Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    It probably would change the analysis for you…I always think newer is better. But if you must have the TDI and can’t wait you really don’t have alternatives.

I always think (feel) that the market adjusts to the “true” price. So if the 2005’s are selling 5K lower, that is what they are actually worth (at that point in time). If for some reason you needed to sell it within a year, you’d see that the new models have caused the “older” model to depreciate. If you sold it in 6-7 years, the “next” Passat will be out and that will cause further depreciation…and give you the impression that you’re driving an “old car”.

But if you keep it for a longer period of time depreciation really isn’t a substantial factor.

Markcincinnati:
    Yes…but to modify your statement, the 3.6FWD would benefit from 4motion…but BEGS for a 6speed MANUAL (ok, with a 6speed manual the AWD would probably be a requirement :) )
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    I see where you're coming from. If you have a certain car on a "watch to buy" list within a set price range that's within your (or my) reach only to have the manufacturer raise the price just above the threshold, I don't blame you for being disappointed. There are some things that VW does that annoys me :mad: (pricing being the first thing, model lines being the 2nd thing...)...
  • stevefromclevestevefromcleve Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else heard anything back from VW about the AlphaDrivers program? I registered to become a "member" over a month ago and haven't heard anything back regarding details of when it will start. Obviously Ron Adams has - Ron, how did VW contact you?
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    With their Haldex technology, VW should make the 3.6 Passat AWD standard and not optional! The one necessary option it should have is a manual tranny!

Yes, such a vehicle may cannibalize sales from Audi. But the benefit of gained sales from other marques could offset such cannibalization.

FWD 3.6 automatic Passat :sick:

AWD Passat 3.6 with a choice of trannys :D
  • jay24jay24 Member Posts: 5
    Review for 2006 Passat
    7-27-2005
    VW Corporate delivered 2006 Passat today for a 24-hour drive, VW Alpha Drivers Program.
    Equipment: 2.0Turbo, Automatic, Leather, Alloy wheels, Sunroof, Standard stereo.
    Impression: Car is entire step up in quality, feel and experience. Car feels heavier, more substantial, luxurious and significantly more comfortable. Exterior Appearance in the flesh is a letdown. Looks no better than a Camry or Accord.
    Interior:
    Seating-much improved, much better front seating than last Passat. Passenger seatback still shakes on highway like previous Passats. Headrest still a stretch to reach when leaning into it.
    Ambient Noise around town is only exhaust and engine noise. Highway only road/tire noise no wind sounds. Engine sounds like a sewing machine when cold. Overall car is quiet but not church quiet. Windshield wipers are noisy in the rain.
    Comfort-prepare to get drowsy, I had to crank up the hollow sounding stereo to stay awake. This VW is a Cadillac of Passats.
    Plastics-a little cheaper that desired but still ok. Textured with different hues and more curves.
    Console-If it’s an Automatic give me a wide comfortable center armrest. This one is wider and taller but it still is not pleasant to use. Too boxy in shape. Also the padded door arm rests weren’t padded enough.
    Gauges-Very pleasant and simple, blue at night and dressed up from previous Passat. Bigger digital info screen in middle has more info, cool digital compass and digital cruise readout, tire pressure readout not on this model. Also no bluetooth but there is a telephone button on the steering wheel.(Mystery)
    Ergonomics- great but requires a little getting used to the new angles but they work. I felt higher and at different angles than before.
    Steering wheel-looks like nothing special but feels more pleasant as u drive the car.
    Buttons/Controls- stereo volume and tuning are too short and slippery, other buttons feel a little cheap. Steering wheel controls are unpleasant to the touch. Window buttons are unpleasant to touch when moving windows back up.
    Stereo: Sound is boxy and hollow, lacks sophistication or resolution. No emotion conveyed.
    Features-good enough for non-discriminating taste, satellite radio (XM) button built in, get the upgraded stereo.
    Handling-like a boat, wobbles, weaves, rolls, delayed reaction, a little over-steer in curves. This is not an enthusiast car, no comparison to a BMW or a Mercedes. I don’t like front drive cars. My last Passat (previous model) always felt a little floaty on the road. This generation is not as floaty as the last.
    Steering-very light around town, firms up on highway, you wont get tired hands from holding on for dear life on highway as in previous (numb) Passat.
    Brakes-very soft and powered, feels like a big Lexus
    Cornering and turning radius was pleasant around town.
    Acceleration-2.0t engine is great, far superior to previous engine, much smoother, pulls hard and fast for a 4 cylinder, does lurch around town though.
    Torque Steer-car trys to change direction a little when charging on a straightaway
    Engine-I didn’t want a bigger engine after I drove the 2.0t, it was terrific, smooth, fun, fast, more than enough to get into trouble.
    Convenience: Plenty of storage drawers and spaces. Full size spare tire. Umbrella holder in door. Ticket/parking pass holder/clip inside windshield driver’s side. Sunglass holder on ceiling console. VW emblem in trunk is button to open trunk. Air-conditioned center console. Tilt and telescope steering wheel.
    What do I really like about it: Improved seats, umbrella holder in driver door, LED taillights, center digital info display, engine.
    What irritates me: Center console armrest is unpleasant to use, sloppy suspension movement in highway (at speed) maneuvers, stereo sounds hollow, exterior appearance bland, some switches feel unpleasant, exterior sound of doors when you close them, weird angle of exterior door handles, can’t comfortably lay my head against the head rest, wheels aren’t attractive at all, exterior mirrors too small, seatbelt fastener digs into my side and doesn’t move or adjust.
    Would I buy it?
    If they offer it with Bluetooth for the cell phone, if the upgraded stereo sounds a lot better, if the sportier suspension and wheels (they are supposed to offer) firms it up and I can get it in a 6 speed stick with Quattro (4-motion) then yes otherwise it feels like a Camry and (Yawn) no.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The new Passat should offer a manual transmission with the high output engine plus AWD -- and the full zoot sport suspension, 18" wheels with 40 series tires!

