Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Do the manual and DSG you are comparing have the same number of gears and the same gear ratios?"

For the Audi A3 both the DSG and the conventional manual have 6-Speeds. As for the gear ratios, unknown, I cannot find that information on the AudiUSA web site.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vwismevwisme Member Posts: 1
    I'm putting my money on the new 2006 Passat! It has has the same Xenon headlights as the BMW 3 series and is similarly appointed on the inside.

I love my 1999 Passat and I have always considered it an entry level luxury car!

Diane
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I really is a nice automobile.

I posted this months ago, but the new Passat interior looks like what the next generation BMW interiors should look like. To me it looks like an updated modern 3 series interior

I was driving by a 2002+ Passat and couldn’t help but notice how elegant and luxurious it looked. It was a base 1.8T.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    Agreed. In some ways, my 2001.5 New Passat was more luxurious than my current '04 TL. If only they'd updated the Passat and gave it more HP and a 6MT sooner!!!
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The interior fit and finish of VW and Audis are the best in the industry, IMHO. The spartan-like interiors of VW/Audi exude a sense of understated elegance vs. some of the cushy, frilly and gaudy luxury of its competitors.

Hopefully this tradition will continue in future VW/Audi models
    I agree, however, with the new Passat, you can have the "More HorsePower" part (big juicy VR6) OR the "6-Speed Manual" part, unfortunately you cannot have them together. :cry:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If only they'd updated the Passat and gave it more HP and a 6MT sooner!!!

I understand that.

Unfortunately VW doesn’t seem to be in a rush for anything.

In 2002 I wanted to buy a minivan and saw the prototypes of the VW Bus. It looked very interesting so I waited, till May of this year and still no 7 seater from VW. I would have purchased the VW if it was as good, not better, than the competition, but there was nothing to compare. So I have a top of the line Quest MSRP 37K (that could and would have gone to VW); price was not really an issue since this was our long term family vehicle.

I also wanted to purchase a smaller commuter vehicle. The new Jetta came out and it also seemed very interesting. But for under 19K I purchased a Mazda 3 5sp with sport pkg (leather, sunroom and other junk that I don’t need) and I love the way it drives. Since this is my commuter vehicle it needs to drive and handle well. Drive/handling is all I really care about so I would have chosen the VW even if it had less equipment…I chose the Mazda even with out turning on the stereo or trying out the sunroof.

I would have preferred to spend nearly 60K on VW’s, but I couldn’t wait forever.

So for the Passat, I’d suggest VW get the “blitz” going.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Those Mazda 3's with the sunroom must be huge. :shades:
    heh...it's the stretch Winnebago version. :blush:
  • insiinsi Member Posts: 12
    Hi..

I would like to know which one better between the diesel engine and the FSI engine.

What the advantages and disadvantages between these two?
    How much the cost for service maintenance between these two (or running cost)?

Because I don't know much about it so in your experiences or opinion, could you please tell me about these two type of engine inside VW Passat?

You can provide me the link to a website if you know the explanation about it.

Thank you for your time and help.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Each engine has its merits. Better? Who knows? What is better chocolate or vanilla? What country will this be used in? There are certainly differences that some people would say are advantages but they would be talking about the FSI gas engine; others would offer their opinions, equally valid and conclude the advantages favor the diesel.

Diesel, turbo diesel, with clean fuel (not yet here in the US) can be a strong accelerative engine. Diesel is often considered more fuel efficient, too.

Gasoline engines are sometimes considered more drivable -- this is a personal preference when the comparison is to a well designed TD.

FSI offers more power and economy than non-FSI engines.

What are you looking for?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel.htm

You need to help us help you by telling what your crietia are for considering "better." :confuse: ;)
    Maybe I should not ask which one is better.

I just want to know advantages and disadvatages between TDI and FSI.

I know diesel more fuel efficient and drive further than petrol (but more costly to buy diesel at petrol station), FSI a little bit more power but TDI more torgue (or more newton, I think) but I also need to know other areas as well such as repair cost, service mantenance etc etc or other important area for ongoing cost.

