Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• pks222pks222 Member Posts: 12
    In light of the 09's coming out early, will toyota sweeten the rebates on the 08's to move them?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Probably not. Toyota's planning is nearly perfect in every model changeover. They stopped producing the current gen Corolla in Nov/Dec. The dealers knew this and knew that they should have the last 08s gone by next week when the 09s arrive.

Most well run stores are down to their last 4 or 5 or 6 units just as the new batch of 09s start to arrive. For Toyota there's no reason to sweeten the incentives. They're done with those models. What the individual dealers do is dependent on how they've been moving the old Corolla in the last several months.

This is why Toyota and its dealers are so successful and the others are not. Planning and inventory control are a science that Toyota has mastered,.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    Why the obsession with the stupid clock. The clock is probably the least significant thing on any vehicle. So what difference does it make where it is located.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There's a very poorly-run Toyota dealer in my area, then. Today they advertised a lease special on the '08 Corolla and noted they have 55 to choose from. They'll have to move fast to sell those by next week! ;) Another dealer advertised a similar lease special, but at $10 less per month, but didn't say how many units they had left. So there may be some bargains out there for people who want a '08 Corolla.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    They only allow me to pay at the MSRP, since it's a new model.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I don't know. Why all the obsession with where the clock is?
    :)
    Mack
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    I don't know it just seems weird to have a clock near the spedometer and tachometer when it is usually near the dash board.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Designers get bored. How much can you change from a good design of a dash? They are creative folks and get fustrated. I see it with architects all the time where curves, lots of glass, and large lobbies (none of which is cheap or generates revenue) keep getting hoisted onto owners. Just look at the Scion xD, with the counter rotating tach in the same binnacle as the speedometer. Or the xB with cabin centered gauges. Or the Civic with the two tier analog/digital theme.

I wouldn't get fixated on it, but a center dash mounted clock makes more sense to me (allows all occupants to view it and keeps it out of the drivers focus when he/she needs to know what the car is doing). However I didn't like the dim little digital clock in my three Toyotas.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Thanks for the pricing information.

This looks a bit more promising than I'd imagined, still its about a $1500 increase for a LE with automatic (based on Edmunds TMV in my area with current incentives for a 2008).
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870

Yep, 62 2008 Corollas at the local dealership. I don't know a time when they have ever had this many.

This is why Toyota and its dealers are so successful and the others are not. Planning and inventory control are a science that Toyota has mastered,.

For 2007 Toyota had lower customer satisfaction than Buick and Mercury, Is this another science that Toyota has mastered?

quote ASCI - Four other companies tied with a score of 86: Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln/Mercury (both owned by Ford) and BMW.

Toyota dropped three points from 87 to 84. The survey suggests that poor customer service and a number of recalls over the past year are to blame for the fall. Rounding out the bottom of the list is Jeep,-end

Lexus was number 1.
    completely different subject.

And Toyota has the highest retention rating of all mainstream dealers. Go figure. The buyers come in are so-so about the experience, buy and just keep coming back. Volume continues to grow, profits continue apace. Weird don't ya think?
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Maybe,it makes the car look richer,especialy in the LE w/ wood . (FAUX)
    What's a Corolla XRS, and how can I see one w/leather and heated seats? :confuse:
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    I just received a call from my local Toyota dealer here in the SF Bay Area advising that the new '09 Corolla's are now in stock. I plan to either go tonight or tomorrow for a test drive! The long wait is finally over. :)
    Cool! Please give us a review of the car after you see it and drive it. We got our first Matrix 09 today. At first glance it looked just like the old one but if you look carefully you can see the difference. This one is a base model with the power package, all weather guard, and VSC. $19,950.00
    Can't wait for the new Corolla although I know it will be in the next couple of weeks. Dealers in Ca always get the new product first. :(
    62 Corollas is really not that many. Depending on the size and market of a particular store it could be more or it could be less. We are a medium size store and usually stock about 40 at any given time. Right now we are down to 15 or 20 I haven't gone out there and done a count since we have them in the front of the showroom and some out back. Just check out Longo Toyota in El Monte Ca. they show 97 Corollas in stock as of today. They are the largest Toyota dealer in the US and abroad.
    :)
    When is Toyota going to update their website with the 09 Matrix and Corolla?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe when all or most dealers have them instead of just a few dealers.
    They are both on there now. Been there since the SEMA show.link title
    Mack
    No, I know that already. I meant when will they replace the 08 corolla and matrix with the 09 models on their website.
    Probably around mid Feb since that's the official release date.
    Mack
    I finally got to test drive the all new 2009 Corolla this morning. It was an LE w/optional 16" alloy wheels and 6 disc CD changer. Overall, I came away pretty impressed with this car. The all new 1.8 liter Dual VVT-i engine is very refined and quiet. The engine matched up very well with the automatic tranny. I'm really thankful for the telescopic steering wheel. Very good fit/finish. The car is also very quiet inside which I really appreciated. I'd say Toyota did a great job. I was very pleased! :)
    We got two silver LE's today. I haven't driven one yet since they just rolled off the truck. Will have to wait till tomorrow or Thursday. My observations are that it will probably drive just like the Scion xD since they now share the same drivetrain. The xD is quieter than the current Corolla so I would expect the 09 to be just as quiet. I do have to say this; I am very disappointed in the interior. The dash, door panels, center console, are all made of the cheap hard plastic we've been talking about here. Matter of fact sitting on the driver's seat is like sitting on a four door Yaris. You'd swear they took the same dash and controls and slapped it on the Corolla.
    The exterior is ho-hum. It actully looks better in the pictures than in person. Who knows maybe the S and XRS will look better. :(
    Mackabee
    I appreciate your forthrightness. Don't you wonder why Toyota can do such a good job on engines, noise supression, and ride smoothness but not spend a few more bucks so the interiors don't look cheap (and I'm including the Yaris and to some extent the Camry there)? Why do we have to buy a Lexus to get a nice interior from Toyota? I mean, with the new Corolla we are talking about a car that can easily top $20,000.
    ...It's the same .. only different. :surprise:

