Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    So wait, your bad experience with a first year product came after 132,000 miles on the odometer?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Love it or hate it it's still going to be a very nice car even with the 4spd auto. ;)

Is there any Toyota that you would not say "is a very nice"?
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    As one who is an advertising executive for a monthly consumer electronics magazine, I can assure you that product review results are influenced by display advertising. Although ideally there is a wide line of demarcation between the business side and the editorial side of the ledger in the consumer magazine business, in reality, and pragmatically, this is not the case. You simply do not tick off an account such as Toyota, Honda, et. al., as I assure you their respective Advertising Agency will retaliate buy not buying space in the magazine.

So, contributing editors or staff editors have to walk a very fine semantic line in the "word smithing" of reviews. It is an art form.

From my 20 years of experience in magazine display advertising, I place no credence on any reviews of any product in an advertising-supported magazine. Display advertising space, and resultant revenue, is what pays the bills, and salaries, of most publisher's employees; it's not the subscription income nor the newsstand sales income, as both barely cover the printing and mailing costs of a monthly magazine.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Well, I got you beat! I've owned 3 Camrys, 3 Corollas, 1 Vanwagon Le, 1 MR2, 1 Scion tC and a couple of Integras and 1 Prelude in the mix. Loved them all but my favorite was and still is the MR2. Yes I do sell them for a living and I love them so much that even my underwear has a Toyota logo.
    :P
    There's been a few "dogs" in the line up. The Echo comes to mind. Ugly car that was supposed to be a $9999.00 car but at that price you didn't even get a/c. The Tercel in the last couple of years was overpriced, the Paseo was not a beauty queen either, it was a sporty Tercel. The T-100 4 cylinder was a disappointment also. Overall it's a winning lineup.
    :shades: :shades:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    This IS the future vehicles thread: obviously it is a place for people to speculate, and once the car is at dealerships and available for us to drive, this topic will move out of the Future Vehicles board altogether.

mackabee: you think the torque control is for the XRS models, because the 2.4 is torquey enough to cause torque steer? That would be my guess. Can you tell if it is standard or optional?

Edit: don't be too hard on my little Echo now! That car is a precision instrument for commuting and saving gas, and there is no better car out there for those two purposes, IMO. My Matrix by contrast uses almost 20% more gas under the same conditions. And is harder to park downtown (bigger).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

It's standard and I just noticed it's on the awd model. Don't know if it will be on the front wheel drive. We have a bunch on the allocation list and I just happened to pick the one with the VSC as I thought it would be the XRS but it's only the S model.
    Mack
    The Echo and the Yaris are two Toyotas we can sell for full MSRP and make minimum commission. I tell customers I would soon sell it at invoice and make it a quick sale so I can move on to the next. The 3 door Yaris is actually kind of "cute" a lot of chicks are buying them. The sedan not so much as it's just as much as a Corolla when you option it out.
    Mack
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We've been a foreign car family since the mid '70's and after owning 4 Toyota's, 2 Nissan's, 1 Mazda and 1 Honda, all are great cars for the segment that they're in. My newest car, the '06 Civic LX, drives much nicer than the Sentra it replaced which drove better than the Corolla's it replaced. We loved our Camry's but quality issues turned us away from Toyota. I can't say enough good things about the Civic except that it drives differently than the Corolla's...not any better but different.
    Am I a "Toyota hater" or a "Honda lover" or whatever label y'all want to use, don't matter much to me. We buy what we like considering the best ride against the best cost and we just like this size car. Will be helping the oldest get her 1st car this fall and we'll test drive everything out to see what she likes best. Everyone will get a fair shot as I know she has no preference about any manufacturer.
    Hopefully from now on in this forum, the "name calling" will stop and understand one thing...most of us in Edmunds.com are car lovers and always cross read different models that we like. "One size does not fit all"!

The "Sick" Sandman :sick:
    (healing from back surgery)
    I don't think anyone here put a label on you. There's two other guys that just beat a dead horse to death!~so it gets monotonous. Just another month and we'll have the car here.
    Mack
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is really hard to to--beating a dead horse to death!

