Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Given that I've seen the question of "Can I use Regular fuel in my car that recommends Premium fuel?" question quite often over the years (more recently than ever before, not surprising what with our current fuel prices), I'm wondering if we should conspire with our benevolent hosts to come up with a global topic on this very issue.

Then of course there is the fact that some of us are (or might be soon) driving a car with some form of forced induction (supercharging, turbocharging or even both), the issue becomes even more poignant due to the exaggerated thermal dynamics that such engines routinely encounter, even on the way to the grocery store much less during a full-throttle freeway merge. So, for all folks driving things like blown 2.0T Passats, A3s, A4s, TTs, Allroads, Saab 93s and 95s, blown Volvos, as well as other miscellaneous cars with breathed on engines, the course of action is very simple: USE PREMIUM FUEL if you want the best possible economy. Period, full stop, the end.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I was very impressed with the 06 Passat but I need a beater car that can withstand the punishment of my 70 mile daily commute. My concern here is reliability. I drive too much to lease so I am buying, and plan to keep the car at least 5 years. My other car is an 03 A4 and it had a lot of annoying little problems. So here's the question. Spring for a few thousand more and buy my other choice, an Acura TSX or take a chance on VW's bad service and poor reliability.

Common sense says go with the TSX, my heart says Passat. Oh the choices! :confuse:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    70 per day/ or 1500 or so a month = 18,000 miles per year. For five years that should keep you under 100,000 miles...of which an extended warranty should cover.

Personally if I were to spend that much time in a car I would make sure it’s the one I “want”. A five year marriage with the one you settled on could seem like an eternity :)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I hope you also ask RSX forum. Here most people will shout Passat. I saw it yesterday "in person" on a street. Rear is nice, front would be allright, too if not the same chrome nose thing as in Jetta. Just awful.

I personally did not do any real competitive comparison with TSX, but something tells me if equipped similarly, prices would be close. You probably can can "unloaded" Passat, as opposed to TSX, at least technically (after what I heard about Jetta, it would not surprise me if strippers were hard to find).

I think it boils down to your personality. If weekend in Vegas with gambling whole night is your dream vacation, Passat is your thing (don't even think about Acura). If any time stock marked goes down, your compulsion is to sell everything and run, go Acura (actually, go Camry, but you set those two as choices). Now, these are extremes and simplifications, you are probably are in between. Just think where is closer. What is stronger: good feeling about nice stuff (which TSX has as well) or big fear of another ignition coil problem (or something like that).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .I have to agree, go with the one you want. Get the extended warranty, tho.

5 years is forever these days. And, 18K miles is a no brainer in terms of leasing these days. Heck, buy 54K miles (3/yr) and if you are in love with the thing buy it at lease end (get the smart lease or smart buy or whatever they call their version of an open ended lease --- you cut your risk, you get some equity (although that is somewhat of an oxymoron with a car.))

If the Passat plucks the strings of your automotive heart -- what a shame to go with the lesser because it is possibly more reliable.

If we married thusly there would be no romance.

"Ah but she's a sturdy and reliable lass. . ." (or laddie, as the case may be.)

:shades:
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    >Just think where is closer. What is stronger: good feeling about nice stuff (which TSX has as well) or big fear of another ignition coil problem (or something like that).