It probably won't.

The S-Line Audi A4 3.2 (although a heck of a lot more $) becomes the new S4 lite -- coulda woulda shoulda.

Oh well, what do we know -- the W8 sport didn't sell.

Appreciate the review.
  • tomatopietomatopie Member Posts: 31
    Good point about depreciation. But right now I am about to give up the Acura Legend, 215,000 miles, that I bought new in 1991.

So I tend to hold onto cars for a while. I expect 10 years, 200,000 miles from the Passat.
    You must be dreaming. Or rich.
    That is quite a confession from a VW/Audi fan!

Are you confirming the rumors that VW/Audis involve horrendous maintenance bills?
    For a 10 year old car its no longer a rumor…for any manufacturer.

Years gone by…my sister had a very expensive 5 year old Acura. When things go wrong on any new car, it’s gonana cost $’s
    The term I have been using for years is "breathtakingly expensive."

And this is no confession -- further, this is not Audi/VW specific in any way.

Although it was a badge of honor, one of my former employees had an Acura that had 118,000 miles on it.

He owned it.

He paid about the same per month for a 1997 Acura "care and feeding" as I did to lease a new, at the time, Audi which included maintenance.

I am certain there are formulas and algorithms and ratios and stuff that can prove or disprove either point, but given a choice of a PERMANENT monthly payment of $500 and always having a car that was less than three years old vs a payment to maintain a 1997 Rolls Canhardly, I would opt for keeping current technology.

Now, to those who have 100,000+ miles on their fully paid for cars that have only gas, oil, tires, insurance and plates -- to drain their wallets, I say "congratulations."

Eventually, I will win something in the lottery too.

I have never claimed I thought maintaining European cars (and others as far as I know, too) was anything less than "breathtakingly expensive."

I don't make enough money to keep my cars out of warranty.

Moreover, the technology is so rapidly changing, I like and want "young" rides.

To each his own.

Ooops, clarification. I do not mean to suggest that each and every month my employee's Acura required $500 in maintenance.

When the ABS needed repairs it was $3,000. Then when the starter, battery and some other electrical problem required attention it was a few hundred bucks.