Here's a general question for everyone: in what ways is the 2009 Corolla a leader amongst its competitors? Here's a chance to espouse all the best features of the new Corolla.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I guess you might have guessed these two...

Sales and profits. :shades:
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "Sales and profits"

Which translates to the car that MOST people like/want, compared to other cars that are higher priced, quicker, better road feel, or whatever. The cars that are quicker, etc. are bought by fewer people, including car enthusiasts, who sometimes seem to HATE Toyota.

Personally, I have no problems with the other cars in this class, but my preference (like most of the world) is the Corolla.

I would bet that the new '09 Corolla will outsell everything in it's class, and maybe even beat the top sellers in the midsize class, especially if the gasoline prices continue to climb. Consider that the current Corolla is 6 years old and still beat everything in it's class in sales and profits in 2007, and many of the same enthusiasts hated this generation too.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    Why does it surprise you? There are tons of examples where product that is not the best in any measure getting best sales - for various reasons. All it needs to do is deliver exact mix of certain traits and price.

Why Corollas rule the world, not some cars that may be better? Most people have no clue what "good handling" really means. They want fuel economy, acceptable performance and stellar reliability. They probably could not care less about styling or interior as long as it's not terrible. They want as much utility as you could expect from that size, so pouches, compartments and trunk must have good size.
    There are a few other cars that fit that description. Corolla happens to be either less expensive (from Civic) or have better name, at least for now (Elantra). The press and the enthusiasts love another one (Mazda3 - so do I), but average Joe thinks tight suspension is bad, mpgs are only so-so and the car costs more on average. Moreover, Toyota figured out the pricing and production such that practically every unit they sell is profitable, even last one.

Look around - is there anybody else who could do that on consistent basis? Honda perhaps, Hyundai seems to be getting there, but not quite. Domestics gave up fifteen years ago, when Blazers and Explorers ruled the road - today they are paying price for that neglect.

Corolla does not need to be better in anything - as long as there is perception that it's all that Joe/Jane Customer need and they agree to pay asking price - it's all that matter. And no amount of anti-Toyota emotion will change it.

By the way - I hate the way they drive, I hate they way they package them, and I despise Southeastern Toyota Dealers. The hell will freez over before I would buy one. But that's completely beside the point. I know I'm minority and I can live with that as long as there is somebody making cars for me. I wish Toyo good luck as long as they don't destroy those who make my cars.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Here's a general question for everyone: in what ways is the 2009 Corolla a leader amongst its competitors? Here's a chance to espouse all the best features of the new Corolla. :confuse:

Not sure how many more times this "Corolla Forum" can express why we think the Corolla is " a leader amongst its competitors" or how many more times you can express why the Corolla isn't. However it is really a moot point. We will continue to purchase the Corolla because we feel it is the best value for the money, and you will continue to purchase the vehicle you like for the same reasons. And this is really a good thing because If everybody liked the same vehicle. Nobody could afford it.
  • hawari31hawari31 Member Posts: 7
    Brilliant post [dino001], and I really appreciate your analogy here. You said "By the way - I hate the way they drive, I hate they way they package them,".
    Could you explain what you mean by this statement?

I think someone else has posted another remarkable reply [kdhspyder], so thank you for that as well.

I don't understand why people are crying wolf about the corolla plain Jane appearance, performance...etc. Not everybody wants to be an enthusiast having a pleasure when cornering and driving fast!! Although, I would not label anybody with "XXXXXX hater" because Hate is a very strong word.