The ignition coil issue has long since been resolved after the late 2002-early 2003 model year.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    C'mon now gang. This VW reliability issue is so trivial in my opinion. I have only owned 3 VW's to date. But I have had a lot of general experience with them living in Germany for 9 years (my friends had Golfs with many, many thousands of kilometers under their hoods). Yes, big difference between Deutschland and USA, as far a mechanic's competency levels are concerned. But, the car is no piece of junk! The VW of America customer service is constantly broken, but after a few phone calls, it's no longer an issue. Only 1 VW gave me serious problems. That was my 02 Jetta wagon with the coil issue. All 4 coils decided to go belly up at the same time on me. Fixed. No problem. My Passat wagon is reliable. Period. My 97 Jetta GLX's plug wires dumped on my at 80,000 miles and proved to be an expensive part to replace, but the VR6 under the hood was enough to make anything worth it. :)
    I have visited other VW forums on the web and always read the Honda vs Volkswagen skirmish. I get the impression these forums are made up of mostly young ___________ (enter your own word) and they spend too much time just trying to "punk each other out" by all the insults and name calling. They are mostly "tuners" (which until recently I thought were home stereo components) and perhaps fabricate stories just to make the other guy looks like a pin head for not buying their favorite brand car. You know the game. They claim brand-X is junk even though they have no experience with brand-X, or maybe not even brand -Y, or Z.
    SO my advice? Ignore most stuff you hear/read. I think CR are paid tools. How do I figure? well, if you do a sweep of the news stand and see the reviews for these cars, you will see so many contradictory reviews of them. These people are not stupid. They know what to look for in a car. You even get contradictions from the same publication. How many times have I read a positive review on brand X just to see another reference to that car 6 months later calling it inferior? C'mon, gimmie a break. I just think this country is anti-VW. Why else would there be an agreement to keep their engines governed to a top speed of 130 mph, while any other manufacturer can set theirs at their own choosing? Why else would all the British press rave (and I mean with drooling action) about VW's reliability? Go to almost any British auto mag and see for yourself. They're online. Why do the Brits have VWs with the same engines getting considerably higher mpg ratings than ours here? Then most important, why does everyone else get so many options available with a manual gearbox? Yes, I know, I'm on that kick again. If you take America out of the picture, you will come to the conclusion that VW is one of the most popular brands on the road with a reliability history that would blow our minds. I wonder why?
    So, Here's what you do: Decide which car has that certain "something" that trips your trigger. Sounds to me you enjoy the driving experience and/or want to enjoy your experience. I feel VW has that certain "feel" (contrary to one fellow on another forum who says VW has poor "driving dynamics" compared to anything else out there. See what I mean about uneducated opinions around some forums?) that excites the senses on the road. I don't even miss the "foo-foo gizmos" found in the other "near-luxury/family car" competition. the cockpit layout/driver position (ergonomics) of a VW are enough compensation to last a lifetime.
    Done. :blush:
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    I guess I should begin by agreeing with your opening comments about people posting who know little or nothing about cars in general and particularly the ones they are trashing online, and about the appalling ineptitude of VWA and its dealers. Suffice to say that when VWA wanted my "Alpha Driver" comments on Passats I was able to say it all in four words - "Cars good, dealers bad"

On the other hand, some of your complaints are not justified:

- "I just think this country is anti-VW. Why else would there be an agreement to keep their engines governed to a top speed of 130 mph, while any other manufacturer can set theirs at their own choosing?"

VWA could remove the governors if it chose to, just as any other manufacturer or importer can. Like most others it limits speed on all but exotics for two simple reasons - to avoid criticism for encouraging reckless speeding and, more to the point, to save money by equipping cars with H-rated tires rather than the much more costly ones required for speeds above 130 mph.

- "Why else would all the British press rave (and I mean with drooling action) about VW's reliability? Go to almost any British auto mag and see for yourself. They're online."

Whether we like it or not, VWs in general in NOT as reliable as most Japanese cars and many from Korea and North America. This does not mean they are unreliable, just not as reliable as most cars not built in Europe or Mexico.

Furthermore, most other European cars are less reliable statistically than VWs, including Merc and BMW and especially most British, French and Italian cars. Ever owned an Alpha, a Fiat or anything with Lucas electrics? That's why UK reviewers praise VW reliability.

- "Why do the Brits have VWs with the same engines getting considerably higher mpg ratings than ours here? "

Simple - Britain uses the Imperial measurement standard. Imperial pints are about 20 oz. vs 16 oz. in the USA. Quarts and gallons are likewise more than 20% greater in volume than US quarts and gallons.

- "Then most important, why does everyone else get so many options available with a manual gearbox?"

This is market driven, simply supply and demand based upon the demonstrated preferences of American car buyers, who prefer automatics. VW, BMW, SAAB. Volvo etc. all find that manuals are difficult to sell here. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.