Then nothing happened for a few months. Then the transmission had a shifting issue, then the power close doors stopped working and then. . .

One year, the maintenance was perhaps $8,000, the next year perhaps it was $3 or 4 thousand. The point is, the costs at some point in time mean that you are paying hefty amounts to keep an old car running. An issue then arose: "is the car reliable enough for my trek from Cincinnati to Detroit?" Then he would rent a car rather than "risk" the four hour+ drive.

My dad used to keep cars until the above scenario came true -- but he felt he was being frugal and financially sound.

Of course my dad would drive to a town ten miles away to buy $2 worth of gas (when gas was $.35 gallon).

There is a certain "depression" influenced mind set -- I am not saying it is wrong or right, it is different than some of the alternatives, however.

Keeping a VW more than 4 years is an invitation to spend spend spend on at some point what becomes "an old car" when the same money would allow the owner to be in a much newer and hopefully better auto.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    100,000 trouble free miles is hardly like winning the lottery. It is the norm with cars these days.
    Well here is my theory:

The biggest expense for most car owners is depreciation! Not maintenance, insurance or gas consumption. The only way you can reduce depreciation is by prolonging car ownership . As long as maintenace costs are not out of control it is definitely worth keeping your car. I am speaking from my own experience!

I keep my cars for at least 7 to 10 years. In fact my wife drives a 83 MB300D that my father bought 23 years ago. My sister-in-law still drives my mother's 86 Audi 4000s. So far all of us still have enough money in our piggy bank!

Why? Depends on who is servicing your car! I have a competent/honest independent mechanic and so far my 7 year old 99 BMW323 has a service record that can out-Lexus any Lexus!

My wife's MB300D should be in the Guiness Book of World Records for the lowest depreciation/maintenance costs annualized!

As you said, to each their own!
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I drove by a VW dealership a few weeks ago and they had signs saying something like $7500 off the Touaregs. Some really astoundingly high discount.

So they're not selling that well?

How well have the V6 Passats sold? What has been their price range? Do the new models represent a big leap in price?
    7500...wow…I’d be there; wait no 3rd row… :cry:

Not sure about V6 Passats. I don’t think the price increase for a V6 with 4Motion is all that large considering the increase in standard equipment (including hp).

I seriously considered a Phaeton lease. They were REALLY low but alas, the car did not fit my needs…temping though.
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    7500...wow…I’d be there; wait no 3rd row...

Ditto!
    It's a shame that VW does not offer a minivan or 3 row SUV. But I think that's been discussed on another thread. ;)

• a911sa911s Member Posts: 13
    $7,500 off Touraegs? I'm willing to bet that you'd find leftover 2005 V6s if you went and asked- units they want to clear out so there's room for 2006s units. We bought an 8-cylinder Touraeg in May of this year and we ended up having to pay near sticker. And that's after we compared 5 different dealers including ones that were 2 hours from the house. VW does do really good lease deals though.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's try to stick to discussing the Passat, please!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Last night before closing I stopped by the VW store and got a look see. Nice, but expensive. The build quality is as always on a VW product great.....but the car looks kinda stubby compared to the previous Passat. Car and Driver said something about the wheelbase being a few inches short causing it to look like that, hmmm. I like the interior, its like a baby Phaeton. The seats, gaugest and room are perfect to (for) me. Now I just need to see the price for the average V6 model.....if it has a single option it will be 33K or so it seems. I don't know about VW's strategy here, seems very risky for a company that says they want volume. Its a fine car, but the 2.0t models I look at last night were 28K or so....very pricey.

M
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    The Passat is very much over priced. Yes, it is bigger than the Jetta but it seems to lack some of the features of the 2005.5 Jetta. Didn't see dual A/C controls for 1 and at a price of 30k+
  • tomatopietomatopie Member Posts: 31
    I agree with Dewey on depreciation.

My Acura has been costing me about $2,000 a year in repairs, but only lately. It was just tires and batteries up until 170,000 miles.

