Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    Got the 08 Accord instead ;)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You should have bought the 08 Camry SE! More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
    :)

And better looking too!
    Not really...

link title
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    But the problem is the 2.4 is technologically very dated now - it should have been updated for the Camry line by now too. This could have been the perfect opportunity to update this engine for both model lines, had Toyota only seized it.

Given that Toyota just recently introduced the Valvematic 2.0-liter engine rated at around 150 bhp in Japan, they should have put this engine in the new Corolla. It would have offered almost as much power as the 2.4-liter I-4 but with much better fuel economy. Hopefully, Toyota will put this engine on 2010 Corollas coming in 2009.
    Sure it is. The Camry looks like a Camry. The 08 Accord looks like everything else out there that's made by GM/Saturn. The last generation Accord was way more elegant and attractive than this Saturn look alike.
    : :P
    Mack
    Perhaps to you it does, but to me, its a nice looking car, and nicer interior than the Camry, and many agree. We all have our likes and dislikes, and this Accord was purchased because of its looks in and outside over the Camry.

:shades:
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    Perhaps you didn't notice but this is a Toyota Corolla forum, NOT a Honda Accord Forum. We are all glad you purchased a vehicle you liked. But enough of the Accord already. Believe it or not but Edmund's offers a Forum for the Accord
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Bingo - you got to it first. It's also not Brand War Smackdown '07, so let's stick to talking about the Corolla.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bruce_leebruce_lee Member Posts: 23
    Well, I am with sr1945.

He posted his opinions on how lame Toyota was with it's refresh. I don't think looks much different then the current Corolla.... :mad:

I know it's been said many times here, but, I, like many others, was hoping/expecting something more 'exciting', especially after being delayed a couple a years. I just thought you might want to hear another consumer's point of view, again. ;)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The mechanicals and interior are more important than the exterior styling when I choose a vehicle.
    What I expected as a minimum was 5 speed automatic and 6 speed manual transmissions and standard ABS and standard curtain airbags.
    If Toyota upgrades the transmissions during the model run.............

The styling of the Corolla is identifiable as part of the Toyota family and is pleasant if not exciting. No problems with the styling.
    Ok. The 2009 Corolla is way better looking than the Accord. I'm not brand smacking just stating the obvious.

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Accord is in a whole different class than the Corolla. Inside and out it's just a better redesign...period. But that's just a personal opinion on my part as yours is on your part. Having owned both brands now, plus Nissan and Mazda, have to give the nod to Honda. Having owned 4 Toyotas in the past, they were all good cars, good appliances. Glad we did but there are other cars just as good in the market.
    I know you'll flame me here, but since you work for Toyota, it's expected. I have no personal allegience to any car company, I can just speak from personal experience with the 4 big foreign car companies.
    The new Corolla looks like a very nice car and will probably look at one for the kids. Just prefer the Civic at this stage of our buying cycle.

The Sandman :)
    You'll get the manual 5spd tranny in the XRS and also the 5 spd auto. A 5 speed auto doesn't make sense with the new 1.8L Dual VVT-i. Abs and curtain airbags will be standard. VSC/Trac is optional. Here's a link to all the specs.
    link title :shades:
    Don't get me wrong, I do not hate Honda on the contrary they are our biggest competitor and our family has also owned Honda products. My middle son has had two Integras and is currently driving a Prelude SH.
    If I had to choose something besides a Toyota I would go with a Honda first and Nissan second.
    You are right that it's an apple to oranges comparo. However, not to get off topic, IMHO the current Camry has higher quality interior materials than the new 08 Accord. Both manufacturers have lowered the quality of the interiors in the products they are making. This seems to be a trend in the industry as a way off cutting costs. When enough customers complain they will change. It's happened before.
    Mack
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    I agree. I attended the SF Auto Show this past Saturday and compared the redesigned Accord to the current Camry and there was no comparison. The Camry had far better looking and feeling and higher quality interior materials than the new Accord.

