Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    That there is a Corolla Hybrid by 2010.

I think a large part of the market wants a more conservative gas-saver, and the Corolla name is beyond respected, and would net 10k a month, no problem, if it got comparable performance to an ICE Corolla, and 45-50MPG. :D

DrFill
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Me, I kind of wish everybody'd get off this hybrid bandwagon and do something more innovative to get us off petroleum altogether. Hybrids do less environmental damage, but they still put the same toxic fumes in the air that regular cars do, they just do it slower.

I've wondered why they couldn't develop some kind of solid fuel technology that could burn clean using something that wouldn't compromise our existing food supply - run a car on horse manure pellets, or something of that nature, for example!

Oh well, I guess the Corolla's as good a candidate as any to be a semi-electric car. Then they could quietly phase out the Prius, having served its purpose. That'd be one expensive Corolla, though.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    No place to put the battery in a small sedan. The trunk is small enough without losing half of the space for a hybrid battery.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    Nice normal looking 09 corolla, nothing special that is too much different from the last generation styling. Clean fresh look inside and out. Like the dash better with the NAV system.

Went to my favorit Toyota Dealership today, and put down a small deposit for the new 09 corolla. Dealership stated it was a smart move since a lot of calls have been made to them regarding the possible delivery date, but no deposits, and its best to get in line as to what you want in a new 09 so it can be ordered early on if you need one sooner.

Now just have to see what SEMA has to show for the new colors, NAV system, moonroof, and other options.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    So does the new corolla look like a mini camry?
  • pd83pd83 Member Posts: 8
    could this possibly be the 2009 toyota corolla? i saw it in the toyota dealership car ads a couple weeks ago. dunno y it says 2008 cause the 08 still has the same body style since 2003. neways what u guys think?

http://www.carspace.com/pd83/Albums/my%20photos/corolla.jpg/page/photo.html#pic
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    No that'a not the new 2009. It's a 2008 which will go out of production in about 2 weeks. The 2009's will begin to be built in Nov/Dec.
    It looks like the photos people are claiming is the 2009 US Corolla. 2008 Corolla in some other countries.
    What city is the ad from?
    its from orange county, ca. i saw in the ad couple weekends ago. i havent seen that picture on the ad anymore after that.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The look of the '09.

Good find! :shades:

DrFill
    That is a pretty serious error and the dealers shouldn't even have had access to photos of the car to send that info to the newspaper?
    if thats the case then it is a serious error...i checked the ad from the same place again the picture is now of the current model. big oops for them. maybe the picture will be the 2009 model..we shall see.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Saw the same pic about 3 months ago in the local Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel in an ad for Al Hendrickson Toyota...exact same pic. It was gone the next day, but did keep a copy. Think it'll be a big seller for Toyota...can see slaes volume numbers very close to the Civics.

The Sandman :)
    Looks like a '08 Camry to me. They got the wrong photo, probably. Happens in my business (newspaper adverting) all the time.
    It's not a picture of a Camry.
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    That picture in the ad is a 10th generation Corolla sedan. I've seen numerous pics of the all new Corolla. That pic looks just like the new European/Australian Corolla sedan. From what I've heard/read the USDM Corolla will look identical. If you want to see what we are getting just go to the Toyota Australia website. Their trim levels are different than ours and the steering wheel is on the right side but pretty much everything else will be the same. We will be getting the all new 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i engine as the standard engine and there are rumors of a 2.4 liter (Camry engine) for the upper trims. Also go to Toyota Nation.com for more info.
    Yes but not the 2.4L. The 2.0L Valvematic makes much more sense for the Corolla. The 2.4L in the Camry is an 'old tech' engine which will likely be revised in 3-4 yrs to a more modern, efficient and powerful structure ( 2.5L valvematic? @ 200 hp?).
    I found one on YouTube, but it doesn't look like that one to me. I guess time will tell!
    well if that is indeed the 2009 toyota corolla, i dont like the way it looks...still looks pretty bland. i thought toyota delayed the full redesign for the 08 so they could design a more aggressive looking corolla. is this the best they could come up with? but im sure it will still sell well because its a corolla.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Corolla is designed to be a mass-market car, to sell in volume, so it will never be too extreme in styling or it would risk turning off a significant percentage of the public. It has a little more exterior pizazz than the current Corolla, and the interior looks better in photos at least.
    Toyota Motor Corp is a very conservative company. Always has been and always will be. If you are looking for radical styling Toyota is the wrong auto company for you. If you want super reliability, durability, dependability, and quality Toyota is the right auto company for you. Toyota is not perfect. You will never have perfect 100% reliability with anything. But Toyota comes as close to perfection as you are going to find in the auto business. By the way, the Corolla was never sent back to the drawing board when the 2006 Civic came out. I'm not sure who put that false info out there. The new 10th gen Corolla design was approved long before the new Civic came out. The interior of the new Corolla looks very Lexus like and the exterior is very classy looking.
    i thought toyota delayed the full redesign for the 08 so they could design a more aggressive looking corolla.