It has the original clutch (5-speed) and orginal exhaust system! So I know there's bigger bills to come if I hang on.

I bought a 2005 TDI last night (below invoice) and today one of the power windows in the Acura broke.

Must be a sign.
    I looked the numbers and packages again from that earlier post, it seems a Passat VR6 the way I'd want it would come out to $36,115. Not as high as I originally thought, but still about 2K too much imo. The equipment list sounds scrumptious though.

M
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Yesterday I test drove the A3 and the new Passat. I currently own a 2002 1.8T. It has been good to me aside from the coils and the usual reliability issues. I was so looking forward to the new engine and new design. I was told it was the same engine as in in the A3, however the A3 2.0T dsg drove like a rocket. The Passat drove with not much more power than I already have. I even noticed some lag again . I also feel that the new design is less sportier and more camry ish. The ride as nice as it was seemed to be misssing the fun factor that I love so much in the 1.8T. Perhaps I will keep it another year despite my fears of keeping it out of warranty. Have any other test drivers felt the same? or perhaps I need to drive it again..Thanks
  • jenntljenntl Member Posts: 33
    They only have the 2.0 automatic/tiptronic so far. The steering was very loose but was told that with power steering there were 4 settings available and that they could "tighten" the steering upon request. They said they set it loose for those that have arthritis or want easier steering. Didn't know they felt their base clientele was that old. Also was not impressed to know that the wood trims they tout so much are only going to be available on the V6 model. Unfortunately, the manual transmission is only available in the 2.0 model so if you want a stick, you're stuck with the metal look, which did not grab me. The manual will really have to impress me to get me to buy. I lease a GLX now and it almost feels like it will be a step down. I didn't care for the surging feel of the automatic. Brakes seemed sluggish as well. I know it's a bigger car but wasn't expecting it to handle like a Buick. I've been reading up on the new models for six months or more and have been REALLY looking forward to switching up. Now, not so much. :(
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I saw the 2006 Passat yesterday, and although it is a nice design, it is not as striking or distinctive as the current Passat. It is definitely more mainstream.
    I think VW/Audi lost a lot of their top design talent in the last few years, and it is starting to show with the current crop of designs in both brands. It could be that they intend to appeal more to the mainstream market.
    First, Martin Smith, Audi's long-time interior design wizard, was picked up by Opel. Then came Ford's acquisition of J Mays, who was the chief of VW-Audi design and the individual most responsible for the Concept One Beetle - the concept car that spawned the New Beetle and put VW back on the sales chart. Then Chris Bird, whose portfolio includes the Audi A4 and A8, was made director of Small Vehicle Design for Ford of Europe. Then Freeman Thomas, the succeeding chief of VW-Audi design and the designer of the vaunted Audi TT, accepted the position as vice president of advanced vehicle strategy at DaimlerChrysler. Last, but not least, Frank Saucedo, the VW-Audi chief designer that succeeded Thomas, accepted GM's offer to head up their new design studio in North Hollywood. J. Mays influence at Ford is apparent with the Passat/A6-inspired Ford Five-Hundred.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I prefer the old A4 design to the new one with that grille, which looks like cheap plastic real close up. Maybe the old one was as well but it looked cleaner.

So all these designers sound American or British at least?

Did Audi/VW do their design in the US?
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I agree , the schnozz on the new Audis is not good design. The proportions are wrong, and some US dealers are actually painting the "bridge between the upper and lower grilles to match the body color. It looks better with the euro plates on the front. It's like they are trying to be different for difference sake, not good design.