Back to the all new '09 Corolla though. I had the pleasure of seeing the new Corolla at the SF Auto Show and I was very impressed. Unfortunately, the Corolla was roped off and the doors locked but I was able to put my face up to the window and get a good look inside; Toyota did an outstanding job with the interior. I also thoroughly love the exterior. I believe the new Corolla will be a huge hit! They also have the all new Matrix next to it and it also very extremely nice looking inside and out. Just my two cents.
    Thank You. It's going to be a HUGE hit along with the Matrix. I can't wait for February 11, 2008 to come around. :)
    Mackabee
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    One posting comparing Toyota to Honda is an opinion, and for the most part welcomed. However multiple postings by the same poster about Honda in the Toyota forum is no longer constructive and doesn't belong. I am sure there is a Honda forum that he can post where people are interested in what he might have to say. But perhaps not. Seems like they are all over here.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Most reviews say the new Camry interior looks cheaper quality than the Accord.
    I think the style and design of the Camry interior looks nicer, but the quality of the materials is too cheap. Looks better in photos than real life.
    Have you actually spent some time in both vehicles? Reviewers can't remember one detail from the next so I don't put too much faith in them. I should have been from Missouri,. SHOW ME!
    Mack
    '
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you two (and anyone else interested) meet up in the Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry discussion to continue.
    I've been there and got the T-shirt. Some folks just like to beat a dead horse! :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Which, ahem, is exactly what's going on here with the (mostly off-topic) comparos.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ham3ham3 Member Posts: 1
    Ya everybody gets tired of comparing Hondas and Toyotas, but I have a 2005 Corolla and I tested both, and on smooth pavement they are pretty much the same. But we have to drive about 2 miles of wash board dirt road. Next time you compare these two try a road like that and you will find a huge difference with the nod easily going to the Corolla. It absorbs these bumps quietly and quite smoothly. Whereas the Honda sounds tinny and knocks your teeth out. I was test driving with my 16 y/o daughter (to be her car) and that made her mind up...she wanted the Corolla. By the way I have frequently got right at 41 mpg on interstate at 77mph...pretty good if you ask me....why get a Prius? I do like the new look...now the question is are the seats a tad better, and how about the position, which as I read was the biggest complaint on the last series.
    They have changed the sitting position on both the Corolla and Corolla Matrix. Should be more user friendly along with the tilt/telescoping wheel. Like I said, I can't wait for them to get here. :)
    Mackabee
    The U.S. is getting the same exact Corolla that Europe and Australia already have. There are only a few minor cosmetic differences such as the front grill. Every review that I've read from overseas markets states that one of the biggest improvements on the all new 10th gen Corolla is the seats and in particular the driver seating position. One reviewer in South Africa stated the following referring to the driver's seat: "you are now sitting 'in' the seat instead of 'on' the seat." Also adding the telescopic steering wheel feature makes it even easier to find a comfortable driving position. At least three reviewers stated that this new Corolla is the best Corolla ever. I'm greatly looking forward to its arrival in early February 2008! :)
    I certainly hope it is the best ever. I've never heard of a new car being released where a previous version was better.
    The 4-speed automatic is a red flag, but I suppose it's possible that it will still be OK.
    The worst aspects of a rental Corolla I drove were the driving position and extremely loud and ugly sounding engine when you tried to accelerate quickly. Embarrassing, especially since the car didn't even move much after the noise.
    The Corolla engine doesn't rev sweetly like Hondas, so I hope they load the car with sound insulation to mask the drone.
    With the exception of the climate controls. Looks like ours are right out of the Scion xD, xB, and Yaris twins. The knobs look cheesy and are rather flimsy. Sorry about the rhyme!

This is what the instrument panel looks on the Ultima Corolla which I'm guessing here will be our XLE Corolla.

Here's the interior of our Corolla S. Notice the three knobs in the center dash for the climate control.

