Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There's two rationales...both have to do with making money not surprisingly.

Why so many al a carte 'toys'? As noted above that's what generates buyer enthusiasm in the largest segment of buyers. Look at Ford's humping of SYNCH. It sells. They turnover of the SYNCH models is significantly shorter than the ones not equipped with it.

There are a lot of safety-conscious buyers too but that equipment has all the excitement of a good biology text. I think that Toyota and others got quite a surprise when the Prius took off and a lot of the buzz was over 'Prius toys'. 'Flash' sells.

As to why even offer the option of thses geegaws? I'm postulating that it's because Toyota expects that during this Gen's lifetime that fuel is going to skyrocket and this segment will become the 'hot' one as more and more people try to downsize to save fuel costs. THEN at that point our econoboxes might begin to approach the Euro versions.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    And a Civic Si ISN'T an ultra small volume trim of what is also a basic people mover? I'm glad there's no question that the Si is a better car, but to say that the XRS isn't Toyota's half-assed attempt at trying to make a sport trim for their basic econobox is asinine. It has SPORT seats, a SPORT strut tower brace, blacked out SPORT grille, a spoiler and SPORT rocker moldings, larger alloy wheels & tires, more power and better brakes than the lower trim levels, or even the XLE model. Don't blame me or C&D for thinking Toyota came up short on what was intended to be a "sport" trim level and has been in past Corolla generations.

Toyota charges too much for delivering too little, but as you pointed out, that won't stop what is a mediocre car from becoming a sales success, for a while at least. That there is no comparison is Toyota's fault and, for what is a new car, I haven't read a single article that implies the Corolla is remotely the sort of innovative and original design that the 8th generation Civic was (and is) in its class. Rather, it is an also-ran and one that could be interpreted as another instance of Toyota becoming complacent, thinking that anything they make, even if the quality is slipping (recalls) or the features and design are second to their competition, they can sell all they make, no questions asked.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There are a lot of safety-conscious buyers too but that equipment has all the excitement of a good biology text.

Since when has the Corolla been about excitement? A little less excitement, and a little more basic small car goodness would be real welcome, to me. Like the Corolla of the mid-'90s--the one that was a class leader in refinement and quality.
    What you continue to miss is this. The XRS is not intended to capture the bulk of the boy-racer subsegment. Yes it's the sporty version of a very mundane people mover. It's intended to appeal to the buyers that are turned off by the boy-racer image but they still want something a little sporty.

That there is no comparison in handling is intentional. You continue to miss this point as well. Everything has its rightful place in the universe. The Si and the 3 and the other boy-racer models have their place and the XRS has it's place. Everything is in balance in the universe and everybody is happy. You will not be an XRS owner and all the XRS's will be sold.

Your opinion about the success or lack thereof regarding the Corolla is noted and will be given the appropriate consideration. In the meanwhile each vehicle has it's place and the small number of XRS's will be sold and make money as they should. That's all that can be said. In the end it's only about money. If you feel it's overpriced but someone coming down from an Explorer doesn't think so, actually thinks it's a bargain, guess what his money means more than your opinion.
    Sorry the Corolla of the mid 90's was an awful, tiny, loud econobox with no safety features and nothing anywere near the capability of this last Gen9. We'll see about this Gen10. It has a difficult act to follow.

The basic 97-98 VE 1.5L, 3 speed auto was one horrible little vehicle; no AC, no CC, manual everything, AM/FM only, low to the ground and no safety features at all - none. The current basic Yaris is better.

What little excitement this mundane segment can generate will created by the boy-racer models and the new 'toys' for people rediscovering the segment. Maybe at some time this segment will approach the overall quality and depth of its European cousin.
    I was actually thinking of the Gen 7 Corolla, 1993-97, which offered an all-new 1.8L engine with 115 hp on the DX and LE trims (very competitive power for that time), driver's and passenger's front airbags and optional ABS (very good safety equipment for its time, when no compacts offered side/curtain airbags or standard ABS, except the Civic EX had std. ABS), very tasteful (IMO) exterior and interior styling, with quality cloth and padded plastic surfaces, a standard 5MT and optional 4AT on the DX and LE (same as what is offered for 2009 on the LE and XLE), front disc and rear drum brakes (same as today), fully independent suspension (which we don't get on the 2009 Corolla), and there was even an optional integrated child safety seat (unique for its class) and a wagon variant. By the end of 1997, the Corolla had become the #1 selling nameplate of all time. With cars like the 1993-97 Corolla, it's easy to see why.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    What's interesting was that I almost bought a 1998 Corolla LE sedan back in 1998, but Toyota dealers back then weren't willing to give a decent discount on pricing. The LE model had decent power, a reasonably smooth-shifting 4AT transmission, and comfortable seating.
    Amazing what a little competition will do, eh? ;)