All in all, there is no Grand Conspiracy here, just a few simple if unpleasant facts.
    Now, I do stand corrected on most issues. I understand the problems associated with Lucas systems. I do however fully believe that the VW's in other parts of the world do have a better record than ours here.
    There is one point I want to make clear here. There are so many conspiracy theories out there about everything, from 9/11 on to fluoridation of water (remember our precious bodily fluids) and while I normally roll my eyes at such notions, I want to have conspiracy theories for a change. Please let me be a conspiracy theorist for a day. It almost feels fun. If not Volkswagens, then I'm going to go off on a JFK tangent. ;)
    You're preaching to the choir - I've owned 5 VWs over 25 years:

1975 Scirocco (250,000 miles)
    1987 Golf GT (624,000 miles)
    1997 Jetta Trek (Just turned 149,000 miles)
    2003 Wolfsburg Jetta (Just turned 56,000 miles)
    2003 Passat GLS 1.8T (wife's car - Just turned 36,000 miles)

I wouldn't continue to drive these cars if they were junk. As long as you keep up with the maintenance, these cars will give you driving enjoyment for years - I'm living proof of that... :shades:
    I know, it was a joke.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    I recently purchased a 2006 Passat 2.0T for a great price and have nothing but great things to say about it thus far. This is my first Volkswagen and my first German car. I have owned a variety of cars in the past from Camaro's to Mustangs, Honda's, Ford Explorer, Grand Prix's...but they don't even compare to the engineering behind the 06 Passat. I love this car and have no complaints about it. I think VW did a great job witht he redesign and now have a new lifetime customer...once you get a taste of German engineering..you can never go back!!! I am hooked.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Volkswagen Family!!!
    You said it - you JUST bought the car. Perhaps in five years you'll say the same thing. I certainly hope so.

Every new generation of those cars I get excited. Unfortunately, further analysis always strips the enthusiasm: too expensive, too dicey in terms of reliability. Numbers don't lie and they say that VW is currently at the very bottom (and by far) of the industry with both initial and close to bottom with mid-term quality. It is closely followed by MB. Even the greatest car with best gadgets stops being a car when it sits a a shop.... :( Until they clear the bottom, I will do just that: get excited and not buy at the end...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

. . .the issues of the naysayers are often the same.

VW's drive like, uh, German cars -- this, for some of us, beats the heck out of the driving experience of cars from other countries.

Sticks and stones, I say, sticks and stones.

One point: 130MPH limiters ARE indeed due to the market. The US market doesn't like summer tires and winter tires. It seems to like all season tires.

Sure, UHP all season tires are offered by most of the biggie tire companies -- and although they are compromises, they do perform better than non-UPH all season tires and some will even outperform certain summer tires.

Audi, for instance, used to put UHP summer only tires on its cars. I believe VW did too. The result, generally, cars that handled great, had short tire life and "issues" in the winter.

Solution for the "different" American operational style: High Performance (not UHP) all season tires of increasingly lower profile but with: low noise and long tread life (relatively speaking.) These tires were not as sticky and the sidewalls flex a bit more, but they are at least 25,000 mile tires -- perhaps 35,000 mile tires or better. They are not unsafe, but they can be used pretty much year round. And, H rated means 130mph is OK.

We get what we ask for -- even if we say we want something different.
    BTW...I am not basing my information on VW reliability by what I read. I happen to own an Audi A4, and although I LOVE the car, it has had quite a bit of little annoying problems. In my 20 years of driving I've never been to a dealership more than what I did with my A4. I agree with the notion of driving what you love, but if it goes along with one of the things that most people hate ie. dealing with a car dealer's service dept. you start weighing your options.

It will still come down to the wire with me, I do like how the TSX drives, but the Passat does pull at my heart strings.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Audi, for instance, used to put UHP summer only tires on its cars. I believe VW did too."

Audi still does, at least on the Sport Package for the A3. Even so, said A3 is saddled with a 130 mph governor. The question is, "Should we really care?"

