Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    hows life? i have now driven about 6,000 miles with the new Ranger. i have had no problems and i am very happy with it now. at first i had misgivings about it based on what people said about their rangers. but now that i have driven it and spent enough time to know what it can do in various situations, i love it. i am getting about 21 or 22 mpg, even with the auto and 4.10 gears. its peppy and can haul its share as well. plus it looks a damn sight better than those nasty Tacomas. :)
    i know i was complaning about wanting a 3.0 V6 but i dont now. now that i have seen what mine can do, like you, I see what Built Ford Tough means. and to think i also looked at s-10's when i was younger. *shudder* i would be sleeping at the dealership!
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    That's great milage for a 4 cylinder extended cab too.
    I've had my '93 since I was 17, and being that this was the first (and last) vehicle I've ever purchased and driven, that's a testimonial in itself. Just think 17 year old, high school drivers. And throw in a few weeks at the beach, many trips through the mountains in Arkansas, and all the abuse in between. I've raced a buddy's wrangler(a 4cylinder manual, vs my 4 cyl auto) on the beach, and won. I've pulled a few imports out of a few ruts in Arkansas with a tow strap. I did replace a transmission at 130,000 miles, but the valve cover gasket is factory sealed, and my original alternator still powers my 600 watt stereo, for the past 6 years.
    Just give her a little maintenance and TLC, and it'll run for a good long time. Not having a car payment really does rock. I'm think I may be getting to sentimental to trade her in.
    And as far as speed goes, it's no pocket rocket, but it an hold it's own against most other 4 bangers. Got it up to 110 mph once (redlined, and speedometer needle pegged on the trip meter), according to a friend who's speedometer goes past 85. :)

But I do love the Edge look, and can't wait to see what comes in 2003. Take care!
    that really inspires confidence. :)
    mine isnt an extended cab, though. i think thats what you meant by your comment at the top.
    the more i hear about these trucks the more i am comfortable and happy with my purchase. i intend to drive it til it pukes.
    Thought you said that you did have an extended cab. But anyways, with basically the same truck (you just have the longer stroke) I still get that same milage, in the city, 138,000 miles later...

Well recently I did have a problem with my truck. The driver side door handle, on the inside would stick in the open position.

A quick squirt of WD-40 fixed it though. :)
  • gk3gk3 Member Posts: 13
    you're getting w/ your 2001 Ranger. Is it 4x4, Supercab?

I have a 2001 Ranger Supercab, 4X4, purchased new, and I never get over 15 mpg 50/50 city/highway driving. It has the 4.10 gear ratio, P245/75R16 new Michelin tires (to replace the Wilderness tires of same size), 4.0/ 5-sp auto, currently 2,500 miles and I am rather gentle with it. Is my mileage supposed to increase with time? My usual mileage is 13-14mpg, which I feel is very poor mileage for this truck.

Any opinions or input from owners of a Ranger similarly equipped would be appreciated.
  • p67p67 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I did it! I bought an '02 FX4. It's a supercab, 4.0, auto. It's my daily driver, work truck, and toy. I work in construction and carry a fair amount of tools, etc., plus I put on a cab-high camper shell. This has caused the rear end to sit considerably lower than it's unloaded height. Any suggestions as to the easiest way to restore ride height? Add-A-Leaf? Air shocks? I want to maintain ride quality. Thanks.