The 1998-2002 Corolla was a nice car, smooth and quiet for its time and without the driving position problem of its successor. But it had a really tight back seat, which struck it off my list when I bought a small car in 2000. The 2009 is improved there, still not near the best in class but better. And as we know, large discounts are already available. :)
    Yep the situation in the economy is forcing every maker / dealer / salesperson to accept the fact of 'No discount / No Sale'. Essentially every vehicle in the entire lineup is a give away except maybe for the Prius which still outturns every other vehicle Toyota makes despite its being in its 5th year. That's due of course to fuel being $3.25-$4.00 in most parts of the country.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    1995 with 1.8L, ABS, Sunroof (metal), 4 speed automatic w/overdrive. I purchased in January 1996 and it stayed in the family for over 125,000 trouble free miles. It was very quiet and nothing else in it's price range offered the same technology and refinement. Interior materials were much nicer than the 1999 I purchased that I was constantly frustrated with as I felt it was clearly inferior to the 1995 in driving position, interior materials and overall execution.

1993-1997 was best in class and while Corolla has never been bad since, it has not impressed vs. the competition as the 1995 did since that 1993-1997 generation.

I would love to see a wagon offered in the 2009 version. I'm not too fond of the Matrix styling and the plastic hatch floor area of the Matrix.
  • echo2001echo2001 Member Posts: 17
    Just got my corolla 09 sport last week couldn't get any discount from the dealer but the car is awesome smooth and quiet gas mileage is great
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    S is discounted over $2,000 in Chicago area for a typically equipped S, what are of the country are you in that dealer will not discount?
  • wc1wc1 Member Posts: 11
    Doesn't matter what area of the country. If you are anywhere in the US except Hawaii, it would have paid you to somehow get to Fitzmall and take their $2600 discount on their typical S and drive it home. 2.9% for 60 months makes this car a great deal.
    well, I am in canada we have discounts on 08 models not 09
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The clock was super annoying even though I only had the car for a few days.

Check this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhcQKtnfrkw

It is an asinine design. It wouldn't have been quite as bad if you could cycle through the displays with steering wheel controls, but you can't even do that. I had to stick my hand through the steering wheel to reach the little push stalk to switch the outputs.
    Very awkward and unsafe to change the display while driving. Even peering through the steering wheel to check the time on the little, tiny LCD is awkward even if you always leave it set on the clock and give up viewing outside temp and other functions.

Why the clock wasn't put into the radio if they they didn't want to have a dedicated clock display (like the Camry) is anybody's guess.
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    First impression from the 30 minute drive home. Smooth and roomy. Felt like my 1994 Camry LE. Which by the why my daughter owns it now with 150,000 miles. If anyone is considering buying now you get some great deals. Mine was had for $2269.00 under MSRP plus 0% for 3 years. I also test drove the 2008 Civic LX. Sportier look but not as comfortable or quiet as the Corolla.

1994 Camry LE 2009 Corolla LE
    Wheel Base 103.1 inches 102.4 inches
    Overall Length 187.8 inches 178.7 inches
    Width 69.7 inches 69.3 inches
    Height 55.1 inches 57.7 inches
    Curb Weight 3086 lbs. 2745 lbs.

Keep you posted.
  • smparker2smparker2 Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking online for some heavy duty car mats. I can't find any for 2009 Corolla. Does anyone know if the 2008 Mats will fit.

Thanks.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I am sure Toyota has all-weather mats available, which are good. The other good ones are Weather-Tech, but I am not sure they are available yet, since the '09 is all-new.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Sorry to butt in, but I just wanted to say I can vouch for the rear seating on the 8th generation. If I had to sit back there all the time I wouldn't be able to stand it for long. For me, though, being the sole occupant most of the time when I wasn't ferrying Mother to dialysis, it was - and is - the perfect-sized compact car, especially for a single person. And you'd be surprised how many houseplants fit back there.

I do praise No. 9 for having a higher seating position, though. Easier on the back and feels less like a coupe, in my opinion.
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    One dealer told me they wouldn't fit because the whole body style has been changed. Are you looking for heavy duty rubber mats, or carpeted mats.They are out there for 2009.. My car came with the front, back, and cargo carpeted mat. I intend to buy a set of clear plastic mats to go over those to preserve them, especially in the wet seasons.