Here's the interior of our Corolla XLE. Same climate control knobs. Why couldn't they put the push button climate control unit in there?

The new Corolla comes standard with an all new 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i engine. From what I've read and heard this new engine is quieter and much more refined. I was a bit disappointed initially when I heard about the 4 speed auto but now I don't really think it's a big deal at all. Australia and South Africa get the same exact set up and the new Corolla is selling like crazy their. You may not think it's the "best ever" since this is an opinion of a few professional car reviewers. Just a suggestion, if you like the way a Honda engine sounds you might want to consider buying a Honda product. I've personally driven several current 9th gen Corolla's and have found they all have very good acceleration. I agree, the engine can be a bit coarse at times but this will be remedied by the new 1.8 Dual VVT-i engine in the new Corolla.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Does the new Corolla come with a manual tranny? My wife is thinking this might be a good car for her and I think nah, but she has to drive it not me. Supposedly good economy but she wants a 5 spd and not an automatic. Nothing official I've seen yet says clearly what you can order.
    Very good come back [macabee] about the new Corolla being [NOT]the exact same as the European model. Its not. The European model gets a much nicer control panel and that is what I was hoping for and why I put down a deposit, later canceled. So much nicer interior controls and cannot understand why not here in the US but in Europe instead.

The fake wood trim is pretty bad looking as well, and wish they would use a more upscale trim that I would be willing to upgrade and pay for, but no to this either.

I would think by giving us the better look inside, perhaps a little better exterior as well, Toyota would sell even more for those that like better looks and not just the same old bland appearance. Yes, I know, they will sell many, but would it not be to their interest to sell even more. $$ is what they are in this for is it not ?
    Agreed. Even I'm considering getting one but the interior controls for the ac turned me off. (no pun intended). I hope they reconsider and built the nice control panel into it. Maybe a few calls to Toyota customer assistance center.? I don't know what the price points are going to be but if current trend is an indication then it will be a lot of car for the money.
    Mack
    Yep, you can get the standard, S, and LE with a manual tranny. Go to this link for more info: link title

Mack :shades:
    Thanks for the link. The new car looks good, but looks like prices will be much higher and no rebates for a while.
    There is no reason for prices to be much higher unless you choose to look at one that has extra options that weren't available before (like nav) or compare the MSRP to a 2008 without optional side airbags and other new standard features on the 2009.
    I bet the MSRP will not be much higher if they are similarly equipped.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    MSRPs will probably be somewhat higher because of more standard equipment, specifically ABS and side bags/curtains. But real-world prices will probably be significantly higher than for comparably-equipped 2008 Corollas for awhile, since the 2008s have rebates and big discounts and it's likely those will disappear until the people who "gotta have the all-new Corolla" are satiated. Whether that takes a few weeks or months is a function of market demand for the new Corolla.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I don't care if you buy a Corrolla, Whatever they nail you on options.
    The :) Honda Civic EX_L has leather and heated seats.Do you think Toyota missed the boat there
    Leather and heated seats can be added by the dealer and maybe it will become a factory option on the XLE later if there is enough demand.
    Leather will be available on the XRS model.
    There is no reason for prices to be much higher unless you choose to look at one that has extra options that weren't available before (like nav) or compare the MSRP to a 2008 without optional side airbags and other new standard features on the 2009.