BTW I had been driving a 96 F250 460 4X4 Supercab before I bought this truck and I have to say I'm very impressed by the Ranger! I now drive right past gas stations! So far, 2 weeks and 1200 miles, there is NOTHING I don't like about this truck.
    mine is a 2000 XLT...short bed, 2.5 liter four cylinder with automatic, so its actually NOT great mileage. i should have included what year and what engine. i actually would like better than 23 but without a stick shift, its impossible.
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    you will soon stop at those gas stations. i had an '01 ranger off-road with 4.0 auto. and 4.10 gears and 265/70/16 BFG a/t (31" tires), same exact setup you have, and after break-in, i rarely got 15mpg. i was going to take it in but it sold before i scheduled a service. also, watch out for your rear axle. the FX4's are exploding these left and right. they are on recall for the manuals. but id be skeptical if i had any FX4 right now. nonetheless, your FX4 is a sweet truck and congrats.
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    I have a '96 STX supercab w/BFG 31.5" tires, 4.0L V6, manual 5-speed, fiberglass cap and I get 19-20 mpg no matter how I beat her. Only way the mpg drops is 4x4 on sand w/AC in the summer....been there done that. :) 96K miles and going strong!
    That new Ford truck commercial? I was on the computer last night, and was playing a game or something, when I caught something on the TV about a guy looking for an old Ford truck. It showed a red '60s F100 I think, and he was talking about how dependible they are and stuff.

Anyways I only caught like 5 seconds of it, and wondered if it was a Ford commercial or what?
  • p67p67 Member Posts: 3
    I hear all this talk about 4.0 Rangers breaking axles, mainly manual trans., and it concerns me not a bit. I worked at Ford dealerships for 15 years and saw first hand that the majority of of those types of problems come from, um...how do I say this without offending someone, oh what the hell, abuse. Now I know there are situations off road where considerable stress can be placed on any given system and breakage can and will occur. But that happens to all vehicles and with "proper" driving habits those problems can mostly be avoided. As I told my son when he got his first 4X4, "The idea is to get there and get back, not see how many parts you can break." At least that's my style, my hot rod days are behind me since I'm probably older than 90% of this group. So I'm not any more concerned about breaking an axle than I am with breaking a leg.

And I got 18+ mpg yesterday.
  • wyncotewyncote Member Posts: 5
    My Ranger, bought new last summer, has had an occasional musty, mildew smell coming from the vents since the first week. It seemed worse on damp/rainy days. My big problem is not the smell, but whatever is causing it makes me very sick when I run the blower, esp. the AC.

The dealer deodorized it twice (no help) then said they had to pull the dash and replace the evaporator. But they later copped out as the tech. couldnt duplicate my concern. I went to another dealer who said they are well aware of the problem ... they had a service bulliten or something on it ... and they would need to replace the evaporator. They too ended up not replacing that (they told me that didnt apply to my truck) but installed what the service writer described as a "reverse fan" to prevent the smell's return. I told him again that the smell itself is not making me sick, but whatever is in there is. He was very evasive and just kept telling me that they did the repair that Ford recommends.

When I got my truck back, there was a pre-printed flyer inside stating: "A module has been added to turn on the blower motor for two minutes after your vehicle has been parked for 45 minutes. This will help prevent the return of odors from the AC system."
    So far no odor, but I still get very sick whenever I run the blower and/or AC. Is the dealer being straight, or is this being used as a "mask" for a deeper probem? Thanks
    the fx4's axle issue isn't "just from abuse". if that were true, ford wouldn't have a stop sale on manuals right now and recalling these units. it's a design flaw with the torsen lsd and ford axle.
  • fhawsfhaws Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 extended cab 4.0. There is a loud hissing sound coming from behind the driver's seat when I go 55+. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I stop it? It makes it a loud truck on the highway. Dosn't seem very arrowdymanic.
    edmunds says my 2.5 liter four cylinder Ranger can tow 6,000 pounds. lets be honest, i am sure it cant. what CAN i tow, however?
    fhaws, Behind the drivers seat? Like floorboard, rear passenger door, or rear window? You need to have someone ride with you and locate the source od the noise. Probably a window seal. Once you know the source or at least the general location, you should then be able to inform your dealership for where to look and fix. Trucks aren't very aerodynamic to begin with, but it will seal.

matt, You could probably move a trailer around the block or so, but yes I wouldn't be going across the state with anything near that weight. You should be able to tow a couple of motorcycles, jet ski's, or a little uhaul trailer with no problem.
  • jazzy8jazzy8 Member Posts: 11
    Hello all:
    Just bought 2002 3.0 2WD SuperCab. So far so good. Will report any probs as they arise. Question: Where is the best place to get an under the rail bed liner for the least amount of money? Thanks in advance.
    Rhino liner... It's a DIY rubber liner that is very durable and looks great. Should be at most auto part stores.
  • jazzy8jazzy8 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the response...but I want to go with a Plastic bed liner, and not a paint on. I like the ability to take out put in on a whim (even though I may never do it).