This place has a pretty good line up of 2009 accessories, including carpet and rubber mats.

http://www.toyotatrdparts.com/?gclid=CMvqlLnl4ZICFRaQggod5EDb-A

Also look on ebay. Just do a search for 2009 Toyota Corolla and it will take you to ebay motors. I've seen all kinds of mats there. If you don't see them the first time, keep checking. There are new deals everyday.

Here's another place that has mats and other accessories:

http://www.toyotaofgrapevine-parts.com/MC-DCIC-CD.aspx

If you want a spoiler the best place to go is:

http://www.spoilersource.com

They match the factory color and it's free shipping and no tax. I am very happy with mine and they were a good deal.

Whatever you buy check several sites, and compare price and shipping charges.
    Hi Mackabee, i have a question for you since you work in a dealer, I bought my new 09 corolla and they installed a third party (AST) remote start / alarm which worked well in the first 2 weeks but started to over crank the engine after that, I asked the dealer so he referred me to the third party person who installed the system, i called him and asked him to remove the system from my car , he did. when i went back to the dealer asking for a refund he wouldn't give me and he want to install another third party system? they charged me $900 for that alarm - a rip off what should I do? Thanks\
    :sick:
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Oh echo you didn't!! I keep saying, don't buy third party alarms/remote engine starters. If something goes wrong and it causes other parts of your car to malfunction Toyota may not cover the repair.
    900 bucks is a lot of money. You shouldn't spend more than 3-6 hundred for such a system.
    The Corolla has a factory/dealer installed optional remote engine starter for 529.00 MSRP. I would talk to the service manager and ask them to install the factory one and refund you the difference. If that doesn't work then talk to the customer relations manager at the dealership. If they don't have one then call 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and have them open up a case number. Tell them what happened and what you want done. They will contact the dealership and someone will call you to make things right. If you haven't received the survey yet than hold it over their heads and tell them if you don't get any satisfaction TMS USA will hear about it. Surveys have gotten to be at the top of the list for dealerships as they affect everyone in the pocket book. Let us know how it goes. One more thing, which trim level Corolla did you get? S, LE, XLE, ?
    Mack
    :shades:
    Echo, one other thing. I asked about the trim level as the Corolla S, LE, and XLE have a standard anti-theft system with engine immobilizer. I would just go ahead and get the factory remote engine start and hit them for the difference.
    Mack :shades:
    Don't forget small claims court after you have exhausted other means.I don't know where you live but in CA you have one year to file and can sue up to $10,000 now. Be sure to keep every receipt and keep a log in a little note book of how it started and everything you have done, dates and times, etc. Nobody should allow themselves to be ripped off. :mad: . Good luck.
    Thanks Mackabee, Mine is sport model, and i am located in canada. I will check to see if there is a factory autostart at my dealer but i don't think they will refund me the difference but i will do my best and open a case.
    Thanks jilliew, I live in canada so i am not sure if procedures are a bit different than the states but i will check
    You're welcome. Please let us know how it goes.
    :)
    Mack
  • joycen4joycen4 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is located?
  • broadkenbroadken Member Posts: 1
    Hi, where can i get the alarm if not from the dealer?
    My dealer offer me alarm 560$
    I am not sure it is good or not.
    Anything I should be careful about that since I am first time new car buyer
    Look at the window sticker, if you have an LE, XLE, or S model it already comes with an alarm.
    Mack
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Frontal Impact
    Driver: 4 stars
    Passenger: 4 stars

Side Impact
    Front: 5 stars
    Rear: 4 stars
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's disappointing especially in a smaller car where even 5 stars is less safe than 5 stars in a larger car. The crash test scores of 4 leave more to be desired.
    I always give more credence to the IIHS tests because they are more thorough and much harder. The NHTSA tests are at least 30 yrs out of date and are soon to be changed because by the Agency's own admission they don't correlate well with real world crash results.

