive) mode? The highest I could achieve was 5th.

Also, does anyone know the actual percentage of the tinting in/on the windows from the VW factory on the 2006 VW Passat 3.6? Even though, in MD, legal is 35%, it would be interesting to know what came from the factory. Even the small percentage that is there.
    I've just test drove Passat 2.0T with package 2 for the 3rd time. I like much the feel behind the steering wheel and love the exterior design that makes it a distiguished car compared to other Japanese and even german cars. I was too concerned about the aircondition when I drove it 1st 2 times on very hot & humid days. Today I felt it's a little better but I have to say that all Japanese cars I drove have a stronger aircondition that you feel even at slow fan speed. I'm too concerned though about the reliability of this car. I've read some reports about recurrent electrical problems, squeaks & rattles. Consumer report list it in the bottom 5 cars in term of reliability. While driving it, I felt the plastic peices inside are very weak & flimsy such as the sunglasses case's door or the small draweres in the dashboard. even on the outside the gas tank door feel very weak. I loved the ride otherwise and love the Passat design. FYI.. I was offered a great price of $23,000 for this 2.0T with package 2 ($24,715 OTD)\
    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Do any one know about the bluetooth feature. When I asked the sales rep he said "yes, you should be able to connect but have to buy a special motorola phone". I aske for the car manual and there a supplement issued 11/05 that describes how to connect your phone to the blue tooth system and control from the steering wheel button. It did mention a cradle that obviously is not in the car and I wonder what are the costs to get this started. Thanks
    S will engage 6th.

Beats me.
    The cradle will cost $200-ish (from VW) -- make certain you know which cradle, which phone.

Activating BlueTooth is no biggie.

When you use the cradle you get the roof antenna and the power from the car battery.
    THANKS, Mark. Would you know if the cradle is only limited to certain models? The dealer didn't sound knowledgable but told me that he thinks it has to be a Motorola. Thanks
  • fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    Hi, kzamel! I am writing this comment because I feel, probably the same way you feel. I get hot to buy passat but when I read what kind of horrible problems people are having with them I back off. Nice ride, German engeniaring,relatively inexpensive (base models), but steel if you are not a type of person that likes to visit repairs shops very often and does not have extra money for those expensive visits (like me), I would stay away.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    This new Passat is new ;-)
    It is first model year(maybe even 2nd) available and as such it is prone to problems.
    Now history:
    1.sludge issue caused by:
    a. VW not stating strongly that 1.8T engine requires not only synthetic oil but synthetic oil that meets certain VW criteria
    b. VW not telling dealers what real oil requirements are or not stressing enough to pay attention
    c. Dealers interpreting original specification of oil as convinient to them as possible or just ignoring it
    d. Dealers ignoring what finally VW put in writing what should have been done in the beginning (proper oil specification)

2. coil pack
    Bad batch of coil packs causing major headaches for people affected. Car died in the middle of the road for example.
    VW probably did everything they could to address it but since it was widespread problem they did not have enough replacement parts. When car is out of commision and waiting for parts it is sure way to have unhappy customer.
    I do understand VW but if it happened to me I might be not forgiving.

I think that is all for widespread issues.

Krzys

PS If you want Japanese car with similar to VW Passat driving dynamics you may want to consider Subaru Legacy GT. It is AWD and its biggest issue is fuel consumption.
    I called VW parts/service. They had absolutly no idea about how it works stating that they had customers requesting i-pod connections but no body before asked about the bluetooth feature. After some research they said no need for a cradle as it's wireless/bluetooth but that I would need a "harness kit" that will integrate the phone to the built in system. The harness costs only $56. Still waiting for an answer on which type of phone would be compatible with their system.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The 1.8T sludge history is old news. The new Passat uses a 2.0T engine and the oil requirements have been known since introduction.

Coil packs are also old news. There hasn't been an issue with new vehicles in 3 years. Bosch admitted they coil packs were faulty and replaced them.