Anybody else???
    Thanks!
    i got my ford (duraliner) bedliner from a huge ford dealer in des moines for $145 installed. underrail that is. fit like a glove.
  • jakethefatmanjakethefatman Member Posts: 7
    I've just rolled over 18,000 km's and have nothing to complain about. The only thing that I think could be better is the gas mileage. But It actually isn't that bad. I put an average of 100 kms on it a day and I've yet to have a problem. I had a crack in my fog light and I had it fixed under warranty, eventhough I had to go to 2 different dealers. That light would have cost $120.00 dollars to replace! The engine runs great and I love driving it. Does anyone know where I can sell my factory bed rails because I purchased a bed cap and have no use for them? The dealer won't buy them back. Has anyone heard that Ford replaced the 2001 3.0 litre V-6 with an upgrade on the 2002's? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to watch for mechanically? This is the second Ranger I have owned, and I honestly think for the money you spend, they are the best value out there. I realize that everyone hasn't had the same expieriance, but excluding minor flaws that all trucks have, I haven't had any problems with these trucks!! My last truck was a 94 4 banger, and I sold it with 175,000 km's on it. It still had the original clutch and never had anything repaired on it other than a couple of sensors!

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    Good luck on your truck. I own a 2000 4x4 with 4.0 and 5 speed auto.
    IF you own an automatic, change the fluid WITH THE PROPER FORD SPECS at 30 000 miles AND it is VERY important, to prevent klunks and vibration, to grease the extension shaft spline of the drive shaft (where the rubber boot is located) perhaps once a year or so. If you have the 3.0 V6 and it DOES NOT ping, you are very fortunate, as most of them start to get noisy. This can be cured by using higher octane fuel, orinjector cleaner, or both.
    Also, periodically make sure the front end is aligned properly; Rangers can eat the outside of your front tires off pretty quickly. Mobil 1 which I use has given me about .5 mpg, but of course at extra expense. I think the Mobil 1 is worth it if you drive in cold weather a lot, as it possesses reduced friction at lower temps than regular petro-based oils. Good luck.
    Jake, I am like you, 1993 regular cab with 138,000 miles (220,800km) on it. Alignment has never needed adjusting, and I get no problems with tire wear. Of course, I don't drive my truck like a race car either. And I definitely agree that the Ranger is the best truck for the money.
    Hello. Thanks for the information. I have a 5-speed manual tranny. I don't really like automatics, but if I'm not correct, the 4.0 litre extended cab doesn't come with a 5-speed manual. My engine doesn't ping. I don't use my truck for heavy hauling or towing. Do you know normally if this problem would show up sooner or later with a new engine? My roommate has a F-150 4x4 with the Triton V-8 and it pings. It has about 22,000 kms on it. I'm already aware of the drive train problems. Even with my 94 Ranger I made sure to have all my major components either greased or inspected once a year. I've just purchased a K & N air filter for my truck and I do notice a difference with acceleration, especially going up hills. I don't think it's had a significant effect on my gas mileage though. Also regarding the alignment, do you use your truck for offroading or do you remember hitting any potholes? That could have caused the problem with alignment. I honestly never had to do the alignment on my old truck. I didn't even have power steering on it, and I never had abnormal tire wear.
    4.0 with manual for '02. quite rare. mostly fx4's. and they are junk, so to speak.
    I just had my oil changed at around 19,435km. While the service technician did a multi-point visual inspection he noticed "sweat" at the rear engine seal. Does anyone know if this is potenially a serious problem? Should I try and get it serviced under warranty? The technician said it was common and it wasn't a serious problem. Eventhough the seal is still holding now, eventually it will begin to leak. Will this problem lead to the seal leaking prematurley?
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I would have it looked into and make sure you have it documented, so that if it ever gives out at least that it was noticed and written up. But to be safe talk to the service manager and get his opinion and have him document it as well.
  • cochise4cochise4 Member Posts: 1
    I only get 13-14 mpg on my '99 Ranger 4x4, 3.0L.4spd. auto, 4.10 axle ratio, in cooler weather, city driving!
    However, I am ecstatic about the 25mpg hwy. during warm weather months and 16 mpg city! It is, after all, a truck! I also have that weird nasty smell from the heater/AC unit! I thought that maybe a mouse or something crawled in the dash and died!
  • riddleeagleriddleeagle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 XLT 4.0L with 22k miles. It's been a great truck in every way so far. The other day when I turned the vent on, which activates the cab cooling fan, I noticed a clicking sound, as if a piece of paper was stuck in the blades of the fan, or the fan was contacting something. I operated all the climate control functions, A/C thru heat and defrost, and as long as the fan was on, it made this noise. Increasing fan speed increased the noise. After turning the engine off and starting it a few hours later, the noise was gone. I was wondering if anyone had had and similar experiences. It was a one time event, just curious if I should keep an eye on anything. Thanks.
    For a nearly 4000 lb. 4x4 truck, with 4.11 and auto in cold weather. You can't expect much better than that. The tranny is eating a HUGE amount of energy just to churn that cold fluid.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Ford Truck Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Did Ford increase the HP in the 4 cylinder Ranger in 02?
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    Please excuse my barging in, but I can't find a topic dealing with Mazda trucks. Since mine was built by Ford in Edison, NJ, I guess it is essentially the same as your Rangers.