Especially from those people who own the VW Passat and their experiences, do they having difficulties more with diesel compare to petrol owner?

I am in Australia and Diesel is not as popular as FSI or Petrol engine but if this NEW Passat coming with Diesel, I would like to know more about these two engines especially diesel because I am not familiar with it.

I also know, diesel from outside the car is more noisier than petrol but I don't know when you sit inside the car. Is it still noisy or not OR petrol engine less noisy.

So I would like to know more.....if possible or you would like to share something from your experiences or heard from other people.

Thanks again.
    and
    Thanks for the link.
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    Does 2006 Passat have TDI option? What horsepowers and torques of the engine? Does anybody have info?
  • spoilsportspoilsport Member Posts: 13
    Anybody got any hard figures on pricing, trim levels, etc? :confuse:

For the 2.0T and the V6 as I hear no TDI until '07. :(
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    Had the chance to test drive the new 2006 Passat for 24 hours this past week. In a program called "Alpha Drivers," VW has 10 vehicles across the country getting feedback on their new design.
    The two biggest changes are 1.) Obviously, the new exterior styling. and 2.) the new 2.0T engine.
    As a current 2003 Passat owner, I'm not a huge fan of some of the new design cues. It seems some of the exterior is not as agressive as the b5.5. This is especially noticable on the raking sides, bubbled cabin, and the front end. During my 24 hours, many commented on the similarity to the new Jetta. As many believe the Jetta resembles the Toyota Corolla, this certainly wasn't a compliment. Nothing against the Corrola, but if I wanted Japanese, I'd go out for Sushi. :)
    Here is where the new car shines. The 2.0T is a GREAT engine. The current 1.8T should never have been used in the B5 series Passat. The car is too large and the engine lags too much. However, the new FSI 2.0T is a pleasure to drive with 200 hp and 206 pounds of torque. Low end torque is much better. This car drives more like the V6 B5.5 Passat than a four banger. 0-60 times were definitely in the 7.5 sec. range. Much improved over the stock 1.8T.
    I have many pictures of the vehicle and if I figure out how to post them, I will gladly do so. If the styling is to your liking, this is a great vehicle. I'm sure a nice set of aftermarket 18" rims would make this more my type of sedan.

Ron
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    if your photos are of sedans, I'd really appreciate seeing them. I've only seen photos of a station wagon here and there. Sounds great! I'm disappointed that I heard you can't get the 6 cyl engine w/ a manual transmission.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    7.5 sec to 60 is not exactly state of the art. I suppose it is compared to the over 9 sec the Jetta 2.5 takes. The new Hyundai Sonata does it in 7.0 flat according to Car and Driver and that's without the added complexity and heat generation of a turbo. Sounds like the new Passat desperately needs the 3.6 l six to get its 0-60 into the low or at least mid 6 second range. When does this become available anyway?

Did you listen to the Dynaudio? What did it sound like? This to me is a stronger selling point than the 2.0T engine.
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    Do you have information on the TDI model in new Passat? Do they use the same engine as in the old passat, or new more powerful one?
  • sachsisachsi Member Posts: 13
    This post is for North American readers who have not had the chance to see/drive the new Passat yet:

I'm visiting family in Europe and after a 5-hour ride in my dad's car we decided that he needed some new wheels. We spent most of last week shopping for a new car and after quite a few test-drives we both decided that the clear winner was the Passat.

Although not always by much, it was the most expensive car I tested here (the MSRP of the one we're ordering ended up being about 23,000 Euro (tax excluded). It may not sound like much but if you add tax and convert it to USD it gets quite pricey. I wonder how high they're going to set the US MSRP... When I saw the prices of options on the damn thing I thought I was looking at a Porsche brochure. The spare is an option even with the highest trim level here (no run-flats either). Gimme a break! The dealer's going to have to throw one in if he wants to make a sale.