I have to admit that it annoyed me that my 530i SP had the same governor, however, given that I picked the car up in Germany I at least had a chance to push the car much higher, errr, would have if it hadn't had said limiter. Grrr. Once I got the car over here in the States I never even came close to 120 much less 130 so it was pretty much a moot point. Do I care that the potential A3 in my future might could well have a 130 mph limit? Nope, not in the least.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Gee, why do I always open these cans of worms? Why, I haven't seen anything calling VW at the bottom of the reliability food chain. Don't let my car hear that or it may break. Seriously, I live over 100 miles from the nearest VW dealership. It's all I can do to go in and have the regularly scheduled services completed, and do my own oil changes when the scheduled service is nothing more than a change. Why in God's green little world would I subject myself, my family and my own sanity to this way of living if it was at the bottom of the reliability food chain? Kinda dumb. Numbers, numbers, numbers. Here's what you do:
    1. Open the owner's manual.
    2. Check out those numbers, especially the ones pertaining to services.
    3. Follow the instructions carefully.
    4. Understand German engineering is different. It gets a little elaborate. I guess it has something to do with the German psych. I don't know. What ever it is, needs to be maintained by competent hands. When this is done, the requirements of what was supposed to have been read, understood and followed have been met and you may be in the same boat as I am. I refuse to trade a VW in on anything other than a VW. In the last 10 years, I have never lived closer that 80 miles to any VW dealership (I used to move alot) and have never had to visit them more than twice for anything other than factory service. The past 10 years! Three cars in a row. those two times? My window choked in my Old Jetta -- Out of service, but repaired free anyway because they know anything else would be wrong. The other time was my coils on the newer Jetta -- Done, free again under warranty, but is a recall anyway. Seems Toyota is having problems with their steering now. Gee, you going to label them at the bottom now? I would. The bottom of the appeal food chain maybe.
  • analyst7analyst7 Member Posts: 12
    I currently own a 2004 Acura TSX but I just test drove the Passat 2.0T and found it to be a great car from an engine, ride, handling and price perspective. But I have issues with the option packaging, especially when I am used to all the amenities that come standard with the TSX.

You can't get the true luxury package option in the 2.0T that you have available with the VW's 3.6 six-cylinder engine. No wood trim, powerseats, Homelink, etc. is available with the 2.0, as I understand it. The "power" in the seats of the 2.0 luxury package is the recline only, everything else is a handpump, like a barber's chair. The 2.0T engine is more than most people will need - it spools up fast. I don't need the 3.6's much higher cost, lower mileage and higher insurance bills. Why VW didn't make the same options available at the 2.0T level is a mystery to me. VW may have been trying to force consumers to take the higher engine, but they will lose additional business instead, from people like me that see the value in the 2.0 but are used to certain interior comforts.
  • analyst7analyst7 Member Posts: 12
    I actually shared my thoughts in message 746 before I saw this. I own a 2004 TSX auto and commute 65 miles each day on the 405 in LA. I am considering trading it in because the TSX has a pretty firm ride that becomes irksome over time if you commute over a crappy freeway's expansion joints. I love many things about the TSX, especially its design and interior. The engine, transmission and handling are very sweet, so it's just the firm ride I have an issue with. It's been a completely reliable car, though.

I drove the Passat 2.0T and found it to be much faster and smoother than the TSX, but I can't option the 2.0T out with things like HomeLink, wood trim or even power seats that come standard with the TSX (I have beige leather w/wood trim). You have to get the Passat 3.6 to access those kind of amenities. If those things don't concern you, get the Passat - it's a better driving car than the TSX.
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    VWoA had a live broadcast last night for their Alpha Drivers program participants. Here are the highlights.. I'm sure there will be comments, remember I'm only the messenger:

1.) The new VR6 3.6 Passat will be here in October.

2.) The 2.0T w/ the Manual Transmission will be here in November.

3.) There are no current plans for a TDI version of the new Passat.

4.) Most Passat option packages will be limited and predetermined based on current ownership trends. I.E.. No special orders at this time. (However, this may change).

5.) Discussion about the low customer satisfaction that has plagued VW for the last few years. (I'll finally put my 2 cents in here.. Can't sugarcoat this, they know there is a problem and hope to address it. I would have liked to hear a plan, a DEFINED plan of action to get the dealer networks and VWoA on right path. Only time will tell. )

6.) Upcoming new cars: More plans for "R" models outside the GTI. Concept C, now known as EOS should be here by late summer 06. Concept R however, was terminated.