I own an 06 Camry and 2 Hondas, and I can tell you the Camry kicks Honda's butt in the comfort department. I would expect that my next car, after I sell my aging accord, a COROLLA!! :D
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    Many people claim that Honda Civic, Mazda 3....and other "small" cars are better equipped and superior to Toyota Corolla.
    Well, on paper all these cars might be superior; however, in real world Toyota Corolla is the leader. Why? Because:
    - It has 1.8l engine that has enough power to support the weight of the car. Many will say that Mazda and Honda have more horses, but if you look at the hp/weight ratio of the car, Corolla is extremely well balanced. It is not a race car, buy has excellent pick up and go power for its engine and excellent gas millage.
    - It has 1.8l engine that has newer technology for improving gas millage that other companies do not have.
    - Fuel economy is steady thru out life of the car. If it says 32-38mpg, it will be like that for a very long time. I used to have Tercel with 1.5l engine - car has 250,000miles on it and it still does the same fuel economy.
    - It has comfortable ride that might not be as sporty as Mazda 3; however, the car takes you from point A to point B with pleasure.
    - It can have kind of sporty ride - if you can make turns with 70mph with other cars, Corolla will allow you to make these same turns with 60-65 miles. If you ask me that is more than enough. I and average Joe are not speed racers. Plus, I do not want to get tickets for just showing off how fast is my car.
    - Transmission (I can talk only for 9th gen. Corolla, but I think 10 gen. will be the same) is extremely well fitted to this 1.8l engine. I can go 80mph in 2900rpm. Can you do that with Honda Civic and Mazda 3?
    - Real World Reliability of Toyota Corolla is unmatched.
    - Many people that have Toyotas like to work on their cars (change oil for instance). It is much easier to work on Corollas than on Civics or Mazda 3.
    - Materials used in Corolla are slightly nicer quality than Civic (I do not know about Mazda 3).
    - No blind spots in Corolla.
    There other small things that make Corolla leader in its class. Many people have negative opinion about Toyota Corolla or Toyota cars. Some of them might have had bad experience with Toyota, but majority of people love Toyota brand.
    It is a personal choice what car you wanna drive; however, if you want comfortable ride, excellent gas millage, and superior reliability Toyota Corolla or I should say Toyota product is the right choice.
    I do not say that other cars are not good; however, for the money and YOUR TIME Toyota is the way to go. "Your time" - I mean time spend in dealerships. :sick: or :D
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Hear, hear! Not everybody wants to be an "enthusiast", yet the 5 or 6 people who complain about Corolla on these forums give the impression of a majority. A lot of people, like myself, merely want to turn the key and go in relative comfort, and not have to WORRY about anything. Corolla, my 10-year-old, included, has done that very, very well, and that's why it sells, in my opinion.

Did anybody happen to see the test drive PBS' MotorWeek did on of the '09 Corolla? I can't find it online. If so, what did they think of it?
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I live in North East Ohio and it was on our PBS station last week end. They featured the XRS with leather and navigation along with most of the available options. I thought it was a very favorable report ( almost always are ). The new Corolla is a sharp looking vehicle with a ton of options available. It will be your choice to either spend a little with the basic models or go nuts and buy the vehicle they were featuring on TV with all the options. They didn't have any prices available at the time of the report :shades:
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    The Motorweek review of the 2009 Corolla aired on PBS last weekend (Jan 5th and 6th). They only presented a test drive of the XRS trim. The review was a very positive one.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the Corolla. It is reknowned worldwide for high quality, reliability, and dependability. These are the PRIMARY reasons I'm buying a Corolla. It will be going on sale in about a month and I can't wait to test drive one!
    This is motorweeek review. They do not say anything new....
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2718a.shtml
    Enjoy it.
    :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, Motorweek always gives positive reviews. They have never given a critical review of any car I've seen.
    One question about the XRS with leather and navigation and most of the other available options: how much will it cost? I would expect well over $20k. I've seen estimated price ranges for the 2009 Corolla in the press in the realm of "$16-23K", so I'd venture to guess the loaded XRS will be up near $23k.

Second question: what else could I buy with my $23K? Just thinking...
    Good post. Some comments:

- The 1.8L engine is all-new yet manages to get only 1 mpg better (EPA overall) than older, larger (and more powerful) designs from its competitors. So what is the value of that new technology?
    - I would stack the real-world reliability of the Civic against that of the Corolla any day. Also, since the 2009 Corolla is a new design, with a new engine and new chassis, we don't really know what the reliability will be. History is on its side, but history didn't help the new Camry on that score.
    - Have you sat in the new Corolla and comparied its materials quality to that of the Civic, or other competitors? I can say from personal experience with the Civic and the current Corolla that the materials quality in the Civic is superior. Perhaps the new Corolla has improved there, but I haven't sat in it yet.
    I thnk that range is probably accurate.