I drove the 2.0 TDI version with the standard suspension and I can tell you it's a slap in the face to the new 3 Series. Excellent lateral stability and body stiffness, good brakes (not as nice as those of the new 3 Series though). The car's quite long and there's lots of leg room in the back.
    Although rated at only 140 HP, the engine felt very smooth and peppy (unlike the equally-powerful Peugeot I tested which felt like a Civic). The TDI has loads of torque. They didn't have an FSI available for test-driving, so I have no idea how that one might feel.
    Having been in the market for a family sedan in the US, I have very fresh memories of several other European brands I test-drove (BMW, Audi, Volvo and MB). I would have definitely short-listed the Passat had it been available in the US right now.

Bottom line: the car feels and drives a lot nicer than the old Passat. If they price it right, they may have a winner.
    If they price it right, they may have a winner.

Pricing is not one of VW's strengths! We will have to wait and see! Hopefully they wont price themselves outside of the N. American market!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I wonder how high they're going to set the US MSRP

You probably will not be happy to hear this, but I have just read they are to start at $22,900 in the US. The standard engine must be upgraded for US, I believe it is 2.0T...which is rated at maybe 200HP???
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    I would agree that 7.5 0-60 isn't great, but for current Passat owners, it's a blessing. Unless you modified the current edition, you won't get anything under 9 seconds. I'm told the new car will be available late August with the six cylinder coming in November.
    I like the monsoon now, but it doesn't touch Nissan's Bose. The radio reception wasn't that great in the tester car.

I'm working on a simple html to get the pics up. Hope this works..

New Page 1

image    image
    You cannot post from your hard drive, it has to be an internet based URL.

Unless you have a static IP address you want to share with the world :)
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So it has the same FSI 2.0T as the A3 and A4?

Does it have DSG by chance?
    Yes, based on what I read DSG will be availabe on the Passat including the TDI version.
    The current Passat gets to 60 in under 8 seconds with the 4 - need the manual tranny though :)
    I actually think 7.5 is pretty good. I don’t remember…was that the AUTO?

Either way, with a DSG you should be able to achieve the manual’s performance (and consistently too).

I recall a bad movie in the 70’s I was watching; where two people were driving a 70’s “muscle car” (Dodge or something like that) that had a huge V8. The driver was bragging that he got 0-60 in mid 7’s.

The V6 with 280hp “should” get low 6’s / high 5’s, depending on manual/auto, AWD/FWD. Similar to TL, G35/M35 etc.
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is DSG?
    Direct Shift Gearbox (I think)
    It is not your ignorance but VW’s lack of vision in marketing their revolutionary transmission…almost to the insult of the engineers that developed it.

It is a manual transmission, i.e. no torque converter, that can be driven in “automatic” mode. This transmission is not like the other automatics that can be shifted manually i.e. A6, TL, G35 etc, as these have torque converters.

This transmission does differ when compared to other true “automatic” manuals in BMW, Ferrari, Toyota etc in that it has two separate clutches. This transmission will start out in first as you drive and will have the second gear pre-selected. When you are ready to shift into second it will happen almost instantaneously as the gear is already selected.

The DSG is supposed to get “slightly” better fuel consumption and identical performance of a regular manual transmission, and supposed to shift smoother than a regular automatic.

I have a feeling that VW will fumble around for a few years with this; then Toyota will copy it and praises will be thrown in by automotive press…or Chrysler will copy it and give it a catchy name…
    Audi (VW) and BMW each have their versions of this technology: Audi/VW is called DSG and BMW is called SMG.

There is a ton of info all over the WWW on this technology. As described above, it is, right now, perhaps THE BEST transmission technology. Er, how about the "optimum" technology as there might be some debate from the CVT crowd.
    I think Toyota already has something similar in the MR2.
    "It is a manual transmission, i.e. no torque converter, that can be driven in “automatic” mode."

Sorry, any transmission that can be driven in "Automatic Mode" is an "Automatic" regardless of what clutch and shfiting technology is used.

