Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    You have to take into consideration of the bigger torque at a much lower rpm a Passat has.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Totally unrelated…isn’t the jockey in the picture above (article 525) a little “portly”.

Gorgeous pic of Passat.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    LOL You're totally right. He looks more like an oompa loompa :-)
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I think VW is target marketing short jockeys.

They just may succeed!
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I took a '06 Passat on a pretty good test drive today. From my perspective, I found little to like. From a power standpoint, driving the Passat back to back with a V6 Accord, the Accord was well ahead of the Passat, both in pure acceleration as well as quietness. Before my present car, I had 2000 and 2002 Passats, both V6 tips (technically, I had two 2002's, but the first one literally died with 35 miles on it and VW took it back). After the test drive, I felt my two earlier Passats were more quiet, especially in regards to road noise, the steering of the '06 needed fewer directional adjustments, but had less "road feel" and my perception of the interior of the new one was it looked cheaper and seemed less solid, overall. The WOW factor I found in my 2000 and 2002 Passats was gone. Before the test drive and just looking at it on paper I would have agreed with those who feel that the '06 is $2000 to $3000 overpriced. After driving it, my feeling is that it's $3000 to $4000 overpriced. Perhaps I'll give the V6 a try after it comes in to see if it changes my mind.
  • vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    I drove the new Passat and the V6 Accord last week in Detroit at a ride and drive. The Passat blew the Honda away on the road course. We were power sliding the Accord and the Passat held it's line. Just go to a dealer in the next week and see yourself. You will be surprised.
  • a911sa911s Member Posts: 13
    For some reason my local dealers haven't gotten any Passats yet. But I test drove an A3 with the (amazing) DSG tranny and the 2.0T blew me away. It's even more linear than my 1.8T with better pull from lower RPMs. It has higher torque output (173 Ft. Lbs vs. 207 is a big difference), and although my 1.8T starts making peak torque at 1950 RPM, it isn't untill about 3200 that it really seems to wind up and pull. The 2.0T started to pull hard at around 2200 RPM. The 3.0 V6 in the Accord is a moderately good engine, but 212 Ft. Lbs seems like low poer ouput for an i-VTEC equipped 3.0 litre V6 that can revv out to 6000 RPM. I'd like to see Honda put a slightly detuned version of the Acura TL's 3.2 into the Accord with 240-250 horsepower and 230-245 ft. lbs of torque and more avaliable power below 4000 RPM.
    Dealers are just now starting to get them. I am getting my first 2 by the weekend. The dealers in the southern part of the nation are getting them a little faster since they are primarily coming out of the port of Houston and in Georgia. The northern states will be getting them in the next week. The official launch date is the 13th of this month. If anyone is in the market for a new car and comparing it against a new 3 series and the Honda Accord, which I don't think even compares, it may be worth the wait to see it. VW is going to support this car right off the bat with some good financing and lease programs. There is going to be 3.9% up to 48 months and 4.9% for 60 months. There is also a lease for 36 months on it at $289 per month plus taxes with about $2200 due at signing. It will be well worth the wait.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sort of wish my 2004.5 lease expired within the next year. I would love to be able to consider a new Passat. I have less than 3 years left, maybe VW will offer another "get out of your lease early deal"....We'll see.
    They have lease pull ahead right now, but it only qualifies for people that leases that are expiring this year. I'm sure with all of the incentive wars, it will come again.
  • arrosenarrosen Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2002 Passat on lease that expires in November. Would I qualify for the "lease pull ahead" you mention? Where can I find out more info on it? Also, for the $289 lease special you mention, what is that for? Auto or Manual? Package 1 or 2?
    If you are leased through VCI, you should have received a letter stating that you qualify. If you haven't gotten it, call your local dealer and they should be able to pull your account up and tell you if you qualify. Unfortuately, the pull ahead doesn't qualify on the new Passat (right now). I think they will change that personally. It is on an automatic package 1.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    What is in the package 1?