No this was never true it was one of those internet rumors that developed a life of its own. As backy noted the Corolla is a mass market economy vehicle. It's the quintessential mass market vehicle being sold all over Asia, Australia, Europe, and all the Americas essentially the same everywhere. The NADM vehicle will look like the Euro/Aussie vehicle.

Toyota is expecting it to pass the Camry and become the No 1 auto in the US ( and Canada? ).
    For the Corolla to become Toyota's #1 seller, that tells me it will need to be bigger inside, to appeal to a wider range of families. Anyone know how big the new Corolla is supposed to be inside? Will it jump into the EPA "midsized" class, like the Elantra and Sentra?
    The all new 2009 Corolla will remain a compact car. It will be a bit roomier inside compared to the current version though. Exterior dimensions are as follows:

Length = 178.7"
    Width = 69.3"
    Height = 58.1"
    Wheelbase = 102.3"

As you can see length only grows fractionally. Width increases the most. The car will look way more proportionate now with the increase in width.

Length = 178.3"
    Width = 66.9"
    Height = 58.5"
    Wheelbase = 102.4"
    I believe that the new Gen is going to be almost exactly the same size as the current model. :blush: I guess I should have read one more post before typing.. :blush: . What he said.

However reading between the lines I think that Toyota sees there being a massive shift in buying patterns due to sharply rising fuel costs. All the recent studies point to our supplies getting tighter and tighter yet our usage ( demand ) is likely to be 30-60% higher than now. Something's gotta give.

If there's just barely sufficient fuel for our current national fleet but our 5-15 yr demand is going to be say 50% greater than now..
    a) we'll have to be using other forms of fuel
    b) all the vehicles will have to be 30-50% more efficient
    c) the demand for smaller more efficient vehicles will jump significantly as fuel prices ratchet up.

This market shift is being recognized by all the vehicle makers now since fuel is stuck in the $2.60-$3.50 range and probably going to $4-ish soon. Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all come out with much smaller vehicles over the last 3 yrs. GM and Ford are planning redo's on their key small vehicles.
    Thanks. However, that doesn't tell me how big the new Corolla will be inside. It's possible to put mid-sized interior volume into a car with exterior dimensions like that--as demonstrated by the Elantra and Sentra. I'd be surprised if the new Corolla isn't bigger inside, since some of its competitors have an advantage there, and as noted Toyota is counting on the Corolla to be its sales leader in the U.S.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "...can see slaes volume numbers very close to the Civics. "

Where have you been sandman? Hiding in the sand? ;) We've been kicking the Civic's butt for a while now with the current Corolla. Wait till this new one shows up. Should be soon. Creepy crawlers Halloween night!
    :)
    Mackabee
    "and as noted Toyota is counting on the Corolla to be its sales leader in the US"

I don't know who came up with this gem but our bread and butter is and always will be the Toyota Camry.
    Mackabee
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    For the next five years maybe, but perhaps not forever.....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Toyota is expecting it to pass the Camry and become the No 1 auto in the US ( and Canada? ).

See 1601, I believe it was a Toyota salesperson who said:

I am a little surprised at that but not much. What was Toyota's #1 seller in the U.S. for many years? Corolla, wasn't it? And if the 2009 Corolla is much improved and still offers high fuel economy, I can see it passing up the Camry as gas prices keep climbing steadily upwards.
    Actually it was Toyota, Mack. Solid sources.