Well to me it looks like the trim levels have changed a bit but my concern was the OTD price. MSRP is not a concern at all. But as someone pointed out, the rebates and discounts will not apply to a car that still has the paint drying on the dealers lot. I think this is true for any make of car, when brand new, no discounts. Amazing that Honda is discounting Accords already. My wife thinks they are too huge for her to drive.
    I figure a 2008 OTD price like I was looking at would be around $15K based on Edmunds info.
    So maybe the 2009 will cost $16K when the prices settle down. Light on the options keeps the price down and all that's needed is power windows and door locks and cruise control and A/C with a single CD player. Pretty minimal.
    15k Out the door? For which trim level? CE, LE, or S? What options?
    Mack
    That was for 2008 S and I forget which option it had but it wasn't a big one invoice was like $15something and with rebates and discounts I figure I could have gotten it for about that. MSRP was $17K. We have no taxes and title is usually $50 and their paperwork would vary depending on where I'd buy one. Usually $100 or so for licensing. It might have gone up I've had my car a long time now.
    2008's are pretty much on clearance. I finally have some time off and my wife isn't allowing me to car shop until we get back home. But a 2009 is not going to have much in the way of incentives for a while.
    In my region there's a 1k cash back or 3.9 financing thru the end of December. They are going at invoice or invoice less rebate. Don't wait until the supply get low though because you may not get what you want.
    Mack
    In my region there's a 1k cash back or 3.9 financing thru the end of December. They are going at invoice or invoice less rebate. Don't wait until the supply get low though because you may not get what you want.

No choice, I'm on vacation and my wife is adamant, no car anything until it's over. I was lucky to get any time off at all this year everything is so busy. I need a car myself and she needs a car but my Subie WRX has over 200K on it and it's not doing so well. but I'll be back at work on Jan 2nd and I'll start seeing what I should buy for me. My wifes car has a lot of life left in it. She can wait a few months. The new Corolla looks sharp but they rate it as boring to drive. I've driven a lot of boring cars but would rather not. My wife is into boring cars and doesn't care at all about performance just good in snow and reliable with a manual tranny and the usual basic options. I won't spend much over $15K for her car. She should drive a Yaris! The Corolla would fit 4 adults for when mine breaks. :blush:
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    And we're still outselling the Civic!

Not any more Mack. Check out the November sales. The Civic outsold the Corolla. Oh! Better get used to being number 2. Especially with the very underpowered new Corolla being released.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4381

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/corporate/2007/12/03-1-sales.html
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    It will continue to kick the Civic's butt because it appeals to the middle of the market where most of the buyers are located. Will it make the purist purr and go soft, no not at all. All it will do is sell, sell, sell and make gobs of money.

Where was the middle of the market in November? They must have been buying Civics because the Civic was the one that sold the most.

Toyota has become lazy and complacent and Civics sales are up almost 25%. So much for your theory about bland and boring selling the most.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4381

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/corporate/2007/12/03-1-sales.html
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Puleeze.. this is the end of the 6th year of this model... and the Civic just now edged ahead for one month as sales a production of the old Corolla wind down.

You were joking right jet??? After getting the tar beat out of it for 4 years the Civic edges ahead one month by about 100 units. That was funny one jet...yuk, yuk. :shades: ( ahem YTD sales )

Now back to your Civic board ( in 2nd place ).
    I wouldn't brag about selling 129 more Civics than Corollas. So we had a flat month. It happens. Just wait until January when the 09 Camry hits dealers lots and then February when the Corolla and Matrix arrive. We'll see who's left standing then. ;)
    Mackabee
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I and many did not buy in November and will not buy until the new Corollas are out in February. So, the Civic can enjoy the view from the top for the next FEW months but in February, watch out!
    They always ship small numbers when a new model comes out, so i bet they won't have enough built to increase sales until the 2009 has been out a few months.
    Sales will probably fall further after the 2009s debut due to low inventory of available cars to sell.
    This is Toyota we are talking about not GM. There will be plenty of inventory on ground.
    Mackabee
    All in all, I can care less if Corolla beats out Civic in sales or Civic beats out Corolla. I buy what I want and thats a more reliable care, that looks good to me inside and out, not to others.

I bought Hondas, both the 07 Civic and 08 Accord since the Corrolla is now bland to me. Still an OK car, but I want more now, not just the same.

Had two Corollas ( 2001 2003 ) and liked them, Rav 4 which I did not, Celica that I really liked, and now Honda's. So take the kid stuff that one is better than the other. Its all personal to the individual taste.

;)