My truck is a 2002 B4000 dual sport (2WD) with the 4.0 liter engine and auto trans. I really like the truck, having dumped by 2000 GMC Sierra. Are their any maintenance or reliability issues that I should watch out for? I have had two concerns so far:
    - sometimes I feel a bump just as I am starting from a dead stop. I don't hear any noise. The dealer said that this is a characteristic of the drivetrain and suspension.
    - the gearshift lever encounters some resistance shifting into Park. The dealer said it was normal.

Have any of you had these situations arise?

If I should be on another string, please let me know. Otherwise I'll tag along with you guys.
  • mkstfmkstf Member Posts: 12
    just bought a 94 4x4 3.0 with 41k miles my first truck!! had it 3 days and love it !!!!
  • lizzy55lizzy55 Member Posts: 3
    I posted earlier this year about my spare tire on my B4000 4 wheel drive with a posi rear end .I explained to the service department my concerns over running two sizes of tires on a posi differential and they agreed with my concerns and bought me a steel rim and a 16 inch spare which was covered on the tire recall .The 16 inch tire fits on the same holder as the 15 inch tire did you just have to be carefull to centre the tire as you pull it up into place .
  • tone2tonetone2tone Member Posts: 15
    I am hoping that some Ranger owners might be able to help me out on this. I'd like to go to a larger rim/tire size on my '97 B2300 X-Cab (4 cyl/5 spd) to replace the stock 14" spoke rims. I am wanting to do this on the cheap so my target is stock 15" or 16" rims/mags from another vehicle that would bolt on. Anyone done something similar or recommend something that will work?

It is also time to replace shocks etc. Any recommendations on that? Thanks much
  • jackkajackka Member Posts: 25
    I'm considering buying a new Ranger (or B4000) with 4.0L engine, manual tranny, 2WD. Can I have an owner report please (reliability, mileage, etc.).
    Thanks.
    I have posted the TSB on this problem. Go to "Ford Ranger Problems" post # 438. You likely need the new alloy 4 inch driveshaft.
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Hi all,

