Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    According to Edmunds, that would seem to be a good price:
    2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
    LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Total with Options (Automatic Transmission)
    MSRP-------Invoice------What Others Are Paying

$15,635----$14,754------$15,303
  • jaltenbachjaltenbach Member Posts: 10
    I'm sorry, I goofed. I'm being offered $14,600 (no trade) not $13,600. $14,200 with trade ( a 1991 Grand Am w/129,000 and at least a half dozen other problems that I don't want to put money into). They gave me $100 more than I thought I would receive. I think sometimes it's really hard to even believe Edmunds numbers. I want to counter offer them something below their $14,200 as the two numbers that I mentioned were their first numbers. I say that about Edmunds because I find it hard to believe that the MSRP is $15,635 and the dealer invoice is only $881 below that.
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    Kelly Blue Book Claims:
    What people are actually paying (16,248.00)
    Invoice (15,365.25)
    MSRP (16,330.00)

Seems like $14,600 might not be too bad. I'm not sure where you live, but you could try e-mailing a couple of other dealers to see if they can beat it.
    I did request quotes from 2 other dealer in the area (I live in the Allentown, PA area). One responded but not with a number, the other quoted me $14,800. So right now, the first dealer has given me the best offer of $14,265 w/trade but that was his first offer. I think he should be able to knock off a few hundred from that especially since I am trying to make this a cash deal.
    I finally made my deal and have the 2007 Cobalt LT for nearly a month. The MSRP for the car with only automatic transmission is $15,635 before taxes. Of course I was not going to pay that. I had a trade-in that was worth only $400. The first offer was $14,265 with trade. I didn't like the number and I told the dealer. A few days later I made an offer of $13,600. General manager asked if I could come up to $13,750. I think I was being squeezed but I said yes. I then had $1700 in GM card earnings to take off from that $13,750. My out the door price including destination charge, tax, tags, license came to $12,888 or somewhere close to that as I do not have the paperwork in front of me. And I also received a $100 gift card to Target. So a new Chevy Cobalt LT for under $13,000. So glad I didn't upgrade my GM Mastercard when they were trying to get cardholders to do so. Upgrading would have turned my $1700 into $350. So those of you looking to find what others are paying, this is my story.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You got a great deal but, uh "first offer was $14,265 with trade. I didn't like the number and I told the dealer. A few days later I made an offer of $13,600. General manager asked if I could come up to $13,750. I think I was being squeezed but I said yes."

Good grief it sounds like YOU were doing the squeezing - $2,035 off the list price on an "economy" car. Many dealers' coupon specials around here only offer $1,000 off....