Without close inspection one might not know that this Gen10 is not a Gen9. Look quick and ...

However that being said it is not at all the same vehicle. It's not even close. First it is a lot roomier inside, especially shoulder-to-shoulder. When parked next to the Gen9 it seems more substantial. The Gen9 has a higher roofline and has gobs of head room inside if you don't mind rubbing shoulders. I also parked it next to a 2001 Camry LE that we had just traded in. It's nearly the same size with two key styling differences; the A-pillar & windshield are raked much more making the hood shorter but the cabin longer in front. The trunk in the Gen10 Corolla is higher but shorter than that of the Gen4 Camry. Both are the same width and height but the seating position in the Corolla is higher. From 200,000+ miles in the Gen4 Camry one had to squat to get into the driver's seat.

The new 1.8L is much much different than that in the Gen9. The prior 1.8L is very torquey and frankly loud/harsh. The new VVT-i by comparison has a low buzz which isn't as intrusive. It's not quite as torqey I think. The handling was quiet and tight as would be expected....dead silent at cruising speed while hugging the inside line on curves at 60-65 mph.

The interior is, eh. It's a $20700 vehicle, it's not a $25000 or $30000 vehicle, it's roughly the same as my $21000 Camry back in 1997....with a ton of features that I never had in my '97 or 2000 Camry's. The seating and steering wheel position is world's better than the last Gen Corolla. The trunk in this model is a lot bigger as well. This new model has 6 A/B, Moonroof, Alloys, VSC/Trac, spoiler, ABS/BA/EBD, XM+AUX, more power and better fuel economy than either the last gen Corolla or my '97 or 2000 Camry's.

Summary: Exciting? Not really.......... Stunning? Nope.............. Value? Everywhere...I think it will sell like mad.

Normal disclaimer: ;) :shades:
    The '09 Corolla LE I test drove this morning did have very good fit and finish but a lot of the interior plastics were hard. I haven't heard any complaints about this yet from overseas since the same Corolla is being sold worldwide. It seems like all cars today are using hard plastics in their interiors. To me, the '09 Corolla interior is still aesthetically pleasing. Overall, I really like what I saw today.
    Your review is right on! The all new 1.8 engine is waaayyy more refined compared to the 9th gen 1.8 engine. Cruising is very mellow and relaxing. And yes, I too think it will sell incredibly well. The trunk seemed very roomy. The seating and steering wheel position is definitely world's better than the 9th gen.
    Unless there was some large price increase similarly equipped, there is no reason to not expect it to sell at least as well as the old model.
    I'm still disappointed in this car because the 4 speed was described as high revving at highway speeds and felt like it needed to upshift into overdrive.
    You can get a 5-speed automatic on the XRS, but then you get a bigger engine that uses significantly more gas.
    In reality it's still a $15k vehicle. An automatic xD base is $15970.00 and has more features, more comfortable seats, and not as much hard plastic as the new Corolla. I still don't see this car overtaking the Champ Camry in sales. Why would anyone pay $18,850 for an LE with alloys, no moonroof, no power drivers seat, when they can get a Camry CE or LE for around that price ;) ?
    Mack
    It's not a high revving engine. The tester might had had it on 3 instead of D. With the gated shifter it's possible for this to happen. Customer think he's in D and actually in third gear hence high revs.
    Mack
    On the highway it feels like the transmission, although in drive, was left in an intermediate ratio. It sounds like the engine wants to be shifted up, except there’s nothing more up to shift up to.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCorolla/Index2009.htm

I wonder what the RPMS are running at 70 MPH in 4th on the Corolla and how that compares to the 5th gear on a Civic?