Designers J. Mays, Frank Saucedo, and Freeman Thomas were US born and trained, and worked in the US and Europe. Chris Bird was born and trained in England. Not sure about Martin Smith, who may be the most influential designer of the group, since he did the interiors for Audi , which were outstanding. I also think the 2006 Passat interior is not quite as "perfect" as the current generation of B5.5 Passats.
    I'm not sure I understand the apparent line of thinking that the Passat is too expensive. If someone can find another semi-luxury 4-door that offers 280Hp, AWD, a six-speed manumatic, high end Dynaudio stereo (I spent over $2k on the Dyn system in my GTI), adaptive bi-xenon headlamps and the VW quality interior for under $36-40k, please let me know. The G35X and 330Xi cost about the same and the AWD version of Jag's X-Type is ugly, overly femmine and slow. To my line of thinking, the AWD Passat 3.6 is actually a better deal than the Infiniti, the Bimmer or even Audi's new 3.2 A4 Quattro. The 3.2 has 250Hp and 255 Ft. Lbs of torque and would easily eclipse $40k to get equivalent features to the loaded Passat.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Does the filter have activated charcoal? Does it have a smog sensor like volvos?
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    does anyone know the reasoning behind eliminating the fog/driving lights on both the 06 jetta and passat. I used them quite a bit on the dark roads upstate New York?
  • ncflyerncflyer Member Posts: 28
    here's the problem I have with it. If I spend that kind of money on a 3, a Lexus, or an Infiniti, I get free loaners every time I service, and most dealers even have a valet service. Audis and BMWs have no cost maintenance for 4 years. BMW and Lexus hold their value very well. In contrast, every VW dealer I've ever done business with, in Cleveland and in Durham NC, is a total dump, and it's a miracle to me they are able to stay in business when you compare them to a typical Toyota or Honda dealer. You know the kind of dealership, with a filthy, smoke filled waiting room, feels like it hasn't been cleaned or remodeled in decades. VW doesn't seem to understand that if you're going to charge a BMW price customers such as myself expect BMW treatment during the sales process also.

By the way I did testdrive the Passat, and did find it to be quite nice. The $28,000 base model I tested, the fully loaded base engine, didn't have fully automatic seats, can you believe it for that price? And I don't know what's with these new fangled keys; what is wrong with turning the wrist I do not know. The VW key you have to fit in a slot and push in. The keyless access isn't out yet I was told. Otherwise it was nice but $2000 too expensive. What's a fully loaded base Camry cost, can't be close to $28,000.

Also was told no V6's until late fall and no AWD until Jan 06. Anyone else here such info from their dealer.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I stopped by Steve White VW in Greenville, SC on my way home from College.

I have got to say that the new Passat looks so much better in person than it did in the pictures. The overall design was very nice, very European and clean looking. The cars they had were either Gray or that Bright Sky blue color.

The interior was very nice looking as well. The materials seemed pretty good, but the design wasn't as good looking as the B5.5.

Also, I was shocked by the prices. The 2.0t at FIRST looks like a great value, but add the Option Pkgs. (pkg 1 or pkg 2) and the price gets outrageous for what you get.

The cars don' t have a fully power driver's seat, lacks automatic climate control and some other features that Accords and Camrys have in top of the line models.

The only problem was that these cars are more expensive in base trim when fully optioned than the Accords and Camrys are in fully loaded EXV6 and XLEV6 trims.

One of those models was $29.5K expensive if you ask me. I can only imagine how things will get once the 3.6 models hit the lots. Especially the 3.6 4Motion models.

Like I said, the base prices look good, but add options here and there, and the price gets high.

Also, someone answer me this...

Why is that you can get a Jetta 2.5 with a 12 way power driver's seat with 3-position memory, but you can't get a Passat 2.0t with the same thing???

VW has GOT to work this stuff out. Folks aren't going to be paying nearly $30K for a Passat with at least power driver's seat, automatic climate control and other options.

I wish VW the best with this new car, but they REALLY need to add some creature comfort features.
    Have me wonder if VW hasn't just quietly decided to just sell fewer cars at higher prices because they can't possibly expect to move 100K Passats at these prices. I mean the car is nice, but it doesn't compete in a luxury car market where a few grand here or there doesn't make a difference like in the case of the E-Class/5-Series vs their Japanese competition when it comes the E/5 keeping their best selling status in spite of marketedly higher prices. The Passat doesn't have the same status.