Like the new IS from Lexus, VW is missing the boat by not offering a true three pedal manual transmission with their larger engine offering.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    markcincinnati:
    The SMG is not a dual clutch, but I've heard "internet chat" that they are developing one…I think the M series as a different version, but still not a dual.

Or MB’s 7G; how many gears is to many.

shipo:
    I suppose that could be argued. Some people think of automatic transmission as an automobile that does not have a third pedal.

I usually think of an automatic as something that has a torque converter, and a manual as something that has a clutch…regardless of whether I operate the clutch or not.

There is something very satisfying about take a car to 5K or so, depressing the clutch the optimal amount (1” or so), putting the shifter into the next gear with a slight increase in rpm’s and then letting the clutch pull you to redline…or downshifting to the upper rpm band when you’re in a tunnel or over pass…guess I’ll always be a punk driver :)
    Sorry I should have specified that the SMG is not dual clutch, I stand corrected.

The spirit of what these transmissions attempt to do is approximately the same, however.

The Audi / VW interpretation or design has been receiving very good press however, especially in the A3 and one would assume ditto in the similar VW's.

I drove the TT 3.2 with it and it could fool you into thinking it was a pure automatic, but unlike the Tip there was a more connected feeling.

Although my 6spd Tip is the nicest tiptronic I have had (out of 4), I still would prefer the stick, DSG or CVT to it. And, although 7 gears would probably be yet another improvement, I think that any of the torque converter automatics will always feel "less connected" to those of us used to driving sticks.

The current generation of Geman stick shifts (especially the BMW's and the Audi S4, to name one Audi) "ought" to make customers forget autos altogether.

But, as the man said, when I turned in my "perfect, pristine, every possible option'd" 2003 Audi allroad (with the 6spd stick), "too bad this isn't an automatic, it would sell in a day or two if it were."

Of course, I thought, "who would want it if it had an automatic."

Mark = "screaming voice in the wilderness."
    :confuse:
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I was very impressed. They were suprised to have the car a month early. It was quite larger inside and very well finished. The look was appealing right away. I am more interested in the wagon but it was quite nice.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So the new models will be at the dealers by the end of August?

The VW site is still showing the old models.

Also in a preview, some site said there would be 4 or 5 engine configurations?

But that only the 2.0T will be DFI (or FSI as Audi/VW calls it)?

Will DSG be available with all engine configurations or just the high-output models?

Does VW have something like Audi Advantage (the free maintenance thing).
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The model I saw was a 2.0T with leather. I think it had the standard tiptronic but I cannot recall to the point that I would swear to that.
  • a911sa911s Member Posts: 13
    <<So the new models will be at the dealers by the end of August?>>

According to my VW dealer, yes. But he's not sure how many options will be available right away.

<<Also in a preview, some site said there would be 4 or 5 engine configurations?>>

It's possible that 4 or 5 engines (counting diesels) will be available to European customers. But the 2.0T and 3.6 litre V6 will be the only engines offered in North America.

<<But that only the 2.0T will be DFI (or FSI as Audi/VW calls it)?>>

The engine has FSI (Fuel Stratified Injection), which is "Audi Speak" for direct injection. The FSI system ensures smoother response, more low-end power, better fuel economy and less turbo lag in the 2.0T. And that's saying something because the 1.8T in my VW is nearly lagless, with peak torque available at 1900 RPM.

<<Will DSG be available with all engine configurations or just the high-output models?>>

VW/Audi are selling the DSG in the Diesel version of the New Beetle and in the 3.2 litre TT at the moment. The A3 will probably get and I understand they're planning on introducing it to the new A4 and A6 as well. However, for the time being, none of the other VW models are getting it. The only "manumatic" available in the new MKV Jetta and upcoming B6 Passat is the new, revised 6-speed Tiptronic. It's not quite as quick or as advanced as the DSG but it's a lower-cost option and it works very well in our V8 Touraeg.