At $23K for a fully loaded Corolla of whatever trim a buyer could get any number of other vehicles but these $23K Corollas will probably be few and far between. 1 o/o 100 in toto? If a buyer really wants a loaded Corolla it will be available. But there will be 99 other buyers looking more at the lower to mid trims in the $17-$20K range. The option is there for the buyer(s) who really wants that specific vehicle.

If like the past XRS it doesn't generate enough volume it will be dropped. That just depends on the public. The bread and butter remains the Base, LE and standard S models.
    Agreed. But when a mag reviews the top-line, loaded Corolla, I think its price point needs to be kept in mind. There's lots of nice cars available out there for around $20k.
    Accuracy is important..
    The 1.8 is not all new. It's currently out in the xD and it's a vast improvement over the older version. It's new only in that it adds dual VVT-i.
    The Civic is equally reliable for sure. I'll bet on history as regards the Corolla.
    Point well taken on the interiors. Yet... this is one of the flimsiest counter-arguments against the Corolla. It always has had very middle of the road looks and feels....and for the recent past that has meant nothing to the buying public.

We're back to the same point. Yes there might be superior handling and equipment on other vehicles....no one is denying that. Nevertheless there is a HUGE segment of the buying public for which these mean ... NOTHING!!!! As a couple of posters above noted these may actually be negatives.

Toyota has identified its core clientele. After 30 yrs you'd think so. It knows this segment, these buyers and what they want. In order to sell the most and keep the costs as low as possible it must build and sell generic. All the others have their places also. That's all that can be said.
    Again these reviews are just beauty pagaents. Nothing more. The articles are interesting to read but they matter little if they're reviewing a $23K vehicle and 99% of the public is looking for an $18K vehicle.
    Here is a direct quote from Toyota's press release when the 2009 Corolla was unveiled:

The Standard, LE and XLE models will be equipped with an all-new 1.8-liter engine.

I agree, though... accuracy is important. ;)

Funny though how no one objects when you bring up the same points (unrelated to this particular thread) again and again and again. OK for pro-Corolla points I guess, not if they have an alternate opinion.
    The 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i engine that will appear in the new Corolla is all new according to Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc executives. Here is a video of Tim Morrison, marketing manager for Toyota Motor Sales USA conducting a media preview of the all new '09 Corolla in Raleigh, NC back sometime in Sept or Oct 2007(copy and paste please):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEtqzgSrBE
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Some of the noteworthy MSRP $23,000 options (excluding cheaper ones):

Sporty:
    C30, Civic Si, Eclipse, MazdaSpeed3, Miata, Mini, Rabbit GTI, Scion tC TRD, Solstice

Family sedans:
    Accord, Altima, Avenger, Aura, Azera, Camry, Fusion, Impala, Jetta, Legacy, Malibu, Optima

SUVs:
    Forester, Impreza, Outback, Matrix, Mazda5, RAV4, PT Cruser turbo, Rogue

High mileage:
    Civic Hybrid, Prius

In other words, at least 31 interesting/viable alternatives for $23k that make a 2.4L Corolla look a bit silly IMO. But I've always had a hard time buying say a loaded Corolla when I can get a reasonably equipped Camry for the same money.
    Absolutely! I expect better from a Toyota. I drive conservatively and do all the recommended maintenace. I put lots of miles on a year, doing 90% on rural roads. And after 30 years of owning cars I've never suffered that much mechanical failure.
    Another response from the manufacturer's perspective (as if they need help from any of us to defend them). I'm writing from the consumer's viewpoint.

Consumers have waited a long time for the biggest car manufacturer in the world to update the most popular model in history and all we got was a "catch-up" product.