Hope you find this stuff helpful. ;)
    Thanks for your perspective, I think that the TSX is a tremendous bang-for-the buck. With the Passat you give up amenities for driving dynamics. As you mentioned, that to get the kind of equipment that comes standard with the TSX an equivalent Passat would cost thousands more. I've already mentioned the things that lure more towards the Passat, but TSX appeals to me because:

1) It's reliable
    2) The bugs have been worked out, Passat is brand new.
    3) It's safe, the Passat will probably be safer, but no crash tests yet
    4) Acura service is way better than VW.
    5) A lot more luxury features for the price.

Both great cars no doubt, it doesn't make it any easier. :confuse:
  • earcomearcom Member Posts: 16
    A couple of other things worth considering: the new Passat is a very nice car on the highway due to low engine RPMs thanks to the six speed transmission (it still has lots of power at low RPMs) and is also very quiet when cruising down the road. You do hear some tire rumble but that's because there is so little wind and engine noise thus making the rumble a bit noticeable. I also like having the satellite radio.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    You do hear some tire rumble but that's because there is so little wind and engine noise thus making the rumble a bit noticeable.

I have test-driven three new Passats. All three had noticeable wind noise at highway speeds. Haven't driven the TSX so can't compare it but the Acura TL is substantially more quiet as regards wind noise than the Passat.
  • eightiescubeightiescub Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps I'm reading the manual wrong for my new Passat 2.0T but it sounds like I should be able to close any open windows and the sunroof using the remote control or driver side door controls...anyone know if this is true and if so...HOW???
    I know you'll never convince the faithful, but lets try with those who still grasp concept of data and numbers. Both JD Power and Consumer Reports agree on putting VW and some MB models at the bottom of their charts. Now, Toyota fixing steering problem will probably show up in their next review, but I doubts it will be enough to put them at the bottom, as some of the VW faithful would like to. They would probably have to have ten more across-the-board recalls to match long lasting record. But what do I know...

From what I read about VW/Audi the biggest chunk of reliability problems comes from widely defined electrical system (similar with MB). I know some VW owners and they all reported many so-called small troupbles with switches, wiring, etc. showing up within first couple of years of their ownership. Basically many people end up getting this wonderful machine and after couple of months they have to visit dealerships to fix CD player, power window switch, trip computer, Nav system, etc. (MB). Definitely a lot fewer of them get actually stranded somewhere in a rain, but it happens, too. No big deal, you may say - the problem is those boring no-soul Japanese or now even those lame domestics do not exhibit those things in numbers that are even close.

These problems cannot be prevented by good maintenance, they are embeded in the manufacturing process by poor quality of the supplied parts, (e.g. too fragile) or poorly assembled by a lazy and rude German union worker (Detroit teamsters are labor ants compared to those guys) who could not care less or worse - poorly qualified barely literate Mexican/Brazillian villager after two-month course and who doesn't know any better.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

My 2003 Audi A4 is one of the best and worst cars I've ever owned. Here's what I've experienced. A lot of the plastic around the stereo is flaking off or bubbling. The center console just broke. The leather is already cracking and the car is 2 YEARS OLD. One of the bearings on the front axle went bad. The car's traction control system went haywire and it beeps like crazy everytime I make a sharp turn. As I've said, I've never had a car with so many problems since I've been driving. The scary part, Audis are supposed to be built better than VWs. Having said all that, I still love driving it.

PS-- I service the car religiously, so all of these problems are not because of neglect.
    You probably reflect sentiment of many owners - the best and the worst at the same time... I guess that's why they're still in the business - some people don't want to give up on them and give them a chance one after another...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    What's your point? You've been carping about VW's reliability and shilling for Japanese cars in the same time. This is a Passat fans forum. You are in a wrong place.
    Oh, my bad, I didn't know this is "cool kids" only forum :blush: .