M
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    a911s,

I think it's more that the Passat is moving up out of the price range of many of it's fans. A $35K sedan is too rich for me, no matter how nice or powerful it is. Now the 2.0T with AT would still be in my price range, but then you'd be competing against V6 models from Honda, Mazda, and Nissan.
    Now the 2.0T with AT would still be in my price range, but then you'd be competing against V6 models from Honda, Mazda, and Nissan.

And there is the problem, its just overpriced for what you can get elsewhere. This new Passat is going to go over just like the new Jetta, just ok in sales, but generally a let down for VWoA.

M
    >

My dealer in Thousand Oaks CA. gives me a free loaner every time I get service, and I've just got a $23k GTI. In contrast, my father had 3 different dealers service his A4 when he owned it and he never got a free loaner and the Toyota dealer where he gets his "work truck", a 2003 4Runner that was $40k only just started to give loaners. They weren't doing it when he first bought the car in April 2003.

>

My VW doesn't seem to be deprciating any quicker than anythign else in it's price bracket.

>

Must be the areas. The local VW dealers here were nice to begin with and they've all recently undergone major renevations to be nicer. In contrast, the Toyota dealer my father's 4Runner came from doesn't even have a real showroom. They just have a lot filled with cars and a "boiler room" where they make their deals. Although my mother had a Previa S/C back in the early 90s and the dealership was nice enough - different dealer though. Her last car before the Touraeg was a Lexus RX300 we bought while living in Northern Cali. The dealership up there wasn't any nicer than the VW dealer we go to locally but the local Lexus dealership is nicer than the one her car came from.

>

They gave us a-class treatment during both our VW purchases. My brother got a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S in December and I can't say the same for our experiences at the Acura dealerships we went to while shopping.

<<The $28,000 base model I tested, the fully loaded base engine, didn't have fully automatic seats, can you believe it for that price? And I don't know what's with these new fangled keys; what is wrong with turning the wrist I do not know.>>

Toyota's 6-cylinder Camry and Honda's 6-cylinder Accord are roughly the same price (a friend's 2005 Accord V6 EX had a sticker of over $27k) and aren't any faster, in fact I think the Camry is slower, and neither have the interior quality of the VW. They also don't offer as many standard airbags or as good a warranty and neither handle as well, IMO.
    >

The Passat 2.0Ts performance is on par with the V6 Accord, better than the Camry's and only fractionally slower than the 3.5SE edition of the Maxima. BTW, I priced Maximas with a friend about a year ago when he bought his Accord and a fully loaded one easily eclipsed $30k, I think they actually quoted roughly the same price for the Maxima that Infiniti dealers are getting for the G35. And the Passat and Camry both hit the $28k mark when fully loaded. So all in all, as I've said, the loaded 2.0T Passat is priced where it is because you're getting the same performance you'd expect of compareablly priced 6-cylinder competitors, but you're getting a BMW quality interior instead of a Nissan/Toyota/Honda quality interior and superior driving dynamics. If you (for any reason) prefer the Japanese competition, that's your perogative, but I find it a bit naive to call the Passat overpriced, we simply need to examine the facts to see that it's actual a very good deal for the money.
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    I wouldn&#146;t pay much attention to what price they put the sticker, it could be $36,000 or $56,000...what market pays is what the price I would worry about. Look at the way GM does business, almost all models are 5 to 10k "off" MSRP, and many of them are not "worth" even at employee discount...

This is America, where discount is a big thing, specifically in car business. VW too will soon offer big discounts, same as GM and Ford. In the meanwhile, some gullible will pay unrealistic MSRP to be the first on the block to own a new model. VW wins either way, they can&#146;t and won&#146;t if the put lower price on sticker.
  • cheapisgoodcheapisgood Member Posts: 16
    I also took a test drive at Berge VW in Gilbert, AZ.

I liked the new look. As previously posted, it looks a lot better in person than it did on-line. There is a distinct difference in exterior looks between it and the Jetta.

The first thing I did was sit in the back seat. I am 6'2" and found that the back seat is way too small. Really, I did not notice a difference in back seat headroom from the Jetta to the Passat. The back seats are really firm and would not be pleasant for anyone experiencing a long journey. In fact, the back seat of a Honda Civic is more comfortable. However, I did like how the back seats folded.