If Toyota shares your opinions, then their concerns is about themselves and not their customers. That's the most natural response in the world and IMO very shortsighted. Modern busines models all point to quality and innovation as the keys to long term success. Toyota quality has taken a down turn, and Gen 10 is not innovative.

So yes, as a customer I'll drive a Gen 10, but ultimately vote with my wallet and at this point, after owning 3 Toyotas, I doubt it will be for a 2009 Corolla.
    The new Corolla has a lot of problems, but that isn't one of them.
    There are many cars that overlap prices when you compare loaded models of one with less equipped versions of another vehicles. What matters if how pricing is when they are "comparably equipped."
    A Civic EX-L with Nav costs more than a Honda Accord LX, but some people still buy the Civic EX-L with Nav because they would rather have the equipment on the Civic than the bigger Accord with less options.
    Other people would rather have a bigger car with less options, so they take the Accord LX instead.
    Nothing strange about that.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Another response from the manufacturer's perspective (as if they need help from any of us to defend them). I'm writing from the consumer's viewpoint.

Perhaps you meant to say, "from an enthusiast's viewpoint."

Trust me. As stated repeatedly above, most consumers could not care less about what most of us in this kind of forum are interested in. As such, "consumers" who are in the center section of the bell curve area do not see "innovation" in the way you and I see. They are not wrong, and neither are we. That's the just the way it is.

At the same time, I would urge caution in using the word innovation. Innovation need not always be lofty-sounding credentials. As somone who has spent years in manufacturing including automotive, I can tell you that in this kind of business a lot of innovation takes place where it is not obvious and which is difficult to put in brochures and catalogs. Innovation can be in manufacturing process, for instance, that balances the cost and output, which, if done well, normally produces a win-win for both the manufacturer and consumers.

"Boring" is not necessarily an antithesis to "Innovation."
    I would like to make some clarifications for new Corolla:

- 1.8l engine is all new dual VVTI - L with 132hp and 128 torque. Now, Corolla is larger, wider, heavier by 100-300 lb., and it still gives you 1mpg more. I believe this is called an improvement. Backy, please give me an example where other manufacturer have done better job? Let's not talk about hybrids or diesels!
    - Reliability of Corolla(Toyota) is excellent. As a result, recent survey (I cannot remember where I read this) showed that Toyota customers have the highest percentage of repeated customers buying again Toyota product.
    - Reliability of new Corolla is excellent. Go ahead and read reviews of regular folks from England and Ireland who tell you why they love or not so much their new Corollas...
    Also, you will be able to find information about quality of materials in new Corolla in these reviews... I will post link of Toyota Ireland website in a moment.
    - Quietness of cabin is another very important advantage of new Corolla over new competitors. New Corolla will have new windshield made of several layers that will make the car very quiet. Also, there will be additional noise reducing materials thru out car's body. Europeans already noticed this big new improvement. They call new Corolla the most quiet car in its segment.
    - As far as safety, please look at this web site: http://www.toyota.ie/innovation/safety/ncap-ratings/corolla/
    There is only small difference between European Toyota Corolla and US version: there is no knee airbag.
    However, European Toyota Corolla is called the safest compact sedan in its class.
    - As far as innovation/technology, Reuters reports that Toyota leads in people perception for being a leader in innovation, technology and environment. Link for this discussion and article is here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227966

Is new Corolla the leader in its class? Probably not. But people know that this car has all futures that other cars have. Now, they might know that car will run and will be dependable vehicle for very long time, which requires less maintenance in comparison to other makes. Who does not want to have a vehicle that gives him/her less or no problems, so he/she can concentrate on other important things of life?
    :D
    This is a Toyota Ireland website with reviews for new Corolla.
    http://www.toyota.ie/models/reviews/corolla/
    Consumers have waited a long time for the biggest car manufacturer in the world to update the most popular model in history and all we got was a "catch-up" product.

If Toyota shares your opinions, then their concerns is about themselves and not their customers. That's the most natural response in the world and IMO very shortsighted. Modern busines models all point to quality and innovation as the keys to long term success. Toyota quality has taken a down turn, and Gen 10 is not innovative.