Anyway congrats on a great deal.
    My gut tells me that car prices are over-inflated just like many other items we purchase in our lives. Businesses try to make us pay what they want us to pay (why would I pay $50 for a pair of jeans, for example). My job is to get the best deal I can dispite the dealer fighting against that goal. Although I treat him/her with respect, he is not my friend who is trying to do me a favor. I look at this strictly as a business deal. He's trying to make me pay as much as possible, I'm trying not to. I don't get all excited about the new car smell and wide eyed over a brand new object. This is alot of money to me that took a long time to save. I'm not giving away thousands in profits. One dealer's offer was only $381 off the MSRP, although it was his first offer. I believe I could have talked with him, about price, if I persued that dealship. If someone else wants to pay that that's their business but I feel sorry for them that they then can't use what they could have saved (by doing a little homework and dealing). And even from this experience I have learned something that will help me the next time. Anyway, thank you for your comments. If a fellow consumer thinks I got a great deal that makes me feel all the better. I think only another car dealer will truly know if the deal was a good deal.
  • mikerichardsonmikerichardson Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if I got a good deal. Back in August 2006 I bought a Chevy Cobalt LS, Automatic, with Cruise Control for $13,750 drive off price, I wrote them a check.
    Here is the deal that I received. A 2007 Cobalt LT (one level up from an LS) with only option being automatic. Air, power windows, and power locks were included in the LT model. This particular car was listed @ $15,635. The dealer offered $14,366 including my $800 trade. I sat on the offer for a few days and then called the dealer and made my offer of $13,600. We went back and forth a few times and he accepted $13,750 (which I thought was a little ironic because you paid that price for a 2006 LS). But my deal got a little sweeter. I had the GM Mastercard and was able to knock of $1700 from that price because my GM earnings had accrued that much over the last 6 years. So my final cost was approx. $12,800 including tax, destination charge, dealer fees. And also, I received a $100 gift card to Target. The $1700 really helped out big time. I, personally, would have tried to get something knocked off your $13,750 only because, apparently, you paid upfront (I assume when you say you wrote a check)and now, in hindsight, they were willing to take $13,750 for a 2007 LT vs a 2006 LS. I have not had any problems with the car so far.
  • exzur2071exzur2071 Member Posts: 43
    a brand new 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged with sunroof. I took delivery of this car from David Chevrolet in Niagara Falls, NY yesterday. $500 were added to the price above because I opted for the GMAC $17,000 4.9% five year loan.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I just drove home my second new Cobalt. The first was a 2005 which now has almost 30K miles and has given us NO trouble. So we just got a second one for my daughter, a 2007 Cobalt with NO options. Price after rebate but before T,T, and L was $10,990! We also has some GM rebate money to lower the price further but I realize everyone does not have that option. My dealer was easy to work with and very helpful. I hope everyone has such a good experience on a car that has been great for us.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    exzur2071 ...wow, what was the sticker price? Sounds like a good deal...???
    The brand new Toyota 2001 RAV4 was a nightmare, $6K worth of waranty work. The brand new 1995 Sunfire GT that I bought my son on his 16th birthday & the brand new 2000 Z24 Cav that I bought my daughter on her 16th birthday have never been back to the shop!!! They are still driving both of them!!!
    $16,976 is what I paid for, not $17,976. Sorry for my mistake. Smogdung, the sticker was $21,240. David Chevrolet discount was $2,264 and the rebate was two $750s and one $500 or 4.9% financing.

It's a brand new yellow 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged. The interior is leather, black with yellow inserts. The only option is the sunroof.
    I think ya stold that thing from GM! I've used close to $10K in GM card rebates on top of other rebates/ negotiations with GM....at the start of the program you could accumulate $1K / year ..& accumulate up to $7K instead of the $3.5 current max. The first time I used it when I ordered my son's Sunfire GT (there were none yet in KC area), I even used the card to put down $2K at the dealership to order it (use of card at dealership doubled % rebate to 10%), they were so confused that by the time the car arrived the rebate from the down payment was available to put down on the purchase!

What kind of MPG you get with the 2.0L Supercharged engine?
    You ever drive just normal?
    On top of all the discounts, the $2,264, two $750s and one $500 mention on my other post, was $986 GM Master card rebate.

It has been snowing with temperature below freezing point here in the Buffalo area since I got the car last January 31st.

The car comes with Pirelli Pzero summer tires which is not good on the snow.

I have just driven the car for 51 miles.
    Well let us know after you get some miles on it...congrats!
  • tornabrupttornabrupt Member Posts: 4
    I am going to be trading in my truck. Another dealer has already offered me a trade in value of 12,500. Assuming I get the same at a Chevy dealership what should be my target price for a 2007 Cobalt LT Coupe, or a 2007 LS Coupe (If I get the LS I would probably add a feature or two). Automatic btw. I really would like to make it out of the dealership paying less than $2000 on top of my 12,500 trade in value, OTD. I've never had this high of a trade in value before...is this more or less leverage for me? Thanks.
    If I were you, I would go to several dealers, negotiate a rock bottom price with no trade-in. Then get your trade into the picture.

Early in Novewmber, I went to a Vokswagen dealer to negotiate a price for a Volks Rabbit with my 2001 Aztek as the trade. The offer was $3,000.

When I was negotiating the price of my Cobalt SS supercharged in the last week of January, David Chevy Pontiac in Nigara Falls, NY offerd me $6,500 for the same car the Volks people want for 3,000 bucks.