The front seats were o.k., but really similar to my 1991 Mazda 626. Just like the Mazda, the fit and finish were good, but not great. I agree with the other posts in that there is no memory etc. My wife is 5,2" so this is a big problem.

Previous posts are correct in that the MSRP is way out of line for this car once you add some options. I doubt that the dealers are going to discount these cars a lot right at the beggining but am sure there are going to be some great deals later in the year as these cars will not sell.

The A/C was just o.k. It is hot in Arizona and one quickly finds which cars can handle the heat and which ones can't. The Passat cannot cool the car fast enough!

Finally, the new "key" system jammed in the ignition on my test drive. The salesman and I had a very difficult time getting it out and the vehicle was taken to the service department after my test drive. The motions one must go through to release it are bad enough, but VW has not refined the thing.

I really wanted to like this car, but the price is about 5-7K more than it should be. It also needs the bugs to be taken out of it and I really don't want mine to be the mechanics guinnepig car!
  • ncflyerncflyer Member Posts: 28
    Yeah will someone please explain to me what's wrong with keys that have been in use for the last several decades. Stick it in the whole, turn the wrist, easy, works like a charm, always has. OK add in a chip to improve security, fine, I don't even notice . What "problem" is VW trying to solve. The decision was clearly made by a bunch of engineers who want to be slick and not people in touch with the needs of a consumer who want things to work every time and to be familiar.

If they are moving towards a keyless ignition, then why penalize the majority of people who might not pony up for that feature.
    >

I've spent quite a bit of time in Tucson over the years, in fact we were just there for 8 days in early July, and my brother is moving there in a couple of weeks to start at U of A (my mother went there as well and both my grandfathers lived in Tuscon at different points so the family has spent a lot of time there). I've found that very few of the rental cars we've had there were really much quicker at cooling the interior than most others. We've had 4Runners and Pathfinders, a Lincoln, various vans and most recently, a Cadillac Deville loaner car while in Tuscon. The Caddy is over $50k and it certainly didn't cool as quickly as I would have liked. However, the Caddy also has numerous other problems including a crappy stereo, a flaccid, cheap feeling interior, flat unsupportive seats cast in leather that feels more like "pleather" or vinyl than real cow, etc...
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    What is with these car companies that insist on escalating the number of useless electronic gimmicks, in this case the "key" and the "electronic parking brake?" Must they incessantly gratify their technological egos for technology's sake or are they merely trying to justify the price increases? You'd think one German car company would learn from the mistakes of others who have introduced unnecessary and unwanted electronic gimmicks at the expense of impairing their reputation and sales figures. But no, they go ahead and repeat the same mistakes while making their cars less desirable. The Japanese do electronics better, the Germans ought to stick to improving the fundamentals and building upon what already works instead of loading up their cars with problem-prone and unwanted "features." VW in particular already has a problem with reliabiility and the last thing it needs is a new car with additional problems, especially for mission-critical components such as the ignition.
    A 2.0t as fast or on par with the Accord V6 and Maxima 3.5SE?

You'll have to show me some proven statments of that.

Isn't the Passat a 200 hp sedan vs. 240 and 265??? I find that hard to believe.
    . . .has the keyless ignition. I like it. It came with the car, I got a great discount on the car, so I am hardly complaining.

I actually wanted keyless ignition.

I also have voice command of telephone, cd, radio/sat radio and sat nav -- this is an absoulte necessity since the MMI console and the stuff that is meant to be manipulated by the driver in this particular car requires 80 separate switches, levers and buttons.

Voice activiation is $350 before discount, pushbutton start is $750 before discount.

On the Audi you elect to either use the key conventionally or push the button to start and stop the car.

Voice is vital with so many things that can distract your attention.

Advanced key is fun and kinda cool.

They prices at the very least are backwards.

How much does that pushbutton switch cost? $100?

Most people can't see the value of the voice command and a lot of people buying these new cars are coming to expect pushbutton start and stop.