I'm sorry but you're just missing what is being said. You're viewing this from your personal perspective ( which is valid of course ) but you are generalizing from the specific which is an error in logic. You have to take a step back, ignore the specific instance, and look at the entire picture.

There are more voters out ther asking for exactly what Toyota is supplying than something more specialized such as what you're looking for. Supplying the greater demand in preferene over the smaller demand is just good business practice. It's why Toyota's marketing is better than everyone else's. They have recognized this huge demand for rock-solid, basic transportation and decided that there are more buyers for this type of product than for a more specialized one. They are correct. Sales figures validate the strategy.

If the generic vehicle doesn't fit your specialized wants that's OK. It cannot meet everyone's requirements.

Neither position is wrong. Your's if perfectly valid for you personally and their's is perfectly valid for a much larger population of buyers. It just so happens that in this instance the two don't intersect. That's OK.
    My "hatred" of Toyota comes purely from the way it is marketed and targeted. It basically is Japanese version of my other least favorite company, General Motors. It really is General Motors of Asia - with one big difference that it's successful. Their entire business model revolves about "give least possible to satisfy most people". It is not a wrong model - just not working for me. I learned long time ago, I'm not "most people", so by definition their vehicles always lack something - it is mostly in the driving sensations themselves and hum-drum interiors.

Even if I somehow could get over their mushy suspensions, and not-so-inspiring interiors (their exterios are OK for me - styling is really low in my priority list), I still can't stand a thought of a visit in an average Toyota store in Florida (never found one I liked - they are on bottom of CR "purchasing experience" for a reason) and their product packaging just drives me nuts. I like vehicles packaged with manual transmissions, all safety features and good but not excessive convenience features. Such vehicles usually don't exist at dealers' lots, even if you could configure them on Toyotas website - and their dealers do absolutely everything to discourage ordering.

On top of that Toyota allows their dealers' groups add those worthless "protection" packages at distribution centers, making them part of Monroney sticker (no other brand does that). A few years ago I was looking at Matrix; wanted base engine, manual tranny, side airbags and ABS. Nope, no car for you. There is no market for $500 side airbags, but surely there was market for $799 Toyoguard crap. Those packages pretty much kill the value, but they shuve them down our throats like they are absolute gold.

So - that is what I mean by "hate" their marketing and despise SET dealers.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Well, then go and vote. If there is enough people like you, i.e. current customers who feel let down and turn away from the brand, I'm sure they'll notice. Being right about the market sentiment is not given forever. Detroit thought they knew it all, even when everybody else already knew they didn't. They eventually got the memo, but look how long it took them to actually understand it. I was let down by my favorite manufacturer, too - so I know exactly what you fell.

I'm not defending them - I'd buy five other cars before I'd buy Corolla, but I'm not "most people". However, ability to see world through somebody else's eyes is very important, even if you completely disagree with their resolve.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

In the birthplace of this car, enthusiast magazines' polls have placed the Corolla either at the top or near the top of "Most Boring Car" or "Most Hated Car" ranking year after year, for so long as I can remember.

And yet the Corolla has been the number one selling car in Japan (excluding kei cars) for 38 consecutive years, except in 2002 when Honda Fit dethroned the Corolla.

I don't know anyone in Japan who actually drives a Corolla, and yet Corollas are everywhere.

This car has been a paradox to me. :confuse:
    The Corolla's fuel economy (for the 1.8L engine) is very good, 30 mpg combined per EPA estimates. But consider that it is an "all new" engine according to Toyota. That makes it ostensibly the most advanced engine in this class. Yet it gets only 1 mpg more than the older design engine in the Civic, which has 140 hp vs. 132 in the Corolla. Even the relatively ancient iron block engine (138 hp) in the Elantra, a mid-sized car, gets 28 mpg overall. So it's not that the Corolla doesn't get good fuel economy--it's just not a big bump over others in this class, especially considering that it's an all-new engine.

