Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs Ford F-150 II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1618....

Toyota Tundra vs Ford F-150. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    why buy a Tundra when a F-150 is about the same price, is bigger, gets about the same gas mileage, and is more powerful?? Or Silverado or (gasp) Dodge?? Seems like an awful lot to spend on a new truck that doesn't have the production numbers even close to Dodge. Man, if something went wrong with it it sure sounds like it is going to be expensive to fix. Course Toyota's never break...LOL
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    This would not be true with my Tundra! I have the exception regular cab V6.
    I know this will create a discussion. (above)

For all of you minority non-V8 (or higher) owners out there, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet, this is always a non-discussion because not many of us exist.

Maybe I will get me a V8 someday and join the crowd. LOL

trucksrme: About ready to get those taters out yet! Fruit trees have been doing very well this year too.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Quad,
    I left for a few days and the topic shifted, eh? Now the kid (dodgeram7) thinks I'm a "Chevy loser"! LOL!! (I hope he reads this--then he'll find out how to actually spell "loser".)
    Last week, according to my new friend, I was 10 and driving a Tundra! I thought these kids would have some video games to play instead of gumming up our discussions....
  • gpatkins2gpatkins2 Member Posts: 1
    My experience is that Toyota's in general are very reliable, but when they need repair, after
    a 100m miles or so, it will be expensive. Parts are twice as much, but last twice as long.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Hmmmm...a little oversimplication stated here don't you think?
    maybe your a lucky one? Reliabilty is a matter of odds. How you take care of it, drive it, how it was built all play a factor. Maybe a Toyota or Ford is built better, but if you don't take care of it, it will break. And everybody makes a lemon - how do you know you won't get one.

tundradude - V6 regular cab close to what I wanted. Just wanted the small V8 Chevy regular cab, but the old lady had other ideas. Ended up with a ext. cab, big V8, LT package, big $$. Oh well, I actually like your combo though. How's it holding up???
    I will have had it a year on July 3rd. It has a little over 18,000 miles on it. With the exception of the vibration problem (Michelin's solved this), I have had no problems. Having the long bed comes in handy like getting loads of wood every now and then, for the woodstove. It also comes in handy when pulling the camping trailer; storage space. The wife just requested two things on the Tundra; handles to hold on too. My last truck was void of them. The other was cloth seats. The last one had vinyl.
  • sampson7sampson7 Member Posts: 25
    I went thru the dilemma you are asking about. I was a coin-flip away from the Ford. I like the F-150 and realized when I bought a Tundra that the Ford had a bigger bed. With respect to price and mileage, they are about the same (as I would have equipt). I was shopping for a small V8 for my towing and hauling needs, so the Ford didn't have the edge there. It was a tough choice because the Ford has PROVEN to be a good truck, while the Tundra is a new model.

I think I am pretty typical of most Tundra buyers, when I say that I bought the Toyota because of their reputation for quality. My past experience with Toyota vehicles (my family and others) as well as domestics has been that our Toyotas proved to be more reliable, longer lasting, and less problematic. Though it's true that repairs are more expensive, they have been very rare.

Like I said, it was a tough choice. I won't know the answer for a few years. I have faith that the Tundra will prove its metal over time. If this truck is as reliable as the Corolla, the Camry, the Land Cruiser, etc, then I made the right choice.

My Dad has a new F-150, which I've driven a few hundred miles and now I've driven my Tundra about 7,000 miles. The Tundra is more quiet, but otherwise they are very similar.

If the Tundra does not prove to be more reliable, durable, and long-lasting than the domestics, then I wouldn't recommend one over a Ford or Chevy.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    My Tundra is 2 weeks old now. Almost 1000 miles. Only complain so far is the 'I owe you' bed liner from the dealer. They haven't called me!

My friend who was test driving an F150 with me gave in and bought one. It's a great truck. It's all about personal preference. He's a Ford / VW guy and I'm a Toyota / VW guy. He loves his truck and I can understand why. As I love mine and he understands why as well.

We're going camping next weekend. Like idiots that we are, we are taking our brand new 4x2's into the woods! I know I will have pin stripes on the sides when I get back! ha!

Have a great day!
  • dbhulldbhull Member Posts: 150
    Well.... two honest and civil posts about the Tundra. That is very rare and good to see. I guess not all Tundra owners have a chip on their shoulders and full of hate/torment like modvptnl, Present4U, and rwellbaum2. They just aren't right at all!