<<Does VW have something like Audi Advantage (the free maintenance thing).>>

Unfortunately no. But the VW cars all come with 5 Year/50,000 Mile warranties and VW is moderately easy-going about giving people warranty coverage on things that shouldn't be covered. Also, keep in mind that maintenance on a VW, even one with FSI, is less expensive than maintenance on something like a BMW.
    I have no doubts that DSG is the best non-manual transmission out there today.

If you are somebody like me who keeps a car for many years then maintenace costs for a new clutch may be quite hefty, since the DSG involves two clutches.
  • fourmotionfourmotion Member Posts: 1
    Can't get too excited about the 0-60 time.

But what about road handling? Does the new 2006 Passat even come close to the existing models with 4-motion?

Come to think of it, why isn't 4-motion standard on the new model, and do you know when we'll we see it?
    The 0-60 time for the 2.0T at 7.4 seconds for the automatic is downright slow. The new 2006 Sonata is 7.0 seconds according to Car and Driver. The 2006 Passat desperately needs the 3.6 l V-6 engine in order for it to be credible, especially considering the price the car will sell for with the six cylinder engine.
  • patrice2patrice2 Member Posts: 1
    I am also an Alpha Driver. I currently own a 2000 4cyl passat, and after driving the 2006 4cylinder FSI, there is no doubt in my mind that this is exactly the car I will be purchasing next month. The Inside is FAR more roomy than my current Passat. It was fun to drive! And although I did not like the "Altima" style back lights when I saw them on the website, they look much better in person. In the 24 hours I had the car, I put 350 miles on it and loved every minute of it. More leg room, more head room, cooled glove box and console, fun push button ignition key, when VW symbol on trunk is pushed the trunk opens (fun)..headlights tilt to illuminate the road ahead, no visible key holes on the car (anywhere)...boomin' sound system, sunroof design cuts down noise, and 200hp is slammin for a 4 cylinder. I kept finding myself doing 95 miles/hour thinking I was going 55!
    Although I have not driven a TL, I can say that the new Passat handles much like the 2005 Acura TSX, it is also as roomy and as comfortable of a ride as the TSX.
    I would highly recommed that people take a goog look at this car when it comes out.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    0-60 in 7.4 seconds is plenty fast enough. We don't need every car to be designed to impress the automotive press. The vast majority of real drivers are not going to accellerate at anywhere near the capability of this car.

There are other aspects of vehicles to consider, besindes what happens when you floor it from a stop.
    Not that I know for certain, but wouldn&#146;t two clutches last DOUBLE as long? I think the DSG alternates from one clutch to the other.

Wouldn&#146;t it be like have two complete sets of tires?
  • chaz318chaz318 Member Posts: 16
    where are you driving where you need to get to 60 significantly quicker than 7.4 seconds. first off thats a very decent number, its not fast but it is no where near slow, and furthermore 0-anything is about the most useless times they can give for tests. i mean its fun to know if i wanted to for soem reason go to 60 as fast as i could when this stoplight turns green and i could do it __ seconds fast is fun, but what matters much more is the likes of 30-50, or 50-70 hell even 5-60 is more important than 0-60 in everyday driving, becuase you actually depend on teh former two fo rhte likes of passing or entering onramps, less so of the latter but you depend ont hat more than 0-60. plus with this cars great torque, and i know its got a great lowend torque band, this car will mor ethan likely stand out from the pack of mid size economy 4 cylinder sedans (accord, camry, etc.) and will at least equal those of (what i feel are its real competitors) low power versions of entry level luxury sedans (325, is250) in these more useful numbers, plus itll still hold up well with those cqars in 0-60, and will trump the accord and camry 4 cylinders, although at least with the entry level luxury sedans skidpad and slalom numbers may prove a bit measely considering VW has taken the mor eluxurious side to audis sporty side, and the fact that its a nose heavy front driver.
    Interesting,

I am not sure myself but I believe the cluthes work simultaneously in changing gears?
    If the 2.0T is "plenty fast enough," then why is VW making available eventually the 3.6 l which will be approximately 1 second faster to 60?

The fact remains that the 2.0T is slower than the lower-priced '06 six-cylinder Sonata and the performance is poorer at a higher price.