It doesn't sound like this will be the best small sedan for cruising long distances at highway speeds. I'm sure you can crank up the stereo to drown out the noise, but I'd rather have a relaxed overdrive 5th gear.
    Or maybe a loaded-up Sonata (re an earlier post that the Corolla competes with the Sonata)? The 2009 Corolla looks like a nice car for $15-16k. For near $20k, I'd go with a mid-sized car with more room, comfort, and features than the Corolla.
    The standard model, of which we have 3, is right at $16000...

The key demographic group(s) to capture is the satisfied repeat Corolla buyers which may just opt for the $17000 standard AT version like they always have and the ones who are finishing up on their Gen4 Camrys. The new Camry is priced in the $22000-$25000 range for the most popular trims. Someone looking to avoid sticker shock and still get good value can get into this mini-Camry for $20000 or less.

As to it surpassing the Camry I think it all depends on the price of fuel. If fuel spikes to $4 - $6 in the near term all small vehicles will prosper to the detriment of the bigger ones. The midsizers will gain some - and lose some - but the smaller ones will gain huge volumes. If fuel stays at about $3 for the next 5 years, which I doubt sincerely, then nothing much will change from today.
    What equipment does that $16k car have? AT? Power package? Keyless entry? Cruise? Probably the base stereo and plastic wheel covers, right? And no VSC I suspect.

A Corolla for $16k with all of the above plus alloys, fog lamps, and some interior accoutrements like rear center armrest, leather steering wheel, satellite radio would be a real good buy in this class. If it's a stripped car for $16k though, then I'd either go for a competitor with more equipment, or even a mid-sized car that has most if not all of that equipment. Since I only drive less than 10k miles a year, I can afford 10% less fuel economy, even at $5 a gallon.
    I'll let you know tomorrow or Thursday. I have a ct scan in the morning and won't be done until 12:30 or so. It's also my day off but a customer is calling me tomorrow to let me know what color she wants her Scion xD in. The engine in the new Corolla is quieter than the old 1.8l with VVT-I must be the new DUAL VVT-i at work. \
    Mack
    It's a "strippy"/ It probably has the all weather guard package and the EV am/fm6cd with 6 speakers. Or maybe just the standard am/fm cd player. $16,050. base price not including destination. So now you're looking at $16,710.00 plus any options, tag, title, license and processing fee (where permitted by law) This is more than the 08 CE with power locks, mirrors, and power windows, Of course now you have ABS and six airbags standard on all 09 Corolla trims and that is important to lots of people. We will sell everyone of them I'm just not too excited. It's kind of a letdown.
    If it's a stripped car for $16k though, then I'd either go for a competitor with more equipment, or even a mid-sized car that has most if not all of that equipment. Since I only drive less than 10k miles a year, I can afford 10% less fuel economy, even at $5 a gallon

Yes I know that you would prefer a competing product as we've had this discussion over and over on both the Camry and now the Corolla boards. Yes there are lower prices for the same equipment available from Hyundai but there are only so many Hyundais that can be sold.

Soon the production at the Hyundai plants will be maxxed out and Toyota will be able to sell the remainder of what is an increasingly huge market. This is good for everybody. Hyundai gets to sell all the vehicles it wants at prices ranging from $13000-$20000 and Toyota gets to sell what it wants at prices ranging from $16000-$22000. The world is in balance.

Having multiple options to offer the customer is a good thing as well. Being able to offer them all the options being discussed herein at prices from $13000 - $24000 is a huge benefit.
    Yep, it's a basic 1.8L 5M strippie with nothing in it..mats...at just over $16000 MSRP.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Still no power windows or locks at $16K, right? The other dealer near me ordered a standard model with automatic for their first '09 Corolla. It is an automatic with sticker of $17,5ish, including a $640 option package that adds in the windows and locks. Hideous little plastic wheel covers, no cruise, and all. Even if I will be able to buy this car for $15,5 by spring, the competition is singing a seductive tune...