Now some things have to fall into place..
    ..fuel going to $4 or $5 or $6 a gallon is the key one.
    ..new CAFE standards like the Hill-Terry bill that Toyota and GM and Ford and Chrysler all support will mandate a 'blended average' FE of 32 mpg. The Senate bill which is being negotiated is stiffer yet at 35 mpg for the entire fleet. If this is the case then the sales of small cars are going to have to shoot up at the expense of everything else.
    I don't trust most anything that comes from the US corporate offices. Now that Jim Press, Farley and who else is leaving I think I know what is happening. The Japanese got tired of the decline in quality with Toyota in the US and made a clean break. Backy, it was the Corona and not the Corolla.
    Mackabee
    the car comes with the smart key system, nav, leather, moonroof, bluetooth, alloys for around 20k You may have to kiss the Camry goodbye as the number one seller in the US but I highly doubt it. The mid size family sedan is every manufacturers big money maker other than trucks.
    Mack
    You can look at the price of a Civic EX with leather and nav and know it will not have all that stuff for $20K.
    You can already option a 2008 LE with cloth seats and no nav to over $20K MSRP.
    Expect a 2009 with everything to be more like around $23-24K MSRP fully loaded.
    Just think of that - a $24K Corolla. Times truly have moved on...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I don't think we'll get the SKS like they have in Europe, but I may be wrong, but all the other options are definitely going to be available.

However I think the price will be an XRS, with whichwever upgraded engine they use, fully loaded, at about $23000. This to me makes perfect sense. It's about $2500 less than a Camry 2.4L XLE but without leather and no SKS either.

So a buyer at $22000-$23000 can opt for a bigger Camry 2.4L LE with standard options - or - a sportier top-of-the-line Corolla with Toyota's most modern 4c engine.
    I don't think the American public is ready for a 23k Corolla no matter how many goodies are in it. Maybe not the smart key but why not the push button start? Even the Nissan Sentra has the push button start.
    Mackabee
    Just adding up the known options to a probable XRS base will give a $22-$23000 loaded model. It won't be a big seller but it depends on how nice the interiors are. Euro-nice? Mini-Lexus-nice? There might be a nice niche down the road if people start parking their SUVs in favor or an upscale small commuter. $5 or $6 a gallon fuel will make this segment very very hot.
    the base engine in the '09 gets the Corolla back to a 40 mpg rating (highway, manual shift)...

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The current one gets an estimated 41 mpg highway under the old EPA testing, and I think 38 mpg under the new testing. I'd bet the new one will be just as good, even though it may be heavier.
    In six days. I can't wait to see the Matrix image. I hope I'm not disappointed.!
    Mack
    I bet the new one will be just as good too. But I want it to be BETTER than the outgoing model. ;-)

• novanova Member Posts: 135
    Are you saying the new redesigned 08 matrix is coming in 6 days.I have not seen any info on them. Are there any 08's on the lots or is your car the first one you know of?
    Thanks from south FL.
    It will be the new redesigned 2009 Matrix and Corolla. They will be revealed at the 2007 SEMA show in Las Vegas on Halloween night. You can get more info on this site: link title
    Mackabee

p.s. they will go on sale in mid February/ early March 2008
    http://sarawananravindran.com/2007/10/2009-toyota-corolla-north-america-leak/
    This was leaked online could this be the 2009 Corolla?
    Maybe, but left hand drive photos from other countries have been posted before and the side marker lights usually do not not make it to US models.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    well what does everyone think about the new corolla and matrix?
    also when are we going to find out the prices of these new models?
    I like that it has factory nav, but I don't like that it isn't better integrated into the dash. It looks just like a standard double-din aftermarket unit and that will tempt thieves that may assume they can steal it expecting it to work in any car with double-din slot.

For just a few more dollars they could have made a custom plastic face plate that exactly matched and flush-fit the dash.

I would probably skip navi on it because you can do very little with Toyota navi systems while driving. You will have to pull over and stop and this may be very inconvenient if you're not near an exit and dangerous if you're in a bad neighborhood when you stop. There are lots of places where it is difficult to find any place to legally stop and park.
    I wish you could enter addresses by voice like you can with the latest Honda nav systems.

I think it "looks" good, but the real test will be if it "feels" good. I hope they have replaced the awkward driving position with something more ergonomic and comfortable. More seat and steering wheel adjustment was needed compared to old models.

http://www.motivemagazine.com/gallery/gallery.html?c=show_album;p=Manufacturers/- - - - - - - - - Toyota/Corolla/2009-Present

I like the Corolla, as a mini Camry, a lot better than the new Matrix. The interior is sharper and more up to date of course. The XRS with leather, Navi and BT will be very very sharp IMO.

I'm surprised and disappointed that the 2.4L has been dropped into the top trims. Turbo option?