Glad you like your Tundras. I don't doubt they are as good as any, but certainly no better than any of the big three. ratboy3 said it best when he stated it is a preference. I am sure the Tundra is a nice truck, but after my experience with two sets of Tacoma head gaskets, a camry that chewed up starters and fly wheels every 10k miles, I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. Maybe it is just a stigma thing.

I really like my new F150. Had a few problems with my 99 Silverado, but nothing so major to keep me from buying another one someday. It was a new year model and had issues to work out, just like the Tundra has.

Happy motoring. See ya in my rearview mirror....:)
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Any Tundra owners with leather? Please post neg vs. positive comments on leather seats. Thanx!
    Tundra. It is a good truck. Size was a issue, so it almost immediatly ruled it out. I like the Tundra V6, but think they could get a little better mileage out of the V8. Chevy seems to excel in mileage, which is nice when the price is high like it is now. I also agree that the Ford 4.6L V8 is nothing to write home about. I've driven some of their new 4.2L V6's also and was not impressed, but maybe Rocles can say different. I have not spent a whole lot of time in them. One more question for you. What kind of mileage are you getting with the V6 Tundra and is it a 4X4? Thanks...
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I own Fords you twit......and like you made a lot of Chevy owners switch when you were Zbad I think a lot of Ford owners are thinking about jumping ship because of your affiliation of the day ..................just razzing 'ya.
  • sampson7sampson7 Member Posts: 25
    Not sure if you are asking me...

But I have the V8, not the V6. It's a 4X4 access cab. I get 16 / 18 mpg. Towing a 2,000 lbs boat and about 300 pounds of gear I get around 15 with overdrive locked out. Pretty similar to all the other fullsize, V8, 4X4s. Most of my tanks have been right around 17 with mixed driving. I've got a pretty light right foot, however.

Dbhull and ratboy are right, a lot of it is personal preference. My best friends drive GM and they always will. My Dad drives Ford, and he always will. We are all happy with our trucks and I have never tried to convince them that they are wrong. In fact, one of my friends is going to get a new truck and his wife asked me what they should get. I said "get a Silverado", she asked why, since I bought the Tundra. I told her that he would be unhappy with anything else, if they get a Tundra and the dash falls off, he will never quite complaining. If the dash falls off a Silverado, he'll get it fixed under warranty and shrug it off.

I think one of the reasons for all the bickering, is that the Tundra owners feel attacked, so they retaliate. Back and forth, yada yada. It's fun, but sometimes ya'll need a reality check.

Remember, there is no perfect truck.
    You make a good point. I here what your saying, but I could be swayed to buy a Tundra if they were bigger, etc. Your getting decent mileage - a little better than what I get (4X4, ext. cab, 5.3L). It amazes me sometimes the mileage these trucks get. Been accustom (sp?) to getting 12 with the wind at my back going downhill so long I don't know how to act - LOL. I don't think I have a personal preference though, I've driven just about all of them and try to pick what's best. The 3/36 warranty they give you is usually enough time to see if you got a good one or not - if not trade it. Isn't it amazing though how biases effect our purchasing decisions. In soft drinks, computer, food, everything. I try to be rational about trucks, but there are other things that I should probably study more - makes you wonder. Good luck with yours...
    I have a 4X2. With the V6:

Best: 20
    Worst: 17
    Average 18.5

Towing 4000(estimated) pound trailer:
    Best: 13.5
    Worst 11.5
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    You're right on the biases of people. Go to Wal-Mart and buy anything, and there are bound to be many different companies that make that same product. It's all in competition. If there was none, there would be no need for companies to improve their products. Whatever it is you're looking at buying, there's decisions to make on what one is best. Even things like what bank you go to or what grocery store you like best is all a matter of what a particular person likes. The thing is, everyone is different. Not everyone likes the same foods as their friend, or in this case, the same trucks.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    How about a Dakota Quad 4x4 with the small V8:

Best: 20
    Worst: 18
    Average: 19

Weight: 4,500 lb.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    strikes death to all these posts anyway...
    Don't worry, it's been almost a month since "the change" he'll give up on it soon enough. More than likely when they start passing that collection plate one to many times and it starts digging in to that 6 figure income.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is that anyway to talk about a fellow Ford owner?
    That, hopefully for real Ford owners, is also just a passing phase. After a flat tire it will be the biggest piece of junk ever.
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    How, or why,and when, did you figure that dbhull was, or is, or resembles Zbad?

I am still having a hard time beleiving the two are the same. No way---
    Swift---
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Let's keep it on topic people....

leave the name calling, and personal assaults elsewhere. My DELETE finger is getting tired.

Front Porch Philosopher
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
This discussion has been closed.