Have the prices been released yet?
  • dtd07dtd07 Member Posts: 19
    If you want to have a idea of what the package is/are try this site out

http://www.columbiafleet.com/index.html

Just click on "build a car", year,make,model-then choose your options. Here in the Pacific NW-we don't need to to go to the dealer for a new car.
    this is the place that I would purchase it from. Purchase from them before at invoice plus 1% with $500.00 down, wait 3-4 months done...exactly what you want , they even take in trades, provide financing, and the best thing NO Dealer Hassle, can even take a test drive at the dealership and not have to talk to them...
    You get all the incentive, bonus, etc...(if avaliable)
    Just something to look at...IF you are in the Portland area it-would be the place to go. For others....Sorry. ;)
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    If one checks http://www.hwysafety.org/default.htm March 19, 2005 special report, the 1999-2002 Passat versions had the 3rd lowest rate of driver death from accidents. About half of the deaths were from roll overs -- the new 2006 Passat has stability control, and is wider, so roll over deaths should decrease. In addition, the other deaths were from single vehical accidents -- I would think it fair to blame most of those deaths on the driver. So I feel rather confident, given the above and the hight strength steel being used in the 06 Passat, that it is one of the safest vehicals on the road, be it car, or SUV. The Honds Accord has three times the driver death rate of the Passat (and for those statistically inclined, the 95% confidence intervals do NOT over lap!).
  • wanderswanders Member Posts: 2
    8/5/05 - Austin TX (Loop 360) - heavy rainstorm - I see a car with a VW badge go by that I don't recognize, so I downshift and go after it - I'm driving my 1999 Passat GLS sedan with OEM HIDs.

Sure enough, it's a black 2006 2.0t Passat with dealer plates - rear treatment dominated by new red & clear taillights (are they LEDs? they sure have quick rise/fall times) - front is very similar to new Jetta and Phaeton - side profile is much nicer looking in person than in photos IMO.

Will VWOA will price it competitively?

Willie
    Check out these commercials at http://www.drivingaddict.com/
    When you go to www.vwaddict.com, click on the "Self Help" tab. there are some instructions there that say to visit vinnie.vw.com, but that address doesn't exist...either that or I just cant read and maybe it is not 'vinnie'. Can anyone make out what it says? Maybe I am just a moron...who knows...
    Just click the link. It's www.drivingaddict.com, not vwaddict.com.
    yeah...i typed in the incorrect url in this message..but read my post. there is some additional info on the 'Self Help' tab. I can't make it out very well...can you?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    These figures are largely meaningless as the data only goes to 2002. We're getting into the 2006 models now and a whole lot of cars have gotten a lot safer in the last four years.
    According to a local dealer site, it's more like $2400 drive off and $289 a month, 36 months, 10k miles per year.

I'm trying to get more details on money factor, MSRP, residual.
    Nice car.....so so commercials!! Those commercials are not nearly as good as the old licking the door handle one's. I really look forward to seeing and driving the new Passat. But those commercial did NOTHING for me.
    I thought the blender one was pretty good :)
  • owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    When will the AWD version be here? When will they start takings orders on them?
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    My local dealer had an add in the paper today, they have six of the 06's in stock.
    Yup, seen several ads in the newspaper. They seem to be advertising the $289.00 per month lease deals. If I were in the market now, I would consider such a lease.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Its from VWVortex.com, but it isn't quite as biased as you think:

Passat V6

"Overall we're impressed with the new Passat 3.6. VW has built a far superior car dynamically with better handling, more power, more features and more room. Unfortunately, the ride can be a bit choppy with 18-inch wheels (subjective), wind noise is a bit more than we expected and a few interior materials seem to not be up to VW's usually high standards. Those complaints are reaching a bit, though - as a whole package, the new Passat is very good. We give the new 3.6-liter V6 a big thumbs-up for its improved (or finally returned?) German driving dynamics, big torque and horsepower characteristics, improved features and space and overall fun-to-drive character."

M
  • zhd535zhd535 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone here took delivery of a 06 Passat 2.0T, What is the actual price you paid? These pre-market version usually have a sticker of $27,440.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I was suprised. I stopped at a dealer over the weekend and saw that the 06 Passats they had were made in Germany. I thought Mexico was to be the assembly plant.
    Nope....all Passats are built in germany. The Jetta is built in a plant in Mexico.