However, I decided to keep the Aztek, because the car has served me very well in foul and lousy winter weather here in the Buffalo region.

Good Luck.
    EXZUR2071, If you're just gonna let that car sit there most of the time....loan it to me for a while & I'll break it in for ya!
    The weather has started to get better now. Smogdung, could you please tell me the proper way of breaking in a new car.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    It's best to drive conservatively for the first few hundred miles, and to avoid running the engine at constant speeds for extended periods. Don't jump on the Interstate and set the cruise control on 65 for the next 300 miles, and don't run any drag races until the engine and trans are properly broken in. I usually try to change the oil and filter at between 800 and 1000 miles, then just drive normally from there.
    I've been doing it this way for over 30 years, and haven't had one let me down yet...
    grosloup, I am following your advice. So far the car is doing pretty good. Is it not too early to change the oil and filter between 800 and 1000 miles?

Thanks.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Depending on your driving. Highway or city? Lots of city driving is worst on a break-in oil (or any oil as a matter of fact). I once went up to 2000 milles before my first oil change and everything went fine. What happens is that your engine is new, every bits and pieces got to get oiled and running good. If you could see all the small metal fragments in your break-in oil, you'd be surprised. All that metal friction that's going on in your motor cleans the debris off all metal parts. It's the same as if the oil was rinsing our motor. I once screened my break-in oil using a paper towel and could see small and short (thin as hair) pieces of metal. Newer models are not as worst as in the 70' and 80's.
  • eegadeegad Member Posts: 2
    Bought a black 2007 Cobalt LS Sedan, with just auto transmission and the body side moldings as options on it.

Sticker was $14700. Dealer came down to $14100 on it. Minus roughly $2100 on my original GM card. Minus the $1000 Chevy spring cashback savings here in NJ. Minus $500 more GM cash back.

With tax/title/registration, the price out the door was $11554.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Is GM really the one that needs to wake up? The new GM warranty 5 yrs/100,000 miles is the best warranty in the industry. The Hyundai 10 year powertrain warranty is only good for the original buyer or immediate family member. It is not transferable to anyone else so a Hyundai owner needs to keep it 10 years for the warranty to stay in effect. This was part of the marketing Hyundai figured would work. Leave out the fine print details because who keeps a car that long any ways they figured, thus after they sell it it is no longer their responsibility. A lot of people think the Suzuki 7 year warranty is the best also.

Corolla better MPG you say. Well in general it may very well be, especially on paper. In July's 2006 Car & Driver they tested a bunch of compacts including the Cobalt and Corolla and the Cobalts average mpg was like 28.3 mpg edging the Corolla's 28.1 mpg average. So it just goes to show that the mpg figures are similar and in this case favors the Cobalt.
  • borssackborssack Member Posts: 1
    I also have the GM mastrcard but thought that they limited the amount of GM earnings you could receive to $1000 on the Cobalt. If I'm wrong and I can redeem all of my GM earnings - please let me know as I plan on buying a new car in the next week or so.

Thanks,
    Debbie
    I believe there are 2 kinds of GM Mastercards. The original one that came out years ago and the one GM wanted people to switch over to. I believe the difference between the 2 is that the original was good for only certain GM vehicles. The other one has reduced benefits but it covers all GM vehicles. I had $1700 of earnings but I could not use any of it towards a 2007 Saturn. I was told the only way I could use any earnings on the Saturn was if I switched to the other card but my earnings would then only be 20% of $1700. I did not switch years ago so I was able to used all of my accrued earnings I had up to that point. I would not ask your dealer how much of your earnings you can use, although your earnings should not come into play as far as getting your best deal from the dealer. In fact, I would be suspicious if he even asked you if you had a GM card during the negoiations. I believe the less the dealer knows about your buying power the better. When the deal was made,I then told my dealer that I wanted to put all of my accrued earnings towards the car. What I also did before I went to the dealer was call the number on the GM Mastercard and presented my question like this: How much of my accrued earnings can I put towards the purchase of a 2007 Cobalt? I was told any part or all of it. Hope this helps Deb.
  • printergirlprintergirl Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a LT Coupe in Rally Yellow with Ebony seats for $15811.00 -- out the door, including tax, tag, title the whole nine yards. It's options include the Street Edition Pkg (spoiler, sunroof, body side moldings) and auto transmission. It was the exact configuration I was looking for and was VERY hard to find on a local lot.