Well, in some way I consider myself a fan, just not a blind one, who pretend things are not there. I like a lot about VWs, even used to own one. The point is I am hoping and hoping that there will be a day I will run to a VW dealer and scream: "Give me one - I will pay you MSRP plus ADP, load all rustproofing and coating you want, just please, please sell me one because I want it so badly and can't wait anymore".

Then of course new Passat comes. I got really excited and was looking forward to it. Read couple of good reiews, saw some nice pictures. Impressive. Of course, the pricing came later. Although I expected a raise, I got stunned. When you add reliability record on top of it - I make a pass. In few years, when data comes in and confirms claimed improvements (everybody claims improvements - I need real data), I may come in again. Because I LIKE IT (except that hideus chrome on the nose, but that's a separate issue). I just don't like it enough, not today...

Now, if you want to throw me out for what you see as pooping the party, go ahead...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The personal comments are out of line.

Members do not have to be a fan of any particular vehicle to express opinions in a discussion about that vehicle. We are all free to disregard any post we don't wish to read and should choose to do just that instead of posting personally directed comments.

Also, no one throws anyone out of here but me. :D :shades:
    Sorry, got to personal. Stopping now. :blush:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

New Audis -- and I HOPE VW's -- offer the buyer the choice of tires summer UHP or all season HP -- even if you opt for the HP wheels (18" alloys), it is possible to designate 18" 245 x 40 x 18" HP A/S tires. I know, I did this, because I hate Audis choice of UHP Summer only tires (they are noisy and have really short tread life.)

Ultimately, I will probably go ahead and get summer only UHP tires (Z or better rated.)

Tire/wheel changovers due to the season just don't fit here in the US -- which I find odd, since I grew up in central/western Ohio and every winter my dad used to put "snow tires" on the Chrysler.

It is so rare to see summer and winter tires here in SW Ohio that those who do use "winter tires" stand out by virtue of the fact that so few folks use them.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    3.) There are no current plans for a TDI version of the new Passat.

HUGE MISTAKE enough said.

DL
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Man, there are times I hate being 6'4"! The Passat is one of the few cars I can fit comfortable in - the TSX isn't an option. I might end up with a Passat Wagon next year. But for the reset of the car-crazed true Drivers -

Another option has just become available. For 2006, Honda's Accord has a new model - the EX-V6 with a 6-speed manual ! It's got all the safety stuff, heated leather, 30 mpg highway - for under $28k. For those who haven't driven an Accord, expect a level of suppleness and smoothness that is very satisfying. That, with top-shelf reliability. I almost bought an LX with the 4-cyl and manual trans, and still might.

Sure wish I could fit into the EX - the dang sunroof is standard, and takes almost 2" out of the headroom!
  • supercommutersupercommuter Member Posts: 2
    I would like to share my mpg findings with my Passat 2.0T Automatic. I am getting 28mpg average when driving 15% city/traffic and 85% open freeway.

Mileage definately starts to decrease above 70mph... though it is hard to maintain such a low speed with the Passat. The onboard computer can help getting better mileage. I tend to keep a distance from the car in front of me to avoid any breaking.

If I can keep my foot from stepping on the gas too hard and drive 65-70 I should be able to get 30mpg or even more. Traffic/city driving really decreases the mileage quickly.
  • supercommutersupercommuter Member Posts: 2
    I am 6'6' and the new Passat and the new Jetta were the only cars I reasonable fit. I bought the Passat 2.0T Automatic. My right leg still hit the center console but at least not the steering wheel. I wish there was a bench seat version. But I guess that is a pipe dream.
  • zebezebe Member Posts: 2
    I agree with your comments dino001.
    It seems that VW has been trying for years to build a loyal group of owners, however, rather than doing that building a reliable product, they are spending money on marketing to create a “VW family”.
    I owned 5 VWs so far, still have one, 2003 Passat. I used to tell people that VWs are good cars they might squeak or make other noises, but they will never leave you in the middle of the road.
    Oh how wrong I was…, new VWs are not build the same way. Sure their engine will last, is just all that other “stuff” that will fail.
    In my case, I was already questioning VW quality, but I bought another one, because I needed a station wagon and I was not big fun of SUVs.
    Anyway, my, or rather my wife’s Passat, left her stranded last November; fuel pump and computer failed. We had to tow, less that 2-year-old car with 20K on it, and it took VW 3 days to fix it. During those 3 days local dealership in Devon, PA acted like they were doing us a favor by even looking at the car. I was never offered a loaner, nor anybody ever said sorry for the inconvenience.
    In the spring of this year I bought a new car for myself, and no it was not VW. I think I am done with them, reliability is one thing, and another is customer service, which “sucks”.
    Last comment, is it just me or the new Jetta looks like Toyota Corolla?
    Posting in more than one forum isn't necessary - we got the message...
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Supercommuter, does your new Passat have a sunroof? I'm interested in how the headroom is with sunroof as it seems it will be tough to find a 2.0T without one. I'm about your size and have an '03 GL with no sunroof, which has plenty of headroom. I like to sit fairly upright w/o having to recline the seatback to avoid hitting the headliner. Can you do that in the new Passat?
  • cardriver06cardriver06 Member Posts: 47
    hey nice to know that
    can u share how much did u paid for this vehicle.and in which state.