As a previous Ranger owner (1993 4.0L RC Longbed 5-speed and 1996 4.0L SC Auto) I'm fully aware of the quality and reliability of this truck. I'm having a 3000lb (includes trailer weight) boat delivered in about 2 weeks, and now must again purchase a suitable tow vehicle. I've also owned a Dakota QuadCab 4.7L Auto, and although I didn't have too many (weatherstrips falling off doors) problems in the 12K miles I owned the Dodge, I'm thinking the cheaper, "known quantity" Ranger might be the wiser choice (not to mention the $2500 rebate). I've had a lot of experience towing, and I insist on "safety first", which to me means having a "safety factor" in the tow capacity of my vehicle. The SC Ranger 4.0L Auto is rated at 5800+ lbs (I assume with either a 3:55 or 3:73 axle ratio); so capacity isn't a problem. I do NOT have any experience with the new 4.0L motor. The old 160HP 4.0L had plenty of grunt, developing 225 lbs of torque at low RPM.
    Can any of you out there relate how the new 205HP 4.0L pulls a heavy load? Slippery and steep boat ramps, including launching/retrieving into the Pacific is what this truck will be used for.
    Any U.S. coastal fisherman out there that can relate?
    Sorry for the long and wordy post.
    Thanks.
    I too own a Ranger (4.0 4x4 5 speed auto) and tow extensively (about 1800 lbs. max). If I had it all to do again, I'd buy either a small V8 F-150 auto with LSD 2x4, or a Tundra of the same specs (the Dodge Ram won't fit into my garage and I don't like the GM piston slap issues). The new Ranger tows well from buddies of mine that own them (HOWEVER, they are 4x4's). I like the idea of towing with a heavier vehicle. The lonly real scare I get occasionally is on wet roads and the tendency for the boat to push the rearend of that ittle Ranger around when braking...that gets the heart rate going !! Also, the gas mileage of the Rangers is NOT that much better than the F-150. In the 4x4's, it is WORSE than the F-150 2x4's. Just my OPINION. Good luck.
    Get's pretty amazing gas milage. A coworker has a 99 GT Mustang with just about every bolt on power adder you can think of (even 150 shot of nitrous). It still gets over 20 MPG in the city, and over 25 highway.

The F-150 is a bit aerodynamically handicapped compared to the Mustang, but you should still see over 20 MPG regularly.
    I'm guessing you don't have (need) trailer brakes on your 1800# trailer.....but if you did you might notice that the back end doesn't get "pushed around" as much. I tend to insist on surge or electric brakes on my trailers so I have some control on braking the trailer's weight, and also save my truck's rotor's and drums. The boat I'll be pulling weighs 2250#, plus 650# single-axle trailer (total dry weight 2900#), but in reality the total weight will be around 3300-3500#
    with gas, gear, ice chests, skis, etc. Surge brakes will greatly help slow that weight down, and unlike an F-150 or other full-size truck, the Ranger's low vehicle weight can use all the help it can get when it comes to controlling equal or greater weight trailers.
    Thank you for your post. My truck is a 2-wheel drive, and it does have the 4" alloy driveshaft. My dealer's service manager says the bump is inherent because of the "isolation rubber mountings in the drivetrain". I think he is clueless. The bump feels like a rear spring wrap-up to me. Anyway, it is becoming less prevalent; maybe I am just getting acccustomed to it.

Overall, I love the truck. No other issues with three months and 3000 miles.
    I have been pleased with my 2002 Mazda B4000 dual sport, 2WD with 4.0L and auto trans. I would have preferred a manual trans, but the auto does give more towing capacity. The truck was a terrific value, has plenty of power, and steers/handles well. I have had it for three months and have 3000 miles on it. Only problem was to have the headlight aiming adjusted slightly. It delivers 17 MPG in city (not heavy traffic) and 22 MPG on highway.

I recommend that you test drive one. Mazda currently has big rebates, and my dealer was selling them at invoice before deducting the rebate.
  • jackkajackka Member Posts: 25
    Many thanks, nerd (no insult intended).

I have my eye on a B4000 with manual tranny at a local dealer.