At first I was going to special order it, but couldn't really find a dealer that would give me a good deal on a special order, so I was actually set to close on a different one that didn't have all the features I wanted, when this dealer called and told me they had this configuration coming in on a truck. I checked with GM and the VIN number is indeed assigned to them. I'm a bit concerned as I actually don't have the car in my possession yet. :(

Would have walked had the inventory manager not come out to assure me that is WAS on the way and would be here in a couple of days and it turns out the minute I saw him I recognized him as an old friend from way back. Shocker for both of us. But, he's always been a trustworthy guy, so I don't think he's lying to me.

They gave me a loaner to drive (also a Cobalt) until mine come in.
  • sharkman1sharkman1 Member Posts: 19
    WOW, that sounds great!! Holding out for what you wanted paid off. My experience wasn't pleasant, but I like my '06 LS coupe just fine and so far(22,962 miles) haven't had any of the problems mentioned here. Luck of the draw, I guess. Good luck and enjoy! :shades:
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    We purchased an LS 4 door in March as we needed an additional car so that my daughter could use her moms car for after school activities. The car has A/C, automatic transmission and spoiler.... that's about all the options.
    Surprisingly, the keys are fought over when someone wants to run and get something.
    The car is comfortable, and very easy to park. Surprisingly, the little 4 cylinder has lots of pep and sips the gas sparingly. Other than lack of storage space for little items like sunglasses and other crap, I find it a blast to drive.

I got a really great deal on the car, $13,500 out the door... that's with tax!! I did get the supplier discount and and additional $1500 in rebates for a local car show plus a Chevy cash back bonus. I paid more than this for a Honda motorcycle with one third the content... what a bargain. To top it off was the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. What a sweet deal, we're happy with the entire transaction.
  • chrylsersrt8chrylsersrt8 Member Posts: 31
    Im getting a 2007 coupe LS 5-spd only option MP3 player
    MSRP 13900 -
    minus
    -Dealer discount
    -1000 GM rebate
    -500 conquest rebate
    -4 instant value coupons ($1000 total)
    -$2900 in original GM card earnings
    + tax tags doc
    Out the door $8950

I don't think it is possible to do better than this
    for a new car of this caliber

Sure it is an econo-box next to the chrysler SRT-8
    but I will get better gas mileage when I drive this one and I let my brother drive the SRT
    Perhaps even three times as much, will be quite refreshing

Amazing though
    cobalt costs more to insure than a 4400 pound SRT with 425 HP
  • delcorbettdelcorbett Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a new car and have decided on the Chevy Cobalt. Many local dealers are running ad's for under 10 G's. I know these are for this car only kinda things but I have seen a lot of the ad's from many dealers in Miami. I know I qualify for the GM Supplier price as well and thats around 900 or so off. It is a LS 2dr coupe model. No options, just 5speed ac and a radio with cd player, which is all i am looking for. Need cheap transportation. Is this from your opinion as low a price as I'm gonna find for this car? :D
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Look up your car used 06 on kbb.com or nada.com. Add about 15% or so to the wholesale price used of your cobalt. That should be around your target price for the new one.