I am not sure how you can use reports from Europe that buyers there love their new Corollas to assert that the new Corolla is reliable. How long has the new Corolla been available there? Has it been long enough to establish a reliability record? I think it's likely that the new Corolla will be reliable, but like CR learned to their chagrin with the Camry, I am going to take a "wait and see" approach with new Toyota designs now rather than blindly assuming they will be reliable.

If the new Corolla is indeed the quietest car in its segment, it will be quite an accomplishment. For example, Elantra is extremely quiet, especially the AT model--quieter than even a V6 Accord. If the Corolla can exceed that, it will be the hushmobile of the segment.

Safety-wise, I don't see how the Corolla is an improvement over what is already available in this class. For example, the Civic has similar standard safety features to the Corolla and the Civic gets all Good's in the IIHS tests. The Impreza is an IIHS Top Pick. The Elantra has the Corolla's safety features plus standard 4-wheel discs across the lineup and standard ESC on the SE trim line (widely available, compared to the relative low numbers of Corolla XRS' that will be sold). So the improvements in safety on the 2009 Corolla are welcome, but really a catch-up that is long overdue IMO.

Here is an example that summarizes how I feel about the Corolla. Suppose I am looking for a mid-sized hatchback that gets really high fuel economy. What are my choices right now? There's only one: Prius. So if that's the kind of car I want, I am willing to pay a premium to get a Prius--although not so high a premium that it makes no financial sense to buy one vs. alternatives that have lower fuel economy. Now suppose I am looking for a small economy sedan that is safe, reliable, gets good fuel economy, is comfortable, and is in general a good choice for A-to-B transportation. The Corolla certainly fits that description. But other cars do also, e.g. Civic, Elantra, Mazda3, Sentra, Versa. And some of those offer features or capabilities that the Corolla does not. So I have several good choices, and thus I am not willing to pay a premium for a Corolla if I can buy another car that meets my needs for less money.

I am glad that the new Corolla has improved significantly in:

* Driving position: that was a huge problem before, a blocker issue for me.
    * Safety
    * Availability of high-end features like nav (not a biggie for me, but is for some people).

And there's small improvements in interior room, fuel economy, and a few other things. I guess I expected more after six years. But I didn't get it. Life goes on.
    We live in an era when car companies cannot make so significant improvements in engine technology. All improvements have been made to engines. It is like trying to improve the picture of CRT television. You just cannot!!! Now, plasma and LCD televisions can improve in many way because this technology is still developing.... So, you really cannot blame Toyota that they cannot come up with engine which fuel efficiency is 30-40 percent better that previous generation engines. Toyota at least is trying to come up with something new that has better fuel efficiency. What can I say about the Civic - it has 140hp engine, however the torque is the same as the torque of the Corolla(128). On the top of that, many Civic owners complain about fuel economy of the car......that is lower that advertised....
    I bet not too many (if any) people can tell the difference between 132 and 140hp.

I believe I read an article about Toyota's new laser quality assurance assembly system that they will have for new Corolla in Canadian plant. Article says that the same system will be used in Canadian Lexus plant (these plants are next to each other).
    So, I would say that this is an innovation. Having new process of making sure your product has excellent quality is INNOVATION by all means.

As far as reliability goes, Corolla always has been reliable car. That's why they have sold more than 30 million worldwide!
    I had link from Ireland Toyota website (you can check England or any other European Country) because European Market has much more competitors "fighting" for market share than USA. Only small reliable cars, made with quality materials and providing good fuel economy can succeed on this market.

I agree with you about Elantra. This car has even leather and VSC for about $17-18K; however, people still do not believe in Korean cars. I know that they have improved a lot, but I still prefer to stick to Toyota products.

Toyota means quality/reliability (it might not have the best materials, but Toyota parts almost do not break and have much longer lifespan), Innovation (they always have all contemporary and proven to work futures for their cars), practicality (it is very easy to work on Toyota cars), and comfortable ride.

I cannot wait till February 11, 2008. :):):)
    A newer engine is not just about a higher mileage number. It can also mean a cleaner engine, with fewer CO2 and NOx emissions. If a newer engine gets a, say, 3% increase in fuel efficiency and 15% cleaner in terms of emission, that is a tremendous accomplishment as far as engineering of a thermally highly inefficient contraption called internal combusion engine.