I think I'll check with some Explorer owners for some longer term reports on the engine. I hope your B4000 serves you well for a long time.
    I'm looking at all the available "packages" for a 2000 SC 4x4; it appears that if you opt for the 4.0L you must accept the 4:11 rear end. Is it possible to order a 4.0L 4x4 with a 3:55 or 3:73 rear end? (and limited-slip)?
  • webjeff2webjeff2 Member Posts: 21
    I purchased a new 2001 Ranger last summer, a 4 cylinder 2.3 ltr 5 speed. On the day of delivery when I returned home, the truck had 28 miles on the odo and after sitting in the garage for about and hour, I noticed a large puddle of coolant under the truck, it appeared to be a loose hose which I tightend. By the time I'd reached 2000 miles, I was back at the dealer. The rear springs were squeaking and had to be replaced, the air bag light was on due to a faulty sensor and was replaced, the radiator had developed a leak due to "poor welding at some of the seams" and was replaced, they performed the "seat belt recall" and adjusted the tie rod ends because the steering wheel was off center. Everything seemed to be fine for the next several months until I hit 6000 miles. I was checking the oil level and noticed coolant in the oil , this along with the fact that the truck had started to ping under acceleration recently. Well, I'd had enough, I traded the truck in that day. That was my last Ford truck so I went to Dodge (first time owning a Dodge) and bought the new body style 2002 Ram 1500 SLT V8 with 5 speed manual transmission. The gas mileage isn't nearly as good (16.5 mpg vs. 23 mpg) but this truck is powerful and at 5500 miles, I have ZERO complaints and have not had to return to the dealer at all!!!!!
    I too have had my share of problems. I want so much to love my Ranger (which I bought new) but it has just been a nagging problem with quality. It is almost as if Ford slams these trucks out, and then lets the customer and dealer do the "quality control" themselves. So far: All 4 tires replaced (Firestones); turn signal microswitch replaced; driveshaft replaced; rear window STILL leaks (after 2 attempts); door ajar light not turning off; left headlight shorting due to misrouted wiring harness (with resulting melted connector); a front end pull to the right that has never been sorted out; a floorboard vibration that still exists, in spite of driveshaft and tire replacements; and, a loud rearend whine, under load, at about 35 to 55 mph. So far, 16 388 miles on the truck. GREAT FEATURES I LOVE about this truck: The 5 speed auto is great (UNLESS I discover it is the torque converter that is making the truck shake > I fear this is a possiblility); the 4 door cab is great (something the Taco needs !); I love the torque of the very noisy 4.0 pushrod shaker-motor (it shakes like a Harley V-twin inside of its rubber mounts); I like the driving position (in spite of numerous complaints by others about the seats..but I CANNOT see all of the speedo with the steering wheel adjusted where I like it..I am a little dude, about 150 lbs and 5'8"); I think the stock sound sytem is great for a truck. So far, for the total duration of ownership, I have used 983 gallons of gas (for a mileage of 16.7 mpg; about 25% of my driving is in town). I am now using Motorcraft 5-20W oil and will carefully check mileage to see if I can see any difference over time. MODS: ARE cap [fantastic quality..BUT...lack of night visibility out dark rear glass is DANGEROUS]; K&N filter; Weston nerf bars. I STILL think Rangers are basically really neat trucks, in SPITE of my troubles. My next truck will be either an F-150 or a Tundra with V-8, 2x4, LSD. IF you buy a Ranger, DO NOT get a 4x4 UNLESS you REALLY need it. The ride quality and gas mileage will suffer DRAMATICALLY if you use it as a highway truck. Good luck all with your Rangers.
  • mkstfmkstf Member Posts: 12
    I recently bought a 94 ranger 4x4 3.0,gas mileage is about 14 mpg around town,if i change gear ratio will this help??? i dont really haul alot and i dont do any towing. any advice will be appreciated thanks.....
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    You probably have 4.10 gears.. go to a 3.73... Also if you have large tires get rid of them.. Also try a K&N air filter, make sure the truck is tuned properly.. You should be getting about 17...
This discussion has been closed.