I would rather have a $750 less expensive car, now that I see what it is and how cool it is. It is, at most, $350 cool.

Voice command could save your life. Smart key -- no so much.

But everyone else has it, so VW might as well offer it too.
    <<A 2.0t as fast or on par with the Accord V6 and Maxima 3.5SE?

You'll have to show me some proven statments of that.

Isn't the Passat a 200 hp sedan vs. 240 and 265??? I find that hard to believe.>>

Horsepower is only a partial measure of what makes a car quick. Powerband characteristics, torque output, vehicle weight, gearing and even wheel and tire size and weight have a bearing on a vehicle's final performance. According to the road tests I was able to find, the Accord EX V6 sedan posts a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds. C&D tested a B7 Audi A4 powered by the 2.0T in the June 2005 issue and got it 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. Although the test Audi had the advantage of being mated to a six-speed manual, it was dealing with the added weight and complexity of Quattro, which causes measureable drops in 0-60 times, and the car is still 40 horsepower and 5 ft. lbs of torque shy of the Accord's output from it's 3.0 litre V6. Seeing as the 2.0T Passat will weigh less than the A4 and won'tbe dealing with frictional losses from Quattro, I see no reason to believe that a 6.9 second 0-60 time isn't possible with a 6-speed and that a 7.1 wouldn't be possible with the Tiptronic. The Maxima SE can post 0-60 times as low as 6.4 seconds, but keep in mind, it's powered by a 3.5 litre V6 that's closing in on 300 horsepower, and a fully loaded one built via Nissan's website hits just under $37k, about the same price and power points as the upcoming 3.6 litre V6 Passat. So the Passat 2.0T should be able to roughly match all it's 6-cylinder competitors except the Maxima (which has overboosted brakes, no available AWD and a cheap interior, but that's beside the point) which is priced to compete with the much more expensive 3.6 Passat. Something tells me the Passat will win.
  • deluxedeluxe Member Posts: 29
    As a not so happy Golf mk4 owner (thats whole another topic) and a man in a need of a new family car in next 4-5 months( waiting til 2006's cool off..), i was really critical in checking out the new passat. Some things I like, some I dont:
    I think vw still has one of the best interiors in his class, toyota and honda are close, mazda6 is not bad, nissan maxima dissapointed me(only interior,engine is great)
    New 2.0FSI is great, i dont really can afford v6, so i dont even wanna try it out, however there is that question, do you want four banger with 200hp, or some nice v6's with more hp for the same price. Why does the Dynaudio cost $1000? I know Bose audio systems also costs in the same ballpark, but that is a huge jump from Monsoon, which was sounding great and did not cost much(right?)
    I think vw has the prices perfectly set, they know people will be able to get the prices down 2-3k ( i think) so good equipped 2.0 should be able to go for 25-26k.
    Here is another comparison: Passat(200hp) vs Acura TSX (200hp), and just for the hell of it Hyundai Sonata ( yes, Sonata, 235hp). I know TSX is lil' smaller and I had to rev it more, but i could survive that, and does Passat justify 6k price over Sonata? Discuss!!
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Per Edmunds articles, VW America has stated their #1 goal is to be profitable.
    If that is by selling fewer cars at higher prices, then that will be what they do.

The 2006 Passat sounds like a nice improvement over current versions.

Questions this former SuperBeetle owner ponders are:

1. is reliability any better (VW's not all that good)
    2. is dealer attitude (service, etc.) going to improve with this new model?
    Per Edmunds articles, VW America has stated their #1 goal is to be profitable.
    If that is by selling fewer cars at higher prices, then that will be what they do.

I see. I guess that would make sense because of dollar/Euro situation (among other things) they really can't match the Japanese, much less the Koreans on price, while equipping their cars with such upscale featues like the new Passat has.

Edmunds seems to like the car, but then again they loved the previous Passat too. They say its a value compared other cars from MB/BMW/Audi, but that isn't VW's market imo.

M
    I won't believe a 200 Hp Passat is faster than a 240 HP Accord until I see some comparison tests.

Until then I simply will not believe it.