The Legacy GT has similar dynamics but is smaller than the Passat.
    Ok.. Here is what I got.. This is very frustrating. The 3 VW dealers (sales as well as service departments) in my city either are very ignorant about the features in the Passat or basically they're trying to deceive me. All were clueless when I mentioned bluetooth connectivity. They suggested that I purchase a harness that will help connecting to a hands-free kit that I'd need to buy from any phone manufacturers. I called VW help number (1-800-Drive-VW). The first rep hang up on me when I asked about the cell phone feature!!! I called again and this time a nice guy with german accent eventually told me that this small phone button on the steering wheel carries no function what so ever. He told me the only way to connect is to contact Motorola to install a system that would cost about $1000-1500 !!!!! I gave up with VW.
    absolutely correct: sludge and coil packs are history. alternatively, if you've ever looked at Consumer Reports reliability histories then BMW, Audi, and M-B are pretty unreliable. Why I settled on the Passat was that it is a terrific value and after almost 3 years my wife's former car--a Jetta was completely problem-free. that said, my wife now has an '05 outback and, truth be told, the odds are very good that her subaru will be more reliable in the long run. the outback is perfect for her but small for me. while the passat is a better driving car [highway] around town it's a tossup. her outback wagon is quite versatile, great fit and finish, and of course has AWD. my passat is our travel car and while the fit and finish are good it really shines as an excellent highway car. my passat gets much better mileage than the outback but also takes premium.
    still and all I bought my 2.0 [not the value edition] with tiptronic, moon roof, sat radio, etc for exactly invoice. no way could I bought a comparable Accord or Camry for invoice and the Camry is really not a driving car. If properly equipped, the Accord can be. hope this helps.
  • bill3777bill3777 Member Posts: 6
    How much did you end up paying out the door?
  • bill3777bill3777 Member Posts: 6
    Just got an offer from a dealer for a 2006 Value Edition Passat for $19842. Is this a good price? I never owned a Passat, always owned a Camry. Is there a big difference between the Value Edition and the regular 2.0T Model?
  • fbaroja1fbaroja1 Member Posts: 4
    Read all posts over and over; spoke to about 6 Passat owners at work, all of whom love the car and had few problems. Persuaded by the argument: Some problems are worth it to experience that ride. I bought V=06 V6 with Sport One, and thing is a rocket in family garb, with lots of safety features. Might have bought a TL IF I wanted to pay 8k more--paid 27.4. Will let all know if problems in the future; now, trying to decide whether to pay 800 to buy a 6yr72k extended warranty. Advice?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That extended warranty sounds like a complete bargain, especially on a VW. Good piece of mind in my eyes!!
    One to keep in mind is the standard 5yrs/50k mile warranty already included. Do you think you will keep the car past 5/6 years or 50k miles? Personally, as a '06 3.6 owner, I opted for the service/maintenance plan until 50k, since the longest warranty my finance guy offered me was 60k miles. Still doubting if he actually knew the products he was selling. Anyway, currently with 10,064 miles on the car and taking it in tomorrow morning for the 10k service/maintenance, I am looking around for an extended warranty coverage to at least 100k miles. Anyway, congrats and welcome to the passat family!
    At this moment in time (and I am convinced it will change any second now):

Here is what you can get -- and it is from Motorola --

BlueTooth

Not in the US, of course, the steering wheel button, when pressed, will activate a function that will allow hand and eyes free phoning. Further, there is or will soon be (I say this with high confidence but not absolute certainty) a cradle that will fit in your Passat that will allow you to insert a phone (if it is inserted BlueTooth need not be enabled on the phone itself) and use the cars roof top antenna and the battery for the phone will be recharged.

If the phone is in your pocket and BT is "on" and your car has been previously synched, you will be able to use the phone via a microphone and speakers that are built into the Passat (or soon will be if they are not being sent to the US this way at this point -- which is unfortunate but possibly accurate.)

BlueTooth FACTORY bluetooth that comes with VW's sister cars from Audi seems to have been "temporarily" unavailable -- and to repeat, I do believe we are on the cusp of the cars coming with BT (perhaps a package will be required, but it will be, then, "active.")

BTW, the button on the steering wheel can be used (you had better get professional help installing all the stuff). I suspect someone who knows what they are doing can get all of this stuff to work almost as if it is factory -- but, my best bet is that it will, guess what?, raise the install cost. :cry:

Once you get all this wonderful technology installed you will be able to say "dial number" and spit out the number and ta da, the phone call will be made.

Here is the 256 page :surprise: manual from Motorola:

Be Patient it is a Biggie

Hope this clarifies TODAY's non-factory but factory authorized solution.