Awaiting IIHS results.............
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    the prior model could achieve 5 stars on Driver & Passenger frontal crash test.
    IIHS says that the dummy's head hit hard on the steering wheel.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=928

Camry is like a tank and it scores exceptionally well on both NHTSA and IIHS (achieved impressive rating "good" on side impact structural). Maybe my expectation is too high on mini-camry!
    Jeeez! Nothing pleases you about the 09 Corolla huh?
    Mack
    http://www.toyotatrdparts.com/?gclid=CMvqlLnl4ZICFRaQggod5EDb-A

Look under Corolla and you will find a bunch of accessories, including the alarm under
    I don't think it's too much to expect the new, improved Corolla to at least match the crash performance of its predecessor. While I also put more emphasis on the IIHS tests, it''s disquieting to think that the driver's (dummy's) head hit the wheel even on the less-severe NHTSA frontal test. But the side test results were good. We'll see how it does on the tougher IIHS tests.
  • dd974dd974 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2009 "S" last Friday, 4/25 it doesn't have an alarm system....rather it has a fake security light blinking on the dash. Two different dealerships told me it wasn't a real security system. There's no mention of any such system on the sticker.
    Try this: leave the driver's window open. Lock the car with the remote. Reach in and unlock the door manually and open it, and see what happens. Or try opening the door with the key. If there's really an alarm, it should go off.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Toyota "fake blinking light" standard on LE/S/XLE is an immobilizer. It requires that you have the correct chipped key in the ignition in order for the engine to fire, and the blinking light signifies that it is armed. (It is armed all the time that the key is not in the ignition, regardless of whether the car is locked or open)

It is not an alarm system. I have the same system in my Matrix.

You can get a break-in sensor from Toyota which includes its own siren that will go off if glass is broken or a door is opened while the system is armed. That will cost you around $300 from the dealer, installed. You could also go aftermarket and probably save half the cost, but might end up with other complications.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Look on the window sticker under the standard equipment column under safety features. You should see "engine immobilizer with alarm"
    Mack :shades:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "It's disappointing especially in a smaller car where even 5 stars is less safe than 5 stars in a larger car."

Why is a large car with 5 stars safer than a small car with 5 stars?
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Here is a copy from NHTSA's safecar.gov website:

Side crash rating results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same force by the same moving barrier.

Rollover ratings can also be compared across all classes.

Frontal crash rating results can only be compared to other vehicles in the same class and whose weight is plus or minus 250 lbs of the vehicle being rated. This is so because a frontal crash rating into a fixed barrier represents a crash between two vehicles of the same weight. Examples:

It would not be permissible to compare the frontal crash results of a 4,500 lb SUV with those of a 3,000 sedan (different classes and exceeds the weight requirement).

It would not be permissible to compare the frontal crash results of a 3,600 lb pickup with those of a 3,400 lb van (meets the weight requirement, but different classes).

It would be correct to compare the frontal crash results of a 3,400 lb passenger car with a 3650 lb passenger car (same class and meets the weight requirement).
    Imagine a 5-star big car (say 4000 pounds) hitting a 5-star small car (say 2500 pounds) head-on at 40 mph (which the NHTSA crash test simulates) You have 2500 pounds hitting what is in effect a deformable wall weighing 4000 pounds. You have a 4000 pound car hitting what is in effect a deformable wall that weighs only 2500 pounds. Which car do you think would fare better in the crash?

This is why the NHTSA and IIHS caution that frontal crash test results should only be compared for cars of similar weight.
    The 09 Corolla xle is the one with the immobilizer system and alarm. Toyota's website lists the LE, S, and XRS as having both also. I looked at the window stickers today and they only list the immobilizer. My apologies if my info caused inconveniences.
    Mack
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has one of those mini-drives of an '09 Corolla on their website right now, and the one they drove was an XRS, on which power windows and keyless entry were added in an optional package. Can it be true that the top of the line Corolla has hand crank windows and no keyless unless you pay for optional equipment?

They also list it as being AWD, which I believe is not available, so maybe they were having an off day altogether with pricing and specs....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bits4brainsbits4brains Member Posts: 11
    It's on the bottom of the engine in the back. See here for pictures: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244334

Toyota seems to be moving away from spin-on oil filters in favor of the cartidge arrangement with the replacement element that the '09 Corolla 1.8 uses (the current Tundra has this too).
    Sales on the 2009 Corolla are kind of interesting I think... including the Matrix, sales were flat in April compared to 2007. In March they were down about 20% from 2007, and they're down about 30k overall in 2008 compared to 2007. But some other small cars, e.g. Yaris, Focus, Elantra, were way up in sales in April. Could it mean that 32K/month is close to the production limit for the Corolla/Matrix, or are more buyers choosing to turn to other, less expensive small cars to ease their gas price pains in this tough economy?
    08 Ramp down / 09 Ramp up....

In this way excess inventory rarely ever exists....excess inventory is a Mortal Sin at Toyota.

In the long term these 4 months will mean nothing.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    My local dealer has about 15 new Camry's, but only 1 Corolla on the lot - the demand is way up, and/or they aren't getting many yet.