Good luck
    --jjf

I am in the market for a new car and have decided on the Chevy Cobalt. Many local dealers are running ad's for under 10 G's. I know these are for this car only kinda things but I have seen a lot of the ad's from many dealers in Miami. I know I qualify for the GM Supplier price as well and thats around 900 or so off. It is a LS 2dr coupe model. No options, just 5speed ac and a radio with cd player, which is all i am looking for. Need cheap transportation. Is this from your opinion as low a price as I'm gonna find for this car?
    Those ads for sub 10,000 usually include military and loyalty rebates which almost no one qualifies for

The ad in the paper in nj is for a cobalt LS auto for only
    9495 + tax tags

BUT
    you must qualify for
    military $500

and

DEALER Loyalty $1500 (you purchased a car from them in the past 6 months and are trading it in on the cobalt)
    WHAT A JOKE

I am not saying your miami dealer is using these deceptive tactics, but please do yourself the favor of reading ALL the fine print and calling ahead to the dealer to get info/elig on all rebates necessary to get the ad price.

There is a legit gm conquest rebate ($500) which you get so long as you have a non-GM product in your household
    Cobalt has an additional thousand rebate through july 4th or 6th

If you can get the dealer to combine this with
    4 instant value certificates (worth $1000 total)
    you will be doing great

Considering the aveo has only a $500 rebate a comparably
    equiped cobalt may actually be cheaper
    I am in the market for a can and I got a quote on a New 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS for 12,500 OTD. I know the invoice for this car is 12,450 plus destination charge, tax, title, registration, and what ever else they try to stick you with. I am not sure of the color but for that price it could be limabean green for all i care. Should I hold out a bit or jump at this?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    We don't know what your state is so taxes OTD can run from 300-$1000. Cobalt is regularly advertised for 3000-4000 off MSRP, Putting a good price in the 10-11k (automatic trans?) range +tax and title. Its OK, but not a deal I would risk getting a speeding ticket for.

Good Luck
    --jjf

I am in the market for a can and I got a quote on a New 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS for 12,500 OTD. I know the invoice for this car is 12,450 plus destination charge, tax, title, registration, and what ever else they try to stick you with. I am not sure of the color but for that price it could be limabean green for all i care. Should I hold out a bit or jump at this?
    take invoice
    1. subtract 1000 consumer rebate
    2. subtract 1000 GMAC bonus cash (as long as you use GMAC, but you can refi, or pay it off, the next day if you choose)
    3. subtract 500 GM conquest rebate (as long as a non-gm vehicle is registered in your household, could even be your mothers or girlfriends as long as the address matches)

Then add tax, title, and doc

THIS IS THE MOST YOU SHOULD PAY FOR ANY COBALT

If you can get the dealer to throw in some $250 GM instant value certificates (my dealer gave me 4 certificates a few weeks ago, see my earlier post) you can save some more money

Many dealers will tell you they have no more certificates ...
    respond to them "You are gonna have to save me another $250 (off the above calculated price) if you want to earn my business"

Then just sit there and say nothing

If they say no get up and walk out
    There is no shortage of cobalts on dealer lots
    You will find this deal or better elsewhere

Good Luck

P.S. I got mine at Lafferty Chevrolet in PA (near philly)

No BS painless process and he is willing to deal...
    if you live nearby give him a call or email
    The owner gets personally involved in many of the deals
    I live in crappy old florida, the other cuba.
    I do have one advantage in that I can go anywhere to buy the car meaning I work for a Airline so I can travel to further dealers to speck the lot. Have not dune it yet but I am thinking of it. Those ad's for the sub 10K cobalts in Florida did not mention the military discount. Potamkin chevy is running the ad along with a few others to try to compete.
  • olddog7olddog7 Member Posts: 23
    Where do you get those instant rebate coupons? It seems like those can be stacked( $250 x 4). Do these work with the GMS discount? I'm looking to get the cheapest automatic car for my son( he also just graduated from college, so there may be a discount in there too). So what do you think a mid level Cobalt would go for in So. Cal? Must have auto, air, and 6 cd player/mp3. Thanks in advance.
    I confirmed today that the instant value coupons ended when the $1,000 july 4th bonus cash came out.