Sorry it is not plug and play as it should be.

:mad:
  • intruder1intruder1 Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2006 Passat sedan. I want to tint my side and rear windows. After a little research I believe the best tinting film to be either metallic or hybrid. After hearing there may be a problem with metallic or hybrid film causing interference with am/fm and satellite navigation reception I contacted two local dealers and VW. I was underwhelmed with the response from all parties as they all appeared to guess? If you are familiar with the topic could you please help? I plan on having either Solar-gard or Llumar film installed if it's safe.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    My dealer received a upgrade disk from the local VW rep this week. The CD is supposed to upgrade the car's computer to help solve the problem of delayed acceleration/pause experienced by many new Passat owners.

VW is due to release a technical bulletin regarding this issue very soon.

The cd was installed in the vehicle on Friday. The test drive revealed an slight improvement. If you're experiecnng such an issue contact you dealer and inquire about the disk.
  • sbc2006sbc2006 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone out there is experiencing an airbag issue. I just got my Passat 3 months ago and it is now in the shop due to an "airbag fault". This message showed up on my display and I had to take it in on Friday. The advisor told me it was something about the wiring sending a false positive message to the airbag. This makes me a little nervous especially since the car is brand new :(
  • bat60bat60 Member Posts: 12
    Warranty on the passats are 4yr. 50k -- If you can extend it to 6yrs 72k and your going to keep the car 800 is'nt so bad.. Our 03 passat has been good. Looken at the 06's now. good luck
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    After hearing there may be a problem with metallic or hybrid film causing interference with am/fm and satellite navigation reception I contacted two local dealers and VW. I was underwhelmed with the response from all parties as they all appeared to guess?

Well VW can't give you an answer because they aren't providing the window tint. Giving an answer would be equal to giving a guarantee.

Ask the company that manufactures the film. They should be able to answer the question or at least advise you of how their products could affect reception.

Good Luck.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    What timing! temps this summer in NYC are sizzling. I asked my VW tech to recommend a window tint place locally and he said he did not think it was a good idea as it may interfere with the window automatic pinch mechanism. I have sattlelite radio and would not want to compromise reception. Kindly let us know what you find out . Thanks.
  • path_ohonepath_ohone Member Posts: 9
    I've had a 99 Passat for 8 yrs and 175k miles. Great handler, family hauler, good looker and with exceptionally well engineered chasis and engine. Over the life of the car, i may have spent about $2k in repairs, other than oil changes etc (mostly front suspension related; the turbo engine was bullet proof, and i mainteained it by using Mobil 1 etc). Did not ever get stranded by the roadside (other than once when i ran out of gas!) or have any major gotchas. And overall a blast to drive.

It seemed to hit the sweet spot between the right value and style and hauling capacity and distinctive, withouth being overly in your face with German pretensions, somehow. I'd have paid extra for the quality of the paint work alone; it still looks deep and glossy.

Would i buy it again? Hmmm...Yes I did. Bought a 2006 2.0 T with Pkg 2 this month. Again, very well made and beyond reproach. But will I have to spend a bit more in maintenence than a Toyota or an Accord? Yes. Will I have a more distinctive and better driving car than these two? Yes. Am I good with that equation? Yes. YMMV, however.

Its a tough choice if you are looking for basic, inexpensive, dependable transportation; as the market has many players in this segment to choose.
    okay. I had put in a request to VW Care about this same question on June 25. Today, I received their response: The actual percentage that has been added to the window/glass cannot be determined. However, the glass is able to block 65% of the sunlight."

Does that make sense to anyone? All I wanted to know was which the percentage of the tinting currently in the stock glass/window on my '06 VW Passat. The representative could not tell me because the advocate could not locate the tint information.

So this makes VW seem like that they don't know their own specificification on their vehicles. By the way, I already asked my Service Advisor at the dealership, they didn't know, either... referred me to VW. Who is VW? (versus VW Care... who doesn't). How do concerned owners contact VW for answers? Not responses like "information unavailable." Sorry and thank you for hearing me out... just venting after purchasing a car that the manufacturer cannot answer simply questions to.

Maybe I should have a private company tint test my windows to determine the actual factory installed tint percentage and turn around and sell that information to VW for price... but FREE to all Passat owners!