thanks

vw
  • cardriver06cardriver06 Member Posts: 47
    hi folks!

was just wondering if any one know where i can get a resonable warranty on a passat 06,i am talking about the extended warranty,any websites or vendors

plzz let me know!
  • 2005es3302005es330 Member Posts: 4
    I was interested in 06 Passat and wen to a VW dealer (Puente Hills VW of Los Angeles) to look at the car. I was really attracted to the car and wanted to have a test drive. I asked one salesman and he said he was busy (it was 10:00 o'clock in the morning on a Tuesday and there were very few customers at the dealership). He told a new salesman to show me the car. When I told the new salesman that I'd like to test-drive a new Passat. He looked at me and said that he needed to pick up a phone call and left me in the parking lot. I waited for 10 minutes in the parking lot. He never returned and no other salesman came to me. I was wearing T-shirt and jeans and probably didn't look wealthy enough to them, I guess. Perhaps the salesmen didn't think that I could afford a new Passat from my appearance. With this kind of sales attitude, how could I expect good after-sale service? I left Puente Hills VW and went to a Lexus dealer. The sales folks at the Lexus dealer were very helpful and treated me with dignity and good service. I bought a new Lexus.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Have you thought about contacting the VW dealer and speaking with the Sales manager and letting them know of your experience? I would hope they would be interested in learning that they possibly lost a sale due to their unprofessional sales staff..
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    That is totally different from what I experienced at my VW dealership (Calgary, Canada). I dropped by a local VW dealership durng a hot summer afternoon. I wore shorts and sandals. When I made the request to take a test drive, the store manager gladly complied and gave me the keys of a Passat TDI and a Jetta TDI to compare. He let me to drive myself and even did not ride with me. I was quite happy with the Passat TDI, and ended up brought one.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like you had an excellent experience and they earned your business.
  • dtd07dtd07 Member Posts: 19
    To think in this day and age, when other makers are discounting cars like hotcakes-here we have a person willing and wanting to put some dough down,
    these (two) salesmens walks off...WOW-- :surprise:
    In a commission paid position you (2005es330) are the person I would like to have around and to think we want them (salesmen) to leave us alone while we look around.

To bad, so sad :cry: dealer is crying now...
    I said it before, andI'll say it again: VWoA is VW's worst enemy.
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Member Posts: 28
    I live in Dallas area and I went to the Dealership in Lewisville with my wife and 2 cars to get their approval on the 2006 Passat. It was a Saturday afternoon at 3:30 pm, we seat in the Passat, the Jetta, messing around, went to the bathroom, go out to the Parking lot to look at different color, came back and grab 2 complimentary diet coke and water. We spent total of almost 30 mins and not one manager, saleman, reception, mechanic talk or even say hello to us. Needless to say, my wife give me the big "THUMB DOWN". :mad:
  • thunderbolt2thunderbolt2 Member Posts: 1
    What type of fuel does the 2.0T require? I test drove a 2006 today and was told by the salesman that premium grade is what is recommended. Has anyone got real world fuel mileage numbers yet?