I just got back from the dealer and had a chance to inspect and sit in a new Passat. Looks like a GREAT car. It looks like they are going upclass compared to my 04.5 Passat. Details look real good. I just hope the reliablility improves.
    The national VW deal is for a package 1 with automatic and includes 12K miles per year. $2414 to start includes fees, 1250 cap reduction and 1st month.
    MSRP = 27,215
    Down = 1,250
    Dealer Discount = 476
    Cap Cost = 25,489
    Money Factor = .00065 (1.56%)
    Residual = 59% (for 15K, resid = 57%)
    Monthly = 289.01 + tax

So, according to my calculations:
    For 15K, monthly = 304 + tax
    15K, no down = 339 + tax
    Pkg 2, 15K, no down = $354 + tax
  • spam_bacon_spaspam_bacon_spa Member Posts: 1
    (hijacking topic:)
    FYI:

The horse is performing a "Levade", an extremely complicated maneuver taught after many years of training...the rider, is NOT a jockey, but rather a dressage rider.
    The movements of dressage at the very highest levels (haute ecole) were adopted from battle maneuvers... a Levade was used to rise high above an opponent in order to overtake them....

http://www.lipizzaner.com/Airs_Above_the_Ground.asp

http://www.lipizzaner.com/Terms_and_Definitions.asp
    The dealer I went to had ZERO cars equiped without leather, nav, etc......all were pretty decked well out.
    heh...ok...i'll take your word on that :)
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    I test drove the 2006 for the day on July 15th. As an owner of the current B5.5, I can tell that I was extremely impressed. The 2.0T engine really takes Turbos to a new level. With very little lag, it was a great car to drive. I put 350 miles on the car and was sad to see it go. I'm patiently waiting for my local dealership to contact me on a "deal" to turn in my current lease which ends in a year.

Drive it and you'll like it..
    So automatic is the only option in Package 1?

Local dealer gave me these numbers:

M.S.R..P $27440---

RESIDUAL $16464

MONEY FACTOR 00080-----------------------------------------------$1988 CASH-

He hasn't replied to my additional inquiries though. Probably doesn't want his deal shopped around. Looks like he's added some points to the MF.
  • mikeyd1mikeyd1 Member Posts: 1
    Mexico makes the New Beetles and the Jettas only at this time. :shades:
    I could've sworn reading that the Passat was switching to Mexico as well in order to overcome the Euro - Dollar issue.
    The 2.0T does come in a manual transmission...I don't think any are available yet.

The residual is correct for a 12K lease (59%), but it looks like either your credit score is a bit lower than required or they are fleecing you a bit on the money factor. The money factor for someone with excellent credit is .00065.

The cash is a bit less than the national program...what was the monthly payment they offerred?
  • gtispeedracrgtispeedracr Member Posts: 1
    The Passat videos are back online:

http://drivingaddict.com/

the auto hold one is great
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    They let you put 350 miles on a new 2006 car in a 1 day test drive?
    He wouldn't confirm the monthly payment.

This was an email quote. He doesn't know my credit score. He's trying to get more margin on the financing, apparently. Even .00080 was pretty good, I thought. Until I saw the .00065.

I would do it for 289 plus tax and about 1500 down with no other fees. Pending test drive of course.
    I'm driving one Wednesday next week. I won't be able to do 350 miles but I'll do my best!! :)
    I am waiting for my turn to be an Alpha driver!!!! :cry:
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I hope the Passat assembly stays in Germany.
    Seems most of the product comming out of VW Mexico is plagued with reliability issues...would love to understand why that is so.
    I'd also be interested to know how much cheaper it is to produce the Passat in Mexico vs. Germany.

Is it 5-600, or 5-6000?

I'd be willing to pay 5-600 for a "genuine" German car.

Although, I suppose it's more important that it's designed/engineered in Germany than built there.
  • newpassatownernewpassatowner Member Posts: 1
    I just Bought My New 06 Passat on July 31st.

I love the car. I've got the itnermediate version with 2.oT engine and the sunroof.

The car is Built 80% In Germany, The transmission is built in Japan and 1% of the content is from the US.

I Hope this answer your questions!

I took this info from the sticker
    I must've misread something.

As for how much cheaper? I wouldn't be suprised to see it around 20-25%. No tarriffs, no euro-dollar exchange issues, lower freight costs, lower labor costs...