I don't remember how much cleaner this new 1.8 L engine is versus the previous generation, but I remember at the initial release in Japan that Toyota announced that this was a whole lot cleaner engine than the old ones. Maybe people wouldn't care because reduced CO2 and NOx feels far less tangible in the near term than a better MPG. But in the long run, we should be grateful.
    According to Tim Morrison, marketing manager, Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc. the all new 1.8 Dual VVT-i engine will be certified ULEV-II by CARB (California Air Resources Board). CARB's standards are some of the strictest in the world.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Thanks! I finally found their site and transcript at PBS. If you look just for "Motorweek", you can't find it!

It's show #2718 and should be available online in a couple of weeks, looks like.
    I thought I saw someplace that the 1.8L AT will be available in a PZEV version, likely only in the CAFE states. However, that is becoming more common now (e.g. Elantra's AT comes in PZEV also) as is ULEV-II (ala Civic).
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    I have never liked small cars, but when my 16 year old daughter began driving in 2003, I bought her a Corolla. I figured she could get some driving experience before she drove it off to college, and we would feel better about her safety on the road. She was involved in a collision with a 25 year old, 4000 lb. Oldsmobile at an intersection. She was struck by a red light runner about even with the left front wheel at about 40 mph. The Corolla suffered tremendous damage requiring that everything from the firewall forward be replaced. It took 3 months and about $9000 in parts to make the car like new again. What impressed me about it is that no one in my daughter's car was even slightly injured. Modern car designs are such that the vehicle is sacrificed to save the occupants. I never imagined it would be so effective. I thank God and Toyota for my daughter's life, but would probably never buy another one so small. If you live in a country where everyone is driving a small car, then maybe it would be alright. Imagine the result of a collision between a Ford Excursion and a Toyota Corolla or comparable small car... No thanks. :sick:
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Backy, please give me an example where other manufacturer have done better job? Let's not talk about hybrids or diesels!

New Mazda2 (Demio) is larger, lighter, more powerful and obtains greater mpg.

New Mazda6 is larger, lighter, more powerful and obtains greater mpg.

Two examples for you dchev. Toyota could have made the Corolla lighter.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Well, if the weight gain yields benefits in structrual rigidity - which according several reviews, it has, then I think it an acceptable gain given that the new Corolla is still one of the lighter vehicles in its class. I'd like to see the Corolla acheive a "Good" rating for structural integrity in the IIHS side impact (and obviously a "Good" overall mark in that test). Very few of the Corolla's peers have acheived a "Good" for structure.

backy - I understand many of your points, but I still think you're focusing on raw feature count vs. execution. Sure, the Elantra has rear disc brakes. But if the Corolla with drums can stop shorter, what do the rear disc brakes matter? It's fantastic that VSC is standard on the Elantra's upper trim lines, so I get that. But we don't know how many Corollas will actually be built with VSC, so its hard to say which vehicle will actually lead in terms of % produced with this feature. And, it's still not offered on some primary competitors, like the new for 2006 Civic or the new for 2007 Sentra.

I also think its an erroneous assumption that the Corolla's engine is the most advanced in the class simply because it's labeled 'all-new". Perhaps if it had direct injection or something, but engines like the one in Honda's Civic are just as advanced. The bottom line is that the new engine offers 6% more power than previously and improves fuel economy in a vehicle that is heavier and roomier than previously. I don't find anything wrong with that.

And, one thing that the Corolla offers moreso than several competitors is choice. There's more trim lines, more available features, and more powertrain combinations. I don't think thats a bad thing either.

Overall, I think its erroneous to dismiss the Corolla simply because it doesn't "redefine" the segment, which it seems is where you set your expectation. Especially with none of us having driven it...
    VSC has been extremely difficult or impossible to get in many regions of the US even on the Toyota Camry (unless you get a fully loaded $30K+ XLE V6), so that hints at what availability will be in the lower cost Corolla.