I AM curious to see if I can get an XRS with moonroof (stick shift) for $20K. I don't want NAV or Bluetooth, just the moonroof. If I can get that at $20K, it is a marginally better deal than the Civic SI, although I might still go the extra $1K and get the Honda.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Since the public doesn't have options pricing quite yet, and I think Toyota's press release is intentionally confusing or just poorly done.... can one of our friends here help me understand how this vehicle is priced?

I have three theorethical Corollas which I'm curious about, and in terms of competitive vehicles, I'm thinking of the Civic LX and EX with the first two, and the Mazda 3s with the third.

Can you provide the price for:

1) Corolla LE 4A with cruise control and all-weather
    2) Corolla XLE 4A with moonroof, alloys, VSC (not available Civic EX), stereo upgrade
    3) Corolla XRS 5M with moonroof, leather, stereo upgrade

Nippon - Its interesting that you are comparing the Corolla XRS to the Civic Si, IMHO. I see the Corolla XRS as more of a competitor to the likes of the aforementioned Mazda 3s, Sentra SE-R (non Spec-V), and Subaru Impreza 2.5i....

I think the likes of the Civic Si, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, MazdaSpeed 3, etc.... are on a different performance tier...at least in my perception (and perhaps I'm going on hp requirements of greater than 190....)

Thanks in advance!
    The exact combinations of extras are not available yet but the closest ones out there are

LE 4AT 1838, CK, CL, EM, KE, LE, VS.......... @ $18404
    XLE 4AT 1840, CK, CL, SR, AW, VS, EJ........ @ $21419
    XRS 5MT 1835, CK SR, LA, EJ, PO............... @ $23645

EM is the heated outside mirrors
    KE is keyless entry
    EJ is the JBL 6CD w/ BT
    Well, I am comparing the Corolla XRS and Civic SI partly because they are both the top-of-the-line performance trims for their respective models. But also, I consider the SI to be kind of a "tweener" - the others you mentioned (Spec V, Speed3) are significantly faster in a straight line, while the SI is perhaps the superlative handler of the bunch.

Toyota had better hope that its Corolla XRS is not viewed as competing with Mazda3s, Sentra SER, and Impreza 2.5i, because all of them without exception cost a LOT less than the XRS will. I think they needed to extract 180 hp from that Camry engine (and add a 6MT) to make a real go of a new XRS trim. As it is, I don't imagine they will sell many, just like last time.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, I am comparing the Corolla XRS and Civic SI partly because they are both the top-of-the-line performance trims for their respective models. But also, I consider the SI to be kind of a "tweener" - the others you mentioned (Spec V, Speed3) are significantly faster in a straight line, while the SI is perhaps the superlative handler of the bunch.

Toyota had better hope that its Corolla XRS is not viewed as competing with Mazda3s, Sentra SER, and Impreza 2.5i, because all of them without exception cost a LOT less than the XRS will. I think they needed to extract 180 hp from that Camry engine (and add a 6MT) to make a real go of a new XRS trim. As it is, I don't imagine they will sell many, just like last time.

Keyboard got a stuck key? 10 repeats--I think that is some sort of record for Town Hall ! ;)
    I don't frequent the Camry boards so I don't know what you mean there, but keep in mind that the Corolla isn't just competing against a Hyundai. If a stripped Corolla is close to $17k, and a well-equipped automatic about $20k, then the Corolla will find itself competing against a whole slew of cars, both in the compact class and larger, which offer either a lower price with similar equipment, or more equipment for the same price. For people who just gotta have a 'rolla, that won't matter. But many others will start looking at alternatives once they see the stickers I think. Lots of good cars out there to choose from these days. There is also the used option, e.g. those who want high fuel economy in a Toyota can buy a low-mileage Prius for less than a comparably-equipped Corolla, and it will have more room and versatility, and better fuel economy, than the Corolla.
    No the site was jammed up. It look like none of the posts were going through.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    kdh- for those of us who don't know (me! :) ), what are all the other codes listed?

(as in... CK, CL, LE, PO, LA)

and is 1835 the XRS 5MT or 5A?

nippon - sorry that I don't know what all those codes are, but after I understand that, I'll be able to compare the aforementioned XRS with a similar Mazda 3s.....

thanks, by the way, kdhspyder
    pressed "post" a couple of times, but I don't think I did it ten times! I was in the middle of something else, so I was visiting occasionally to see if it was finished yet. Sorry about that! I would delete them if I could...