So they are not applicable any longer

Here is an example of an ad in NJ

Cobalt LS 4 Dr
    MSRP 14770
    only option is auto as far as I can tell
    includes
    -1000 factory
    -1000 bonus ( must finance through GMAC, but can pay off anytime)
    -500 conquest
    -500 military

10,779 plus tax and MV

with a 5spd this deal would have been about 800 less

also I don't know if 6cd changer is avail on LS
    mine only had single disc with MP3 as option
    Call the dealer, if he agrees to this price then don't hesitate to buy....
    any reputable dealer will email you an itemized quote upon request

Invoice
    - 1000 regular rebate
    - 1000 GMAC Bonus Cash
    - 500 Conquest

Add state sales tax and MV/DOC

If you are military you get another $500 but most won't

Also you may get some dealers to go into holdback (sell below invoice) but I have found that for whatever reason GM dealers rarely do.

If you don't mind the crank windows the LS is where your best value lies. Get a pair of $20 floor mats at wal-mart or pep boys and you are ready to go.
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    I just got my new 07 Cobalt LT Coupe last week. Sticker price including options was $16,700. I got $1000 rebate, but was a few hundred upside down on my trade, an '03 Dodge Neon. My Cobalt is the "Street Edition" with the spoiler, sunroof, upgraded 15" tires w/rims, not the plastic wheel covers, thank goodness. Dark burgundy in color, dark gray cloth interior, and I'm quite impressed with the stereo system so far. I had subwoofers in my Neon and so far do not feel it necessary to have to put them into the Cobalt. It sounds great as is. The three free months of XM Radio is pretty awesome too. I think I will continue with it after the free trial. This car rides very smooth so far, and can turn on a dime. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to run the air constantly to stay cool as it has been really hot here lately. If I run the air for only a few minutes and switch it to the air recirculation setting it stays nice and cold. I also really like the other goodies that came with it. Power everything, cruise control, and the DIC is pretty handy to have too. And very easy on gas. This car is a vast improvement over the Neon. My experience with owning a Dodge was less than satisfactory. I have owned Chevy's in the past and have always had better experiences with them. So far, I am very happy with my new car.
    There was also a $1000 bonus rebate if you financed through GMAC

Even if you didn't plan to finance you could pay it off before you got the first bill.

Also if anyone at your address owns a non-gm vehicle you get $500 conquest cash

As far as price paid you should look to be at invoice or less.
    Cobalt LS coupe
    -automatic is only option

MSRP 14,530
    1000 GLOBAL loyalty (must be trading a car purchased at global in the last year)
    500 military
    1000 bonus cash
    500 conquest cash
    1000 factory cash

$8,985 plus tax tags doc

Almost no one will get the global loyalty or military
    So you would be looking at $10,500 plus tax doc and tags

You would most certainly be under $12000 out the door for a pretty decent (though basic) set of wheels

Of course it is one unit only and probly sold already but global runs these loss leaders once a week

One thing for sure you are doing much better with a cobalt than if you bought an Aveo or one of those low end hyundai/kias
  • chetjchetj Member Posts: 324
    hate to brag, but i will..i bought a brand new pontiac sunfire for $6500.00 in nov 2004 w/ 3k GM card earnings..original dealer price was $9500, brand new..it has automatic, ac and a spoiler...the msrp on this was 16,700...cobalt and sunfire both have the ecotec 2.2, a very peppy engine..so far i am very happy with it after 48,000 miles...a similar civic or corolla would be 15, 000 minimum...i think people who buy hondas or toys and overlook the domestics are making a mistake...i have a new focus i like a lot too..no taxes in NH
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    What were the effective dates for the rebates? My purchase was in June and according to the rebate list @ the dealership which they did let me look at, the only rebate available on the Cobalt at that time was $1000. There was a $500 rebate in addition to the $1000 one but it had already expired. Now I am wondering if I should have waited a little longer. Hmmmm...oh well. Still happy.
    gotta give you credit
    6500 for the unit you got was about as good as it gets for a new car.

granted
    1. the cobalt/g5 has some advantages over the previous cav/sunfire

2. the cav/sunfire MSRP's were sooooooo unrealistic

BUT your deal tops just about any one I have ever seen

No tax in NH is always a plus

Good shopping brother